PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't GSU getting any love?...

SuperEagle
September 5th, 2005, 08:19 AM
I've read several posts where people are dissing my Eagles for winning a close game at NU. Just curious why.
Last year did people diss Navy for only beating NU at home by 4? If they did, the Mids probably didn't care as they finished the year ranked in the final AP 1A poll.
Last year did people diss William and Mary for only beating NU 38-35 at home? (3 pt win in OT seems familiar but W and M had NU in their stadium and barely squeaked out a win). Were people ragging W and M's defense for giving up 35 pts to NU? BTW, how did W and M end up? Oh yeah, national semi-finalists.
Last year did people diss New Hampshire for only beating NU by 4? How did New Hampshire end up? Oh yeah, quarterfinal participant.
I guess I should take it as respect. I don't recall other teams getting ragged last year for playing NU close. I don't remember anyone calling out Navy, W & M, New Hampshire, etc. But if my Eagles have a close game against anyone, people want to take it negatively and tell us how over-rated we are.
Now that may be the case. Only time will tell. But if judging by how NU played other great teams last year, I'll happily take a win at their place.
41 is more than 38 and I'll take it and move on.

ChickenMan
September 5th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Any win at N'eastern is a good win. I'd take a one point win at NU anytime... GSU fans should be happy regardless of the score.

Jaxhen
September 5th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Northeastern is a good team and any win at Parsons is an accomplishment. Don't let a few posts get you upset. Most A-10 fans are well aware that it is tough to beat Northeastern, especially at home. At this point, who knows what place Northeastern will finish, but even if it is in the middle of the pack, remember a middle of the pack Maine team beat Miss. State last year. The A-10 has 9 or 10 teams that can beat you if you don't bring your A-game. This is a good win for GSU and a tough loss for Northeastern. Congratulations to both teams for a great effort.

Maroon&White
September 5th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Parson's Field is not a hard place to play at. A hard place to find, yes. A hard place for a bus driver, yes. A hard place to fit the whole team in the locker room, yes. A hard place to play on the field, no.

Does UD really have that much of a problem with NU, especially at Parsons? It's not that hard of a place to play. All the away teams will bring more fans than NU so it will be a home game for them - that can't be an issue. When they had the old turf that could give NU an advantage, but the track is really nice now. Maybe other A10 fans have called it a tough place to play, but I've only noticed UD fans saying it. I guess over history what UMass is to UD, NU is to UMass, an easy win, hopefully in the future that will change.

ChickenMan
September 5th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Parson's Field is not a hard place to play at. A hard place to find, yes. A hard place for a bus driver, yes. A hard place to fit the whole team in the locker room, yes. A hard place to play on the field, no.

Does UD really have that much of a problem with NU, especially at Parsons? It's not that hard of a place to play. All the away teams will bring more fans than NU so it will be a home game for them - that can't be an issue. When they had the old turf that could give NU an advantage, but the track is really nice now. Maybe other A10 fans have called it a tough place to play, but I've only noticed UD fans saying it. I guess over history what UMass is to UD, NU is to UMass, an easy win, hopefully in the future that will change.

The facts say different... N'eastern was 19-4 over the past four seasons at Parsons... ;)

rokamortis
September 5th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Why isn't GSU getting any love?...

It is all about expectations. GSU was expected to roll NU, so when they didn't people lowered GSU in their polls, but I assume most would still consider GSU a top 10 team thus still showing 'love'. Similar thing happened with the Furman / Jacksonville State game - I would assume more than not that people moved Furman down a little and JSU up. I think some of it also has to do with people not liking GSU because they are always on top and looking for a way to move them down.

Don't get too worked up about it since it is only 1 game. As you guys continue to roll people will have no option but to put you at the top. I feel sorry for McNeese though, I bet you guys are going to be fired up and take it out on them.

89Hen
September 5th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Parson's Field is not a hard place to play at.
It is for teams who are used to seeing a lot of fans in the stadium. :p

Hansel
September 5th, 2005, 10:03 AM
didn't drop in my poll, who were those that were expecting GSU to "roll" NU in Boston???

pete4256
September 5th, 2005, 10:03 AM
It is all about expectations. GSU was expected to roll NU, so when they didn't people lowered GSU in their polls, but I assume most would still consider GSU a top 10 team thus still showing 'love'

I still don't think most sane adult fans expected GSU to roll NU. We were all concerned and, except for some of our spoiled fans, we paid heed to the warnings from the Delaware folks.

As we all like to say, "any given saturday."

NU drew up a ball-control, precision offense against us and we kicked to them first (ill-advised). When they got lucky on a couple of big plays early (again, not their bread and butter), I knew we were in trouble. They were able to play with the lead, push us around, hold the ball, and keep our offense on the sideline for long stretches of time. No wonder we almost lost. With our scheme, the above is a recipe for disaster. NU controlled the pace of the game because they made the unexpected big plays and then played with the lead. That's how you beat GSU--play with the lead and run on (or throw high percentage passes on) our under-sized defense. NU never got impatient or panicked (see Citadel 2002), and that's a mark of smart coaching and good execution. If we'd taken the ball first and scored early, making THEM pay from behind, the game may have been different. But that's every game. If we win the toss next week, I bet we'll take the ball.

Gil Dobie
September 5th, 2005, 10:14 AM
My take on the game was that Northeastern was better than expected.
They just might be a team that make a move this year. Playing GSU close has got to be a confidence builder.

th0m
September 5th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Maybe you don't get respect because most people thought (possibly including GSU fans as well) that you'd win big time. That and I think a lot of people expect GSU to win every game anyway.

Cocky
September 5th, 2005, 10:34 AM
You didn't lose any love from me. My top teams are all the same. GSU, like Furman and New Hampshire, played a solid team on the road and won. That not an easy way to start out the season.

I was a little surprised by GSU's defensive speed but the offensive looked very good by the end of the game.

DuckDuckGriz
September 5th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I am sure I can speak for all Griz fans when I say we would have much rather opened with a squeaker over a good A10 team than a blowout of a sub par DII. GSU fans should be satisfied and not be worried about the respect issue right now, it's way too early for that.