PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Bison v.s. Minnesota Gophers

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 13th, 2007, 09:18 PM
With MVSU behind us, we can talk Bison/Gophers without being accused of looking too far ahead.

Gophers are 1-6, no wins in the Big Ten. This game will be on their home turf, the Metrodome, but will most certaintly be filled with much green and gold wearing Bison fans. Even with the poor record, Minnesota has been able to move the ball this year. 217 total points on offense. Defense just hasn't helped them any. The offense has been held to single digits just once, and that was Ohio State.

The Bison hold a 10 game winning streak with their last loss at the hands of the Gophers. Bison defense has had its moments, MVSU, UC Davis, and Cent Mich. Western Illinois was a good performance once the defense settled in. SHSU and Stephen F. Austin were a lot closer. Hanging onto the ball as been some what of a challenge for the Bison this year as well. Walker has already surpassed his interception total for all of last year, and fumbles have also been a problem. The secondary will be challenged. On the flip side, the offense has been very effective. Walker and his recievers have been in synch all year long. Roehl and Paschall have pounded through the opponent defensive lines.

It is officially Bison/Gopher football week. Get excited!!!xhurrayx

Ivytalk
October 13th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Bison stomp Gophers! Bison angry because Gophers eat their food. Naughty Gophers!

NDSU 24, Minnesota 21. This is your year!xthumbsupx

FCS Go!
October 13th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I'll be stunned if the Bison don't win this year. Didn't the Goofers have two more players quit/transfer this week?

Mountain Panther
October 13th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I would think NDSU is going to be favored in this one.

Chi Panther
October 13th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I will be watching if this is on Big 10 Netowrk....

BisonBacker
October 13th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I'll be stunned if the Bison don't win this year. Didn't the Goofers have two more players quit/transfer this week?

Yes they did but neither was a starter. Either way they have their problems mainly on defense. Offense they can score points. They just havent had a defense that's been able to keep them in games all year. I too think the Bison will be favored and should win but AGS.....

Hansel
October 13th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I will be watching if this is on Big 10 Netowrk....

it is 11 am CST next Sat

I need to find a bar with the Big10 NetW in Bozeman that is open at 10 am (Mt Time kickoff) for the game :(

Chi Panther
October 13th, 2007, 09:34 PM
it is 11 am CST next Sat

I need to find a bar with the Big10 NetW in Bozeman that is open at 10 am (Mt Time kickoff) for the game :(

If you find yourself in Denver....you can always watch at my house.....

ASU88
October 13th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Go get 'em Bison! Put those gophers in their holes!

Give it to 'em like Bill Murray!

PantherRob82
October 13th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Go Bison! I'm excited about this game.

X-Factor
October 13th, 2007, 10:26 PM
The thing that scares me about this game is that the Bison probably should be favored....against a BigTen team. It seems weird, and I just hope we can live up to the billing. Bison have won 10 in a row and 16 of the last 17, but upsets happen all the time and you have got to think that Minnesota is desperate for a win right now.

Zoo
October 13th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I see NDSU winning by the score of:

32 - 17

Go Bison!

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 13th, 2007, 11:16 PM
This ought to fire you up a little bit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8uQM6rkpH0

Hansel
October 14th, 2007, 09:40 AM
http://www.twincities.com/ci_7171761?source=most_viewed

Many North Dakota State football fans will be wearing "Dome Invasion" when their team plays the Gophers, who lost 49-48 in double overtime Saturday at Northwestern, at the Metrodome this Saturday.

Hansel
October 14th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Gopher Week (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=180812&section=Columnists&columnist=Mike%20McFeely)

It’s Gopher Week. Finally. Let the fun begin.

“There’s a lot of hype. A lot of hype,” Lardinois said. “Ever since last October I think it’s been a huge, huge game that everybody’s looked forward to. All my friends, I don’t even think they knew who Mississippi Valley State was. They were all talking about Minnesota.”

It was Oct. 21, 2006, when the Bison came that close to bumping off the Gophers of the big-time Big Ten. Minnesota escaped with a 10-9 victory when Bison kicker Shawn Bibeau had a 42-yard field goal try blocked.

Since then, Bison vs. Gophers II has been The Game for NDSU fans. It’s the Super Bowl, Final Four, World Cup, Christmas and deer hunting opener all rolled into one day.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 14th, 2007, 10:11 AM
What is the latest on ticket sales in the dome? Last I heard was 5,000-7,000 tickets available. That was a week or more ago.

I am guessing, regardless of how many tickets are sold, there will be a lot of no shows. Mostly disgruntled Gopher fans. I may be wrong though, last years game may have peaked some interest. Last year the Bison were given about as much a chance of beating UM as MVSU was of beating the Bison yesterday. This year some people are venturing to say that the Bison are the favorites. A title I don't think Coach Bohl and the Bison really want. They would rather be taken lightly and come into the dome and surprise some people.

Pantherpower
October 14th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Frankly I think the Bison should be favored as well. Tend to agree with Coach Bohl that you'd rather be the underdawg coming into a game like this, but if NDSU plays up to their capabilities, they should win this game. Who knows? They may win it going away! Go future Gateway Brethern!

Thundar
October 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM
What is the latest on ticket sales in the dome? Last I heard was 5,000-7,000 tickets available. That was a week or more ago.

I am guessing, regardless of how many tickets are sold, there will be a lot of no shows. Mostly disgruntled Gopher fans. I may be wrong though, last years game may have peaked some interest. Last year the Bison were given about as much a chance of beating UM as MVSU was of beating the Bison yesterday. This year some people are venturing to say that the Bison are the favorites. A title I don't think Coach Bohl and the Bison really want. They would rather be taken lightly and come into the dome and surprise some people.

I doubt the dome will be full, but I do know alot of bison fans will be there, they released more tickets on gophersports.com in section 215 upper deck the other day. Many Gopher season ticket holders are selling their tickets to bison fans Like me:D on ebay. This could turn out to be a neutral or home field atmosphere for SUxthumbsupx

No_Skill
October 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I doubt the dome will be full, but I do know alot of bison fans will be there, they released more tickets on gophersports.com in section 215 upper deck the other day. Many Gopher season ticket holders are selling their tickets to bison fans Like me:D on ebay. This could turn out to be a neutral or home field atmosphere for SUxthumbsupx

Especially if we get up early.

Hammerhead
October 14th, 2007, 10:38 AM
The Sagarin ratings have NDSU up at #53 while the Goofers are way down at #95. I guarantee you that every player and coach at NDSU is still mad that they lost at Minnesota last year and they will make it an exciting game.

Drblankstare
October 14th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Really looking forward to Saturday, but the Gophers have looked so bad this year that im starting to feel like a Bison win would have a some of the luster taken off of it. I guess it doesnt really matter NDSU still needs to play a top level game to win IMO.

Umass74
October 14th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Minnesota has a really bad team this year. I think the upset will be the other way around----if NDSU looses!

Thundar
October 14th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Minnesota has a really bad team this year. I think the upset will be the other way around----if NDSU looses!

it kinda looks that way, yeterday the Minnesota offense looked like they can score, but then again Northwestern isn't Ohio state either. NDSU needs to get the defense ready big time, the corners are gonna get tested. I have all the faith in the world for Walker and gang!

Gil Dobie
October 14th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Because of lack of playing time. Gophers have been playing a lot of youth, which is normal for a new coach planning to have a future with a program.

Some of these young players are getting better, aka the QB Adam Weber, who played his HS ball about 5 miles from me. He's a good QB that can pass or run. SO #3, RB, Jay Thomas had 100 yards against NW. The Bison defense needs to stop the strength of the Gophers, and that's the offense. Also the Bison offense needs to take care of the ball, because the Gophers defense is pathetic, losing their best player before the season. I'm not as confident about a Bison win as I was early in the season. If the Bison play flawless, it should be a hugh win, otherwise it will be a close game, with the team scoring last winning.

JBB
October 14th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I agree with Gil. The Gophers are a very good team that has trouble winning. They will be one of the best team we have played all year right up there ith the great CMU Chippewas. Looking at the Gopher record will miss lead you. Looking at the Gopher roster and statistics will educate. They are a real challenge for anybody in the FCS. A win by the BISON is an upset.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 14th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Lets not forget, Gophers are FBS, 85 schollys, and Big Ten. Bison are transitioning FCS, 63 schollys, and members of newer conference of other transitioning or recently transitioned D-II to FCS teams.

If the Bison win, it is still a big win and fairly termed an upset. If the Bison lose, it will be a disappointment for Bison fans, but should not be considered an upset by the Gophers. An FCS team going 1-1 against FBS is still great, as every other FCS win over FBS this year has been considered an upset win by the FCS team.

I want the Bison to win and think the Bison can win. I just don't want everyone out there getting to crazy about this and turning this into the game that breaks the Bison's season. Win or lose, NDSU is a top 3 FCS team. Win it and you can solidly argue the #1 team in FCS.

Umass74
October 14th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I agree with Gil. The Gophers are a very good team that has trouble winning. They will be one of the best team we have played all year right up there ith the great CMU Chippewas. Looking at the Gopher record will miss lead you. Looking at the Gopher roster and statistics will educate. They are a real challenge for anybody in the FCS. A win by the BISON is an upset.

Gotta disagree with that. Most ranking services place them in the bottom of the barrel of BCS, Sagarin has them ranked #95 behind six FCS teams and four slots behind Yale!

A Bison win would be great, but the Gophers are not.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 14th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Gotta disagree with that. Most ranking services place them in the bottom of the barrel of BCS, Sagarin has them ranked #95 behind six FCS teams and four slots behind Yale!

They do have their fair share of FBS quality talent though. Might not be highly ranked, but they have the budget, the facilities, and the talent.

Thundar
October 14th, 2007, 12:08 PM

I think the rankings mean nothing in this game. Minnesota does not handle being beat by North Dakota teams in anything very well, THEY WILL COME TO PLAY, I see it being close, but SU's offense is just to powerful with the ability to run and pass. I don't see a blowout by either team but a 10 point spread in favor of SUxthumbsupx

NDSUFREAK
October 14th, 2007, 01:02 PM
http://entimg.msn.com/i/BillMurray/Caddyshack_300x298.jpg
License to kill gopher. By the government of the United Nations.

Thundar
October 14th, 2007, 03:09 PM
xlolx good one FREAK, gotta love old Carl Spackler

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 14th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Below is why we will not see the Gophers again for a while. At least until Brewster is gone in Minnesota.

Sid Hartman - "The Gophers haven't set up all their nonconference football opponents for the coming years yet, but North Dakota State is not on any of the future schedules. Brewster believes the Fargo school is a strong competitor to recruit against. There are about 5,000 tickets left for the Bison's visit to the Metrodome to face the Gophers on Oct. 20. And this is big deal financially for North Dakota State, which will be paid $300,000 for the game."

Too bad as this game has to be good for the Gophers financially too. Not to many non-conference games bring in the crowd the Bison game will. Logic doesn't seem to fit either as Wisconsin has to be a large competitor for Minnesota recruits to. Probably any Big Ten school is a competitor for Minnesota High School recurits for that matter.

NDSUFREAK
October 14th, 2007, 08:05 PM
this game will rock and it will be loud!!

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 14th, 2007, 08:24 PM
From the Star Tribune:

UP NEXT: NORTH DAKOTA STATE

When, where: 11 a.m. Saturday, Metrodome

TV, radio: Big Ten Network, 830-AM

Records: North Dakota State 6-0, Gophers 1-6

The skinny: The Gophers know what to expect this season from the Bison, who nearly pulled off an upset last year before losing 10-9. The Bison are ranked No. 1 in Division I-AA and view this matchup as their bowl game. NDSU trounced Mississippi Valley State 58-7 on Saturday. NDSU, led by senior quarterback Steve Walker, spreads the field, averaging 41.2 points. The Gophers are beat up physically, and they need to regroup emotionally.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers/story/1484286.html

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 14th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Bulletin Board Material:

"I know about the little guys in green coming to Minnesota ... a lot of the psycho-drama that [the media] loves to play out," Brewster said. "Well, you know what? We're going to be ready to play."

Little guys? Not sure how that will be taken in Fargo.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers/story/1484282.html

Thundar
October 14th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Bulletin Board Material:

"I know about the little guys in green coming to Minnesota ... a lot of the psycho-drama that [the media] loves to play out," Brewster said. "Well, you know what? We're going to be ready to play."

Little guys? Not sure how that will be taken in Fargo.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers/story/1484282.html

are Sid and Brewster related???? Wow thats just ignorant. Talking how he never said "anything negative about North Dakota State" then refering to the "little guys in green" WTF??? Hang that quote on the door of the locker room for the little green guys to see!

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 14th, 2007, 09:11 PM
A great way to watch Bison highlights, The Craig Bohl Football Show. Each episode is free and about 22 minutes.

http://www.kx4.com/archives/news/bison/football/sports_craig_bohl.html

You really have to wonder how long Coach Bohl will be with NDSU. He has really made the Bison into a top notch program. Even in academics the Bison lead in the region, which includes U of Montana and U of Minnesota.

spelunker64
October 14th, 2007, 09:59 PM
A great way to watch Bison highlights, The Craig Bohl Football Show. Each episode is free and about 22 minutes.

http://www.kx4.com/archives/news/bison/football/sports_craig_bohl.html

You really have to wonder how long Coach Bohl will be with NDSU. He has really made the Bison into a top notch program. Even in academics the Bison lead in the region, which includes U of Montana and U of Minnesota.

From the sounds of it Coach Bohl wants to at least get the team deep into playoffs some year. I don't see him leaving for at least 5 years. He'd only to go a job at a Big12/10, Pac10, SEC, ACC type of conference anyway. He's not going to leave this job to coach Duke or Bowling Green...

BisBison
October 14th, 2007, 10:09 PM
We've gotta get his salary up high enough to keep him from anyone but a top BCS job. No reason not for him to be at $250M+.

NDSUFREAK
October 14th, 2007, 10:10 PM
We've gotta get his salary up high enough to keep him from anyone but a top BCS job. No reason not for him to be at $250M+.

no team in history of sports would pay a coach $250M :p

BisBison
October 14th, 2007, 10:14 PM
no team in history of sports would pay a coach $250M :p

In Banking and finance a capital M stands for one thousand. Sorry for the confusion, should have used the more common k.

spelunker64
October 14th, 2007, 10:20 PM
In Banking and finance a capital M stands for one thousand. Sorry for the confusion, should have used the more common k.

I knew what you meant, 80,000 kernal corn bags are called 80M's...

I still perfer k though xrolleyesx

spelunker64
October 14th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Coach mentioned our -2 turnover differential last year in the gopher game this morning on his show. We reverse that and it should be no problem.

Stay at -2 and it could get interesting...

Semi-off subject, but why would Brewster go for 2 in the second OT? It's automatic in the 3rd OT anyway...

98chev
October 14th, 2007, 10:47 PM
good question and I think he is the only one that can answer that question.

AmsterBison
October 14th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Semi-off subject, but why would Brewster go for 2 in the second OT? It's automatic in the 3rd OT anyway...

I think he wanted as much time as possible to prepare for what he calls, "The little guys in green."

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 14th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Don Hansen makes NDSU his new #1. :)

http://www.donhansen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1683

Gil Dobie
October 15th, 2007, 07:17 AM
This little guy in green will be a the metrodome for the invasion xthumbsupx

spelunker64
October 15th, 2007, 07:28 AM
This little guy in green will be a the metrodome for the invasion xthumbsupx

I'll be a green guy there, little on the other hand...

Gil Dobie
October 15th, 2007, 07:38 AM
I'll be a green guy there, little on the other hand...

Brewsters words, not mine xlolx

spelunker64
October 15th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Brewsters words, not mine xlolx

I know :D

spelunker64
October 15th, 2007, 07:43 AM
http://www.new-enterprises.net/shootingsports/images/gopher1.jpg

Cap'n Cat
October 15th, 2007, 07:44 AM
NDSU 55
UMN 21

spelunker64
October 15th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Freeze Gopher!

http://www.10000takes.com/Tim_CarlSpackler_Brewster.jpg

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 16th, 2007, 07:34 AM
You can just sense it. Anyone familiar with last year's sports coverage out of Minneapolis can tell you that there is a different feeling coming out of the Twin Cities this week. Sid Hartman, the loudest sports voice out of the cities has recognized that NDSU will be a tough opponent. Last year he did not give us a chance in hell, predicting something like 50-7 (my memory says it was a big spread, but I can't remember his prediction exactly). This year he says the following:

"Big game for Gophers

With unbeaten North Dakota State coming up this week, it would have been great had the Gophers won Saturday's game against Northwestern.

Now there is a little extra pressure on the Gophers, as they face a team they beat 10-9 last year even though their personnel was superior to what the Gophers have today.

"Sure, we had a chance to look at North Dakota State a little bit, and Craig Bohl is a heck of a football coach," Gophers coach Tim Brewster said. "He does a great job with his football team; he's got a heck of a football team, there's no question about it. But I'll tell you what, again, I'm going to worry a whole lot more about the Minnesota Golden Gophers than I am North Dakota State."

Brewster did something unusual, spending time with the players after they got home from Northwestern.

"We're going to work extremely hard this week. I stayed a long time after we got home with the players," he said. "We just sat and we talked and we just shared some frustration with each other. But I'll tell you what, my kids, these kids, are extremely resilient. They want to go win a football game, and that's how we're going to prepare this week."

Brewster wasn't happy with the guy running the clock at Northwestern. It might have cost the Gophers the game.

"I had a tremendous amount of frustration, too, with some of the clock-management issues up there, and again it just tears your guts out because the guys that feel so bad, and felt so bad, were the kids. Our kids deserved to win that game, and so that's the most disappointing thing. It isn't us, it's about these kids and these kids deserved to win a football game, and we're going to prepare to go get one this Saturday."

This will be an interesting game, with North Dakota State fans maybe outnumbering Gophers fans. It could be like an Iowa or Wisconsin game here.

It's a game that the Gophers can't afford to lose, especially after what has happened this season."

Sid Hartman --http://www.startribune.com/507/story/1484335-p2.html

He is not going out on a limb and predicting a Bison victory, but at the sametime he isn't predicting a easy Gopher win like last year either.

spelunker64
October 16th, 2007, 07:41 AM
What did he say last year again? 40 some points or something.

He's just a COG

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 16th, 2007, 07:42 AM
History

Gophers vs. Bison (Minnesota leads, 6-0)
11/2/1903 - Minnesota 11, North Dakota State 0 (at Fargo, N.D.)
9/26/1931 - Minnesota 13, North Dakota State 7 (at Minneapolis, Minn.)
9/29/1934 - Minnesota 56, North Dakota State 12 (at Minneapolis, Minn.)
9/28/1935 - Minnesota 26, North Dakota State 6 (at Minneapolis, Minn.)
9/25/1937 - Minnesota 69, North Dakota State 7 (at Minneapolis, Minn.)
10/21/2007 - Minnesota 10, North Dakota State 9 (at Minneapolis, Minn.)

spelunker64
October 16th, 2007, 07:43 AM
6-1 after this week...

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 16th, 2007, 07:44 AM
In case you have any questions about Gopher's talent, their Freshman QB is already a stud in the Gopher record books.

REWRITING THE RECORD BOOKS
Quarterback Adam Weber already owns all of Minnesota’s freshman passing and total offense records and now he’s taking aim at the Gophers’ all-time single-season record book. Weber set the Minnesota freshman record for completions, passing yards and touchdowns in just five games this year. And he continues to build on those numbers with every game. Through seven games, Weber has compiled 171 completions, 1,884 passing yards and 18 touchdowns. Weber surpassed the touchdown mark of 10, previously set by Rickey Foggie in 1984, against Purdue then passed Scott Schaffner’s 1988 record for completions (106) and yards (1,234) against Ohio State. With five games still left to play, Weber needs 930 yards, 44 completions and just five touchdown passes to break Minnesota’s single-season records in each of those categories.

WEBER BIDDING TO BE FASTEST TO 2,000 YARDS
Minnesota quarterbacks have passed for at least 2,000 yards 13 times in school history. Freshman Adam Weber will be bidding to make it 14 and also become the fastest player ever at Minnesota to reach the mark, when the Golden Gophers battle North Dakota State Saturday at the Metrodome. Through seven games this season, Weber has passed for 1,884 yards and need just 116 more to reach 2,000. The current record is held by Mike Hohensee, who hit the 2,000-yard mark on the Gophers’ final possession of the first half in game No. 8 of the 1982 season. Through seven games in 1982, Hohensee had passed for 1,869 yards.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=1281594

Drblankstare
October 16th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Bad clock operators? This is what Minnesota is reduced to complaining about after getting beat by Northwestern.

footballer23
October 16th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I would think NDSU is going to be favored in this one.

Being as its a FBS v. FCS game... there is no line on the game. Although, there is a college football pick 'em application on Facebook that has Minnesota as a 22 point favorite. I really wish I could find someone to take that bet!

footballer23
October 16th, 2007, 05:57 PM
NDSU 55
UMN 21

That's very generous of you... although that would be AWESOME... I don't think it will be quite that lopsided.

JBB
October 16th, 2007, 06:09 PM

The most we could offer would be a little more than the D1 hockey coach in grand forks.

What folks have to remember, Brewster included, is this game wouldnt even be played if they hadnt been after NDSU in a scheduling jam. Coach Bohl didnt want the game. They had to stay on us to get this one. We did them a favor. If they want to slam the door because they think the game isnt worth its too bad. Bowling Green tickets were going for $9.

NDSU is going to be recruiting in Minnesota and we did well before we ever played them. We will do well after we play them too. We have the program the facilities, NFL connections and a chance for the Minnesota kids to take a staring role and bring their game to the next level.

Brewster is kidding himself if he thinks he has a recruiting advantage in Minnisota by not playing NDSU.

NDSU BISON 44 Golden Gophers 38. see the call at www.bisonsports.net.

You have the right idea Captn!!!!

swaghook
October 16th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Gopher target practice (http://www.fndzinz.com/Fexampl/RaisDaisN2.html)

swaghook
October 16th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Shut up and dance Gopher (http://www.cci-ammunition.com/game/default.htm)

Go...gate
October 16th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Good luck, NDSU. As far as I'm concerned, this is one time the Maroon team will be the bad guys! Beat the Gophers!!

Go Bison
October 16th, 2007, 07:14 PM
NDSU 55
UMN 21

I remember the days when Cap'n Cat would pick against NDSU. Maybe this is a bad sign?

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 16th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Coach Brewster's Press Conference Comments. I thought they were interesting.

On the keys to the game Saturday vs. NDSU:

“Defensively, we’re going to have to a great job against the run. They’re an outstanding physical power running team. We’re going to have to do a great job against the run. The other thing that bothers you is the play-action pass, how good they are off the hard run fakes. (Steve) Walker is an outstanding passer. We’ve got to match their physicality in the running game.”

“For us offensively, it’s very, very simple: We just need to take care of the football.”

On if the gap between Division 1-A and 1-AA is closing:

“I don’t think there’s any question that there’s a lot of really good Division 1-AA football teams. The thing about it is, there’s just a lot of really good football players in the country that, for whatever reason, sometimes slip through the cracks and end up at North Dakota State or Appalachian State. They’re really good football players, and then they get really good coaching from guys like Craig Bohl or Jerry Moore at Appalachian State. That combination of talent and really good coaching gives them an opportunity to beat anybody they play on any given Saturday.”

What if a guy did not slip through the cracks, but wanted to go to a school for other reasons than football. I mean how many great athletes are not NFL athletes, but are tremendous college athletes, be it football, basketball, or whatever? A ton. Maybe people make decisions on their future on more than just the football program.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38605&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=1282143

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 16th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Here are some more quotes from players about the upcoming Bison game. I thought for the most part they are respectful.

QB Adam Weber:
On NDSU:
“They’re a tough team to rebound against. They’re a good team and they’re playing really good football right now. I think we’re playing really good football, too it’s just that we’re not playing for 60 minutes and I think that’s going to be an important test for us this week against NDSU."

Safety Dom Barber

On the approach for NDSU:
“We just have to go out and play our game and execute the plan. We just can’t get too overconfident. They’re a great team – last year it was a 10-9 game. They’re a great team and we’ve just got to be ready to play.”

On last year’s game and whether the team was surprised by NDSU:
“Last year, we weren’t surprised at all. We knew they were a great team and that they were going to play hard and that’s exactly what they did. They executed their plan and they played really hard. We’ve just got to be ready for whatever they have for us and we have to be ready for Saturday.

On whether it is difficult to get excited to play a non-Big Ten, Division I-AA team:
“Not at all. They’re a great team and they’re undefeated. It doesn’t matter whether they’re I-AA or D-III, we just have to be ready to play. They’re 6-0, but I think if we play our game and execute the plan that the coaches lay out for us, we’ll be ok.”

Center Tony Brinkhaus

On last year’s game against NDSU:
“They kind of took it to us. We ended up winning the game, but they surprised a lot of us, but when they came in we knew that they were one of the top-rated teams, and it’s no different this year. They’re definitely a talented group and we’re going to prepare this week just like any other week.”

On playing NDSU this year:
“With them right on the border, there’s has certainly been a lot of talk between the fans from here and there. It’s definitely about pride at this point. We want to win this game, but in the end, its not different that any other game. I’m a competitive person and I expect to win every week, so it really is no different than any other game.”

On what he expects from NDSU and whether he thinks they’ve been gearing up since last year:
“There’s no doubt about it, they probably felt like they got robbed last year. They probably out-played us. They’re a team that’s coming in with a hot streak and a chip on their shoulder. For us, we’re just going to give everything we’ve got. We’ve done a great job this season preparing every week, we’re just come up short on game day a few times and there are some breaks here or there that just aren’t going our way. This week will be do different; we’re going to battle every day in practice and get ready for the game.”

Wide receiver Eric Decker

On the game:
“North Dakota State is a great team. We had a close one last year when they came here 10-9, and this is a big game for them because they’re not eligible for the playoffs since they jumped up from Division II, and we look at this like it’s their Super Bowl. Its close to home, it’s a big rival, I guess for them, and they’re going to bring a lot of fans in. We’re going to prepare like this is a Big Ten game, and we’re just going to go out there and try to play our game.”

On whether he considered attending NDSU:
“I talked to their coaches a little bit, but I told them the same thing I told everyone: that I was staying in Minnesota, whether I was going to a Division-I school or a Division-III school. I had a little interest, but I’m a Minnesota guy and I wasn’t leaving home.”

On knowing some of the NDSU players:
“They recruit the same region as us, and I know that they have between 25 and 30 guys on their roster from Minnesota and I played with a few; Nick Burton is a backup quarterback – I played with him in an All-Star game in high school – and a couple of other guys that are taking opportunities who didn’t get one here and are taking full advantage of it.”

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38605&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=1282174

T-Dog
October 17th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I sense the Bison fans are eager for this game.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 17th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Just a little... :)

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 17th, 2007, 12:50 AM
You know for Bison fans, this week is a lot about respect. Last year Mason and the Gophers did not communicate the respect that really any opponent deserves, i.e. Any Given Saturday... I think there is also that sense that the people in the Twin Cities live in some world that is better than the less populated surrounding communities, and therefore makes them better people. So this rivalry comes down to one word, and that is respect. Fargo and North Dakotans really want to show the cities that there are good things outside of MSP and, yes, even in Fargo, ND. Coach Brewster does give the impression that he and his team do respect the Bison. That does not mean that they cannot also have confidence that they will beat the Bison, but they at least are showing the respect that it won't be easy. Bison fans of course feel the other way. Here is the video, it is about 7 minutes, but Coach Brewster highlights some of the Bison stars appropriately.

http://www.kare11.com/video/player.aspx?aid=55698&bw=

GO BISON!!!

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 17th, 2007, 12:57 AM
If you are in the area and want to watch the game with Bison fans here are the sites of Bison/Gophers watch parties.

Bison/Gopher Watch Party in Denver, CO
When: 10:00 a.m. (the bar may open at 9:45 a.m. if enough Bison fans respond to Ryan!)
Where: Choppers Sports Grill
80 S Madison Street
Denver, CO

Bison/Gopher Watch Party in Phoenix, AZ
When: 9:00 a.m.
Where: The Native New Yorker
5030 E Ray Rd #5 (Ray Rd & I-10)
Phoenix, AZ

Bison/Gopher Watch Party in Cary, NC
When: 11:00 a.m.
Where: Upper Deck Sports Pub
329 N Harrison Ave # H
Cary, NC
Phone: (919) 460-9977
www.theupperdecksportspub.com

Bison/Gopher Watch Party in Colorado Springs, CO
When: 10:00 a.m.
Where: Overtime Sports Bar & Grill
2809 Dublin Blvd
Colorado Springs, CO

Bison/Gopher Watch Party in Lawrenceville, GA
When: 12:00 p.m.
Where: Diggers Bar in Lawrenceville
909 Parkside Walk Lane
Lawrenceville, GA
Phone: (678) 377-8660

Bison/Gopher Watch Party in Minot
When: 10:00 a.m. CT - Pregame Festivities
11:00 a.m. CT - Kick-off
Where: Bootlegerz
515 20th Ave SE
Minot, ND

Hammersmith
October 17th, 2007, 01:51 AM
The most we could offer would be a little more than the D1 hockey coach in grand forks.

What folks have to remember, Brewster included, is this game wouldnt even be played if they hadnt been after NDSU in a scheduling jam. Coach Bohl didnt want the game. They had to stay on us to get this one. We did them a favor. If they want to slam the door because they think the game isnt worth its too bad. Bowling Green tickets were going for $9.

NDSU is going to be recruiting in Minnesota and we did well before we ever played them. We will do well after we play them too. We have the program the facilities, NFL connections and a chance for the Minnesota kids to take a staring role and bring their game to the next level.

Brewster is kidding himself if he thinks he has a recruiting advantage in Minnisota by not playing NDSU.

NDSU BISON 44 Golden Gophers 38. see the call at www.bisonsports.net.

You have the right idea Captn!!!!

You're wrong about that. The game you describe was last year's game against Minnesota; we've always wanted the 2007 game. Bohl/Taylor wanted a non-BCS game for 2006(Ball State) but Minnesota needed another game and came calling(we got 2000 more tickets and $25k extra per year). This year, Bohl/Talyor only wanted a BCS game(Minnesota), but ended up adding CMU when they couldn't line up a 6th home game. The long-term goal is to alternate BCS/non-BCS games with our 2008 championship run attempt including a non-BCS.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 17th, 2007, 07:05 AM
From USA Today

North Dakota State playing for No. 1, not for title

First National Headline so far this year for the Bison (at least as far as I can tell).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-10-16-north-dakota-state_N.htm

Link to story above.

Craig Bohl tells USA Today the Bison season goal.

Finish 11-0 and No. 1 for the regular season.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 17th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Don Hansen predicts 31-14 Bison over Gophers.

http://www.donhansen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1689

Gil Dobie
October 17th, 2007, 07:19 AM

Is that the same service that had Michigan #5 to start the season and Nebraska in the top 25? I've watched most of the Minnesota games this year. Their offense is great at times, but young and inexperienced. Their defense is very inexperienced. Last year Illinois was rated 108, with a little experience, they are having a good year. The Gophers play a similar offense to Sam Houston St, which gave the Bison trouble. The Gophers have better RB's than SHSU, and the QB is mobile, with tall fast reliable receivers. It's going to be a tough game for the Bison, hopefully a win, even though I have predicted a Gopher win.

proasu89
October 17th, 2007, 09:14 AM
xlolx good one FREAK, gotta love old Carl Spackler

Sorry to point this out but the gopher absolutely owned Spackler:p

The Bison should be able to get done what Spackler couldn't. Total Gopher exterminationxthumbsupx

89Hen
October 17th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Craig Bohl tells USA Today the Bison season goal.

Finish 11-0 and No. 1 for the regular season.
No chance they finish #1 in the final poll.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 17th, 2007, 09:28 AM
No chance they finish #1 in the final poll.

If UNI wins out you are probably right, but if UNI loses and Bison win out, then I think you are wrong. My guess is an 11-0 Bison will put them at the top of Sagarin, GPI, Coaches, AGS, and TSN. The only variable preventing that is an undefeated UNI.

89Hen
October 17th, 2007, 09:30 AM
If UNI wins out you are probably right, but if UNI loses and Bison win out, then I think you are wrong. My guess is an 11-0 Bison will put them at the top of Sagarin, GPI, Coaches, AGS, and TSN. The only variable preventing that is an undefeated UNI.
I'm talking about the final poll after the playoffs.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 17th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Oh yes, than you are 100% correct my friend! After all this is the FCS where a Champion is crowned and along with that goes the title of #1 team in FCS.

89Hen
October 17th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Oh yes, than you are 100% correct my friend! After all this is the FCS where a Champion is crowned and along with that goes the title of #1 team in FCS.
To tell you the truth, I'd bet there are a lot of people who would be hesitant to put NDSU at #1 in the final poll because of how it looks... your #1 team not in the playoffs. Not saying that's right or fair, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's how some people thought. xpeacex

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 17th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I agree. In the USA Today article I posted the link to in this thread, there is a blurb about the coaches considering not ranking transitioning teams in the future. Having said that though what about the Ivy League teams? Don't rank them either since they don't participate in the playoffs?

89Hen
October 17th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I agree. In the USA Today article I posted the link to in this thread, there is a blurb about the coaches considering not ranking transitioning teams in the future. Having said that though what about the Ivy League teams? Don't rank them either since they don't participate in the playoffs?
I'll read the article. :o

I think as long as teams play IN I-AA and play against I-AA's that do participate, they should be ranked. If the SWAC ever went to an 11 game conference schedule, I would not rank them.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 17th, 2007, 09:50 AM
http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/MINNEAPOLIS-MN/KFAN-AM/PADUBAY101607_gophersvsbison.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=MINNEAPOLIS-MN&NG_FORMAT=sports&SITE_ID=612&STATION_ID=KFAN-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=KFAN_AM_1130&PCAST_CAT=Sports_Radio&PCAST_TITLE=PA_%26_Dubay_-_KFAN_AM_1130

Bison Fans talking trash on KFAN out of MSP. Pretty hillarious!xlolx xlolx

You really can't take yourself too seriously.

datruth4u
October 17th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I swear I hope NDSU wins. I have a 25 dollar bet with my boss at work.

elkmcc
October 17th, 2007, 01:35 PM

I would assume that bison fans are prepared to drop in all of the polls after losing to MN this week? Actually I can't wait to read all the crying and whining from NDSU fans when it becomes a reality.xlolx

Gil Dobie
October 17th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I would assume that bison fans are prepared to drop in all of the polls after losing to MN this week? Actually I can't wait to read all the crying and whining from NDSU fans when it becomes a reality.xlolx

I picked them to lose, so I won't be surprised. xpeacex

Gil Dobie
October 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM

To answer you question, if NDSU loses, yes they drop in the polls.
No problem with that. Depending on how bad the loss is, I would drop them from my #3 to 6-10. UNI and Montana win, they remain 1,2 in my vote.

GaSouthern
October 17th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Please remind the FCS that the limit on being a playoff team is stupid and WHOOP the gophers!

srgrizizen
October 17th, 2007, 03:29 PM
With no chance at the playoffs, this is NDSU's "superbowl." It's no wonder their fans are excited and everyone else is interested. If they win, they can crow and talk smack all they want, and no one should spoil their party with remarks about how weak Minnesota is. But even if they lose, I don't think that necessarily proves they wouldn't have gone very deep in the FCS Championship. The truth is, we'll never know. Anyway, I'm pulling for NDSU for the sake of the FCS, even if it will justify a further frenzy of anti-Grizzly smack on this board. (P.S. Most of us agree/fear we're overrated. I just hope we can put up as many as 10 points on winless Northern Colorado this week.)

footballer23
October 17th, 2007, 03:38 PM
With no chance at the playoffs, this is NDSU's "superbowl." It's no wonder their fans are excited and everyone else is interested. If they win, they can crow and talk smack all they want, and no one should spoil their party with remarks about how weak Minnesota is. But even if they lose, I don't think that necessarily proves they wouldn't have gone very deep in the FCS Championship. The truth is, we'll never know. Anyway, I'm pulling for NDSU for the sake of the FCS, even if it will justify a further frenzy of anti-Grizzly smack on this board. (P.S. Most of us agree/fear we're overrated. I just hope we can put up as many as 10 points on winless Northern Colorado this week.)

That's quite a confession. I would also hope you can put up 10 on Northern Colorado.

Go Bison
October 17th, 2007, 07:56 PM

Aren't you cheering for NDSU in this game? I cheered for the Griz in their FBS game this year. xlolx

elkmcc
October 17th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Aren't you cheering for NDSU in this game?

Ubetcha ! Now that's a joke.

I cheered for the Griz in their FBS game this year. xlolx

I can just picture you and Ole having a great time watching the game and telling each other how awesome you are huh?

Proof there is good reason why Montanans love to tell North Dakota jokes.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 17th, 2007, 10:11 PM

Why the hate? I have rarely seen any Bison fans incite hate on here. I don't remember any crying and whining last year when we lost. In fact most Bison were disappointed sure, but happy to have been able to compete and be on the national scene.

Sure we will be disappointed with a loss, who wants to see an undefeated season go by the wayside after 6 games? We are realistically hopeful of a win though! xnodx

elkmcc
October 17th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Why the hate? I have rarely seen any Bison fans incite hate on here.

I sense that you are merely being facetious but I will bite anyway.

It is my observation that NDSU fans who post on this site and others, in general have demonstrated little or no knowledge of I-AA history and accordingly have shown little or no respect for the storied programs that have made I-AA/FCS what it is today.

With the exception of Gill Dobie and a very few others, rarely a post is made by an NDSU fan re the Griz/BSC that isn't laced with lies and deception and disrespect toward Montana's football program and the Big Sky Conference in general.

Do you really think that the incessant smacking of one of the most successful I-AA/FCS programs and conferences might not inspire a bit of loathing for the people spewing it?

Hatred might be a stretch and is normally reserved for bobcats but you surely are not winning over any new friends in this part of Montana.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 17th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Hatred might be a stretch and is normally reserved for bobcats but you surely are not winning over any new friends in this part of Montana.

Ok so we are all not angels, but this thread for one has been (mostly) free of arrows. I for one will recognize that Montana has a strong tradition of success in FCS. Most Bison fans wanted to be in the Big Sky for two reasons and that was for the rivalry between NDSU and Montana and Montana State as well as being a part of a very successful conference.

Back to Bison/Gophers:

Gophers have announced that the Dome is expected to be a sellout. ~65,000

Coach Bohl has stated that he expects a win or a loss will have an impact on the polls.

ESPN Big Ten Analyst Bruce Hooley screwed it up and called NDSU the Fighting Sioux in his analysis of this weeks game. A testament to the Sioux hockey successes I suppose.

BisonBacker
October 18th, 2007, 06:38 AM

It is my observation that NDSU fans who post on this site and others, in general have demonstrated little or no knowledge of I-AA history and accordingly have shown little or no respect for the storied programs that have made I-AA/FCS what it is today.
With the exception of Gill Dobie and a very few others, rarely a post is made by an NDSU fan re the Griz/BSC that isn't laced with lies and deception and disrespect toward Montana's football program and the Big Sky Conference in general.

Do you really think that the incessant smacking of one of the most successful I-AA/FCS programs and conferences might not inspire a bit of loathing for the people spewing it?

Talk about painting with a broad brush. xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

spelunker64
October 18th, 2007, 08:11 AM

You, I think, need to pay more attention. A few can ruin it for the many...

back on topic: GO BISON!

elkmcc
October 18th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Talk about painting with a broad brush. xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

If I am painting with a broad brush you are spewing with an ignorant one. You are one of the worst for putting down other FCS programs, rambling on ond on about things you know nothing about and one of the biggest homers on this entire board. All that bad karma you have been spreading will have a price. I notice that you are getting a bit concerned about SUU. Go SUU.

spelunker64
October 18th, 2007, 08:20 AM
If I am painting with a broad brush you are spewing with an ignorant one. You are one of the worst for putting down other FCS programs, rambling on ond on about things you know nothing about and one of the biggest homers on this entire board. All that bad karma you have been spreading will have a price. I notice that you are getting a bit concerned about SUU. Go SUU.

SUU is masked a bit by playing the toughest schedule in FCS, they took it to YSU last weekend and just came up short, it won't be an easy contest. Again back to the goofers...

BisonBacker
October 18th, 2007, 08:41 AM

Bad Karma? Only one team have I questioned and it was about strength of schedule. I'm not the only one who has done that. If that upsets you then you should be talking to your AD not xbawlingx on a message board. Now back to the Bison Gophers.

BisonBacker
October 18th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Correction 2 teams, better add USD to that list. Now carry on.

elkmcc
October 18th, 2007, 08:42 AM
SUU is masked a bit by playing the toughest schedule in FCS, they took it to YSU last weekend and just came up short, it won't be an easy contest. Again back to the goofers...

Funny how that works. All summer we tolerated bisonbackers ramblings about how SUU was no one, "soft". All of a sudden as the SUU/NDSU game approaches SUU is magically becomming yet another of the bisons tough opponents. xrolleyesx

spelunker64
October 18th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Never said it was tough, just can't overlook it...

BisonBacker
October 18th, 2007, 08:53 AM
At least SUU has the nads to take on a tough schedule, more then can be said for some teams.

Go Bison
October 18th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Well, I think things get carried away on message boards. I read some of the stuff and am surprised what people say. I don't think people would say some of the stuff if you were having a face to face conversation with them. I know I have met Montana fans and they are great people to talk sports to. You get on a message board and it seems different.

Montana has a great football program and tradition. Their program is one that NDSU would like to be similar to someday. I believe NDSU is on the right track with having the longest winning streak in DI football.

matboz
October 18th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Anyone seen this article on ESPN? "To NDSU or not to NDSU? That is Brewster's question" (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=3066717)

A few highlights:

Brewster (MN Coach): "I'm not trying to win games so we're bowl eligible. I've been to 16 bowl games as a player and as a coach. Going to a bowl game does not excite me. Playing in a championship bowl game excites the heck out of me."

"Then there is the rub of the actual game itself. Even though the Bison have long been a respectable program -- first in Division II and now in I-AA -- the Gophers are still expected to beat them."

"We kind of look at this like this is their Super Bowl," Decker (MN Wide Reciever) said. "It's close to home. It's a big rival, I guess, for them. And they're going to bring a lot of fans in. So I feel like we need to prepare like this is a Big Ten game."

Sounds like a lot of BS to me...

spelunker64
October 18th, 2007, 09:36 PM
The Gophers "are" expected to beat us, just not projected to beat us... :D

matboz
October 18th, 2007, 09:47 PM
The Gophers "are" expected to beat us, just not projected to beat us... :D

heh ... guess I didn't read it like that xnodx

BisonBacker
October 18th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Well Brewster and his AD are certainly not on the same page. Brewster talks like he only wants to schedule the cream of the crop in FBS. NDSU's AD Taylor talked to the UofM Ad Maturi today and Maturi told Taylor that the gophers would have a regional FCS team on their schedule every year. So with that it sounds like NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Montana or Montana State will all have a shot at the gophers over the coming years. Montana State is already on their schedule in 09. It should be interesting to see how old Brewster reacts to that statement by his AD.

Thundar
October 18th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Well Brewster and his AD are certainly not on the same page. Brewster talks like he only wants to schedule the cream of the crop in FBS. NDSU's AD Taylor talked to the UofM Ad Maturi today and Maturi told Taylor that the gophers would have a regional FCS team on their schedule every year. So with that it sounds like NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Montana or Montana State will all have a shot at the gophers over the coming years. Montana State is already on their schedule in 09. It should be interesting to see how old Brewster reacts to that statement by his AD.

I don't see how the Montana teams would be considered regional. Bozeman is nearly 1000 miles from Minneapolis. I think ND, SD, IL, MO, IA, and IN. would be the regional teams, and if they are looking at recruiting I doubt Montana is even on their map in Minneapolis. Anyhow good luck to SDSU and MSU with the gophers!

SeattleGriz
October 18th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Doesn't matter who the favorite is, nor the fact some NDSU fans have rubbed my fur the wrong way, I am all for NDSU whippin' some gopher arse!

Its likes family. You can talk all the crap to family you want, but when someone outside the family says something? It's on!

GO BISON!

spelunker64
October 19th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Warning to Gophers: Here come the Bison

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/1494456.html

BisonBacker
October 19th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I don't see how the Montana teams would be considered regional. Bozeman is nearly 1000 miles from Minneapolis. I think ND, SD, IL, MO, IA, and IN. would be the regional teams, and if they are looking at recruiting I doubt Montana is even on their map in Minneapolis. Anyhow good luck to SDSU and MSU with the gophers!

Well the fact is that Montana State plays them in 09. Montana played Iowa last year. It may not be regional in the sense that you and I think about it but I suspect given they are better known to Minnesotans then say an east coast based FCS team they will likely be on the list for Maturi in the future.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 19th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Current Predictions by the "experts:

TSN: Gophers
CSN: Bison
College Football News: Bison
Don Hansen: Bison
Sagarin: Bison
Sid Hartman: Gophers

Anyone else?

spelunker64
October 19th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Bison 38-21

THE HERD
October 19th, 2007, 09:40 AM
There seems to be a lot of Bison fans and FCS fans in general that think we are just gonna waltz into the MetroDome and crush the Gophers and while I believe the Bison should win this game, I also know it will be a high scoring game that will be very close. The team that wins will be the one who protects the ball the best. I am thinking a 41-38 type score. What no one has seemed to notice except for a few is that the Gophers offense can flat out put up some points and they run a spread offense, which NDSU has had some problems with this year so far. Combine that with the fact that SU is missing a few players in the secondary from injury and the fact that the front seven are not getting to the QB like they did last year and that equals a lot of Gopher points. With that bieng said the Gophers defense has been somewhat pathetic, giving up over 500 yds of Offense at times and what that equals is a lot of Bison points, due to the fact that offense is the Bisons strength this year. So I really believe this is going to be one of those "Barn Burner Type Games", unless one of the teams turns the ball over multiple times, which then it could become a blow out for either team. Good Luck Bison! Play your game and we will win!xthumbsupx

Bison311
October 19th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Current Predictions by the "experts:

TSN: Gophers
CSN: Bison
College Football News: Bison
Don Hansen: Bison
Sagarin: Bison
Sid Hartman: Gophers

Anyone else?

Haha did you really need to include Sid Hartman...he would pick the gophers to beat anyone! lol

flexbone
October 19th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Good Luck - We get the Big 10 network in ATLANTA and I've already got it TeVo'ed.

mrfeem
October 19th, 2007, 01:23 PM
show the big ten that they are not so big. they have to beat up on the notre dames of the world.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 19th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Haha did you really need to include Sid Hartman...he would pick the gophers to beat anyone! lol

Yeah I had too. If you are from the tri-state region you know Sid as one who incites all of the emotions. Last year he predicted the Gophers by 30+ points. For the uniformed, Sid Hartman is an instution in MSP and writes for the Star Tribune Newspaper. A homer, but if you are a Twins or Vikings fan you tolerate him.

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 19th, 2007, 11:01 PM
My prediction Bison 30 - Gophers 27

No last second suspense like last year, just some good timely defense at the end of the game to keep the Gophers from scoring late. xhurrayx

Livgriz
October 20th, 2007, 01:08 AM
How far does NDSU fall in the polls if they loose to the Gophers?:D

Drblankstare
October 20th, 2007, 05:21 AM

No talk of that kind, only pure happy thoughts.xthumbsupx

Go Bison
October 20th, 2007, 07:44 AM

How do you loose? xlolx

Seriously, I cheered for Montana in all their non FCS games this year. Where is the love?

PSUVikings
October 20th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Minnesota strikes first, up 7-0. Minnesota is moving the ball WAY to easily and their Defense is giving it to NDSU so far

PSUVikings
October 20th, 2007, 11:17 AM
TD NDSU!!!! 77 yard scamper!!!

FCSFAN
October 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM
post scores in the score thread

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2007, 11:45 AM
TOUCHDOWN, BISON!

NDSU up 13-7, waiting the extra point!

Jag4Life
October 20th, 2007, 11:53 AM
LOL On that 1st TD I saw nothing but Green and Gold jump up and down and I'm like WTF?

JohnStOnge
October 20th, 2007, 12:50 PM
You know, the one bad thing about this is that NDSU is once again totally dominating the game but not very far ahead. I'm looking at the halftime stats. NDSU has 259 yards rushing...a whopping 13.6 yards per carry. The've got 344 total yards to Minnesota's 187. They ought to be farther ahead than three points!

AZBison
October 20th, 2007, 01:56 PM
This game is killing me, I have to keep reminding myself to breath...

Peems
October 20th, 2007, 01:57 PM
score?

SeattleGriz
October 20th, 2007, 01:59 PM
27-21 NDSU

AZBison
October 20th, 2007, 02:00 PM
NDSU 27
Minn 21

ISUMatt
October 20th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I love how BTN showed the stat that over 20,000 Bison fans were expected and the FargoDome only holds 18,600!! I rerally think the BigTen Network has done a solid job on this game

catbob
October 20th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Game over! NDSU wins!!

SiouxFallsJack
October 20th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Congrats Bison! xthumbsupx

bkrownd
October 20th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Back to the cellar in Gopherland... :(

EmeryZach
October 20th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Nice win. Thank God you guys aren't allowed in the playoffs. UMass looked lousy again today

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM
GREAT GAME!!! Roehl definitely turned some heads. Walker was solid. Bison break the streak with the Gophers! Still have the longest winning streak in D-I football.xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Statistical Notes:

Gophers D gives up 585 total yards to Bison O. By comparison NW compiled 589 total yards with OT.

Bison D holds the #18 ranked offense of the Gophers to 307 yards total offense. Only Ohio State did better holding the Gophers to 277 yards. Next closest is Indiana holding the Gophers to 392 total offensive yards.

Tyler Roehl gets more rushing yards than any of the 7 previous opponent team totals. Closest team rushing total to Roehl's 263 yards is Ohio State's team total of 250 yards.

Redshirt Freshman Phenom Adam Weber is held to 162 yards passing. His next worst performance was Bowling Green where he threw for 188 yards.

Even with Roehl's 263 yard rushing day, Pat Paschall still ran for 87 yards on 12 carries.

If you have some more interesting stats I would like to hear them. The Bison again, outplayed the Gophers in about all statiscal categories. xnodx

jbuggASU
October 20th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Great Win!!!!

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
October 20th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Sid Hartman admits his wrong in his prediction of a Gopher victory. Provides some interesting tid bits about the Bison rushing game, putting it in to perspective in the history of Gopher Football.

"The 394 yards for the game was the seventh-highest total ever gained against the Gophers. The last time they allowed a team to exceed 300 rushing yards was against Penn State in October 2005."

Read the rest of the article here:
http://www.startribune.com/507/story/1497789.html

FCSFAN
October 20th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Expected win delivered! Good job NDSU.

spelunker64
October 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Report on local news of continued tailgating in Minneapolis...

slostang
October 20th, 2007, 10:45 PM
GREAT GAME!!! Roehl definitely turned some heads. Walker was solid. Bison break the streak with the Gophers! Still have the longest winning streak in D-I football.xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

If the Bison made the FG at the end of the game against UM last year the streak would be even longer. Congrats on the big win. xbowx

spelunker64
October 20th, 2007, 11:03 PM
If the Bison made the FG at the end of the game against UM last year the streak would be even longer. Congrats on the big win. xbowx

not to mention the other mistakes in last years game...

CopperCat
October 20th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Nice win NDSU!! Congrats to you guys!xthumbsupx

Gil Dobie
September 20th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Time to get fired up for the game this weekend with a peak at the last time NDSU played the Gophers

http://entimg.msn.com/i/BillMurray/Caddyshack_300x298.jpg
License to kill gopher. By the government of the United Nations.

LakesBison
September 22nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
heading with my my dorm mates to game tomorrow, can underage kids get into the NDSU parties?
I still think there is going to be an amazing amount of fans there from fargo,cant wait!

wait this is an old thread? i was a hs freshman then, haha

TheBisonator
September 24th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I'm probably the only soul in the Toronto metro area wearing a Bison shirt. I'M PUMPED!!!!!

LakesBison
September 26th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I see 22 people were wrong, what a game!