PDA

View Full Version : Hey I-Con.........G-men..............Grambling.

jstate83
October 17th, 2007, 06:39 PM
JSU can be nice sometimes .......................We still gonna win the game though. xlolx

40 YEARS AT MEMORIAL

A face-off between the last two teams undefeated in conference play draws plenty of interest.
The game being broadcast nationally on ESPN Classic adds a little more flavor.

Tack that onto the fact that Jackson State will celebrate 40 years of football at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium by hosting Grambling State, and the atmosphere grows to red-line type proportions.

Jackson State College first kicked off a football game inside Memorial Stadium on Oct. 21, 1967 - a homecoming game against Grambling State.
Roderick Paige coached Jackson State to a 20-14 victory.

Hall of Fame coach Eddie Robinson led Grambling College.
JSU will honor Robinson during Saturday's game.

Cleets
October 17th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I'm at a wedding Saturday so I'll be sneaking into the bar to watch - a few of my Buddies are completely psyched about this game...

xnodx

jstate83
October 17th, 2007, 06:55 PM
It's a NOON start time due to it being televised on ESPN Classic.
There will be a lot of people there but that start time is gonna take a big bite out of attendance.xnodx

People just don't get up that early to rush to a game around here.
Don't even have time to get "right".
People are ticked off, ME INCLUDED, about all these dang day games.xlolx

Peems
October 17th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I'll be recording this mutha! xnodx

DuckDuckGriz
October 17th, 2007, 06:58 PM
It's a NOON start time due to it being televised on ESPN Classic.
There will be a lot of people there but that start time is gonna take a big bite out of attendance.xnodx

People just don't get up that early to rush to a game around here.
Don't even have time to get "right".
People are ticked off, ME INCLUDED, about all these dang day games.xlolx

Nicely put - most of us know exactly what you're saying xlolx

jstate83
October 17th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Nicely put - most of us know exactly what you're saying xlolx

xsmiley_wix

813Jag
October 17th, 2007, 07:26 PM
JSU can be nice sometimes .......................We still gonna win the game though. xlolx

40 YEARS AT MEMORIAL

A face-off between the last two teams undefeated in conference play draws plenty of interest.
The game being broadcast nationally on ESPN Classic adds a little more flavor.

Tack that onto the fact that Jackson State will celebrate 40 years of football at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium by hosting Grambling State, and the atmosphere grows to red-line type proportions.

Jackson State College first kicked off a football game inside Memorial Stadium on Oct. 21, 1967 - a homecoming game against Grambling State.
Roderick Paige coached Jackson State to a 20-14 victory.

Hall of Fame coach Eddie Robinson led Grambling College.
JSU will honor Robinson during Saturday's game.
Y'all got us good on Saturday, we came out really banged up. I can't believe I'm gonna say this but take care of Gram so the Classic can be for the West and a trip to B-ham.

jstate83
October 17th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Y'all got us good on Saturday, we came out really banged up. I can't believe I'm gonna say this but take care of Gram so the Classic can be for the West and a trip to B-ham.

Don't worry.
We owe Gram for that beating last year. xthumbsupx

Mr. Tiger
October 17th, 2007, 08:17 PM
I believe this is the earliest start for a Jackson State home football game in 20 years. Actually, I can't remember ever starting a game before 1:30.
I'm glad it will be on television. It should be a good one.

jstate83
October 17th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I believe this is the earliest start for a Jackson State home football game in 20 years. Actually, I can't remember ever starting a game before 1:30.
I'm glad it will be on television. It should be a good one.

And that was 1 year for homecomming.
That was a disaster trying to get all them people and bands from the parade to the stadium in 1 hour after the parade ended at 11:30.

Bring back the 6pm kickoff pleeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!xnodx

jstate83
October 18th, 2007, 08:59 AM
40th year party offer's blast from SWAC past. (http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071018/SPORTS030101/710180376/0/SPORTS)

JSU football: The Big One
40th-year party offers blast from SWAC past

By Kareem Copeland
[email protected]

The JSU band was in danger of missing the Grambling-JSU game after being suspended two weeks ago, but now the Sonic Boom of the South is free to put on a show Saturday. The game will mark the 40th anniversary of JSU's first game at Memorial Stadium.

Eddie Robinson Jr. plans to be inside Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium on Saturday.

So does his mother, Doris.

And some members of the 1967 Jackson State football team, the first Tiger squad to play at the 60,000-seat stadium, are expected to be there, too, along with Rod Paige, who coached that '67 JSU team and later became the U.S. secretary of education.

Oh, and don't forget these guys: The current members of the JSU and Grambling football teams, the only teams still undefeated in Southwestern Athletic Conference play.

It's a showdown in the SWAC - and a celebration.

mikebigg
October 18th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Don't worry.
We owe Gram for that beating last year. xthumbsupx

You mean years don't you? xlolx

Seriously... Really classy of you guys to honor Coach Rob. Big ups to JSU...the school I grew up hating (not in the real sense)!

jstate83
October 18th, 2007, 10:29 AM
You mean years don't you? xlolx

Seriously... Really classy of you guys to honor Coach Rob. Big ups to JSU...the school I grew up hating (not in the real sense)!

Nope.
Just that game from last year. xlolx
Ya'll came out shifting through all gear's from the opening kickoff last year.
That ain't gonna happen with this JSU team.

Like I alway's said, can't do nothing about win's that came back in the 60's and early 70's.
Saturday's game is being played in 2007.
Your getting the '80's JSU where we would go into games knowing we gonna win. xlolx

The excitement and JSU SWAGGA is back. xthumbsupx
With all the OLE Schooler's invited to this game, THE '67 JSU TEAM, COACH PAIGE, COACH W.C. GORDEN, MRS. ROBINSON and EDDIE JR, it should be some hard hitting in this one.xthumbsupx

The GRAM game was one of W.C. Gordens favorite games to coach in going against Eddie Robinson.
That's all he would talk about that week when he was coach. xlolx

They say they expecting 30,000 for a 12pm game in Jacktown.
If that turn's out true, I would have loved to see what the attendance would have been for a 6pm kickoff. xnodx

mikebigg
October 18th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Nope.
Just that game from last year. xlolx
Ya'll came out shifting through all gear's from the opening kickoff last year.
That ain't gonna happen with this JSU team.

Like I alway's said, can't do nothing about win's that came back in the 60's and early 70's.
Saturday's game is being played in 2007.
Your getting the '80's JSU where we would go into games knowing we gonna win. xlolx

The excitement and JSU SWAGGA is back. xthumbsupx
With all the OLE Schooler's invited to this game, THE '67 JSU TEAM, COACH PAIGE, COACH W.C. GORDEN, MRS. ROBINSON and EDDIE JR, it should be some hard hitting in this one.xthumbsupx

The GRAM game was one of W.C. Gordens favorite games to coach in going against Eddie Robinson.
That's all he would talk about that week when he was coach. xlolx

They say they expecting 30,000 for a 12pm game in Jacktown.
If that turn's out true, I would have loved to see what the attendance would have been for a 6pm kickoff. xnodx

Yeah, the 80's were yall's best decade against us... (5-5). I remember before the 80's, (I graduated in 77) I told a friend that if JSU ever figured out how to beat Grambling they would rule the SWAC. Well in the 80's yall went on something like a 4 yr undefeated conference run. Prior to that yall had a lot of 1 loss seasons... GUESS WHO that 1 was (lol).

Still my favorite game (I grew up watching this one) to watch!

Mr. Tiger
October 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Yeah, the 80's were yall's best decade against us... (5-5). I remember before the 80's, (I graduated in 77) I told a friend that if JSU ever figured out how to beat Grambling they would rule the SWAC. Well in the 80's yall went on something like a 4 yr undefeated conference run. Prior to that yall had a lot of 1 loss seasons... GUESS WHO that 1 was (lol).

Still my favorite game (I grew up watching this one) to watch!

No actually the 90s. We went 7-3 against Grambling. In the 70s, Coach Rob was dominating everybody. xnodx

mikebigg
October 18th, 2007, 03:57 PM
No actually the 90s. We went 7-3 against Grambling. In the 70s, Coach Rob was dominating everybody. xnodx

Yeah yall did kinda get bucked there with Big Daddy for a minute during the 90's. Unfortunately that was near the end for Coach... we didn't want to see him go, but it was time. Still a great man.

BTW, how is Coach Gordon these days? That man was a very good football coach and builder of young men. I saw Marino "The Godfather" Casem sitting in the stands watching SU's homecoming game. He looks well. Those were some excellent speakers and storytellers on the old SWAC Tours. I used to attend them when they came to BR...it was something Special.xbowx

jstate83
October 18th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Yeah yall did kinda get bucked there with Big Daddy for a minute during the 90's. Unfortunately that was near the end for Coach... we didn't want to see him go, but it was time. Still a great man.

BTW, how is Coach Gordon these days? That man was a very good football coach and builder of young men. I saw Marino "The Godfather" Casem sitting in the stands watching SU's homecoming game. He looks well. Those were some excellent speakers and storytellers on the old SWAC Tours. I used to attend them when they came to BR...it was something Special.xbowx

JSU Honored W.C. Last week.
People paid $1000 a plate to go.
That was LONG over due.

Too bad Big Daddy Carson was not here to enjoy it with him.
Those 2 stalked the JSU sidelines for decade's together.

W.C. is doing really good, still around the JSU area giving thumb's up and talking to these youngsters.

The only sad part about that Honor, W.C. is not eligiable for the JSU Hall of Fame since he is a GRAD of Tennesse St.
That's a shame because he is as TRUE BLUE as any of us when it comes to JSU Football.xnodx

Since he was a COACH at JSU, that rule need to be changed so that his JSU accomplishment's go into the Hall along side of the great players he coached and led. xnodx

MACHIAVELLI
October 18th, 2007, 10:59 PM
All time series
ICON vs Jackson 35-19-1

2000-ICON
2001-ICON
2002-ICON
2003-ICON
2004-jsu
2005-ICON
2006-ICON

mikebigg
October 19th, 2007, 07:36 AM
JSU Honored W.C. Last week.
People paid $1000 a plate to go.
That was LONG over due.

Too bad Big Daddy Carson was not here to enjoy it with him.
Those 2 stalked the JSU sidelines for decade's together.

W.C. is doing really good, still around the JSU area giving thumb's up and talking to these youngsters.

The only sad part about that Honor, W.C. is not eligiable for the JSU Hall of Fame since he is a GRAD of Tennesse St.
That's a shame because he is as TRUE BLUE as any of us when it comes to JSU Football.xnodx

Since he was a COACH at JSU, that rule need to be changed so that his JSU accomplishment's go into the Hall along side of the great players he coached and led. xnodx

Not eligible for your Hall of Fame?!!!! Man that rule definitely needs to be changed or amended in some way. A really good coach and a man who loved JSU... he dayum sho could recruit and coach. Did he ever have a losing season?

MACHIAVELLI
October 19th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Eddie Robinson Jr. plans to be inside Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium on Saturday.

So does his mother, Doris.

And some members of the 1967 Jackson State football team, the first Tiger squad to play at the 60,000-seat stadium, are expected to be there, too, along with Rod Paige, who coached that '67 JSU team and later became the U.S. secretary of education.

Oh, and don't forget these guys: The current members of the JSU and Grambling football teams, the only teams still undefeated in Southwestern Athletic Conference play.

It's a showdown in the SWAC - and a celebration.

Jackson State (4-2, 4-0) will commemorate 40 years of playing at Veterans Stadium by honoring Grambling's late Hall of Fame coach, Eddie Robinson, when the Tigers from Jackson take on the Tigers from Grambling (5-1, 5-0) in a noon game set to be televised live on ESPN Classic.

"There's no doubt this will probably be the biggest game of my career, especially here at Jackson State," said second-year JSU coach Rick Comegy. "It's a different level."

"This is a championship-caliber game," added JSU offensive coordinator James Woody. "It's one of the biggest games that I've been involved in in 22 years. This is for all the marbles. This sets the tone."

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007

MACHIAVELLI
October 19th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Grambling State vs. Jackson State
The two division leaders in the SWAC will meet Saturday at high noon in a possible preview of the conference championship game in December.

SWAC West Division leader Grambling State (5-1, 5-0 SWAC) travels to Veteran's Memorial Stadium to meet East Division leader Jackson State (4-2, 4-0).

GSU leads the series 35-19-1 and has won the last two meetings.

Both teams are riding four-game winning streaks and are led by quarterbacks having outstanding seasons.

Grambling's Brandon Landers has thrown for 1,271 yards and 11 touchdowns this season while JSU's Jimmy Oliver has connected on 56 percent of his passes for 936 yards and seven TDs.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/101807aar.html

jstate83
October 19th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Not eligible for your Hall of Fame?!!!! Man that rule definitely needs to be changed or amended in some way. A really good coach and a man who loved JSU... he dayum sho could recruit and coach. Did he ever have a losing season?

Nope.
He went 5-5-1 back in the early 80's one year.

Jag4Life
October 20th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Geaux JSU! lol I know!

MACHIAVELLI
October 20th, 2007, 08:35 PM
ICON 30-jsu-20

ICON series record vs Jackson 36-19-1

Clyde Edwards vs. Jackson State
For one reason or another, Jackson State has brought out the best
in wide receiver Clyde Edwards as that’s the school where he has had the
most success against. Against JSU, Edwards has caught 21 receptions for 405 yards and five touchdowns. The 405 receiving yards total is nearly 200 yards more than the next team on the list (UAPB). Edwards’ best game against JSU occurred in 2004 as a true freshman with seven receptions for 160 yards and two touchdowns. In 2005, he caught six passes for 128 yards and a touchdown followed by last year’s eight-catch, 117-yard performance with two touchdowns.

Clyde Edwards vs Jackson 2007: 3 catches, 113, 1 TD

Clyde vs Jackson career: 24 catches, 518 yards 6TD's vs Jackson

MACHIAVELLI
October 20th, 2007, 10:31 PM
ICON 30-jsu-20

ICON series record vs Jackson 36-19-1

Clyde Edwards vs. Jackson State
For one reason or another, Jackson State has brought out the best
in wide receiver Clyde Edwards as that’s the school where he has had the
most success against. Against JSU, Edwards has caught 21 receptions for 405 yards and five touchdowns. The 405 receiving yards total is nearly 200 yards more than the next team on the list (UAPB). Edwards’ best game against JSU occurred in 2004 as a true freshman with seven receptions for 160 yards and two touchdowns. In 2005, he caught six passes for 128 yards and a touchdown followed by last year’s eight-catch, 117-yard performance with two touchdowns.