PDA

View Full Version : The Concern of Montana

Grizaholic17
October 14th, 2007, 12:42 PM
The past 3 weeks, it seems that Montana has struggled immensely on offense, and occasionally on defense. Although the grizzly defense did a spectacular job yesterday and won the game for us, their inconsistency week in and week out is very concerning. And what is up with the offense? Anybody have any insight of what is going on with the former semifinalists?

But nice job to the over 2,000 members of Griz nation that made their way to Sacramento to see the game.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 14th, 2007, 01:24 PM
The past 3 weeks, it seems that Montana has struggled immensely on offense, and occasionally on defense. Although the grizzly defense did a spectacular job yesterday and won the game for us, their inconsistency week in and week out is very concerning. And what is up with the offense? Anybody have any insight of what is going on with the former semifinalists?

But nice job to the over 2,000 members of Griz nation that made their way to Sacramento to see the game.

After not watching a single girzz game all year, I can see that your biggest problem is that your players are getting attacked by your mascot. xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,300513,00.html

Griz0383
October 14th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I see a boring predictable offense that fails to inspire and does not make any adjustments. Cole does not appear to have the confidence to audible when they stack the box. O-line is getting pushed backwards on run plays. Other than that we are right on course!

AZGrizFan
October 14th, 2007, 01:38 PM
So, maybe BH HASN'T lost the team....maybe they're just average. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I'll say this: Rob Phenecie should have been gone after Griz-Cat `05 when he was like a kid in a video game running the same 4 plays.

As long as we stay in the W column I'm ok with that.

appfan2008
October 14th, 2007, 01:47 PM
It is amazing to me that they can still be undefeated even with so many close calls against so many bad teams

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 01:50 PM
It is amazing to me that they can still be undefeated even with so many close calls against so many bad teams
"So many bad teams"
Eastern Washington is not a bad team.
Neither is Southern Utah who has taken Montana State and Youngstown State to the wire last night (7-3 and 24-23 respectively).

Montana beat Sac State by 14 - last night who blew out Northern Arizona --- a team you are famliar with.

No smack intended: but don't just shoot from the hip.

Fort Lewis now that's a bad team (no struggle there fortunately)

appfan2008
October 14th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I understand but really some of them werent that good others certainly were better but have you played a team that you think will be in the playoffs?...and they were all at home till sac st...

no smack from me either but... i just think app st would be undefeated with that schedule and looked better doing it

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I understand but really some of them werent that good others certainly were better but have you played a team that you think will be in the playoffs?...and they were all at home till sac st...

no smack from me either but... i just think app st would be undefeated with that schedule and looked better doing it

I think that if the Eastern Washington we've seen in the last 2 weeks had started out that way they would absolutely be in the playoffs - Weber has an outside (and longshot) chance, and Southern Utah has basically been in the playoffs playing such good teams and playing all of them very close (except Montana).

You could think that App State would go through the Big Sky with ease - but the Big Sky plays the Griz close every year. Like I said earlier, the only times we have gone through undefeated, we've gone to the national championship game (and last year the semifinals). The Big Sky is not easy if you are Montana and not easy overall - each team is familiar with eachother very well. I'm sure the SoCon is the same way.

appfan2008
October 14th, 2007, 02:06 PM
i am not saying asu would go through the big sky undefeated this year... they could (just as montana can) but not saying they would...

i am just saying they would be undefeated at this point with the same schedule that montana has had!

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 02:09 PM
i am not saying asu would go through the big sky undefeated this year... they could (just as montana can) but not saying they would...

i am just saying they would be undefeated at this point with the same schedule that montana has had!

Fair enough.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

In other words, this is pointless and we'll never know.

FargoBison
October 14th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I think that if the Eastern Washington we've seen in the last 2 weeks had started out that way they would absolutely be in the playoffs - Weber has an outside (and longshot) chance, and Southern Utah has basically been in the playoffs playing such good teams and playing all of them very close (except Montana).

Ok enough of the SUU spin, they got destroyed by SIU, UND, and McNeese. They are 0-6, they are better then their record but still not a good team.

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Ok enough of the SUU spin, they got destroyed by SIU, UND, and McNeese. They are 0-6, they are better then their record but still not a good team.

I think they are better than most FCS teams, I really do. But that doesn't really matter either.

FargoBison
October 14th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I think they are better than most FCS teams, I really do. But that doesn't really matter either.

They have UC Davis at home this week, that game will tell alot about just how good they are.

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 02:20 PM
They have UC Davis at home this week, that game will tell alot about just how good they are.

I think this year is alot like FBS for us.

Until near the end of the season we won't know how good anyone is other than UNI, UMass, NDSU, and McNeese.

Hansel
October 14th, 2007, 02:20 PM

You could think that App State would go through the Big Sky with ease - but the Big Sky plays the Griz close every year. Like I said earlier, the only times we have gone through undefeated, we've gone to the national championship game (and last year the semifinals). The Big Sky is not easy if you are Montana and not easy overall - each team is familiar with eachother very well. I'm sure the SoCon is the same way.

EWU is a above average-good team

SUU 0-6 loses four of those games by 20+ points (3 of those big losses at home)

Weber is 2-4 beating 1-5 Sac St and 0-6 UNC

Albany is 3-3 as a ~mid-major

Sac is 1-5 beating NAU (somebody has to win a game when Big Sky teams play)

and Fort Lewis is 1-5 (beating 0-7 Western St- who Montana has scheduled next year)

Defend it all you want- but UM's schedule this far is beyond weak, but if they continue to win as they have been (no matter how ugly) it isn't going to matter

McNeese72
October 14th, 2007, 02:25 PM
"So many bad teams"
Neither is Southern Utah who has taken Montana State and Youngstown State to the wire last night (7-3 and 24-23 respectively).

Huh? What we saw of Southern Utah was very, very bad! We called off the dogs on them in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

Doc

ursus arctos horribilis
October 14th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I think there are reasons for concern as do most Griz fans...but the thing is this happens to us every year. The two Griz teams from 04 & o6 which were pretty good teams:
UM vs. SHSU L 29-41
UM vs. ISU W 24-22
UM vs. EWU W 31-28
UM vs. PSU L 32-35

Playoffs:
Um vs.Northwestern W 56-7
UM vs. UNH W 47-17
UM vs. SHSU W 34-13
UM vs. JMU L 21-31

UM vs. PSU W26-20
UM vs. NAU W 24-21
UM vs. Weber W 33-30
Um vs. Cal Poly W 10-9
UM vs. MSU W 13-7

Playoffs:
UM vs. McNeese W 31-6
UM vs. SIU W 20-3
UM vs. UMass L 19-17

We seem to struggle in conference a lot and then do better in the playoffs with more convincing wins at that point which is fine with me.

BisonBacker
October 14th, 2007, 02:56 PM

Wow that is xrotatehx at it's best or worst. xcoffeex

appfan2008
October 14th, 2007, 03:02 PM
lets face it whether it matters or not... suu is not a good football team

Mountain Panther
October 14th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Defend it all you want- but UM's schedule this far is beyond weak, but if they continue to win as they have been (no matter how ugly) it isn't going to matter

Yup! Only five more weeks of debating about Montana's strength! xrotatehx

October 20 Northern Colorado
October 27 at Northern Arizona
November 3 Portland State
November 10 at Idaho State
November 17 at Montana State

Screamin_Eagle174
October 14th, 2007, 03:05 PM

I think we have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.... EWU lost by 1 to Montana, in Missoula, and thumped no. 11 MSU yesterday at home in Cheney. We're coming close to having the no.1 offense in the FCS, and our defense is getting better and better. I'd love nothing better than to have App state play us. xthumbsupx xnodx

uofmman1122
October 14th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I think we have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.... EWU lost by 1 to Montana, in Missoula, and thumped no. 11 MSU yesterday at home in Cheney. We're coming close to having the no.1 offense in the FCS, and our defense is getting better and better. I'd love nothing better than to have App state play us. xthumbsupx xnodxWell, since EWU lost to Montana, they are by default not that good. Every other "good" team would beat you by 20 points. xrolleyesx </sarcasm>

blur2005
October 14th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I think NAU could definitely beat Montana next week. That's my upset for the week.

Hansel
October 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Yup! Only five more weeks of debating about Montana's strength! xrotatehx

October 20 Northern Colorado
October 27 at Northern Arizona
November 3 Portland State
November 10 at Idaho State
November 17 at Montana State

cupcakes in bold (4-18 combined record)

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 03:31 PM

There is no such thing as a cupcake when you have a target on your back. Trust me. We won't be blowing out more than one of those teams.

SeattleGriz
October 14th, 2007, 03:33 PM

Dude. You should worry more about the fact that your season is shaping up to be very much like last year. When all is said and done, you will have pounded mediocre teams and not faced ONE playoff bound team all year.

But yet I am sure we will hear how you should be #1 and you would of course kill the real NC.

Need I mention that from the looks of your player participation records, your coach never calls the dogs off and plays the same players over and over. I see the traveling player participation is the same as the home.

blur2005
October 14th, 2007, 03:34 PM
There is no such thing as a cupcake when you have a target on your back. Trust me. We won't be blowing out more than one of those teams.
xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Montana has barely beaten mediocre teams AT HOME. Repeatedly.

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM
xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

We'll take it. And so would you. All that matters is the W-L, and each of those teams brought their A+++ game.

Except Fort Lewis.

blur2005
October 14th, 2007, 03:37 PM
We'll take it. And so would you. All that matters is the W-L, and each of those teams brought their A+++ game.

Except Fort Lewis.
Well, of course I'd take it. But there's a reason I have Montana at number 9 in my top 25 after this Saturday...

SeattleGriz
October 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM
xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

You too dude. Worry more about your own team and how you barely beat Northeasern and Rhode Island these two last weeks with their combined 2-10 records.

uofmman1122
October 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM
xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Montana has barely beaten mediocre teams AT HOME. Repeatedly.EWU could run with the top 10 teams, and beat most of them. I'm glad we got away from them with a W. I would love for them to make the playoffs, provided we don't have to play them again. xlolx

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Well, of course I'd take it. But there's a reason I have Montana at number 9 in my top 25 after this Saturday...

Well you obviously aren't alone. Everyone needs to focus on their own team and then turn their attention on Montana come playoff time. Whether or not we blow out our opponents means nothing. I would much rather Montana not be #1.

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 03:40 PM
EWU could run with the top 10 teams, and beat most of them. I'm glad we got away from them with a W. I would love for them to make the playoffs, provided we don't have to play them again. xlolx

I completely agree. EWU as they are now could light up most teams in the Top 10.

SeattleGriz
October 14th, 2007, 03:40 PM
EWU could run with the top 10 teams, and beat most of them. I'm glad we got away from them with a W. I would love for them to make the playoffs, provided we don't have to play them again. xlolx

No kidding. Especially since they just torched Montana and Montana State the last two weekends. I would put those D's up against any out there and EWU ripped us both apart.

uofmman1122
October 14th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Oh, and just so we're clear, Montana State was ranked 11, so they don't count, either. xrolleyesx

blur2005
October 14th, 2007, 03:43 PM
You too dude. Worry more about your own team and how you barely beat Northeasern and Rhode Island these two last weeks with their combined 2-10 records.

HAHAH, at least both of those games were on the road, not at home in the (supposedly) toughest place to play in FCS football. Moreover, how is a 44-27 win on the road against URI close? Considering you beat a powerful Weber State squad, which I think Northeastern could beat, by eight at home and were close to losing, I'd leave the smack to the smack board.

"Concentrate on my own team" - I do but as a pollster I'm looking at everybody. And you all are kidding yourselves if you think Montana hasn't been a bit suspect this year for a team that is 6-0 and ranked number one in a national poll (somehow).

Screamin_Eagle174
October 14th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Oh, and just so we're clear, Montana State was ranked 11, so they don't count, either. xrolleyesx

keyword being was! xwhistlex

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 03:45 PM
HAHAH, at least both of those games were on the road, not at home in the (supposedly) toughest place to play in FCS football. Moreover, how is a 44-27 win on the road against URI close? Considering you beat a powerful Weber State squad, which I think Northeastern could beat, by eight at home and were close to losing, I'd leave the smack to the smack board.

"Concentrate on my own team" - I do but as a pollster I'm looking at everybody. And you all are kidding yourselves if you think Montana hasn't been a bit suspect this year for a team that is 6-0.

We get it. We know it. We've said it. It's a moot point right now.

SeattleGriz
October 14th, 2007, 03:48 PM

"Concentrate on my own team" - I do but as a pollster I'm looking at everybody. And you all are kidding yourselves if you think Montana hasn't been a bit suspect this year for a team that is 6-0 and ranked number one in a national poll (somehow).

The fact you didn't put that game away until there were 6 minutes left in the 4th qtr, thats how.

Is this the same Northeastern team that lost to 2-5 UC Davis by 28-10? Yeah, they sound tough.

blur2005
October 14th, 2007, 03:52 PM
The fact you didn't put that game away until there were 6 minutes left in the 4th qtr, thats how.

Is this the same Northeastern team that lost to 2-5 UC Davis by 28-10? Yeah, they sound tough.
xdohx I'll repeat: that was on the road. Have fun actually playing on the road for most of your remaining games. Oh, nevermind, you still have two left at home out of five.

AZGrizFan
October 14th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I think NAU could definitely beat Montana next week. That's my upset for the week.

Well then, thank GOD Montana doesn't play NAU for TWO weeks. ;)

blur2005
October 14th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Well then, thank GOD Montana doesn't play NAU for TWO weeks. ;)
Haha, oops. xrotatehx

Forgot about the off week.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 14th, 2007, 04:17 PM

The remaining teams on NDSU's schedule have a combined record of 8-17 so congratulations on you're remaining bakery treats as well. It's really funny how some of the NDSU guys can't see that they are guilty of the things that you try to beat Montana up about. Maybe someday you will have the stature that the Griz have. Until then just sit back and watch and try and learn something.

Reed Rothchild
October 14th, 2007, 04:19 PM
How did this turn into an NDSU conversation? I thought it was about Montana?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 14th, 2007, 04:21 PM
How did this turn into an NDSU conversation? I thought it was about Montana?

That's because you can't talk about Montana without an asshole jumping in to slam us.

uofmman1122
October 14th, 2007, 04:23 PM
How did this turn into an NDSU conversation? I thought it was about Montana?Same way turned into a strength of schedule debate, once again. You can't talk about Montana without someone chiming in about how bad we really are, and how we don't deserve anything. It should be a law of nature on this board. xlolx

ChickenMan
October 14th, 2007, 04:27 PM

Probably only CAA fans understand this.. but beating Northeastern at Parson Field (their home field).. which is what JMU did, is an entirely different matter and MUCH more difficult than beating Northeastern outside of Boston.

PS.. in '03 when UD went 15-1 and totally dominated the I-AA playoffs.. UD's one loss was to Northeastern at Parson Field.

blur2005
October 14th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Same way turned into a strength of schedule debate, once again. You can't talk about Montana without someone chiming in about how bad we really are, and how we don't deserve anything. It should be a law of nature on this board. xlolx
Seems reasonable to me. xlolx

blur2005
October 14th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Probably only CAA fans understand this.. but beating Northeastern at Parson Field (their home field).. which is what JMU did, is an entirely different matter and MUCH more difficult than beating Northeastern outside of Boston.

PS.. in '03 when UD went 15-1 and totally dominated the I-AA playoffs.. UD's one loss was to Northeastern at Parson Field.
Yeah, maybe Parson Field is the toughest place to play in FCS. The only wins Northeastern seems to ever get are at home.

kalm
October 14th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Dear Haters,xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

We're sorry for being competitive, occassionally knocking off #1 seeds in the playoffs on the road, and placing a target on Montana's back every week. Oh, and Montana says that they would like to apologize for winning.

Toodles,

The BSC

uofmman1122
October 14th, 2007, 04:31 PM

We're sorry for being competitive, occassionally knocking off #1 seeds in the playoffs on the road, and placing a target on Montana's back every week. Oh, and Montana says that they would like to apologize for winning.

Toodles,

The BSC

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 04:32 PM

That right there is the point we are trying to make. It is easy to watch two conference opponents from the outside and say (they are a cupcake blow them out blah blah blah) but there are so many other factors that many outsiders don't know.

blur2005
October 14th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Toodles,

The BSC
We'll continue to hate, thank you. :D

Peems
October 14th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I think there are reasons for concern as do most Griz fans...but the thing is this happens to us every year. The two Griz teams from 04 & o6 which were pretty good teams:
UM vs. SHSU L 29-41
UM vs. ISU W 24-22
UM vs. EWU W 31-28
UM vs. PSU L 32-35

Playoffs:
Um vs.Northwestern W 56-7
UM vs. UNH W 47-17
UM vs. SHSU W 34-13
UM vs. JMU L 21-31

UM vs. PSU W26-20
UM vs. NAU W 24-21
UM vs. Weber W 33-30
Um vs. Cal Poly W 10-9
UM vs. MSU W 13-7

Playoffs:
UM vs. McNeese W 31-6
UM vs. SIU W 20-3
UM vs. UMass L 19-17

We seem to struggle in conference a lot and then do better in the playoffs with more convincing wins at that point which is fine with me.

The difference with those games versus this year, is that the offense showed life. If anything in those losses the Griz were just outmanned and beaten by a better team. I will say with confidence that the Griz have better players than Sac. St and many other "lower level" BSC teams and not to be able to generate over 100 yards of offense in either the passing or running game is cause for concern. I'm not exactly worried about close games(i.e. the EWU game, I mean we moved the ball against them pretty easily in the first half and that first drive against the Eagles we looked great) What I'm worried about is how the Griz look not even close to a good team against a team in Sac. St which has only won one game, and that is when NAU's best player was out. The Griz offense has some work to do, and if they can improve so will the D since they won't have to be out there so damn much. All that being said the Griz have the capabilities of being a great team, but for the time being they should not be in the top 5 at all. Their is concern in Griz country and if we struggle against UNC. God help mexsmhxxbawlingx

Mike Johnson
October 14th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I think this year is alot like FBS for us.

Until near the end of the season we won't know how good anyone is other than UNI, UMass, NDSU, and McNeese.

Of course, three of these teams will have played Southern Utah.

TokyoGriz
October 14th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I see a boring predictable offense that fails to inspire and does not make any adjustments. Cole does not appear to have the confidence to audible when they stack the box. O-line is getting pushed backwards on run plays. Other than that we are right on course!

Exactly. If the Northern Colorado game is within 3 points then someone needs fired from the coaching staff.

montanafan
October 14th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Hey Blur2005. Do us all a favor and make the playoffs. Nothing would make us happier than to have you come to our house (all home games in playoffs for our #1 seed) and show you a thing or two about how bad we are. Talk is cheap and you sound like two bits short of a nickel.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

blur2005
October 14th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Hey Blur2005. Do us all a favor and make the playoffs. Nothing would make us happier than to have you come to our house (all home games in playoffs for our #1 seed) and show you a thing or two about how bad we are. Talk is cheap and you sound like two bits short of a nickel.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx
If you're going to talk smack on the discussion board, remember recent history - as in the only time Montana and JMU have played each other. My memory is fuzzy but I do believe we won that game - and the national championship. I'd love for the Dukes to go out to Missoula and disprove the theory of homefield advantage.

Montana won't get the number 1 seed but yeah, they'll get a seed.

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 05:02 PM
If you're going to talk smack on the discussion board, remember recent history - as in the only time Montana and JMU have played each other. My memory is fuzzy but I do believe we won that game - and the national championship.

That was a great game and comeback by JMU. It would not have happened in Missoula, but I'm not sure the Griz would have done so well in Harrisburg.

Mike Johnson
October 14th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Huh? What we saw of Southern Utah was very, very bad! We called off the dogs on them in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

Doc

They've looked pretty good the past two weeks. Maybe the schooling you gave them was taken to heart.

FargoBison
October 14th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Dude. You should worry more about the fact that your season is shaping up to be very much like last year. When all is said and done, you will have pounded mediocre teams and not faced ONE playoff bound team all year.

But yet I am sure we will hear how you should be #1 and you would of course kill the real NC.

Need I mention that from the looks of your player participation records, your coach never calls the dogs off and plays the same players over and over. I see the traveling player participation is the same as the home.

Neither Hansel or any other Bison fan advocated we should be #1 last year and nobody thought we would kill the real NC and nobody will do so this year. That is just foolish and completely wrong.

Looking at our schedule....NDSU played 2 FBS teams of course they would just be mediocore FCS teams to Griz fans. Cal Poly and WIU could also very well make the playoffs this year so I don't understand where this NDSU won't play a playoff team is based on. As for player participation everyone played against MVSU last game, our starting RB played a quarter and QB didn't even play a full half. Bohl doesn't run the score up, never has and never will.

montanafan
October 14th, 2007, 05:08 PM
If you're going to talk smack on the discussion board, remember recent history - as in the only time Montana and JMU have played each other. My memory is fuzzy but I do believe we won that game - and the national championship. I'd love for the Dukes to go out to Missoula and disprove the theory of homefield advantage.

Good Call. That was a great game by JMU and I will give you that. How about a rematch :D

ChickenMan
October 14th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I'd love for the Dukes to go out to Missoula and disprove the theory of homefield advantage.

No need.. UD and UMass have already done that... ;)

ursus arctos horribilis
October 14th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Yeah and there were a couple of others too. UNH, Hofstra, Maine, Richmond....

appfan2008
October 14th, 2007, 05:27 PM
if montana can make it to 9-2 they will be a seed... seeding IMO has a lot more to do with how many butts you can get in the stadium than how good your team is... a good team gets you in the playoffs... lots of people get you home games

Peems
October 14th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Every remaining game besides Northern Colorado, the Griz could realistically lose. @ Idaho State has never ever been a friend of the Griz and ISU always seems to be able to move on their artificial turf. @ NAU will not be good either since they have a mobile QB in Kriesen and a pretty decent Offense. Portland St. @ home could be trouble with Brian White leading the nation in passing yards and the Run N' Shoot finally getting it's act together. The Griz will have to score points against all of these teams if they want to win, and of course the last game of the year is a game that goes either way, luckily the cats offensive success is about as great as the Grizzlies.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 14th, 2007, 05:33 PM
The difference with those games versus this year, is that the offense showed life. If anything in those losses the Griz were just outmanned and beaten by a better team. I will say with confidence that the Griz have better players than Sac. St and many other "lower level" BSC teams and not to be able to generate over 100 yards of offense in either the passing or running game is cause for concern. I'm not exactly worried about close games(i.e. the EWU game, I mean we moved the ball against them pretty easily in the first half and that first drive against the Eagles we looked great) What I'm worried about is how the Griz look not even close to a good team against a team in Sac. St which has only won one game, and that is when NAU's best player was out. The Griz offense has some work to do, and if they can improve so will the D since they won't have to be out there so damn much. All that being said the Griz have the capabilities of being a great team, but for the time being they should not be in the top 5 at all. Their is concern in Griz country and if we struggle against UNC. God help mexsmhxxbawlingx

Yeah I am in agreement with you as I said there are reasons to be concerned but we have been in this position before. We've cleaned things up before after having a sloppy conference season. After playing UNC in 04' I remember thinking the same thing as they out gained us passing, rushing, first downs, & time of possession. They had over 500 yds. of offense on us. So I'm hoping things start to gel a little here in the near future.

Peems
October 14th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah I am in agreement with you as I said there are reasons to be concerned but we have been in this position before. We've cleaned things up before after having a sloppy conference season. After playing UNC in 04' I remember thinking the same thing as they out gained us passing, rushing, first downs, & time of possession. They had over 500 yds. of offense on us. So I'm hoping things start to gel a little here in the near future.

Good points. We definitely need to get things turned around soon, as the toughest part of our schedule lies ahead. Also of note, UNC did have future NFL WR Vincent Jackson on their team that day, he was a stud.xnodx

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Good points. We definitely need to get things turned around soon, as the toughest part of our schedule lies ahead. Also of note, UNC did have future NFL WR Vincent Jackson on their team that day, he was a stud.xnodx

Among the top 5 best athletes I've ever seen at Wash-Grizxbowx

Saint3333
October 14th, 2007, 05:53 PM
if montana can make it to 9-2 they will be a seed... seeding IMO has a lot more to do with how many butts you can get in the stadium than how good your team is... a good team gets you in the playoffs... lots of people get you home games

No one with a 9-2 record will get a seed with all the quality zero and one loss teams to date.

If Montana is 9-2 they should be ashamed.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 14th, 2007, 05:56 PM

Yeah and he was worth about 1/2 of their yardage.

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 09:07 PM
No one with a 9-2 record will get a seed with all the quality zero and one loss teams to date.

I don't know what 9-2 team would ever be ashamed. xconfusedx

Especially after going through the dogfight week in and week out that is the Big Sky.

mvemjsunpx
October 14th, 2007, 10:08 PM

Is that why Montana failed to get a top-4 seed for 4 straight years (2002-05)? They were 10-2 in 2002 & 9-2 in 2004.

Griz0383
October 14th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I feel honored by all this attention from the nation! Thank you! Who cares if we have less yards as long we have more points in the end.

MTGrizzFan
October 14th, 2007, 10:14 PM

Disappointed maybe but ashamed? That's one of the stupidest things I've heard in a long time.

AZGrizFan
October 14th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Yeah and there were a couple of others too. UNH, Hofstra, Maine, Richmond....

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

The only one of those four teams that have won in Missoula is Hofstra, and that was 7 years ago.

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 10:19 PM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

The only one of those four teams that have won in Missoula is Hofstra, and that was 7 years ago.

I think he meant ones that have played in Wash-Griz.

AZGrizFan
October 14th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I think he meant ones that have played in Wash-Griz.

But the comment he was responding to was directly related to the teams that have come into Wa/Griz and won. i.e., Delaware & UMass.

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 10:23 PM
But the comment he was responding to was directly related to the teams that have come into Wa/Griz and won. i.e., Delaware & UMass.

I know but I think he was pointing out more teams who have played there (and lost) as a rebuttle.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 14th, 2007, 10:35 PM

I was responding as to the other CAA teams that have not done so well at WAGriz from their vaunted conference. Hofstra lost at WAGriz in 04 as did Maine in back to back weekends and we went to their houses and beat them there in 02 & 03 respectively. I was just letting them know that it doesn't happen often that their conference comes in and teaches us a lesson. That's why I posted the 4 teams that have lost there.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 14th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I know but I think he was pointing out more teams who have played there (and lost) as a rebuttle.

Bingo. Come on AZ, you know I'm not gonna load their guns for em'.

HensRock
October 14th, 2007, 10:47 PM
I beleive Hofstra has also won at WGS.

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I beleive Hofstra has also won at WGS.

Hofstra is 1-2 in Missoula and we are 1-0 at Hofstra.

So there.

:p

Tod
October 14th, 2007, 10:59 PM

I'm in total agreement with you and Peems. :(

You could say the same thing about yesterday's Sac State game, except they didn't have 500 yards of offense.

They did, however, have twice as many offensive yards as the Griz (exactly twice as many yards).

We'd better play to our potential, or we're going to see another 2005 season, at best.

xsmhx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 14th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Hofstra is 1-2 in Missoula and we are 1-0 at Hofstra.

So there.

:p

We've lost 3 games to the CAA in WAGriz by a total of 4 friggin' points. It's quite maddening.

Grizaholic17
October 15th, 2007, 12:06 AM

You do not know what you are talking about here. PSU is not a cupcake team mister. You can't be throwing that word around if you don't know what you're talking about. Winning is not the only thing...how well you play each team and how close those games are takes effect too.

Grizaholic17
October 15th, 2007, 12:13 AM
So, pretty much, Montana is right on course from years past. I never think about it the way alot of you do. I think it is especially worse this year though. But, Montana always comes out winning in the end...it is our naturexlolx
xcoffeex

AZGrizFan
October 15th, 2007, 12:16 AM
I don't know what 9-2 team would ever be ashamed. xconfusedx

Especially after going through the dogfight week in and week out that is the Big Sky.

You do not know what you are talking about here. PSU is not a cupcake team mister. You can't be throwing that word around if you don't know what you're talking about. Winning is not the only thing...how well you play each team and how close those games are takes effect too.

Come on, guys. You know the BSC is just Montana and a bunch of UTC's. Patsies all around. If Montana plays so crappy against the pussies in the BSC, they'll get rolled by ANYBODY of note outside the conference. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

pantherfan
October 15th, 2007, 12:18 AM
So, pretty much, Montana is right on course from years past. I never think about it the way alot of you do. I think it is especially worse this year though. But, Montana always comes out winning in the end...it is our naturexlolx
xcoffeex

The Griz haven't been very impressive this season, but I'm convinced UNI has to go 11-0 to avoid a trip there in the first two rounds of the playoffs. We could go in there 10-1 and get beat 35-0 as tough as WaGriz is to win in...xbowx

Grizaholic17
October 15th, 2007, 12:20 AM
The Griz haven't been very impressive this season, but I'm convinced UNI has to go 11-0 to avoid a trip there in the first two rounds of the playoffs. We could go in there 10-1 and get beat 35-0 as tough as WaGriz is to win in...xbowx

Well, if all else fails, you can resort to what Sac State did a couple years ago and spray pam on your jerseys. That seemed to work...kinda.

AZGrizFan
October 15th, 2007, 12:22 AM

I'd be bettin' that that game would be at the fabulous UNI dome, given the current circumstances..... xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

Grizaholic17
October 15th, 2007, 12:24 AM
I'd be bettin' that that game would be at the fabulous UNI dome, given the current circumstances..... xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

AZ, you are so grim as of late (with just cause). But remember that we are undefeated still. We'll pull it together.

WyomingGrizFan
October 15th, 2007, 12:32 AM

I guess; that is of course, if you still play the game like #65 Corey Davis, a starting OL for your JMU at the time during that game.
Slapping away at helmets with closed fists and gouging throats of the oposing DL all game, picking up LB Shane McIntyre from the backside around his waist and slamming him into the turf resulting in a shoulder operation. Of course, I would have thrown him out of the game in the first half, as unbiased as I can still consider it.

This, probably more than anything, instigated retaliatory actions, regrettably, by one of our DTs Kerry Mullan against the QB for JMU; both actions, of which I abhore, then, as well as now.

Not that I condone such unsportsmanship. The 'game' and the 'rules' go hand-in-hand. Without the rules there is no game.

Granted, many may say JMU earned that victory, but it was so full of 'what-ifs' it's ridiculous. What if Jon Talmage doesn't drop the pass in the endzone, the first pass I've seen him do in three years; up to then. Two botched field goal attempts resulting in 'nothing.' Justin Green having but three rushing attempts in the whole game; now on the Baltimore Ravens roster. Mullan's personal foul that allowed JMU to score another TD, etc. etc. etc.

Yeah, keep on hating, for what good it will eventually do ya. As long as you win regardless of the cost, huh?
And I still vouch for my opinion upon chop blocks as well. Interesting what the most highly educated nation in the history of the world argues about.

AZGrizFan
October 15th, 2007, 12:42 AM
AZ, you are so grim as of late (with just cause). But remember that we are undefeated still. We'll pull it together.

Yes, I am officially grim. I've been an ardent supporter up to this last week, but THIS was the week we were supposed to blow the doors off somebody. And 173 yards of offense will LOSE to NAU, MSU, and PSU. Guaranteed. So, unless Sac State suddenly developed an all-world defense, we have got MAJOR problems that need to be worked out....

If we don't blow out UNC, I'll no longer be grim, I'll be the reaper. UNC had 560 yard put up on them by USD, 507 by NAU, 612 xeekx by Cal Poly, 478 by ISU, 479 by D-II Chadron State, and 393 by Weber. Now we get them at HOME. There is no plausible, explainable reason why Montana shouldn't put up well over 400 yards against THAT defense. Yet, I'll predict about 320....or less. Oh, we'll win the game, and maybe even in a "blowout" like 30-7, or something like that, but I'm bettin' there'll be at least one defensive touchdown, and a lot of short fields to work with.

In fact, I will be the first to go on record, right now, and say that if we continue playing like we're playing, Montana will enter Flagstaff with a gaudy 7-0 record, lose to the Lumberjokes, and go into a tailspin from that point, losing the next weekend to PSU, beating ISU, then losing to the Bobcats. The Griz will end with a 8-3 record, 3 conference losses, no BSC title, and I'm beginning to believe this may be the first year in 15 years Montana does NOT go to the playoffs.

I have just one question: HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN WITH 19 RETURNING STARTERS FROM LAST YEARS 12-2 TEAM????? I mean, we got Lex back, everybody was returning except the QB, and it wasn't supposed to matter, right? And yet, our offense is so anemic (with a pourous O-line that was supposed to be our strong point) and the defense is so suspect that we look like a team in rebuilding mode.

And the "yeah, but we're winning our games and we're 6-0" approach may have worked up til now, but the ***** is about to hit the fan. I'm bringing 44 people up to Flagstaff, and it's not lookin' pretty at this point....

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Green26
October 15th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Montana's biggest problem is some of its fans, in my view. Too demanding and unrealistic. Too many chicken littles. Too little knowledge of the game. Too many who yell stupid stuff at games, or boo on occasion. This is not directed at any who posted in this thread, as I merely glanced at the flavor of some of what was said in this thread, and don't know who any of the posters are and what they know. This is merely a general comment, and directed more at some of the supposed fans in Montana.

The coach said on his Sunday night tv program that the coaches need to fix some things on the offense--not big things, just a number of small things. He didn't appear to be overly concerned, but then he doesn't tend to show his cards either.

AZGrizFan
October 15th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Montana's biggest problem is some of its fans, in my view. Too demanding and unrealistic. Too many chicken littles. Too little knowledge of the game. Too many who yell stupid stuff at games, or boo on occasion. This is not directed at any who posted in this thread, as I merely glanced at the flavor of some of what was said in this thread, and don't know who any of the posters are and what they know. This is merely a general comment, and directed more at some of the supposed fans in Montana.

The coach said on his Sunday night tv program that the coaches need to fix some things on the offense--not big things, just a number of small things. He didn't appear to be overly concerned, but then he doesn't tend to show his cards either.

That's ****** insane. Is it too demanding to expect more than 200 yards of offense? Is it too demanding to expect to score more than 10 offensive points against Sacramento State? Or to actually put a team away instead of having games constantly in question until the final gun? IF this was supposed to be a rebuilding year, then fine. But it wasn't. We're supposed to be a national title contender, and we're playing like a pretender. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

JALMOND
October 15th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Hard to be a pretender at this stage of the game when you are undefeated. With all the upsets going around, to be undefeated is a pretty darn good accomplishment. It is a pretty safe bet to assume that a team will lose at least one conference game during the season, no matter how good that team is or how their fans think their team is (or what conference that team plays in). Margin of victory works well at the beginning, but a W is all that matters. 11-0 with a combined margin of victory of 14 points looks a lot better than 0-11 with the same margin of loss.

As far as this conversation, it is going downhill quickly. You will not win an argument with someone who thinks a team 2-1 in the Big Sky is a cupcake, the Griz should blow out everyone, including the former #12 team in the country, and Southern Utah is a terrible team unless they barely lose to Youngstown (must be a fluke as the T-Birds lost to that lowly BSC team Montana State by 4). These people are the same ones who somehow rationally think Yale could contend for the Big Sky conference title this year. Pretty danged difficult to talk sense with them.

Grizfanatic
October 15th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Ya know what makes me sick is that there are still people walking around with their heads in the clouds spouting off that "Hey we are still undefeated"... Upto this point this Griz team is lucky to be undefeated, dare I say it is a fluke we are unbeaten?
I could deal with the close win over weber and the win over EWU but being beaten by SacState in everything but score? Come on people this team is built around 19 returning starters from a team that went 12-2 and made the semis last season, we should have flat out walked over Sac, not limped out lucky to still be undefeated...
I wonder what all these "Hey we are still undefeated" people will say if we dont make the playoffs or get bumped out in the first round whether at home or on the road?
Whats wrong with this team? Lack of FIRE! Lack of focus and lack of utilization of the weapons we have... but I would say that lack of fire is a big one... last years team played with heart, passion and fire! This years team seams limp by comparison..

Just my 2 cents...

Peace!

JALMOND
October 15th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Ya know what makes me sick is that there are still people walking around with their heads in the clouds spouting off that "Hey we are still undefeated"... Upto this point this Griz team is lucky to be undefeated, dare I say it is a fluke we are unbeaten?
I could deal with the close win over weber and the win over EWU but being beaten by SacState in everything but score? Come on people this team is built around 19 returning starters from a team that went 12-2 and made the semis last season, we should have flat out walked over Sac, not limped out lucky to still be undefeated...
I wonder what all these "Hey we are still undefeated" people will say if we dont make the playoffs or get bumped out in the first round whether at home or on the road?
Whats wrong with this team? Lack of FIRE! Lack of focus and lack of utilization of the weapons we have... but I would say that lack of fire is a big one... last years team played with heart, passion and fire! This years team seams limp by comparison..

Just my 2 cents...

Peace!

Maybe so, but I don't think you are giving credit to Sac State. What I saw when the Hornets played here was a different team than usual. This is not the same pushover that a lot of us took for granted for so many years. The Griz game was their second home game of the year. The first game they took NAU to the woodshed. Anyone could see that, even though Sac State was 0-12 (something like that) against the Griz, this game was going to be anything but easy. I don't know what your definition of a blowout is, but I can say that I will be surprised if anyone beats the Hornets by 3 touchdowns or more the rest of this year.

You know how tough it is to win on the road in the Big Sky. Be happy that your first conference road game was a win.

TokyoGriz
October 15th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Maybe so, but I don't think you are giving credit to Sac State. What I saw when the Hornets played here was a different team than usual. This is not the same pushover that a lot of us took for granted for so many years. The Griz game was their second home game of the year. The first game they took NAU to the woodshed. Anyone could see that, even though Sac State was 0-12 (something like that) against the Griz, this game was going to be anything but easy. I don't know what your definition of a blowout is, but I can say that I will be surprised if anyone beats the Hornets by 3 touchdowns or more the rest of this year.

You know how tough it is to win on the road in the Big Sky. Be happy that your first conference road game was a win.

Right.....

Lets see how many times this year have we heard about our opponents.."They brought their A-Game", "They consider us their super bowl game", "They are really blah..blah..blah...".

Thats all a load of exscuses for poor play and you know it. xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

Fact is we havent bought our "A-Game" to any of the games Montana has played this year. Stomping a div 2 team did not take our "A-Game".

Sac state defense really really is not that great. Its not the worst in FCS but its down there. And we got stuffed by them period. xnonono2x

Griz Offense- Third down conversions 3 for 14? 4 turnovers? 174 yards of total offense?

The blame lays with the coaches first. They arent preparing the team well, loads of missed block asignments, and play calling that even head coach BH aknowledged that our opponents knew what we were going to do before the team even lined up. xsmhx xsmhx

TokyoGriz
October 15th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Just wanted to post on a positive note.

If they Griz can get this offense working like its capable of, even if the QB is only average, we can go all the way. :)

mlbowl
October 15th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Good God CM.....are you seriously bringing up the 1 point drubbing from 15 years ago........again?xrolleyesx

ChickenMan
October 15th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Good God CM.....are you seriously bringing up the 1 point drubbing from 15 years ago........again?xrolleyesx

Of course... it's the one point ass-whipping that will never die.... :p

mlbowl
October 15th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Of course... it's the one point ass-whipping that will never die.... :p

side note....It was a great game!xnodx

Green26
October 15th, 2007, 09:28 AM
This comment is pretty funny: "Whats wrong with this team? Lack of FIRE! Lack of focus and lack of utilization of the weapons we have... but I would say that lack of fire is a big one... last years team played with heart, passion and fire! This years team seams limp by comparison."

This year's team has big heart and plays very hard. That's one of its hallmarks. The team has shown it can win close games, having come from behind to win 2 of the last 3 games and overcome 2 games with low offensive production. These are signs of a good team and a champion. It remains to be seen how good this team is and how far it will go, but it's off to a very good start. Hopefully, it will be able to get its O going again.

Here's another funny comment: "The blame lays with the coaches first. They arent preparing the team well, loads of missed block asignments,"
Blaming the coaches for lots of missed blocking assignments? I wonder how the coaches teach and prepare the playes to miss blocking assignments.

Small correction in an above post. UM was 6-18 on 3rd down conversions.

Ronin
October 15th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Bingo

Houndawg
October 15th, 2007, 09:40 AM

I don't remember Southern Utah playing SIU very close.xconfusedx

Houndawg
October 15th, 2007, 09:56 AM

No need to be defensive, keeping the schedule on the soft side and counting on the auto bid is a legitimate strategy. Should give you fresher legs when the tough games start.

Green26
October 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM
The autobid comes from being conference champion. There is no control over who you play in the conference. If UM gets into the playoffs, they get a first round home game under the playoff system started in 2001, which essentially gives first round games to the highest bidders (as well as the top 4 seeds). Beyond making the playoffs, UM's goal is to be seeded, and thus be assured of additional home games. While playoff seeding may be one factor in non-conference scheduling, other factors are more important.

TokyoGriz
October 15th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Here's another funny comment: "The blame lays with the coaches first. They arent preparing the team well, loads of missed block asignments,"
Blaming the coaches for lots of missed blocking assignments? I wonder how the coaches teach and prepare the playes to miss blocking assignments.

Small correction in an above post. UM was 6-18 on 3rd down conversions.

1. sorry wrong numbers on 3rd downs. But yes 4 out of 14 or 6 out of 18 is an increase of 1 out of 3.5 vs. 1 out of 3 attempts.

2. Coaches work with the players on their work outs to get the blocking assignments down right. Rotating players around so much on the offensive line might be adding to the mess atm as well. So YES it does involve the Coaches, and of course the offensive linemen.

If the coaches see this kind of sloppy performance for 3 weeks in a row, a large percentage of the blame does rest with them. They get paid to help the kids improve.

putter
October 15th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Bingo

God I hope MSU and EWU make the playoffs so the "bad" teams can whoop up on somebody. Funny how none of you have seen these teams play yet lump them together at bad. xsmhx

FCS Go!
October 15th, 2007, 10:33 AM
No need to be defensive, keeping the schedule on the soft side and counting on the auto bid is a legitimate strategy. Should give you fresher legs when the tough games start.

Probable favorite excuse for Montana playoff wins (xprayx ) highlighted above.

DuckDuckGriz
October 15th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Bingo

Wow way to skip through and really contribute to the thread there, Ronin. xrolleyesx

Griz0383
October 15th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Chickman, you crazy! Last years games may be some what relevant but games from 1993? WHAT! Back then everyone hated Marshall and Montana was this little school out west that scored points, played “soft defense” and nobody took serious. WGS was starting to be a tough place to play but not a legend! It wasn't even close to hallowed grounds as it is today. Ya might consider down grading the significance of UD’s win a tad bit.

DuckDuckGriz
October 15th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Chickman, you crazy! Last years games may be some what relevant but games from 1993? WHAT! Back then everyone hated Marshall and Montana was this little school out west that scored points, played “soft defense” and nobody took serious. WGS was starting to be a tough place to play but not a legend! It wasn't even close to hallowed grounds as it is today. Ya might consider down grading the significance of UD’s win a tad bit.

I gotta say though that the 1993 Griz team would have gone to the national championship if not for Delaware. That team was GOOD and IMO even somewhat better than the `95 team. Tubby Raymond's Wing T was a tad confusing to us - the Don Read five wide & screen was a tad confusing to them - the only difference was a missed extra point xoopsx

That game would probably still be going today if not for that.

ChickenMan
October 15th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Chickman, you crazy!

Ya might consider down grading the significance of UD’s win a tad bit.

Let me think... xchinscratchx

after a lot of thought... negative on the down grade... :D

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I gotta say though that the 1993 Griz team would have gone to the national championship if not for Delaware. That team was GOOD and IMO even somewhat better than the `95 team. Tubby Raymond's Wing T was a tad confusing to us - the Don Read five wide & screen was a tad confusing to them - the only difference was a missed extra point xoopsx

I completely agree with you that Delaware's O was confusing as I had a good friend that played on the D line in 93 and he said that in the first half of that game their O line was actually pushing our D line INTO the holes that they were running through and that is completely the opposite of what you expect so they were thinking they were handling Delaware's O line when they were just doing a lot of the work themselves (our D line), in the second half Delaware came out and did what O lines normally do and pushed them out of the holes completely changing their tactics. That Tubby was one smart feller. I disagree with you on the 93 being better than 95 though as the difference was out defense was much better in 1995. 1993 was special because we had never had God qbing the offense before so it was new to us.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Let me think... xchinscratchx

after a lot of thought... negative on the down grade... :D

In spite of the negative on the downgrade what he says is true we were just a fledgling program without much history at that point.

AZGrizFan
October 15th, 2007, 11:34 AM

I completely agree with you that Delaware's O was confusing as I had a good friend that played on the D line in 93 and he said that in the first half of that game their O line was actually pushing our D line INTO the holes that they were running through and that is completely the opposite of what you expect so they were thinking they were handling Delaware's O line when they were just doing a lot of the work themselves (our D line), in the second half Delaware came out and did what O lines normally do and pushed them out of the holes completely changing their tactics. That Tubby was one smart feller. I disagree with you on the 93 being better than 95 though as the difference was out defense was much better in 1995. 1993 was special because we had never had God qbing the offense before so it was new to us.

OK boys, back to reality and 2007.

DD is NOT going to come in on his white horse and save THIS team. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2007, 11:41 AM

DD is NOT going to come in on his white horse and save THIS team. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

I know but I still have my memories.....

uofmman1122
October 15th, 2007, 11:46 AM

DD is NOT going to come in on his white horse and save THIS team. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolxRight now, I'd probably expect to see him on a mule, instead.....that's right.....I went there. xlolx

AZGrizFan
October 15th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Right now, I'd probably expect to see him on a mule, instead.....that's right.....I went there. xlolx

If that mule can play an O-line position, bring him on. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

mlbowl
October 15th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Save them from what......winning? While I agree we have some problems, the team keeps on finding ways to win.

grayghost06
October 15th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Is that why Montana failed to get a top-4 seed for 4 straight years (2002-05)? They were 10-2 in 2002 & 9-2 in 2004.

The seeding only matters in that you are guaranteed two home games ( three if you are the higher seeded team making the semis). With upsets in 2004, Montana wound up playing all three of their playoff games @ home. Even when they are not seeded, the sun still shines on them.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
October 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I'm just curious as I wasn't reading these threads back in the day...did all the other conferences talk this much smack about the Griz during the years we won the Championship?

Casey_Orourke
October 15th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I'm just curious as I wasn't reading these threads back in the day...did all the other conferences talk this much smack about the Griz during the years we won the Championship?

That is very possible, but this is the first time in recent memories I have seen so many Griz fans express any sort of worry about a less than stellar season......and in the immortal words of Bill Clinton......

I FEEL YOUR PAIN

AZGrizFan
October 15th, 2007, 04:14 PM
The seeding only matters in that you are guaranteed two home games ( three if you are the higher seeded team making the semis). With upsets in 2004, Montana wound up playing all three of their playoff games @ home. Even when they are not seeded, the sun still shines on them.

And don't you forget it.

At Montana, we're better than you, and we KNOW IT!!! :D :D :D (spoken in my best White Goodman voice)....

AZGrizFan
October 21st, 2007, 01:11 AM
Yes, I am officially grim.

If we don't blow out UNC, I'll no longer be grim, I'll be the reaper. UNC had 560 yard put up on them by USD, 507 by NAU, 612 xeekx by Cal Poly, 478 by ISU, 479 by D-II Chadron State, and 393 by Weber. Now we get them at HOME. There is no plausible, explainable reason why Montana shouldn't put up well over 400 yards against THAT defense. Yet, I'll predict about 320....or less. Oh, we'll win the game, and maybe even in a "blowout" like 30-7, or something like that, but I'm bettin' there'll be at least one defensive touchdown, and a lot of short fields to work with.

In fact, I will be the first to go on record, right now, and say that if we continue playing like we're playing, Montana will enter Flagstaff with a gaudy 7-0 record, lose to the Lumberjokes, and go into a tailspin from that point, losing the next weekend to PSU, beating ISU, then losing to the Bobcats. The Griz will end with a 8-3 record, 3 conference losses, no BSC title, and I'm beginning to believe this may be the first year in 15 years Montana does NOT go to the playoffs.

OK. Montana put up 623 yards against NoCo's pathetic defense. NoCo stayed true to form.
Let's hope (for Griz fans' sake) that I'm wrong about how the rest of the season plays out... xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

uofmman1122
October 21st, 2007, 03:37 AM
OK. Montana put up 623 yards against NoCo's pathetic defense. NoCo stayed true to form.
Let's hope (for Griz fans' sake) that I'm wrong about how the rest of the season plays out... xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowxI saw a lot of things I liked today. Not just because UNC is terrible, but we as a team played much better. Threw to more receivers, and backs, which is good for any team. Cole didn't try to force the ball in as much. As for his INT, I'm pretty sure it was tipped, and not so much his fault. Could be wrong, though, as I was at a funny angle in the stands.

Also, on a side note, great to see Andrew Selle, who I graduated with, get his first TD. Grats to him. xnodx

mvemjsunpx
October 21st, 2007, 05:29 AM
Cole didn't try to force the ball in as much. As for his INT, I'm pretty sure it was tipped, and not so much his fault.

Nope, Cole threw it right to the guy. I'm guessing he was sure the slot-out would be there pre-snap & it wasn't.

Didn't matter though, as the Bears were, of course, unable to score.

Casey_Orourke
October 21st, 2007, 10:32 AM
I saw a lot of things I liked today. Not just because UNC is terrible, but we as a team played much better. Threw to more receivers, and backs, which is good for any team. Cole didn't try to force the ball in as much. As for his INT, I'm pretty sure it was tipped, and not so much his fault. Could be wrong, though, as I was at a funny angle in the stands.

Also, on a side note, great to see Andrew Selle, who I graduated with, get his first TD. Grats to him. xnodx

Was it a case of Montana finally finding its offense or a case of Montana playing a team so bad that a Pop Warner team could have won in a nailbiter?

Griz0383
October 21st, 2007, 10:52 AM
I felt sorry for UNC today! When NC's biggest player is a QB, "WOW" things gonna be depressing. He is their best player as well. Recruiting issues are obvious but how did it come this? They have decent athletes but not at the level required to be a player in any conference the FCS. Any UNC fans have any ideas as to what happened to your team?

MCCat
October 21st, 2007, 11:13 AM
I'm just so glad Douggie Fullerton and the BSC presidents decided to let UNC in and not NDSU! This decision sure has all the looks of being the correct one to improve the competitivness, profile, excitement, etc of the Big Sky. Kudos to all these men in their infinitely small wisdom on this decision!xmadx xbowx xoopsx

AZGrizFan
October 21st, 2007, 11:29 AM
I'm just so glad Douggie Fullerton and the BSC presidents decided to let UNC in and not NDSU! This decision sure has all the looks of being the correct one to improve the competitivness, profile, excitement, etc of the Big Sky. Kudos to all these men in their infinitely small wisdom on this decision!xmadx xbowx xoopsx

Hindsight is 20/20, but correct me if I'm wrong: Wasn't UNC pretty damned good when the decision was made? And wasn't NDSU regularly finishing behind them in their old conference? xconfusedx xconfusedx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 21st, 2007, 01:17 PM
Hindsight is 20/20, but correct me if I'm wrong: Wasn't UNC pretty damned good when the decision was made? And wasn't NDSU regularly finishing behind them in their old conference? xconfusedx xconfusedx

Yeah I believe that is true as well but I thought the main reason was travel. here are some distances that I looked up in comparison of the two schools:

NDSU to NAU-1,873 mi – about 1 day 2 hours

NDSU to Sacrament State-1,750 mi – about 1 day 1 hour

NDSU to Portland State-1,502 mi – about 21 hours 15 mins

NDSU to Weber state University-1,188 mi – about 16 hours 29 mins

NDSU to EWU-1,165 mi – about 16 hours 5 mins

NDSU to Idaho state-1,056 mi – about 14 hours 40 mins

NDSU to Montana-953 mi – about 13 hours 0 mins

NDSU to Montana State-753 mi – about 10 hours 21 mins

UNC to Portland State-1,229 mi – about 17 hours 37 mins

UNC to Sacrament State-1,153 mi – about 16 hours 12 mins

UNC to EWU-1,079 mi – about 14 hours 59 mins

UNC to NAU-977 mi – about 13 hours 50 mins

UNC to Montana-867 mi – about 11 hours 54 mins

UNC to Montana State-666 mi – about 9 hours 16 mins

UNC to Idaho state-566 mi – about 8 hours 33 mins

UNC to Weber state University-493 mi – about 6 hours 54 mins

SDSU to Sacramento State-1,765 mi – about 1 day 1 hour

SDSU to NAU-1,687 mi – about 23 hours 27 mins

**these are all gonna be real close to the NDSU #'s.

So the distance for the Football teams to complete their conference schedule (over two years)

UNC-7,030
NDSU-10,240

Now if you add in the Men's and women's BB teams, Softball, tennis, track, and whatever else that's a whole lot of travel in a year.

Other Schools to judge the distances by:

NDSU to Stephen F. Austin-1,219 mi – about 18 hours 51 mins

NDSU to James Madison-1,355 mi – about 21 hours 34 mins

NDSU to Delaware-1,376 mi – about 22 hours 7 mins

NDSU to Grambling-1,196 mi – about 19 hours 14 mins

NDSU to UNH-1,682 mi – about 1 day 3 hours

NDSU to Appy-1,342 mi – about 21 hours 26 mins

MCCat
October 21st, 2007, 06:15 PM
Of course the "travel" is what they said the issue was! Do you honestly believe them?

So the Big Sky boots Sac (no one in California or Sacramento gives a rats arse about them anyway and their facilities are a joke compared to many high school facilities in MONTANA), PSU (see comments above about Sac and change city/state to Portland and Oregon), NAU (its a pain for everyone to get into/out of Flagstaff anyway, always has been, always will be) and let them join the Big West or a California bus league.

As far as UNC goes, they don't have anywhere near the tradition or money that NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD have and aren't going to get there because they are too close to CSU and CU which dominate Colorado!

The Big Sky has never and will never be able to compete w/ the Pac 10, Big 12, WAC, or Mountain West and until our "leaders" figure that out and stop wasting time and money on these 3rd rate programs in these markets we're going to continue to lose momentum as a conference.

WyomingGrizFan
October 21st, 2007, 08:31 PM
About Northern Colorado, the announcers for the game stated that #14 Dominic Breazeale, all 6'6" and 260 lbs of him, was a freshman, the Bears having about sixty freshman, plus redshirt fr. on their roster.

Checking their site it says Breazeale is a senior and they have about 43 freshman, including redshirt fr. I was wondering yesterday just how good that Breazeale would have been in four years 'as' a senior!!! That would have been some indication that NColorado was at least on the upswing. But now I don't know.

If Breazeale is a freshman he'd be a going concern for opposing defenses; it took about four or five defenders yesterday to bring him down after he took a QB keeper sweep around the left side of his line. That's quite a lot carrying the o' pigskin.

Casey_Orourke
October 22nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
As far as UNC goes, they don't have anywhere near the tradition or money that NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD have and aren't going to get there because they are too close to CSU and CU which dominate Colorado!

Same situation in Oregon where the state is dominated by Oregon and Oregon State, but then they have 100+ years tradition of being the state's major institutions, PSU has only 60. But at least PSU is starting to get some notice and support as far as acedemics are concerned. Now we need to work on rebuilding our athletic programs and update our facilities.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 27th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I think we have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.... EWU lost by 1 to Montana, in Missoula, and thumped no. 11 MSU yesterday at home in Cheney. We're coming close to having the no.1 offense in the FCS, and our defense is getting better and better. I'd love nothing better than to have App state play us. xthumbsupx xnodx

Haha, perusing old threads I've posted in... looks like my hopes came to fruition! xthumbsupx