PDA

View Full Version : UD's Harker Sees The Light On UD-DSU

Lehigh Football Nation
October 18th, 2007, 02:31 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071018/SPORTS07/710180332/1029/SPORTS08&theme=&GID=J8Z4YE47duvlPX9u+0VQfeHf1W9oT1X3q2RB8LKFZ4I%3D

NEWARK -- A regular-season football game between the University of Delaware and Delaware State University, which has never occurred, is going to happen, UD president Patrick Harker said Wednesday.

"We will get them on the schedule," Harker told The News Journal.

The heat appears to have worked...

Lehigh Football Nation
October 18th, 2007, 02:33 PM
But he did suggest a possible compromise in which DSU could actually be designated as the home team on a rotating basis for games at Delaware Stadium. Such an arrangement might require a unique set of financial agreements.

Honest, 89 and all you Delaware fans, I didn't talk to Harker! I swear!

xeekx xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 18th, 2007, 02:35 PM
This makes sense, puts the onus on DSU to give up the home and home in Dover to make it work. xnodx

LacesOut
October 18th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Get. It. Done.

Please.

mcveyrl
October 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM
What are the odds on ESPN taking all the credit for this??

First the Pearlman article, then OTL...

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2007, 02:45 PM
The schools never met head-to-head in any sport until a men's basketball game in 1991.

That is what shocked me! I understand the difficulties in scheduling a football game due to a number of factors, but you're saying they couldn't find a way to play a baseball or softball game, maybe soccer, or volleyball until 1991?

I've never heard of any university completely ignoring an in-state foe in "low profile" sports. It just seems to make sense to invite an in-state team or take a short road trip in olymic sports.

I know I'm looking in from the outside, but I think this a great idea.

ChickenMan
October 18th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Obviously UD has not wanted to schedule Del St in the past.. but it now appears that games(s) can take place.. but only if Del St drops their home/home demand. If the Del St AD continues to insist that UD play a return game in Dover.. a regular season game will never take place.

Monarch History
October 18th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Glad to see that this game may happen. The game will be good for the state of Delaware.

appstate38
October 18th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Obviously UD has not wanted to schedule Del St in the past.. but it now appears that games(s) can take place.. but only if Del St drops their home/home demand. If the Del St AD continues to insist that UD play a return game in Dover.. a regular season game will never take place.

Why??? Are you guys scared to play a road game. There has to be some logical reason for not wanting to go and play up there.

brownbear
October 18th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Why??? Are you guys scared to play a road game. There has to be some logical reason for not wanting to go and play up there.

Did you read the previous thread on this? That question must have been asked 50 or 60 times.

Most times the same answer: $

appstate38
October 18th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Did you read the previous thread on this? That question must have been asked 50 or 60 times.

Most times the same answer: $

Actually no I didn't read the previous thread on this answer.

I guess I don't get letting something as a home and home be a sticking point.

But I really don't have a dog in this fight so, if your scared then say it and be done with it.xpeacex

YoUDeeMan
October 18th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Glad to see that this game may happen. The game will be good for the state of Delaware.

Huh? xeyebrowx xconfusedx

ChickenMan
October 18th, 2007, 09:45 PM

For the same reason that an FBS school like Michigan doesn't play at other in-state FBS schools like Central Michigan .. Eastern Michigan or Western Michigan... $$$.

Del St may be in the same 'division' (FCS) as UD but they are worlds apart in terms of fan interest and revenue generating capasity. Why.. when UD can get numerous other FCS opponents to play only at Delaware Stadium.. should they give up an extra home game ($$$) just to appease the almost non-existent Del St fan base???

YoUDeeMan
October 18th, 2007, 09:46 PM

Technically, it is "down" there. DSU is south of UD. xwhistlex

blur2005
October 18th, 2007, 10:11 PM
UD's Delaware Stadium - capacity: 22,000
DSU's Alumni Stadium - capacity: 6,828

Considering the Blue Hen faithful would easily make the trip to DSU, enough to fill it up themselves, that is why it makes sense that UD doesn't want a home and home.

RadMann
October 18th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I have no interest now in the game to be honest. If the people crying racism get the game by playing the race card so be it, but I'd rather UD play anyone else after folks pulled that trash talk...

FCS Go!
October 18th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Technically, it is "down" there. DSU is south of UD. xwhistlex

Maybe DSU is at a higher elevation than UD? :D

RadMann
October 18th, 2007, 10:36 PM
No, lower on the elevation also....

SeattleGriz
October 18th, 2007, 10:44 PM

Huh... When Montana schedules a home game due to the money, we are labeled unfairly as "afraid" to play anywhere else, but I see when UD does the same, it is called fiscal responsibility.xwhistlex

brownbear
October 18th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Maybe DSU is at a higher elevation than UD? :D

Dover is elevation 36 ft, Newark 125 ft.

blukeys
October 18th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Huh... When Montana schedules a home game due to the money, we are labeled unfairly as "afraid" to play anywhere else, but I see when UD does the same, it is called fiscal responsibility.xwhistlex

No, when Montana contractually commits to a Home and Home and then backs out they are called on it for their duplicity. Delaware tells teams up front that it is a Home game only and offers a fair price for the other team's expenses with no expectation of a return pay back.

Never has Delaware backed out of a contractual Home and Home series unlike someone else. xnonox xnonox

blukeys
October 19th, 2007, 12:02 AM

Try this reason, there are 11,000+ UD season ticket holders and there are 6,000 seats at DSU.

This gets so annoying dealing with the ill informed. It would be different if there had not been a thread for the last 2 weeks going thru all of this but there was one. Learn to hit the search feature and educate yourself before posting and looking clueless.

appstate38
October 19th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to stir up the hen house... well maybe just a little bit.

You guys can do whatever the heck you want. Play'em or not. Heck if you want a great home and home you could always put the Apps on your schedule.

SeattleGriz
October 19th, 2007, 12:48 AM
No, when Montana contractually commits to a Home and Home and then backs out they are called on it for their duplicity. Delaware tells teams up front that it is a Home game only and offers a fair price for the other team's expenses with no expectation of a return pay back.

Never has Delaware backed out of a contractual Home and Home series unlike someone else. xnonox xnonox

Easy Francis. It wasn't a slam on UD. In fact if there was any team that would understand putting 22K+ butts in the stadium, it would be UD.

Tribe4SF
October 19th, 2007, 06:26 AM
I hope this game happens. Nice to see that the discussion of the obstacles has settled on realistic issues, like money. A few years ago the objections of some UD fans bordered on the absurd. Kudos to Pearlman for moving the discussion forward.

OhioHen
October 19th, 2007, 06:49 AM
For you Montana Fans:

And Harker, echoing athletic director Edgar Johnson, said Delaware would not likely break an existing agreement with an opposing school.

Bulldog87
October 19th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Will UD make a trip to DSU when they expand their stadium. There have been plans to expand their stadium to 20-25,000.

blukeys
October 19th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Will UD make a trip to DSU when they expand their stadium. There have been plans to expand their stadium to 20-25,000.

When did that happen? I know of no such plans. Why would anyone expand to 25,000 when they can't put 6,000 fans in the stands as it is.

bluehenbillk
October 19th, 2007, 08:27 AM

Plans and reality are 2 different things.

GannonFan
October 19th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I hope this game happens. Nice to see that the discussion of the obstacles has settled on realistic issues, like money. A few years ago the objections of some UD fans bordered on the absurd. Kudos to Pearlman for moving the discussion forward.

Pearlman gets no credit. Even when the game gets scheduled all he did was cast charges of racism without any basis and make a matter as trivial as a football game into a cultural struggle that never was. Of course the game will be played, and thankfully it won't be scheduled for at least 5 years (probably 2012 at the earliest) so hopefully the emotions and damage that something as inflammatory as what Pearlman wrote have time to settle down. Reckless charges of racism don't ever deserve kudos. xnonox

GannonFan
October 19th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to stir up the hen house... well maybe just a little bit.

You guys can do whatever the heck you want. Play'em or not. Heck if you want a great home and home you could always put the Apps on your schedule.

Never know, possibly Appy St will be next - we had Youngstown St for a home and home, then The Citadel for a 4 game series (home and home as well), we had Georgia Southern for a home and home after YSU backed out, and now we have Furman the next two years in a home and home. All that in a 10 year period. We do have SDSU for a 2 for 1 deal (2 at Newark and one in Brookings, SD) but a deal with Appy isn't far fetched.

Bulldog87
October 19th, 2007, 08:37 AM
When did that happen? I know of no such plans. Why would anyone expand to 25,000 when they can't put 6,000 fans in the stands as it is. Iread somewhere over the sommer tha DSU wants to eventually move up to FBS status. They wanted to expand their stadium to 20-25,000 for now and see if they can draw crowds on a regular basis. If this is successful than the plan would be to expand further to over 30,000 and move to the FBS. If the FBS move doesn't pan out apparently they would attempt to leave the MEAC for another FCS conference whrer they feel that their games would be better attended due to geography.

MR. CHICKEN
October 19th, 2007, 08:40 AM

WE'VE PLAYED YOUNGSTOWN STATE......WHO ONCE....DELAWARE LET OUT O' DUH CONTRACT.......FO' UH DELAWARE HOME GAME.....WHICH LED TA US BEIN' SO CHICKEN.......WE SKEDDED GEORGIA SOUTHERN...FO' HOME & HOME...(WHICH WE SPLIT)......WE GOT FURBAG COMIN' UP NEXT YEAR....H&H.....WE DONE DUH CITADEL..............WUDDAH LOVE TA SEE DUH MOUSEKETEERS......COME TA TUBBY'S LAWN.....FO' UH SCRUM.....xnodx...BRAWK!

GannonFan
October 19th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Iread somewhere over the sommer tha DSU wants to eventually move up to FBS status. They wanted to expand their stadium to 20-25,000 for now and see if they can draw crowds on a regular basis. If this is successful than the plan would be to expand further to over 30,000 and move to the FBS. If the FBS move doesn't pan out apparently they would attempt to leave the MEAC for another FCS conference whrer they feel that their games would be better attended due to geography.

They do have plans like you've detailed above. However, they have no means currently to fund those plans - very limited current fanbase (typically get about 3K for home games) and the state is unwilling to foot the bill for the grandiose stadium they want to build. Also the question of where they would go in FBS - the few DSU fans there are say they want to go to the MAC - not sure the MAC wants them. DSU's men's basketball program has done well over the past 2-4 years, but that's a recent phenomenon as well - no other sports are noteworthy at DSU. If they stay in FCS and feel the MEAC isn't for them, I've heard talk of the Big South. But like the stadium plans, it's only talk.

bluehenbillk
October 19th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I have plans to date Reese Witherspoon & Jessica Simpson too....

89Hen
October 19th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Here we go again. xrolleyesx xcoffeex

Should read... The game will be good for Delaware State.

GannonFan
October 19th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I have plans to date Reese Witherspoon & Jessica Simpson too....

And the odds of the state government of Delaware funding those two dates are just as likely as DSU getting the state to build it an FBS-style stadium. Frankly, I think the money is better spent getting the Reese date. xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 19th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Nice to see that the discussion of the obstacles has settled on realistic issues, like money. A few years ago the objections of some UD fans bordered on the absurd.
Such as?

89Hen
October 19th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Iread somewhere over the sommer tha DSU wants to eventually move up to FBS status. They wanted to expand their stadium to 20-25,000 for now and see if they can draw crowds on a regular basis. If this is successful than the plan would be to expand further to over 30,000 and move to the FBS. If the FBS move doesn't pan out apparently they would attempt to leave the MEAC for another FCS conference whrer they feel that their games would be better attended due to geography.
Some have speculated that this plan was announced merely to entice the state to give them the money for the stadium and that they probably knew that I-A was not in the cards. xeyebrowx

LacesOut
October 19th, 2007, 10:05 AM
The good news is that most likely this game will be played, but not until 2012. In Newark, where it should be played.

The bad news is that means about 5 more years of this topic. LOL

As a lifelong UD fan of 20+ years, (I'm not nearly as diehard as the UD posters here though), I've wanted to see this game for as long as I can remember. And I wouldn't mind seeing it a few times a decade, not just once.

89Hen
October 19th, 2007, 10:15 AM
The bad news is that means about 5 more years of this topic. LOL
Not if it's on the slate. xpeacex

MR. CHICKEN
October 19th, 2007, 10:16 AM

BROKEN GLASS....&....CHARRED REMNANTS.............GOOD FO' DUH STATE?......DUH RACE CARD HAS BEEN WRONGFULLY PLAYED AS DUH REASON WE DON'T PLAY......SO MUCH SO....DAT WHEN WE DO..........SOMEBODY GONNAH LOSE.......DEN WE ALL LOSE.........BASKETBALL & BASEBALL ARE MUCH CALMER SPORTS TA TAKE IN........(WE'VE PLAYED 'EM IN DOSE..AN' DERE WAS AN INCIDENT DOWN IN DOVER ON DUH HARDWOOD)....FOOTBALL IS EMOTION...&....VIOLENT....BAH NATURE...........AH'M BETTIN' LARGE QUANTITIES....O' DUCATS........DAT DERE WOULD BE PROBLEMS....xtwocentsx.................BRAWK!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2007, 10:19 AM
[/B]

BROKEN GLASS....&....CHARRED REMNANTS.............GOOD FO' DUH STATE?......DUH RACE CARD HAS BEEN WRONGFULLY PLAYED AS DUH REASON WE DON'T PLAY......SO MUCH SO....DAT WHEN WE DO..........SOMEBODY GONNAH LOSE.......DEN WE ALL LOSE.........BASKETBALL & BASEBALL ARE MUCH CALMER SPORTS TA TAKE IN........(WE'VE PLAYED 'EM IN DOSE..AN' DERE WAS AN INCIDENT DOWN IN DOVER ON DUH HARDWOOD)....FOOTBALL IS EMOTION...&....VIOLENT....BAH NATURE...........AH'M BETTIN' LARGE QUANTITIES....O' DUCATS........DAT DERE WOULD BE PROBLEMS....xtwocentsx.................BRAWK!

We'll see in November the day after Thanksgiving, won't we? xnodx

GannonFan
October 19th, 2007, 10:21 AM

If they both make it - neither is a sure thing at this point in time. xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 19th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I hope... Navy, JMU, Richmond and Nova have a big say as to whether that will happen.

MR. CHICKEN
October 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM
PLENTY O' LAND MINES..........AHEAD FO' DUH SQWADS O' DUH FIRST STATE......xnodx...BRAWK!

NAVY.....JMU.....RICHMOND......'NOVA!

MO'GAN STATE......SOUFF CAROLINAH STATE......WIN/SALEM......'FOLK STATE.......HOWARD......WELL MAYBEAH NOT DUH BISONS........BRAWK!

CHANCES ARE LOOKIN' THIN..........DOODLE-DOO-DOO!

Catsfan2
October 19th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Looking for the silver lining--maybe the perfect excuse to finally drop West Chester.

89Hen
October 19th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Looking for the silver lining--maybe the perfect excuse to finally drop West Chester.
THAT would be a benefit to UD fans. I stand corrected on this not being good for the whole state. xthumbsupx :p

MR. CHICKEN
October 19th, 2007, 10:41 AM

DUH RAMS PLAY LIKE SHEEP......BUT DERE OURAH SHEEP!

blukeys
October 19th, 2007, 01:46 PM

That wasn't a plan. It was a pipe dream.

hornetsrhorrible
October 19th, 2007, 02:43 PM
this is ultimately good for delaware, (now i know that the alumni from and living in pennsyltuckey, spew jersey and zoo york could care less about whats good for delaware, evidenced by their raping the delaware bay of its fish for free than charging delawareans ridiculous fees to fish thier states, trashing the beaches and highways and pouring their sewage in the delaware river) but i spoke to a friend who helps coach hs football downstate and he said his kids are stoked that this may happen! its something that delaware hs football needs. as a dsu alumni and proud "slower" delawarean i think they should take the offer to have all the games at ud for the stated reasons, if nothing else, at least raymond field will finally have a band that knows how to throw a halftime show!
(that post should stir the pot!)

MR. CHICKEN
October 19th, 2007, 10:55 PM
YEAH...WE NEEDS DUH FUNK....AT HALF-TIME........xnodx....BRAWK!

Tribe4SF
October 20th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Such as?

There was a lengthy thread on CAAZone detailing concerns about potential violence if the game were played, and citing that possibility as the real reason UD wouldn't allow it. The thinking behind those concerns was blatantly racist, and required numerous leaps of logic. There were several UD fans expressing those concerns, and supporting each others thinking. The thread eventually deteriorated into generally disparaging comments about Delaware State, its student body, and its faculty.

RadMann
October 20th, 2007, 11:27 AM
The violence at the game argument was made by one or two posters. Drop it already....

Tribe4SF
October 20th, 2007, 11:31 AM
The violence at the game argument was made by one or two posters. Drop it already....

He asked.....and it was just repeated to me in a pm from another Delaware fan.

RadMann
October 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Fine paint the entire institution on the posts of a few fans. Really, you folks need to grow up. UD wants no part in playing DSU for the same reasons WVU never wanted or wants to play Marshall. The race baiting is really childish trash talk. Stop it already!

TheTribeHasSpoken
October 20th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Why is HU not on W&M's schedule?

Tribe4SF
October 20th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Fine paint the entire institution on the posts of a few fans. Really, you folks need to grow up. UD wants no part in playing DSU for the same reasons WVU never wanted or wants to play Marshall. The race baiting is really childish trash talk. Stop it already!

Race baiting? So the thread on CAAZone never happened....89 didn't ask....and I didn't just get a pm reiterating the concern from one of your own. I quote..."Because it's happened in the past. Most recently at the Blue/Gold High School All-Star game".

I don't know who "you folks" are, but perhaps you are the one who needs to grow up. I've made no attempt to "paint the entire institution". Maybe what needs to stop is your defensiveness.

Tribe4SF
October 20th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Why is HU not on W&M's schedule?

They have been in the past (home and home), as has Norfolk State. I wish we played them every year. I think maybe we see it as too tough a game to play every year. We sure don't need any strength of schedule help.

89Hen
October 20th, 2007, 01:11 PM
There was a lengthy thread on CAAZone...
Nuff said... I don't go there for a reason. xpeacex