PDA

View Full Version : SLC - Week Seven Recap, Week Eight Look Ahead

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Northwestern St 27-24 Southeastern Louisiana - FINAL

SELA struck quickly when they scored. NWST had some long drives and really tired out the defense at the end of this one as Byron Lawrence seemed to find his running legs. Lawrence, Stoker and the Demons come to Huntsville next week with a 2-1 record.

Central Arkansas 63-21 Texas State - San Marcos - FINAL

Nathan Brown throws seven TDs, makes ESPN as the top play of the day and the Bears move to 2-1 in the SLC with a FSN win over the reeling Bobcats.

Nicholls State 17-16 Stephen F Austin

Jeremy Moses starts for Danny Southall. Puts up good numbers, but Nicholls just controls the game including a game-closing 18 play drive that stops the Jacks from getting the ball back at the end to make the difference.

McNeese State 31-21 Sam Houston St - FINAL
21 of McNeese's 31 points come from Bearkat turnovers and that's enough for Pokes to top Bearkats.

Current SLC Standings
Nich 2-0
McN 2-0
NWST 2-1
UCA 2-1
SELA 1-1
SHSU 0-2
TXST 0-2
SFA 0-2

Next Week:
NWST (2-1) at SHSU (0-2)
SFA (0-2) at TXST (0-2)
McN (2-0) at Nich (2-0)
UCA (2-1) at SELA (1-1)

slycat
October 13th, 2007, 10:05 PM
well texas schools can wait till next year. hope we beat sfa for homecoming next week.

BEAR
October 13th, 2007, 11:10 PM
WARNING: The following is pure predictions. It is also based on the viewpoint of a Bear fan who is hoping for a chance at the conference championship with McNeese at the end of the year. xlolx

Next Week:
NWST (2-1) at SHSU (0-2) SHSU beats up on a beat up NWST
SFA (0-2) at TXST (0-2) No defense for TXST, sorry, no offense intended
McN (2-0) at Nich (2-0) Looking for the upset(if it can be called that with 2 undefeated conference teams) to make a possible UCA cochampionship with McNeese in the last game of the year...depending on how Nich does for the rest of the year of course. Big game here for the conference! Game of the week! Heck, this may be the conference championship right here!
UCA (2-1) at SELA (1-1) UCA offensively sound, defense needs more work, but SELA is having it tough this year and just snuck by a battered NWST team.

Here's my predicitons for the last games of the year for
UCA's remaining schedule
Sat 10/20 Southeastern Louisiana* Hammond, La. 6 p.m. W but new teams playing for the first time makes for lopsided victories..but which one??
Sat 10/27 Nicholls State* (Homecoming) Conway, Ark. 6 p.m. Toss up/UCA by 3..Nich just beat SFA...geez...tough pick but home advantage just might be enough..might be easier (cough) to get a win over Nich at home then over McNeese at their house.xrulesx
Sat 11/3 South Dakota State Conway, Ark. 6 p.m. W/revenge/Ireallydon't know/tough one last year/but SDSU record this year isn't good/but that's not a true marker of how good a team really is (see UCA earlier this year) W or L Doesn't count toward conference championship..thank heavensxsmiley_wix
Sat 11/10 Stephen F. Austin* Conway, Ark. 6 p.m. W by 7 Finally SFA gets to ride buses that might not break down.xlolx
Sat 11/17 McNeese State* Lake Charles, La. 7 p.m. ???? I have no freakin idea how good McNeese is or how good UCA will be by this game...I believe if UCA takes care of business with Nicholls and SFA..this game could be for the conference championship....with UCA watching from the sidelines in the playoffs as McNeese goes win or lose and maybe a second team without the intitials UCA goes with them...waiting sucks..I just might make this game..xlolx

....and before any of my fellow SLC brethren jump my post...just remember this is from a UCA viewpoint with an optimistic outcome. With so many freshman and a defense that is still learning, this might not even be close to the final outcome..but I can always hope..xthumbsupx xlolx Being new to the conference, I would love to see how you would predict your teams final games and how they might get you the conference championship...c'mon McNeese fans, Nich fans..I want to see your predictions especially...xeyebrowx :)

blackfordpu
October 14th, 2007, 12:00 AM
It would not surprise me to see UCA run the table the rest of the season. They are a force to be reckoned with.

I wish I could be there to see the McNeese/Nicholls game.

TheValleyRaider
October 14th, 2007, 12:22 AM
McN (2-0) at Nich (2-0)

This is a big game nationally, should be lots of fun xnodx

McNeese72
October 14th, 2007, 12:36 AM
WARNING: The following is pure predictions. It is also based on the viewpoint of a Bear fan who is hoping for a chance at the conference championship with McNeese at the end of the year. xlolx

Next Week:
NWST (2-1) at SHSU (0-2) SHSU beats up on a beat up NWST
SFA (0-2) at TXST (0-2) No defense for TXST, sorry, no offense intended
McN (2-0) at Nich (2-0) Looking for the upset(if it can be called that with 2 undefeated conference teams) to make a possible UCA cochampionship with McNeese in the last game of the year...depending on how Nich does for the rest of the year of course. Big game here for the conference! Game of the week! Heck, this may be the conference championship right here!
UCA (2-1) at SELA (1-1) UCA offensively sound, defense needs more work, but SELA is having it tough this year and just snuck by a battered NWST team.

Here's my predicitons for the last games of the year for
UCA's remaining schedule
Sat 10/20 Southeastern Louisiana* Hammond, La. 6 p.m. W but new teams playing for the first time makes for lopsided victories..but which one??
Sat 10/27 Nicholls State* (Homecoming) Conway, Ark. 6 p.m. Toss up/UCA by 3..Nich just beat SFA...geez...tough pick but home advantage just might be enough..might be easier (cough) to get a win over Nich at home then over McNeese at their house.xrulesx
Sat 11/3 South Dakota State Conway, Ark. 6 p.m. W/revenge/Ireallydon't know/tough one last year/but SDSU record this year isn't good/but that's not a true marker of how good a team really is (see UCA earlier this year) W or L Doesn't count toward conference championship..thank heavensxsmiley_wix
Sat 11/10 Stephen F. Austin* Conway, Ark. 6 p.m. W by 7 Finally SFA gets to ride buses that might not break down.xlolx
Sat 11/17 McNeese State* Lake Charles, La. 7 p.m. ???? I have no freakin idea how good McNeese is or how good UCA will be by this game...I believe if UCA takes care of business with Nicholls and SFA..this game could be for the conference championship....with UCA watching from the sidelines in the playoffs as McNeese goes win or lose and maybe a second team without the intitials UCA goes with them...waiting sucks..I just might make this game..xlolx

....and before any of my fellow SLC brethren jump my post...just remember this is from a UCA viewpoint with an optimistic outcome. With so many freshman and a defense that is still learning, this might not even be close to the final outcome..but I can always hope..xthumbsupx xlolx Being new to the conference, I would love to see how you would predict your teams final games and how they might get you the conference championship...c'mon McNeese fans, Nich fans..I want to see your predictions especially...xeyebrowx :)

I predict that we will show up in Thibodaux next week ready to play. One game at a time, one game at a time........that's how you do it. Don't start looking a head too much.

Doc

Purple Pride
October 14th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Current SLC Standings
Nich 2-0
McN 2-0
NWST 2-1
UCA 2-1
SELA 1-1
SHSU 0-2
TXST 0-2
SFA 0-2

Next Week:
NWST (2-1) at SHSU (0-2)
SFA (0-2) at TXST (0-2)
McN (2-0) at Nich (2-0)
UCA (2-1) at SELA (1-1)

Actually, UCA is #3 in the conference standings. NOT NWST.xnonox

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Actually, UCA is #3 in the conference standings. NOT NWST.xnonox

Didn't the Demons knock off UCA? If that's the case, they have the tiebreaker amongst teams at 2-1. NWST is 3rd place...

FormerPokeCenter
October 14th, 2007, 08:24 AM
SLC Newbies, gotta love 'em.....;)

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2007, 08:36 AM
SLC Newbies, gotta love 'em.....;)

The thing is, unlike our friends in San Marcos who lay claim to the SLC title every year despite their results from the years before, UCA is legitimately good.

What is scary is how many seniors they do not have and how many young players are making a huge difference for this team. UCA is going to be a great program down the road and while they are not in the same breath as NDSU, they are definitely putting forth together another strong season...

Purple Pride
October 14th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Didn't the Demons knock off UCA? If that's the case, they have the tiebreaker amongst teams at 2-1. NWST is 3rd place...
Whatever, you're wrong. UCA is in 3rd.

http://www.southland.org/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&KEY=&SPID=10812&SPSID=90019

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2007, 08:51 AM

http://www.southland.org/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&KEY=&SPID=10812&SPSID=90019

Not sure why it matters what the SLC has...NWST has 'scoreboard' over the Bears and that is the tiebreaker...xrulesx

FormerPokeCenter
October 14th, 2007, 09:01 AM

The standings page, and the official final standings are two different things.

The standings page has a format that follows several ranking conventins.

First, when the conference records are identical, the standings lists the teams based on overall record. When the conference records and the overall records are identical, they list the standings alphabetically.

That's why you're seeing Central Arkansas over Northwesern.

The legue has codified "tie-breakers" and the most important of these is head to head competition.

If the standing were at the end of the year, Northwestern would be in third, based on the head to head win...

Until then, the listings are merely alphabetical formalities and you probably shouldn't read much into them....

MSU_77
October 14th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I predict that we will show up in Thibodaux next week ready to play. One game at a time, one game at a time........that's how you do it. Don't start looking a head too much.

Doc

Should be a good game next Saturday; Nicholls has frequently been McNeese's biggest spoiler opponent in the past. This is one game to definitely not look past.

Can anyone from Nicholls provide some information on the Colonels' greatest strengths and weaknesses?

JoshUCA
October 14th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Face it Purple Pride...NW State has the tie-breaker over us b/c they beat us..thus we are in 4th. That is why I was really hoping that SELA would have won last night.

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Face it Purple Pride...NW State has the tie-breaker over us b/c they beat us..thus we are in 4th. That is why I was really hoping that SELA would have won last night.

UCA is fine...the SLC conference championship is pretty much in their hand since Nicholls and McNeese still remain. Yes, NWST could win out, but I am doubting that at this point since they still have McNeese and SHSU (yes, we're not great, but I'm wishfully thinking)...

UCABEARS75
October 15th, 2007, 10:04 AM
The thing is, unlike our friends in San Marcos who lay claim to the SLC title every year despite their results from the years before, UCA is legitimately good.

What is scary is how many seniors they do not have and how many young players are making a huge difference for this team. UCA is going to be a great program down the road and while they are not in the same breath as NDSU, they are definitely putting forth together another strong season...

Well said. I hope our fans can just keep this in mind. We have an extremely young team that has made great strides sinc 9/1/07 but is still capable of making mistakes and having letdowns. This will be a great challenge for the coaching staff to be sure the players stay focused and continue to learn and practice/play what they learn.

Our best football is ahead of us in '08 and '09 and hopefully beyond.