View Full Version : NC Central 23, NC A&T 22

Lumberjacks76
September 5th, 2005, 07:44 PM
A shocking upset of a Division I-AA team by a Division II team.

Paul

Retro
September 5th, 2005, 08:01 PM
There were a few upsets by lower division teams over I-AA teams... I believe Butler, St, peters, Savannah state and Norfolk State all lost to lower div teams as well..

JMU Duke Dog
September 5th, 2005, 08:29 PM
I heard that North Carolina Central might move up to Division I-AA in 2006 with its rival Winston-Salem State which is definitely moving up to I-AA next season.

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2005, 08:32 PM
I heard that North Carolina Central might move up to Division I-AA in 2006 with its rival Winston-Salem State which is definitely moving up to I-AA next season.

Where would they play? Conference-wise...

So Winston-Salem State is moving up to Div I across the board?

Hansel
September 5th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Where would they play? Conference-wise...

So Winston-Salem State is moving up to Div I across the board?
I'm guessing MEAC???

blukeys
September 5th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I'm guessing MEAC???

both would be good fits for the MEAC

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 5th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Yea the Meac is trying to get 12 football playing members.

Baldy
September 5th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Yea the Meac is trying to get 12 football playing members.

What about SSU?
I know their entire program is in shambles with all the scandals and corruption, but they've been wanting to get into the MEAC since long before they ever moved to D-I.

Big Dawg
September 5th, 2005, 11:40 PM
I'm still confused about NCCU beating NCA&T. I mean I know it's a rivalry game and all, but that shouldn't happen.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 6th, 2005, 12:37 AM
I'm still confused about NCCU beating NCA&T. I mean I know it's a rivalry game and all, but that shouldn't happen.
They have a lot of former Jackson State players. NCCU's offensive cordinator is Daryl Asberry the former Jackson State offensive cordinator when JSU led DI-AA in offense. James "DUMB" Bell ran alot of the offensive players away when they complained about his offense which was close to last in DI-AA. Those offensive players went to NCCU. I saw the WR Ross score the winning TD. He started at JSU as a true freshman and was a hell of a player. Cletis Gordon was his back-up at WR.

SuperJon
September 6th, 2005, 08:11 AM
I know it's a homer pick but would either one of em have any chance of moving to the Big South? I know the BSC is looking for a sixth member in football.

Thumper250
September 6th, 2005, 08:16 AM
That's a game that Central has won before and is a huge, huge rivalry in the state. Probably not as much of an upset as some of you folks think.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2005, 11:21 AM
NC Central had beaten NCAT just two or three years back, if my memory serves me right. It's not that uncommon for the Aggies to get popped by their longtime rivals. But this is also an NCAT squad that is expected to finish near the bottom of the MEAC.

Ralph, isn't Meackie a banned topic on AGS? We don't want to be scaring any little ones around here.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2005, 11:29 AM
I know it's a homer pick but would either one of em have any chance of moving to the Big South? I know the BSC is looking for a sixth member in football.
I know that Winston-Salem State has had some conversations with the Big South office, but all indications say they will land in the MEAC. There has been some talk of maybe Delaware State bolting the MEAC and they have made overtures to the Big South. The MEAC currently has nine members, so three more (if Delaware State stays put) would give them 12 and allow them to split into two divisions and play a league championship game.

TheValleyRaider
September 6th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I know that Winston-Salem State has had some conversations with the Big South office, but all indications say they will land in the MEAC. There has been some talk of maybe Delaware State bolting the MEAC and they have made overtures to the Big South. The MEAC currently has nine members, so three more (if Delaware State stays put) would give them 12 and allow them to split into two divisions and play a league championship game.

If that's the case, would the MEAC then go the SWAC route and hold its Championship game during the I-AA playoffs, thereby pulling their (presumably) two best teams out of the postseason? It would be a real shame if they did :(

Mr. C
September 6th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I would see the MEAC playing a championship game on the final weekend before the playoffs begin and continuing to send a team to the playoffs.

sceagle
September 6th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing SC State leave the MEAC and join the SoCon. I think there have been talks of the MEAC pulling out of the playoffs but SCSU doesn't want that.

89Hen
September 6th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Every time NCCU has beaten NCA&T, it has been a year when NCA&T is down. This isn't really that rare of an occurrance...

Year NCA&T record
2002 4-8
1988 2-9
1987 3-8
1984 2-8
1981 3-8

eaglesrthe1
September 6th, 2005, 03:03 PM
SSU has already paid an application fee to the MEAC conference. If they are denied, they have mentioned the Big South as a possible alternative. I hope that they land somewhere, it would help to stabilize the program.

WUTNDITWAA
September 6th, 2005, 03:39 PM
I can see this happen: MEAC expands to 12 teams, plays a title game and then plays the SWAC champ for the HBCU National Title in kind of a four-team playoff.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 6th, 2005, 04:08 PM
I can see this happen: MEAC expands to 12 teams, plays a title game and then plays the SWAC champ for the HBCU National Title in kind of a four-team playoff.
You forgot to mention the part about being televised live on ESPN. :D

WUTNDITWAA
September 6th, 2005, 04:58 PM
You forgot to mention the part about being televised live on ESPN. :D

Yep, and the beauty, if you will, about it would be that the two conference title game losers could play each other for the No. 3 spot, and it would at least get coverage on ESPNU. :rolleyes:

There is money to be had in this, and MEACKIE can be seen by a national television audience.

SoCon48
September 6th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Rod Broadway, coach of NCCU, played high school ball where I was helping his senior year. Class act then and now.
Rod lost his wife to cancer last year.

89Hen
September 7th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I can see this happen: MEAC expands to 12 teams, plays a title game and then plays the SWAC champ for the HBCU National Title
I think they could develop some kind of heritage in that kind of game. :p

ravinggoat
September 7th, 2005, 03:51 PM

I keep hearing Presbyterian College is thinking of moving to I-AA and probably into the Big South.