PDA

View Full Version : MaineJeff

Tailbone
September 4th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Whatever you do, don't give any credit to Maine's defense, you corn bred Bubbas.

Your announcers and fans are arrogant SOBs....and who knows why? Your team hasn't done jack ***** for years now........

Chill out dude.

Maine's getting kudos for their performance.
http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4636

Great game by the way.
The Black Bears performance over the last two years ought to make 1-A's think twice about scheduling you.

Hoo-ah
September 4th, 2005, 08:39 PM
They didn't have any winners on the game score prediction thread. xlolx xlolx xlolx

blukeys
September 4th, 2005, 08:44 PM
where is this quote from Tailbone? I listened to the game on the Huskers radio and while they tried to be nice the Husker announcers unwittingly were condescending. For instance they stated that "this is the biggest game the Maine players will ever be in." (how about playoffs and NC) and "This is more people (NU stadium) than will watch Maine play all season." (Not true during the year Maine went to Delaware and Montana). If they had said this about Delaware (and no doubt they would) it would have gotten my dander up as well.

I disagree with many of the things Mainejeff says especially in the politcial areas. However I am willing to give any of our I-AA brethern a pass when they get emotionally involved in a big game. After all there are some things more important than death, taxes, religion, and politics. One of those things is our respective football teams. :) :) :)

Tailbone
September 4th, 2005, 09:39 PM
where is this quote from Tailbone?

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4611&st=40

Here's the thread that started it all:

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4098

I will say this - for a fanbase that could justifiably be arrogant, most of the husker fans on their message board appear to be a pretty fair-minded bunch.

They just needed to be reminded.

In fact if you read through the whole thread you'll see that most were pretty open-minded and didn't just respond to a challenge with knee-jerk defensiveness. That, to me, speaks well of their fans.

blukeys
September 4th, 2005, 10:36 PM
http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4611&st=40

Here's the thread that started it all:

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4098

I will say this - for a fanbase that could justifiably be arrogant, most of the husker fans on their message board appear to be a pretty fair-minded bunch.

They just needed to be reminded.

In fact if you read through the whole thread you'll see that most were pretty open-minded and didn't just respond to a challenge with knee-jerk defensiveness. That, to me, speaks well of their fans.

I have to agree with you. I appreciate the links as they provide context. I didn't realize that the comments came well after the game. The Husker posts were typical of what one would see on any team's messageboard. The post I saw does nothing for improving the image of I-AA fans. Thanx again Tailbone.

mainejeff
September 4th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I didn't have time to read "the thread that started it all" :rolleyes:

I read the post-game thread and up until the point that I posted, there was nothing but condescending remarks toward Maine and I-AA. I'll stand by my comments and could care less who approves or disapproves of them (esp. Delaware fans)

Tailbone
September 4th, 2005, 11:47 PM

I read the post-game thread and up until the point that I posted, there was nothing but condescending remarks toward Maine and I-AA. I'll stand by my comments and could care less who approves or disapproves of them (esp. Delaware fans)

Jeff,
Go back and read it.
The thread you posted in is not the thread that started all this.
You're right though. The thread you posted in was insulting.

mainejeff
September 4th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Don't sweat it......obviously you are a classy Nebraska fan of which I'm sure there are many. I give you a lot of credit to come over and post here (although I would rather you hadn't ;) ), but unlike some people I'll take my medicine......it was the heat of the moment, and like you said......the thread that I posted on was pretty insulting.

Anyway, good luck to Nebraska the rest of the way......there are many schools in the Big 12 that I dislike (any team from Texas or Oklahoma to start). The better the Huskers do, the better Maine looks.... :) .

Tailbone
September 5th, 2005, 12:10 AM
....obviously you are a classy Nebraska fan of which I'm sure there are many. ........The better the Huskers do, the better Maine looks.... :) .

Actually, I'm a Griz fan - but I will give the devil his due.
In sparring with the Husker fans, I found most to be quite reasonable and for that they deserve some credit.
I too find myself hoping they do well this season if for no other reason than to validate the quality of Maine's performance.

This scouting report should help assauge the pain of being underappreciated

Scouting report: This won’t be as demented a report as what you’d probably get from Maine alum and horror author Stephen King, but James Madison coach Mickey Matthews has a few nonfiction tales about the Black Bears.

Last year, Matthews’ club rallied from a 20-10 deficit in the fourth quarter to win 24-20 at Maine, scoring the game-winner with 48 seconds to play.

Here’s what Matthews, a part-time coach at Kansas State in 1978-79, thinks Husker fans ought to know about the Black Bears:

“Maine will be better than people in Nebraska want them to be. Last year, we went out and played West Virginia. The stadium was very quiet in the first half. I like to say they had that ESPN mentality. If you’re not on ESPN, you can’t play. Maine’ll have some good players and they will challenge Nebraska. The biggest thing Maine is worried about is handling the crowd. Maine really had some active defensive players last year that did a lot of damage at (Mississippi State). I did not think Mississippi State prepared for them very well. There were some strong tendencies that Maine had (defensively) and Mississippi State was running some plays right into the teeth of the blitz. ... I’m sure they thought it would be an easy game.

“This is the least-experienced team Jack’s got. They’re really young. But they’ll have some good-looking kids and have their guys ready. They had as good-looking receivers as anyone in college football last year. They lost Christian Pereria, but the Waller kid, McMahan — when they do a pre-game warmup they’d be as pretty as anyone in the Big 12. ... Their quarterback didn’t play as well last year. He played really well as a freshman. I thought their receivers were the best part of their offense. They can run. Waller’s a physically-impressive guy and the other guy (Arel Gordon) can run fast. He can play in the Big 12.

“(Defensively) they played bad the last half of the season, and I’m really not for sure why. It was almost like it was two defenses. They got all over Mississippi State and they had us. ... They do (gamble). They actually run the same defense that Nebraska does — exactly the same same scheme.

“They’re good enough to make it interesting for a while. And if Nebraska goes asleep at the wheel, it’ll be closer than they want. But he’s not going in with as good a team as he had going into Starkville, (Miss.)”

blukeys
September 5th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Don't sweat it......obviously you are a classy Nebraska fan of which I'm sure there are many. I give you a lot of credit to come over and post here (although I would rather you hadn't ;) ), but unlike some people I'll take my medicine......it was the heat of the moment, and like you said......the thread that I posted on was pretty insulting.

Anyway, good luck to Nebraska the rest of the way......there are many schools in the Big 12 that I dislike (any team from Texas or Oklahoma to start). The better the Huskers do, the better Maine looks.... :) .

Uh!!! jeff my post was number 3 and I the lowly Delaware fan defended you. I have no problem with someone crossing the line to defend their team in a fit of a anger. I will begin doing that next week. I and 99.99% of the other Delaware fans listened to this game and prayed for a Maine win. Lighten Up. We will be competitors later in the year at Orono. What is your problem with Delaware this weekend? We were all on your side and pulling for you!!!!! Help me understand this as I listened to 3 hours of Nebraska U. radio commentary hoping Maine would win and then you trash DELAWARE!!!!

I guess I have the whole A-10 thing wrong. I thought you and the other Maine folks took some pride that we won the NC in '03 and JMU won in '04. Maybe you are one of those who will not be happy unless Maine is the only A-10 team with success. I feel sorry for you. Success for the A-10 reflects well on ALL OF US. Were you happy when NHU beat GSU last year? Or were you jealous because it wasn't Maine? I was ecstatic that UNH did what I knew they could do. A-10 success in my view is good for all of us.

mainejeff
September 5th, 2005, 12:26 AM
You're not a Nebraska fan?......I take it all back then ;)

Seriously, what are you doing going through a Nebraska message board with a fine tooth comb? :confused:

"But he’s not going in with as good a team as he had going into Starkville, (Miss.)” - Mickey Mathews

I really hope that he lives to regret that line......I'll e-mail this to the team ;) .

mainejeff
September 5th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Lighten up blukeys......Thank-you for your support.

blukeys
September 5th, 2005, 12:37 AM

No problem MJ I just didn't understand the Delaware reference when we were all pulling for Maine and no Delaware fans were being critical. As you know UD fans are not exactly shy when it comes to a disagreement ;) ;) :)

Tailbone
September 5th, 2005, 10:23 AM
You're not a Nebraska fan?......I take it all back then ;)

Seriously, what are you doing going through a Nebraska message board with a fine tooth comb? :confused: ......... .

No fine toothed comb - this is all contained in about 4 clearly labelled threads.

What started it all was a comment made by a Maine player (Justin Knox) who stated that the BBears would not be intimidated by crowds or noise because they had played at Delaware and Montana (the loudest place he'd ever played).
The fans on the Huskerboard thought it pretty funny (ludicrous) that anyone thought 20k fans could make as much noise as 80k. They ridiculed Knox, poked some fun at Montana and puffed their chests about how they were going to school Knox and the Bears on big-time football.

That of course invited some defensive reponses from Griz fans and the rest of the ensuing discussion followed from that.

I understand your indignation but really, those Nebraska fans that refuse to admit that Maine has a good football team have crafted their own punishment - they now have to contemplate the possible alternative.... that their own team is less than they had hoped and that they will have to suffer through a season of disappointment. This kind of anxiety and doubt will last long into the season, even if Nebraska wins their remaining games.
And, at some point, reasonable fans will realize and admit that maybe the BBears weren't so bad after all.

igo4uni
September 5th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Ralph, it looks like people get some sort of $ reward based on the number of times they post on Husker Board. Wha'ts up with that?? And of course, Can it be done here?? (I know there's a big budget!!) :D :D

peace

igo4uni