PDA

View Full Version : SAN DIEGO......TORREROS!

Pages : [1] 2

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2007, 09:18 AM
AH'M BEGINNIN' TA SNIFF UH SAN DIEGO/MONTANA FIRST ROUNDERAH......ANY YA'LL K-DRAGGERAHS......GOT DEM OLFACTORY BLUES........xconfusedx.........BRAWK!

DUH TORREROS......(PAINS ME TA REPEAT DIS)......WAFFLED UH GOOD TEAM IN DRAKE.....WHO BEAT ILL. ST......WHO BEAT....YADDAH YADDAH YADDAH.........MONTANA IS EEKIN' & SQWEAKIN' 'EM OUT....AGIN'.......TEAMS WHIFF DUH PUNCH....O' UH SHIRLEY TEMPLE!

th0m
October 14th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Let's see how they do vs. UC Davis first. Not that the Aggies are that great this year, but at least it's a semi 'quality' win, like this Drake win is.

USDFAN_55
October 14th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Let's see how they do vs. UC Davis first. Not that the Aggies are that great this year, but at least it's a semi 'quality' win, like this Drake win is.

Agreed.... we need to see how we do against UC Davis. If the defense keeps playing like they did last night (6 turnovers and holding Scotty P. to 56 yards rushing), it should be a very good game against UCD.

flyenhigh
October 14th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Great win yes but:

First you need to show how you are going to beat Dayton and the other PFL teams on your schedule.

I am a fortune teller and I predict a loss at Dayton on parents weekend for USD.

Reed Rothchild
October 14th, 2007, 11:47 AM
This win over Drake is not that impressive. They beat Ill State on a fluke play in a game where the Birds had no idea what Drake was going to run.

USDFAN_55
October 14th, 2007, 12:07 PM
This win over Drake is not that impressive. They beat Ill State on a fluke play in a game where the Birds had no idea what Drake was going to run.

I guess San Diego is damned if they do, they damned if they don't...... there were quite a few posters in here (especially fellow Iowans) that said Drake would take care of business. That Drake was a good team. They were supposed to show those Souther California boys how football is played. Obviously that wasn't the case, and now the same ones that said Drake was going to win are the same ones saying Drake is a bad team and it was expected. Like it or not, San Diego went out last night and took care of business.

Torero Tradition
October 14th, 2007, 12:08 PM

Most people continue to think that nothing is impressive about USD... they just go about their business and continue to be un-impressive

xoopsx

SeattleGriz
October 14th, 2007, 12:10 PM

C'mon dude. It was a great win where they completely handled Drake.

San Diego is trying their best to make their case for inclusion to the playoffs and I for one think they have done all that can be asked of them at this point.

flyenhigh
October 14th, 2007, 12:11 PM
For all you HARD HEADED so called football fans, USD took care of freaking business. Don't hate them cause you aint them..ha ha. Anyway they demolished a good Drake team.

Like it or not give some freaking respect where it is due.
xmadx

Maverick
October 14th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Yeah, San Diego with a schedule rated at 238 out of 242 took care of business. Today in Sagarin they are rated 151 after they took care of Drake rated 189 as of today. Sounds like a playoff-resume? They are undefeated and they should be. The biggest win could be over a UC-Davis team that is rated at 140 as of today. Them's the facts!

USDFAN_55
October 14th, 2007, 01:15 PM
This is all like Deja Vu. Commence everyone calling San Diego's schedule soft.xreadx

Griz0383
October 14th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Missoula and the Griz would be happy to accommodate USD in the 1st round of the playoffs. In case you forget, It's almost as cold is it loud and it's real LOUD so bring some extra warm thingy’s!!!!

Maverick
October 14th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Explain how that 238 out of 242 schedule ranking for USD in Sagarin is wrong first and then you can start complaining about your schedule being falsely accused. xcoffeex xwhistlex

USDFAN_55
October 14th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Missoula and the Griz would be happy to accommodate USD in the 1st round of the playoffs. In case you forget, It's almost as cold is it loud and it's real LOUD so bring some extra warm thingy’s!!!!

That's like Kryptonite to us.xnodx

USDFAN_55
October 14th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Explain how that 238 out of 242 schedule ranking for USD in Sagarin is wrong first and then you can start complaining about your schedule being falsely accused. xcoffeex xwhistlex

I never said it ws wrong.... but you can't go by that 100%. Computers do make mistakes you know..... after all they only do what stupid humans tell them to do.xthumbsupx

strike00
October 14th, 2007, 01:28 PM
impressive win by USD!

Maverick
October 14th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Then explain your strength of schedule as you believe it to be. List your schedule in terms of the best team you have played to worst team you have played and let the chips fall where they may. xnodx xnodx

AZGrizFan
October 14th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I believe if the Griz were to play USD this weekend, USD wins. xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

unigriff
October 14th, 2007, 01:35 PM
USD should play UNI.

GOTOREROS
October 14th, 2007, 02:05 PM

San Diego is 1-0 lifetime vs. Montanta. :D

GOTOREROS
October 14th, 2007, 02:06 PM

San Diego is 1-0 lifetime vs. Montana.....:D

DetroitFlyer
October 14th, 2007, 02:14 PM
A good example is the Ivy League.... Most computer rankings will have the Ivy League ranked above the PL and certainly the PFL.... Why? I mean how do you judge a league that only plays 10 games, and whose OOC games are primarily against the PL? Yet, no one ever complains about the Ivy League playing a soft schedule, and most here would welcome Yale to the playoffs if they were willing to play.... The same Yale that USD destroyed last year.... PFL games are not easy, and USD will do well to beat Dayton this year, and I think Morehead State will give them a game as well. I would like to see USD finish 10-1 with a loss to my Flyers, but if they go 11-0, I cannot wait to hear the excuses for keeping them out of the playoffs....

Maverick
October 14th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Here is the excuse already - Strength of Schedule. Same as the one last year that kept them out. So you can begin to rail against that fact early this year.

Another interesting question does arise based on the level of football played in the conference is one of should the PFL get an autobid before the NEC? This has nothing to do with who petitioned first or who has more scholarships, only thing is from a football playing perspective which is the better conference?

danefan
October 14th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I think the NEC and PFL are just about even, with the edge overall probably going to the PFL this year. I think the effect of scholarships will take its toll in the upcoming years and you will start to see the NEC pull away from the PFL.

But for right now, even or the PFL slightly ahead.

BobbyMo
October 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM
as much as it pains me to say it, I would agree with Danefan. RMU split its PFL games but i think San Diego is head and shoulders above any PFL and NEC team giving the PFL the overall edge (this year).

Reed Rothchild
October 14th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I guess San Diego is damned if they do, they damned if they don't...... there were quite a few posters in here (especially fellow Iowans) that said Drake would take care of business. That Drake was a good team. They were supposed to show those Souther California boys how football is played. Obviously that wasn't the case, and now the same ones that said Drake was going to win are the same ones saying Drake is a bad team and it was expected. Like it or not, San Diego went out last night and took care of business.

Well, I'm not one of those people who said Drake would take care of business. xcoffeex

blur2005
October 14th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Playoff teams:

UNI
Southern Ill
Youngstown St

UMass
JMU
Delaware
UNH
Hofstra

McNeese St
Nicholls St

Wofford
App St
(The Citadel)

Montana
Eastern Wash/Montana St

E. Kentucky

Patriot League auto

Delaware State/Norfolk State

There's 18 teams (well, 20) that will be in ahead of San Diego for playoff inclusion. Again, the Toreros won't be in the playoffs.

flyenhigh
October 14th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Maybe at this current time USD should not get into the playoffs due to the fact the playoff bracket is to small. Should the PFL and NEC winner get a shot at the playoffs? There should be a auto bid for every 1AA conf. It is silly to not bc it just leaves conversations like this.

There is really no real way to tell if USD belongs in the playoffs because their schedule but realize that so far they as a team can not do anything else to prove they just may belong. Once again this year brings up some serious flaws in the playoffs. Every year it is one team from the PFL or NEC that seems to have a valid argument they belong.

It is complete BS to keep these two conf. from having an auto bid or at least let the winner of the annual champ from the both leagues via winner of Gridiron Classic in.

Let the game do the talking or for FCS sake let the talking be the gamexnonox

Maverick
October 14th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Such a move is underway. The field will grow but how much and the impact it will have on future scheduling is the key to the changes. The questions are major for all parties involved. Should the championship date not be moved due to the desire not to compete with the FBS games, what will happen with the open/bye weeks during the regular season as with an increased bracket and extra week would need the playoffs to begin the weekend before Thanksgiving. If they don't want to start the playoffs until the Thanksgiving weekend, the need to move the date to a week later will move it into the realm of the FBS bowl games as well as college basketball games. I am sure that the Friday evening will still be preferred because of the just mentioned items. What about the added costs to the participants outside of the NCAA cost reimbursements? The NCAA does not just pick up the tab. They will reimburse the school based on an official travel party of a pre-determined size, meal rate, room costs, as specified in the official NCAA championship book. Prior to traveling to the site, teams are responsible for their own costs. The NCAA does not just "pay for everything" as I have seen posted on this site. It will be interesting to see how this enlarged bracket develops. The biggest question is whether the overall increase in interest will be noticeable after this.

Stang Fever
October 14th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Then explain your strength of schedule as you believe it to be. List your schedule in terms of the best team you have played to worst team you have played and let the chips fall where they may. xnodx xnodx

I agree with you on this one Maverick!! Its the one thing USD fans hate to talk about. They say how good they are, and I feel they are just blinded by the fact that they dont play a team ranked higher then 150 in the Sargin ranking. I am not impressed, it does say something how good they must be, that they demantle teams that are on the same level as them. But to say you will go bet the top 25 teams in FCS is a joke.

Stang Fever
October 14th, 2007, 08:01 PM
A good example is the Ivy League.... Most computer rankings will have the Ivy League ranked above the PL and certainly the PFL.... Why? I mean how do you judge a league that only plays 10 games, and whose OOC games are primarily against the PL? Yet, no one ever complains about the Ivy League playing a soft schedule, and most here would welcome Yale to the playoffs if they were willing to play.... The same Yale that USD destroyed last year.... PFL games are not easy, and USD will do well to beat Dayton this year, and I think Morehead State will give them a game as well. I would like to see USD finish 10-1 with a loss to my Flyers, but if they go 11-0, I cannot wait to hear the excuses for keeping them out of the playoffs....

I for one would tell you, I think the IVY League is just as SORRY as the PFL league, I hate seeing them ranked, cause they dont play anyone.

DetroitFlyer
October 14th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I for one would tell you, I think the IVY League is just as SORRY as the PFL league, I hate seeing them ranked, cause they dont play anyone.

And yet, the majority of posters would jump for glee if Yale "agreed" to participate in the FCS playoffs.... I have seen one prominent FCS writer call Yale one of the best teams in the country.... Based on what? Some PL wins.... Are you kidding me.... Dayton beat the first place team in the PL, so I guess that we are one of the best teams in the country and better than USD, (LOL). Remember, USD dismantled Yale last year, and they would do the same again this year.

SOS is A SINGLE FACTOR in playoff determination. The Old Guard uses this single factor to enforce the "OVC rule". Sorry state of affairs....

Frankly, I am beginning to believe that excluding a USD and the "OVC" rule are a direct result of fear.... It sure would look bad for the ofer, OVC, if the PFL champion won a playoff game.... As I said, IF USD goes 11-0, and yes the UC Davis game is BEFORE playoff selection this year, the excuses will start to fly....

First, however, USD has get to 11-0, and I think that in addition to UCD, Dayton and the other PFL teams on their schedule might just have something to say....

USDFAN_55
October 14th, 2007, 08:57 PM
And yet, the majority of posters would jump for glee if Yale "agreed" to participate in the FCS playoffs.... I have seen one prominent FCS writer call Yale one of the best teams in the country.... Based on what? Some PL wins.... Are you kidding me.... Dayton beat the first place team in the PL, so I guess that we are one of the best teams in the country and better than USD, (LOL). Remember, USD dismantled Yale last year, and they would do the same again this year.

SOS is A SINGLE FACTOR in playoff determination. The Old Guard uses this single factor to enforce the "OVC rule". Sorry state of affairs....

Frankly, I am beginning to believe that excluding a USD and the "OVC" rule are a direct result of fear.... It sure would look bad for the ofer, OVC, if the PFL champion won a playoff game.... As I said, IF USD goes 11-0, and yes the UC Davis game is BEFORE playoff selection this year, the excuses will start to fly....

First, however, USD has get to 11-0, and I think that in addition to UCD, Dayton and the other PFL teams on their schedule might just have something to say....

Hypocrisy on this board?xeekx No wayxrotatehx

Stang Fever
October 14th, 2007, 09:51 PM

Its is one of many factors, but you think every factor is even. SOS is a LARGE FACTOR so dont try to under cut that. Letting USD in the playoffs would set precedent never seen before. It would through crap in the faces of ALL the other teams, that go out and actually try to play people good, to strengthen there strength of schedule so they can make it into the Playoffs....

11-0 means nothing!!! if it comes against nobodies..to compare your schedule and how you brag about how good you are, would be like a High school varsity team saying they are the greatest because they beat everyones JV team...I for one believe you are going to beat DAVIS, I am going to say it NOW. and I still will say having only 2 quality wins to think of doesnt get you in.

You made your bed, now sleep in it. You knew what happened last year, and you guys DID NOTHING!!! to fix it.

IVY LEAGUE is overratted, they play nobodies, and deserve nothing. when they just like you, start to play teams other then PLC teams. Then i will say something.

to give you guys credit, you will havve two wins over Great West Football conference. But to bad for you, both of those teams will be under .500.
not your fault on that one, but it just tells you how sorry your SOS is.

Tod
October 14th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I say that if USD wins out, and wins big (as they have been) they have a shot at the playoffs.

xtwocentsx

Stang Fever
October 14th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I say that if USD wins out, and wins big (as they have been) they have a shot at the playoffs.

xtwocentsx

its the same shot they had last year. Maybe 5-10 percentage points better. and thats a maybe.

I would love for them to get in. if they had played some good teams, cause I am dieing to see what Johnson can do against the best, and not the cream puffs. we already know he can dominate those guys. Send them up to UNI or Montana

USDFAN_55
October 14th, 2007, 11:53 PM
its the same shot they had last year. Maybe 5-10 percentage points better. and thats a maybe.

I would love for them to get in. if they had played some good teams, cause I am dieing to see what Johnson can do against the best, and not the cream puffs. we already know he can dominate those guys. Send them up to UNI or Montana

He'll be in the east west shrine game, so we can all see how he does against some of the best college players (including BCS players). I would love to se them in the play-offs, but it would take them going undefeated and having a few bubble teams losing.

pantherfan
October 15th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Well I'm on the San Diego bandwagon right now! Send em to the Dome in the First Round; they won't want to see the playoffs again.xlolx Or to Missoula...or App. State...or SIU...or...or... no, if they make the playoffs, UNI gets them; we called them first...xthumbsupx My position will change if and when UNI is knocked off a shot at a #1 seed..xwhistlex

danefan
October 15th, 2007, 08:53 AM
He'll be in the east west shrine game, so we can all see how he does against some of the best college players (including BCS players). I would love to se them in the play-offs, but it would take them going undefeated and having a few bubble teams losing.

Very true. Its going to take a real shake up in the rest of FCS to get USD in.

nmatsen
October 15th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Its is one of many factors, but you think every factor is even. SOS is a LARGE FACTOR so dont try to under cut that. Letting USD in the playoffs would set precedent never seen before. It would through crap in the faces of ALL the other teams, that go out and actually try to play people good, to strengthen there strength of schedule so they can make it into the Playoffs....

11-0 means nothing!!! if it comes against nobodies..to compare your schedule and how you brag about how good you are, would be like a High school varsity team saying they are the greatest because they beat everyones JV team...I for one believe you are going to beat DAVIS, I am going to say it NOW. and I still will say having only 2 quality wins to think of doesnt get you in.

You made your bed, now sleep in it. You knew what happened last year, and you guys DID NOTHING!!! to fix it.

IVY LEAGUE is overratted, they play nobodies, and deserve nothing. when they just like you, start to play teams other then PLC teams. Then i will say something.

to give you guys credit, you will havve two wins over Great West Football conference. But to bad for you, both of those teams will be under .500.
not your fault on that one, but it just tells you how sorry your SOS is.

Well said, what did SD do to show they are a playoff team? I personally could be convinced that they are (possibly, very big possibly) deserving of a playoff spot. But as said above, their schedule was not good enough to get them in last year (well, they didn't beat UC Davis) and what did they do to change that? Nothing! Why not call Montana and say, hey we will come up and play. When do you want us? Or call Cal Poly or Northern Arizona and say "do you want us to come play you?" Sure you might have to play these games on the road to establish yourselves but if you win, you are in! Now, you just have to sit back, wait til you are excluded (again) and grip about it for the next 7 months. Hopefully SD will learn their lesson this year and fix their schedule. I for one am getting tired of this argument.

GoAgs72
October 15th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I would say give USD a chance if they win out convincingly the rest of the way. UC Davis is certainly better than the rest of the teams USD plays but they are not very good this particular year with a slug of injured players in a rebuilding year. Beat UC Davis by several TD's at an away game and the situation looks better for you.

GannonFan
October 15th, 2007, 10:41 AM
I feel for the players on San Diego - I don't have a doubt that San Diego could end up as one of the top 16 teams in the country, and I'd pick them to win a first round game even at Montana - HOWEVER, again, USD has been let down by their own administration by allowing that travesty of a schedule to exist. Three OOC games and the best they can come up with is Azuza, Northern Colorado, and UC Davis??? First of all, you don't need a patsy game against Azuza because you already play in a patsy conference. The Big Sky has been ripped for adding the football disaster that is Northern Colorado so no credit there, and UC Davis, granted no fault of USD's, just isn't that good this year - they could be a 3 or 4 win team at the end of the year.

Getting into the playoffs takes two things - being recognized as deserving to be in the playoffs (what people think of you) and proving it on the field. I'll go on record saying that USD would be a very credible playoff team and I think they could easily pick off one of the weaker opening round teams. However, with that schedule, they haven't and won't prove a thing. They can and will go 11-0 against that schedule, but I could pick out at least 30 teams that could do the same with that schedule. They got rejected last year because of the bad schedule and they did nothing to significantly improve it this year. That's what the shame is - 3 OOC games and they only picked one credible opponent, and that opponent, unfortunately, just isn't that good this year.

USD will be sitting home again come the playoffs and the only finger pointing should be at their administration who let a talented group of players, and a great QB, pass through without giving them a shot at proving how good they really are. xsmhx

danefan
October 15th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I feel for the players on San Diego - I don't have a doubt that San Diego could end up as one of the top 16 teams in the country, and I'd pick them to win a first round game even at Montana - HOWEVER, again, USD has been let down by their own administration by allowing that travesty of a schedule to exist. Three OOC games and the best they can come up with is Azuza, Northern Colorado, and UC Davis??? First of all, you don't need a patsy game against Azuza because you already play in a patsy conference. The Big Sky has been ripped for adding the football disaster that is Northern Colorado so no credit there, and UC Davis, granted no fault of USD's, just isn't that good this year - they could be a 3 or 4 win team at the end of the year.

Getting into the playoffs takes two things - being recognized as deserving to be in the playoffs (what people think of you) and proving it on the field. I'll go on record saying that USD would be a very credible playoff team and I think they could easily pick off one of the weaker opening round teams. However, with that schedule, they haven't and won't prove a thing. They can and will go 11-0 against that schedule, but I could pick out at least 30 teams that could do the same with that schedule. They got rejected last year because of the bad schedule and they did nothing to significantly improve it this year. That's what the shame is - 3 OOC games and they only picked one credible opponent, and that opponent, unfortunately, just isn't that good this year.

USD will be sitting home again come the playoffs and the only finger pointing should be at their administration who let a talented group of players, and a great QB, pass through without giving them a shot at proving how good they really are. xsmhx

Well said.

At least they'll get to play Albany in the Gridiron Classic.xcoffeex

Seahawks Fan
October 15th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Well said.

Hey, wait a minute..........xnodx

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Most schedules are made years in advance, so how would they improve the OOC schedule drastically in one year? There is so much more involved in scheduling then an open date on the schedule. There are money and logistics issues that are major factors.

By the way, isn't Azuza Pacific the same team that almost beat Nicholls State if it weren't for a last second fieldgoal? Yet, everyone in here is clamoring about how good they are and how they are going to the play-offs. They almost lost to a "crappy team" that USD handled easily.

danefan
October 15th, 2007, 11:05 AM

I knew that would get a rise out of somebody on here.xsmiley_wix

aceinthehole
October 15th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Well said.

Let's not count your chickens before they hatch. :)

Central Connecticut (2-0) has a much easier schedule. Next week's game on Staten Island is the last NEC road game for the Blue Devils. They then have home games vs. Monmouth, SHU, and UA in the finale. (CCSU travels to SBU for a non-league game)

Albany plays 4 of its next 5 conference games on the road!!! The Danes have to play at SFPA, Wagner, Monmouth, and of course CCSU. In 2 weeks RMU is your only home game.

The NEC title (and a trip to San Diego) could very well come down to the final game in New Britain. xthumbsupx

aceinthehole
October 15th, 2007, 11:11 AM

Agreed :D The CCSU/Wagner game is very big!

Khan4Cats
October 15th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Impressive win by San Diego. However, it's looking like a year in which no teams will have a chance at the playoffs with fewer than 8 D-I wins (excluding auto-bids) so San Diego will be in a tough spot when compared to other teams even 11-0 vs 8-3 (especially a likelihood of 2-3 CAA teams to determine with). It would be interesting to see them get a shot, but they will probably have to get through McNeese, Montana, or UNI.

GannonFan
October 15th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Most schedules are made years in advance, so how would they improve the OOC schedule drastically in one year? There is so much more involved in scheduling then an open date on the schedule. There are money and logistics issues that are major factors.

By the way, isn't Azuza Pacific the same team that almost beat Nicholls State if it weren't for a last second fieldgoal? Yet, everyone in here is clamoring about how good they are and how they are going to the play-offs. They almost lost to a "crappy team" that USD handled easily.

The schedule thing doesn't fly as there are always plenty of teams scrambling to fill scheduling holes every year. The Great West struggles to find teams every year because they need to schedule so many OOC games and even the Big Sky has issues from now and then. Heck, Northern Arizona had to trek all the way across the country to Appy St because they couldn't fill a hole in their schedule. And none of those teams would be huge travel costs for San Diego, certainly not any more than even their own conference games. It's a matter of priority - if you want the good schedule you may have to travel a bit to find it. If you can't afford it or just don't want to, then you can't complain when it comes playoff time and you're left out because you wanted to save some money during the year. Oh, and you need to travel in the playoffs as well - if USD is that concerned about travel costs and the like maybe it's better they don't get in the playoffs as that's bound to cost them something.

As for Azuza, they're not very good. USD beat them by 10, and Nicholls beat them by 2. But Nicholls at least has other things going for them - they did play two FBS teams this year (Rice and Nevada) and actually beat one of them. USD can't hang their hat on anything like that since they don't schedule that way. With that being said, Nicholls is a long way from being a certainty to make the playoffs - McNeese St (omg, another good team - who does their scheduling??) looms large, and if Nicholls ends up with another loss along the way after that then they're out of the playoffs too.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 11:32 AM
The schedule thing doesn't fly as there are always plenty of teams scrambling to fill scheduling holes every year. The Great West struggles to find teams every year because they need to schedule so many OOC games and even the Big Sky has issues from now and then. Heck, Northern Arizona had to trek all the way across the country to Appy St because they couldn't fill a hole in their schedule. And none of those teams would be huge travel costs for San Diego, certainly not any more than even their own conference games. It's a matter of priority - if you want the good schedule you may have to travel a bit to find it. If you can't afford it or just don't want to, then you can't complain when it comes playoff time and you're left out because you wanted to save some money during the year. Oh, and you need to travel in the playoffs as well - if USD is that concerned about travel costs and the like maybe it's better they don't get in the playoffs as that's bound to cost them something.

As for Azuza, they're not very good. USD beat them by 10, and Nicholls beat them by 2. But Nicholls at least has other things going for them - they did play two FBS teams this year (Rice and Nevada) and actually beat one of them. USD can't hang their hat on anything like that since they don't schedule that way. With that being said, Nicholls is a long way from being a certainty to make the playoffs - McNeese St (omg, another good team - who does their scheduling??) looms large, and if Nicholls ends up with another loss along the way after that then they're out of the playoffs too.

Like I said before; yes money is an issue (Not always a cost issue; could be an issue of contractual fairness), but you have to look at logistics as well (amount of travel or academic calendar (afterall this is an academics first institution) to name a couple).

Oh yeah, USD only beat them by 10 because they used their 2nd and 3rd stringers in the 2nd half. If the first string played the whole game it would have been ugly.

danefan
October 15th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Listen I'm pulling for San Diego, because I think they are a good team, however, I think the athletic department/admins made a conscious decision here. They knew based on prior experience, that a soft schedule would keep them out of the playoffs. They made the decision to enter into agreements for the games they did, making those decisions based upon a number of factors, some of which you have named (academics, money, etc..). Those decisions had to have been weighed against the possibility of playoff selection and the other factors outweighed the strengthening of the schedule for the playoff selection.

So what I'm saying is that it's not really the NCAA or FCS selection committee's problem that USD gets shut out of the playoff with a good team. They knew what it would take and they chose not to pursue it. If San Diego was actively running around trying to schedule games and teams refused to play them (which might have happened, I don't know), then its a different story. But it doesn't appear that was the case.

Is San Diego a good team? yes.
Have they put forth the resume to be selected for an at-large? I'm not sure, but I would lean on probably not, at least not yet. A 4 TD win over Davis may push me the other way.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 11:52 AM
The sad thing is that the San Diego AD though Northern Colorado was a good team to schedule. I guess all he saw was a scholarship team, and didn't bother to do some research and see how crappy they were. Whatever happens happens. Afterall this has been a crazy football season so far.

wapiti
October 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM
What if San Diego joined the Great West?
Geographically, they are in the right location.
They have a great team and adding scholarships would make them even better.
The Great West needs a few more schools.
It would probably give them the edge they need to make the playoffs.

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 12:25 PM
The sad thing is that the San Diego AD though Northern Colorado was a good team to schedule. I guess all he saw was a scholarship team, and didn't bother to do some research and see how crappy they were.
xoopsx I wish USD could have scheduled more good teams this year at the last minute. I'd really like to see what they have against a legit Top 25 team. xpeacex

BigApp
October 15th, 2007, 12:54 PM

really? tell us quickly how many non-DI's the Ivy's have (and will have) played.

You can look here (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/conf/ivy/confsched.aspx?season=2007,sc=AF,conf=Ivy)

it's a nice ROUND number, in case you don't want to look.

Stang Fever
October 15th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I know for a FACT CAL POLY wanted to play USD, but they wanted no PART.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 01:00 PM
really? tell us quickly how many non-DI's the Ivy's have (and will have) played.

You can look here (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/conf/ivy/confsched.aspx?season=2007,sc=AF,conf=Ivy)

it's a nice ROUND number, in case you don't want to look.

The problem is that they have so many full scholarship FCS teams to play in that area, yet they stick to the PL and the occasional PFL and NEC team. Why aren't people riding them for their OOC schedule? The PL hasn't been particulary strong the past couple of years.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 01:02 PM

What reason did we give? We must have been scared to play you guys, hah? It's so easy for us fans to say just schedule this team or schedule that team...... oh if it were only that easy.

GannonFan
October 15th, 2007, 01:02 PM
The problem is that they have so many full scholarship FCS teams to play in that area, yet they stick to the PL and the occasional PFL and NEC team. Why aren't people riding them for their OOC schedule? The PL hasn't been particulary strong the past couple of years.

Because no one really cares what the Ivies do since it won't affect the playoffs. Yeah, they show up in the rankings, but it means nothing because it won't parlay itself into a playoff position. The Ivy League cares about the Ivy League title and they schedule accordingly.

Stang Fever
October 15th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Well said, what did SD do to show they are a playoff team? I personally could be convinced that they are (possibly, very big possibly) deserving of a playoff spot. But as said above, their schedule was not good enough to get them in last year (well, they didn't beat UC Davis) and what did they do to change that? Nothing! Why not call Montana and say, hey we will come up and play. When do you want us? Or call Cal Poly or Northern Arizona and say "do you want us to come play you?" Sure you might have to play these games on the road to establish yourselves but if you win, you are in! Now, you just have to sit back, wait til you are excluded (again) and grip about it for the next 7 months. Hopefully SD will learn their lesson this year and fix their schedule. I for one am getting tired of this argument.

i think the DAVIS loss, speaks volumes about USD as a whole. Even though the game was competitive they still lost. They lost to a team that wasn't even that good last year, I believe there record was 6-5 or 7-4. So you played a respectable team in DAVIS who was not even a playoff team (if they had been able to go) and lost. I believe if USD would have won that game, they would have started the season ranked, and moved up little by little as other teams lost. BUT and this is the largest but of them all you LOST

SO if you cant beat a 6-5/ 7-4 DAVIS team, how do you expect people to really look at all that you do as impressive.

BigApp
October 15th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Why aren't people riding them for their OOC schedule?

have you looked at the Ivy's OOC schedule?

Pauly LB
October 15th, 2007, 01:15 PM

That fact that USD has avoided playing Cal Poly is very well known. Also well known is the fact that over the years USD has been very careful about putting together a schedule that allows for the opportunity to win every game. In other words, they have been avoiding scheduling the really tough teams while they have routinely beat up teams such as Marist, Valparaiso, Azusa Pacific (Division 2), and others. In fact if you take a look at the Sagarin Rankings USD's strength of schedule is ranked #238 in division one football. That means that their schedule is SOOOO WEAK that only four division one teams have weaker schedules.

What a shame that the USD athletic director simply appears to see that if a team has scholarships that they will NOT schedule. That short-sightedness means that there is no way that USD will ever compete in the post-season FCS tournament.

By the way, this is the year that USD has a great shot at beating UC Davis -- a team that is both beat-up and in somewhat of a DOWN year.

BisonBacker
October 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM

All of FCS is. They deserve a chance at the playoffs as much as Brittany Spears deserves a membership in MENSA.

blukeys
October 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM
All of FCS is. They deserve a chance at the playoffs as much as Brittany Spears deserves a membership in MENSA.

Accurate and funny = Rep points!!!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 01:26 PM
That fact that USD has avoided playing Cal Poly is very well known. Also well known is the fact that over the years USD has been very careful about putting together a schedule that allows for the opportunity to win every game. In other words, they have been avoiding scheduling the really tough teams while they have routinely beat up teams such as Marist, Valparaiso, Azusa Pacific (Division 2), and others. In fact if you take a look at the Sagarin Rankings USD's strength of schedule is ranked #238 in division one football. That means that their schedule is SOOOO WEAK that only four division one teams have weaker schedules.

What a shame that the USD athletic director simply appears to see that if a team has scholarships that they will NOT schedule. That short-sightedness means that there is no way that USD will ever compete in the post-season FCS tournament.

By the way, this is the year that USD has a great shot at beating UC Davis -- a team that is both beat-up and in somewhat of a DOWN year.

Wow you musthave some great insider information. The fact is you have no clue why USD doesn't schedule Cal Poly. You alos have no clue why their schedule is the way it is. You are just speculating and making assumptions. You must work for the liberal media.xeekx

Pauly LB
October 15th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Wow you musthave some great insider information. The fact is you have no clue why USD doesn't schedule Cal Poly. You alos have no clue why their schedule is the way it is. You are just speculating and making assumptions. You must work for the liberal media.xeekx

Perhaps you can advise as to why USD does not schedule Cal Poly... The weak schedule is obvious for everybody to see and Jeff Sagarin simply quantifies all of the schedules. Simply put, I cannot imagine why USD would not want to improve their schedule. Last year, and probably coming up this year also -- Torrero fans routinely complain about respect and think that they belong in the playoffs. Why not set that up in the future by upgrading the schedule. Insider information is not even relevant in this conversation. The weak schedule is there for everybody to see. If not placing Cal Poly on the schedule, why not somebody else -- especially to replace Azusa Pacific???

Stang Fever
October 15th, 2007, 02:19 PM
What reason did we give? We must have been scared to play you guys, hah? It's so easy for us fans to say just schedule this team or schedule that team...... oh if it were only that easy.

The reason, wasn't because you were scared. but it was because you wanted a HOME and HOME. we only wanted a HoME game this year with you. it might not be a fair contract but come on, if your admin was hungry to play someone with a pulse then they should have taken it. Trust me when I say I understand (or should say sympathize with USD) there reason for not taking the game, but Beggers cant be choosers. All the reasons of logistics and cost go out the window, when slo is a bus ride away. Also Poly constantly had to sign terrible contracts just to get a game. We would promise to play two away games just to get one home. Or three away games just to get one HOME. But guess what we did it, because we wanted to be on a national stage. I cant wait for Johnson to graduate so all of this goes away and USD goes back to being just average at best.

Stang Fever
October 15th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I think people would stop beating up USD if you guys would just admit your schedule is a *****ing (sorry for the explicit) JOKE!

Jeff Sargin has you guys ranked 238th. Granted I am not all for computer rankings cause it has a hard time "SEEING" teams, but they are usually right with in some type of respectable degree. So even best case senerio Jeff Sargin might be wrong, but that would maybe bring you closer to 200! STILL A JOKE of a schedule.

Pauly LB
October 15th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I think people would stop beating up USD if you guys would just admit your schedule is a *****ing (sorry for the explicit) JOKE!

Jeff Sargin has you guys ranked 238th. Granted I am not all for computer rankings cause it has a hard time "SEEING" teams, but they are usually right with in some type of respectable degree. So even best case senerio Jeff Sargin might be wrong, but that would maybe bring you closer to 200! STILL A JOKE of a schedule.

The bottom line is that USD will only start getting respect when they start putting together a challenging schedule. Until then they will continue to get smacked and have no chance at getting into the playoffs.

Stang Fever
October 15th, 2007, 02:38 PM
The bottom line is that USD will only start getting respect when they start putting together a challenging schedule. Until then they will continue to get smacked and have no chance at getting into the playoffs.

I would have more respect for them this year if they added just one more team that was at lest decent. AZUSA Pacific might be a good team, but will give you no points from anyone, plus wont count towards the 7 wins so why the hell are they on the schedule. If they could have replaced AZUSA Pacific with POLY, Northern Arizona, Portland State, Nichollas St., any of the middle teams from the BIG SKY, GATEWAY, SOUTHLAND. I promise you I would have stopped the talk.

Pauly LB
October 15th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I would have more respect for them this year if they added just one more team that was at lest decent. AZUSA Pacific might be a good team, but will give you no points from anyone, plus wont count towards the 7 wins so why the hell are they on the schedule. If they could have replaced AZUSA Pacific with POLY, Northern Arizona, Portland State, Nichollas St., any of the middle teams from the BIG SKY, GATEWAY, SOUTHLAND. I promise you I would have stopped the talk.

I doubt that I would have stopped the talk but certainly I would have slowed down. I am not even saying schedule -- schedule anyone with a pulse...

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Perhaps you can advise as to why USD does not schedule Cal Poly... The weak schedule is obvious for everybody to see and Jeff Sagarin simply quantifies all of the schedules. Simply put, I cannot imagine why USD would not want to improve their schedule. Last year, and probably coming up this year also -- Torrero fans routinely complain about respect and think that they belong in the playoffs. Why not set that up in the future by upgrading the schedule. Insider information is not even relevant in this conversation. The weak schedule is there for everybody to see. If not placing Cal Poly on the schedule, why not somebody else -- especially to replace Azusa Pacific???

My whole point is that no one knows why except the Athletic Administration at USD. Speculate and make assumptions all you want. We are all just fans in here, and most of us don't know (including myself) everything that goes into scheduling.

And for the thousandth time..... Azuza will remain on the schedule becuase we have been playing them for 40 plus years. Kind of like the same reason Notre Dame keeps playing the academy schools even though the academies are generally very weak teams.

The reason, wasn't because you were scared. but it was because you wanted a HOME and HOME. we only wanted a HoME game this year with you. it might not be a fair contract but come on, if your admin was hungry to play someone with a pulse then they should have taken it. Trust me when I say I understand (or should say sympathize with USD) there reason for not taking the game, but Beggers cant be choosers. All the reasons of logistics and cost go out the window, when slo is a bus ride away. Also Poly constantly had to sign terrible contracts just to get a game. We would promise to play two away games just to get one home. Or three away games just to get one HOME. But guess what we did it, because we wanted to be on a national stage. I cant wait for Johnson to graduate so all of this goes away and USD goes back to being just average at best.

Sounds like a strong sticking point to me. USD was out to find a Home and Home opponent, and couldn't find one.

Cal Poly is a state institution, which means it receives tax payers money to sign those crappy contracts (poor use of tax payers moneyxnodx ). On the other hand, USD is a private school funded by private money. It sure would be nice if they could just throw money around like it's no object; such as the state funded schools sometimes do.

And Cal Poly is a 6 hour bus ride away.xeekx Seems a little long for a short bus ride.

We knwo our schedule is weak.... but so is a lot of teams schedules in the FCS. Just pointing out the hypocrisy on this board. Name recognition and past performance is what mainly drives opinions in here.

See responses abovexthumbsupx

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I doubt that I would have stopped the talk but certainly I would have slowed down. I am not even saying schedule -- schedule anyone with a pulse...

OOC schedule consists of a BSC team, a GWFC team, a MAAC team (but still FCS), and an NAIA. So that would be 3 D-I teams and one non D-I team. How many other schools this year have the same OOC schedule? I'm sure there are a few of them.

GannonFan
October 15th, 2007, 03:09 PM
OOC schedule consists of a BSC team, a GWFC team, a MAAC team (but still FCS), and an NAIA. So that would be 3 D-I teams and one non D-I team. How many other schools this year have the same OOC schedule? I'm sure there are a few of them.

You can't take the names off the teams and hope it looks better. It's still Northern Colorado (terrible), UC Davis (not very good this year), Marist (1-6 this year with lone win over LaSalle (don't even get me started about LaSalle), and Azuza. You can't get around the fact that the teams themselves aren't very good, even if you call them by their conference affiliations. UNC and UC Davis are dead last in their respective conferences, Marist avoids the basement only because of LaSalle, and all I know is that Azuza is several games under .500 - how many other schools have the same luck as USD to play so many last place (or near last place) teams from 3 different conferences? I'm sure there are few of them. xpeacex

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 03:15 PM
You can't take the names off the teams and hope it looks better. It's still Northern Colorado (terrible), UC Davis (not very good this year), Marist (1-6 this year with lone win over LaSalle (don't even get me started about LaSalle), and Azuza. You can't get around the fact that the teams themselves aren't very good, even if you call them by their conference affiliations. UNC and UC Davis are dead last in their respective conferences, Marist avoids the basement only because of LaSalle, and all I know is that Azuza is several games under .500 - how many other schools have the same luck as USD to play so many last place (or near last place) teams from 3 different conferences? I'm sure there are few of them. xpeacex

So because these schools are doing horrible the schedule is bad. How would the AD foresee anything like that. If Northern Colorado, UC Davis, and Marist (even Azuza Pacific) was tearing it up this year I guess it would be considered a great schedule then, huh? The fact is they did go out and schedule two scholarship teams (sucks that they aren't good this year, but that's scheduling for you).

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 03:18 PM
So because these schools are doing horrible the schedule is bad. How would the AD foresee anything like that
UNC and Marist?... seriously? If he can't forsee that, perhaps he shouldn't be your AD. xeyebrowx

danefan
October 15th, 2007, 03:20 PM
It does suck, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Albany schedules two consistent national contenders last year (Delaware and Lehigh) and beats both at their place. Well guess what, Delaware and Lehigh have down years. That's the way it happens. That's what makes it so tough for teams that play in weak conferences to make the playoffs with an at-large. Teams in strong conferences do not have to rely on their OOC schedules.

touchdown
October 15th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Okay all good points>>>But

# 14 Nichols state 30-28 over Azusa Pacific
USD 42-32 over APU and was ahead 42-6 with 5 min left, nichols game went down to the last play.

# 2 No.Iowa 38 point victory over Drake, Usd 40 point victory.
Okay these may be a reach but how about these.

Montana played Ft.Lewis and Albany
Cal Poly Plays Western Oregon (24-17) and Iona to end season.
Not sure who can justify what at this point, but i will say this USD is for real they have had the National player of the week on offense (Josh Johnson) and Defense (Eric Bakhitari) in the last few weeks.
They have some good players, two excellent wideouts(Doyle and Matthews), a very good offensive line,2 solid corners, a very good linebacker in Ronnie Pentz and solid RB/KOR in JT Rogan just to name a few, what they dont have is depth, that is what will seperate them from the other FCS teams but dont knock them for that.
This team is worthy of playoff contention, if they run the table.
I will keep that opinion after watching many of the BSC and Great west teams play this fall. Guys good luck trying to figure it all out!

GannonFan
October 15th, 2007, 03:23 PM
So because these schools are doing horrible the schedule is bad. How would the AD foresee anything like that. If Northern Colorado, UC Davis, and Marist (even Azuza Pacific) was tearing it up this year I guess it would be considered a great schedule then, huh? The fact is they did go out and schedule two scholarship teams (sucks that they aren't good this year, but that's scheduling for you).

Yes, it does. Your schedule is what it is. If you had scheduled Montana and NDSU, the two first place teams in those conferences, then we would be having a different discussion. But you can't ignore the fact that the teams you did schedule aren't very good this year (and frankly, if you or your AD thought Northern Colorado was going to be good then I think you really have to question your AD). And that's where Marist and Azuza get thrown back into the discussion - the PFL just isn't going to help the schedule, so you have to take advantage of the OOC games, and you had 4 of them. Scheduling those two schools didn't help at all - Marist is no better than a PFL school and would probably be in the bottom half of the PFL and Azuza (yes, I know you've played them forever), is non-DI. If you had a good conference schedule to offset that then great, go ahead and schedule them. But you don't and wasting 2 of your 4 OOC games on them will cost you. It's that simple. UNC and UC Davis can have all the scholarships in the world but that doesn't matter - they aren't very good. Like I said, the schedule is based upon how good the teams are, and your OOC is just not very good.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 03:23 PM
UNC and Marist?... seriously? If he can't forsee that, perhaps he shouldn't be your AD. xeyebrowx

I'm sure the only reson we scheduled those teams is because they were the only ones willing to come to San Diego and play. How many scholarship teams in the FCS would travel to San Diego, when they could get another home game on their schedule.... not many.

This is an AD that was hired for the most part to better the basketball program. What has he done to remedy that team; well he went out and stole Gonzaga's #1 assistant coach. Hey if you can't beat, just still one of their coaches.

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 03:24 PM

USD 42-32 over APU and was ahead 42-6 with 5 min left, nichols game went down to the last play.
Good point>>>But

Mid-American Nazarene 59-38 over Azusa Pacific and is 6-2 on the year... perhaps they should be getting votes. xcoffeex

GannonFan
October 15th, 2007, 03:26 PM

# 2 No.Iowa 38 point victory over Drake, Usd 40 point victory.
Okay these may be a reach but how about these.

Well, if that's all we had to judge Nicholl's St and UNI on then you could have a point. However, UNI gets to prove themselves even further by playing Iowa St (an FBS team they beat), SIU, YSU, and so on. Nicholl's St gets to play 2 FBS teams (beat one and lost to one) plus plays McNeese St. Basically, these teams have a lot more for us to judge them on than USD. The importance of scheduling, especially when the in conference schedule isn't good.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Yes, it does. Your schedule is what it is. If you had scheduled Montana and NDSU, the two first place teams in those conferences, then we would be having a different discussion. But you can't ignore the fact that the teams you did schedule aren't very good this year (and frankly, if you or your AD thought Northern Colorado was going to be good then I think you really have to question your AD). And that's where Marist and Azuza get thrown back into the discussion - the PFL just isn't going to help the schedule, so you have to take advantage of the OOC games, and you had 4 of them. Scheduling those two schools didn't help at all - Marist is no better than a PFL school and would probably be in the bottom half of the PFL and Azuza (yes, I know you've played them forever), is non-DI. If you had a good conference schedule to offset that then great, go ahead and schedule them. But you don't and wasting 2 of your 4 OOC games on them will cost you. It's that simple. UNC and UC Davis can have all the scholarships in the world but that doesn't matter - they aren't very good. Like I said, the schedule is based upon how good the teams are, and your OOC is just not very good.

If we took Marist and UNC off of the schedule, it would remove two home games. That would leave USD with no OOC home games. That has to be considered as well. Is there a minimum number of home/road games you need to play each year, or can a team play 3 home games and 8 away games? Has a team ever done that?

citdog
October 15th, 2007, 03:30 PM
play SOMEBODY! ANYBODY!

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I'm sure the only reson we scheduled those teams is because they were the only ones willing to come to San Diego and play. How many scholarship teams in the FCS would travel to San Diego, when they could get another home game on their schedule.... not many.
Do you know that or are you guessing?

CalPoly has gotten Weber, Montana State and Eastern Washington to come to them in the last three years.

UC Davis has gotten Northeaster, New Hampshire and Portland State to come to them.

If you're going to say it's because of attendance or money...

DelSt has gotten UMass, SIU and NWSt to come to them with an average of 3500 fans and not a whole lot of extra cash sitting around.

Teams that say others are afraid to schedule them or that they can't get anybody to come to them are fooling themselves IMO.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Do you know that or are you guessing?

CalPoly has gotten Weber, Montana State and Eastern Washington to come to them in the last three years.

UC Davis has gotten Northeaster, New Hampshire and Portland State to come to them.

If you're going to say it's because of attendance or money...

DelSt has gotten UMass, SIU and NWSt to come to them with an average of 3500 fans and not a whole lot of extra cash sitting around.

Teams that say others are afraid to schedule them or that they can't get anybody to come to them are fooling themselves IMO.

Those are scholarship schools they are traveling out to. How many top FBS schools travel to an FCS school? My guess would be not many. Probably the same number of top FCS schools traveling to a non-scholarship FCS schools.

danefan
October 15th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Hofstra came to Albany this year.

And we only have 4 home games this year.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Hofstra came to Albany this year.

And we only have 4 home games this year.

How far is Hofstra from you guys? And don't you guys have scholarships?

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Those are scholarship schools they are traveling out to. How many top FBS schools travel to an FCS school? My guess would be not many. Probably the same number of top FCS schools traveling to a non-scholarship FCS schools.

How far is Hofstra from you guys? And don't you guys have scholarships?
I'm confused as to what scholarships has to do with who will play you. Not many non-scholarship teams do get full schollie teams to come to them, but then again, most non-schollie teams aren't ranked.

Model Citizen
October 15th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I'm confused as to what rankings have to do with who will play you. Not many unranked teams do get ranked teams to come to them, but then again, most unranked teams only get votes from non-scholly coaches.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I'm confused as to what scholarships has to do with who will play you. Not many non-scholarship teams do get full schollie teams to come to them, but then again, most non-schollie teams aren't ranked.

A scholarship school for the most part feels superior to an inferior non-scholarship school. Why would they waste their money and time traveling, when they can just get an inferior team to come to them? What are the odds that Michigan would play in Boone ever? It's not going to happen, because App State is considered an inferior school (yes, I know the results from this year).

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Why would they waste their money and time traveling, when they can just get an inferior team to come to them? What are the odds that Michigan would play in Boone ever? It's not going to happen, because App State is considered an inferior school (yes, I know the results from this year).
Not a good analogy IMO. Simple economics busts that one. Like I said, DSU who until this year hadn't been ranked in forever, averages 3500 fans in a good year and has no extra cash sitting around got UMass to drive down from Amherst, but also go NWSt and SIU to fly in to play them in Dover. Until this year, all three of those would have viewed DSU as vastly inferior on the field. xpeacex

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Not a good analogy IMO. Simple economics busts that one. Like I said, DSU who until this year hadn't been ranked in forever, averages 3500 fans in a good year and has no extra cash sitting around got UMass to drive down from Amherst, but also go NWSt and SIU to fly in to play them in Dover. Until this year, all three of those would have viewed DSU as vastly inferior on the field. xpeacex

Well now you start getting into state and privately funded institutions. Sure, a state school has no problem wasting tax payers money; but a private school does not have that luxury. Money must be spent wisely.

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Well now you start getting into state and privately funded institutions. Sure, a state school has no problem wasting tax payers money; but a private school does not have that luxury. Money must be spent wisely.
xconfusedx xeekx C'mon... you almost had me believing you were serious on that one. My guess is that USD has a LOT more money than DSU.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 04:13 PM
xconfusedx xeekx C'mon... you almost had me believing you were serious on that one. My guess is that USD has a LOT more money than DSU.

And your guess would be wrong. Money does not go to sports at USD. It goes to academics. That's what happens at academic instituions. The school was only established in 1949, so the endowment is not very large.

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 04:15 PM
And your guess would be wrong. Money does not go to sports at USD. It goes to academics. That's what happens at academic instituions. The school was only established in 1949, so the endowment is not very large.
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/usd/nonsport/jenny-craig-pavilion250.jpg

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 04:17 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/usd/nonsport/jenny-craig-pavilion250.jpg

Basketball pavilion. Take a look at the football stadium and you'll see what I'm talking about.

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM
USD endowment:$204,917,641

DSU endowment:$17,814,792

Next?

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Basketball pavilion. Take a look at the football stadium and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I'm guessing you haven't seen DelSt's. xeyebrowx

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/usd/nonsport/torero-stadium250.jpg

That little building on the left is the field house/locker rooms. The thing is barely big enough for a socker team, let alone a football team. And the only reason the stadium is as big as it is today is because when professional womens soccer used the stadium they pumped a ton of money into it.

citdog
October 15th, 2007, 04:23 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/usd/nonsport/torero-stadium250.jpg

That little building on the left is the field house/locker rooms. The thing is barely big enough for a socker team, let alone a football team. And the only reason the stadium is as big as it is today is because when professional womens soccer used the stadium they pumped a ton of money into it.

you play your football games in a stadium built for womens commie ball????!!!!!! that's hilarous!

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 04:23 PM

DSU endowment:$17,814,792

Next?

Not a very large endowment if you look at a lot of the other private institutions. But how much state funding does DSU receive?

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 04:24 PM
you play your football games in a stadium built for womens commie ball????!!!!!! that's hilarous!

It wasn't built for the commie ball, just enlargedxthumbsupx

walliver
October 15th, 2007, 04:24 PM

Flying to Davidson, NC every other year doesn't seem to be spending money wisely?:D

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Flying to Davidson, NC every other year doesn't seem to be spending money wisely?:D

It's not..... but that is the league we are in. That is one of the main reasons I say we should jump to the GWFC. Even if we don't have scholarships, I think we could field competetive teams every year.

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 04:28 PM
So it's on par with DSU... except the pumped a ton of money into it... that hasn't happened at DSU yet (although to be fair they are spending more money now than they ever have on football).

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Not a very large endowment if you look at a lot of the other private institutions. But how much state funding does DSU receive?
Very little for athletics. They wanted the State to build them a new facility, but it 'aint gonna happen.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 04:30 PM
So it's on par with DSU... except the pumped a ton of money into it... that hasn't happened at DSU yet (although to be fair they are spending more money now than they ever have on football).

But see the money to update the stadium wasn't from the school. It was from a third party that was renting the stadium for their games.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Very little for athletics. They wanted the State to build them a new facility, but it 'aint gonna happen.

But the state does pay for their scholarships.

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM

Not a very large endowment if you look at a lot of the other private institutions.
Wofford:$131,850,096

They're doing OK xsmiley_wix

BigApp
October 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM
scholarships are funded by donations to the school, not from the state.

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 04:36 PM
But see the money to update the stadium wasn't from the school. It was from a third party that was renting the stadium for their games.

xconfusedx Are we discussing facilities, scholarships or who pays for them? xconfusedx

USD and DSU seem to have comparable facilities, attendance, ranking, etc... but you'd rather compare Michigan/AppSt. xeyebrowx

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Wofford:$131,850,096

They're doing OK xsmiley_wix

Cost of living is a lot higher out herexsmiley_wix

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Cost of living is a lot higher out herexsmiley_wix
Can't argue that. xthumbsupx

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 04:38 PM
xconfusedx Are we discussing facilities, scholarships or who pays for them? xconfusedx

USD and DSU seem to have comparable facilities, attendance, ranking, etc... but you'd rather compare Michigan/AppSt. xeyebrowx

True, but you are forgeting about location. How many FCS schools are within a 300 mile radius of Deleware State? USD has one, maybe two (not sure how far NAU is from us).

89Hen
October 15th, 2007, 04:38 PM
True, but you are forgeting about location. How many FCS schools are within a 300 mile radius of Deleware State? USD has one, maybe two (not sure how far NAU is from us).
Did you forget that SIU and NWSt are nowhere near Dover? xconfusedx

It's only 400 more miles from NWSt to USD than it is DSU.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 04:40 PM
scholarships are funded by donations to the school, not from the state.

What school is that? You are trying to tell me that a state school's athletic department doesn't get funding from tax payer's money?

BisonBacker
October 15th, 2007, 04:43 PM
It's not..... but that is the league we are in. That is one of the main reasons I say we should jump to the GWFC. Even if we don't have scholarships, I think we could field competetive teams every year.

Sorry but our Backups would be in early in the 3rd quarter. I hope you can however go to the GWFC, they need members and Cal-Poly, UCDavis (in a normal year) as well as the soon to be newbies USD(University of South Dakota) and UND would all look forward to the practice game with you. At one point in time I would have said you might have a chance with SUU but seeing how they played Youngstown this last week they'd have you for lunch too. xnodx

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Did you forget that SIU and NWSt are nowhere near Dover? xconfusedx

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=Natchitoches,+Natchitoches,+Louisiana,+Unite d+States&daddr=Dover,+DE,+United+States+of+America&sll=39.174256,-75.524826&sspn=0.243797,0.462799&ie=UTF8&cd=1&z=5&om=1

Which brings me back my point that most scholarship teams will not travel accross the country to a non-scholarship team.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Sorry but our Backups would be in early in the 3rd quarter. I hope you can however go to the GWFC, they need members and Cal-Poly, UCDavis (in a normal year) as well as the soon to be newbies USD(University of South Dakota) and UND would all look forward to the practice game with you. At one point in time I would have said you might have a chance with SUU but seeing how they played Youngstown this last week they'd have you for lunch too. xnodx

That's right, because you have watched San Diego play as well, and can make such a comparison.xreadx Man I love how knowledgeable a lot of people are in here just by hear-say.

BisonBacker
October 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM
You will be lucky to beat a UCDavis team that is plagued with injury's this season. You play nobody. You want respect play somebody. Until then your on the outside looking in.xcoffeex

BigApp
October 15th, 2007, 05:07 PM
What school is that? You are trying to tell me that a state school's athletic department doesn't get funding from tax payer's money?

some don't. but you were referring to SCHOLARSHIPS.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 05:08 PM
You will be lucky to beat a UCDavis team that is plagued with injury's this season. You play nobody. You want respect play somebody. Until then your on the outside looking in.xcoffeex

Here's your hateradexthumbsupx
http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v109/nurshad/silky_johnson1.jpg

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM
some don't. but you were referring to SCHOLARSHIPS.

Yes, and athletic scholarships are from the same athletic fund that pays for the coaches, the facilities, advertisement, etc.

BigApp
October 15th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Yes, and athletic scholarships are from the same athletic fund that pays for the coaches, the facilities, advertisement, etc.

with that statement, you've cemented my thought that you have ZERO idea about this subject.

I'm OUT!

xpeacex

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM
with that statement, you've cemented my thought that you have ZERO idea about this subject.

I'm OUT!

xpeacex

Excellent.... one down, way too many to goxsmiley_wix

By the way.... where does athletic scholarship money come from then? Please enlighten me. Yes donations may indirectly go to scholarships, but it is all from one large budget. I'm not sure if you have donated before, but what happens (at least at USD) is you specifiy where you want the money to go (i.e. Athletics, Engineering, etc), and then those departments decide how to use that money. For Athletics that would include, facilities, salaries, scholarships, and any other expense related to athletics.

flyenhigh
October 15th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Bisonbacker is a fool dont ever listen to her.xlolx

joecooll6
October 15th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I'm a new poster here. I dont usually post, just read, but I made a name just so I could join this discussion.

Lets jump into a time machine and go forward in time shall we. Now, its the end of the season lets compare San Diego with some of the other bubble teams around the country.

Lets assume San Diego wins out.....
Lets assume Youngstown State loses to UNI and finishes 8-3. Youngstown has what many would consider a weak OOC schedule, so lets compare their resumes.

San Diego (11-0)
Top wins- UC-Davis, Northern Colorado, Drake
Losses- None

Youngstown State (8-3)
Top wins- Western Illinois, Missouri State, SDSU
Losses- UNI, SIU, Ohio State

So YSU, while not having a perticularly great schedule (Ohio State not withstanding), they STILL have at least 2, probably 3 or 4 better wins than USD's BEST win.

Lets compare to another potential bubble team.
Richmond loses @JMU or Delaware and finishes 8-3
Richmond (8-3)
Top wins- JMU/Delaware, New Hampshire, Villanova, William and Mary
Losses-Vanderbilt, Townson, JMU/Delaware

Again, not a perticularly daunting OOC schedule, but still would have many wins that are FAR superior.

Lets say, on our trip through time Elon loses to Wofford and finishes 8-3

Elon (8-3)
Top wins- Citadel, Georgia Southern, Furman, Chattanooga
Losses- Appy, Wofford, South Florida

Again, the same applies. Weak schedule, but not anywhere near as weak as USD's.

Lets say our buddies at Nicholls State lose to McNeese.
Nicholls State (9-2)
Big wins- Rice, NW State, Central Arkansas
Losses- Nevada, McNeese

Still, 3 wins better than UC-Davis.

The point is, that when you play in a league like the PFL, the burden of proof is on you. YOU have to prove that you're good enough to play with the top teams. The teams that play in the Southern Confernece, Colonial, Gateway, etc dont necessarily have to play the toughest schedules because they play tough enough teams inside their confernece to prove how good they are. If you dont challenge yourself at least ONCE to play one of the best teams in the land, all we can really do is speculate how good you are. If you dont PROVE how good you are, you cant expect to be rewareded with a playoff spot over a team that has.

BlueHen86
October 15th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I'm a new poster here. I dont usually post, just read, but I made a name just so I could join this discussion.

Lets jump into a time machine and go forward in time shall we. Now, its the end of the season lets compare San Diego with some of the other bubble teams around the country.

Lets assume Youngstown State loses to UNI and finishes 8-3. Youngstown has what many would consider a weak OOC schedule, so lets compare their resumes.

San Diego (11-0)
Losses- None

Youngstown State (8-3)

So YSU, while not having a perticularly great schedule (Ohio State not withstanding), they STILL have at least 2, probably 3 or 4 better wins than USD's BEST win.

Richmond (8-3)

Again, not a perticularly daunting OOC schedule, but still would have many wins that are FAR superior.

Elon (8-3)

Nicholls State (9-2)
Losses- Nevada, McNeese

The point is, that when you play in a league like the PFL, the burden of proof is on you. YOU have to prove that you're good enough to play with the top teams. The teams that play in the Southern Confernece, Colonial, Gateway, etc dont necessarily have to play the toughest schedules because they play tough enough teams inside their confernece to prove how good they are. If you dont challenge yourself at least ONCE to play one of the best teams in the land, all we can really do is speculate how good you are. If you dont PROVE how good you are, you cant expect to be rewareded with a playoff spot over a team that has.
Good post.xthumbsupx

Stang Fever
October 15th, 2007, 07:49 PM
My whole point is that no one knows why except the Athletic Administration at USD. Speculate and make assumptions all you want. We are all just fans in here, and most of us don't know (including myself) everything that goes into scheduling.

And for the thousandth time..... Azuza will remain on the schedule becuase we have been playing them for 40 plus years. Kind of like the same reason Notre Dame keeps playing the academy schools even though the academies are generally very weak teams.

Sounds like a strong sticking point to me. USD was out to find a Home and Home opponent, and couldn't find one.

Cal Poly is a state institution, which means it receives tax payers money to sign those crappy contracts (poor use of tax payers moneyxnodx ). On the other hand, USD is a private school funded by private money. It sure would be nice if they could just throw money around like it's no object; such as the state funded schools sometimes do.

And Cal Poly is a 6 hour bus ride away.xeekx Seems a little long for a short bus ride.

We knwo our schedule is weak.... but so is a lot of teams schedules in the FCS. Just pointing out the hypocrisy on this board. Name recognition and past performance is what mainly drives opinions in here.

See responses abovexthumbsupx

You live in a fantasy world....couple things is so flawed with your argument points.

1) Yeah 6 hours is a long time to be on a bus, but Cal Poly played SDSU and guess what took the bus down there. So it is possible to make the trip.

2) You are wrong about this whole state and private schools tuff. I dont know about other states but in California it was passed that know money from the state can go to sports except for facilites type projects.

i.e Restrooms!!! so again your point is flawed or mis-guided.

3) Who cares about the sticking point of a HOme and Home. I know when Poly was on the outside looking in, coach it went with te motto of anyone anywhere. Sometimes to get what you want, you have to bend a little bit. Also why would Poly want to go drive down to SD to play infront of a record crowd of 3,500 peopl. Thanks but no thanks. Poly trying to play you was two fold, It was our attempt to get a HOME game, and give you a chance to play some real comp.

Peems
October 15th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Bisonbacker is a fool dont ever listen to her.xlolx

BisonBacker is a girlxeekxxeekxxeekx

Stang Fever
October 15th, 2007, 07:53 PM

YES THATS WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING. sorry to bust your bubble and wake you up from fantasy world but. The state does not pay for schollies. SO what is your next argument.

Stang Fever
October 15th, 2007, 08:06 PM

This is an AD that was hired for the most part to better the basketball program. What has he done to remedy that team; well he went out and stole Gonzaga's #1 assistant coach. Hey if you can't beat, just still one of their coaches.

I understand to a point why your schedule looks like it does, you cant get anyone to come play at your place. adnf or that, I really dofeel for you guys with that one. Also the UC Davis game is a good team to start with, they are having a bad year, but I for one will not fault you on that one. WHO would have known. So for that game you get a pass and a pat on the back for trying to upgrade the schedule.

Now UNC - they are terrible, I think Stevie Wonder knew they were sorry. If it would have been possible to get Sac St, NAU, even Texas State on the schedule. MAN I would love you guys if you blew them out.

MARIST - Read above.

Putting up Large numbers does not make you a Great team, when they come against SORRY teams. Look at Poly, when they played UNC, they put up over 600 yards of offense, the QB had zero int's and completed well over 65 of his passes. Something i believe Johnson did himself. So dont let his numbers fool you.

He is very atheltic obviously.

Stang Fever
October 15th, 2007, 08:08 PM
i think the DAVIS loss, speaks volumes about USD as a whole. Even though the game was competitive they still lost. They lost to a team that wasn't even that good last year, I believe there record was 6-5 or 7-4. So you played a respectable team in DAVIS who was not even a playoff team (if they had been able to go) and lost. I believe if USD would have won that game, they would have started the season ranked, and moved up little by little as other teams lost. BUT and this is the largest but of them all you LOST

SO if you cant beat a 6-5/ 7-4 DAVIS team, how do you expect people to really look at all that you do as impressive.
someone please respond.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2007, 08:36 PM
3) Who cares about the sticking point of a HOme and Home. I know when Poly was on the outside looking in, coach it went with te motto of anyone anywhere. Sometimes to get what you want, you have to bend a little bit. Also why would Poly want to go drive down to SD to play infront of a record crowd of 3,500 peopl. Thanks but no thanks. Poly trying to play you was two fold, It was our attempt to get a HOME game, and give you a chance to play some real comp.

Stang is dead on here and you oughta listen USDFan as Cal Poly was in your predicament 7-8yrs. ago. They had 10-1 seasons with weak scheduling and were getting left out of the playoffs. Instead of whining like little brats they went out and changed their scheduling habits and lo and behold they immediately gained respect and the attention of the committee and now are a consistent power in FCS. They didn't get away with bitchin their way into the playoffs, they earned their way into the playoffs. If your school is either financially unable to go on the road and play good teams or unwilling to change their scheduling habits that is the fault of your administration and no one else's. You're incessant ranting on this subject is stupid. Your school should be able to figure out how to get this done if they want to. I personally would like to have seen you guys in the playoffs with a good resume that would make it impossible to deny you guys.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 08:36 PM
YES THATS WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING. sorry to bust your bubble and wake you up from fantasy world but. The state does not pay for schollies. SO what is your next argument.

Does the state give money to the school? Yes..... that money is then allocated to the athletic department.... which then pays for scholarships. Or do you think state schools have privately funded athletics?

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Stang is dead on here and you oughta listen USDFan as Cal Poly was in your predicament 7-8yrs. ago. They had 10-1 seasons with weak scheduling and were getting left out of the playoffs. Instead of whining like little brats they went out and changed their scheduling habits and lo and behold they immediately gained respect and the attention of the committee and now are a consistent power in FCS. They didn't get away with bitchin their way into the playoffs, they earned their way into the playoffs. If your school is either financially unable to go on the road and play good teams or unwilling to change their scheduling habits that is the fault of your administration and no one else's. You're incessant ranting on this subject is stupid. Your school should be able to figure out how to get this done if they want to. I personally would like to have seen you guys in the playoffs with a good resume that would make it impossible to deny you guys.

Just stating what I think (based on loose facts). Don't read if you don't like it. My point is that it's hard to compare a state school with a private school, and it's especially hard to compare a west coast school with an east coast school; simple fact of demographics.

GOTOREROS
October 15th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Just stating what I think (based on loose facts). Don't read if you don't like it. My point is that it's hard to compare a state school with a private school, and it's especially hard to compare a west coast school with an east coast school; simple fact of demographics.

People would be shocked to learn it costs $45k/year to attend San Diego......it's crazy.....

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2007, 08:49 PM

It's not that I don't like what you post but going over the same thing again and again is fruitless. I know you don't do the scheduling for USD but you gripe about the outcome and when presented with simple reasons you refuse to listen to the facts of why you do not get the respect you think your school is deserving of. I'm not sure you realize it but you are asking for some playoff welfare due to the fact that USD is a private school while other schools more deserving are left out to accommodate you. If your school can't compete fairly with the rest of the FCS then you are left out and that's that.

Also, you missed something with the east coast/west coast thing as I compared you to a school in your own state.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 08:50 PM
People would be shocked to learn it costs $45k/year to attend San Diego......it's crazy.....

Good to see another San Diego fan in here..... I've been getting teamed up all day long in here.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2007, 08:51 PM

No we wouldn't be as I've debated USDFan in the past and know the stat well.

GOTOREROS
October 15th, 2007, 08:55 PM
No we wouldn't be as I've debated USDFan in the past and know the stat well.

OK, other than you most would be surprised....xnodx

joecooll6
October 15th, 2007, 09:00 PM
If San Diego cant afford an away game, thats probably why theyre non scholarship, which is probably why they wont go to the playoffs.

GOTOREROS
October 15th, 2007, 09:02 PM
If San Diego cant afford an away game, thats probably why theyre non scholarship, which is probably why they wont go to the playoffs.

We spend quite a bit on travel - our closest PFL game is in Iowa versus Drake. Last year we made three cross country trips to Yale, Monmouth, and Jacksonville. Not cheap...

We spend a lot on travel, and yes we don't have the biggest budget....

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 09:05 PM

What, are the play-offs like a country club.... only the rich allowed.

Stang Fever
October 15th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Does the state give money to the school? Yes..... that money is then allocated to the athletic department.... which then pays for scholarships. Or do you think state schools have privately funded athletics?

I dont think it I KNOW IT. sports are not funded by state taxes. You are just flat out wrong!

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I dont think it I KNOW IT. sports are not funded by state taxes. You are just flat out wrong!

Care to prove it.... since YOU KNOW IT.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2007, 09:21 PM

Yes, if you consider the rich pretty much most of the FCS. See previous opst on welfare.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 09:27 PM

I have read a few articles about how schools are "taxing" the student body to help pay for athletics.

Stang Fever
October 15th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Yes, if you consider the rich pretty much most of the FCS. See previous opst on welfare.

I cant give you mintues with my conversation with the AD. SORRY just impossible for me. But I can tell you with 100% certainty that ZERO dollars from the state goes to scholarships. JUST A FACT!

We have fund raisers, that private Donors give to go to scholarships. Secondly we passed a resolution three years ago. That stated that student fees would go to the support of athletics (again, if money from the state was supplying scholarships and athletic venues, why have private donors).

GOTOREROS
October 15th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I cant give you mintues with my conversation with the AD. SORRY just impossible for me. But I can tell you with 100% certainty that ZERO dollars from the state goes to scholarships. JUST A FACT!

We have fund raisers, that private Donors give to go to scholarships. Secondly we passed a resolution three years ago. That stated that student fees would go to the support of athletics (again, if money from the state was supplying scholarships and athletic venues, why have private donors).

So ZERO state dollars go to ANY scholarships at Cal Poly? I would be shocked if that were true but if you say so I will take you at your word....

GOTOREROS
October 15th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I got this off the Cal Poly website....

"Cal Poly Athletics does not receive yearly state funding for its athletic programs and therefore must rely on the generous donations of alumni, fans and community members to maintain state of the art facilities, attract and provide scholarships to the best and brightest student-athletes as well as hire and retain quality coaches and staff. To make a gift to Cal Poly Athletics or if you have any questions please contact:"

Wow - that amazes me. But it still is a lot cheaper probably half of what USD costs, and I doubt you could afford an entire athletic budget with $45k a year for each scholarship....

Cost of attendance for Cal Poly is $18k vs. $45k at USD.......that adds of very quickly....

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2007, 09:54 PM

I assume you didn't mean to quote me on this one as I wasn't arguing with you.

Stang Fever
October 15th, 2007, 09:58 PM

"Cal Poly Athletics does not receive yearly state funding for its athletic programs and therefore must rely on the generous donations of alumni, fans and community members to maintain state of the art facilities, attract and provide scholarships to the best and brightest student-athletes as well as hire and retain quality coaches and staff. To make a gift to Cal Poly Athletics or if you have any questions please contact:"

Wow - that amazes me. But it still is a lot cheaper probably half of what USD costs, and I doubt you could afford an entire athletic budget with $45k a year for each scholarship....

Cost of attendance for Cal Poly is $17,901 vs. $45k at USD.......that adds of very quickly....

Glad you took the time to look up some information. As for the 45K a year, yeah thats exspensive and its hard to fund a program at 45k a year, however. there are a lot of private schools around the nation that some how finds away to give scholarships to over 35K a year. School is about SCHOOL and I believe that should be the focus. However I do believe sports adds to the whole school experience.

Keep doing what you are doing and win....and over time your donors will give more and more.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 10:10 PM

Cost of attendance for Cal Poly is $18k vs. $45k at USD.......that adds of very quickly....

Try more like: The fall 2007 tuition for the average student was US$1,563 per quarter

Mike Johnson
October 15th, 2007, 10:25 PM

Yes, most states schools have privately funded athletics, although exceptions do happen.

hebmskebm
October 15th, 2007, 10:34 PM
I wish the NCAA would raise the minimum D1 games (FCS and FBS) requirement for FCS teams to 10 for ALL teams, Pioneer League and MAAC included. it would put to bed a lot of arguements like this. if it was mandatory, scholly FCS teams would play non-schollys more often, rather than play down. the bottom feeders of the PFL would take the place of D2 teams as everyone elses homecoming game, and the good teams like san diego could settle it all on the field.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I wish the NCAA would raise the minimum D1 games (FCS and FBS) requirement for FCS teams to 10 for ALL teams, Pioneer League and MAAC included. it would put to bed a lot of arguements like this. if it was mandatory, scholly FCS teams would play non-schollys more often, rather than play down. the bottom feeders of the PFL would take the place of D2 teams as everyone elses homecoming game, and the good teams like san diego could settle it all on the field.

Nice concept, but it wouldn't work.... unless of course there was a minimum number of home and away games you must have. Which would make teams, such as Montana, travel out of their comfort zone, and allow teams like San Diego to have Home and Home with top schools. That just doesn't happen now. Do you think UC Davis would come to San Diego, I don't think so; that is why we are traveling there for the second season in a row.

GOTOREROS
October 15th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Glad you took the time to look up some information. As for the 45K a year, yeah thats exspensive and its hard to fund a program at 45k a year, however. there are a lot of private schools around the nation that some how finds away to give scholarships to over 35K a year. School is about SCHOOL and I believe that should be the focus. However I do believe sports adds to the whole school experience.

Keep doing what you are doing and win....and over time your donors will give more and more.

Well said - I think you summed it up perfectly.....xthumbsupx

All other sports at San DIego are scholarship - it's only football that is non-scholarship.......hopefully one day that will change. San DIego is a young school, while it says 1949 on our seal the true modern day university that is co-educational only began in 1972.....we are very young in terms of tradition and alumni giving...

hebmskebm
October 15th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Nice concept, but it wouldn't work.... unless of course there was a minimum number of home and away games you must have. Which would make teams, such as Montana, travel out of their comfort zone, and allow teams like San Diego to have Home and Home with top schools. That just doesn't happen now. Do you think UC Davis would come to San Diego, I don't think so; that is why we are traveling there for the second season in a row.

there would be a lot of FCS teams (especially west coast) looking to meet the 10 game requirement, it would make it a lot easier to find one that was willing to play a home and home to save the costs of going across the country.

Cap'n Cat
October 15th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Man, am I sick of seeing San Diego threads.

xnonono2x

Stang Fever
October 15th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Man, am I sick of seeing San Diego threads.

xnonono2x

I second that!!! Lets talk about teams that actually play DECENT teams, who actually have a chance at the Playoffs.

If Poly wins out, they are in!! I still think that if they loose to NDSU they still have a shot...granted its a long shot, but they still have a better chance then lets say.......USD.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I second that!!! Lets talk about teams that actually play DECENT teams, who actually have a chance at the Playoffs.

If Poly wins out, they are in!! I still think that if they loose to NDSU they still have a shot...granted its a long shot, but they still have a better chance then lets say.......USD.

All of this is like deja vu from last year. There is no one holding a gun to your head to make you read these threads.... yet your compelled to come in here and b!tch about it. AGS is an FCS site where fans can discuss their team isn't it...... It's posters like you that make this place suck some times. High jacking threads to talk smack.xnonox

Cap'n Cat
October 15th, 2007, 11:14 PM
All of this is like deja vu from last year. There is no one holding a gun to your head to make you read these threads.... yet your compelled to come in here and b!tch about it. AGS is an FCS site where fans can discuss their team isn't it...... It's posters like you that make this place suck some times. High jacking threads to talk smack.xnonox

Lighten up, Francis.

xcoffeex

DuckDuckGriz
October 15th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I feel like people here b!tch about San Diego threads then don't hesistate to start them every few days.

Could San Diego fans be the illegal immigrants of AGS?

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Lighten up, Francis.

xcoffeex

It just gets a little old when every San Diego thread is hi-jacked to talk smack. There is a reason why there is a smack board in here.... so people can have discussions without the whining and complaining.xnodx Maybe I should starte hi-jacking other teams/leagues threads to talk smack.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I feel like people here b!tch about San Diego threads then don't hesistate to start them every few days.

Could San Diego fans be the illegal immigrants of AGS?

I'll say it again.... yet another example of hypocrisy on this site amongst it's users.

Model Citizen
October 15th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Maybe I should starte hi-jacking other teams/leagues threads to talk smack.

Is there a UC Davis thread on this board? Third best team the Toreros will play this year.

joecooll6
October 15th, 2007, 11:27 PM
We spend quite a bit on travel - our closest PFL game is in Iowa versus Drake. Last year we made three cross country trips to Yale, Monmouth, and Jacksonville. Not cheap...

We spend a lot on travel, and yes we don't have the biggest budget....

You probably should stop using that as an excuse then.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Is there a UC Davis thread on this board? Third best team the Toreros will play this year.

No, because generally there is only threads on the teams that are winningxnodx

joecooll6
October 15th, 2007, 11:28 PM

Youre using it as an excuse to not schedule better. I know nothing of your financial situation, but you (not necessarily you, but USD fans on this board) make it sound like USD cant afford a road game against a quality opponent on your "private school" budget.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 11:29 PM
You probably should stop using that as an excuse then.

Not an excuse, just a fact.

And this is a fact of a fan, not a USD athletic admin. No one on this board can answer why USD schedules the way they do. They can speculate and make assumptions.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Youre using it as an excuse to not schedule better. I know nothing of your financial situation, but you (not necessarily you, but USD fans on this board) make it sound like USD cant afford a road game against a quality opponent on your "private school" budget.

I think we would schedule a more tough schedule if we could Home and Home games. Any teams out there looking for a Home and Home? Montana? App State? Youngstown St.? McNeese? I didn't think so.

Mike Johnson
October 15th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I have read a few articles about how schools are "taxing" the student body to help pay for athletics.

Funny.xlolx That is called "fees", which is usually charged by credit hour and can happen for private schools as well. In general, state law governs the tuition rate that a state school can charge and then allows the state school to charge fees on top of tuition, where the fee rate is decided on by the school. At private schools, the school can set the tuition rate and so may not have an additional fee charged at the same time.

The biggest advantage that state schools have over private schools is that the state does subsidize the school (in effect paying part of the tuition that otherwise would have to be charged).

Note, I like USD and wish they could get in the playoffs. I just know it is hard to go against the establishment and break in.

I would love for USD to join the Great West. I think it would be a good fit. USD does provide about $4 million a year in scholarships in other sports, but I also understand how a full scholarship would be what $60,000 or more at USD and to fund 65 would require you to double your scholarship money and skew it toward male athletes. But, since most of the team gets academic scholarships or grants, I am not sure how much of an issue it is. It is more an issue of getting kids with good grades and missing out on kids that don't get such grades.

I get tired of the SOS arguments for two reasons:

1. An 11-0 team does not need the same SOS as an 8-3 team. The two are supposed to be equal factors and not SOS as some giant text.

2. The SOS computation from a mathematical point of view is a joke. If two teams play the same 11 teams and one goes 11-0 and the other goes 6-5, the 6-5 team will have a higher SOS, often 30 to 50 places higher, despite playing the same exact schedule. SOS is designed to get middle teams of power conferences into tournaments and bowls as opposed to the best team from a weak conference and the mathmatical issues with the computation do just that.

Just a little quiz for the people here. Just two questions.

(1) What is the probability that a team who plays 11 teams that it should easily beat (say with a 90% probability each) and goes 11-0?

(2) What is the probability that a team who plays four competitive teams (say 50% of winning) and seven teams it should easily win (say 90% probability of winning) and goes 8-3?

As this board says, Any Given Saturday, which means that all teams have some probability of winning any game, but over a season, the probability of winning all is a different story.

joecooll6
October 15th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I think we would schedule a more tough schedule if we could Home and Home games. Any teams out there looking for a Home and Home? Montana? App State? Youngstown St.? McNeese? I didn't think so.

The burden of proof is on you because you are the nonscholly, you are the team that needs quality games. The teams in top conferneces already have quality games in conference. You need to get them OOC. You need them more than they need you. If you were really serious about proving you're playoff worthy youd take a road game against a top team without a return FOR THAT REASON ONLY!

I dont know if its a financial thing or if USD is just scared that they might not actually be as good as they think they are.

USDFAN_55
October 15th, 2007, 11:47 PM
The burden of proof is on you because you are the nonscholly, you are the team that needs quality games. The teams in top conferneces already have quality games in conference. You need to get them OOC. You need them more than they need you. If you were really serious about proving you're playoff worthy youd take a road game against a top team without a return FOR THAT REASON ONLY!

I dont know if its a financial thing or if USD is just scared that they might not actually be as good as they think they are.

Maybe if we were in the BSC we could schedule all home OOC games against inferior apponents and rely on our confrence games (which aren't the strongest) and name recognition alone. Sound familiar?

The scheduling has nothing about being scared. We are still trying to get a game with San Diego State, but they won't have anything to do with us. It's about our AD wanting some home games. Less travel = less academic impact.

joecooll6
October 15th, 2007, 11:56 PM
That's all well and good, but one road game isnt that big of a deal, and there are a lot of teams that arent far away. Expecting a FBS team to play a nonscholly team is a bit of a stretch though.

I agree, Montana's schedule is terrible by the way. Its actually a travasty. But still most of their wins are better than most of yours. An 8-3Big Sky team will probably not make the playoffs without an auto bid. It would take 9-2 from that conference IMO. But in the PFL, it would take 11-0 with some impressive noncon wins, which you wont have. Coming from a nonscholly conference, you have to PROVE yourselves worthy of the playoffs. Again, the burden of proof is on you. If you arent willing to do what it takes to do that, you cant complain if you dont make it.

DuckDuckGriz
October 15th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Maybe if we were in the BSC we could schedule all home OOC games against inferior apponents and rely on our confrence games (which aren't the strongest) and name recognition alone. Sound familiar?

The scheduling has nothing about being scared. We are still trying to get a game with San Diego State, but they won't have anything to do with us. It's about our AD wanting some home games. Less travel = less academic impact.

Alright well my defense of San Diego fans lasted a whole half hour.

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 12:03 AM
That's all well and good, but one road game isnt that big of a deal, and there are a lot of teams that arent far away. Expecting a FBS team to play a nonscholly team is a bit of a stretch though.

I agree, Montana's schedule is terrible by the way. Its actually a travasty. But still most of their wins are better than most of yours. An 8-3Big Sky team will probably not make the playoffs without an auto bid. It would take 9-2 from that conference IMO. But in the PFL, it would take 11-0 with some impressive noncon wins, which you wont have. Coming from a nonscholly conference, you have to PROVE yourselves worthy of the playoffs. Again, the burden of proof is on you. If you arent willing to do what it takes to do that, you cant complain if you dont make it.

I am willing.... but the university obviously has other thoughts. First things first for our AD... he wants to beat Gonzaga in basketball. If we can field a consistantly competetive b-ball team, I think he may turn his attention to the football program. He has done a lot for the football team though. Before he arrived we weren't even an after thought, and now we are one of the most talked about programs. We are heading in the right direction, and hopefully we out grow the PFL and jump to the GWFC where we won't have to worry as much about our confrence schedule. I just hope the GWFC can stay together long enough for USD to get it's act together and join the GWFC.

YaleFootballFan
October 16th, 2007, 12:06 AM

Some of the Ivies do play CAA teams every year: Dartmouth plays UNH, Brown plays URI and Penn plays Villanova. Harvard occasionally plays Northeastern and up until '99, Yale played UConn every year.

The Patriot and Ivy have had a close knit relationship for quite a while, so the two leagues playing each other isn't anything new. It just so happens that BOTH leagues are having a down year this season, and it's been a while since we've seen that happen.

joecooll6
October 16th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I am willing.... but the university obviously has other thoughts. First things first for our AD... he wants to beat Gonzaga in basketball. If we can field a consistantly competetive b-ball team, I think he may turn his attention to the football program. He has done a lot for the football team though. Before he arrived we weren't even an after thought, and now we are one of the most talked about programs. We are heading in the right direction, and hopefully we out grow the PFL and jump to the GWFC where we won't have to worry as much about our confrence schedule. I just hope the GWFC can stay together long enough for USD to get it's act together and join the GWFC.

Great. However, he didnt do what it took to make the playoffs in the FCS. Thats fine if his priorities are different, if he's more worried about basketball fine. But isnt a legitimate excuse, and it wont help get you in the playoffs. Until the day comes when you have schollies and are in the GWFC, or you are good enough without schollies and schedule and beat good teams to prove it, youll have to be satisfied with the Gridiron Classic. I really like your unis though.

PS- This is coming from a guy that grew up watching Pioneer League Football in his hometown.

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Great. However, he didnt do what it took to make the playoffs in the FCS. Thats fine if his priorities are different, if he's more worried about basketball fine. But isnt a legitimate excuse, and it wont help get you in the playoffs. Until the day comes when you have schollies and are in the GWFC, or you are good enough without schollies and schedule and beat good teams to prove it, youll have to be satisfied with the Gridiron Classic. I really like your unis though.

PS- This is coming from a guy that grew up watching Pioneer League Football in his hometown.

The other thing we may have going for us is if we enter the play-off selection time undefeated again (2nd year in a row). Some of the commitee members may take notice and give us a shot; all be it a long one. There's always hope right?xnodx

GWFC first, schollies second. Just my opinion, but I think it will go in that order if it does hapen. Or we could end up giving scholarship equivalencies like the PL does, which wouldn't affect title IX crap.

YaleFootballFan
October 16th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Because no one really cares what the Ivies do since it won't affect the playoffs. Yeah, they show up in the rankings, but it means nothing because it won't parlay itself into a playoff position. The Ivy League cares about the Ivy League title and they schedule accordingly.

Exactly.

Yale being ranked is nice and all, but the reality of it is it means squat.

What matters to us is beating the teams on our schedule, winning the Ivy title and beating Harvard. If we do all of that, we're on cloud nine.

Now, if we were able to participate in the FCS playoffs and play for a National Championship, then it's a completely different story.....

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Exactly.

Yale being ranked is nice and all, but the reality of it is it means squat.

What matters to us is beating the teams on our schedule, winning the Ivy title and beating Harvard. If we do all of that, we're on cloud nine.

Now, if we were able to participate in the FCS playoffs and play for a National Championship, then it's a completely different story.....

I guess you guys could have a one win season ( a win over Harvard), and still feel like it was a good season. xnodx

BisonBacker
October 16th, 2007, 06:25 AM
BisonBacker is a girlxeekxxeekxxeekx

Goes to show what little they know. xlolx
Makes me a little worried about a few USD fans. Guess that left coast living has affected them xlolx Time to get out of the sun guys your definelty half baked xnodx

BisonBacker
October 16th, 2007, 06:27 AM

What does that have to do with getting into the playoffs?

BisonBacker
October 16th, 2007, 06:29 AM

HAHA too funny, First you guys whine about it costing 45k to attend your glorious university and then this comment? You have to be kidding me.xnonox

YoUDeeMan
October 16th, 2007, 08:50 AM

Hey, feel free to chime in on the DSU-UD thread. :D xsmiley_wix xpeacex

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 08:53 AM
What does that have to do with getting into the playoffs?

He was talking about one of the hurdles at USD to go scholarship.

HAHA too funny, First you guys whine about it costing 45k to attend your glorious university and then this comment? You have to be kidding me.xnonox

If you read the coment that was about you would undestand what it means. How about you try reading the thread before you make comments that make no sense.xthumbsupx

GOTOREROS
October 16th, 2007, 09:17 AM

Well, I guess your brain must be frozen from living in the frozen tundra.....I was talking about the cost of a schoalrship with relation to funding of our football program....trying reading my comments within context next time....xnonono2x

Mike Johnson
October 16th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Just a little quiz for the people here. Just two questions.

(1) What is the probability that a team who plays 11 teams that it should easily beat (say with a 90% probability each) and goes 11-0?

(2) What is the probability that a team who plays four competitive teams (say 50% of winning) and seven teams it should easily win (say 90% probability of winning) and goes 8-3?

As this board says, Any Given Saturday, which means that all teams have some probability of winning any game, but over a season, the probability of winning all is a different story.

Nobody took me up on this quiz, so here are the answers. (1), a team with a 90% probability of defeating each of 11 opponents has a 31% probability of going 11-0. (2) a team with 4 competitive opponents (50% probability of winning) and 7 with a 90% probability of winning has a 75% probability of going at least 8-3. Mathematically, and contrary to conventional wisdom, running the table on a slate of weak opponents is actually significantly more impressive than going 8-3 against a field with four competitive teams.

But, the point is that that is not the perception of most fans. And that is not how the mathematics of the SOS are used, which will give that same 8-3 team an advantage over the 11-0 team.

Not only that, but if a conference has four teams at the top that are competitive with each other and each plays one non-conference team that is competitive (and the rest not competitive), there is a higher probability that that conference will have 3 teams at least 8-3 with a similar SOS than the conference with one team in a dominate position getting that one team in a position to be included (i.e., 11-0) and you will see every year the first conference have about three teams in a good position for the playoffs, while the conference with one good team vs the rest patsies will not run the table most of the time and a single loss to a bad team will be remembered as proof that the good team was not good.

The ideal conference has three to four teams that are much better than the rest and the good teams play one good team in non-conference play and the rest patsies. Such a conference will always do well in getting teams to post season, year in and year out. A conference where most teams are competitive with each other or a conference with one good team and the rest bad are at a significant disadvantage compared to the ideal conference. Is that fair? No. But, it is the reality of the situation.

joecooll6
October 16th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Nobody took me up on this quiz, so here are the answers. (1), a team with a 90% probability of defeating each of 11 opponents has a 31% probability of going 11-0. (2) a team with 4 competitive opponents (50% probability of winning) and 7 with a 90% probability of winning has a 75% probability of going at least 8-3. Mathematically, and contrary to conventional wisdom, running the table on a slate of weak opponents is actually significantly more impressive than going 8-3 against a field with four competitive teams.

But, the point is that that is not the perception of most fans. And that is not how the mathematics of the SOS are used, which will give that same 8-3 team an advantage over the 11-0 team.

Not only that, but if a conference has four teams at the top that are competitive with each other and each plays one non-conference team that is competitive (and the rest not competitive), there is a higher probability that that conference will have 3 teams at least 8-3 with a similar SOS than the conference with one team in a dominate position getting that one team in a position to be included (i.e., 11-0) and you will see every year the first conference have about three teams in a good position for the playoffs, while the conference with one good team vs the rest patsies will not run the table most of the time and a single loss to a bad team will be remembered as proof that the good team was not good.

The ideal conference has three to four teams that are much better than the rest and the good teams play one good team in non-conference play and the rest patsies. Such a conference will always do well in getting teams to post season, year in and year out. A conference where most teams are competitive with each other or a conference with one good team and the rest bad are at a significant disadvantage compared to the ideal conference. Is that fair? No. But, it is the reality of the situation.

First, a team with a 31% chance of winning all its games has WAY to easy of a schedule. Most teams have a game on their schedule that they have less than a 31% chance of winning in itself. Any team that has the other schedule also has a very weak schedule and probably wouldnt make the playoffs with an 8-3 record. If you have 7 games in which you have a 90% chance to win, your schedule is too easy.

I thought about answering your quiz originally, but I didnt know how to find the probability of the second scenario. How do you do it?

89Hen
October 16th, 2007, 10:24 AM
xcoffeex Trying to use stats to defend going 11-0 with a weak schedule has a 10% chance of having any credibilty.

flyenhigh
October 16th, 2007, 10:39 AM
joecooll6;693576]I'm a new poster here. I dont usually post, just read, but I made a name just so I could join this discussion.

San Diego (11-0)
Losses- None

Youngstown State (8-3)

Richmond (8-3)

Elon (8-3)

Nicholls State (9-2)
Losses- Nevada, McNeese

The point is, that when you play in a league like the PFL, the burden of proof is on you. YOU have to prove that you're good enough to play with the top teams. The teams that play in the Southern Confernece, Colonial, Gateway, etc dont necessarily have to play the toughest schedules because they play tough enough teams inside their confernece to prove how good they are. If you dont challenge yourself at least ONCE to play one of the best teams in the land, all we can really do is speculate how good you are. If you dont PROVE how good you are, you cant expect to be rewareded with a playoff spot over a team that has[/SIZE].

This is a fantastic summary. The bottom line is that USD does not deserve a playoff spot OVER a team that has better quality wins. But, they do deserve a spot in the playoffs to showcase what they have. Confused?

Think of it this way...if Hawaii wins out do they deserve a shot at the championship bowl game? In my opinion not at all but at the same time they deserve a shot at proving they belong via a bowl game. Virtually the same predicament USD is in.

That being said, it is important to increase the playoff bracket to allow teams like USD a shot in the playoffs. I have said this many times before but every year a team from the PFL or NEC has a legitimate argument to belong in the playoffs (Dayton, Albany, Drake, Monmouth etc etc). Allowing an auto bid for each conf. would resolve everything in the world regarding this topic.

Patriot League has an auto bid and is well deserved because they are part 1AA. Their schedules are not super strong. PFL and NEC also deserve an auto bid simply bc they are playing in a 1AA conf.

So in conclusion does San Diego deserve to get in the playoffs if they win out? YES but do they deserve to get in over a team that has better wins? NO

-Change is needed in 1AA-

blukeys
October 16th, 2007, 10:42 AM
GWFC first, schollies second. Just my opinion, but I think it will go in that order if it does hapen. Or we could end up giving scholarship equivalencies like the PL does, which wouldn't affect title IX crap.

The equivalencies or "Grants in Aid" used by the PL and the Ivies are treated exactly the same as scholarships for the purposes of measuring a schools compliance with the legal requirements for gender equity under Title IX.

89Hen
October 16th, 2007, 10:47 AM
That being said, it is important to increase the playoff bracket to allow teams like USD a shot in the playoffs. I have said this many times before but every year a team from the PFL or NEC has a legitimate argument to belong in the playoffs (Dayton, Albany, Drake, Monmouth etc etc). Allowing an auto bid for each conf. would resolve everything in the world regarding this topic.
Would resolve everything for the PFL and NEC... not everything in I-AA.

MR. CHICKEN
October 16th, 2007, 10:49 AM
DON'T UNDERAH ESTIMATE DUH PATRIOT LEAGUE.......TEAMS WHO HAVE DRAWN 'EM IN DUH PLAYOFFS....xnodx..WILL ATEST!

GannonFan
October 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Of course, having a schedule that actually involves playing challenging games would resolve everything too, but that would involve change on USD's part, which apparently they are still unwilling to do. Hence we're left with a schedule of the PFL along with N. Colorado, UC Davis, Marist, and Azuza and USD is looking in on the playoffs once again. Play some good teams, beat them, it's really that easy. xpeacex

danefan
October 16th, 2007, 11:55 AM
This is a fantastic summary. The bottom line is that USD does not deserve a playoff spot OVER a team that has better quality wins. But, they do deserve a spot in the playoffs to showcase what they have. Confused?

Think of it this way...if Hawaii wins out do they deserve a shot at the championship bowl game? In my opinion not at all but at the same time they deserve a shot at proving they belong via a bowl game. Virtually the same predicament USD is in.

Patriot League has an auto bid and is well deserved because they are part 1AA. Their schedules are not super strong. PFL and NEC also deserve an auto bid simply bc they are playing in a 1AA conf.

So in conclusion does San Diego deserve to get in the playoffs if they win out? YES but do they deserve to get in over a team that has better wins? NO

I agree. Well said.

89Hen
October 16th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I agree. Well said.
Said the NEC fan. xsmiley_wix

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Or maybe these schools that put all this money into their football programs are scared to lose to a team that puts a fraction of what they do towards football. There would be some serious questions to answer if a team with a budget 50-75% lower than yours kicks your butt. xreadx

89Hen
October 16th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Or maybe these schools that put all this money into their football programs are scared to lose to a team that puts a fraction of what they do towards football. There would be some serious questions to answer if a team with a budget 50-75% lower than yours kicks your butt. xreadx
Or maybe any expansion to the playoffs would benefit the schools that put all this money into their football programs even more than those that put a fraction of what they do towards football and they STILL don't think it's a good idea. xcoffeex

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Or maybe any expansion to the playoffs would benefit the schools that put all this money into their football programs even more than those that put a fraction of what they do towards football and they STILL don't think it's a good idea. xcoffeex

Since when does puting money into a program make you more worthy of the play-offs?

GannonFan
October 16th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Since when does puting money into a program make you more worthy of the play-offs?

It doesn't, money into a program isn't what creates the schedules that allow a team to be judged playoff worthy. That just takes an AD with a little bit of vision.

But 89's point is right - when the playoffs get expanded, the PFL and NEC and maybe the Big South will get their autobid, but a conference like the CAA will stand to win the most as they could see another 2-3 at large bids over what they get now. You could argue a super-conference like the CAA has the most to gain.

danefan
October 16th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Said the CAA fan who actually thought about what expansion will do for the top FCS conferences! xthumbsupx

aceinthehole
October 16th, 2007, 12:54 PM
It doesn't, money into a program isn't what creates the schedules that allow a team to be judged playoff worthy. That just takes an AD with a little bit of vision.

But 89's point is right - when the playoffs get expanded, the PFL and NEC and maybe the Big South will get their autobid, but a conference like the CAA will stand to win the most as they could see another 2-3 at large bids over what they get now. You could argue a super-conference like the CAA has the most to gain.

I hate to bringing up the bad news for PFL fans, but Patty has gone on the record saying PFL teams will not apply for an AQ, however they will accept an at-large invite if a team is selected. (re-read the CSN article)

If the playoffs expand to 18 for next season, as most insiders are predicting, the NEC will apply and be awarded the AQ. It is also clear the Big South will apply and be granted an AQ when they are eligible in 2010.

Listen, I think USD is a very good team and I support the PFL teams, but let's be clear the PFL and NEC have very different visions and should not be lumped together!

The PFL wanst to be a NON-SCHOLARSHIP conference of very prestegious adacemic insittutions.

The NEC wants to be a cost-containment SCHOLARSHIP conference that competes with and for the FCS playoffs.

I'm not suggesting one is better than the other, but let's be clear - they are very different!

89Hen
October 16th, 2007, 12:56 PM

What he said. xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 16th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Said the CAA fan who actually thought about what expansion will do for the top FCS conferences! xthumbsupx
Yes, and I don't WANT more CAA/Gateway/SoCon... teams making it. 3 or 4 max is more than enough.

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I hate to bringing up the bad news for PFL fans, but Patty has gone on the record saying PFL teams will not apply for an AQ, however they will accept an at-large invite if a team is selected. (re-read the CSN article)

If the playoffs expand to 18 for next season, as most insiders are predicting, the NEC will apply and be awarded the AQ. It is also clear the Big South will apply and be granted an AQ when they are eligible in 2010.

Listen, I think USD is a very good team and I support the PFL teams, but let's be clear the PFL and NEC have very different visions and should not be lumped together!

The PFL wanst to be a NON-SCHOLARSHIP conference of very prestegious adacemic insittutions.

The NEC wants to be a cost-containment SCHOLARSHIP conference that competes with and for the FCS playoffs.

I'm not suggesting one is better than the other, but let's be clear - they are very different!

Damn you for being right. I hope San Diego realizes the PFL is a dead end. Jumping to the GWFC as soon as we can is all I can hope for.xnodx

89Hen
October 16th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Damn you for being right. I hope San Diego realizes the PFL is a dead end. Jumping to the GWFC as soon as we can is all I can hope for.xnodx
Now you're talking! xthumbsupx

DetroitFlyer
October 16th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Time to set the record straight....

Patty has said that the PFL will not apply for an autobid if the playoffs are expanded to 18 teams next year, period. End of story for next year.

Now, it the playoffs are expanded to 24 in the future, which seems likely, the PFL might apply for an automatic bid. Apparently, there are schools in the PFL that would apply for an automatic bid if no other meaningful, ( read NCAA funded ), post season opportunity was available. ( The matter of applying for an AQ if the playoffs expand to 24 teams has not even been discussed by the league yet ). So, the bottom line for the PFL is that if the playoffs expand to 24 teams, the question of an autobid is WIDE OPEN!!!! ( Yeah, this is the other side of the story that no one felt compelled to report ).

For you PFL fans here:

If you want to see an autobid for the PFL in the future, work on your Presidents, Trustees, AD's and Patty. I posted an Email contact list for all of the PFL AD's and Patty on the PFL board.

joecooll6
October 16th, 2007, 02:13 PM

I understand what youre saying. However, I dont think that their first chance to prove themselves should be in the playoffs over someone who has already proven they deserve to be there.

I am for playoff expansion, and I agree with giving a playoff spot to every conference in a 24 team bracket. If the playoffs are extended to 24 teams, absolutely the NEC and PFL should get auto bids. But at this point, with 16 teams and no auto big for the PFL, San Diego shouldnt get in over a team that has proven that they can beat quality opponents.

Model Citizen
October 16th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Jumping to the GWFC as soon as we can is all I can hope for.xnodx

Have you heard anything from an official source that USD is trying or will try to raise money for scholarships? xconfusedx

BisonBacker
October 16th, 2007, 02:34 PM
He was talking about one of the hurdles at USD to go scholarship.

If you read the coment that was about you would undestand what it means. How about you try reading the thread before you make comments that make no sense.xthumbsupx

I know exactly what you meant. Unfortunately I did read the entire thread and its ten minutes of my life I'll never get back and for what. Just to read the same old dribble about USD fans xbawlingx that they won't get a spot in the playoffs for playing a cupcake schedule. I think that sums up the entire thread pretty well.
Carry on. xcoffeex

GOTOREROS
October 16th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I know exactly what you meant. Unfortunately I did read the entire thread and its ten minutes of my life I'll never get back and for what. Just to read the same old dribble about USD fans xbawlingx that they won't get a spot in the playoffs for playing a cupcake schedule. I think that sums up the entire thread pretty well.
Carry on. xcoffeex

Talk about excuses - you are making up your own for not reading peoples comments....xcoffeex

Lame. And the best part - this thread was NOT started by a San Diego fan - so take your agenda elsewhere....

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Carry on. xcoffeex

Anyone forcing you to read this thread. The title does sat San Diego Toreros. Doesn't that give you an indication that it is a thread you may not want to read?

Talk about excuses - you are making up your own for not reading peoples comments....xcoffeex

Lame. And the best part - this thread was NOT started by a San Diego fan - so take your agenda elsewhere....

How many San Diego threads are started by San Diego fans? Not many.

Stang Fever
October 16th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Anyone forcing you to read this thread. The title does sat San Diego Toreros. Doesn't that give you an indication that it is a thread you may not want to read?

How many San Diego threads are started by San Diego fans? Not many.

Don't over look the fact that it has a nice exclamation at the end. Indicating or implying that someone is Yelling about San Diego, and on this board its going to be looked at like someone is sticking there chest out about how good USD is.

Stang Fever
October 16th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I FINALLY FOUND the TWO THINGS HOLDING USD OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS.

THE OLD GUARD has finally shown its TWO HEAD FACE!!!! We can finally put this Playoff talk to an end for this season. And wait for USD to go back to being sorry after JJ leaves.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/usd/graphics/snyder-bio.jpg
ABOVE is the Left head of this two headed monster. After seeing what happened last year...Guess what he did to fix it. NOTHING!!!

2 at Azusa Pacific W 42-32
3 vs. Marist W 38-17
4 vs. Northern Colorado W 49-13
6 at Butler W 56-9
7 at Valparaiso W 41-27
8 vs. Drake W 59-19
9 vs. Jacksonville
10 at Dayton
11 vs. Davidson
12 at Morehead State
13 at UC Davis

LADIES and GENTS I present to you the RIGHT HEAD and also the heart and SOUL of why they wont get in. THERE SCHEDULE!!!

I ask you to point out two QUALITY wins. I think USD fans think that ALL wins are created equal. Sorry its not

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Don't over look the fact that it has a nice exclamation at the end. Indicating or implying that someone is Yelling about San Diego, and on this board its going to be looked at like someone is sticking there chest out about how good USD is.

So that means you must read it and talk smack then, huh?

Stang Fever
October 16th, 2007, 05:27 PM
So that means you must read it and talk smack then, huh?

I am sorry, somehow down the line you missed read me. I dont talk smack. I just present FACTS.

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I am sorry, somehow down the line you missed read me. I dont talk smack. I just present FACTS.

Well I read it as your opinion. You think San Diego is overrated, and I think otherwise. You think San Diego has no shot at the play-offs, and I think there is a sliver of hope. You think we are scared to play Cal Poly, and I think you have no clue why we don't play you (unless of course your name is Ky Snyder).

joecooll6
October 16th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Give me the number 1 reason why San Diego should get in over a team that is 8-3 and has beaten, say 7 scholarship teams, lets say 4 of which are winning teams.

Stang Fever
October 16th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Well I read it as your opinion. You think San Diego is overrated, and I think otherwise. You think San Diego has no shot at the play-offs, and I think there is a sliver of hope. You think we are scared to play Cal Poly, and I think you have no clue why we don't play you (unless of course your name is Ky Snyder).

Okay lets address all that you have brought to the table.

1)You said I think USD is overratted. Well i draw that on a couple of things. Namely your schedule (Winning does not mean you are GOOD). Pay attention to that statement please. Like most people in the sports world, when you decide to rank someone, you look at a host of facts. one of those factors is WHO did you play. Its the WHO that completes the statment above. (THE QUALITY of the WIN means you are GOOD). So Fact like I said before, not Opinion is that you play teams that everyone in the top 50 would put up those sames numbers.

an example of that would be cal Poly vs UNC (since we both played them). It wasnt hard for us to put up over 600 yards of offense, and have our QB complete well over 65% of his passes. So does blowing out UNC mean CAL POLY deserves to be number 1 in the nation..simple anser is NO.

2) You said I think USD has no SHOT at the Playoffs - I have not said that they have no shot, cause I dont vote for the playoffs. I will go on record and say up to this point they dont deserve to go to the playoffs. Because of all mentioned in statement 1. But to make it clear to you. I believe they dont have a shot because of this.

Last year they where 10-0. You guys Boasted and Bragged about HOW good you were. You guys played UCDAVIS (after the playoff teams where picked, but thats here nor there) and you were actually ranked at the time around 22. With this being your only team that could shoe the FCS world what type of team you could be against a DECENT team, guess what you guys did. YOU LOST!!! ANOTHER FACT! Granted your QB put up a lot of numbers, one number that i loved the most was that he completed well less then 75% of his passes. he finally faces a rush.

Now this is my OPINION. I believe had you guys WON that game. You would have started the season ranked. Would have moved up the polls as other teams LOST. Would be sitting somewhere around 18-20 right NOW. The win against davis would have allowed people to look passed the sorry teams you play, and take it for what its worth. It would help the claim that you guys are FAR better then the teams you play and cant help who you bet up.

3) You said, that I said USD is scared to play you- I will agrees that I might have said that, but did not mean it litterally. I believe that your AD had a choice to make. Play a good teams this year and win and you would have a shot. Trust me, CAL POLY was in your shoes my senior year. No one beleived that we played a hard schedule so we didnt get in. Guess what we did the next year??? Put another team on the schedule that was better then the team before and won.!!!

SO please my friend, dont take what I am saying as SMACK, cause it is far from it. I present to you this whole body of work to you as the FACTS. If you can prove me wrong I will except that. But for you to pass off everyone on this board as crazy and wrong is like a parent believing that his Kid has never said a swear word.

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Okay lets address all that you have brought to the table.

1)You said I think USD is overratted. Well i draw that on a couple of things. Namely your schedule (Winning does not mean you are GOOD). Pay attention to that statement please. Like most people in the sports world, when you decide to rank someone, you look at a host of facts. one of those factors is WHO did you play. Its the WHO that completes the statment above. (THE QUALITY of the WIN means you are GOOD). So Fact like I said before, not Opinion is that you play teams that everyone in the top 50 would put up those sames numbers.

an example of that would be cal Poly vs UNC (since we both played them). It wasnt hard for us to put up over 600 yards of offense, and have our QB complete well over 65% of his passes. So does blowing out UNC mean CAL POLY deserves to be number 1 in the nation..simple anser is NO.
You mean Illinois State put up the same numbers on Drake? How about Nicholls State numbers against Azuza Pacific?

There is no way I am arguing San Diego to be #1. That would be crazy. I would however say that if you want to bring up last years performance against UC Davis then I can once again bring up our performance against Yale, who is in the top 15 this year!

2) You said I think USD has no SHOT at the Playoffs - I have not said that they have no shot, cause I dont vote for the playoffs. I will go on record and say up to this point they dont deserve to go to the playoffs. Because of all mentioned in statement 1. But to make it clear to you. I believe they dont have a shot because of this.

Last year they where 10-0. You guys Boasted and Bragged about HOW good you were. You guys played UCDAVIS (after the playoff teams where picked, but thats here nor there) and you were actually ranked at the time around 22. With this being your only team that could shoe the FCS world what type of team you could be against a DECENT team, guess what you guys did. YOU LOST!!! ANOTHER FACT! Granted your QB put up a lot of numbers, one number that i loved the most was that he completed well less then 75% of his passes. he finally faces a rush.

Now this is my OPINION. I believe had you guys WON that game. You would have started the season ranked. Would have moved up the polls as other teams LOST. Would be sitting somewhere around 18-20 right NOW. The win against davis would have allowed people to look passed the sorry teams you play, and take it for what its worth. It would help the claim that you guys are FAR better then the teams you play and cant help who you bet up.
Yes, San Diego choked last year against UCD. They gave that game away, which they were leading for most of it. Happens to the best teams. Look at App State this year. Big win against Michigan, then they lose to Woford.

What's the reason a team like Yale started the seaon ranked. Wouldn't you think a team that returned 14 starters from a team that dismantled them be ranked ahead of them?

3) You said, that I said USD is scared to play you- I will agrees that I might have said that, but did not mean it litterally. I believe that your AD had a choice to make. Play a good teams this year and win and you would have a shot. Trust me, CAL POLY was in your shoes my senior year. No one beleived that we played a hard schedule so we didnt get in. Guess what we did the next year??? Put another team on the schedule that was better then the team before and won.!!! .
He has to make choices that fit in with our institutions academics goals. I'm sure we would be playing you guys if you would just do a Home and Home. He's not going to set-up an OOC schedule consisting of 4 road games, which would add a ton of travel to the seaon. Besides why wouldn't you guys want to come down to San Diego?

Stang Fever
October 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM
You mean Illinois State put up the same numbers on Drake? How about Nicholls State numbers against Azuza Pacific?

There is no way I am arguing San Diego to be #1. That would be crazy. I would however say that if you want to bring up last years performance against UC Davis then I can once again bring up our performance against Yale, who is in the top 15 this year!

Yes, San Diego choked last year against UCD. They gave that game away, which they were leading for most of it. Happens to the best teams. Look at App State this year. Big win against Michigan, then they lose to Woford.

What's the reason a team like Yale started the seaon ranked. Wouldn't you think a team that returned 14 starters from a team that dismantled them be ranked ahead of them?

He has to make choices that fit in with our institutions academics goals. I'm sure we would be playing you guys if you would just do a Home and Home. He's not going to set-up an OOC schedule consisting of 4 road games, which would add a ton of travel to the seaon. Besides why wouldn't you guys want to come down to San Diego?

Cal Poly wont come to USD to play infront of 3500 fans. SORRY makes no sense. Its the same reason why DAVIS wont come down. Same reason why NO ONE ELSE will come down and play you guys at your place. Beggers cant be so darn choosey. You want to play the best but only in the playoffs.

please dont bend my statment about comparing last years games. My point was on tis year. I am not for the motto of Team A beat Team B and Team C beat Team A so they should be able to beat TEAM B. non of that matters.
But I was showing you how even though you put up great numbers against UNC so did POLY. So that doesnt mean you are good. AGAIN you can avoid my statment. (WINNING does not Make you GOOD)
the QUALITY of the WIN Makes YOU GOOD

YALE!! F YALE. I think anyteam that plays a weak schedule should never be Ranked. I have not followed Yale this year but I for one DONT like the IVY league teams. they play nobody. SO that will never ever fly with me. However I believe that you guys beating YALE was GREAT you blew them out. But like always you can only point to 1 QUALITY win every season.

But it seems like you guys play good teams once every year. If you could only have replaces Azusa Pacific for Yale this year. with UNC and with DAVIS. I promise you people would have a hard time keeping you out of the playoffs this year. Even though I think Yale SUCKS most years.

Please dont go with we have played Azusa for 40 years. As proven by NDSU and UND. If you are not going to help me with my end goals I will end our relationship.

As for goals for the school I will tell you. Cal Poly is first all about SCHOOL. President cares less about sports. i beleive is someone wanted to come and donate tons of money to sports he would first try to get that person to give to the college first. Even if athletics did all the work to get that DONOR.

Maverick
October 16th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Here are the facts. USD strength of schedule was better last year and they didn't make it in. Don't care who they played and beat or lost to last year. The committee won't care either. This year their strength of schedule is even lower so far, so I am sure the committee will say (if that trend continues on the SOS) that they will not be selected again this year. The AD chose not to or was unable to get an adequate schedule together. Why he did not doesn't matter this year. Now you can talk all you want about scholly/non-scholly, tax money/private funds, and anything else that seems to put lead in your pencil, but the fact remains that under the current constraints, USD won't be in the playoffs. If they can do something about the SOS, or if the PFL can get an autobid amid all of the potential changes upcoming in FCS that changes but until then, have a great season and win 'em all but no more whining about not getting into the playoffs. USD has made its choices and the consequences that follow from it were made clear last year. Now back to your regularly scheduled pissing and moaning matches. xnodx xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx :) :)

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Cal Poly wont come to USD to play infront of 3500 fans. SORRY makes no sense. Its the same reason why DAVIS wont come down. Same reason why NO ONE ELSE will come down and play you guys at your place. Beggers cant be so darn choosey. You want to play the best but only in the playoffs.

please dont bend my statment about comparing last years games. My point was on tis year. I am not for the motto of Team A beat Team B and Team C beat Team A so they should be able to beat TEAM B. non of that matters.
But I was showing you how even though you put up great numbers against UNC so did POLY. So that doesnt mean you are good. AGAIN you can avoid my statment. (WINNING does not Make you GOOD)
the QUALITY of the WIN Makes YOU GOOD

I guess it just means we are equal with you then.xsmiley_wix

ursus arctos horribilis
October 16th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Well the choices he makes affect your athletic goals in a negative way and that is your institutions problem and no one else's. You seem to have a case of the "we're kind of a big deal around here" mentality going on if you think that people would want to schedule a home and home with USD. Cal Poly can schedule an FBS money game or a legitimate FCS school for a home and home and reap more financial benefits than they would by scheduling USD. They may even schedule a D2 that has no home and home to it which again would be better for them financially. As I said before Cal Poly was in the position that USD is now and they made the repairs they needed to , to fix the problem.

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM
When have I said we are going to the play-offs this year. I think I remember saying that if we win out and beat UCD easily, with a few key losses by bubble teams we may have a shot, all be it a long one.

Stang Fever
October 16th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I would argue that Cal poly's scheduel this year isnt really that strong. BUt we have our conference games to squash that. YOU DONT!!!

Stang Fever
October 16th, 2007, 06:52 PM
When have I said we are going to the play-offs this year. I think I remember saying that if we win out and beat UCD easily, with a few key losses by bubble teams we may have a shot, all be it a long one.

I will go with teh glass is half full motto. and agree with you its a long shot!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I would argue that Cal poly's scheduel this year isnt really that strong. BUt we have our conference games to squash that. YOU DONT!!!

Do you have FACTS to back up that bold statement?xconfusedx

J/K..... trying to get you riled up.xthumbsupx

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I will go with teh glass is half full motto. and agree with you its a long shot!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Like 1:1,000,000. So your telling me there's a chance?....... YES!!!!xlolx

Stang Fever
October 16th, 2007, 07:13 PM

you finally get someone to agree with one of your points but wont agree to any of mines.
I believe that the loss to Davis did more to hurt you then you care to recognize

People were drinking your Kool-Aide last year, thats why you were ranked so HIGH but once you lost, your true colors came out and thats why you are not ranked. Whats the difference from last year to this year?? Nothing you play the same sorry schedule but you are not ranked. but last year you were. I believe it will be to late by the time Davis comes around for you to rise in the polls.

MR. CHICKEN
October 16th, 2007, 07:27 PM
HEY GRIZZWOLDS......COMIN' TA YER HOUSE........ROUND 1........BRAWK!

joecooll6
October 16th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Here is my question to you. Do you honestly believe that USD deserves to be in the FCS Playoffs. Not do you think they will be, its do you think they deserve to be. If so, why should they get in as opposed to a team with an 8-3 record with a loss to an FBS team and 7 wins over D1 scholly teams.

flyenhigh
October 16th, 2007, 07:38 PM
xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx HELLO, did anyone ever think how hard it is for some of these power house non scholly teams to play good fully funded 1AA teams? I can only speak for Dayton but I assume that the others are having similar difficulties.

Dayton tries to schedule Patriot L. teams but is mostly rejected.

Dayton tries to schedule Ivy teams. Nada, recently.

Dayton tries to schedule Youngstown State. Nada.

Dayton tries to schedule Mount Union (D3). Nada.

Dayton tries to schedule Cal Poly (again). Denied.

Dayton has tried to play Towson (again). Denied.

Dayton has tried to schedule others but has been mostly rejected.

Yes, the fact is for Dayton to play better teams it is very difficult. The teams simply do not want to play UD because the chance of a loss would be shameful (so they say) and has playoff implications. Dayton has nothing to lose.

I am NOT saying this as an excuse bc that would be bull crap on my part. I am saying it is a challenge that needs to be addressed at a higher level. By allowing us a bid into the playoffs will ease this issue on many levels.

All we want is a chance is that so hard to grasp?xbawlingx

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Here is my question to you. Do you honestly believe that USD deserves to be in the FCS Playoffs. Not do you think they will be, its do you think they deserve to be. If so, why should they get in as opposed to a team with an 8-3 record with a loss to an FBS team and 7 wins over D1 scholly teams.

They keep winning games. Plain and simple. Anygiven Saturday? Not against San Diego as of lately. They beat who they should with no problem. There's no 40 point underdog beating San Diego, because San Diego comes to play every game. Winning as much as they have should be recognized. What are you guys scared of? A play-off loss would once and for all shut us up..... until then you will all have to listen to us "rant and rave" about our team. It's called having pride in your team. Don't hate us for that.

Does being D-I make you a better opponent? I think not. We can list quite a few teams with scholarships that would get beat by a few PFL and NEC teams.

joecooll6
October 16th, 2007, 07:55 PM
xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx HELLO, did anyone ever think how hard it is for some of these power house non scholly teams to play good fully funded 1AA teams? I can only speak for Dayton but I assume that the others are having similar difficulties.

Dayton tries to schedule Patriot L. teams but is mostly rejected.

Dayton tries to schedule Ivy teams. Nada, recently.

Dayton tries to schedule Youngstown State. Nada.

Dayton tries to schedule Mount Union (D3). Nada.

Dayton tries to schedule Cal Poly (again). Denied.

Dayton has tried to play Towson (again). Denied.

Dayton has tried to schedule others but has been mostly rejected.

Yes, the fact is for Dayton to play better teams it is very difficult. The teams simply do not want to play UD because the chance of a loss would be shameful (so they say) and has playoff implications. Dayton has nothing to lose.

I am NOT saying this as an excuse bc that would be bull crap on my part. I am saying it is a challenge that needs to be addressed at a higher level. By allowing us a bid into the playoffs will ease this issue on many levels.

All we want is a chance is that so hard to grasp?xbawlingx

The issue of whether San Diego should be in the playoffs and whether the Pioneer League should get a bid are two different things.

flyenhigh
October 16th, 2007, 08:05 PM
The issue of whether San Diego should be in the playoffs and whether the Pioneer League should get a bid are two different things.

Actually this is where you are wrong. They are directly related. Most people can figure that out.xthumbsupx

joecooll6
October 16th, 2007, 08:06 PM
They keep winning games. Plain and simple. Anygiven Saturday? Not against San Diego as of lately. They beat who they should with no problem. There's no 40 point underdog beating San Diego, because San Diego comes to play every game. Winning as much as they have should be recognized. What are you guys scared of? A play-off loss would once and for all shut us up..... until then you will all have to listen to us "rant and rave" about our team. It's called having pride in your team. Don't hate us for that.

Does being D-I make you a better opponent? I think not. We can list quite a few teams with scholarships that would get beat by a few PFL and NEC teams.

First off, by the term "D-I", I assume you mean scholly teams, correct me if Im wrong. And no, it doesnt necessarily mean you're a better opponent, but usually it does. A team playing 10 DI scholly teams is going to have a tougher schedule than a team playing 2, plain and simple.

Yes, you're winning every game, but you havent proven you belong in the playoffs because you havent beaten anyone even close to the caliber of team youll see in the playoffs. In fact, last year you played an average (at best) UC Davis team and lost. Thats the only credible scholly team youve played the last 2 years, and its your only loss.

I'm not afraid of San Diego. I just know, as a fan of an FCS scholly team that was on the bubble last year, had my team who had played a tough schedule and beaten many quality opponents not made the playoffs and San Diego did dispite having played mostely non schollies and no top teams, I would have been very upset. Look at it from the perspective of the team youd be replacing. I know that if San Diego would have had the schedule that my team had last year, they wouldnt have been in position to even be considered for the playoffs. My team didnt make the playoffs last year, but it wasnt from lack of scheduling good opponents.

BlueHen86
October 16th, 2007, 08:07 PM

That may be true, but we are talking playoff teams. The committee will award 8 at large bids. I don't think San Diego gets in over any 9 - 2 Socon, Gateway, Big Sky or CAA teams. San Diego probably doesn't get in ahead of a 9 - 2 MEAC team either, and there may be three of them.
They didn't get in last year, they didn't do anything different this year, there is no reason to expect a playoff bid. I wouldn't say they have zero chance, but I think the odds are against them.

joecooll6
October 16th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Actually this is where you are wrong. They are directly related. Most people can figure that out.xthumbsupx

Ill tell you that I have two answers to them.

Should San Diego be in the playoffs given the current format? NO
Should the playoffs be expanded, and every conference get an auto-bid that applies for one? YES

That would solve the problem at hand of San Diego not being able to prove themselves. However, the Pioneer League doesnt have an auto bid this year, and San Diego hasnt proven they deserve to be in as an at large team.

joecooll6
October 16th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I would also like to say that my second favorite college football team is in the Pioneer League, I like the PL and I enjoy watching PL football, but I just dont think San Diego deserves a spot under the current format.

BlueHen86
October 16th, 2007, 08:10 PM
First off, by the term "D-I", I assume you mean scholly teams, correct me if Im wrong. And no, it doesnt necessarily mean you're a better opponent, but usually it does. A team playing 10 DI scholly teams is going to have a tougher schedule than a team playing 2, plain and simple.

Yes, you're winning every game, but you havent proven you belong in the playoffs because you havent beaten anyone even close to the caliber of team youll see in the playoffs. In fact, last year you played an average (at best) UC Davis team and lost. Thats the only credible scholly team youve played the last 2 years, and its your only loss.

I'm not afraid of San Diego. I just know, as a fan of an FCS scholly team that was on the bubble last year, had my team who had played a tough schedule and beaten many quality opponents not made the playoffs and San Diego did dispite having played mostely non schollies and no top teams, I would have been very upset. Look at it from the perspective of the team youd be replacing. I know that if San Diego would have had the schedule that my team had last year, they wouldnt have been in position to even be considered for the playoffs. My team didnt make the playoffs last year, but it wasnt from lack of scheduling good opponents.
I'm curious, who's your team?

joecooll6
October 16th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Im a fan of #1 Northern Iowa Panthers!

Last season we were 7-4, with wins over two playoff teams (Ill State who lost in the second round, and Youngstown State who lost in the semis) as well as a win over a very solid SDSU, and a 1 point loss to Iowa State. I thought that was more impressive than 7-4 EIU (who hadnt beaten any teams with a winning record) and 7-4 Montana State (who's wins also wernt impressive). To be fair, we lost to a sub .500 Western Illinois team and D2 North Dakota (as well as a blowout loss @ playoff team Southern Illinois) so it can see where they passed us up. Anyway, this is why the scheduling issue is a touchey subject with me.

I also consider myself a fan of the PFL's own Drake Bullddogs, Des Moines is my hometown.

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 08:20 PM

Oh, you mean the same UC Davis team that shutout Montana State 45-0 in Bozeman. The same Montana State team the made the play-offs and beat Furman? Yeah, that does sound average.xthumbsupx

So scholarship schools will give us respect? How about next year we play Northern Colorado, Austin Peay, VMI, Bethune-Cookman, Savannah State, Georegetown, Indiana State, Idaho State.... shall I keep listing these "worthy" scholarship schools. It will be a pretty long list.

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Im a fan of #1 Northern Iowa Panthers!

Last season we were 7-4, with wins over two playoff teams (Ill State who lost in the second round, and Youngstown State who lost in the semis) as well as a win over a very solid SDSU, and a 1 point loss to Iowa State. I thought that was more impressive than 7-4 EIU (who hadnt beaten any teams with a winning record) and 7-4 Montana State (who's wins also wernt impressive). To be fair, we lost to a sub .500 Western Illinois team and D2 North Dakota (as well as a blowout loss @ playoff team Southern Illinois) so it can see where they passed us up. Anyway, this is why the scheduling issue is a touchey subject with me.

I also consider myself a fan of the PFL's own Drake Bullddogs, Des Moines is my hometown.

That explains the bitterness.xsmiley_wix

nmatsen
October 16th, 2007, 08:26 PM

No, not the 16 richest, the 16 best. Which I am not saying you don't have an argument for being. But until you start playing better oppenents than Drake, Dayton and UC-Davis your argument isn't getting any stronger. No matter how much you beat Drake or Dayton by. Stop spending your money to go to Yale and Monmouth and start spending your money to go to UNI, Delaware, New Hampshire. If you win then you get in the playoffs. Not only that but if you start winning you start gaining demand, when you get demand people will then start scheduling home and homes with you. Then and only then can you claim WITHOUT A DOUBT that you are one of the 16 best. What San Diego needs to do is very very simple. The just are choosing not to do what they need. This, and only this is why they will be left out again this November at 11-0. Thats right, I think you will be Davis handily, but it will not be enough.