PDA

View Full Version : Big Games in Week 2

Hansel
September 5th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Northeastern @ YSU
NU coming off a tough loss to GSU, and YSU may be on the way back according to their fans

Lehigh @ Delaware
two playoff participants from last year and regional "rivals"

McNeese @ GSU
will give a barometer of McNeese's season coming off a tough 04

UMass @ Colgate
hmmm I think I remember a playoff game between these two a few years back, UMass coming off ho-hum effort while Colgate lost a shocker to CCSU

Villanova @ Rutgers
Rutgers looking to get their annual IAA beatdown

NDSU @ NW St
Two ranked teams, NW St picked up the first IA win of the year last week, this one scares me

JMU @ CCU
CCU gets a chance to earn some respect

The Citadel @ Florida State
.... ooops

Portland St @ UC-Davis
a pair of "fringe" top 25 teams, UCD gets a chance to pick up perhaps their first quality non-con IAA win

EKU@WKU
"Battle of the Bluegrass"

charliej
September 5th, 2005, 05:43 PM
.... ooops

Love it! :D :D :D

blukeys
September 5th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I think the EKU - WKU matchup will tell us the most. Has the OVC made strides in being more competitive or was JSU's effort against Furman indicative of only JSU?

NW State - NDSU This is an excellent test and gauge of the strength of GWFC and Southland. Everyone needs to pay attention to this one.

Portland State and UC Davis- A first tier Big Sky team and Davis. Davis had a chance to beat a subpar UNH team and can make it up here. I don't think that Davis's performance against UNH was any indication of their capability.

Lehigh - Delaware Hens first game in a rebuilding season and they are VERY young. Lehigh has more returnees and a game under their belt. This will be a good game but both teams will be better in November so I don't know how much can be gleaned from this. GSU, UNH, Lehigh, and others looked shaky in their first games.

Villanova @ Rutgers - Rutgers is better than in the past and wins. No big deal. Rutgers just slows the bleeding from the artery that was slit 20 years ago.

McNeese @ GSU
GSU wins. McNeese will be there in '06

JMU @ CCU
CCU gets a chance to earn some respect but doesn't win.

UMass @ Colgate

Umass is on a roll and Colgate isn't.

No Comment

youwouldno
September 5th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Furman should beat WCU but after some mistakes on special teams and defense against JSU, it will be important in gauging the Paladins' progress.

The Kentucky battle should be good, in judging both EKU and WKU... there are some major differences of opinion on that team. For their part, EKU played a decent game against App but didn't get the job done... if they could top WKU it would give the OVC 2 legit teams at the top.

After beating Monroe, NW State can beat a quality I-AA team and keep the momentum going.

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Where's SAM HOUSTON STATE @ Houston?

Is the I-AA world just going blind here? Sam still has a pretty solid offense in place and the defense is better than it was last year...

Houston was nothing spectacular last year and this could be an I-AA upset over an I-A school. Even when Andre Ware was a QB at UH, the Bearkats still outgained them!

blackfordpu
September 5th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Where's SAM HOUSTON STATE @ Houston?

Is the I-AA world just going blind here? Sam still has a pretty solid offense in place and the defense is better than it was last year...

Houston was nothing spectacular last year and this could be an I-AA upset over an I-A school. Even when Andre Ware was a QB at UH, the Bearkats still outgained them!

I am with you Terror, everyone seems to be overlooking this game. Why is that? I do not know the answer. This is going to be a great game and is a good chance that it will be another I-AA upset over a I-A team.

By the way, will the EKU@WKU be broadcast over the web anywhere?

Coastal89
September 5th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Bulldogs, don't take any players that you can't afford to have hurt.

Big Dawg
September 5th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Bulldogs, don't take any players that you can't afford to have hurt.

Well da*n.

umassfan
September 6th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Northeastern @ YSU
NU coming off a tough loss to GSU, and YSU may be on the way back according to their fans

Lehigh @ Delaware
two playoff participants from last year and regional "rivals"

McNeese @ GSU
will give a barometer of McNeese's season coming off a tough 04

UMass @ Colgate
hmmm I think I remember a playoff game between these two a few years back, UMass coming off ho-hum effort while Colgate lost a shocker to CCSU

Villanova @ Rutgers

NDSU @ NW St
Two ranked teams, NW St picked up the first IA win of the year last week, this one scares me

JMU @ CCU
CCU gets a chance to earn some respect

.... ooops

Portland St @ UC-Davis
a pair of "fringe" top 25 teams, UCD gets a chance to pick up perhaps their first quality non-con IAA win

EKU@WKU
"Battle of the Bluegrass"

Please tell us what was Ho hum about our game vs Richmond. We shut them down on defense and did more then enough on offense for the victory even without 6 starters starting.

dungeonjoe
September 6th, 2005, 04:52 AM
.... ooops

one more for your oops category:

Wofford @ West Virginia

charliej
September 6th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Please tell us what was Ho hum about our game vs Richmond. We shut them down on defense and did more then enough on offense for the victory even without 6 starters starting.

I listened to this game.Ho hum pretty much describes it.You did enough to win but if your D shut them down then something must be said of RU's D because they wound up with about the same stats as UMass.

It was a good win,but an effort like that against most of the A10 would have a much different result.

89Hen
September 6th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Charlie, don't waste your breath. ANYthing that can be construed as negative toward UMass will be jumped all over by umassfan. If you said anything other than they were brilliant and every position player should be All-A10, he will complain. :cool:

Killtoppers90
September 6th, 2005, 10:46 AM
This starts the week of worrying and chest-thumping in the Bluegrass state - the battle for 1-AA supremacy in KY (EKU visits WKU). As someone noted earlier, this game will speak volumes about the OVC and Gateway. As much as I tout WKU domination, this game always casts a shadow of doubt on our season. Yet, it is the one game the WKU fans get geeked up for. (Yeah, I know that we don't get the fan support we should for any other game.) EKU ALWAYS plays WKU tough, and it is one of the best games in 1-AA. And I will be expecting a close, hard-fought, blood and guts battle again this year. Good luck EKU but GO TOPPERS!!!!

BTW, check out www.wkusports.com for internet broadcast options.

putter
September 6th, 2005, 11:41 AM
What about Idaho State @ Kentucky? Could be in the whoops catagory or they could have blown their wad against Louisville?! :p

kats89
September 6th, 2005, 12:18 PM
What about Idaho State @ Kentucky? Could be in the whoops catagory or they could have blown their wad against Louisville?! :p

FROM THE SOUTHLAND....

ND St @ NW St ....will be a good one. Bison are no pushover.

SFA @ Montana St.. Montana St will roll. SFA won't be a good road team

S. Utah @ Tx State.. Bobcats better not look ahead to Tx A&M. Thunderbirds can score.

SAM HOUSTON @U. H. ... I think this will be another I-AA win over a I-A. :nod: :eek:

McNeese @ Ga. Southern.. This should be a great game.

Killtoppers90
September 6th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Ummmm.......NO! Expect another UK loss here. UK usually blows the game that follows the UL game if I remember correctly.

EKUColonel
September 6th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Eastern vs. Western will be a very tough game this year. Last year the game was very tight the first half despite our freshman QB Josh Greco throwing 7 INTs. This year he has more experience and hopefully he won't have a repeat preformance of last year. Our offense moved the ball well against ASU week 1, racking up 455 yards of offense, but turnovers killed us.

However there were some bright spots in the loss, especially new starting running back, Sophomore Mark Dunn, who racked up a career high 164 on 30 carries, including 1 TD. Also WR Andre Ralston had a huge game, 9 catches for 152 yards.

The game this year should be terrific, I know I've already bought my ticket to go down to Bowling Green and watch the game.

EagleCrusade
September 6th, 2005, 08:33 PM
I want to go on record to say I believe the Citadel-FSU game could turn some heads..

FSU continues to play TERRIBLE offense.
Only the defense will win their games.
Oh but I dont think The Citadel will win, but I doubt they will lose by 30+
24-3/6. That is of course with the FSU defense scoring 7 pts.

AS far as Wofford @ WVU....
49-10.
WVU has things figured out. Wofford struggled against an NAIA opponent who put up 24 pts on the yip dogs. This game gets ugly quick.

I have to go for both these teams of course. Make us proud.

charliej
September 6th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Villanova @ Rutgers

I watched the Rutgers-Illinois game this Sat. It was a tale of two halves.In the first they looked unstoppable(other than some poor coaching decisions & missed FG ops)They really are very good.Their D was OK,but not great.

I was quite concerned,but after watching their second half meltdown I felt a little better.Seems some things never change at Rutgers.

Truth is if any other coach led that team,I'd say Nova gets spanked big time.As it is I think we can keep it respectable,especially If we can get a few points on the board early.

I'm gonna have to say I think we lose this one by 10 or so. :(

FU97
September 7th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Furman @ Western Carolina is a big game for the SoCon. First conference game. WCU trying to show they belong as the #4 team in the conference.

OL FU
September 7th, 2005, 07:37 AM
I want to go on record to say I believe the Citadel-FSU game could turn some heads..
FSU continues to play TERRIBLE offense.
Only the defense will win their games.
Oh but I dont think The Citadel will win, but I doubt they will lose by 30+
24-3/6. That is of course with the FSU defense scoring 7 pts.

AS far as Wofford @ WVU....
49-10.
WVU has things figured out. Wofford struggled against an NAIA opponent who put up 24 pts on the yip dogs. This game gets ugly quick.

I have to go for both these teams of course. Make us proud.

I hope you are right but I see this as nothing but ugly.

saint0917
September 7th, 2005, 09:20 AM
UMass @ Colgate
hmmm I think I remember a playoff game between these two a few years back,

No snow this year. :D

TheValleyRaider
September 7th, 2005, 01:12 PM
No snow this year. :D

Shows how little you know about Hamilton ;) :D

sibiur
September 7th, 2005, 01:22 PM
...is Grambling vs. Alabama A&M. AAM is coming off a good win over Tennessee State, while GSU had an extra week to prepare after its opener against Alcorn was postponed due to Katrina.

A completely objective person would say that GSU is a great team facing a good team. As a fan of GSU, I'd say the same. Bruce Eugene begins his march towards the Payton this Saturday.

ekufbfan
September 7th, 2005, 03:27 PM
However there were some bright spots in the loss, especially new starting running back, Sophomore Mark Dunn, who racked up a career high 164 on 30 carries, including 1 TD.

Suggested on EKUPride and it fits well "Get-R-Dunn"!!!

GO EASTERN! BEAT western!! GET-R-DUNN!!!!!

Grande Rosso
September 7th, 2005, 04:29 PM
By the way, will the EKU@WKU be broadcast over the web anywhere?
Check at www.wkusports.tv (http://www.wkusports.tv)

I think an individual game webcast is $6.95, or $19.95 for the season pass.

hawkineer
September 7th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Are you sure you're kidding! I thought it always was cold, snowy and windy in Hamilton, NY or it just seems that way.

TheValleyRaider
September 7th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Are you sure you're kidding! I thought it always was cold, snowy and windy in Hamilton, NY or it just seems that way.

Well, it definately is always windy, at least down in the valley where Andy Kerr is. As for cold and snowy, well, it's been known to happen at any time. Apparently there was a year once where it snowed every month of the year, including June/July/August :eek:

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Well, it definately is always windy, at least down in the valley where Andy Kerr is. As for cold and snowy, well, it's been known to happen at any time. Apparently there was a year once where it snowed every month of the year, including June/July/August :eek:

Can't wait til later in the year when i can do my bi-annual "Why did anyone start a college here?" comment as we're driving up that two lane road. It's a unique place that has some nostalgia to it. Just wish Lehigh had more sucess there :(