PDA

View Full Version : Bill Callahan to Western Carolina?

drpnut
October 18th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I know the title shocked you. And I'm not at all saying this could remotely happen.

But let's think of this. A number of Big-Time college coaches could get tired of the pressure of the FBS (not to say there isn't pressure at the FCS level). Bill Callahan will probably get the axe by Tom Osborne, the new interim AD. Western could get rid of Briggs if someone ponied up the money. Again, I'm not saying either school will defininetly let their coaches go. I'm just thinking out loud.

A coach like Callahan could fill seats quickly. He could build a program that is in a good league, a good system- FCS, and he could make good money without the "junk" of the FBS.

I know Callahan won't land at WCU, but I do believe there are FBS coaches who would love to coach in the FCS and be very successful.

Just look up at Appy. They have a great coach that loves the FCS and probably would not ever go back to the FBS if given the chance. Watch over the next 2-3 years and see if it doesn't happen.

I'll bet a Beacon "Chili-Cheese" on it.

Peace

DuckDuckGriz
October 18th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Interesting, I never thought about that. I'm curious as to see what happens with Joe Glenn out of Wyoming - if either Nebraska or A&M hire him (stay with me here - he's well known in Nebraska), and Callahan swaps and goes to Wyoming.

HIU 93
October 18th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I know the title shocked you. And I'm not at all saying this could remotely happen.

But let's think of this. A number of Big-Time college coaches could get tired of the pressure of the FBS (not to say there isn't pressure at the FCS level). Bill Callahan will probably get the axe by Tom Osborne, the new interim AD. Western could get rid of Briggs if someone ponied up the money. Again, I'm not saying either school will defininetly let their coaches go. I'm just thinking out loud.

A coach like Callahan could fill seats quickly. He could build a program that is in a good league, a good system- FCS, and he could make good money without the "junk" of the FBS.

I know Callahan won't land at WCU, but I do believe there are FBS coaches who would love to coach in the FCS and be very successful.

Just look up at Appy. They have a great coach that loves the FCS and probably would not ever go back to the FBS if given the chance. Watch over the next 2-3 years and see if it doesn't happen.

Peace

Slowly, put the pipe down and move away from it.xlolx

drpnut
October 18th, 2007, 09:54 AM
HIU 93

Hey dude, this stuff is supposed to be fun and silly at times. There are enough uptight people on AGS. I like loosening them up. And your reference to the pipe was a bit humurous but very much "elementary school."

Why not get in the dialogue. If you don't think there are some FBS coaches that would burn-out from the pressure and come to FCS then you are living in the clouds.

I'm not saying there will be a mass exodus. I just think it is good to think "outside the box" and crazy some times.

Peace.

Appaholic
October 18th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Peace

Only problem with that scenario is he would still be in Cullowhee.....he'll probably wait until Jerry Moore retires and come to Boone....a real college town..xsmiley_wix

Biff
October 18th, 2007, 10:05 AM
drpnut, learn to take a joke.

You are right though. FCS is much better football the FBS, simply because ours boys play in a playoff system. At the end of the playoffs, no one ever questions whose number one.

Just ask my 2006 FBS Champion, Boise State. They were undefeated and never got a chance to compete for the title.

catdaddy2402
October 18th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Well, seeing as how Western Carolina did Clemson a favor by sending us Jack Leggett, I think it's time Clemson repaid the favor.

We'll send you guys Tommy Bowden.xsmiley_wix

HIU 93
October 18th, 2007, 10:24 AM
HIU 93

Hey dude, this stuff is supposed to be fun and silly at times. There are enough uptight people on AGS. I like loosening them up. And your reference to the pipe was a bit humurous but very much "elementary school."

Why not get in the dialogue. If you don't think there are some FBS coaches that would burn-out from the pressure and come to FCS then you are living in the clouds.

I'm not saying there will be a mass exodus. I just think it is good to think "outside the box" and crazy some times.

Peace.

Sensitive, aren't you?xlolx

Dude, Callahan is a former NFL head coach with connections, AND he is well liked in the coaching fraternity. there is no way he is going to take a Six-figure pay cut to come to WCU. That would be like saying we are going to hire Al Groh after he leaves UVA. That doesn't make sense.

drpnut
October 18th, 2007, 10:35 AM
HIU-93

No, I'm not that sensitive, I know you were just joking. But I need to go a little further.

The title was a tease to get folks talking about FBS coaches taking FCS jobs and doing it willingly. I thought I was clear in saying that I know Callahan is not going to WCU.

I know he is well connected, et all.. But the bottom line is I believe FBS coaches (some) will find a better home in the FCS. Not because we are a demotion, nor a place of exhiled big league coaches. But, instead because we have a playoff system, the pressure is less, the money is good, and the fans are just as loyal.

I just moved from the Clemson area, and a couple of years ago there was a strong rumor going around that DAnny Ford would come out of retirement and go to WCU. He could still live on his farm, drive about an hour a day, and probably make things happen.

Do you think Coach Moore is happier at Appy St. than the "big time FBS?"

I think so. And changing sports a minute... Buzz Peterson got canned (wrongfully I think) at UT and then went to Coastal Carolina. He is now with the BobCAts, only because his college room mate is in charge.

Just thoughts my friends.

Peace.

KiddBrewer
October 18th, 2007, 11:07 AM
from NFL, to Nebraska, to Western Carolina....what a reversed road.....ha just kidding, it would be good for him and western...i wish theyd do something, a rivalry is supposed to be where both teams have a chance at winning the game...

brownbear
October 18th, 2007, 11:40 AM
In 2002, he was in the Super Bowl with Oakland, and in 2008, he'd be in Cullowhee?

It's possible, but that's a huge jump (or fall).

blueballs
October 18th, 2007, 02:57 PM
HIU is right about Callahan... he'd likely wind up as a coordinator in 1-A or an NFL positions coach or maybe even an NFL coordinator.

The more likely Western Carolina connection to Nebraska in the near future would be for Nebraska to make a pitch to WCU alum Paul Johnson come this winter.

HIU 93
October 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM
HIU-93
Do you think Coach Moore is happier at Appy St. than the "big time FBS?"

For now? Yes. However, let a Texas, Nebraska, Florida, et. al., call Boone. Coach Moore will leave faster. than the Road Runner could say "beep-beep".

Coaches love their sport, but they love money as well. If a BIG FBS program calls offering high seven figures, ASU will be looking for a new coach.

catamount man
October 18th, 2007, 08:18 PM
We need to can our entire administration along with the present football coach to make ANYTHING happen in Cullowhee.

GO CATS!!!

AppGirl
October 18th, 2007, 10:00 PM
For now? Yes. However, let a Texas, Nebraska, Florida, et. al., call Boone. Coach Moore will leave faster. than the Road Runner could say "beep-beep".

Coaches love their sport, but they love money as well. If a BIG FBS program calls offering high seven figures, ASU will be looking for a new coach.

I think you're wrong. Coach Moore was at Texas Tech. He was let go, left coaching for a while, App was his first position back as a head coach. He loves coaching and he loves App. He was making more money in the business world, but quit to VOLUNTEER with Arkansas. He ain't going nowhere else. xcoffeex

Eyes of Old Main
October 18th, 2007, 10:46 PM
The more likely Western Carolina connection to Nebraska in the near future would be for Nebraska to make a pitch to WCU alum Paul Johnson come this winter.

Bear Bryant always said he came back to Alabama because "Mama called". Maybe "Mama" would call PJ back to Cullowhee. Talk about pissing some folks off in Stateboro...

Appaholic
October 18th, 2007, 11:03 PM

I don't think so.....maybe ten years ago, but not now.....he had left coaching after being dismissed at Texas Tech (or North Texas...I forget the order) and went into real estate....made a f^ck ton of money apparantly, but was unhappy and accepted the App St....truly a labor of love as has stated numerous times....he's 67 or 68 and he and his family love the community.....he'll retire here....and has already turned down opportunities to leave for bigger ponds...

blueballs
October 18th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Bear Bryant always said he came back to Alabama because "Mama called". Maybe "Mama" would call PJ back to Cullowhee. Talk about pissing some folks off in Stateboro...

I think Johnson is making over $1mm/yr and has a guaranteed contract with a buyout for quite a few years. It would bankrupt WCU's athletic dept and booster organization to try to trump that.

The Cats
October 19th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Bear Bryant always said he came back to Alabama because "Mama called". Maybe "Mama" would call PJ back to Cullowhee.

Mama calls every day..... I just don't think PJ is answering the phone.

brownbear
October 19th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I think Johnson is making over $1mm/yr and has a guaranteed contract with a buyout for quite a few years. It would bankrupt WCU's athletic dept and booster organization to try to trump that.

If he gets offers from BCS schools, he is looking at a much bigger contract probably, which means WCU has to beat out a bigger contract.

Ivytalk
October 19th, 2007, 09:00 AM
If Callahan keeps losing games and continues to be quoted as ripping Tom Osborne, he'll be on the curb in short order. But I don't see him taking an FCS job.xtwocentsx

UDBlueLotFan
October 19th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Coach Carr/UM might be available to fill a WCU job? Uhhmm, Coach Moore in the maze/bluexconfusedx ...PJ's mom lives in the midwest. Her name is Tom Osbourne...and PJ's is answering this phone callxthumbsupx

blueballs
October 19th, 2007, 10:24 AM
If Callahan keeps losing games and continues to be quoted as ripping Tom Osborne, he'll be on the curb in short order. But I don't see him taking an FCS job.xtwocentsx

I'd be willing to bet it is fait accompli...

... I could envision Turner Gill, who is the HC at Buffalo, getting the job but if I were Osborne I'd go after Johnson.

Purple Knight
October 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Both Chatt & Western need to look at someone knowledgable in the spread offense, such as an assistant at App, Wofford, West Va etc. They do that and the SouCon will become a free-for-all.

NashMoc
October 19th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Both Chatt & Western need to look at someone knowledgable in the spread offense, such as an assistant at App, Wofford, West Va etc. They do that and the SouCon will become a free-for-all.

It will be an interesting offseason in Chattanooga. This will likely be AD Rick Hart's first big hire since coming to UTC. I don't think RA will win enough games this season to keep his job. The name being talked about most of all on the Mocs board is North Alabama's HC Mark Hudspeth.

blueballs
October 19th, 2007, 10:57 AM
It will be an interesting offseason in Chattanooga. This will likely be AD Rick Hart's first big hire since coming to UTC. I don't think RA will win enough games this season to keep his job. The name being talked about most of all on the Mocs board is North Alabama's HC Mark Hudspeth.

You'd do very well to hire him.

flexbone
October 19th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Here is the problem with your logic - $$$ Money $$$
HIU 93 hit it on the head -
Coaches with the following AREN'T going to do it
1.-a coach with connections
2. a desire to compete at the highest level
3. not near retirement - and still wanting to "Get Paid"

I don't have the stats to back me up right off hand, but the difference between - lets say what Georgia pays verse Georgia Southern is STAGGERING.
Nebraska - W Carolina = same thing.

The only chance you ( We ) got is to get an "Up and Coming" guy who wants to make his "Name". But then the FBS teams will lure him away with $$$$.

Better yet, If you want to fill the seat do what Portland State did and get a guy who is on the down swing of his career.

Not to slam Moore at App State - But due to his age I don't see any big time FBS schools that would even consider him as a candidate. Again that is not a slam, I'm sure HE IS HAPPY right where he is.

These numbers may be off but I think Richt makes @ 2.5 million and maybe Hatcher makes @200k, lets say he makes 250k. If I asked you to leave your job for a new one making 5 x's your current salary !!!!!!!!!!!
Would ya do it?

appstate38
October 19th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Here is the problem with your logic - $$$ Money $$$
HIU 93 hit it on the head -
Coaches with the following AREN'T going to do it
1.-a coach with connections
2. a desire to compete at the highest level
3. not near retirement - and still wanting to "Get Paid"

I don't have the stats to back me up right off hand, but the difference between - lets say what Georgia pays verse Georgia Southern is STAGGERING.
Nebraska - W Carolina = same thing.

The only chance you ( We ) got is to get an "Up and Coming" guy who wants to make his "Name". But then the FBS teams will lure him away with $$$$.

Better yet, If you want to fill the seat do what Portland State did and get a guy who is on the down swing of his career.

Not to slam Moore at App State - But due to his age I don't see any big time FBS schools that would even consider him as a candidate. Again that is not a slam, I'm sure HE IS HAPPY right where he is.

These numbers may be off but I think Richt makes @ 2.5 million and maybe Hatcher makes @200k, lets say he makes 250k. If I asked you to leave your job for a new one making 5 x's your current salary !!!!!!!!!!!
Would ya do it?

Understood, Coach Moore is probably thinking more in terms of what is his legacy going to be. He has been a App long enough and accomplished enough to have something in KBS named after him.

How does Moore Field at Kidd Brewer Stadium sound???xthumbsupx

drpnut
October 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Good thread folks... I didn't know I would start something this interesting.

Believe it or not not everyone is interested in just money.

And again, I originally used Coach Callahan as a "starter" to get this thing going.

I do believe there are coaches out there in the FBS that are decent to good coaches that would like to coach in the FCS better. This number is probably not a large one, but nevertheless, being in the "Big-time" pressure does have it's disadvantages. And how much money is enough?

Let's say a coach like Callahan has already made 15 million in his career. Is making another 2-3 million a year really more important than being at a place you are happy and making 300-500K.

I've left six figures on the table from a family business and pursued my calling to make in the $60's. And I'm much happier.

Peace

catamount man
October 19th, 2007, 05:54 PM

xbowx xbowx xbowx Would be a GREAT hire and it would show that your AD and administration are serious about football. Meanwhile, Kent will finish 1-10 this year and we'll hear all off season about "we're close, we're close". Heck at a fundraiser this past August, he bored the crowd with what it meant to be a "true catamount" and then asked his wife and secretary to stand up and bragged how THEY were "true catamounts". I didn't know whether to puke or laugh out loud.xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

appfan2008
October 19th, 2007, 08:06 PM
would be fun to see if only because it might make wcu a good team again... which would be nice