PDA

View Full Version : McNeese's All American Whitehead out for year

McTailGator
October 16th, 2007, 04:45 PM
As we expected...

10/16/07
Steven Whitehead will miss the remainder of the season because of leg injury
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/mcne/story_headline_photos/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1323852_mini.jpeg
McNeese State head coach Matt Viator announced Tuesday at his press conference that wide receiver/kick returner Steven Whitehead will miss the remainder of the season. The Southland Conference Player of the Year in 2006, Whitehead has missed the last four games because of a leg injury.

(more)http://mcneesesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101607aaa.html

DuckDuckGriz
October 16th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Sorry to hear. Big loss - but sounds like the Cowboys have been fine without him.

What year is he?

McTailGator
October 16th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Sorry to hear. Big loss - but sounds like the Cowboys have been fine without him.

What year is he?

Yes, we have 4 wide outs that could start anywhere, so we just had to plug in another one and we have not missed a beat.

He's a 4th year senior, that never redshirted so he will get another year having only completed one full game this season. He's been out since early in week 2 (for us).

DuckDuckGriz
October 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Lucky that he went out earlier. You guys sound like you'll be loaded for a while. I wasn't in Missoula for the McNeese-Griz game last year but I heard alot of people were real impressed with the speed of the receivers.

McTailGator
October 16th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Lucky that he went out earlier. You guys sound like you'll be loaded for a while. I wasn't in Missoula for the McNeese-Griz game last year but I heard alot of people were real impressed with the speed of the receivers.

I think our key this year is our then Freshman QB has grown up "BIG TIME" and now has a true QB coach coaching him everyday. He's a VERY talented Soph, and will be something to behold late in the season this year and next year.

Plus our defense is playing like the old McNeese defenses. Or at least much closer to it.

JohnStOnge
October 16th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Where Whitehead's loss hurts McNeese is in the return game. The Cowboys are very deep at receiver; they don't lose that much with Whitehead being out. But nobody's been able to replace what he did in the return game. Not yet anyway.

Dallas Demon
October 16th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Yes, we have 4 wide outs that could start anywhere, so we just had to plug in another one and we have not missed a beat.

He's a 4th year senior, that never redshirted so he will get another year having only completed one full game this season. He's been out since early in week 2 (for us).

Didn't they change the redshirt rules to where if you played at any point during the season that you couldn't get the extra year when you got hurt?

McTailGator
October 16th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Didn't they change the redshirt rules to where if you played at any point during the season that you couldn't get the extra year when you got hurt?

I think it's if a player COMPLETES < 20% of the games in a season than he can qualify.

He comnpleted less than 10%, and he never had a RS year.

McNeese_beat
October 16th, 2007, 09:02 PM

I think that was for a sixth year. This is for a fifth year.

The rule is if you play in less than 30 percent of your teams games, those games happened in the first half of the season and you can show documentation that the player could not play in the remaining games, than the player qualifies for a medical hardship.

Dallas Demon
October 16th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I think that was for a sixth year. This is for a fifth year.

The rule is if you play in less than 30 percent of your teams games, those games happened in the first half of the season and you can show documentation that the player could not play in the remaining games, than the player qualifies for a medical hardship.

I remember reading or hearing about our 3rd string QB that got hurt in the Nicholls game that may be out for the year and he only played one or two series. They were concerned that he would lose the whole year and couldn't be redshirted. He is a true freshman. This came from Stoker on the N-Side Demon Sports reply show I think.

McNeese_beat
October 17th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I remember reading or hearing about our 3rd string QB that got hurt in the Nicholls game that may be out for the year and he only played one or two series. They were concerned that he would lose the whole year and couldn't be redshirted. He is a true freshman. This came from Stoker on the N-Side Demon Sports reply show I think.

The way the rule was explained to me is that the player can't play in more than 30 percent of the games, those games have to be in the first half of the season and the player has to be injured to the point that he CAN'T return that season.

Nicholls was game 5...so that would be the first half of the season. I don't know all the nuances of the rule though.