PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky power rankings-Week 7

JALMOND
October 16th, 2007, 12:06 AM
OK so here we are in Week 7 and in the Big Sky we have Montana at the top and the rest rather scrambled. Maybe the east is right in their usual assessment of the conference (Montana and the rest). At least EWU squeezed into most polls, giving the conference three representatives in the top 25. With all that, here are this week's power rankings in the Big Sky. As before, all are just my opinion and all are open for discussion (I know I'll get some flack so have at it)...

1. Montana (1)---Much discussion as to if Montana is #1 in the polls, but no denying it within the conference. A scrappy win by the Griz in their first road game of the year at Sacramento State keeps them undefeated for the season as well as in conference. It sure hasn't been pretty, but the Griz are finding ways to win. This week, back to Missoula for a tassle with Northern Colorado. Griz should win by 50. Ok maybe 40. How about 30? Possibly 20? Go for 10?

2. Montana State (2)---A loss on the road to EWU brought the Cats back to the pack. Hard to find a positive within the confines of the game as EWU had their way with the Cats. This week, MSU welcomes that pesky Sacramento State team to Bozeman. Can the Cats locate that offense again?

3. Eastern Washington (5)---Someone had to make a move from the pack in the middle of the conference and the Eagles made a statement with their win over MSU. With confidence from their hard fought clash with Montana, EWU played a whole game in shutting down MSU's offense. This week, odd rotation means they will play out of conference and travel to FBS Brigham Young. Good luck Eagles.

4. Northern Arizona (3)---My gosh, the Jacks have the offense going now. 45 points in each of their last two games. Now the defense needs to catch up and the Jacks will be a force. Last week it was Idaho State at home. This week, that potent offense meets Weber State's awesome defense. Something's gotta give.

5. Portland State (4)---The bye week gone, the Vikings are eager to get back to conference play. Having a chance to heal some people up, the Vikings emerged with no trouble off the field. Whether Glanville and Davis made the trip to San Jose to see Hawaii play is also a mystery. One thing for sure, this week will find them in Pocatello to play Idaho State. Back to the conference.

6. Weber State (6)---Unscathed, unscarred, unfazed, the Wildcats arrived back in Ogden after their win at Northern Colorado. Don't look but the Wildcats offense is doing just enough to compliment that defense and the result are wins now. This week, the Wildcats welcome Northern Arizona's wild offense to Ogden. Can the defense stop that offense?

7. Sacramento State (7)---A game effort against the mighty Griz again came up short. The Hornet offense outplayed the Griz, but to win, you need to score and the Hornets could not do that. This week, a game on the road against a mean Montana State team. Snow and cold and up against a strong defense once again. Deja vu with Weber a few weeks ago?

8. Idaho State (8)---A shootout never materialized for the Bengals as NAU went up and down the field and ISU could not match them. Another long season has them eyeing the role of spoiler already. First opponent for the spoilers, Portland State brings the run and shoot to Pocatello. A win will end any chance PSU would have for the playoffs this year. Good opportunity for a spoiler.

9. Northern Colorado (9)---In the end, a good performance by the Bears defense, yet they too could not get any offense going against that Weber State defense. After the last two weeks you would hope it could get better. On the horizon for the Bears, this week at Montana followed by the next two against MSU and EWU. Oh my!

Yeah, I know. MSU #2 and EWU #3. Two things, MSU has only one conference loss and EWU won the game at home. A neutral site or a game played in Bozeman could possibly be different. For now, I have #1 a ways in front, 2-4 pretty even, with #5 a little bit further down and #6 a bit further than that. Sacramento State is dangerous, but with only one conference win, cannot really move them higher than where they are right now (#7).

kalm
October 16th, 2007, 12:39 AM
That's a pretty fair assesement.

Having watched PSU, the griz, and MSU over the past 3 weeks, all three teams seem very similar, with good size up front and fairly stout d's (although, after NAU hung 45 on the vik's I'm beginning to consider our loss to the vikings more about Matt Nichols having an off night - which he admitted to - than PSU's D.) PSU appears to have the better rushing attack and 0-line play of the three. It will be interesting to see if they can get a win out of either of the Montana schools.

I think our overall speed gives opposing teams fits. Especially at DE. Our D has given up 31, 28, 24, and 13 points the last four games. They are improving weekly. If they play like they did against the griz and the cats, we might be there at the end for some at-large consideration.

Peems
October 16th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Eastern had some bad luck against PSU and the Griz, they really need to run the table after BYU, if they can beat BYU, that would be great. I'll be cheering for em the whole way.

already123
October 16th, 2007, 10:03 AM
not bad, but how can you have NAU falling any spots after a blowout? They are in 2nd place in the BSC....?

putter
October 16th, 2007, 10:09 AM
If Eastern continues to play like they have been they could move up to the #1 spot. I think they are that good.

wapiti
October 16th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I would agree EWU and MSU are tied for second.
I would put Sac State ahead of Weber.
looks good. xthumbsupx

Kabooom
October 16th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Jalmond, Can't agree with your top two....need ta flip em...., but agree with the rest of your picks.....mine are:

1.EWU...xbowx ...IF.... they played the Griz right now....they would win by 2 TD's...Don't be surprised if they put on an offensive fireworks display for BYU.....
2.UM....playing at their pooooooorest.xbowx ...but still winning....but not #1

I Bleed Purple
October 16th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I would agree EWU and MSU are tied for second.
I would put Sac State ahead of Weber.
looks good. xthumbsupx

We beat Sac State by three touchdowns and have one more win...

already123
October 16th, 2007, 12:37 PM
eh...

I Bleed Purple
October 16th, 2007, 12:53 PM
eh...

Don't worry, you'll be a solid 6 this time next week.;)

:D

Peems
October 16th, 2007, 12:56 PM
NAU doesn't need to worry about their rank. All the teams ahead of them they have yet to play, if the beat em they can claim the #1 spot.

R.A.
October 16th, 2007, 01:28 PM
The Big Sky is looking more and more like a one playoff bid conference IMHO.

DuckDuckGriz
October 16th, 2007, 02:10 PM

How so? With the strength of EWU as of late along with Montana State (two losses, one to EWU one to Texas A&M) - it is not looking that way. And of course the Griz will be there toooooooo

already123
October 16th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I'd be suprised if the BSC doesnt send two this year...

Blazerbird
October 16th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Yeah, this conference is tougher than most people think. We beat up on each other during the regular season and can't show our depth in the playoffs. Add to that the number of games we normally play against quality FBS teams and our W-L percentages aren't what they could be. I've seen my Eagles play the Griz, Vikings, and Cats in person and can say that each of them is definitely not weak. Our conference race is still way up in the air.

AZGrizFan
October 16th, 2007, 05:41 PM

east coast blinders.... xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

I Bleed Purple
October 16th, 2007, 10:09 PM
The thing is, will a two conference loss team make it in at 8-3? 7-4?

A good chance second place will be tied at two losses.

blur2005
October 16th, 2007, 10:47 PM
If the CAA ends up with five 9-2 teams...8-3 teams in the Big Sky might fall by the wayside. Certainly no 7-4s.

GrizBowl
October 17th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Big Sky Conference has sent two teams to the playoffs more often than not. Not only do we have an automatic bid, but we also take an at-large bid to boot.

To all of the eastern teams that are quick to dismiss the Big Sky Conference: please, oh please get your athletic director to sign a game with Weber State and continue to underestimate this conference. It will be funny as hell to see how fast your opinion will change after the upset...

2002-Montana & Montana State
2003-Montana & Montana State
2004-Montana & Eastern Washington
2005-Montana & Eastern Washington
2006-Montana & Montana State

Think the Big Sky Conference is weak? Well, the people who have spent their professional lives working in this sport and decide which teams go to the playoffs don't see it that way.

One playoff spot? It doesn't take much to figure out that Eastern Washington will find a place in the post-season on the opposite bracket end as Montana if they continue to play well.

I Bleed Purple
October 17th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Or us, since we're going to 7-0 baby.xthumbsupx

Walkon79
October 17th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I know. MSU #2 and EWU #3. Two things, MSU has only one conference loss and EWU won the game at home. A neutral site or a game played in Bozeman could possibly be different. For now, I have #1 a ways in front, 2-4 pretty even, with #5 a little bit further down and #6 a bit further than that. Sacramento State is dangerous, but with only one conference win, cannot really move them higher than where they are right now (#7).

I would move EWU ahead of MSU right now, based on head-to-head and the lack of any offensive production out of the Bobcats the last two weeks. Eastern is solid.

DaGriz
October 17th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I would move EWU ahead of MSU right now, based on head-to-head and the lack of any offensive production out of the Bobcats the last two weeks. Eastern is solid.

I agree. And the only reason I wouldn't put EWU at #1 is again we beat them head to head. On a neutral field (not Cheney, that's our home field away from home:D ) I think we get beat at this point.

Griz0383
October 17th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Looking back at the EWU game I believe the Griz easily owned the first half and EWU had the advantage in the second. The Griz D bent to the point of snapping but always seem to make the stop. Then EWU gets the game changing and timely "roughing the snapper" call with the automatic 1st down. GIMMIE A #$#%## Break!

The cats D looked awesome early in the EWU game but had no answer down the stretch. This could be an indication of future problems slowing NAU and PSU down enough to stay in the game.

My rankings
Griz: tough D, out of sync O
EWU: fluid and effective O
NAU[/COLOR]: Speed and a great QB
MSU: inconsistant O, strong D
PSU: running and shooting at will! D a ?
WSU: goodt D, imerging O(don't look past them)
SAC: good D, effective O
ISU: havent seen play
UNC: Sad to see a team struggle this bad!

already123
October 18th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Looking back at the EWU game I believe the Griz easily owned the first half and EWU had the advantage in the second. The Griz D bent to the point of snapping but always seem to make the stop. Then EWU gets the game changing and timely "roughing the snapper" call with the automatic 1st down. GIMMIE A #$#%## Break!

The cats D looked awesome early in the EWU game but had no answer down the stretch. This could be an indication of future problems slowing NAU and PSU down enough to stay in the game.

My rankings
Griz: tough D, out of sync O
EWU: fluid and effective O
NAU[/COLOR]: Speed and a great QB
MSU: inconsistant O, strong D
PSU: running and shooting at will! D a ?
WSU: goodt D, imerging O(don't look past them)
SAC: good D, effective O
ISU: havent seen play
UNC: Sad to see a team struggle this bad!

I'd say that's accurate

Walkon79
October 18th, 2007, 08:59 PM

They fly to the football, but the mis-direction, screens and counters killed them in the second half. Need to play more disiplined in the lanes, and Austin needs to be healthy for the Cat's D to be effective. He's a solid cover guy.

Peems
October 18th, 2007, 10:52 PM
They fly to the football, but the mis-direction, screens and counters killed them in the second half. Need to play more disiplined in the lanes, and Austin needs to be healthy for the Cat's D to be effective. He's a solid cover guy.

Same thing killed the Griz against Weber early on, they would fly to the ball but many times it would hurt them.