PDA

View Full Version : Reliant Stadium - Grambling/Southern

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2005, 01:16 PM
What are our friends in the SWAC hearing about this? I think it's reasonable considering it's a major indoor stadium and there's a nice HBCU audience already in Houston that goes to the game as is. Southern and Grambling have good alumni bases in Houston and it'll provide a nice backdrop for national TV.

HOUSTON -- The Reliant Center is holding a date open should game officials decide to move the Bayou Classic between Grambling and Southern to Houston this year.

The game is normally played at the Louisiana Superdome, which is unusable after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans last week.

"We've had discussions with officials from the game, the Bayou Classic. My take is they are reviewing their options. We are holding a date for them," Shea Guinn, Reliant Park president and general manager, told Houston television station KRIV.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2152201

McNeese75
September 5th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Go to the SWAC board. Most of the posters there I think would prefer to keep the game in Louisiana either at LSU or Shreveport.

Hansel
September 5th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Although admittedly an outsider, I would think that having the game in LA in a couple of months may be a bit of a moral boost to those affected

Also I heard the Saints want to play in BR but they are worried about tearing up the grass. Anybody know how long it would take them to install fieldturf for one season (I know the cost is ~million, but that is chumpchange for LSU or the NFL)

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 5th, 2005, 02:54 PM
This game has to stay in Louisiana. The state needs the revenue. This is a Louisiana game, not a Texas game. The politicians will never let this money leave the state.

Retro
September 5th, 2005, 07:52 PM
The politicians will never let this money leave the state.

Just like the politicians would never let 10,000 of their own people die?

Marcus Garvey
September 5th, 2005, 08:44 PM

I'll be the cynic here....

We're talking money, which unfortunately seems to always come first in our society. This is especially true when disussing politicians.

JMU Duke Dog
September 5th, 2005, 09:16 PM
While watching the Miami-Florida State game on ABC, the news person in New Orleans said that the Superdome will be coming down.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 5th, 2005, 11:24 PM
TRUE . Damn shame wasn't it :mad:

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2005, 07:04 AM
This game has to stay in Louisiana. The state needs the revenue. This is a Louisiana game, not a Texas game. The politicians will never let this money leave the state.

And if that is the case, why are the Saints taking off then? :confused:

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 6th, 2005, 07:20 AM
And if that is the case, why are the Saints taking off then? :confused:
The NFL made that decision for them. They wanted to play their first game in Baton Rouge. They are trying to move the Saints games to LSU in October. There has been discussions of installing Field turf for this season.

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2005, 08:52 AM
If they don't get the field issues taken care of, no reason to play at LSU. They won't draw there. Who has disposable income to use for LSU and NO Saints games? Not many people. Baton Rouge any better than NO in terms of folks who have the money to attend games?

They better drive Saints tix prices down or there'll be HS football games in Texas that draw better than the Saints. San Antonio is the worst option. Houston is a better option. Baton Rouge, only if they get the field.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 6th, 2005, 10:05 AM
If they don't get the field issues taken care of, no reason to play at LSU. They won't draw there. Who has disposable income to use for LSU and NO Saints games? Not many people. Baton Rouge any better than NO in terms of folks who have the money to attend games?

They better drive Saints tix prices down or there'll be HS football games in Texas that draw better than the Saints. San Antonio is the worst option. Houston is a better option. Baton Rouge, only if they get the field.
Baton Rouge is not like New Orleans. Baton Rouge is booming. Baton Rouge is far from the proverty sticken area New Orleans was. Baton Rouge is the best area, especially if they install field turf.

89Hen
September 6th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Is now a good time to discuss moving the Bayou Classic up a week and giving the winner a shot at the playoffs?
FANTASTIC idea!!! :nod:

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2005, 12:21 PM
I was talking to someone at Texas Southern about it. We both agreed the SWAC's best teams can easily compete and have a chance at going deep. Still seems like light years away...

89Hen
September 6th, 2005, 12:38 PM
We both agreed the SWAC's best teams can easily compete and have a chance at going deep.
1996 JSU's only regular season loss is to Southern and they lose to W&M in the first round 45-6. The year before that they are undefeated in the SWAC and lose first round to Marshall 38-8.

From 2000-2002 Grambling went 26-3 in the SWAC and was clobbered by McNeese 52-20 to start the 2002 season.

In the last two years Southern was 16-3 vs. SWAC and lost to McNeese who had a losing record in the Southland.

There really aren't enough games to compare, but the few that there have been show otherwise TT.

citdog
September 6th, 2005, 12:40 PM
I am not sure about the SWAC going far. I watched the South Carolina State vs Alabama State on ESPN2 on saturday and SCST was a MUCH BETTER team and the MEAC swept the weekend series. The Meac is a playoff conference and the difference between the teams was noticeable.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 6th, 2005, 03:29 PM
I am not sure about the SWAC going far. I watched the South Carolina State vs Alabama State on ESPN2 on saturday and SCST was a MUCH BETTER team and the MEAC swept the weekend series. The Meac is a playoff conference and the difference between the teams was noticeable.
Although Bama St. was the east division favorite, all the swac insiders knew they would struggle. They lost their entire O-line, and D-line. Thats where they lost the game. Plus their DBs are very suspect. They have skill people on offense. As far as Hampton beating Jackson State everyone expected that. Jackson State will continue to be a Joke as Long as James Bell is their.
Southern and Grambling are the top Swac teams, as usual.