PDA

View Full Version : Players added and dropped from Payton Award List

Killsback
October 16th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Southern Illinois University quarterback Nick Hill was among a list of eight players added to the Walter Payton Award watch list, announced Tuesday by the Sports Network.

Also added were Richmond running back Tim Hightower, Georgia Southern quarterback Jayson Foster, Cal Poly wide receiver Ramses Barden, Hofstra running back Kareem Huggins, Citadel quarterback Duran Lawson, North Dakota State running back Tyler Roehl and Colgate running back Jordan Scott.

Those players join eight other candidates on the revised list. The other Payton candidates include quarterback Liam Coen of Massachusetts, running back Omar Cuff of Delaware, running back Herb Donaldson of Western Illinois, quarterback Josh Johnson of San Diego, running back Mike McLeod of Yale, running back Kevin Richardson of Appalachian State, quarterback Eric Sanders of Northern Iowa and quarterback Ricky Santos of New Hampshire.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4108002.htm

Torero Tradition
October 16th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Congratulations to all the players on the list. Lot's of great athletes and students. Crazy having a player from Univ. San Diego on it~ Who woulda thought...

blur2005
October 16th, 2007, 10:01 PM
You know, I don't usually trumpet JMU guys like a homer but I do feel Rodney Landers should get some love, some mention in the Payton Award race. I mean, he's averaging 100 rush yds/gm or so and is completing like 72% of his passes. And it's not about the stats as much as it is about being a playmaker, kind of like Rascati was except a whole lot faster on the ground.

Syntax Error
October 16th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Wonder where the Griz buzz is now that Lex dropped off?

FCS Go!
October 16th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Wonder where the Griz buzz is now that Lex dropped off?

Lex is hurt. All I hear is crickets now anyway.

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Congratulations to all the players on the list. Lot's of great athletes and students. Crazy having a player from Univ. San Diego on it~ Who woulda thought...

Don't forget Bakhtiari on the Buchanan Cadidate list for the best defensive player in the nation.xthumbsupx

Peems
October 17th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Lex should not be on their currently. He has been hurtin' and not puttin' up the great numbers, no problem with me though. Just hope the Griz can keep on keepin on

bluehenbillk
October 17th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Still no Joe Flacco? Must be a unwritten rule about not having 2 guys from the same team...

citdog
October 17th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Cadet Duran Lawson is deserving of this honor.xthumbsupx

Go...gate
October 17th, 2007, 09:19 AM
As is Jordan Scott of Colgate.

USDFAN_55
October 17th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I think they are all deserving. All these guys are having great years so far.

HensRock
October 17th, 2007, 09:49 AM
You know, I don't usually trumpet JMU guys like a homer but I do feel Rodney Landers should get some love, some mention in the Payton Award race. I mean, he's averaging 100 rush yds/gm or so and is completing like 72% of his passes. And it's not about the stats as much as it is about being a playmaker, kind of like Rascati was except a whole lot faster on the ground.

Agreed that Landers should be on the list as well as UD's Flacco and maybe even W&M's Jake Phillips from the CAA. Glad to see Hightower make the list. He is certainly deserving.

89Hen
October 17th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Still no Joe Flacco? Must be a unwritten rule about not having 2 guys from the same team...
I think Santos and Ball were both on in 2005 and 2006. xpeacex

89Hen
October 17th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I do feel Rodney Landers should get some love, some mention in the Payton Award race.
I agree. xnodx

WUTNDITWAA
October 17th, 2007, 10:12 AM

It's probably for the best, so it doesn't split the vote.

Maroon&White
October 17th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Was the UNH game a typical one for Flacco? If so, I can see why he's not on the list. He's not that impressive of a QB.

LehighFan11
October 17th, 2007, 10:18 AM
McLeod already won the award...its over

89Hen
October 17th, 2007, 10:23 AM
It's probably for the best, so it doesn't split the vote.
Again, didn't hurt Santos last year to have Ball as a finalist. xpeacex

Seven Would Be Nice
October 17th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Fosters incredible stats have declined in the past few weeks. He is still performing well, but not having the 200+rushing and 100+ throwing each week.

nmatsen
October 17th, 2007, 10:27 AM
How does Hill get on, not saying he doesn't deserve to be on it, but how does he get on after throwing his first two interceptions of the year?

89Hen
October 17th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Was the UNH game a typical one for Flacco? If so, I can see why he's not on the list. He's not that impressive of a QB.
No, the 40 of 51 for 419 yards and 2 TD's was one of his lesser outings. xcoffeex xrolleyesx

Maroon&White
October 17th, 2007, 10:33 AM
No, the 40 of 51 for 419 yards and 2 TD's was one of his lesser outings. xcoffeex xrolleyesx

Were you there? For all the hype UD fans are giving him, he was less then impressive.

GannonFan
October 17th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Were you there? For all the hype UD fans are giving him, he was less then impressive.

Come on, that's just typical UMass sour grapes when the topic is in anyway related to Delaware - are you sure you're not related to umassfan??? Liam Coen's stats against both Towson and nova were pretty modest and he didn't play great in either game, so are you suggesting that one "unimpressive" game is enough to keep someone off the list?? :p

HensRock
October 17th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Flacco was definitely off in the UNH game particularly in the first half.

Maroon&White
October 17th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Come on, that's just typical UMass sour grapes when the topic is in anyway related to Delaware - are you sure you're not related to umassfan??? Liam Coen's stats against both Towson and nova were pretty modest and he didn't play great in either game, so are you suggesting that one "unimpressive" game is enough to keep someone off the list?? :p

What are you talking about? Sour grapes about what? I don't think Coen should be on the list with the season he is having, why would you assume I think that? I just stated that for all the hype UD fans having been throwing at Flacco, he wasn't that impressive to me. He missed some very open receivers, at least one I can think of that cost them a TD. For all UD fans have been saying, I thought he would be better.

I also never said the UNH game was enough to keep Flacco off, I simply asked if that was typical. No need to get your panties in a bunch. Typical UD fan.

GannonFan
October 17th, 2007, 10:46 AM
What are you talking about? Sour grapes about what? I don't think Coen should be on the list with the season he is having, why would you assume I think that? I just stated that for all the hype UD fans having been throwing at Flacco, he wasn't that impressive to me. He missed some very open receivers, at least one I can think of that cost them a TD. For all UD fans have been saying, I thought he would be better.

I also never said the UNH game was enough to keep Flacco off, I simply asked if that was typical. No need to get your panties in a bunch. Typical UD fan.

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

http://static.flickr.com/78/155733289_44299089e6.jpg

Maroon&White
October 17th, 2007, 10:47 AM
xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

http://static.flickr.com/78/155733289_44299089e6.jpg

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Do you even know what sour grapes mean? It doesn't appear you do. xlolx

89Hen
October 17th, 2007, 10:47 AM
I didn't realize I had to be in Durham to comment. I figured TV was enough. xcoffeex

89Hen
October 17th, 2007, 10:48 AM
I just stated that for all the hype UD fans having been throwing at Flacco...
Find me some. I'll be waiting here xcoffeex

Maroon&White
October 17th, 2007, 10:48 AM
I didn't realize I had to be in Durham to comment. I figured TV was enough. xcoffeex

Man, I sure hit a sensitive subject with UD fans. Guess that answers my question. Flacco isn't as good as ya'll think. xrolleyesx

89Hen
October 17th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Man, I sure hit a sensitive subject with UD fans. Guess that answers my question. Flacco isn't as good as ya'll think. xrolleyesx
No, we just love putting some of the umAss fans in their rightful place. Read my post again BTW... I said it was one of his lesser outings... yet it was still good enough to pile up massive stats and give the Hens a chance to win at the end. xcoffeex

Typical umAss fan.

89Hen
October 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I can see why he's not on the list. He's not that impressive of a QB.

I also never said the UNH game was enough to keep Flacco off

xnonox

Maroon&White
October 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Flacco was definitely off in the UNH game particularly in the first half.

Don't know if you are serious or not, because your fellow UD fans all are asses instead of giving real responses. The 4th quarter he obviously started to light up the UNH D, but before that he really didn't look that good. 15-19 for 232yds, 2 TDs in 4th quarter. 25-32 for 187yds and 0 TD in the 3 quarters before that.

Maroon&White
October 17th, 2007, 11:00 AM
xnonox

You really aren't that bright xlolx How does that first quote from me, relate in any way to me saying the UNH game was enough to keep him off the list? It doesn't. Good job putting me in my place xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 17th, 2007, 11:07 AM
You really aren't that bright
Coming from you that's a compliment.

I can see why he's not on the list. He's not that impressive of a QB.

89Hen
October 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I just stated that for all the hype UD fans having been throwing at Flacco...

BTW, I'll continue to wait for this.

Maroon&White
October 17th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Ask and you shall receive...

Flacco doesn't need legs... three steps, bullet, completion.

Did you know that he is on pace to set the all-time career completions mark at UD in just two years? The best part is that he'll only be fourth in all-time attempts.

I have to agree.. I've seen them all and Joe Flacco may be the best pure passer ever to play at UD. I expect very big things from Mr Flacco in '07.

I find it hard to beleive that Johnson would have a better arm than Flacco. If they let him open it up deep this year, you'll see what I mean.

I agree 100%. Flacco's wrist snap alone is worth another 20 mph on the speed of the ball he delivers. Mr. C has not seen Flacco. Those who have seen Flacco and Santos on the same field would never say that Santos has the superior arm strength. (Santos is great in my book)

Flacco is big and strong along the lines of Peyton Manning. He throws a hard tight spiraling ball that he can get into impossible places. Unlike Santos he is not elusive. He can run straight ahead and get yards but he is not a scrambler.

I hope UD plays to his strnegths because he can be unstoppable and a much better QB than Coen.

Boy, that was hard.

Maroon&White
October 17th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Coming from you that's a compliment.

Again, I never said the UNH game was enough to not consider him for the Payton award. I asked if that was a typical game.

After my quick search where I found countless times of hyping Flacco, I see you have some previous quarrel with umassfan about Flacco. Didn't even realize that. I see now why you got all worked up about it.

89Hen
October 17th, 2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Flacco doesn't need legs... three steps, bullet, completion.

Did you know that he is on pace to set the all-time career completions mark at UD in just two years? The best part is that he'll only be fourth in all-time attempts.

Quote:
I have to agree.. I've seen them all and Joe Flacco may be the best pure passer ever to play at UD. I expect very big things from Mr Flacco in '07.

Quote:
I find it hard to beleive that Johnson would have a better arm than Flacco. If they let him open it up deep this year, you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
I agree 100%. Flacco's wrist snap alone is worth another 20 mph on the speed of the ball he delivers. Mr. C has not seen Flacco. Those who have seen Flacco and Santos on the same field would never say that Santos has the superior arm strength. (Santos is great in my book)

Flacco is big and strong along the lines of Peyton Manning. He throws a hard tight spiraling ball that he can get into impossible places. Unlike Santos he is not elusive. He can run straight ahead and get yards but he is not a scrambler.

I hope UD plays to his strnegths because he can be unstoppable and a much better QB than Coen.

Boy, that was hard.
Nice try and way to tell half the story. Most of those are in response to Mr.C's quote of "Josh Johnson is superior to Coen, Schaefer and Flacco in every way, shape and form. He has Armanti Edwards-type speed in a 6-3 package (I've heard both are in the 4.5 range for 40-yard dash times) and a far stronger arm than any of the QBs in the CAA."

xlolx

USDFAN_55
October 17th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Nice try and way to tell half the story. Most of those are in response to Mr.C's quote of "Josh Johnson is superior to Coen, Schaefer and Flacco in every way, shape and form. He has Armanti Edwards-type speed in a 6-3 package (I've heard both are in the 4.5 range for 40-yard dash times) and a far stronger arm than any of the QBs in the CAA."

xlolx

Maroon&White: Manipulation of information/quotesxnonox Sounds like we have a Michael Moore on our hands.xeekx

Syntax Error
October 17th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Congrats to all the student-athletes on the current list! There is still one more revision to come.

citdog
October 17th, 2007, 01:33 PM
There is still one more revision to come.

you can say THAT AGAIN!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx xreadx xwhistlex

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 17th, 2007, 01:41 PM

Nope, Ball and Santos were both on for 3 straight years, I think, ...

ngineer
October 17th, 2007, 07:44 PM
When does the Buchannan get revised? IMO Tim Diamond , LB at Lehigh, is having a hell of year. Seems like you hear his name and number on every other play when on defense.

BDKJMU
October 18th, 2007, 12:21 AM
JMU's & Lander's stats from the URI game last Sat were jacked up. At 1st JMU's website showed:
-598 yards total offense
-168 passing Landers on 8 of 12 for 3 TDs
-160 rushing Landers on 26 carries

Now if you click on the stats they show:
-569 yards of total offense
-242 passing Landers on 11 of 14
-166 rushing Landers on 28 carries
http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=71029&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=1280361

Now the CAA website shows:
-576 yards total offense
-242 passing Landers on 11 of 15
-173 rushing on 27 carries
http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1280668

Over on the CAAzone JMU board someone said that they were revised by URI with JMU's approval. Sounds like somebody f'ed up major with the stats.
xconfusedx xconfusedx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Landers is #5 in I-AA QB rating (178.39), ahead of others on the Payton list:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/statistics?group=81

Sportsnetwork stats show him 6th (173.8) because they haven't corrected the URI stats (ESPN has him for 1226 passing yards, Sportnetwork for 1152). Regardless, its a joke that as a 2 time CAA player of the week with his #s (he's on pace for close to 1100 yards rushing and over 1900 passing) he's not getting any Payton consideration.

JmuSkinsfan
October 18th, 2007, 12:48 AM
JMU's & Lander's stats from the URI game last Sat were jacked up. At 1st JMU's website showed:
-598 yards total offense
-168 passing Landers on 8 of 12 for 3 TDs
-160 rushing Landers on 26 carries

Now if you click on the stats they show:
-569 yards of total offense
-242 passing Landers on 11 of 14
-166 rushing Landers on 28 carries
http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=71029&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=1280361

Now the CAA website shows:
-576 yards total offense
-242 passing Landers on 11 of 15
-173 rushing on 27 carries
http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1280668

Over on the CAAzone JMU board someone said that they were revised by URI with JMU's approval. Sounds like somebody f'ed up major with the stats.
xconfusedx xconfusedx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Landers is #5 in I-AA QB rating (178.39), ahead of others on the Payton list:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/statistics?group=81

Sportsnetwork stats show him 6th (173.8) because they haven't corrected the URI stats (ESPN has him for 1226 passing yards, Sportnetwork for 1152). Regardless, its a joke that as a 2 time CAA player of the week with his #s (he's on pace for close to 1100 yards rushing and over 1900 passing) he's not getting any Payton consideration.

Couldn't agree more. But you know, as someone (maybe you) said over on the CAAzone, this just goes with our motto for the season. Everyone can rank us #8 and short-change our best offensive player, but at the end of the year, people will be wondering where we came from, again.

Now I'm not saying that we are being UNDERrated at #8, but I just think the fact that we have no #1 votes is a little questionable...anyways...done with my homer rant

GannonFan
October 18th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Couldn't agree more. But you know, as someone (maybe you) said over on the CAAzone, this just goes with our motto for the season. Everyone can rank us #8 and short-change our best offensive player, but at the end of the year, people will be wondering where we came from, again.

Now I'm not saying that we are being UNDERrated at #8, but I just think the fact that we have no #1 votes is a little questionable...anyways...done with my homer rant

Frankly, any team getting 1st place votes who isn't undefeated and hasn't beaten an FBS team yet is much more questionable than why JMU isn't getting a 1st place vote.

NZNCRZY
October 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Lex should not be on their currently. He has been hurtin' and not puttin' up the great numbers, no problem with me though. Just hope the Griz can keep on keepin on

I agree but it is hard to put up big numbers when you get very little help.

HensRock
October 18th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Don't know if you are serious or not, because your fellow UD fans all are asses instead of giving real responses. The 4th quarter he obviously started to light up the UNH D, but before that he really didn't look that good. 15-19 for 232yds, 2 TDs in 4th quarter. 25-32 for 187yds and 0 TD in the 3 quarters before that.

M&W,
My response was serious. I did not get to see the game because I was out of town, but accounts I have heard, Flacco was uncharacteristically out of sync in the first half. The 3rd quarter was an adjustment period for the whole offense. The 4th quarter they got back on track. Too little, too late however.

BlueHenBoy
October 22nd, 2007, 09:34 PM
Omar Cuff wins in a landslide once he lights up the United States Naval Academy. He will have them lookin' like G. Bush is there coach.

appfan2008
October 22nd, 2007, 10:25 PM
kevin richardson is having an off year so far... but still good to see the support for a great kid

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 22nd, 2007, 10:51 PM
I was expecting Landers to hit the Payton list.......but I feel like his time will come. Let's face it, he only has a few games under his belt...he's not going to get the press that Santos gets.

Let's keep winning..

Go Dukes