View Full Version : SLC - Week 8 Predictions

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2007, 08:20 AM
TT's Predictions
OOC Record: 21-9
SLC Record: 7-2
Overall: 28-11

Northwestern State at Sam Houston State
The Demons are a mess or so we thought. Impressive showing against SELA. Sam Houston State is more than likely out of the SLC race at this point, but the Bearkats are going to be strong at home and win infront of their homecoming crowd. This game should be an easy SHSU win, but nothing has been easy this season, so probably not. SAM HOUSTON STATE

McNeese State at Nicholls State
I have a hard time going against the Colonels when they are at home. We always joke about something being in the water in Thibodaux. This is going to be a great game and if I was not busy, I would make the trek down to Guidry for this one. I'm going with the Colonels. NICHOLLS STATE

Stephen F Austin at Texas State - San Marcos
This is the ultimate pick'em in the SLC this week. Neither of these teams have been impressive this year and reading what fans are saying from both bases, neither are too optimistic about winning this season. Bobcats have had a few more days to rest and are at home. I'll give the 'Cats the win on FSN. TEXAS STATE UNIV - SAN MARCOS

Central Arkansas at Southeastern Louisiana
A long trip for the Bears down to Hammond. The Lions have shown that there is a quality team in Hammond, but I am not sure their wins have proved as much. This is the Lions first true test and I am siding with the Arkansas side. They've just been too hot to handle! CENTRAL ARKANSAS

SLC Week 7 Recap, Look Ahead:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30978

Demon Fan
October 14th, 2007, 08:58 AM
TT's Predictions

The Demons are a mess or so we thought. Impressive showing against SELA. Sam Houston State is more than likely out of the SLC race at this point, but the Bearkats are going to be strong at home and win infront of their homecoming crowd. This game should be an easy SHSU win, but nothing has been easy this season, so probably not. SAM HOUSTON STATE

I have a hard time going against the Colonels when they are at home. We always joke about something being in the water in Thibodaux. This is going to be a great game and if I was not busy, I would make the trek down to Guidry for this one. I'm going with the Colonels. NICHOLLS STATE

This is the ultimate pick'em in the SLC this week. Neither of these teams have been impressive this year and reading what fans are saying from both bases, neither are too optimistic about winning this season. Bobcats have had a few more days to rest and are at home. I'll give the 'Cats the win on FSN. TEXAS STATE UNIV - SAN MARCOS

A long trip for the Bears down to Hammond. The Lions have shown that there is a quality team in Hammond, but I am not sure their wins have proved as much. This is the Lions first true test and I am siding with the Arkansas side. They've just been too hot to handle! CENTRAL ARKANSAS

xlolx

Demon Fan
October 14th, 2007, 09:00 AM
TT's Predictions

xlolx

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2007, 09:28 AM
xlolx

Optimistic...especially after they've been beat twice in a row. Hoping that Homecoming can somehow turn this team around. They do seem to do well against NWST when they're lousy...xthumbsupx

slycat
October 14th, 2007, 01:15 PM
NWST @ SHSU - both teams have struggled but bearkats win at home.

SFA @ TXST - this is our homecoming so i predict a close ugly victory.

MCNEESE @ NICHOLLS - this is one of the best games in the nation this week and i see an "upset" happening.

UCA @ SELA - as much as i would like to pick the lions, the bears just look hot right now.

patssle
October 14th, 2007, 01:16 PM
NWST @ SHSU
SFA @ TXST
MCNEESE @ NICHOLLS
UCA @ SELA

MSU_77
October 14th, 2007, 02:47 PM

While I agree that this is a game the Cowboys overlook at their peril, I remind you that McNeese is not Azusa Pacific.

appfan2008
October 14th, 2007, 03:24 PM
why do you all have mcneese going down??? i think they will take that relatively easy... mcneese is good

MaximumBobcat
October 14th, 2007, 04:41 PM
NWST @ SHSU
SFA @ TXST
MCNEESE @ NICHOLLS
UCA @ SELA

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Nicholls is 1-6 against McN in Thibodaux since 1992.

Other than a 2005 win, they have not won at home against Pokes since having a three game home win streak with wins in 1986, 1988 and 1990.

This should be fun...

Dallas Demon
October 14th, 2007, 05:30 PM
NWST @ SHSU
SFA @ TXST
MCNEESE @ NICHOLLS
UCA @ SELA

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2007, 05:30 PM
NWST @ SHSU
SFA @ TXST
MCNEESE @ NICHOLLS
UCA @ SELA

All road teams winning? xeekx

I guess this is the SLC after all... xnodx

slycat
October 14th, 2007, 06:51 PM
why do you all have mcneese going down??? i think they will take that relatively easy... mcneese is good

nicholls has looked good this year. i think mcneese has to slip up some time and this would be the most logical time for it to happen.

JohnStOnge
October 14th, 2007, 07:08 PM
What concerns me most about McNeese's matchup with Nicholls State is that the Colonels are a physical offense and people have had pretty good success running the ball right at the Cowboys this year.

FormerPokeCenter
October 14th, 2007, 07:24 PM
The Colonels have certainly proven that they can play with anybody, but - techncially - the triple option doesn't run right at you, it runs right at the seams and exploits overpursuit.

If Lark and Jason Rollins can get the Pokes to stay focused and play assignment football, they have the speed to shurt down the triple option...

That's a big if, though. I'd settle for containing it ;)

McNeese_beat
October 14th, 2007, 08:01 PM
What concerns me most about McNeese's matchup with Nicholls State is that the Colonels are a physical offense and people have had pretty good success running the ball right at the Cowboys this year.

Is Nicholls physical on offense?
I've always found the triple option to be, at least in part, a finesse offense. There's a lot of cutting as opposed to head-to-head blocking and a lot of replacing pure physical confrontations with deception, i.e. assignment football. For example, Bryan Smith won't be blocked from tackling the fullback on the dive; instead the threat of the keeper may keep him from going after the fullback.

McTailGator
October 14th, 2007, 08:18 PM

All those one year wonders are afraid we will rename the conference, the McSouthland. xsmiley_wix

McTailGator
October 14th, 2007, 08:20 PM

What concerns ME is your consistant WORRING and Negitivisim...

GLASS HALF FULL
GLASS HALF FULL
GLASS HALF FULL
GLASS HALF FULL

McTailGator
October 14th, 2007, 08:23 PM
nicholls has looked good this year. i think mcneese has to slip up some time and this would be the most logical time for it to happen.

xnonox

WE SLIPPED UP THIS PAST WEEK AND WON BY LESS THAN 21.

THAT IS AS CLOSE AS WE WILL GET TO AN SLC LOSE THIS YEAR (OR NEXT).xwhistlex

slycat
October 14th, 2007, 08:39 PM
xnonox

WE SLIPPED UP THIS PAST WEEK AND WON BY LESS THAN 21.

THAT IS AS CLOSE AS WE WILL GET TO AN SLC LOSE THIS YEAR (OR NEXT).xwhistlex

im not saying yall are not good. in fact i think yall are a top 5 team in the country. however i think nicholls is also very good and this could be the team that beats you. that would give you one loss and could still let you win conference so you can rename it.xrolleyesx

Seat16Demon
October 14th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Is Nicholls physical on offense?
I've always found the triple option to be, at least in part, a finesse offense. There's a lot of cutting as opposed to head-to-head blocking and a lot of replacing pure physical confrontations with deception, i.e. assignment football. For example, Bryan Smith won't be blocked from tackling the fullback on the dive; instead the threat of the keeper may keep him from going after the fullback.

Two words for ya: Joseph Tobias

I think that should do it!

GeauxLions94
October 14th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Northwestern State at Sam Houston
Great game by the Demons against Southeastern and Edmond might be back this week ... but stick with the home team in a close one.

Stephen F. Austin at Texas State
The uglo game of the week for all the world to see (at least in our area) ... SFA goes to Moses for spark and Jacks almost pull one out against Nicholls ... take the Cats.

Game of the year in the Southland so far this season ... Also Cowboys first REAL test of the season ... strange things happen in Thibodaux, but Pokes should be able to handle and win by TD

Which Lion team will show up? The one that put 17 points on the board quickly against Northwestern State or the one that gave up 14 points in the first quarter against the Demons ... Can't have that happen with UCA's offense coming to town ... SLU's Jay Lucas has to get his hands on the ball more than the nine carries and five receptions he had against the Demons ... gonna go with the "Hope I'm Wrong" pick.

NSUDemon98
October 14th, 2007, 09:53 PM
TT's Predictions

I hope the SHSU team thinks it will be just another easy win too.

GeauxColonels
October 14th, 2007, 10:57 PM
All those one year wonders are afraid we will rename the conference, the McSouthland. xsmiley_wix
Did I miss something? Did the Southland get a new title sponsor?
http://courtenaycentral.co.nz/whoshere/mcdonalds/logo_mcdonalds.gif

GeauxColonels
October 14th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Two words for ya: Joseph Tobias

I think that should do it!
I'll give you 2 more: Broderick Cole.

That being said, this will be an extremely tough test for the Colonels and definitely the toughest since going to Reno to face the Nevada Wolfpack early in the season. As much as I hate the Cowboys, I have to go with them this week as the winners. I'm not COMPLETELY sure as to how good this Colonels team really is....we'll find out this week.

As for the other games:
Sam Houston State over Northwestern State
Texas State-San Marcos over Stephen F. Austin
Central Arkansas over Southeastern Louisiana.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 14th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Sam over NWSt.
--Bomar and the Pips finally wake up now that "the season has started."

SFA over TxSt.
--I want a new coach. We need to go winless to make it happen. LOL, no but seriously...we have no defense and pretty much no offense so it's kinda hard to win games unless we can get points for punting and allowing touchdowns...

UCA over SELA
--UCA, I don't understand how you guys are so good so quickly...

Nicholls TIES McNeese
--Ain't no way I'm picking a winner here. Too close to call. If the Colonels can have alot of 10+ play drives, they will wear down the Cowboy defense. The key to the game will be the Nicholls' defense.

McTailGator
October 14th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Did I miss something? Did the Southland get a new title sponsor?
http://http://jescosales.com/Animation.gif

That's more like it.

MSU_77
October 15th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Sam Houston State 27 - Northwestern State 17

McNeese State 38 - Nicholls State 14

Stephen F. Austin 21 - Texas State 20

Southeastern Louisiana 31 - Central Arkansas 28

Dallas Demon
October 15th, 2007, 09:14 AM

McTailGator, you're full of boudin. xnodx

UCABEARS75
October 15th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Sam over NWSt.
--Bomar and the Pips finally wake up now that "the season has started."

SFA over TxSt.
--I want a new coach. We need to go winless to make it happen. LOL, no but seriously...we have no defense and pretty much no offense so it's kinda hard to win games unless we can get points for punting and allowing touchdowns...

UCA over SELA
--UCA, I don't understand how you guys are so good so quickly...

Nicholls TIES McNeese
--Ain't no way I'm picking a winner here. Too close to call. If the Colonels can have alot of 10+ play drives, they will wear down the Cowboy defense. The key to the game will be the Nicholls' defense.

I understand your question. We have only been playing football 80 or 90 years at UCA.

Freightliner
October 15th, 2007, 10:19 AM
xrulesxFreightliner's Recordxrulesx
OOC Record: 23-7
Overall: 30-9

I'll try to comment on these later....just got back from Lubbock (after watchin Tech thrash A&M) and I gotta get some rest this week for a busy upcoming "Friday Night Lights" schedule.

McNeese_beat
October 15th, 2007, 10:44 AM
I'll give you 2 more: Broderick Cole.

That being said, this will be an extremely tough test for the Colonels and definitely the toughest since going to Reno to face the Nevada Wolfpack early in the season. As much as I hate the Cowboys, I have to go with them this week as the winners. I'm not COMPLETELY sure as to how good this Colonels team really is....we'll find out this week.

As for the other games:
Sam Houston State over Northwestern State
Texas State-San Marcos over Stephen F. Austin
Central Arkansas over Southeastern Louisiana.

I understand you guys have some physical players, but the comment was intended to point out that the option is not based on brawn the way a power-I running offense is. There's a lot of finesse. Usually, what gets beat up when you play an option team are your shins because the option calls for all those cut blocks that linebackers and DBs hate (trust me, NOBODY likes to defend the option and take all those cut blocks) but as many players get blocked out of their indecision (standing wondering who they are supposed to tackle) or bad decisions (taking fullback when it's the QB that has the ball) as they are by flat out getting blown off the ball by an O-lineman.

That's not a commentary on your Oline or the physicality of your backs. It's just an observation about your scheme.

JoshUCA
October 15th, 2007, 12:27 PM
SHSU is still a good team, they faired well against a very good McNeese team on the road, and I think the fact that they are at home against NW state is enough for them to get the W. Question...where is the team that almost beat NDSU on the road?!?!?
Should be a great game. I just think that McNeese is too good of a team and will edge by Nicholls on the road.
"Battle of the Cellar Dwellers" I think TX State wins.
Another road battle for UCA...they proved they can beat an SLC team on the road in SHSU. I think we will take care of business as we are playing with a lot of confindence right now...I just hope we don't have too much confidence and get the big head going into this game.

msusig
October 16th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Three reasons why mcneese wins Bryan Smith, Quinten Lawrence, and Derrick Fourroux. Enough said.

msusig
October 16th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Conference Title Predictions:
Overall, Conference
McNeese State 11-0, 7-0
Nicholls State 9-2, 6-1
Central Arkansas 6-5, 4-3
Sam Houston State 6-5, 4-3
Northwestern State 5-6, 4-3
Southeastern LA 3-8, 2-5
Texas State 2-9, 1-7
Stephen F. Austin 0-11, 0-7

patssle
October 16th, 2007, 01:46 AM
where is the team that almost beat NDSU on the road?!?!?

I'll let you know as soon as I find it.

blackfordpu
October 16th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Northwestern State at Sam Houston State - In a battle between two struggling teams I'm going with the one with the uninjured QB.

McNeese State at Nicholls State - In a battle between the two SLC #1s I'll go with the home team.

Stephen F Austin at Texas State - San Marcos - Flipped a coin.

Central Arkansas at Southeastern Louisiana - UCA is the real deal, I see no reason to pick against them.

blackfordpu
October 16th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Sam Houston State 27 - Northwestern State 17

McNeese State 38 - Nicholls State 14

Stephen F. Austin 21 - Texas State 20

Southeastern Louisiana 31 - Central Arkansas 28

A little confident are we? Nicholls ia a good team.

BEAR
October 16th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Conference Title Predictions:
Overall, Conference
McNeese State 11-0, 7-0
Nicholls State 9-2, 6-1
Central Arkansas 6-5, 4-3
Southeastern LA 3-8, 2-5
Texas State 2-9, 1-7

Those are pretty good final standings. But Nicolls has to come to the Bear Cave and the Bears have to go to the Hole. So second place could look like this:

Overall, Conference
McNeese State 11-0, 7-0
Central Arkansas 8-3, 5-2 (guess that loss to NwSt makes no difference now)
Nicholls State 8-3, 5-2 (loss to McNeese and UCA)
Southeastern LA 3-8, 2-5
Texas State 2-9, 1-7

But unless someones(plural intentionally) knocks off McNeese..we're still all playing for second. xrolleyesx ..and I'm not sure UCA can win it in the "Hole". xbowx

McNeese75
October 16th, 2007, 09:47 AM

We are quite aware of how good Nicholls is this year. I am confident that our coaching staff started preliminary preparation for this game weeks ago and started zeroing in late Sat night or early Sunday morning. Their preparation and coaching have prepared and led the Cowboys to 11 straight regular season wins so why should we doubt that ability now? Confident? Absolutly! Overconfident? NEVER

MSU_77
October 16th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Conceded; Nicholls is a good team. I stick with my prediction.

already123
October 16th, 2007, 12:38 PM
whats the deal with UCA this year?

McNeese75
October 16th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Coaching, recruiting, leadership and team chemistry - they seem to have it all xnodx

JoshUCA
October 16th, 2007, 03:11 PM

We seem to playing with a lot of confidence right now after picking up two big conference wins. We started off the year kind of shaky, but some injuries have healed and our very young team has gained some experience and our coaching staff is excellent! This team does seem to have a great chemistry and that helps alot. We have a good road test this weekend against Southeastern LA which will tell us a lot more about just how good this team has become.

already123
October 16th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Yea, thats what I was thinking...it looks like they are putting together a pretty good season. Do they have enough to carry over to next year?

UCABEARS75
October 16th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Yea, thats what I was thinking...it looks like they are putting together a pretty good season. Do they have enough to carry over to next year?

We will have virtually everyone back for next year and many for 2009 as we are playing a ton of true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and sophomores.

Next year we will lose one cornerback, a good one, one of three co-starters at tailback, and a fullback with two pretty good ones ready to step in. We will lose I believe our number 4 receiver out of the 7 or so we play. Also lose our punter/place kicker. Everyone else will be back including QB Nathan Brown for his fourth year as a starter.

Our best football is ahead of us.

msusig
October 16th, 2007, 10:44 PM
My only wish.....a win against Montana in Lake Charles for the first playoff game so we can get some revenge. Nothing could stop us after that win. I'm ready to go back to Tennessee.

McNeese75
October 17th, 2007, 09:25 AM
My only wish.....a win against Montana in Lake Charles for the first playoff game so we can get some revenge. Nothing could stop us after that win. I'm ready to go back to Tennessee.

Looooooooooooooooong way to go before that wish can be addressed xnodx

katstrapper
October 17th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Northwestern State at Sam Houston State--I am hoping this so it will put another nail in Coach Whitten's coffin. This team has grossly underachieved and the defense, well there has been none. Homecoming crowd goes home with another sick feeling.

McNeese State at Nicholls State--Colonels pull the upset. If SHSU could put up 100+ yds rushing on McNeese I look for Nicholls to control the clock.

Stephen F Austin at Texas State - San Marcos-Who cares. Two crappy teams. Tx State will take this one at home just because SFA is that bad.

Central Arkansas at Southeastern Louisiana--After beating SHSU, the Bears are rollling. They hammered Tx State last week and should do the same to SE La.

pokum88
October 17th, 2007, 12:17 PM
McNeese has no chance they gave up 100+ yards rushing against SHSU, why should McNeese even show up?

McNeese72
October 17th, 2007, 12:20 PM
McNeese has no chance they gave up 100+ yards rushing against SHSU, why should McNeese even show up?

Yep! And we don't have any clue on how to defense the option. Might as well not even go to the game. No chance at all! xsmiley_wix

Doc

katstrapper
October 17th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Yep! And we don't have any clue on how to defense the option. Might as well not even go to the game. No chance at all! xsmiley_wix

Doc

Didnt say McNeese was not capable at all. I just think Nicholls will be able to control the clock. SHSU hasnt run the ball well all year. This game is going to be a dogfight IMO. Nicholls St has played well and McNeese has played well.

McNeese75
October 17th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Northwestern State at Sam Houston State--I am hoping this so it will put another nail in Coach Whitten's coffin. This team has grossly underachieved and the defense, well there has been none. Homecoming crowd goes home with another sick feeling.

McNeese State at Nicholls State--Colonels pull the upset. If SHSU could put up 100+ yds rushing on McNeese I look for Nicholls to control the clock.
Stephen F Austin at Texas State - San Marcos-Who cares. Two crappy teams. Tx State will take this one at home just because SFA is that bad.

Central Arkansas at Southeastern Louisiana--After beating SHSU, the Bears are rollling. They hammered Tx State last week and should do the same to SE La.

The Colonels better control the clock if they expect to stay in this game xwhistlex

msupokes1
October 17th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Sam Houston has put up 100 yards rushing on everyone one they have played so far. In fact they averaged more per carry on NDSU (5.04) than on McNeese (4.85).

patssle
October 17th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Sam Houston has put up 100 yards rushing on everyone one they have played so far. In fact they averaged more per carry on NDSU (5.04) than on McNeese (4.85).

That's whats killing the fans. We have such a strong offense...pass and rush...yet we're not scoring like we did at NDSU xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

McTailGator
October 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Didnt say McNeese was not capable at all. I just think Nicholls will be able to control the clock. SHSU hasnt run the ball well all year. This game is going to be a dogfight IMO. Nicholls St has played well and McNeese has played well.

xeyebrowx

McNeese figured out how to stop the Option years ago, thus our victories over Georgia Southern and Nichols on all but one occaion since 2001.

Nichols is a threat to us, not because of their offense, but because of their defense, which gets so little press. THAT is why they are undefeated in the SLC so far.

I think you will see that it's McNeese's offesne that controls things, not the other way around.

BayouColonel
October 17th, 2007, 04:00 PM
xeyebrowx

McNeese figured out how to stop the Option years ago, thus our victories over Georgia Southern and Nichols on all but one occaion since 2001.

Nichols is a threat to us, not because of their offense, but because of their defense, which gets so little press. THAT is why they are undefeated in the SLC so far.

I think you will see that it's McNeese's offesne that controls things, not the other way around.

You are right about our defense. They have been winning games for us this year. This Colonel team has yet to put together a complete game. Even the NW St massacre was not the kind of effort I was hoping to see from our offense. The O has played well in spurts but has yet to consistently move the ball against anyone. Maybe the injury to Montgomery in game three has kind of thrown them out of sync. I think they are capable of putting it together though.

JohnStOnge
October 17th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I hate to bring this up but one thing I'm concerned about after being reminded of it by a discussion on the McNeese Delphi board is Nicholls State's turf. When I watched Northwestern State play at Nicholls on TV, I got the impression that Northwestern State was having a lot more problems with the footing than Nicholls State was. I think it was a little damp and maybe they were wearing different shoes...or maybe Nicholls State was just more used to the turf. But Nicholls State players were definitely, in my opinion, not slipping around and losing their footing nearly as much as Demon players were.

GeauxColonels
October 17th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I hate to bring this up but one thing I'm concerned about after being reminded of it by a discussion on the McNeese Delphi board is Nicholls State's turf. When I watched Northwestern State play at Nicholls on TV, I got the impression that Northwestern State was having a lot more problems with the footing than Nicholls State was. I think it was a little damp and maybe they were wearing different shoes...or maybe Nicholls State was just more used to the turf. But Nicholls State players were definitely, in my opinion, not slipping around and losing their footing nearly as much as Demon players were.
I don't know about that. I walked on the turf after the game and it was pretty slippery...but for both teams. The Nicholls running backs kept slipping up when they were trying to make cuts. There were numerous plays that were cut short because the Colonel RBs couldn't keep their footing.

As for it being damp...it did rain, but that field drains INCREDIBLY well. After the game, one of the coaches dumped an ice chest out on the field and within 5 seconds there was no water left. The only evidence that he dumped out the ice chest was the pile of ice left. Walking on and feeling the turf with my hands, I can tell you it was BONE DRY. But I do think footing will be an issue...for BOTH teams.

GeauxLions94
October 17th, 2007, 09:28 PM
xeyebrowx

Now that you figured out how to stop the option years ago, why don't you bring those guys back :p Colonel defense has been very underrated this year but has played better than every team in the conference.

Would like to see that battle (definitely the game of the year in the SLC), but I'll be in Hammond watching SLU-UCA. Heading to the Hole next week.

McTailGator
October 17th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Now that you figured out how to stop the option years ago, why don't you bring those guys back :p Colonel defense has been very underrated this year but has played better than every team in the conference.

Would like to see that battle (definitely the game of the year in the SLC), but I'll be in Hammond watching SLU-UCA. Heading to the Hole next week.

Don't worry, you will get to see the Lions getting stuffing NEXT week, and the last game of your year. :D

Than you can sit back and watch us both in the playoffs...

JoshUCA
October 18th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I'm ready for Saturday! GO BEARS beat the lions!!

GeauxLions94
October 18th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I'm ready for Saturday! GO LIONS beat da Bears!!

There. Fixed it for you :p

Have a good trip down.

GeauxLions94
October 18th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Dunkel Ratings: Northwestern State 45.821; Sam Houston State 60.620
Dunkel Line: Sam Houston State by 15
GeauxLions94 says .......... NORTHWESTERN STATE, 17-13

Stephen F. Austin at Texas State
Dunkel Ratings: Stephen F. Austin 53.573; Texas State 58.120
Dunkel Line: Texas State by 4 1/2
GeauxLions94 says .......... TEXAS STATE, 21-20

Dunkel Ratings: McNeese State 76.305; Nicholls State 70.555
Dunkel Line: McNeese State by 6
GeauxLions94 says .......... McNEESE STATE, 17-14

Dunkel Ratings: Central Arkansas 74.191; Southeastern Louisiana 54.173
Dunkel Line: Central Arkansas by 20

and in my deluxe xhomerx mode

GeauxLions94 says .......... SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA, 42-40
What? You thought I was going pick UCA???

JoshUCA
October 18th, 2007, 06:03 PM
There. Fixed it for you :p

Have a good trip down.

I wish I could make it down, but it's not going to happen..but I'll be listening in on the internet!

JoshUCA
October 18th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Dunkel Ratings: Central Arkansas 74.191; Southeastern Louisiana 54.173
Dunkel Line: Central Arkansas by 20

and in my deluxe xhomerx mode

GeauxLions94 says .......... SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA, 42-40
What? You thought I was going pick UCA???

I don't know what this Dunkel group is thinking...but ranking us #18 and picking us to win by 20 is a little out there...xeekx
It is nice, but out there!

GeauxLions94
October 18th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I don't know what this Dunkel group is thinking...but ranking us #18 and picking us to win by 20 is a little out there...xeekx
It is nice, but out there!

I know. Last week, it had us 10 points better than Northwestern State and look what happened there.

Man, you're missing a good trip to Hammond. Can't wait til next year in Conway - I've been there twice so far. Already the best-looking campus in the SLC (right up there with Texas State)

UCABEARS75
October 19th, 2007, 07:51 AM
I know. Last week, it had us 10 points better than Northwestern State and look what happened there.

Man, you're missing a good trip to Hammond. Can't wait til next year in Conway - I've been there twice so far. Already the best-looking campus in the SLC (right up there with Texas State)

Josh is a busy young man with great demands on his time.

I, on the other hand, am at that point in my life where following the Bears is right up there on my priority list and I have a great wife who has become a great Bear fan in spite of being a UALR alum. Therefore, we will be there and look forward to the trip.

JoshUCA
October 19th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Josh is a busy young man with great demands on his time.

I, on the other hand, am at that point in my life where following the Bears is right up there on my priority list and I have a great wife who has become a great Bear fan in spite of being a UALR alum. Therefore, we will be there and look forward to the trip.

Indeed I am very busy...hopefully in the future I will be able to find the time/money to make a few SLC road games!
Ya'll better have some fun for me while down in Hammond!

UCABEARS75
October 19th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Indeed I am very busy...hopefully in the future I will be able to find the time/money to make a few SLC road games!
Ya'll better have some fun for me while down in Hammond!

Thanks Josh, we will do our best.

I know when you can you will make more games. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

BEAR
October 19th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Hey 75,

Get you some of that Hammond-cheese sandwich while your down there...It goes great with a SLU-rpie...xlolx

One last thing...

SE-ya-LA-ta!---that's what the SELA defensive line will be hearing from our running backs as they blast through the line! xthumbsupx xlolx

......man I wish I could go. I heard that's a football town..xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Only lost the Nicholls-McNeese game...

TT's Predictions
SLC Record: 10-3
Overall: 31-12

GeauxLions94
October 20th, 2007, 11:49 PM
SE-ya-LA-ta!---that's what the SELA defensive line will be hearing from our running backs as they blast through the line! xthumbsupx xlolx

......man I wish I could go. I heard that's a football town..xthumbsupx

Definitely didn't come from the running game as UCA finished with 41 yards on the ground.

Now as for Nathan Brown and the numerous sacks he got himself out of, that's another story :(

Great game nonetheless ... I thought it would come down to the wire. Great stop by UCA defense on Lucas when Southeastern had fourth and 1 in UCA territory (he gets the FD and the game's over).

Can't wait for the return trip to Conway next year.

BEAR
October 21st, 2007, 12:51 AM
Definitely didn't come from the running game as UCA finished with 41 yards on the ground.

Now as for Nathan Brown and the numerous sacks he got himself out of, that's another story :(

Great game nonetheless ... I thought it would come down to the wire. Great stop by UCA defense on Lucas when Southeastern had fourth and 1 in UCA territory (he gets the FD and the game's over).

Wow. That's so true. How can that defense get that much penetration and that much speed from the outside defense and be in last place statisticly in run defense? You are right though, that one play that stopped lucas on the fourth and one was the game breaker. I loved that game and wished I could have been there. Can't wait til next year in Conway. Gonna invite SHSU, McNeese and SELA to the house I hope. xlolx

Lionsrking
October 21st, 2007, 12:52 AM

Give UCA credit for hanging in there but we gave this one away. The fumble deep in our own territory right before the half trying to run the clock out, when we're up 16-7. They score to pull within 16-14. Don't wrap up on a punt return that goes 86 yards for a TD. Can't convert on a 4th and 1 that would have put the game away with under 2 minutes left. We've got a great drive going in the first half and decide to run a trick play with our WR throwing the ball. Our TE is wide open for an easy TD and we underthrow it and it's intercepted. They barely stopped us all night.

But again, they stepped up and made the plays on the road and Nathan Brown is hands down the best QB in the SLC, if not all of FCS.

BEAR
October 21st, 2007, 12:56 AM
Well, just remember UCA is in it's first full year of conference play with a team that is 80% freshman and sophs and the defense is very young and really not that good. How many yards did Lucas have? 200+? But that critical 1 yard play made the difference. That game had ablocked punt, INTs, punt return for TD, massive ground game for SELA, good pass game for UCA, safety..the list goes on. It looks like this will be a good matchup on a yearly basis..xthumbsupx

Lionsrking
October 21st, 2007, 01:00 AM
Wow. That's so true. How can that defense get that much penetration and that much speed from the outside defense and be in last place statisticly in run defense? You are right though, that one play that stopped lucas on the fourth and one was the game breaker. I loved that game and wished I could have been there. Can't wait til next year in Conway. Gonna invite SHSU, McNeese and SELA to the house I hope. xlolx

We're last in rush defense, in part, because we start two freshmen in the D-line, plus we've faced Kansas (lost our top DL for the year that game), who'll be ranked in the top 10 in FBS this week when the polls come out. We've faced Matt Forte of Tulane who was 2nd in the nation in rushing and had 348 yards against SMU tonight. He had 303 against us and over 200 each of the last two weeks. And Byron Lawrence had a big game against us last week. I would say just about any other team in the SLC would rank last in rush defense had they played our schedule. But we are young up front and sometimes it shows, especially against quality running teams.

BEAR
October 21st, 2007, 01:06 AM
I'm just glad that UCA finally figured out how to move around that blitz defense in the fourth quarter. Hopefully we won't face a defense that blitzes that much anytime soon. xlolx

Lionsrking
October 21st, 2007, 01:10 AM
Well, just remember UCA is in it's first full year of conference play with a team that is 80% freshman and sophs and the defense is very young and really not that good. How many yards did Lucas have? 200+? But that critical 1 yard play made the difference. That game had ablocked punt, INTs, punt return for TD, massive ground game for SELA, good pass game for UCA, safety..the list goes on. It looks like this will be a good matchup on a yearly basis..xthumbsupx

Make no mistake, it was fantastic college football game and probably one of the best games played in our stadium in 25 years. But we're young too and we were shorthanded tonight, especially at WR. We're also banged up in the defensive line and had a true freshman making his first start at noseguard.

When I say we "gave it away," that's no slight whatsoever towards UCA. You guys stepped up and took it and it's really a fine line to be honest. For every play we don't make or for every turnover, that's a play your team made. We view the Lucas fumble right before the half as a gift while your defenders did a good job to strip the ball. When we don't convert on 4th and 1, we view it as not getting a simple yard, while your defense rises up and makes the stop. We see it as not wrapping up on the punt return, you guys see it as a great run by the return guy.

Bottom line, it was a great game between two evenly matched teams. We just came up a little short.

Lionsrking
October 21st, 2007, 01:14 AM
I'm just glad that UCA finally figured out how to move around that blitz defense in the fourth quarter. Hopefully we won't face a defense that blitzes that much anytime soon. xlolx

I can tell ya, you can thank Mr. Brown for avoiding about six or seven sacks, plus you probably got away with about four or five holds. I don't have a problem with that because I'd rather them keep the flag in their pockets and let 'em play. But Brown has amazing escapability and incredible poise to keep his head downfield. We did a great job defending your offense and still gave up 28 defensive points. That's a credit to your team and they were as good as advertised.

BEAR
October 21st, 2007, 01:34 AM
Well, UCA has Nich next week at home and later McNeese. So any conference championship contenders might not be discovered until the last week. If SELA puts that kind of defense on McNeese and it works and UCA somehow wins against Nich...what a mess this conference will be in by the last week!

SLC Next Week
SHSU (1-2) at SFA (0-3)
SELA (1-2) at McN (3-0)
TXST (1-2) at NWST (2-2)
Nich (2-1) at UCA (3-1)

SLC Standings
McN 3-0
UCA 3-1 (nich, sfa and mcn and sdsu left-talk about parity xeekx..we could go 5-6! )
Nich 2-1
NWST 2-2
SELA 1-2
SHSU 1-2
TXST 1-2
SFA 0-3