PDA

View Full Version : Where should GSU be in the poll?

GSU Eagle
September 4th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Just wondering what other voters think? I have the Eagles at #8 right now. I think that is a fair spot. I realize we did not turn many heads yesterday, especially on defense, but we did win. I will be the first to admit that we could have easily lost and maybe should have lost, but the bottom line is that we won on the road in a pretty tough place to play.

So where do the other pollsters have us?

Hansel
September 4th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Just wondering what other voters think? I have the Eagles at #8 right now. I think that is a fair spot. I realize we did not turn many heads yesterday, especially on defense, but we did win. I will be the first to admit that we could have easily lost and maybe should have lost, but the bottom line is that we won on the road in a pretty tough place to play.

So where do the other pollsters have us?
The AGS poll forum would be a good place to check ;)

Paladin1aa
September 4th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Not in the Top 10. That was a poor performance against the projected next to last team in the weakest division of the A-10.

Very poor exibition.

blukeys
September 4th, 2005, 08:46 PM
You snuck out of Parson's with a win. That is better than the UD '03 team. No penalty in my book. :) :)

TexasTerror
September 4th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Not in the Top 10. That was a poor performance against the projected next to last team in the weakest division of the A-10. Very poor exibition.

Agreed, I sent Georgia Southern tumbling. That win was as good as a loss to me...

GSUhooligan
September 4th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Agreed, I sent Georgia Southern tumbling. That win was as good as a loss to me...

I'm sorry. I guess we have to beat up on an NAIA to get respect from you.

Beat Bacone, get respect.
Beat NU, you tumble. Makes sense to me. :confused:

gsuwinsudont
September 4th, 2005, 09:32 PM

:rolleyes: xlolx Oh well good thing the pollsters on the poll that counts dont think like that. I might agree with you if we had been at home however that was not the case.....

blueballs
September 4th, 2005, 09:41 PM
I could care less if you or any other voter ranks GSU last in the country. All I know is that they're 1-0 with a road win over an A-10 team which, depending on who Northeastern beats during the conference schedule, may be a decisive win as far as seeding and home field come November.

We'll take the win and move on. McNeese is next, meet Mr. Foster and Mr. Austin, oh and Mr. Craft will be back this week too.

bobcatfan06
September 4th, 2005, 10:04 PM
..... Stupid roomate who hates TT.

bluehenbillk
September 4th, 2005, 10:22 PM
#8, I wasn't really impressed with a squeaker against the team supposed to be 2nd from the bottom in the A-10 North.

ngineer
September 4th, 2005, 10:24 PM
I dropped GSU just a tad--but I still consider them a top 10 ten team. First games are tough to judge. Usual sloppiness, transition of new players, and nature of opposition make these first games most difficult. Not until 3 or four games are played does one really get a sense of how strong or weak a team is.

Tribe4SF
September 4th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I had GSU #13 pre-season and dropped them to #17. I watched the game, and I think their defense is way below last year.

GannonFan
September 4th, 2005, 10:50 PM
I still have them in the top 10, but I dropped them from the top spot - you have to impress to stay number 1. What people don't remember from those Adrian Peterson years is that the probably reason why GSU won 2 straight titles is that their defense, overshadowed in the press clipings by the offense, was probably the real reason they won those titles - the defense made all the stops they had to. This defense, however, looks far too similar to that of the previous 3 years, where, when faced with a big challenge or backs against the wall, just doesn't seem able to win the game. Time will tell and this is just one game and the first one at that - just something to be concerned about.

umassfan
September 4th, 2005, 11:45 PM
I think they should be lower then where they started just because of their defense. NU may be the second to worst team in the A10 North but the A10 North will be stronger then the South this year.

Eagle22
September 4th, 2005, 11:46 PM
At the risk of being labeled an apologist and homer :D , I'd like to point out that it appeared to me that the GSU defense fared much better in the second half of the game Saturday.

Whether it was coaching adjustments, new players getting their feet wet, or just plain luck :rolleyes: , the GSU D only gave up 7 points in the second half after an atrocious first half allowing 24 points. Maybe it was a combination of things, but it seemed like decent improvement just over the span of a half.

Our D has given up 38 or more points only 3 times in the last five years ... last Saturday, 48 vs. UGA last season and in 2000 against Furman. We lost the other two.

Frankly, I'll be very surprised if it turns out we have a horrid defense. They no doubt have room to improve. ... I also believe NU will end up better in the post-season than indicated by their pre-season stature.

mainejeff
September 4th, 2005, 11:54 PM
I have them at #7.

SpiritCymbal
September 5th, 2005, 12:06 AM
I had us at #8 myself. Of course I had us starting further down than the AGS poll. Even though Northeastern was predicted to be a bottom dweller in the A10, a win on the road is a good win (ugly....but good)!

As many people said after Furman's last second win over Jacksonville State......Great teams find a way to win!

No matter the preseason rank....41 is more than 38......and 1 is more than 0.

eagleskins
September 5th, 2005, 05:10 AM

Bacone? We would stomp the ever loving ish out of your sorry team.

gsuwinsudont
September 5th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Looks to me Gannonfan that when the D was called upon to perform they DID step up and shut NU down. 7 points over the second half and OT? Thats crunch time baby! What more do you people want? :confused:

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Kats get UH and Texas Tech these next two weeks...

Yes, Kats rolled Bacone, but we were running the ball up the middle each time in the 3rd quarter. Heck, in the 4th, we didn't even pass on 3rd down! No one would play us after the 2004 campaign, called 30 regional oppnents from all over and only they'd play us.

And I didn't send GA Southern too far south, they just lost a few spots as I think others did. I was not impressed with a tough win at Northeastern. That's not a school I view as an I-AA power or even a halfway decent I-AA. A good win against McNeese and you guys will get all my props. That's a tough Cowboys squad.

GoGSU
September 5th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Yes, Kats rolled Bacone, but we were running the ball up the middle each time in the 3rd quarter. Heck, in the 4th, we didn't even pass on 3rd down! No one would play us after the 2004 campaign, called 30 regional oppnents from all over and only they'd play us.

And I didn't send GA Southern too far south, they just lost a few spots as I think others did. I was not impressed with a tough win at Northeastern. That's not a school I view as an I-AA power or even a halfway decent I-AA. A good win against McNeese and you guys will get all my props. That's a tough Cowboys squad.

GSU should be ranked around 5th or 6th.........will be a different defense on the field this week and GSU will roll over McNeese 40-17.....the NU game will put a fire under the team's a$$............The only game from ANY conference that impressed me was the Wm & Mary almost win over Marshall....otherwise WE ALL HAVE ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT.

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2005, 08:39 AM
GSU should be ranked around 5th or 6th.........will be a different defense on the field this week and GSU will roll over McNeese 40-17.....the NU game will put a fire under the team's a$$............The only game from ANY conference that impressed me was the Wm & Mary almost win over Marshall....otherwise WE ALL HAVE ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT.

I was a big fan of Montana St/Oklahoma St. We all know how those Cowboys like to be upset-minded in the Big 12 and always find their way to a bowl game. That one impressed me and I have no doubt Eastern Washington would've beaten San Jose St with a healthy QB. Throw in Illinois State and their above par showing and I think there were some impressions of the good sort being made...

GaSouthern
September 5th, 2005, 09:27 AM

This forum really does not impress me, I think Northeastern would walk all over McNeese this year, but everyone thinks they are weak and McNeese is going to be a huge game. Sit back and watch as we roll McNeese and show how wrong a prediction that they are strong this year is. There are very few on this board who I can take their comments with more than a grain of salt :rolleyes:

charliej
September 5th, 2005, 10:49 AM
I had them at #7 pre season...still there in my poll.

Tribe4SF
September 5th, 2005, 10:51 AM
This forum really does not impress me, I think Northeastern would walk all over McNeese this year, but everyone thinks they are weak and McNeese is going to be a huge game. Sit back and watch as we roll McNeese and show how wrong a prediction that they are strong this year is. There are very few on this board who I can take their comments with more than a grain of salt :rolleyes:

Agree. Word from Southland folks (including some at McNeese) is that their program is still in disarray. The opinion stated above that NE is not even a decent I-AA is way off base.

GSUhooligan
September 5th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Agree. Word from Southland folks (including some at McNeese) is that their program is still in disarray. The opinion stated above that NE is not even a decent I-AA is way off base.

Tribe, why do we fall 4 spots if the above opinion is way off base. You guys were taken to overtime by NE last year, and you won part of the "mighty A-10" championship.

Tribe4SF
September 5th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Tribe, why do we fall 4 spots if the above opinion is way off base. You guys were taken to overtime by NE last year, and you won part of the "mighty A-10" championship.

My opinion was based on watching the game. I suspected GSU's defense was down some this year, and that was confirmed from my view. If they get better, I'll move them back up. GSU, like most ground teams, must have strong D to succeed at the highest level. That's why I don't have JMU as #1. I question whether their D can perform at the level they did last year.

NE also looked better than I expected, such that they're now a fringe top 25 for me. They are certainly "halfway decent".

All of this is relative to other teams, and it's still early. There's alot more parity in I-AA these days, and as of now, any team in the top 20 might end up as national champion. My opinion that there are 16 teams better than GSU is just that.....opinion. And we all know about opinions. ;) If any of us were really that good, we'd be making our living betting on games, not speculating here.

Sam Adams
September 5th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I don't event think there should be a poll until 3-4 weeks into the season and this game is a great example of why I think that way.

I questioned GSU's defense coming into this game and I question it more now. GSU gave up 22 first downs and 405 yds. NU started a RS QB in first college game and the kid took GSU's defense apart. Also GSU committed too many penalties and the GSU kicking team allowed 170 yds on returns. GSU was lucky to win the game. They simply don't qualify as a top team based on that performance.

Baldy
September 5th, 2005, 12:09 PM
I don't event think there should be a poll until 3-4 weeks into the season and this game is a great example of why I think that way.

I questioned GSU's defense coming into this game and I question it more now. GSU gave up 22 first downs and 405 yds. NU started a RS QB in first college game and the kid took GSU's defense apart. Also GSU committed too many penalties and the GSU kicking team allowed 170 yds on returns. GSU was lucky to win the game. They simply don't qualify as a top team based on that performance.

Sam, you need to take into consideration why the D "looked so bad". It's an easy summation, 5 of the front 7 players were first time starters. Their play in the first half was bad, no doubt, but they started to gel at halftime and only allowed one TD in the second half...a great improvement. Without the KO return for a TD, GSU probably wins going away.

youwouldno
September 5th, 2005, 01:20 PM
You can't forget half of a football game when it's your only game so far in the year. The poll has to be based on what happened, and what happened was that GSU might not have the same defense as in '04. Furman dropped in some polls for the same reason but we didn't give up many yards, just made mistakes.

GSU will be fine, and a big win over McNeese will erase any slight drop in the poll.

McNeese75
September 5th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I'm sorry. I guess we have to beat up on an NAIA to get respect from you.

Beat Bacone, get respect.
Beat NU, you tumble. Makes sense to me. :confused:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Eagles are are top 10 team! :nod:

Sam Adams
September 5th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Baldy, I understand that the Eagles D has lots of new names. That is why I questioned how good they would be at this point in the season. I don't think they played that great. By the end of the season they may be superb, but right now we are talkin bout where this team should be ranked based on the NU game so that is all we got to go with.

BTW NU's defense didn't look good either but then again I don't hear anybody asking whether NU should be ranked.

McNeese75
September 5th, 2005, 02:03 PM
I think they should be lower then where they started just because of their defense. NU may be the second to worst team in the A10 North but the A10 North will be stronger then the South this year.

It is interesting how all A-10 posters keep talking like NE is going to be the whipping boy of the North. Keep thinking that and something tells me some of you that play them will be picking yourself up off the canvas when the smoke clears wondering "What happened????" :eek:

McNeese75
September 5th, 2005, 02:11 PM
HEY, everyone quit with the "McNeese is going to be tough" stuff on here. All this is doing is fanning the flames and making GSU think they have to really kick our arse to stay in the top 10. This will be our first game and with that will come the regular problems of first games. The Pokes will play their best but with the youth and first game jitters (having to run under those six flags ;) :D ) I am just hoping for a competitive game. I will be there, rooting for our D to somehow figure out how to stop Mr. Austin, et al.

charliej
September 5th, 2005, 02:17 PM
It is interesting how all A-10 posters keep talking like NE is going to be the whipping boy of the North. Keep thinking that and something tells me some of you that play them will be picking yourself up off the canvas when the smoke clears wondering "What happened????" :eek:

Not all of us 75.I put a big fat ? next to that W I had penciled in on the sched for the 17th. I'm just glad Nova gets them at home this year.