PDA

View Full Version : Pic from SIU-UNI

Pantherpower
October 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM
http://cmsimg.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=D2&Dato=20071013&Kategori=SPORTS020702&Lopenr=710130815&Ref=PH&Item=8&Maxw=450&maxH=450&border=0

Doh!!!xeekx

Houndawg
October 14th, 2007, 10:49 AM
http://cmsimg.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=D2&Dato=20071013&Kategori=SPORTS020702&Lopenr=710130815&Ref=PH&Item=8&Maxw=450&maxH=450&border=0

Doh!!!xeekx

Hit of the game, a real de-cleater. The kid came back the next series and made a 24 yd. catch.

Pantherpower
October 14th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Yep. Tough kid. I was worried about him for a moment after the hit. Don't get me wrong, I was cheering like everyone else at the time of the play, but for a moment thought he might have a concussion.

SO ILLmatic
October 14th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Anybody have a pic of Nick Hill when the refs called him down and he threw the touchdown pass?

I heard it on a radio, but was not watching the Mediacom broadcast at this time.

Houndawg
October 14th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Yep. Tough kid. I was worried about him for a moment after the hit. Don't get me wrong, I was cheering like everyone else at the time of the play, but for a moment thought he might have a concussion.

I'm surprised he got up. That was as hard a hit as I've seen anywhere, by a CB no less.

Reed Rothchild
October 14th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Anybody have a pic of Nick Hill when the refs called him down and he threw the touchdown pass?

I heard it on a radio, but was not watching the Mediacom broadcast at this time.

I just watched the recorded game and he was down. The ref was right there and ruled him down and blew the whistle but it was too loud there to hear it.

Reed Rothchild
October 14th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Doh!!!xeekx

He fumbled the ball on that play. He had possession and ran a few steps before he lost the ball. O well.

Bison_Kent
October 14th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Here are some pictures I got from the game. Very good good game for my first live game of the year.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561020160dFzvki

Killsback
October 14th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I just watched the recorded game and he was down. The ref was right there and ruled him down and blew the whistle but it was too loud there to hear it.

You can't honestly say his knee went down because on the Jerry Kill TV Show today they slowed it down and zoomed in and his knee was 6-8 inches from the ground. Now, the referee did say his knee was down, but you can't claim you saw his knee down. This was the same officiating crew that said Braden Jones fumbled the ball against UNI two years ago in the dome, when he put the ball on the ground on the sideline and they gave the ball to UNI. Coincidence?????

Too many turnovers to win that game, but it is encouraging that UNI played a near flawless game (no turnovers and only 2 penalties) and had to hold on at the end to win.

Reed Rothchild
October 14th, 2007, 02:40 PM
You can't honestly say his knee went down because on the Jerry Kill TV Show today they slowed it down and zoomed in and his knee was 6-8 inches from the ground. Now, the referee did say his knee was down, but you can't claim you saw his knee down. This was the same officiating crew that said Braden Jones fumbled the ball against UNI two years ago in the dome, when he put the ball on the ground on the sideline and they gave the ball to UNI. Coincidence?????

Too many turnovers to win that game, but it is encouraging that UNI played a near flawless game (no turnovers and only 2 penalties) and had to hold on at the end to win.

SIU is very good and I really hope we don't have to play them in the playoffs.

The bad calls evened out and the Gateway refs have always been bad.

Reed Rothchild
October 14th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Here are some pictures I got from the game. Very good good game for my first live game of the year.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561020160dFzvki

What did you think of the fabulous UNI-Dome? Also, I noticed they now have the NDSU and SDSU emblems on the pressbox for Gateway teams. Its going to be tough playing those 2 each year from now on.

Houndawg
October 14th, 2007, 03:00 PM
SIU is very good and I really hope we don't have to play them in the playoffs.

The bad calls evened out and the Gateway refs have always been bad.

Pretty much evened out, yeah. It was certainly a great time to go three quarters without a penalty, shows an ability to remain calm under pressure. UNI will likely win out and stay home and if we get another shot at breaking the dome jinx it should be a real barn burner, but we'll have to get there as an at-large. Personally, I thought that this game would be a low scoring defensive battle because both teams would stop the run. Oops.

Mountain Panther
October 14th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Pretty much evened out, yeah. It was certainly a great time to go three quarters without a penalty, shows an ability to remain calm under pressure. UNI will likely win out and stay home and if we get another shot at breaking the dome jinx it should be a real barn burner, but we'll have to get there as an at-large. Personally, I thought that this game would be a low scoring defensive battle because both teams would stop the run. Oops.

Our secondary should know what to work on this week in practice. xoopsx

crunifan
October 14th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Is no one else even remotely irritated with the fact that for nearly the entire 4th quarter, Farley used the most basic offense to try and nurse a 13 point lead against SIU? You have to go for the win, you don't rush the ball on 3rd and 15! You don't take a knee unless you are positive you are going to run down the clock! SIU shouldn't have even been in the game by the end of the game, UNI should have still been taking it to them.

My opinion (which I am sure SIU fans won't agree), but UNI is the better team. The first 3 quarters, UNI was always completely comfortable and in control of the game. Granted, a lot of that was due to Hill's interceptions, but that is in part to our good defense. I think poor play calling in the 4th was the reason SIU was let back into the game.

With that said, SIU would easily have the advantage (and I would expect them to win) if it were to be played in Carbondale. Both are great teams that should make it far in the playoffs. I'm just tired of hearing that UNI didn't beat SIU, that SIU beat itself.

appfan2008
October 14th, 2007, 03:42 PM
uni needs to upgrade their field and get some field turf... that carpet is some dangerous stuff

Reed Rothchild
October 14th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Is no one else even remotely irritated with the fact that for nearly the entire 4th quarter, Farley used the most basic offense to try and nurse a 13 point lead against SIU? You have to go for the win, you don't rush the ball on 3rd and 15! You don't take a knee unless you are positive you are going to run down the clock! SIU shouldn't have even been in the game by the end of the game, UNI should have still been taking it to them.

My opinion (which I am sure SIU fans won't agree), but UNI is the better team. The first 3 quarters, UNI was always completely comfortable and in control of the game. Granted, a lot of that was due to Hill's interceptions, but that is in part to our good defense. I think poor play calling in the 4th was the reason SIU was let back into the game.

With that said, SIU would easily have the advantage (and I would expect them to win) if it were to be played in Carbondale. Both are great teams that should make it far in the playoffs. I'm just tired of hearing that UNI didn't beat SIU, that SIU beat itself.

First off, Farley doesn't call the offense. Second, with a 13 point lead you run the ball and avoid the int risk. Thats football 101.

Now playing prevent defense against a good qb with over 4 minutes left, not blitzing, and then taking a knee with 1:30 left when SIU has 1 time out left all are arguable offenses.

Reed Rothchild
October 14th, 2007, 03:49 PM
uni needs to upgrade their field and get some field turf... that carpet is some dangerous stuff

It is deadly but the UNI-Dome is a multi-purpose facility where the turn is frequently rolled and unrolled.

crunifan
October 14th, 2007, 03:54 PM
First off, Farley doesn't call the offense. Second, with a 13 point lead you run the ball and avoid the int risk. Thats football 101.

Now playing prevent defense against a good qb with over 4 minutes left, not blitzing, and then taking a knee with 1:30 left when SIU has 1 time out left all are arguable offenses.

My main point is that after our interception, SIU should have NEVER gotten that ball back. Run some simple play that wastes more time than a kneel.

Bottom line: UNI just did enough to not lose in the fourth quarter. They didn't play to win.

pantherfan
October 14th, 2007, 04:02 PM
My main point is that after our interception, SIU should have NEVER gotten that ball back. Run some simple play that wastes more time than a kneel.

Bottom line: UNI just did enough to not lose in the fourth quarter. They didn't play to win.

I agree. UNI looked like a 2 TD better team all game; then the coaches put the brakes on and just about handed the game over on a silver platter. The fact that SIU was a few more yards away on a fluke play to end it should not have come into play AT ALL. With 1:30 left, give the ball to Lewis and run it up the middle with two hands on the football. Even doing that once runs that clock out due to the spotting and unpiling! I've always been in the play to win, not to hold on crowd.xcoffeex SIU has a good team, but I'd take another game with them in the Dome...xnodx

Reed Rothchild
October 14th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Funny that we really aren't used to seeing how UNI plays with a lead like this in a big game. The big games have usually been shootouts or miraculous comebacks.

Killsback
October 14th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Don't forget that UNI had two weeks to prepare for the game and had much fresher legs. UNI was dominant for two quarters Saturday, but the Salukis won the second half and came within 6 yards of winning the game. Just because the "O" coordinator doesn't know how to run out a clock is not SIU's fault. The Salukis did everything they needed to do to stay in the game and have a chance to win at the end.

A rematch woulod be very interesting because as was stated earlier...UNI played a near flawless game and still baerely won.

Mountain Panther
October 14th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Don't forget that UNI had two weeks to prepare for the game and had much fresher legs.

And don't forget our QB was nowhere near 100% at the start of last night's game.

Pantherpower
October 14th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Don't forget that UNI had two weeks to prepare for the game and had much fresher legs. UNI was dominant for two quarters Saturday, but the Salukis won the second half and came within 6 yards of winning the game. Just because the "O" coordinator doesn't know how to run out a clock is not SIU's fault. The Salukis did everything they needed to do to stay in the game and have a chance to win at the end.

A rematch woulod be very interesting because as was stated earlier...UNI played a near flawless game and still baerely won.

We hardly played a flawless game. I was disappionted that UNI seemed to lack a killer instinct at the end...stomp on their throats!! and it allowed SIU back in it.

We could get away with that against an average team, but SIU is above average and took advantage, nearly stealing one.

crunifan
October 14th, 2007, 04:37 PM

As others have stated, our running back Corey Lewis is still not quite 100% and Sanders is isn't even close to 100%. So, fresher legs was not much of factor. And UNI played far from a flawless game. I am still questioning the reasoning behind some of the playcalling. But, I agree, the Salukis definitely did everything they needed to stay in the game. They are an excellent football team.

A rematch would definitely be interesting, but I would still expect a super close game. These are two extremely talented teams that in my opinion, have what it takes to go to Chattanooga this year.

Killsback
October 14th, 2007, 04:42 PM
When I say flawless, I mean no turnovers and only two penalties I believe. I don't mean flawless on "O" and "D", because a lot of times that is up to the individual who gets beat, or makes a play.

SIU turned it over four times, and a 5th could have been called when the tight end got popped in the first quarter. SIU missed on all three 4h down tries, yet with all that diversity, still managed to come within 6 yards of winning the game.

crunifan
October 14th, 2007, 04:51 PM
When I say flawless, I mean no turnovers and only two penalties I believe. I don't mean flawless on "O" and "D", because a lot of times that is up to the individual who gets beat, or makes a play.

SIU turned it over four times, and a 5th could have been called when the tight end got popped in the first quarter. SIU missed on all three 4h down tries, yet with all that diversity, still managed to come within 6 yards of winning the game.

True. I can see your point.

I guess, I view the turnovers, especially the interceptions as a kudos to our defense. Because SIU was behind the whole game, they had to go for some of the big passes (because if they worked, momentum shifts). But, the defense saw them, read Hill, and got the interceptions.

Also, the 4th downs are purely based on our defense, which is much improved over last year. You don't stop a team on 4th and short three times with luck.

I can see an SIU fan's point of view, thinking "what if" and "if only." But UNI fans are doing the same thing. What if we got the onside kick. What if we actually did plays in the final 2 minutes as opposed to taking a knee, etc.

Saluki_man
October 14th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Haven't we learned from the last few years that this game will always be close and have a team attempt an amazing comeback.

Houndawg
October 14th, 2007, 05:58 PM
And don't forget our QB was nowhere near 100% at the start of last night's game.

And our MLB missed the game. Regardless, UNI won a great college football game, maybe one of the FCS's best we'll see this year. While it's a real drag to think that we could go 10-1 and need an at-large bid, it had to be a great confidence booster to play maybe the best team in the division this week at home and play well enough to be in it until after the clock ran out.

TCisMYhero
October 14th, 2007, 05:59 PM
...yet with all that diversity, still managed to come within 6 yards of winning the game.

But you didn't. Time to come to terms with that and move on.

Houndawg
October 14th, 2007, 06:14 PM

I'll agree that UNI is the better team right now, though I think we match up fine athletically. As for the running, don't forget that we were stuffing the run too. UNI was the more physical team, but not by much. Overall the bad calls balanced, but not getting a flag for three quarters is a hell of a break in a game that physical and the blown TD call would have had us throwing short for an FG....shoulda woulda coulda....we got beat, we didn't beat ourselves, but we sure didn't help things.

Chi Panther
October 14th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I wonder how many INTs Hill would have thrown with a shoulder injury?

Both are good teams....and I hope they don't meet in the playoffs.

Cap'n Cat
October 14th, 2007, 08:00 PM
This Saluki excuse shat and denial of their subservience (again) to UNI is worse than Illinois State's.

xrolleyesx

Jesus!

xcoffeex

Saluki_man
October 14th, 2007, 11:35 PM
This Saluki excuse shat and denial of their subservience (again) to UNI is worse than Illinois State's.

xrolleyesx

Jesus!

xcoffeex

No excuses, its still that damm magic dome. We can never win there, if we did it may be an omen that we will win a championship (only win there was 1983, the year that we won it all)

JayJ79
October 15th, 2007, 01:35 AM
When I say flawless, I mean no turnovers and only two penalties I believe.

Actually, UNI was penalized 5 times for 35 yards, and SIU was penalized 3 times for 35 yards.

UNI penalties:
- holding (4th qtr, 10 yds, offense)
- delay of game (4th qtr, 5 yds, offense)
- offside (4th qtr, 5 yds, defense)

SIU penalties:
- ineligible receiver downfield (1st qtr, 5 yds, offense)
- roughing the passer (1st qtr, 15 yds, defense)
- personal foul, late hit (4th qtr, 15 yds, punt return)

Cap'n Cat
October 15th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Actually, UNI was penalized 5 times for 35 yards, and SIU was penalized 3 times for 35 yards.

UNI penalties:
- offside (4th qtr, 5 yds, defense)

SIU penalties:
- ineligible receiver downfield (1st qtr, 5 yds, offense)
- roughing the passer (1st qtr, 15 yds, defense)
- personal foul, late hit (4th qtr, 15 yds, punt return)

Now, boys. Play nice.

xnonox

Houndawg
October 15th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Now, boys. Play nice.

xnonox

:D They made up for the iffy roughing call on SIU by not calling the facemask on UNI a series or two later.

Cap'n Cat
October 15th, 2007, 07:32 AM
:D They made up for the iffy roughing call on SIU by not calling the facemask on UNI a series or two later.

Not called? Didn't happen.

xnodx

Ronin
October 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM

My feelings exactly. Heartbreaking to see the coaching mistakes after the players had done their job against a high powered SIU team.

unigriff
October 15th, 2007, 09:58 AM
UNI won that game outright.

UNI 30 SIU 17

UNIs Coaching in last 5 minutes -7, SIU 0

JayJ79
October 15th, 2007, 10:26 AM

iffy roughing call??
It was a good couple of seconds between when the ball was released and when Sanders was hit. It was an obvious attempt by the SIU defense to try and aggravate the shoulder.