PDA

View Full Version : Montana will win the National Championship

D1B
October 15th, 2007, 09:19 AM
My official prediction! They will get on step soon and with the inevitalble home field throught the playoffs, they will win ugly.

I've predicted them to win it all for the last three years, and perhaps I'm jinxing them, but I really feel it this year.xnodx

Griz0383
October 15th, 2007, 09:28 AM
WOW, that renewed my faith! thanks, but the fall out from your bold statement could be intense! I bet the rest of the FCS nation is finally shaking in their little booties! If you make it to montana the first drink is on me no matter the outcome of your perdiction.

TCisMYhero
October 15th, 2007, 09:52 AM
My official prediction! They will get on step soon and with the inevitalble home field throught the playoffs, they will win ugly.

I've predicted them to win it all for the last three years, and perhaps I'm jinxing them, but I really feel it this year.xnodx

I've been reading this board for almost a year now, and no post has elicited this response more.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Benne
October 15th, 2007, 10:21 AM
You can just forget about it. Don't you know Montana is undefeated, they're in crapsville.

putter
October 15th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Montana is just sleepwalking through our conference of "bad teams". Once the playoffs start they will wake up and play some football. :D

DuckDuckGriz
October 15th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I've been reading this board for almost a year now, and no post has elicited this response more.

LOL is a little behind the times this board knows better.

D1B please stop making this prediction. It is our cover jinx....You are solely why we have not won the NC in the last three years. Piss off.

D1B
October 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM

No seriously, I really feel it. They're flying under the radar and in perfect position to make a run! Plus they have the best fans in 1AA.

Grizzaholic
October 15th, 2007, 01:38 PM
No seriously, I really feel it. They're flying under the radar and in perfect position to make a run! Plus they have the best fans in 1AA.

And some of the worst coaching. Maybe playcalling, also.

D1B
October 15th, 2007, 01:48 PM
And some of the worst coaching. Maybe playcalling, also.

You gotta call the plays that the personnel can run. They aint quite there yet, but they will be. This team reminds me of the 2004 (?) team that made the championship game but fell short to JMU. I predicted Montana to win it all that year and I came within a few pieces of sod short!

Saluki_man
October 15th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I don't think you can perdict any team to be a favorite to win in Chatty, untill you see the playoff matchups. Montana might have this road to go through McNeese, Appy St, UMass, and UNI. I can see atleast 10 teams with a ligitamate shot to win it all.

On a side note, this may be one of those years that someone goes to Missoula and gets a win in the playoffs.

Black and Gold Express
October 15th, 2007, 02:08 PM
On a side note, this may be one of those years that someone goes to Missoula and gets a win in the playoffs.

You mean like last year?

Grizzaholic
October 15th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I don't think you can perdict any team to be a favorite to win in Chatty, untill you see the playoff matchups. Montana might have this road to go through McNeese, Appy St, UMass, and UNI. I can see atleast 10 teams with a ligitamate shot to win it all.

That happened last year, so we don't need that happening again. We will be on the road this year. Maybe if we went on the road, gasp no home football for turkey day and beyond, throughout the playoffs and won them all then won the chipper people would quit bashing us for always playing at home in the playoffs.

maybe.

Saluki_man
October 15th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Sorry, I totally forgot about that.

There are going to be great first round games with title contenders matching up.

proasu89
October 15th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Sorry, I totally forgot about that.

There are going to be great first round games with title contenders matching up.

Hence, my argument for 16 teams. Good games from the get go.

AlphaSigMD
October 15th, 2007, 04:04 PM
A better question might be, what are the chances that Montana really goes undefeated in the Big Sky this year?

My guess: 25%

appfan2008
October 15th, 2007, 04:08 PM
A better question might be, what are the chances that Montana really goes undefeated in the Big Sky this year?

my guess would be more like 15%

i see many losable games in the very near future for them but i do believe they will finish the year 10-1...

DuckDuckGriz
October 15th, 2007, 04:09 PM

i see many losable games in the very near future for them but i do believe they will finish the year 10-1...

At this point each of the BSC teams left on our schedule have a good chance to knock us off...

Especially when things get muddy in Bozeman.

AZGrizFan
October 15th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Playing the way they're playing right now, that'd be a miracle. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xmadx xmadx

Grizzaholic
October 15th, 2007, 04:14 PM
At this point each of the BSC teams left on our schedule have a good chance to knock us off...

I think the muddy part has already happened.

Cap'n Cat
October 15th, 2007, 04:15 PM

They just need The Lord Baby Jesus on their side, eh, Sigmund?

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

DuckDuckGriz
October 15th, 2007, 04:16 PM
They just need The Lord Baby Jesus on their side, eh, Sigmund?

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Are you suggesting that dear lord Baby Jesus is NOT on our side? xeyebrowx

sick *****.

mvemjsunpx
October 15th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I don't know if the Griz will win the championship. That's usually a crapshoot for even the best looking teams.

However, I am pretty sure Montana will finish the regular season undefeated. They won't lose to Northern Colorado or Idaho State, because those teams are lousy. NAU could be trouble, but they always lay an egg whenever they appear to have a chance to beat the Griz (remember the 59-21 game in 2003 when NAU was favored to win). Jerome Souers is also 0-9 against his former employer. Portland can pass for a lot of yards, but they can't do much else & they always play terrible in Missoula. The Griz already beat EWU, the second best team in the Big Sky. That just leaves the Bobcat game, which I feel will go to UM because of superior special teams.

TokyoGriz
October 15th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Montana has a great chance at being undefeated in conference play this year.

But come playoff time how long can it last? Playing just good enough to win might work in a pretty weak Big Sky Conference, but in the playoffs its not going to fly.

Of course our special teams and defense could win all the games for us including the NC! Who needs offense? xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

Grizo406
October 15th, 2007, 05:36 PM
To me, there is NOTHING more fun than a play off game at Washington/Grizzly. The atmosphere/vibe seems to be turned up a notch, and its always been an amazing event! Tons of fun, and lots of laughs, with good friends.

That being said, I'll be happy to see six more Griz games this season!??!xnodx xbawlingx xbawlingx xlolx

Cap'n Cat
October 15th, 2007, 05:57 PM
To me, there is NOTHING more fun than a play off game at Washington/Grizzly. The atmosphere/vibe seems to be turned up a notch, and its always been an amazing event! Tons of fun, and lots of laughs, with good friends.

That being said, I'll be happy to see six more Griz games this season!??!xnodx xbawlingx xbawlingx xlolx

Yeah, but, Grizo, God love ya friend, but, by your own admission, you never leave the state of Montana to check out other places!

Youngstown, GSU, Illinois State, NDSU, even UNI lately, are good places to see games and party.

Here's to a Grizo sighting at an FCS stadium near YOU!!!

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Grizzaholic
October 16th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Am I missing something? Don't we have 2 more home conference games, and if we get a high seed we could get 3 home playoff games. That is 5 if I can count right.

If we go to the chipper do we get a bowl game also????

DuckDuckGriz
October 16th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Am I missing something? Don't we have 2 more home conference games, and if we get a high seed we could get 3 home playoff games. That is 5 if I can count right.

We will be hosting the national championship in Missoula while the one in Chatty is going on because Wash-Griz is the epicenter of FCS. Anyone else who doesn't think so is blasphemous.

Griz0383
October 16th, 2007, 05:49 PM
The question I ask is, Can the Griz win the national championship? I believe it is possible with the amazing play of the defense, but currently the offense is offensive and its not due to a shortage of talent! The O-line is huge, deep and experienced, with a running game that is above average. Receivers are tall, fast, strong and experienced and the QB has shown that he can make plays. I believe the issue is timing which has caused a lack of confidence. Just a thought!

Grizo406
October 16th, 2007, 05:55 PM

My "happy to see six more Griz games this season" was in reference to our remaining schedule, and one playoff game.

Three home playoff games for the Griz? As much as it pains me to say it, it simply won't happen this year.

james_lawfirm
October 16th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Montana is just sleepwalking through our conference of "bad teams". Once the playoffs start they will wake up and play some football. :D

There's an interesting statement! I just hope that ... One day ... during the playoffs ... Montana wakes up ... AND THEY'RE PLAYING IN BOONE!!!!

DrG
October 16th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I second that, except in Amherst!

DrG
October 16th, 2007, 07:08 PM
There's an interesting statement! I just hope that ... One day ... during the playoffs ... Montana wakes up ... AND THEY'RE PLAYING IN BOONE!!!!
I second that, except in Amherst!

drpnut
October 16th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Hey folks,

Montana will not win the NC! Sure they could, but as of now they have shown nothing, absolutely nothing to warrant such a prediction. And although I'm a Socon guy, Montana is the team I pull for when the SoConnys are not in it any longer.

But give us all a break. It is safe to say Montana makes the playoffs, maybe even get a #4 seed, but beyond that who knows?

I truly believe Appy has a better chance of 3-peeting than Montana even making the title game.

Holla

blur2005
October 16th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I'm telling you, Northern Arizona. I see that as the fall game.

D1B
October 16th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Great thread.

GrizBowl
October 17th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Alright, I've held my peace long enough. Among all of the doubt and down-talking of the Griz throughout this forum, too many contributors rely on short-term memories and faulty logic.

To those who say Montana has a "week" schedule, the Montana Kaimin printed an interview with our athletic director last spring which averred the problems we had in setting up this season. Turns out that the only non-Big Sky Conference FCS team willing to play us was App State (they even offered to make the trek to Washington-Grizzly Stadium). Unfortunately, the date that they had free didn't coincide with a week we needed to fill. The only team that has the right to say anything about the Griz are the Mountaineers since they apparently have the only athletic director with the balls to return our phone calls.

Montana has built a reputation and tradition of excellence in football. We have played in 5 of the last 12 national championship games, and even though we have won only 2 of those match-ups, no other team can claim that kind of consistency in performance. Even in our rebuilding seasons, we have done well in the playoffs.

This 2007 team is definitely not the high-octane passing offensive powerhouse led by Craig Ochs in 2004. Instead, it is a more balanced offence complimenting a stellar defense with a coach that excels at making the right adjustments at half-time to win the game. Remember, offense sells tickets, defense wins championships…

It’s not a question of whether Montana will win another ring, it’s a question of what (if any) team has what it takes to take on Griz Nation like UMass did last season. And for all those who disagree, I encourage you to begin brainstorming on how you will try to justify your inaccurate analysis when it ultimately falls apart.

The 2007 championship game belongs to App State & Montana, the best teams in FCS football… (Besides Northern Iowa and NDSU who both deserve a chance at the title)

Pauly LB
October 17th, 2007, 02:37 AM
No way does Montana will it all this year and let me tell you the reason that "NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP" is not possible. Remember, in order to win it all they would actually have to play on the road. That's right Griz fans, not every game would be played in Missoula. We all know that is something that the Griz are not used to doing...

SeattleGriz
October 17th, 2007, 02:47 AM
No way does Montana will it all this year and let me tell you the reason that "NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP" is not possible. Remember, in order to win it all they would actually have to play on the road. That's right Griz fans, not every game would be played in Missoula. We all know that is something that the Griz are not used to doing...

BORING!!! xcoffeex

GrizBowl
October 17th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Zing, another rip on Montana's Schedule. I mean wow, just forget how the juniors and seniors on the team have played in away games before, or how they just won on the road this week. But whatever, opinions are like assholes; everyone has one and nobody likes to listen to others.

Try to act surprised when the Griz win home-field advantage throughout the playoffs and Griz Nation *surprise-surprise* shows up in Chattanooga.

You know, we would have more away games, but it seems that Washington Grizzly Stadium brings in more revenue than any other FCS venue. Regardless, Montana Alums are everywhere, and Griz Nation generally makes a presence at all games- regardless of the location

Green26
October 17th, 2007, 06:20 AM
I'm not going to say Montana is going to win the nat'l championship, and I agree that their offense hasn't looked good in the past 2 or 3 weeks. However, consider the following.

UM's defense is very good, even tho it doesn't feel it has been playing well consistently, and believes it can be better. The defense has given up only 7 TD's in 6 games, the fewest in the nation. UM is 2nd in scoring defense, at about 11 points and behind Prairie View. By comparison, No. Iowa, the next good team in the rankings, has given up 12 TD's.

Before going off on Montana's schedule, consider this. Southern Utah, while winless in an impossible schedule, is a decent team, as they showed against Youngstown last Saturday. Same with Albany. Eastern Washington is a good team, Weber's pretty good and appears to be getting on a roll, and Sac St. isn't horrible (they clobbered NAU, which played App St. credibly). In addition, UM substitutes freely, especially in the second half. So, some of those TD's and points have been scored against 3rd teamers later in the game. In fact, 57 of the 180 points scored against Montana have been in the 4th quarter. Nevertheless, I agree that Montana's schedule has not been as tough as a number of contenders.

Besides a good defense, Montana's kicker and punter are very good, and the special teams are very good. Montana has good returners, but not great ones like they've had in the past.

Montana's offense has alot of good players, and is good or strong at every position. The offense has the same players as last year, with the addition of Hilliard and Quinn and the loss of the qb and 2 centers. Also, Chambers isn't playing. Thus, the offense should be better than last year. For whatever reason, the offense has sputtered in the past few weeks. The coach says it's a number of smaller things and not major things. I guess we'll see if the offense can get out of its funk and get back on track. I think it will.

Purple For Life
October 17th, 2007, 12:37 PM
There's an interesting statement! I just hope that ... One day ... during the playoffs ... Montana wakes up ... AND THEY'RE PLAYING IN CEDAR FALLS!!!!

Fixed it for ya. xthumbsupx

putter
October 17th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Do Griz fans need to continually post our away games of the last few years? Please do your research before you bash us for not playing on the road.

If you don't like us playing at home during the playoffs then get some support in the stands and put in a quality bid to host the games. There will come a day when Montana is not a top 4 seed and will have to travel so if you want us then show the NCAA the $$$$$. I am not saying buying home playoff games is right but that is the system we all have to live with so deal with it.

McNeese75
October 17th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Alright, I've held my peace long enough. Among all of the doubt and down-talking of the Griz throughout this forum, too many contributors rely on short-term memories and faulty logic.

To those who say Montana has a "week" schedule, the Montana Kaimin printed an interview with our athletic director last spring which averred the problems we had in setting up this season. Turns out that the only non-Big Sky Conference FCS team willing to play us was App State (they even offered to make the trek to Washington-Grizzly Stadium). Unfortunately, the date that they had free didn't coincide with a week we needed to fill. The only team that has the right to say anything about the Griz are the Mountaineers since they apparently have the only athletic director with the balls to return our phone calls.

Montana has built a reputation and tradition of excellence in football. We have played in 5 of the last 12 national championship games, and even though we have won only 2 of those match-ups, no other team can claim that kind of consistency in performance. Even in our rebuilding seasons, we have done well in the playoffs.

This 2007 team is definitely not the high-octane passing offensive powerhouse led by Craig Ochs in 2004. Instead, it is a more balanced offence complimenting a stellar defense with a coach that excels at making the right adjustments at half-time to win the game. Remember, offense sells tickets, defense wins championships…

It’s not a question of whether Montana will win another ring, it’s a question of what (if any) team has what it takes to take on Griz Nation like UMass did last season. And for all those who disagree, I encourage you to begin brainstorming on how you will try to justify your inaccurate analysis when it ultimately falls apart.

The 2007 championship game belongs to App State & Montana, the best teams in FCS football… (Besides Northern Iowa and NDSU who both deserve a chance at the title)

Do you any more info on exactly who your AD had called and was turned down by?? And of course I assume he is ONLY calling for home games and no home and home was offered xwhistlex

Otherwise I call BS. xnodx

And the 2007 Championship does NOT belong to the Griz. I previously compared the 2007 Griz team to the 2003 Cowboys and I still stand by that comparison. xcoolx

Appaholic
October 17th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Griz will forfeit this year's NC as it would require them to come to Chatty and they refuse leave Wa/Griz.....rumor is that they've barricaded themselves in Wa/Griz and are thinking about changing their mascot from "Grizzly" to "Freemen".....

Walkon79
October 17th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Raining like crazy in Billings right now, with snow predicted for the weekend. Hope the weather keeps this up for another month! Good luck Sac State

elkmcc
October 17th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Raining like crazy in Billings right now, with snow predicted for the weekend. Hope the weather keeps this up for another month! Good luck Sac State

Maybe I am misunderstanding you but do you seriously think the horrid field conditions 2 weeks ago vs SUU were actually an advantage for the cats? 7-3 against SUU???? Sure don't sound to me like you have much confidence in your team.

Zoo
October 17th, 2007, 05:30 PM

Nice prediction.

But I see Northern Iowa winning it all.

Walkon79
October 17th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Maybe I am misunderstanding you but do you seriously think the horrid field conditions 2 weeks ago vs SUU were actually an advantage for the cats? 7-3 against SUU???? Sure don't sound to me like you have much confidence in your team.

Might keep us in some games until the offense shows up.

elkmcc
October 17th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Might keep us in some games until the offense shows up.

You just might be on to something there. I knew there was something I didn't like about that dang sprinturf .xoopsx

NZNCRZY
October 17th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Do you even know what you are talking about?

DuckDuckGriz
October 17th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Do you even know what you are talking about?

A NorthEndzone-er from Butte, America

xeekx xeekx xeekx

Do not piss this man off.

Welcome to the board, NZNCRZY, and the constant drivel that is east-coast bias :(

GOKATS
October 17th, 2007, 07:27 PM

NDSU is not eligible until next year, which might allay one of your biggest fears.

BTW, the griz won't be in the NC this year anyway. App. St. might be, but at this point I wouldn't put much money there either. Nice to see you could get away from egriz for a couple minutes though.:D