PDA

View Full Version : FIRE STOWERS! TIME FOR A COACHING CHANGE!

Cobblestone
October 13th, 2007, 07:24 PM
First, I am not taking anything away from JMU and their fine QB. You guys did what you had to do in order to win. And my hat is off to the many JMU fans who made the trip. I talked to a few after the game. I hope you enjoyed your trip to the Ocean state.

Now that the fluff is out of the way...

Normally the team that turns the ball over less than the other AND controls possession of the ball more than the other WINS the freakin' game. Unless that team has a coach who insists on pitching the ball 5 yards back from the line of scrimmage after getting a first down! The triple option is as out dated and inefficient as the Bush presidency. Sorry to get political but I'm pissed off since we could have won this game.

OK Brad, let's add some more names to our list as the replacement for Stowers who I'm sure will be gone after this season. Sorry to say this because he's a good guy but three 4-7 seasons in a row and what looks to be a 1-10 season; he's not getting the job done. I hope he gets a good position coaching job at another FCS school or even a FBS school but WE need a new head coach.

? for JMU fans, I noticed a man in a wheelchair on the sidelines with your team. He didn't look too old. Is he one of your coaches?

dungeonjoe
October 13th, 2007, 07:30 PM
First, I am not taking anything away from JMU and their fine QB. You guys did what you had to do in order to win. And my hat is off to the many JMU fans who made the trip. I talked to a few after the game. I hope you enjoyed your trip to the Ocean state.

Normally the team that turns the ball over less than the other AND controls possession of the ball more than the other WINS the freakin' game. Unless that team has a coach who insists on pitching the ball 5 yards back from the line of scrimmage after getting a first down! The triple option is as out dated and inefficient as the Bush presidency. Sorry to get political but I'm pissed off since we could have won this game.

OK Brad, let's add some more names to our list as the replacement for Stowers who I'm sure will be gone after this season. Sorry to say this because he's a good guy but three 4-7 season in a row and what looks to be a 1-10 seasons, he's not getting the job done. I hope he gets a good position coach job at another FCS school or even a FBS school but WE need a new head coach.

? for JMU fans, I noticed a man in a wheelchair on the sidelines with your team. He didn't look too old. Is he one of your coaches?

I think their might be a Georgia Southern fan or two and many Wofford fans who would disagree with your opinion of the triple option. it sounds like a problem with the execution of the system rather than the system itself.

Who do you think be interested in the coaching position?

DTSpider
October 13th, 2007, 07:34 PM

I'm not a JMU fan, but that's Clayton Matthews. He's Micky's son and was a QB/WR/DB/Punter at JMU before two terrible car accidents left him paralyzed from the waste down. He's the special teams coach if I remember correctly.

mcveyrl
October 13th, 2007, 07:35 PM

OK Brad, let's add some more names to our list as the replacement for Stowers who I'm sure will be gone after this season. Sorry to say this because he's a good guy but three 4-7 season in a row and what looks to be a 1-10 seasons, he's not getting the job done. I hope he gets a good position coach job at another FCS school or even a FBS school but WE need a new head coach.

That's Clayton Matthews, he's Mickey's son. He was injured in multiple accidents during college.

Here's a story. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2604527)

brownbear
October 13th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Your triple option was unstoppable against us.

Longhorn
October 13th, 2007, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=Cobblestone;690582]
QUOTE]

URI could have won the game? xrotatehx Sorry, not to take away anything from your rant against Stowers or your frustration about your program running an out-of-date offense (or comparing him to Bush for that matter...something we agree upon!) but URI is lucky the score wasn't 60 something in favor of JMU. Yes, URI gathered in 3 turnovers today...but two of them were at your goal line, avoiding two TDS, and JMU ended the game running the clock out while still scoring 44 and winning by 17. Yeah...other than that (did I mention JMU NEVER had to punt during the game?)...okay...discounting those facts, URI could have won. xsmhx And if my aunt had balls and a penis she'd be my uncle. xeekx

Longhorn
October 13th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I'm not a JMU fan, but that's Clayton Matthews. He's Micky's son and was a QB/WR/DB/Punter at JMU before two terrible car accidents left him paralyzed from the waste down. He's the special teams coach if I remember correctly.

Clayton coaches the WRs.

Cobblestone
October 13th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I think their might be a Georgia Southern fan or two and many Wofford fans who would disagree with your opinion of the triple option. it sounds like a problem with the execution of the system rather than the system itself.

Who do you think be interested in the coaching position?

I'm sure a young D-II coach who is trying to build his resume' would take the opportunity to coach at the FBS level.

Cobblestone
October 13th, 2007, 08:02 PM
QUOTE]

URI could have won the game? xrotatehx Sorry, not to take away anything from your rant against Stowers or your frustration about your program running an out-of-date offense (or comparing him to Bush for that matter...something we agree upon!) but URI is lucky the score wasn't 60 something in favor of JMU. Yes, URI gathered in 3 turnovers today...but two of them were at your goal line, avoiding two TDS, and JMU ended the game running the clock out while still scoring 44 and winning by 17. Yeah...other than that (did I mention JMU NEVER had to punt during the game?)...okay...discounting those facts, URI could have won. xsmhx And if my aunt had balls and a penis she'd be my uncle. xeekx

So when is she going for the sex change operation?

Yeah JMU could have played a bit better than they did. But the fact is that Stowers has a thin playbook, does not make any adjustments and every season tells us that "the defense will be improved this season". So here we are with one victory so far. JMU made some mistakes and we didn't capitalize on enough of them. It seems to me that the team who turns the ball over the most usually scores less points than the other. The objective on offense is to go forward, I lost count of the number of times Stowers had Cassidy pitch the ball 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Let me get off my negativity soap box. Good game by Jerrel Jones and some nice catches by Leonard.

Cobblestone
October 13th, 2007, 08:04 PM
That's Clayton Matthews, he's Mickey's son. He was injured in multiple accidents during college.

Here's a story. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2604527)

That story puts things in the proper light. He's certainly an inspiration to others. xthumbsupx

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 13th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Stowers' record certainly isn't great, but maybe he needs a year or two. By comparison, look at UNH's currently acclaimed (with good reason!) head coach, Sean McDonnell:
1st 5 years: 24-32
99: 5-6
00: 6-5
01: 4-7
02: 4-7
03: 5-7
Last 3+ years: 34-11
04: 10-3
05: 11-2
06: 9-4
07: 4-2

If New Hampshire's AD Marty Scarano had succumbed to intense pressure after the 2003 season, Sean never would have had the chance to enjoy UNH's unprecedented subsequent success under his direction. And, as good a coach as he is, it took an unexpectedly great player like Santos and a combination of Santos & Ball to tip the scales, to create a recruiting advantage, and to give the Wildcats a chance to compete nationally with accompanying national recognition.

Sean now has now created some advantages like a chance to recruit nationally (ie: California!), a brand new field turf playing surface, ....

Just sayin', ..... if Stowers is a quality guy like Sean, maybe he just needs a break. His offense, by the way, certainly worked down south pretty well, ....

mainejeff
October 13th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I think that Jack Cosgrove would make a great candidate to replace Stowers!

Minuteman87
October 13th, 2007, 08:34 PM
What does Thorr think?
Honestly, has he given any indication of what he'd like to do with football at URI? Like fully fund it and give them the max scholarships?

New ADs sometimes like to bring in their own guys. Is Thorr is thinking that way?

Unfortunately, I just get the feeling that most URI sports fans are happy if the Rams can beat Providence in hoops every third year.

MR. CHICKEN
October 13th, 2007, 10:08 PM
COACH STOWERS...NEEDS TA EMPHASIZE DEFENSE......HIS OFFENSE IS GOOD 'NUFF....TA HANG IN DUH CAA........BUT DUH CAA IS BRUTAL.......AN' RHODEY NEEDS TA GIVE HIM DUH FULL....COMPLIMENT O' SKOLLIES.............HEY....HE MADE IT WORK DOWN SOUFF!.........BRRAAAWWWWKKKKK!

BDKJMU
October 14th, 2007, 12:45 AM
QUOTE]

Yep, 598 yards total offense for JMU, 430 rushing, never punted. JMU stopped themselves (2 lost fumbles near goal line) better than URI's defense did. URI's offense wasn't the problem (427 yards). It was their defense.

gatadotcom
October 14th, 2007, 08:17 AM
The triple option is as out dated and inefficient as the Bush presidency. Sorry to get political but I'm pissed off since we could have won this game.

Rhode Island doesn't run a pure triple option. That's because Stowers never completely understood the offense. I don't think there's anyway he ever will understand the offense, or get the athletes needed to run it.

When he was at Georgia Southern, he bastardized the T-O. He was a very good Offensive Line Coache before being named Head Coach at GSU; he never had to worry about the intricate details of the T-O. He managed to win at GSU because of the talented athletes the school attracted. He apparentely doesn't have that luxury at Rhode Island.

GSU didn't run a pure T-O under Stowers, and only returnd running it when Paul Johnson came in as Head Coach. He had been the Offensive Coordiator when Stowers was the O-Line Coach. Johnson's now at Navy. Watch them if you want to see what the Triple Option SHOULD look like.

Stowers was a mediocre coach and a poor communicator while at GSU. But, he was a very fine person and a good & honest man. Unfortunately, that doesn't always translate into being a Head Football Coach at a Division I university.

I'm glad he's in Rhode Island with your Rams instead of in south Georgia with my Eagles! He's your problem . . . good luck.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 14th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Yes, URI had it's chances, but they also blew the game wide open with not converting 4th downs. Stowers obviously was scared of JMU just lighting it up on the scoreboard, so he took chances you normally shouldn't take. Unfortunately for URI, the JMU defense stepped it up when it had to. The game was a lot closer than the scoreboard shows. However, the score is a lot closer than what it really should have been.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda's are abound in yesterday's matchup on both sides. JMU sounded like a tired team that did not have it's A game in its second road game in New England. The talent difference showed itself in this matchup. URI's D simply could not stop JMU, at all. Complain about that before you complain about the Triple Option.

JMU has NEVER (at least under Mickey Matthews) done well against the option offense. We over pursue and tend to jack up the wrong guy. I'm glad we escaped with the win. Going into Saturday's match, I really wasn't comfortable about the match up.

URI is a lot better of a team than many FCS teams. The CAA is just that tough.

The scholly issue sounds like it should be priority #1, which would likely result in a better D, which would make the T-O offense all the more dangerous. Get to the root of the problem and you'll fix the problems with the program. Good Luck the rest of the way Rams!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 14th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Having said all that, and listening to the game yesterday, I completely empathize with your frustration. I would probably be saying the same thing if I were a URI fan.

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2007, 03:03 PM
AH HAPPEN TA LOVE LISTENIN' TA COACH STOWERS TALK...IN DAT SOUFFERN DRAW.............HIT HIM IN DUH BACK O' DUH HEAD.....WHIFF UH BRICK........SOMEHOW....AH CAN HEAR HIM SAY........"AH SAY....AH SAY SON......DID SOMEONE....LOSE UH BRICK"?

Brad82
October 15th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Rhody has the maximum # of scholarships.

Cap'n Cat
October 15th, 2007, 06:09 PM
WHO is Stowers and where does he coach?

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Cobblestone
October 15th, 2007, 08:05 PM
WHO is Stowers and where does he coach?

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Tim Stowers, University of Rhode Island.

Do you guys at UNI want him?

Cap'n Cat
October 15th, 2007, 08:19 PM

What???????

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Ask Youngstown.

xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

Ram Ball
October 16th, 2007, 09:48 PM
are you sure? a real good source told me they only use 57.

I am also under the impression that we use the full # of scholarships

Brad82
October 17th, 2007, 05:55 AM
bdfan-I have asked the AD for the 2nd time. Will let you know his reply.

terrierbob
October 17th, 2007, 09:29 AM

What's his record up there?

jmuroller
October 17th, 2007, 09:31 AM
The CAA now requires that you give out the max schollies. Maybe 7-10 years ago URI only gave out ~57-60, but now they give out the max.

Cobblestone
October 17th, 2007, 11:13 AM
What's his record up there?

2000 Head Coach Rhode Island 3-8 .273
2001 Head Coach Rhode Island 8-3 .727
2002 Head Coach Rhode Island 3-9 .250
2003 Head Coach Rhode Island 4-8 .333
2004 Head Coach Rhode Island 4-7 .364
2005 Head Coach Rhode Island 4-7 .364
2006 Head Coach Rhode island 4-7 .364

One winning season in 7 seasons, ZERO playoff appearances. xnonono2x

Brad82
October 17th, 2007, 05:02 PM
BD Fan/all-here is answer. Rhody has 59 out of state scholarships.NCAA max is 63 equivalencies[/B]. Equivalence is operative word. Because if you compare out of state costs to instate costs the difference is about $13k. So,any RI kids scholarships actually cost less money and therefore they do not need the 63 full out of state scholarships. Rhody is right in line with the rest of the league,especailly the state schools that have different price from in state vs. out. This from the the AD.

jmuroller
October 17th, 2007, 05:56 PM
BD Fan/all-here is answer. Rhody has 59 out of state scholarships.NCAA max is 63 equivalencies[/B]. Equivalence is operative word. Because if you compare out of state costs to instate costs the difference is about $13k. So,any RI kids scholarships actually cost less money and therefore they do not need the 63 full out of state scholarships. Rhody is right in line with the rest of the league,especailly the state schools that have different price from in state vs. out. This from the the AD.

Whether they are out of state or in state has no bearing on their equivalence count. If out of state costs 20k and you give a kid 10k, then he counts as a .5 or half. If in-state is 10k and you give him 10k, then he counts as a full scholarship. If the AD is telling you they are giving out 59 equivalences then you aren't giving out the full amount. I'm not sure what you are saying.

Brad82
October 17th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Maybe I don't understand it. Really don't care to. It is more than 57 than BD says and less than 63= an excuse.
Didn't stop Rhody 81-85. Give out more partials. Saw lots of kids on full rides who could not even get in and out of a stance properly. Get 44-good and great players and you will win.