18. Western Illinois
19. Richmond
20. The Citadel
21. Eastern Kentucky
22. Montana St.
23. Eastern Illinois
24. Eastern Washington
25. Grambling St.

Dropped out: Hampton (19), Georgia Southern (23), Furman (25)

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Norfolk St. (49), Elon (42), San Diego (40), Hampton (35), Villanova (16), Alabama A&M (14), Illinois St. (9), Georgia Southern (8), Central Arkansas (6), Sam Houston St. (6), Fordham (5), Lafayette (5)

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Northern Iowa
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Montana St.

appfan2008
October 15th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I believe the entire top 10 still has a shot at the national title... very wide open at this point

EmeryZach
October 15th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I'm suprised UMass didn't drop after a pretty bad showing vs Nova

D1B
October 15th, 2007, 12:20 PM
I'd switch #10 Hofstra with #11 Youngstown. IMO.xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I believe the entire top 10 still has a shot at the national title... very wide open at this point
Except #2. xsmiley_wix

Black Saturday
October 15th, 2007, 12:22 PM

A bad showing is better than not playing. APP slides lol:o

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM
A bad showing is better than not playing. APP slides lol:o
App lost their two #1 votes. xeyebrowx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM

I know I dropped them in my poll. Equally shocking is how Montana St. didn't slide more after EWU beat them.

GannonFan
October 15th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Agreed, no reason for anyone to whine about Appy "sliding", especially since they didn't lose a spot in the poll. The two people who apparently missed Appy losing to Wofford finally got the result from that game and voted accordingly. xthumbsupx

andy7171
October 15th, 2007, 12:28 PM

I had Wofford leapfrog them, though it was only from #5 to #4.

lizrdgizrd
October 15th, 2007, 12:29 PM
No Norfolk State. xchinscratchx

Gil Dobie
October 15th, 2007, 12:29 PM
A Win is a Win, great teams fight off the upset bids every week.

JoshUCA
October 15th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Movin' on up!! :)

MSUBear42
October 15th, 2007, 12:38 PM
how the hell is Illinois State getting votes in front of Missouri State? We schooled them?

terrierbob
October 15th, 2007, 12:41 PM

They looked flat against Bye.

KiddBrewer
October 15th, 2007, 12:42 PM
man i wish we wouldnt have played like **** down in spartanburg a few weeks back.....xcoffeex xoopsx but....woffords good, deserving of the spot....i dont know that we should keep falling, but there are atleast 9 teams that could win....i still take us come mid december on experience alone. i love FCS football:D

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 12:52 PM
How the heck is Yale 13?xeekx They have not beat anybody of significance. I would have them around 20 to 23.

bjtheflamesfan
October 15th, 2007, 12:53 PM
They are first one in among the ARV teams. I think another win will put them in the top 25 for week 8

GannonFan
October 15th, 2007, 12:54 PM
man i wish we wouldnt have played like **** down in spartanburg a few weeks back.....xcoffeex xoopsx but....woffords good, deserving of the spot....i dont know that we should keep falling, but there are atleast 9 teams that could win....i still take us come mid december on experience alone. i love FCS football:D

How are you guys "falling"? You were 7th last week and 7th this week. Yeah, you lost the 2 first place votes but you shouldn't have had them in the first place and UNI just put up another big win and is still undefeated and picked up 5 more first place votes. If you dropped some spots, then yes, you'd have an argument, but Appy St didn't go anywhere.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2007, 12:59 PM
How the heck is Yale 13?xeekx They have not beat anybody of significance. I would have them around 20 to 23.

Holy Cross (4-2), Lehigh (3-3), and Cornell (3-2) are not chopped liver.

And I have been seriously thinking about voting them #1.

GannonFan
October 15th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Huh????? Where do you have them ranked now???? That's just lunacy. xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 01:05 PM

A dios mio (espanol translation: oh my god)!xeekx What do you base the strength of those teams on?

BigApp
October 15th, 2007, 01:05 PM

I'm sure the folks over at Holy Cross enjoy you saying they're not significant. They're only 4-2. Yale went on the road and throttled them 38-17.

And, before it's mentioned, they haven't (and won't) played any non-DI's.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Huh????? Where do you have them ranked now???? That's just lunacy. xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

xlolx xlolx xlolx You beat me too it.xthumbsupx

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I'm sure the folks over at Holy Cross enjoy you saying they're not significant. They're only 4-2. Yale went on the road and throttled them 38-17.

And, before it's mentioned, they haven't (and won't) played any non-DI's.

Who has Holy Cross beaten? Harvard, Georgetown, Brown, and Dartmouth..... wow what an impressive resume.xeyebrowx

bjtheflamesfan
October 15th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Well when San Diego can step up and beat somebody not from the Patriot league and actually takes the time to get some challenging games on the schedule (I mean hello you got a wealth of teams just on the Western side of the country that could upgrade your schedule) maybe theyll get a little more respect. Im not saying that to pump up Liberty's schedule by any means...theirs needs a lot of work too (and we still need to win some of the bigger games on our schedule) I just think that all the talk from you about other teams lacking schedules goes without saying since your schedule is not all that much to write home about

BigApp
October 15th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Who has Holy Cross beaten? Harvard, Georgetown, Brown, and Dartmouth..... wow what an impressive resume.xeyebrowx

more impressive than yours xcoffeex

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Well when San Diego can step up and beat somebody not from the Patriot league and actually takes the time to get some challenging games on the schedule (I mean hello you got a wealth of teams just on the Western side of the country that could upgrade your schedule) maybe theyll get a little more respect. Im not saying that to pump up Liberty's schedule by any means...theirs needs a lot of work too (and we still need to win some of the bigger games on our schedule) I just think that all the talk from you about other teams lacking schedules goes without saying since your schedule is not all that much to write home about

A wealth of teams.... this is not the east coast. These teams in the west are spread out over a much greater distance than the east. And San Diego is practically on an island out here with the too closest teams being Cal Poly and Northern Arizona.

Funny that you mention the PL, because that is all that Yale is doing this year, and yet they are ranked 13th!xeekx And USD has not played anyone from the PL this year. The last one we played was a beating of Holy Cross a few years ago.

GannonFan
October 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Hey, why knock USD just because the USD fan is questioning the idea that Yale could and maybe should be #1? There's a whole nother thread where you can question USD credentials, and rightfully so. But I think some of you guys are missing the argument in your attempt to rip USD - do you really think Yale should be considered maybe the #1 team in the land? I can't think of any scenario right now that would have them anywhere near that distinction.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 01:20 PM
more impressive than yours xcoffeex

On what grounds? Those teams play within a small pool of schools. The ivies and the PLs just play eachother. How does that demonstrate the level of talent? For all we know those teams could all be horrible, but one team is not as horrible as the rest.

BigApp
October 15th, 2007, 01:21 PM
do you really think Yale should be considered maybe the #1 team in the land? I can't think of any scenario right now that would have them anywhere near that distinction.

I can't either. that's crazy talk!

UNHWildCats
October 15th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Pot, meet kettle.

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 01:23 PM
A Win is a Win, great teams fight off the upset bids every week.
GREAT teams don't have to fight off upsets every week. xcoffeex

bjtheflamesfan
October 15th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Hey why not have a go at somebody like Portland State or Northern Iowa or heck even Appy State, Youngstown State, Missouri State, I could go on and on. San Diego is not gonna get much respect from the country until they start stepping up to play the bigger and better teams in FCS. That is something Liberty is gonna have to do that too as they get better and better under Coach Rocco.

BigApp
October 15th, 2007, 01:26 PM
On what grounds?

none are NAIA teams.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 01:27 PM
none are NAIA teams.

The same NAIA school that Nicholls State almost lost to?

bjtheflamesfan
October 15th, 2007, 01:28 PM
and what's more...you aren't even traveling east for non-conference games

mlbowl
October 15th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Hmmmmmm....such as...UMass?

bjtheflamesfan
October 15th, 2007, 01:34 PM
GannonFan, youre pretty much fighting a losing battle. Until USD actually plays some good teams non-conference on a regular basis the Toreros are not gonna get that much if any respect from the rest of 1-AA/FCS

lizrdgizrd
October 15th, 2007, 01:34 PM

LFN, you are one funny guy! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

GannonFan
October 15th, 2007, 01:36 PM
GannonFan, youre pretty much fighting a losing battle. Until USD actually plays some good teams non-conference on a regular basis the Toreros are not gonna get that much if any respect from the rest of 1-AA/FCS

I'm not arguing that - heck, I pretty much rip USD on the other thread precisely because they don't play anyone. What I was saying is that people here are ripping USD simply because a USD fan brought up the idea that Yale doesn't have a schedule that would make them worthy of the potential #1 ranking, as an earlier poster said he was considering.

GannonFan
October 15th, 2007, 01:37 PM

LFN, you are one funny guy! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

That's what I'm referring to, Liberty guy.

HIU 93
October 15th, 2007, 01:42 PM

That I don't understand. DSU is in because they beat us. Their only loss is to Kent. St. NSU is not in, but they beat us AND South Carolina St., and their only loss is to Rutgers. That's okay. I think the Spartans are going to surprise SOMEONE come the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Gee, who does that describe? Yale, perhaps?

andy7171
October 15th, 2007, 02:06 PM
That I don't understand. DSU is in because they beat us. Their only loss is to Kent. St. NSU is not in, but they beat us AND South Carolina St., and their only loss is to Rutgers. That's okay. I think the Spartans are going to surprise SOMEONE come the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

NSU goes to Newark, DE in the first round. DelState goes to Amherst, MA. And the never ending thread continues for another year! xrotatehx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2007, 02:12 PM
To answer that burning question of the day, I have Yale currently at #7.

Yale has a back that basically can't be stopped (Mike McLeod). He has 995 yards and 15 rushing TDs in 5 games.

The have dropped 50 points on their last two league opponents, including 3-2 Cornell.

They went on the road and beat a team that could be considered the frontrunner for the Patriot League Championship (Holy Cross). At home, they beat another perennial Patriot League title contender (Lehigh). Three of the teams they beat have .500 and over records and all of those teams have all played all Division I opponents.

Every school they beat had at the very minimum 30 scholarship equivalencies - and that was Georgetown. Cornell and Dartmouth definitely have more than that, and Holy Cross and Lehigh have more than 50.

I have seen them play and I think they are one of the best teams in FCS this year.

How is that not "worthy" of the #1 ranking?

JmuSkinsfan
October 15th, 2007, 02:13 PM
NSU goes to Newark, DE in the first round. DelState goes to Amherst, MA. And the never ending thread continues for another year! xrotatehx

No...Norfolk State goes to James Madison. Del State goes to Delaware. UMass will host, but who I have no idea.

3 CAA teams should host games

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Hmmmmmm....such as...UMass?
I don't have UMass at #1 either, so what's your point?

But even so, they gave Maine their worst loss, Towson their worst loss, Colgate their worst loss... xcoffeex

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2007, 02:17 PM
And let's compare to UMass:

Wins over:

3-4 Towson
1-5 Maine
4-2 Holy Cross (by less than Yale's margin of victory)\
4-3 Villanova
3-3 Colgate

Loss to FBS Boston College

Let's see, 2 wins over teams with winning records, 1 win over a team with a .500 record. Similar to... Yale, except Yale beat Holy Cross by more points and they don't have a loss.

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Gee, who does that describe? Yale, perhaps?
You are correct, they should be #1... or at least when they beat a ranked team which should be any year now. I'd love to see them schedule a CAA team. xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2007, 02:18 PM
You are correct, they should be #1... or at least when they beat a ranked team which should be any year now. I'd love to see them schedule a CAA team. xthumbsupx

Interesting... UMass also hasn't beaten a ranked team. xcoffeex

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Yale beat Holy Cross by more points
VMI beat Lehigh by more points than Yale did... Keydets should be #1!

HensRock
October 15th, 2007, 02:21 PM

Yale has a back that basically can't be stopped (Mike McLeod). He has 995 yards and 15 rushing TDs in 5 games.

Delaware has a back with 1096 yards and 24 TD's in 7 games. Where do you have Delaware ranked?

HensRock
October 15th, 2007, 02:23 PM
UMass will host, but who I have no idea.

Holy Cross or maybe Fordham

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Interesting... UMass also hasn't beaten a ranked team. xcoffeex
"No. 3 UMass Topples No. 23 Towson, 36-13 In CAA Opener"

And like I said... I don't have them #1 either, so I'm really not sure of your point.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2007, 02:34 PM
"No. 3 UMass Topples No. 23 Towson, 36-13 In CAA Opener"

And like I said... I don't have them #1 either, so I'm really not sure of your point.

My point is folks have been saying considering Yale as a #1 team is outlandish in their eyes. I am merely pointing out that it's not outlandish at all, as they have a record comparable to UMass, who folks for some reason do think is "reasonable" to consider as a #1 team. It's not so much a hit on you 89.

FWIW I have Delaware at #14 and Hofstra at #10, which is exactly where the consensus AGS community has them. And Delaware lost to UNH... and also hasn't beaten a ranked opponent. For folks to say that "Yale hasn't beat a ranked opponent" and then to turn around and say "UMass should be #1 because they played a 3-4 team that was ranked #23 when they played them and nobody else" is ludicrous. Esepcially when they are trying to say that UMass' win over Holy Cross counts more than Yale's when Yale beat them more convincingly.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 02:36 PM

The have dropped 50 points on their last two league opponents, including 3-2 Cornell.

They went on the road and beat a team that could be considered the frontrunner for the Patriot League Championship (Holy Cross). At home, they beat another perennial Patriot League title contender (Lehigh). Three of the teams they beat have .500 and over records and all of those teams have all played all Division I opponents.

Every school they beat had at the very minimum 30 scholarship equivalencies - and that was Georgetown. Cornell and Dartmouth definitely have more than that, and Holy Cross and Lehigh have more than 50.

I have seen them play and I think they are one of the best teams in FCS this year.

If that is one of your supporting facts, then the same can be said about San Diego with Josh Johnson. Once again you are basing this on victories against PL teams (maybe a little PL bias being shown), all of which aren't close to be ranked in the top 25.

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 02:59 PM
For folks to say that "Yale hasn't beat a ranked opponent" and then to turn around and say "UMass should be #1...
FWIW, 101 of 103 voters here don't think either are #1. xsmiley_wix

Also, I dropped UMass a spot this week and have

16. New Hampshire
17. Delaware
18. Yale

xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

lizrdgizrd
October 15th, 2007, 03:13 PM
My point is folks have been saying considering Yale as a #1 team is outlandish in their eyes. I am merely pointing out that it's not outlandish at all, as they have a record comparable to UMass, who folks for some reason do think is "reasonable" to consider as a #1 team. It's not so much a hit on you 89.

FWIW I have Delaware at #14 and Hofstra at #10, which is exactly where the consensus AGS community has them. And Delaware lost to UNH... and also hasn't beaten a ranked opponent. For folks to say that "Yale hasn't beat a ranked opponent" and then to turn around and say "UMass should be #1 because they played a 3-4 team that was ranked #23 when they played them and nobody else" is ludicrous. Esepcially when they are trying to say that UMass' win over Holy Cross counts more than Yale's when Yale beat them more convincingly.
I would use UNI as my argument. That is a team deserving of a #1. Beat an FCS team, beat #8 Southern Illinois, won @ #18 Illinois State, won @ #24 Drake. I think that's a much better resume than Yale. xcoffeex

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I would use UNI as my argument. That is a team deserving of a #1. Beat an FCS team, beat #8 Southern Illinois, won @ #18 Illinois State, won @ #24 Drake. I think that's a much better resume than Yale. xcoffeex

Come on now. If a San Diego fan put that statement in their they would get blasted. I don't think Drake is a top 25 team (if they are then what would San Diego be?), and I think that has been proven by UNI and San Diego.

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Come on now. If a San Diego fan put that statement in their they would get blasted. I don't think Drake is a top 25 team (if they are then what would San Diego be?), and I think that has been proven by UNI and San Diego.
xnonox The problem is what comes before that... "an FCS team, beat #8 Southern Illinois, won @ #18 Illinois State..." that's what USD is lacking. Drake is the fourth best win for UNI, it's the best one for USD.

lizrdgizrd
October 15th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Those are simply the rankings according to the AGS Poll at the time they played. xpeacex

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 03:33 PM
xnonox The problem is what comes before that... "an FCS team, beat #8 Southern Illinois, won @ #18 Illinois State..." that's what USD is lacking. Drake is the fourth best win for UNI, it's the best one for USD.

I have no problem with UNI. I have them as my number 1 team, but I was just making a point that saying they beat a #24 Drake is absurd. Drake was ranked because they beat an overrated ISU team on a last second fluke play. UNI and San Diego has shown that it was a fluke by dismantling them.

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I have them as my number 1 team, but I was just making a point that saying they beat a #24 Drake is absurd. Drake was ranked because they beat an overrated ISU team on a last second fluke play. UNI and San Diego has shown that it was a fluke by dismantling them.
But had they not played UNI, they might still be ranked... some teams can skate by for a long time in the rankings without playing anyone of note.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 03:45 PM
But had they not played UNI, they might still be ranked... some teams can skate by for a long time in the rankings without playing anyone of note.

Did you not see the score from this weekend? Unless of course the "anyone of note" you are referring to is San Diego?xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Did you not see the score from this weekend? Unless of course the "anyone of note" you are referring to is San Diego?xthumbsupx
I was poorly trying to imply that USD has stayed ranked a long time while playing nobody of note.

BigApp
October 15th, 2007, 03:48 PM

have they beaten an FBS team?

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I was poorly trying to imply that USD has stayed ranked a long time while playing nobody of note.

That's the key wordxsmiley_wix

mlbowl
October 15th, 2007, 03:51 PM
But even so, they gave Maine their worst loss, Towson their worst loss, Colgate their worst loss... xcoffeex

UMass has a loss plus they just struggled at home with unranked Villanova...hmmmm, where are all those cries of overrated that we Griz fans have become so accustomed to hearing? Btw, unranked Maine, unranked Towson, and unranked Colgate...not that impressedxpeacex

BigApp
October 15th, 2007, 03:52 PM
The same NAIA school that Nicholls State almost lost to?

xrolleyesx yet they also scheduled 2 FBS teams xrolleyesx

nice try though xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 03:58 PM
UMass has a loss plus they just struggled at home with unranked Villanova...hmmmm, where are all those cries of overrated that we Griz fans have become so accustomed to hearing? Btw, unranked Maine, unranked Towson, and unranked Colgate...not that impressedxpeacex
I'm not saying Maine, Towson, Colgate... are great wins, but UMass is dispatching those teams fairly handily (if it weren't for the massive amounts of stupid penalties UMass takes, they would have absolutely obliterated them). Montana OTOH has been struggling with similar teams.

BTW...

17 Villanova
31 Towson
45 Colgate
54 Maine
56 Weber State
63 Sacramento State

xeyebrowx

asu70
October 15th, 2007, 04:02 PM

I don't think that it was one of Apps better games...but you have to give credit to Wofford....that's one of the best games I've seen played against the Apps in a long time and you can count on one hand the number of games I've missed in the last ten years.

AZGrizFan
October 15th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I'm not saying Maine, Towson, Colgate... are great wins, but UMass is dispatching those teams fairly handily (if it weren't for the massive amounts of stupid penalties UMass takes, they would have absolutely obliterated them). Montana OTOH has been struggling with similar teams.

BTW...

17 Villanova
31 Towson
45 Colgate
54 Maine
56 Weber State
63 Sacramento State

xeyebrowx

Well, if you're gonna throw THAT caveat in there, the same could be said for Montana's performances recently.... xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 04:04 PM
xrolleyesx yet they also scheduled 2 FBS teams xrolleyesx

nice try though xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Fine, but that doesn't take away the fact that they almost lost to the same school everyone in here rags on.

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Well, if you're gonna throw THAT caveat in there, the same could be said for Montana's performances recently.... xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx
But UMass still beat them easily.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 15th, 2007, 04:05 PM
can't believe UCA is only getting 6 votes...wow.

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 04:06 PM
UMass has a loss plus they just struggled at home with unranked Villanova...hmmmm, where are all those cries of overrated that we Griz fans have become so accustomed to hearing?
BTW, UMass is #3, UM is #6... not sure what the beef is anyway. xeyebrowx

lizrdgizrd
October 15th, 2007, 04:09 PM
They're only #8 in my poll and the Griz are #5. Not impressed by either's performances thus far. xcoffeex

Col Hogan
October 15th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Wins over:

3-4 Towson
1-5 Maine
4-3 Villanova
3-3 Colgate

Let's see, 2 wins over teams with winning records, 1 win over a team with a .500 record. Similar to... Yale, except Yale beat Holy Cross by more points and they don't have a loss.

I don't havbe UMass in my top 5...for the record...

But please, Yale hasn't even stepped up to play an FCS team...so of course, they don't have a loss...

lizrdgizrd
October 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I don't havbe UMass in my top 5...for the record...

But please, Yale hasn't even stepped up to play an FCS team...so of course, they don't have a loss...
Georgetown and Holy Cross don't count? xconfusedx

AZGrizFan
October 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Georgetown and Holy Cross don't count? xconfusedx

Nope. ;) ;)

mlbowl
October 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM
but UMass is dispatching those teams fairly handily (if it weren't for the massive amounts of stupid penalties UMass takes, they would have absolutely obliterated them).

Again...not impressed. C'mon 89, do you REALLY believe Towson, Colgate and Maine are any better than WSU & Sac St.? Btw, I've never said I'm impressed with Montana's victories but if we find a way to win each week I'm content.

mlbowl
October 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM
BTW, UMass is #3, UM is #6... not sure what the beef is anyway. xeyebrowx

No beef:)

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Again...not impressed. C'mon 89, do you REALLY believe Towson, Colgate and Maine are any better than WSU & Sac St.? Btw, I've never said I'm impressed with Montana's victories but if we find a way to win each week I'm content.
Of course I think they are better than WSU and SacSt... I'm from the East Coast, remember? But the truth is, no, they are only marginally better... but that's part of the point. UMass has taken care of these middle ranked teams while Montana hasn't. I have Montana in my Top 10 for cryin' out loud... I'm not exactly sure what your beef is. xconfusedx I just don't have them #1 and honestly, with UNI's resume alone (take away NDSU, McNeese, SIU, etc...) I don't see how anyone can have either UMass or Montana #1.

AggieFinn
October 15th, 2007, 04:41 PM

It's going to be an amazing set of playoffs.

DB_Atlantic10
October 15th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I'm suprised UMass didn't drop after a pretty bad showing vs Nova Give Nova come credit......xpeacex

DB_Atlantic10
October 15th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Hampton is just down this year.....

DB_Atlantic10
October 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Wins over:

3-4 Towson
1-5 Maine
4-3 Villanova
3-3 Colgate

Let's see, 2 wins over teams with winning records, 1 win over a team with a .500 record. Similar to... Yale, except Yale beat Holy Cross by more points and they don't have a loss. Just wondering if Yale went into there 2 deep as early as UMass having much more to prove than the Minutemen....

DB_Atlantic10
October 15th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I think the CAA's out of conference record speaks for itself....

already123
October 15th, 2007, 05:24 PM
just a question.....what is the use ranking teams that are not a part of the playoffs? Aside from transitional reasons (NDSU, etc.) should we rank teams that don't have a shot at the title??

bjtheflamesfan
October 15th, 2007, 06:09 PM
That's what I'm referring to, Liberty guy.
point noted. Here is my top 10 for this week:

1. Northern Iowa
2. North Dakota St.
3. Massachusetts
4. Appalachian St.
5. Wofford
6. Montana
7. McNeese St.
8. Hofstra
9. Yale
10. James Madison

Of those teams I have had a chance to actually see only one (#8 Hofstra) but really judging by the at a glances that I have been sent and looking at the scores and the teams played, I really like #1, 3-8 and 10 as teams that could concievably do something big in the playoffs should they make it. #2 I can't say anything about because they are not eligible. #9, the Ivy is down right now (2 teams above .500 Yale and Harvard) so I don't think that will indicate them not doing well, but often times going into the playoffs battle tested can serve some benefit.

ngineer
October 15th, 2007, 06:51 PM
VMI beat Lehigh by more points than Yale did... Keydets should be #1!

What the heck are you talking about? Lehigh beat VMI 37-6!!!

ngineer
October 15th, 2007, 06:53 PM

BTW...

17 Villanova
31 Towson
45 Colgate
54 Maine
56 Weber State
63 Sacramento State

xeyebrowx

Isn't that what distinguishes the best teams from good teams???

already123
October 15th, 2007, 07:13 PM
just a question.....what is the use ranking teams that are not a part of the playoffs? Aside from transitional reasons (NDSU, etc.) should we rank teams that don't have a shot at the title??

blur2005
October 15th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Because technically all teams except for Ivies have a shot in some sense. But there's no way the Ivies will ever be excluded from rankings.

poly51
October 15th, 2007, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=USDFAN_55;692970]A wealth of teams.... this is not the east coast. These teams in the west are spread out over a much greater distance than the east. And San Diego is practically on an island out here with the too closest teams being Cal Poly and Northern Arizona.

So why don't you schedule Cal Poly? Only 315 miles away.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=USDFAN_55;692970]A wealth of teams.... this is not the east coast. These teams in the west are spread out over a much greater distance than the east. And San Diego is practically on an island out here with the too closest teams being Cal Poly and Northern Arizona.

So why don't you schedule Cal Poly? Only 315 miles away.

It seems like we wanted a Home and Home with you guys, but you weren't having it. That must be a sticking point for our AD.

Peems
October 15th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I have a feeling that once Josh Johnson graduates San Diego might have more "tough" games.

appfan2008
October 15th, 2007, 10:05 PM

it would be nice to only include playoff eligible teams but that will never happen

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I have a feeling that once Josh Johnson graduates San Diego might have more "tough" games.

you're probably right. that is why we are so anxious to have a shot at the play-offs this year. we would love to see how this team compares to the best.

UMass922
October 15th, 2007, 10:26 PM

Why not rank teams that don't participate in the playoffs? What does the poll have to do with the playoffs? Precisely because FCS has a playoff--unlike FBS--the polls are of no significant consequence: they're purely for entertainment value. So why not rank an IVY, SWAC, or transitional team if one feels it's one of the top 25 in the FCS? It's fun and harmless to see where people think the best of those teams stack up against the playoff teams. And at least it's a way to acknowledge/reward, however inadequately, those teams that don't get a chance to show what they can do in the playoffs (but would undoubtedly like to).

89Hen
October 16th, 2007, 08:17 AM
They are in I-AA and they do play teams from conferences that do participate. If you didn't rank them, it would almost be like saying we shouldn't count losses to them either (Yale over Lehigh, etc).