PDA

View Full Version : I apologize to the Sports Network people

Boogs
October 14th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I saw Richmond dismantle Stony Brook yesterday in person, 42-0.

No wonder why this game was tagged on the schedule as Family Day -- sparse crowd that paid for discounted tickets.

Stony Brook is mid-major. Don Hansen is wrong. The Sports Network poll is correct by including Stony Brook in their rankings.

I've never seen any team with a proliferation of small players with no meat on their bones or the other extreme of having pot bellies that claim to be a full-blown FCS program. I expected Stony Brook to no longer look like that with their increase in schollys/equivalencies and their subsequent boot from the NEC. Boy was I wrong.

Seawolves are bush league. xcoffeex

DB_Atlantic10
October 14th, 2007, 11:48 AM

No wonder why this game was tagged on the schedule as Family Day -- sparse crowd that paid for discounted tickets.

Stony Brook is mid-major. Don Hansen is wrong. The Sports Network poll is correct by including Stony Brook in their rankings.

I've never seen any team with a proliferation of small players with no meat on their bones or the other extreme of having pot bellies that claim to be a full-blown FCS program. I expected Stony Brook to no longer look like that with their increase in schollys/equivalencies and their subsequent boot from the NEC. Boy was I wrong.

Seawolves are bush league. xcoffeex Exactly what are you trying to say here? Is the sarcasm..are you putting Stoney Brook down...or just what? You've certainly lost me.

Boogs
October 14th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Exactly what are you trying to say here? Is the sarcasm..are you putting Stoney Brook down...or just what? You've certainly lost me.

I'm saying Stony Brook should be mid-major eligible in the Don Hansen rankings.

Uncle Buck
October 14th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I believe there was something in print that said SBU was comparable to a mid-level CAA team, like Richmond. Maybe he read that piece. SBU has put way too much into their game at Hofstra. We played our worst game of the season as a whole and i think it gave them a false sense of who they were.

As for his critique of the players, he is right on. They looked smaller and much lighter than HU. While they do have talent, they would be a bottom dweller in the CAA.

downbythebeach
October 14th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Boogs, no one cares, and that poll in your sig is a joke.

Boogs
October 14th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Boogs, no one cares, and that poll in your sig is a joke.

Yep.

You cared enough to reply.

How is my poll (not really mine, it's Zermelo/Bradley/Terry) a joke?

I'm looking at creating a system that does not include scoring margins (running up the score) as a factor. If you have ideas don't hold back. Give me specifics of what is wrong rather than generalities.

DFW HOYA
October 14th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I'm saying Stony Brook should be mid-major eligible in the Don Hansen rankings.

Stony Brook has 42 scholarships. The Hansen-created "mid major" definition is for teams which do not award athletic aid. Neither Stony Brook, Savannah State, Georgetown, VMI, et al. are mid-major by that definition.

Boogs
October 14th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Stony Brook has 42 scholarships. The Hansen-created "mid major" definition is for teams which do not award athletic aid. Neither Stony Brook, Savannah State, Georgetown, VMI, et al. are mid-major by that definition.

Hansen equates scholarships with equivalencies and vice versa, correct? If Don was held to the standard you suggested, the NEC would not appear in the mid-major rankings for the 2007 season either. The NEC schools still appear in the mid-major rankings.

It would appear Stony Brook basically gave scholarships to lousy mid-major talent for some reason. I guess the talent pool for their pickin's was empty this year.

appfan2008
October 14th, 2007, 12:15 PM
i would agree stony brook is not deserving but at the same time they arent mid major either

pantherfan
October 14th, 2007, 03:53 PM
i would agree stony brook is not deserving but at the same time they arent mid major either

So should they have their own classification of "not mid-major, just a big waste of scholarships"?;)

blur2005
October 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Yep.

You cared enough to reply.

How is my poll (not really mine, it's Zermelo/Bradley/Terry) a joke?

I'm looking at creating a system that does not include scoring margins (running up the score) as a factor. If you have ideas don't hold back. Give me specifics of what is wrong rather than generalities.
The problem is, the score CAN matter.

Boogs
October 14th, 2007, 05:54 PM
The problem is, the score CAN matter.

If an official system (only system) that selects teams for the end of season playoff, uses scoring margins you are opening a pandora's box of deliberate running up of the score.

Since we don't have a sole system that uses scoring margins to pick teams the incentive to run up the score right now does not exist.

Maverick
October 14th, 2007, 06:08 PM
What do you mean by a sole system that is based on a margin of victory? I have never heard of any system that uses that as the primary basis, but I would probably find it making about as much sense as this thing you are touting. Are you saying that MOV should never be a factor in any system? Some use it but as a weighted factor. What is this thing that you espouse based on and what track record if any does it have showing what it can tell us about FCS football?

D1B
October 15th, 2007, 08:46 AM

You obviously have never seen a SWAC or MEAC game.xnodx xlolx xrulesx

danefan
October 15th, 2007, 08:50 AM

A post like that deserves a personal attack....admins strike me if you want, but Boogs....

you're an idiot.xnonono2x

Oh and FYI....just made the ignore list. Congrats.

Franks Tanks
October 15th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Boogs,

I think you should apoligize to all of us here on AGS for continuing to push these rankings. They are so arbitrary and really bring nothing to the table.

andy7171
October 15th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Would that make them a Major Mid-Major?

HensRock
October 15th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Would that make them a Major Mid-Major?

Surely, they'd be a Major Major.

UAalum72
October 15th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Bob Newhart as Major Major Major Major (Catch-22, ,1969, with Austin Pendleton and Candice Bergen)

http://imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1208/Mptv/1208/9488_0031.jpg

Boogs
October 16th, 2007, 07:00 PM
A post like that deserves a personal attack....admins strike me if you want, but Boogs....

You're one post too late on putting me on your ignore list!

24-23 is too close to home! xhomerx

Boogs
October 16th, 2007, 07:11 PM

I'm suppose to believe what you say instead of my own eyes (I was at that game)?! Give me a break. xcoffeex

Boogs
October 16th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Boogs,

I think you should apoligize to all of us here on AGS for continuing to push these rankings. They are so arbitrary and really bring nothing to the table.

Tell that to any high school athletic association seeking to get the right teams into their playoffs without any type of biased voting or automatic qualifying system. xcoffeex

Next.

Franks Tanks
October 16th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Tell that to any high school athletic association seeking to get the right teams into their playoffs without any type of biased voting or automatic qualifying system. xcoffeex

Next.

Yes High school xlolx -- In case you werent sure this is a FCS college football message board. I would have respect for your system if it didnt differ completely from public opinion.

Maverick
October 16th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Boogs,
This is ain't high school! And your rankings are pretty rank. So I am glad that you enjoy them so since from what I see it here that is pretty much what it will be with your system. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex