PDA

View Full Version : #1 UNI @ #17 Western Illinois

unigriff
October 18th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Gateways Game of the Week featured on FSN Midwest.

Panthers are coming off an emotional victory of then #7 Southern Illinois 30-24 after a tremendous, and wild final play. New Hampshire fans can relate from 2005 playoffs.

This game pits the two top teams in the GFC against each other in a game that will put the winner in the drivers seat and garuntee a top 3 finish in the conference.

UNI has a balanced offensive attack and will use its spread offense to take WIU out of its game. WIU has a superior running game in Donaldson but the UNI Running Defense is giving up less than 85 yards a game. WIUs defense is the league leader in turnovers. One team will have to give.
WIU came into the UNI-Dome in 2006 and thumped then #7 UNI 24-13. IT was never really close.

Should be a great game and sounds to be a gorgeous night to watch some football in western illinois.

#1 UNI 6-0 (2-0) vs. #17 WIU 5-2 (2-0)

spelunker64
October 18th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Good comparison game with NDSU. UNI should win no problem though...

matboz
October 18th, 2007, 10:15 AM
After the embarrassment in the dome last year I just don't see them taking Western lightly this year. I think UNI wins big on the road.

skinny_uncle
October 18th, 2007, 11:31 AM
UNI should win. However, you can't take anything for granted in the Gateway.

SeattleGriz
October 18th, 2007, 11:56 AM
UNI wins. Don't know enough about WIU to view them as a strong enough team to win this one.

Mountain Panther
October 18th, 2007, 11:59 AM
UNI wins. Don't know enough about WIU to view them as a strong enough team to win this one.

WIU has a solid team this year. IF we play to our potential we'll take this one.

Key word is IF.

pantherfan
October 18th, 2007, 12:55 PM
UNI by 11.

elkmcc
October 18th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Watch out UNI. W. Illinois must be good if NDSU put them on their schedule.xrolleyesx

Hansel
October 18th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Watch out UNI. W. Illinois must be good if NDSU put them on their schedule.xrolleyesx
Bison envy :p

skinny_uncle
October 18th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Bison envy :p
xlolx

Mountain Panther
October 18th, 2007, 02:16 PM
At this point in the voting people think WIU has a better shot at us than SIU xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

douglasdmb
October 18th, 2007, 02:23 PM
At this point in the voting people thing WIU has a better shot at us than SIU xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Anyone has a better shot at beating UNI if the game isn't played in the Dome.

Mountain Panther
October 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Well, EVERYONE plays better at home, but we are 6-1 in our last 7 road games.

October 14 at Indiana State W 34-14
October 21 at Youngstown State W 31-23
November 11 at Southern Illinois L 47-23

September 8 at Iowa State W 24-13
September 15 at South Dakota State W 31-17
September 22 at Drake W 45-7
September 29 at Illinois State W 23-13

leatherneck177
October 18th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I do not feel that great about our passing attack, which could pose a problem. Last year, even though LaFalce wasn't that great, our offense had more balance. I am concerned what we will turn to if we are not able to run the ball effectively. Typically when the game is at Hanson Field it has been more competitive, so I'll go out on a limb:

WIU 28
UNI 27

spelunker64
October 18th, 2007, 03:26 PM

Since I can't red-dot you twice in the same day, I'll verbally give you one.

Mountain Panther
October 18th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Yet another thread highjacked by the Griz-Bison hate-fest. xnonono2x

skinny_uncle
October 18th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I do not feel that great about our passing attack, which could pose a problem. Last year, even though LaFalce wasn't that great, our offense had more balance. I am concerned what we will turn to if we are not able to run the ball effectively. Typically when the game is at Hanson Field it has been more competitive, so I'll go out on a limb:

WIU 28
UNI 27
Probably the key to the game. If Donaldson can't get his yards, the Leathernecks are in trouble. UNI has the top-ranked run D in the Gateway. WIU has the lowest ranked Pass offense in the league. That's why I think the Leathernecks are in trouble Saturday. You are just going to have a tough time scoring.

Mountain Panther
October 18th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Probably the key to the game. If Donaldson can't get his yards, the Leathernecks are in trouble. UNI has the top-ranked run D in the Gateway. WIU has the lowest ranked Pass offense in the league. That's why I think the Leathernecks are in trouble Saturday. You are just going to have a tough time scoring.

And we have about 8 experienced guys we can rotate in on the D-Line to keep it fresh and hopefully stop the running game.

elkmcc
October 18th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Since I can't red-dot you twice in the same day, I'll verbally give you one.

Oh darn. Now you have gone and ruined my day. xlolx

WIUFan
October 18th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Reasons WIU will win:

1) WIU is playing at home
2) UNI will probably have an emotional letdown after SIU
3) WIU is a lot better than they were last year, especially on defense
4) WIU won last year 24-13, in the dome, and Donaldson still rushed for 107 yards
5) Its family weekend at WIU, so the turnout should be large at Hanson Field
6) WIUs passing game is due, Carl Sims is a good receiver

WIU 34, UNI 17

Mountain Panther
October 18th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Eric Sanders' stats at Hanson Field in 2005, as a sophmore:

C/ATT: 18/26

YDS: 244

AVG: 9.4

TD: 2

INT: 0

PantherRob82
October 18th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Never stopped us before.

Like we did in the 1st Round of the 2005 playoffs? xrolleyesx

So are we.

4) WIU won last year 24-13, in the dome, and Donaldson still rushed for 107 yards
Last year counts for nothing.

It was Homecoming in 2005. We were fine.

Not even sure this needs a rebuttal. xlolx

WIU 34, UNI 17
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

If WIU wins, this will not be anywhere near the score or margin of victory.
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

:D

Neckfansince71
October 18th, 2007, 09:03 PM
The question is, how good is the WIU defense????? I say really good. A couple of bone head plays against NDST did us in....not this time. UNI is going to put alot of people in the box to stop the run, guess we will have to pass a little to have some fun. The catches we dropped versus Illinois we are going to get, by the time the night is over our expectations will have been met! I was there for the blocked extra point for two and ot game, I will be there for this one. WIU 26-UNI 24!

jc

pantherfan
October 18th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Reasons WIU will win:

WIU 34, UNI 17

Funniest post OF THE SEASON!xlolx

Chi Panther
October 18th, 2007, 10:58 PM
08/30/07 vs. Minnesota State-Mankato UNI-Dome (Cedar Falls, Iowa) W, 41-14
09/08/07 at Iowa State Ames, Iowa W, 24-13
09/15/07 at South Dakota State Brookings, S.D. W, 31-17
09/22/07 at Drake Des Moines, Iowa W, 45-7
09/29/07 at Illinois State* Normal, Ill. W, 23-13
10/13/07 vs. Southern Illinois*
Homecoming UNI-Dome (Cedar Falls, Iowa) W, 30-24

I think UNI will score more than 17 in this one......and WIU scoring 34 might be a stretch.....

No_Skill
October 18th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Yet another thread highjacked by the Griz-Bison hate-fest. xnonono2x

Started by.......

Should be a good game. I wish I could see it.

Dome fan
October 19th, 2007, 01:30 AM
I think UNI has a good day with balanced pass/rush offense. WIU wont get enough on the ground and will need more pass and UNI gets one or a few int's.

UNI - 30+

WIU - <20

spelunker64
October 19th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Reasons WIU will win:

WIU 34, UNI 17

How'd that all go for the NDSU game...xrolleyesx :)

But you do have family weekend going for ya though. xeyebrowx

leatherneck177
October 19th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Reasons WIU will win:

WIU 34, UNI 17

I hope that is the case, but that is pretty optimistic. I see the game being extremely tight IF we win. Unfortunately we have not had a big W in a few years. Last year in the dome we played well, but had nothing to lose. This time the game means something and I would actually like to see us step up to the challenge. It just seems like we shoot ourselves in the foot sometimes with bad penalties, turnovers and an inconsistent offense.

douglasdmb
October 19th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Is Fox Sports showing this game live or on tape delay?

Purple Reign
October 19th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Dome envy

PR

unigriff
October 19th, 2007, 01:54 PM
the game is Live...FSN Midwest..6:37 kickoff

pantheralum16
October 19th, 2007, 03:05 PM
UNI has proved themselves on the road this year and will continue that streak this weekend. But I do believe that there may be a small letdown from last week to make me cringe a couple times in the 1st quarter Saturday, but after that, all panthers...35-10 UNIxthumbsupx

Houndawg
October 19th, 2007, 04:18 PM
08/30/07 vs. Minnesota State-Mankato UNI-Dome (Cedar Falls, Iowa) W, 41-14
09/08/07 at Iowa State Ames, Iowa W, 24-13
09/15/07 at South Dakota State Brookings, S.D. W, 31-17
09/22/07 at Drake Des Moines, Iowa W, 45-7
09/29/07 at Illinois State* Normal, Ill. W, 23-13
10/13/07 vs. Southern Illinois*
Homecoming UNI-Dome (Cedar Falls, Iowa) W, 30-24

I think UNI will score more than 17 in this one......and WIU scoring 34 might be a stretch.....

I don't see WIU having much more success running than SIU did; it would take a major emotional letdown by UNI to keep WIU in the game.

WIUFan
October 19th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Funniest post OF THE SEASON!xlolx

Hey c'mon guys, if I can't make overblown predictions here, where can I make them? :D

Yes, UNI is the #1 team right now, and deservedly so. All I'm trying to say is that I feel the intangibles are in WIUs favor for this game. Remember, WIU was picked fifth this year in the Gateway. They really have nothing to loose, so I think this game could suprise people. I expect typically conservative play calling from Patterson. Donaldson right, Donaldson left, Donaldson up the middle, rinse and repeat. I know Donaldson isn't going to rush for 300+ yards again, but if that works, UNI could be in trouble. I know UNIs run defense is good, but the running back tandem at WIU is arguably the best they've played this year. As long as WIU keeps the ball safe, and doesn't run any stupid gadget plays like the one they ran before halftime against NDSU, I expect a really good game.

I guess we will all find out soon.

pantherfan
October 20th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Hey c'mon guys, if I can't make overblown predictions here, where can I make them? :D

Yes, UNI is the #1 team right now, and deservedly so. All I'm trying to say is that I feel the intangibles are in WIUs favor for this game. Remember, WIU was picked fifth this year in the Gateway. They really have nothing to loose, so I think this game could suprise people. I expect typically conservative play calling from Patterson. Donaldson right, Donaldson left, Donaldson up the middle, rinse and repeat. I know Donaldson isn't going to rush for 300+ yards again, but if that works, UNI could be in trouble. I know UNIs run defense is good, but the running back tandem at WIU is arguably the best they've played this year. As long as WIU keeps the ball safe, and doesn't run any stupid gadget plays like the one they ran before halftime against NDSU, I expect a really good game.

I guess we will all find out soon.

WIU/UNI is always a fun game. I'm not convinced that WIU is much better than the preseason talk though; 4th best I suppose is better than 5th... WIU has done what I would have expected of them at this point in the season. The only problem the 'Necks have are that there may not be another W on the schedule...xcoffeex Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not putting tommorow's game in the win column for UNI just yet, but WIU has 4 of their toughest games still to play. That's why I like how UNI's schedule lines up IF we can pull it off tommorow; VERY favorable stretch run...

WIUFan
October 20th, 2007, 01:59 AM
WIU/UNI is always a fun game. I'm not convinced that WIU is much better than the preseason talk though; 4th best I suppose is better than 5th... WIU has done what I would have expected of them at this point in the season. The only problem the 'Necks have are that there may not be another W on the schedule...xcoffeex Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not putting tommorow's game in the win column for UNI just yet, but WIU has 4 of their toughest games still to play. That's why I like how UNI's schedule lines up IF we can pull it off tommorow; VERY favorable stretch run...

I think that in the case of WIU and YSU it's still too early to make assumptions. WIU is still and unknown quantity. The defense has looked at lot better than expected, and shut down the supposedly strong MSU offense. But, they need to win games they are supposed to loose, which they haven't proven they can do yet (with exception to SDSU). YSU might be not as good as expected, they almost lost to SUU last weekend, and they got beat by SIU. If you look past preseason expectations and current rankings, and look solely at record and common opponents, the Gateway is still pretty much a four team race, with too many unknowns right now to make predictions.

Fair gateway assumptions:

1) UNI is good
2) SIU is good, but to a lesser degree than UNI
3) Neither MSU or ISU have a defense
4) Indiana State is still the doormat

What I hope to find out tommorrow:

1) Is WIU legit?
2) Is YSU worth the pre-season rankings?
3) Is Illinois State really as bad as they were against MSU?

Looking forward to tommorrow.

nmatsen
October 20th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Good comparison game with NDSU. UNI should win no problem though...

Okay, lets compare. Never mind, this needs its own thread.

PantherRob82
October 21st, 2007, 09:02 AM
Reasons WIU will win:

WIU 34, UNI 17

bump ;)

Killsback
October 21st, 2007, 09:20 AM
Complete domination by UNI. One punt the whole game on their first possession. Only 8 passes thrown by Sanders....