PDA

View Full Version : The CAA Today: Weeks Seven & Eight – CAA Madness About to Begin <---CSN

CSN-info
October 18th, 2007, 01:56 PM
The CAA Today: Weeks Seven & Eight – CAA Madness About to Begin
Bruce Dowd, CSN columnist

Bud Grant said, every head coach needs three things; he needs a patient wife, he needs a loyal dog, and he needs a hell of a quarterback; and not necessarily in that order.” I hope coach Talley of Villanova and coach McDonnell of New Hampshire have patient wives and loyal dogs, because they definitely have been blessed with quality quarterbacks.

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=88316

LacesOut
October 18th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Holy hell, excellent read.

Thanks for the link.

NovaWildcat
October 18th, 2007, 02:47 PM
"While Villanova is still young, they have something special going on there. In the next few years, they may actually be the team to beat. I know they are disappointed that they didn’t win, but congratulations to all of them for one of the gutsiest performances of the year."

If Nova wins out, we should be in the playoffs at 9-3. I know that's a big IF, but I fully expect to win our 2 home games (UDel, Hofstra), and Towson on the road. Richmond away is going to be a slugfest, if we can stop Hightower I think we can handle it.

LacesOut
October 18th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I fully expect to win our 2 home games (UDel, Hofstra), and Towson on the road. Richmond away is going to be a slugfest, if we can stop Hightower I think we can handle it.

Nova is that good?

TigerFan17
October 18th, 2007, 02:50 PM
If Nova wins out, we should be in the playoffs at 9-3. I know that's a big IF, but I fully expect to win our 2 home games (UDel, Hofstra), and Towson on the road. Richmond away is going to be a slugfest, if we can stop Hightower I think we can handle it.

xpopcornx

mcveyrl
October 18th, 2007, 02:50 PM
"While Villanova is still young, they have something special going on there. In the next few years, they may actually be the team to beat. I know they are disappointed that they didn’t win, but congratulations to all of them for one of the gutsiest performances of the year."

I'm glad we don't have 'Nova for another couple of years!!

mcveyrl
October 18th, 2007, 02:51 PM
xpopcornx

Me too! It's always great when this happens.

NovaWildcat
October 18th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Nova is that good?

We're definitely not that good.

But UDel and Hofstra have done NOTHING to show they are good football teams - besides beat up on nobodys.

Richmond, as I said, is scary.

GannonFan
October 18th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Slight correction - the UD game is not a home game for nova - maybe neutral at best, but nova gets no homefield advantage having thousands of Blue Hen fans fill up their stadium for them. It's kinda like charity - we go up there in force every other year to help stem the bleeding of the football budget. You're welcome. :p

mcveyrl
October 18th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Slight correction - the UD game is not a home game for nova - maybe neutral at best, but nova gets no homefield advantage having thousands of Blue Hen fans fill up their stadium for them. It's kinda like charity - we go up there in force every other year to help stem the bleeding of the football budget. You're welcome. :p

GF never fails to deliver.

GannonFan
October 18th, 2007, 02:55 PM

But UDel and Hofstra have done NOTHING to show they are good football teams - besides beat up on nobodys.

Yes, and that gauntlet of Lehigh, Penn, Maine, and William and Mary is certainly awe-inspiring as well. I seem to remember an adage about glass houses - you may want to look it up. xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
October 18th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I can't wait for the 'Nova-UD smack thread!!

NovaWildcat
October 18th, 2007, 03:00 PM
WE consider it charity that we allow you to call us 'rivals.' xlolx

Not saying our wins have been great, but you guys certainly do not deserve the ranking/praise that you have received.

TigerFan17
October 18th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Not saying our wins have been great, but you guys certainly do not deserve the ranking/praise that you have received.

Oh lord, I'm gonna run out of popcorn!

xpopcornx xpopcornx xpopcornx

LacesOut
October 18th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Beautiful.

mcveyrl
October 18th, 2007, 03:04 PM

YES!! It's here, it's here!

GannonFan
October 18th, 2007, 03:06 PM

No offense to the JMU guys, we think the rivalry between UD and JMU is pretty decent, but this is again why our only true rivals are the stinkin' nova wildcats. That is, until Temple stops soiling their pants everytime they think of the Hens and man up and start playing us again - but that's been 20 years running away for them so I'm not counting on it. xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
October 18th, 2007, 03:08 PM
No offense to the JMU guys, we think the rivalry between UD and JMU is pretty decent, but this is again why our only true rivals are the stinkin' nova wildcats. That is, until Temple stops soiling their pants everytime they think of the Hens and man up and start playing us again - but that's been 20 years running away for them so I'm not counting on it. xthumbsupx

No offense taken! Just here for the show.

NovaWildcat
October 18th, 2007, 03:10 PM
That's right. Temple is scared to play you.
Not scared of the other OCC's theyve played the last 3 years like Penn St, UConn, Louisville, Wisconsin, Miami and the rest...but scared of the fightin chickens.

GannonFan
October 18th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Anytime you guys want to drop football again for just sheer lack of interest let us know, and we'll bring a few more thousand than normal just to get you guys through the next couple of years. Although truth be told my back's starting to ache a little bit - it's getting tough carrying you guys like this. Any chance of doubling the fanbase you guys have and maybe have 8 whole people be considered the fanbase? Dare to dream, man, dare to dream.

And yes, Temple did drop us, starting in the mid 80's. It was better to take the paychecks from the teams you mentioned than continually lose to us every year, as they were doing, and this was even during the Paul Palmer days.

Oh, and in the interest of not having this thread moved to the smack page, I will refrain from smacking nova again in this thread. Besides, nova week is not here yet so this isn't even the full arsenal yet. I mean, 89's not even here yet. If you want to get one more smack in against UD feel free to, I'll let you have the last shot for now. I'm sure Rivalry Week will be plenty of fun. xthumbsupx

dukesfan74
October 18th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I'm for JMU and anybody playing App State

NovaWildcat
October 18th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Rivalry xnonox

NovaWildcat
October 18th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Anytime you guys want to drop football again for just sheer lack of interest let us know

The sheer lack of interest comes from playing teams that we don't play in any other sport / don't have name recognition. No offense, UDel isn't a 'name' school.

Should we be in the Big East (which is for another day - but thats a screwup on our old administration's part), then a 'lack' of fanbase would not be an issue here. Philly would come, if we give it the chance.

TigerFan17
October 18th, 2007, 03:22 PM
The sheer lack of interest comes from playing teams that we don't play in any other sport / don't have name recognition. No offense, UDel isn't a 'name' school.

Should we be in the Big East (which is for another day - but thats a screwup on our old administration's part), then a 'lack' of fanbase would not be an issue here. Philly would come, if we give it the chance.

I did hear that Philly fans are looking for another place to do the E-A-G-L-E-S chant now that the Phillies are out of the World Series race.

xsmiley_wix

URMite
October 18th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Back to the article - I just noticed the four teams with a bye...

Our last four opponents all have a bye on the same week?
Where are you guys meeting to discuss your upcoming games against Richmond? :p

bandl
October 18th, 2007, 03:39 PM
This is awesome!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx URMite, back off and let them bitch-slap each other! xnodx xnodx

Proud Griz Man
October 18th, 2007, 04:03 PM

But Nova is clearly better than Sacramento State. Bruce Dowd knows all. xviolinx I look forward to seeing his big round face on Mount Rushmore, someday.

ChickenMan
October 18th, 2007, 04:54 PM
A subpar game by UMass.. doesn't make Villanova a 'good' team. I saw Nova vs JMU and they were a looong way from being a good team. Their Fr QB had a nice game vs UMass.. but opposition defensive coordinators have gotten a look and they will now have the opportunity to game plan vs him. Expect things to get more a little more difficult for Mr Whitney in future games.

ChickenMan
October 18th, 2007, 04:57 PM

tell that to Towson... :p

DTSpider
October 18th, 2007, 05:17 PM

Interesting...when was the last time anyone ever said that Delaware & Hofstra were pushovers, and Richmond was impressive? I'd think you'd have to go back a good 30+ years.

Of course, he could have also meant that the city of Richmond is scary. After all, Oregon Hill, Church Hill, Southside, etc. can be a little dicey at night.

Proud Griz Man
October 18th, 2007, 05:47 PM
A subpar game by UMass.. doesn't make Villanova a 'good' team. I saw Nova vs JMU and they were a looong way from being a good team. Their Fr QB had a nice game vs UMass.. but opposition defensive coordinators have gotten a look and they will now have the opportunity to game plan vs him. Expect things to get more a little more difficult for Mr Whitney in future games.

I love your Honesty ChickenMan. xnodx

Cranium716
October 18th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Of course, he could have also meant that the city of Richmond is scary. After all, Oregon Hill, Church Hill, Southside, etc. can be a little dicey at night.

Don't forget Westhampton Lake, quite possibly the scariest part of U of R...God knows what kind of mutated creatures are living in there!

URMite
October 18th, 2007, 08:55 PM
This is awesome!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx URMite, back off and let them bitch-slap each other! xnodx xnodx

Damn it, I didn't mean for it to end. I just thought it was a good chance for a word from our sponsors before returning to RAW.

Oh well, we still have a few weeks of this to look forward to.

I'm sure the action will return soon.

YoUDeeMan
October 18th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Damn it, I didn't mean for it to end. I just thought it was a good chance for a word from our sponsors before returning to RAW.

Oh well, we still have a few weeks of this to look forward to.

I'm sure the action will return soon.

Not really.

By the time UD and nova hook up, the two or three nova fans will be gone...victims of a lack of sustainable interest. xnodx

bluehenbillk
October 19th, 2007, 06:52 AM
A Villanova fan on the board? It's hard to find Villanova fans when they play at Newark? Welcome misguided one. Does Fr. Lazor still have a drivers license?? Looking forward to propelling you into hoops season again.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 19th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Don't forget Westhampton Lake, quite possibly the scariest part of U of R...God knows what kind of mutated creatures are living in there!

Eh... That lake doesn't hold a candle to what's living in Newman Lake! I take pride in our muddy pool with a fountain whose bottom is no doubt littered with empty kegs. xnodx :D

xbawlingx long gone are the days of keg parties on campus... xbawlingx

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

bandl
October 19th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Eh... That lake doesn't hold a candle to what's living in Newman Lake! I take pride in our muddy pool with a fountain whose bottom is no doubt littered with empty kegs. xnodx :D

Were you at JMU in the late 90's when they drained Newman Lake when looking for a missing woman?? xsmhx

I've seen couches 'float' across Newman Lake in frat races. xeekx

I've seen dozens, if not hundreds, of sorority sluts puke AND urinate (via the squat) into Newman Lake. xeekx

JmuSkinsfan
October 19th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Were you at JMU in the late 90's when they drained Newman Lake when looking for a missing woman?? xsmhx

I've seen couches 'float' across Newman Lake in frat races. xeekx

I've seen dozens, if not hundreds, of sorority sluts puke AND urinate (via the squat) into Newman Lake. xeekx

Newman Lake is disgusting. Didn't they find a car at the bottom when they drained it? Oh well, I'm sure I'll still end up swimming across it before I graduate.

Cranium716
October 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Oh so true! I still refuse to believe that water actually fills the lake...It's more like a huge vat of beer mixed with undiscovered species of killer bacteria.

At least Richmond attempted to filter out the nastiness in their lake, it seems like we are proud about having a disgusting water hole, but rationalize it by saying that there's a gorgeous fountain in the middle of it, so it's ok!

NovaWildcat
October 19th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Looking forward to propelling you into hoops season again.

Look forward to ruining your glory season. Can't lose 3 of your last 4 and make the playoffs...

bandl
October 19th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Look forward to ruining your glory season. Can't lose 3 of your last 4 and make the playoffs...

Yeeeeeehaaaawwwww!!!!! Newbie!!!! xlolx xlolx

Everyone else...sit back...bring an umbrella....put on your worst clothes...'cause the *****-slingin' is about to start!!! xnodx xnodx

It's about 3 Villanovians against 480 Delawarians...shouldn't be a long fight. 'Tis a shame....xrotatehx xrotatehx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 19th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Intrepidly dares to walk into the middle of this argument...

...umm, I believe the Hens' glory year was 2003, but your point is well-taken!

Gets the living hell outta there before he steps in chicken **** or gets rabies from a wildcat! Brutal out here in the wilderness!

:D

ChickenMan
October 19th, 2007, 04:39 PM

There's a much better chance that Nova won't win another game this year.