PDA

View Full Version : Wofford-Elon: bigger than you might think!

woffordgrad94
October 13th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Do you guys realize that if Elon is able to come to Gibbs Stadium and pull off a win over my Terriers next week that they would be in first place in the SoCon (by virtue of both teams having one loss and Elon holding the head-to-head). Wow, who woulda thunk that even had a chance of happening? What that means is that we (wofford) better be ready next week against a hungry and confident Phoenix team. I'm sure we will be. We welcome the challenge.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 13th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Do you guys realize that if Elon is able to come to Gibbs Stadium and pull off a win over my Terriers next week that they would be in first place in the SoCon (by virtue of both teams having one loss and Elon holding the head-to-head). Wow, who woulda thunk that even had a chance of happening? What that means is that we (wofford) better be ready next week against a hungry and confident Phoenix team. I'm sure we will be. We welcome the challenge.

Elon isn't that good.

woffordgrad94
October 13th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Maybe not, but they still have a chance at first place. I doubt very seriously they'll beat Wofford, but stranger things have happened.

GreatAppSt
October 13th, 2007, 08:23 PM
but stranger things have happened.

How true, Wofford beat App.;)

gophoenix
October 13th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Elon isn't that good.

Boy the smack talking will just come out now.

And I guess the bad news for GSU is, GSU is worse.

ElonPride
October 13th, 2007, 08:45 PM

What's funny is that Elon and Wofford are the 2 teams that everyone in the confernce loves to talk the most crap about.....and now this may very well be the biggest conference game of the season so far.

If the same Elon D shows up that played USF & Liberty, then it will be a good game (meaning if everyone is healthy).

terrierbob
October 13th, 2007, 08:50 PM
What's funny is that Elon and Wofford are the 2 teams that everyone in the confernce loves to talk the most crap about.....and now this may very well be the biggest conference game of the season so far.

If the same Elon D shows up that played USF & Liberty, then it will be a good game (meaning if everyone is healthy).

was most of your defense healthy today?

ElonPride
October 13th, 2007, 08:55 PM
No, we had many go out during the game and had a few playing injured again. We are playing a VERY young defense.

The good news is that Nkang's protege, Corey Weaver, had a big game. 16 Tackles, 3 sacks and 1 forced fumble. He came up BIG in the extra periods.

HiHiYikas
October 13th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Nice martyr complex...xrolleyesx

If only I had a dime for every instance of Catamount-on-Phoenix smack talk...or every thread started by a UTC fan to belittle the Terriers...

What's really amusing to me is how, despite receiving much-deserved props for their teams' respective seasons, Terrier and Phoenix fans continue to hold onto this "hey, we're better than everybody thinks."

I get it. Any fan who's been paying attention gets it.

Elon-Wofford ought to be a great game. Wofford ought to win, but Elon certainly looks like the kind of team that could make it interesting.

dungeonjoe
October 13th, 2007, 08:58 PM

don't worry, if 2003 is any indication, it won't be long until we hear how the SoCon is having a down year...

terrierbob
October 13th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Josh Collier was 10 of 12 for 143 yards and a touchdown. I have no idea how to calculate a QB rating, but his must be pretty damn good. Oh, and we ran for 293 yards. Should be a shootout next week.

ASU88
October 13th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Do you guys realize that if Elon is able to come to Gibbs Stadium and pull off a win over my Terriers next week that they would be in first place in the SoCon (by virtue of both teams having one loss and Elon holding the head-to-head).

It would be a 3-way tie ... provided we beat GSU.

3 1-loss teams.
ASU beat Elon.
Wofford Beat ASU.
Elon (proposed) beat Wofford.

Would love to see it, but I gotta tell ya ... Wofford doesn't appear to be cooperating in any such scenarios. They are straight taking care of business this season (so far.)

Seven Would Be Nice
October 13th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Boy the smack talking will just come out now.

And I guess the bad news for GSU is, GSU is worse.

Didn't think that GSU was involved in this thread. But yes, we have had a rough turn of events in a few games.

terrierbob
October 13th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I just found a website that lets you can plug in numbers and it spits out a QB rating. Tonight, Collier's was 210.99.

http://www.primecomputing.com/

Saint3333
October 13th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Wofford by 21. Elon's rush defense will be exposed.

ElonPride
October 13th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Elon's rush defense will be exposed.

You should be a coach xsmiley_wix

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2007, 10:18 PM
...and none of y'all have even mentioned that Chattanooga will be hosting Furman next Saturday for a chance to also go 3-1 in the SoCon.

(this was off the top of my head, someone correct me if I got one wrong)
1. Wofford 3-0 (6-1)
T2. Chattanooga 2-1 (2-4)
T2. The Citadel 2-1 (4-2)
T2. Elon 2-1 (4-2)
5. Appalachian State 1-1 (5-1)
6. Georgia Southern 1-2 (4-2)
7. Furman 0-2 (2-4)
8. Western Carolina 0-3 (1-6)

(I will probably be accused of dissing Elon because in the three way tie for 2nd, I put them last...the truth...I decided to go with alphabetical order because it puts the Mocs nearest the top :))

ElonPride
October 13th, 2007, 10:20 PM
...and none of y'all have even mentioned that Chattanooga will be hosting Furman next Saturday for a chance to also go 3-1 in the SoCon.

(this was off the top of my head, someone correct me if I got one wrong)
1. Wofford 3-0 (6-1)
T2. Chattanooga 2-1 (2-4)
T2. The Citadel 2-1 (4-2)
T2. Elon 2-1 (4-2)
5. Appalachian State 1-1 (5-1)
6. Georgia Southern 1-2 (4-2)
7. Furman 0-2 (2-4)
8. Western Carolina 0-3 (1-6)

(I will probably be accused of dissing Elon because in the three way tie for 2nd, I put them last...the truth...I decided to go with alphabetical order because it puts the Mocs nearest the top :))

You know, you have a point, but start it in a Furman/UTC thread. this is Wofford/Elon.

CID1990
October 13th, 2007, 10:31 PM
There's still lots of football to be played yet. Five weeks ago App State was hands down unbeatable, and Furman was highly ranked.

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2007, 10:32 PM
You know, you have a point, but start it in a Furman/UTC thread. this is Wofford/Elon.

Geez. Nice attitude.

...the only reason I posted was because the first topic in the thread was technically incorrect.

With a win, Chattanooga would also be in first place...and the argument could be made that the Mocs would have the tiebreak because they have not lost to either Elon or Wofford :)

I will be happy to not post on this thread again.

Eagle22
October 13th, 2007, 10:36 PM
don't worry, if 2003 is any indication, it won't be long until we hear how the SoCon is having a down year...

Any year the SoCon doesn't have a rep in the National Championship game, IS a down year xsmiley_wix

ElonPride
October 13th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Geez. Nice attitude.

...the only reason I posted was because the first topic in the thread was technically incorrect.

With a win, Chattanooga would also be in first place...and the argument could be made that the Mocs would have the tiebreak because they have not lost to either Elon or Wofford :)

I will be happy to not post on this thread again.

Oh man, you totally had me wrong here.

There was no ill will intended. UTC has slipped under everyone's radar........

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 13th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Elon isn't that good.

Yes, they are. Elon would have turned App. State into a game had they not fell over and died in the fourth quarter. Their only other loss is to ranked FBS South Florida. Riddle is a great quarterback, he's sort of like Ingle Martin (including the quickness), but with more arm strength.

Wofford/Elon is probably the Socon game of the Week for October 13th. I just hope GSU's passing game doesn't sputter like that against App. State. If that happens, we are going to lose by 20.

gophoenix
October 13th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Wofford by 21. Elon's rush defense will be exposed.

Our defense in general has already been exposed. It isn't rushing that is the problem as much as it is a mobile, dual threat QB that seems to be the problem we have containing.

Eyes of Old Main
October 13th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Won/loss record or not, Elon wouldn't be equal with Wofford in the standings as far as I'm concerned unless they were holding wins again Appalachian (they aren't), Furman (they won't) and The Citadel (they won't). The same can be said for Chattanooga. But at any rate, all this talk is speculation as a bunch of decisive football is yet to be played.

Eyes of Old Main
October 13th, 2007, 11:48 PM

Hasn't that already been said?

woffordgrad94
October 14th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I think Furman will defeat Chattanooga.

appfan2008
October 14th, 2007, 05:51 PM
elon wofford will be a better game than most are giving it credit for... i am taking elon in the upset on the road

terrierbob
October 14th, 2007, 06:15 PM
elon wofford will be a better game than most are giving it credit for... i am taking elon in the upset on the road

We appreciate it. We'd be jinxed if no one picked us to lose.
xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
October 14th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Yes, they are. Elon would have turned App. State into a game had they not fell over and died in the fourth quarter. Their only other loss is to ranked FBS South Florida. Riddle is a great quarterback, he's sort of like Ingle Martin (including the quickness), but with more arm strength.

Wofford/Elon is probably the Socon game of the Week for October 13th. I just hope GSU's passing game doesn't sputter like that against App. State. If that happens, we are going to lose by 20.

It seemed to me that Elon was just worn out by the 4th qtr., a fact that was at least partly caused by the ASU offense. Up until the 4th, it was a game. I agree that Elon has a chance against Wofford, but their D must figure out how to stop the option.

And, IMO, I agree that GaSo will lose by at least 20.