PDA

View Full Version : 2007 FCS at-large eligibility (Week 1)

grizband
October 15th, 2007, 03:08 AM
I have compiled the list of all the FCS teams who are still capable of reaching the 7 Division I game plateau for at-large playoff berths. The teams listed in bold need to win their remaining games to reach the 7 win mark. Remember, this doesn't take into account auto-bids, so a team not listed here may still be eligible for the playoffs. Also, the list is for reference only, and is not meant to predict the possibility of the teams selected. I will update the list each week, for the rest of this season, to give the readers of AGS an idea of who could be awarded the at-large playoff bids.

Big Sky
Montana 3-0 6-0
Northern Arizona 3-1 4-3
Montana State 2-1 4-2
Portland State 2-1 2-4
Eastern Washington 2-2 4-2

Big South
Gardner-Webb 0-0 2-4

CAA
James Madison 4-0 6-1
Delaware 4-1 6-1
Hofstra 3-0 6-0
Massachusetts 3-0 5-1
Richmond 2-1 4-2
Villanova 2-2 4-3
New Hampshire 1-2 4-2
William & Mary 1-2 3-3
Towson 1-4 3-4

Gateway
Northern Iowa 2-0 6-0
Western Illinois 2-0 5-2
Southern Illinois 2-1 6-1
Missouri State 1-2 4-3
Youngstown State 1-1 5-2
Illinois State 1-2 3-4

Great West
Cal Poly 1-0 4-2

Metro Atlantic Athletic
Duquesne 1-0 4-2[/B]

Mid-Eastern Atlantic
Norfolk State 4-0 5-1
Delaware State 4-0 5-1
South Carolina State 3-1 3-3
Hampton 3-2 4-2
Morgan State 3-2 4-3
Florida A&M 1-3 2-4
Bethune-Cookman 0-4 2-4

Northeast
Wagner 3-0 5-1
Central Connecticut State 2-0 4-2
Albany 1-0 3-3

Ohio Valley
Eastern Kentucky 4-0 5-2
Tennessee State 2-0 3-3
Jacksonville State 3-1 4-3
Eastern Illinois 3-1 4-3
Austin Peay 2-2 4-3

Patriot
Fordham 3-0 5-2
Holy Cross 1-0 4-2
Lafayette 1-0 4-2
Colgate 1-1 3-3
Lehigh 0-1 3-3
Bucknell 0-1 2-4

Pioneer
San Diego 3-0 6-0
Dayton 2-1 6-1
Drake 2-1 5-2
Morehead State 2-1 4-2

Southern
Wofford 3-0 6-1
Elon 2-1 4-2
Citadel 2-1 4-2
Chattanooga 2-1 2-4
Appalachian State 1-1 5-1
Georgia Southern 1-2 4-2

Southland
McNeese State 2-0 6-0
Nicholls State 2-0 5-1
Northwestern State 2-1 3-3

Syntax Error
October 15th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Nice!

Tribe4SF
October 15th, 2007, 04:33 AM
W&M record is wrong. They are 2-2....4-3.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Maybe you can put their records against D-I teams, and take out the victories against subD-I teams. For example, San Diego is 6-0 right now; but they are 5-0 against D-I teams.

grizband
October 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Maybe you can put their records against D-I teams, and take out the victories against subD-I teams. For example, San Diego is 6-0 right now; but they are 5-0 against D-I teams.
Thats not a bad idea, maybe Ill try that for next week.

Khan4Cats
October 15th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Good list, I have a couple of discrepancies.

I have Drake, Morehead St, and Missouri State all having to win out to reach 7.

I have Iona being able to only reach a max of 5 D-I wins.

I had Winston-Salem State as eligible this year, I they still in transition?

grizband
October 15th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Good list, I have a couple of discrepancies.

I have Drake, Morehead St, and Missouri State all having to win out to reach 7.

I have Iona being able to only reach a max of 5 D-I wins.

I had Winston-Salem State as eligible this year, I they still in transition?
Drake and Missouri State do need to win out, but Morehead St. can reach 8 DI wins. Iona can only reach 6 DI wins, so you are also correct there. Winston-Salem State is not eligible for the playoffs, so I didn't count their win total. Thank you for notifying me of these errors, I will correct my list.

Khan4Cats
October 15th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Drake and Missouri State do need to win out, but Morehead St. can reach 8 DI wins. Iona can only reach 6 DI wins, so you are also correct there. Winston-Salem State is not eligible for the playoffs, so I didn't count their win total. Thank you for notifying me of these errors, I will correct my list.

Thanks, updated my list as well. Sometimes its hard to keep all of them straight. I'll keep cross-checking with you, though this year sure looks like 8 wins will be the threshold, I've got 41 teams that can still get to 8 with playoff eligibility.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Has anyone noticed the following?

* The Big South is extremely unlikely to take any at-large bids.
* Cal Poly is the only Great West team to have a shot at a postseason berth, and if they don't beat NDSU they won't have a quality win to show the committee.
* The Big Sky has a real chance to be a one-bid conference. If Montana finishes undefeated, they get the autobid and NAU, EWU & MSU (assuming EWU loses to BYU this weekend) could easily not end up with enough D-I wins or quality D-I wins. If Montana loses a couple, they would only sit at 7 D-I wins and also wouldn't have any impressive wins to point to the committee.
* What about the MEAC? If Hampton, Norfolk State and Delaware State all win out (with DSU beating NSU), you'd have Delaware State at 10-1, NSU at 9-2 and Hampton at 9-2 (and Hampton would have a win over Southern Illinois). Could the MEAC actually be potentially looking at 2 at-large bids?
* What about San Diego? They will very likely be 10-0 going into that game in the final weekend against UC-Davis. If they win out, I think they get an at-large. Another thing helping out the Toreros immensely is the overall parity in the Big Sky and the fact that Cal Poly lost to Texas State in week one. If it's between an 11-0 San Diego and an 8-3 Cal Poly, I think San Diego gets the at-large bid.
* The SoCon looks like a lock for one at-large and has a good shot at a second.
* The Southland looks to have one at-large, but if Nicholls State slips in a tough second half stretch they'll be back to zero at-larges.
* The Gateway looks like a 2 at-large bid conference, and the CAA has a real shot at being a 3 at-large bid conference.

Those last three at-large bid spots are going to be awfully interesting.

grizband
October 15th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks, updated my list as well. Sometimes its hard to keep all of them straight. I'll keep cross-checking with you, though this year sure looks like 8 wins will be the threshold, I've got 41 teams that can still get to 8 with playoff eligibility.
I will post this each week for the rest of the season, but would appreciate you cross-checking my list.

appfan2008
October 15th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I saw no Furman on your list!

Does that mean they have no shot at 7 D1 wins?

:):):)

grizband
October 15th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I saw no Furman on your list!

Does that mean they have no shot at 7 D1 wins?

:):):)
Furman can reach 7 DI wins, but it is my understanding that their win over Presbyterian doesn't count towards the playoffs this year.

Ruler 79
October 15th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I am not being a homer but would like true insight. If Albany runs the table and finishes 8-3 (all games are FCS games)do they have a shot?

I personally do not think so. By the same token they have lost to two undefeated ranked playoff teams in Montana and Hofstra. They beat a Fordham team who may win the PL. After that the wins and losses are not substantial, with wins over Stony Brook and a bad Sacred Heart team. The other loss is to a middle of the road Colgate squad.

I am not being a San Diego fan and think we should be but I would like your opinions minus the a$$ kickings that I( know are coming.

danefan
October 16th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I wrote off Albany's shot at an at-large when we lost to Colgate. The win over Fordham is good if Fordham wins the PL. But the win over SBU doesn't help us because Stony Brook got killed by Richmond.

If we were 9-2 with two losses to undefeated Montana and Hofstra, then it would be a different story. And even then, the rest of FCS would have to be in a scramble b/c our league is down this year and that brings the SOS down.