PDA

View Full Version : What do you think: Disrespectful or Ok?

SuperJon
October 16th, 2007, 06:57 AM
On Saturday, after Presbyterian beat VMI, they took an impromptu picture in front of the VMI scoreboard, on the VMI field. The picture happened after the VMI Doxology was played. It started with a few parents taking pictures of their kids in front of the scoreboard, then more kids joining, then more, then it all became an impromptu team picture.

Here's the picture:

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics27/400/OZ/OZQTXBEEPAFXCUP.20071015164257.jpg

So, here's the question: Was this picture ok or was it still disrespectful? I've heard arguments on both sides of it from the PC and VMI boards, but I thought I'd pose the question on here.

DTSpider
October 16th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Is this PC's first D1 win? It sounds like they waited a long time after the game. I have no problem with it.

There was an interesting event at the UR game this past weekend as well. UR has a very depleted defense right now and there are not backups at certain positions. Despite playing everyone who is not redshirting or injured, UR had to keep 2 "starters" in the game the whole time on defense. At the end of a 42-0 game, Stony Brook's coach went ballistic at midfield. Refused to shake Clawson's hand and started yelling at him. It was quite a little scene.

SuperJon
October 16th, 2007, 07:06 AM
PC beat NCCU earlier this year which is transitioning, so yes, this was their first win over a Division I team that has been full-fledged Div I for a while.

I, personally, don't like the fact that they took the picture because I don't like things like that. However, I understand why it happened, how it happened, and can completely understand why people think it's ok. It's just a matter of preference.

andy7171
October 16th, 2007, 07:16 AM
What's disrespectful about taking a group picture?

SuperJon
October 16th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Some people, and I admit this was my first thoughts, think it's showing up the opponent, especially if it's in front of the scoreboard.

BisonBacker
October 16th, 2007, 07:22 AM
I see no problem with it.

RDH701
October 16th, 2007, 07:24 AM
I guess it doen't seem disrespectful to me. I doubt the team intended the photo op in that way. xeyebrowx

andy7171
October 16th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Who cares? VMI should be more embarrassed about losing to PC than PC taking a picture.

SuperJon
October 16th, 2007, 07:37 AM
That's the line of thinking that a lot of people are saying.

mcveyrl
October 16th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I don't find it disrespectful. For one, it's a big occasion for their program. How cool will it be years from now to point to that picture and say "That's a photo from our first Division I win"?

It's not like they were jumping on the logo or all pointing at the scoreboard (which also would've made for a great picture!). Just some kids excited about a big win.

woffordgrad94
October 16th, 2007, 07:45 AM
This was a historical moment in PC football history-their first win over a real full-fledged Division I opponent. It is only natural to want a picture of history. If VMI can't realize that, then something's wrong with them. They also need to look at themselves and say "damn, if we had a halfway decent football program, this wouldn't have happened to us!" No wonder these guys left the SoCon.

SuperJon
October 16th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Don't get me wrong, VMI fans have said the same things some of you guys have. They've also had some guys that were upset about it. Coastal fans (who PC is playing this week) have said it was disrespectful. I thought it was at first til I started hearing the reasons why they did it and that it wasn't some publicity stunt like Spurrier at Duke.

Seahawks Fan
October 16th, 2007, 07:54 AM
I don't understand what the problem is. Good for them.

AppGirl
October 16th, 2007, 07:54 AM
I don't think that it was disrespectful. Just kids and parents wanting a picture to remember the moment, kinda like the ASU players taking pictures on the Michigan "M" after the game.

HensRock
October 16th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Of course they want to take the picture in front of the scoreboard. The scoreboard is a visual summary of the game which they want to include in the picture to capture the moment and record it for posterity. It's certainly no coinidence that the picture was taken in front of the scoreboard. If you think otherwise, you are kidding yourself. It's simply a logical thing to do.

Yeah, they're excited about their first D-I win, and why shouldn't they be?
I see no problem with this whatsoever. VMI should be congratulating them on the win instead of whining about disrespect. This is beyond ridiculous. Now if the grounds in front of the board are sacred in some way (like some former Keydet buried there or something), then yeah, that would be disrespectful. But just taking a picture in front of the scoreboard??? Impromtu or not - there is nothing disrespectful about it. VMI is just being a little too sensitive about it.

SuperJon
October 16th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Once again, most VMI fans aren't "whining." Many of them have said the same as you guys. I just know some people have thought it was somewhat disrespectful, and I've admitted I thought it was before I found out how it happened, so I wanted to see what others said.

89Hen
October 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM
To the victors go the spoils. xnodx xthumbsupx

I just saw a piece this weekend on somebody else doing this not long ago, who was that....

SuperJon
October 16th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Duke took a picture in front of UNC's scoreboard in 89 that pissed quite a few people off. Georgia also started celebrating on the Vandy "V" before their coach made them stop.

89Hen
October 16th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Duke took a picture in front of UNC's scoreboard in 89 that pissed quite a few people off.
Yes, thank you, that was it. I was watching the Carolina/Carolina game when they talked about that... Spurrier was Duke's coach that year.

My thought is that you have two choices if you're the home team... either turn the scoreboard off as soon as the game ends, or win the game.

Franks Tanks
October 16th, 2007, 08:32 AM
This was a historical moment in PC football history-their first win over a real full-fledged Division I opponent. It is only natural to want a picture of history. If VMI can't realize that, then something's wrong with them. They also need to look at themselves and say "damn, if we had a halfway decent football program, this wouldn't have happened to us!" No wonder these guys left the SoCon.

You consider VMI a real D-I program xlolx xoopsx

SuperJon
October 16th, 2007, 08:38 AM
VMI isn't a full-scholarship program. They're only at about 52 or so.

Dane96
October 16th, 2007, 08:41 AM
This picture is more than fine. Stomping on the V at Vandy (like Georgia players did) or Stony Brook players dancing on the Albany A during the LAX championship for the AE a few years ago...is disrespectful.

ASU88
October 16th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Looking at that picture, it doesn't seem too disrespectful to me. There's no stomping on logos, pointing at the scoreboard, or any other silliness. They are just recording a proud moment.

There seems to be a rash of people/teams getting their panties in a wad about various things after getting beat. Maybe they should just keep quiet and use that time and energy to go practice some more.

OhioHen
October 16th, 2007, 11:40 AM
The picture happened after the VMI Doxology was played.

Sounds to me like they properly respected VMI and its traditions, then took a picture. What could not be okay about that?

MSU_77
October 16th, 2007, 11:45 AM
So, here's the question: Was this picture ok or was it still disrespectful? I've heard arguments on both sides of it from the PC and VMI boards, but I thought I'd pose the question on here.

Think of it this way; PC thinks that beating VMI is a big deal. It's a compliment to your program.

HIU 93
October 16th, 2007, 11:46 AM
VMI is producing military officers who will defend this country in wars, and they get their feelings hurt by someone taking a picture?

CSUBUCDAD
October 16th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Spurrier did the same thing back in 79 when Duke won the ACC. Pissed off alot of people doing it but he never apologized and still won't when asked about it today.

lizrdgizrd
October 16th, 2007, 12:11 PM
No disrespect intended in this picture. Looks like a team who was happy to win and wanted to record the moment for posterity. I don't see any indication of dissing VMI in any way.

already123
October 16th, 2007, 12:36 PM
eh, its fine....kids will be kids. They are just celebrating a win

vmifan
October 16th, 2007, 12:41 PM
VMI is producing military officers who will defend this country in wars, and they get their feelings hurt by someone taking a picture?

Speaking for about 99% of the VMI fans, there was no problem with the picture. PC showed its respect by with VMI's traditions and the picture was fine. If you went to the VMI site you'd find that most everyone congratulated PC on its win (and off the site that was the same). I think this thread has taken on a misguided and unintended inference that VMI had a problem with the picture. The real problem was with VMI's poor play and lack of athleticism. Hopefully, Coach Reid will get this program to a point when it can compete.

SuperJon
October 16th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I said numerous times that most VMI fans didn't have a problem with it.

89Hen
October 16th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I can't believe you're taking such exception to this Jon. It's just a picture. :p

jstate83
October 16th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Who's surprised at people screaming disrespect.
it's a dang picture and that's all.

People have become so thinned skinned these day's.
If an athelete flashes a smile after scoring a touchdown, people will start screaming he trying to be a show off.xsmhx

FormerPokeCenter
October 16th, 2007, 01:51 PM
The argument could be made that Presbyterian is, in a way, honoring VMI, in that they think it's a major accomplishment to have beaten VMI.

If they didn't think it was a noteworthy event, they wouldn't have tried to memorialize it....

It's not like they're out there stomping on a logo at midfield or engaging in any thuggish behaviour.

You gotta watch those Damn Presbyterians. The next thing you know they'll be praying after the game or some such offensive display of bad manners....

pcguy09
October 16th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Also watch out for us to sneak up on any team we play.. that is if our defense can buckle down a little bit more

TheValleyRaider
October 16th, 2007, 01:57 PM
What do you mean "impromptu"?

Presbyterians are good Calvinists, the victory was clearly predestined xnodx

Ronin
October 16th, 2007, 01:58 PM
OK, nothing was hurt but the losing team's pride.

BEAR
October 16th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Look Presby's football name is "The Hose"..that's bad enough..If they came onto your field and beat you then you need to quit your boo-hooing and let them take their pics...simply because even though you lost to them, when they leave the stadium, they're still gonna be called "The HOSE".."the blue hose" so have a little pity on them and let the hosers take their pics and get back on the bus xlolx . :D xlolx

UNICats
October 16th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Hey - they didn't tear down the goalposts. They didn't dance on the VMI logo at the 50-yard line (I assume). I see no harm in a picture that captures a big win.

walliver
October 16th, 2007, 02:49 PM
These days, with all the camera phones and digital cameras, etc., just about everything gets photographed and appears on the internet. As long as Britney Spears wasn't exposing herself in the picture, it's not a big deal.

chattanoogamocs
October 16th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I think the few VMI fans that took exception are probably really just more upset about VMI's play (past and present) and this just presented another way to vent.

I see nothing wrong with what PC did at all.

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I don't find it disrespectful. For one, it's a big occasion for their program. How cool will it be years from now to point to that picture and say "That's a photo from our first Division I win"?

It's not like they were jumping on the logo or all pointing at the scoreboard (which also would've made for a great picture!). Just some kids excited about a big win.

I am in 100% agreement! Don't create controversy when and where there should be none! Let the kids enjoy the biggest football moment of their young lives! xthumbsupx

SuperJon
October 17th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I can't believe you're taking such exception to this Jon. It's just a picture. :p

Before I knew the situation, and how it happened, I thought it was disrespectful. Then when I found out the reasons, I didn't really care that they did it. I just think it's high schoolish.

AZGrizFan
October 17th, 2007, 02:45 PM
As Jim Rome would say, PC has "scoreboard". They apparently just wanted the evidence to live in perpetuity. :D :D :D

DB_Atlantic10
October 17th, 2007, 02:47 PM
On Saturday, after Presbyterian beat VMI, they took an impromptu picture in front of the VMI scoreboard, on the VMI field. The picture happened after the VMI Doxology was played. It started with a few parents taking pictures of their kids in front of the scoreboard, then more kids joining, then more, then it all became an impromptu team picture.

Here's the picture:

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics27/400/OZ/OZQTXBEEPAFXCUP.20071015164257.jpg

So, here's the question: Was this picture ok or was it still disrespectful? I've heard arguments on both sides of it from the PC and VMI boards, but I thought I'd pose the question on here. Who cares.... That's actually showing respect to VMI... I mean who else would want to take a pic of the VMI scoreboard after beating them..... Any takersxcoolx

GaSouthern
October 17th, 2007, 03:28 PM
nothing wrong with that picture, jumping up and down on the home team's field logo IS disrespect though (PC did not do this)

citdog
October 17th, 2007, 03:31 PM
VMI SUCKS SASQUATCH ****!

Go...gate
October 17th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I don't see any problem with it.

I still remember Colgate players, after beating Army 22-20 in 1987, gathering at midfield in Michie Stadium (after properly standing at attention for the USMA Alma Mater) and singing Colgate's Alma Mater, along with a few cheerleaders. No one at West Point took offense or talked about "payback" at the next game between the teams in 1989, when Army beat a much weaker Colgate team by 59-14.

Eyes of Old Main
October 17th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Taking the picture wasn't the classiest thing PC could have done, but I suppose I understand considering their excitement.

If they take a picture after their next win, then they need to be barbequed. xflamemadx

HaveFunKc
October 18th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Let's see if a current NBA star could put better than I can, "Pictures, pictures, we're talking about pictures. This isn't even a game we're talking about. Don't talk to me about pictures. We're only talking about pictures..." xrolleyesx

Obvious changes to fit the context...

In the end isn't someone taking pictures at every game for some reason or another???

AmsterBison
October 18th, 2007, 03:35 AM
I think it's a sign of respect for both your team and the FCS: They were so excited about the win, that they took a photo.

For example, it'd be kind of disappointing if a team came to the FargoDome, beat us, and then acted ho-hum about it. :)

SoCon48
October 18th, 2007, 04:08 AM

Here's the picture:

Perfectly kosher!

SoCon48
October 18th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Looking at that picture, it doesn't seem too disrespectful to me. There's no stomping on logos, pointing at the scoreboard, or any other silliness. They are just recording a proud moment.

There seems to be a rash of people/teams getting their panties in a wad about various things after getting beat. Maybe they should just keep quiet and use that time and energy to go practice some more.

VMI could have avoided the whole episode by just winning!!!!!;)

Appaholic
October 18th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Spurrier did the same thing back in 79 when Duke won the ACC. Pissed off alot of people doing it but he never apologized and still won't when asked about it today.

That's because he is a d!ck.....