PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh @ Yale Game Thread

LehighFan11
October 13th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Lehigh plays @ #16 Yale starts at 12:30...lets hope for another great overtime game..

LehighFan11
October 13th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Yale drives down to the Lehigh 4 yard line and McLeod fumbles...recovered by Lehigh...thank god because Yale was moving the ball with no problem

bulldog10jw
October 13th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Yale drives down to the Lehigh 4 yard line and McLeod fumbles...recovered by Lehigh...thank god because Yale was moving the ball with no problem

McLeod's first fumble since, I think, the middle of last year.

LehighFan11
October 13th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Yea i was shocked....Pastore is out so Kamkam and Carter are going to ahve to get it done

Eaglegus2
October 13th, 2007, 11:55 AM
This is a good game. Glad I found it flipping through the channels.

LehighFan11
October 13th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Yea it should be a good contest....Lehigh moving the ball well down to the Yale 10

LehighFan11
October 13th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Touchdown Sedale Threatt 1 yard run

LehighFan11
October 13th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Lehigh stops Yale from 1st and goal and hold them to a FG....7-3 Lehigh early 2nd quarter

bulldog10jw
October 13th, 2007, 12:20 PM
So far, it's going the way Lehigh wants. Yale is the team making the mistakes. Inside the 10 twice and only 3 points to show for it.

LehighFan11
October 13th, 2007, 12:23 PM
OMG Sedale rolls out and throws a perfect pass downfield to Fitzgerald and he flat out drops it ...big missed opportunity

LehighFan11
October 13th, 2007, 12:37 PM
14 yard td run by McLeod.....10-7 Yale

ngineer
October 13th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Well, I just rolled in from New Haven. Bowed but not broken. I notice the thread stopped in the second quarter--of course the end of the game was Yale winning 23-7. Yale's ground game is something to behold. McLeod is amazing. Of course, they had some great blocking seams for him, but he doesn't go down with an arm. Set a Yale record with 276 yards.

Lehigh's defense just got worn out in the second half as Yale's time of possession was 41-19!! The Brown & White played much more spirited than last week, but unfortunately against a team like Yale, one has to take the opportunities given. Twice Mike Fitzgerald dropped passes that would have been touchdowns. One near midfield where Threatt hit him in stride on a beautiful pass..right in the hands. Later in the half Threatt hit Fitzgerald at the three. Yes, the pass was slightly behind, but as a former receiver, if the ball hits you in the torso (cutting across right to left) ball at the left armpit, a D-I receiver should hold on. After that, Yale just controlled the line of scrimmage and pounded away.

Offensive play calling for LU was also questionable, again. Lehigh still in the game and driving in the fourth quarter had a fourth and four at Yale's 25 or so, and threw a swing pass that Yale smelled out from the get go. On fourth down, one needs to go vertical! All the wasted time and motion going sidewaysxsmhx. At the time Yale led 20-7 and plenty of time. A score then, would have made a very interesting fourth quarter.

Unfortunately, the game turned out as feared. Lehigh's D played their hearts out and controlled McLeod early. Yes, he had a lot of yards, but he wasn't getting in the endzone. Lehigh had a few opportunities arise (Yale's fumble at the Lehigh 5, a holding penalty negating a td that resulted in a fg), only to drop the two TD passes and fizzle on the nice fourth quarter drive that would have put them in position to still win. Threatt, again, was horribly inconsistent. Some very nice passes, including a beautifully engineered 70 yard drive just before the half that fizzled with the dropped pass. Then he threw three INTs that seemed to be thrown right into the numbers of the Yale defenders in the second half.

Brannon Thomas missed the entire second half with left shoulder in sling and Yale took advantage of his replacement a few times. LB Brickner also on crutches from the second quarter on--could be serious knee damage. Tim Diamond was all over the field and may have outdone his performance two weeks ago when he had 22 tackles. Both McGowan and Pastore did not dress, and the freshmen Walker and Kankam, were contained for the most part. Lehigh never able to get a credible ground game going which allowed Yale's rush to pin their ears back and put good pressure on Threatt. For the life of me, I don't know why the coaches continue to have him roll out to HIS LEFT!! He's a right-handed thrower and is continually throwing horrendous passes when on the move to his left.

Well, Lehigh's season comes down to a new start next Saturday against Holy Cross,,or it ends. With a league loss already, another will put the kebash on any realistic chance to win the League. It is unlikely anyone is going to run the table in the PL. Someone should beat Fordham. If Lehigh can win the remainder of their games, and they are capable of doing it, there is still a shot. But the offense had got to put it together now or it will be over. With HC coming to town, we're going to need some points and Coen and Brown (the OC) need to have some serious therapy this week and figure out how to make it go.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 13th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I put my impression of the game as well:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Lehigh is basically in "playoff mode" now - and this offense needs some serious answers, or October 20th is going to be "crapsville" time for the Mountain Hawks.

LehighFan11
October 13th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I wasn't totally dissapointed with Lehigh's effort today. The defense played about as well as possible expect for a few third down plays. Yale had great sucess on 3rd down when Lehigh could of got themselves off the field. McLeod is a beast and with that offensive line they are unstoppable.
Offense is quite a different story. Lehigh is obviously hurt without Pastore or McGowan. Their offensive line has had major problems and can't protect Sedale. I think alot of it has to fall on the offensive playing calling. I'm not sure how coen thinks you can run I-form for 3 plays then go to Shotgun for 3 plays. You cant get any consistency changing play calling that often. They go into the shotgun and start running Wr options and QB draws then go to Iform and run counters and play action roll outs. Coen needs to pick one and get good at one formation. Sedale played relatively well expect for a few throws. Coen asks Sedale to rollout way too much. Calling a shotgun rollout play only complicates things for a college QB. Coen needs to simpifiy the offense and get back to basics. Without Pastore or McGowan it might be a good idea to get into the shotgun and let Sedale throw the ball short. No need to chuck it down the field just get 5-10 yard out and curl routes. One last point, huge missed opportunity was when Sedale rolled out on 3rd and 8 and threw a perfect ball across his body to Fitzgeraland and he flat out dropped the ball.
Huge game next week and Lehigh is in the playoffs from here on in!

YaleFootballFan
October 13th, 2007, 09:43 PM
OMG Sedale rolls out and throws a perfect pass downfield to Fitzgerald and he flat out drops it ...big missed opportunity

That right there was the turning point of the game. Fitzgerald catches that ball, it's 14-3 Lehigh. Instead, Yale gets the ball back, scores a TD and makes it 10-7 Yale.

ngineer
October 13th, 2007, 10:31 PM
That right there was the turning point of the game. Fitzgerald catches that ball, it's 14-3 Lehigh. Instead, Yale gets the ball back, scores a TD and makes it 10-7 Yale.

Agreed it was huge, but I thought the stupid face mask penalty we took when we sacked the Yale QB, which would have forced the Eli to punt from their own 20 on fourth down, but resulted in a Yale first down at their own 45 to be followed on the very next play by McCleod going 55 yards to the endzone, was just as big. Score was still 10-7 at the time, and we would have gotten ball around mid-field.

I don't see anyone in the Ivy coming close to Yale...except Harvard. They have enough to make it interesting.

Doc QB
October 14th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Congrats to Yale. Unknown, still what kind of team we have, but Yale's O-line play and McLeod are really, really impressive. Shame they will not showcase their talent in playoffs after they dismantle Haaaavard.

Our offense is offensive. We just dont't have guys making plays. Period. Sedale made some poor throws, hitting a dropping LB in the flat directly in his line of site, but did hit a few guys on the chest he had no business delivering the ball to, and they flat out ***** the bed. Someone needs to be the finisher, and no one is stepping up, and we NEED big plays to make up for Sedale's inevitable poor ones. Too many third and long shot gun draws...when they spy the QB, a tailback draw does not work either--offensive coordinator 101. Lack of a running game or not, the proper mix with the "spread" offense can compensate. But we did not. Holy Cross game could be ugly if we are not healthy, have a poor gameplan and bad attitude coming off this loss. Hopefully Coen will rally the troops, hit the video room, and maybe water down the offense, audible, automatic packages, and blitz beaters for Sedale, so he has less going thru his head, and his just executes.

ngineer
October 14th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Congrats to Yale. Unknown, still what kind of team we have, but Yale's O-line play and McLeod are really, really impressive. Shame they will not showcase their talent in playoffs after they dismantle Haaaavard.

Our offense is offensive. We just dont't have guys making plays. Period. Sedale made some poor throws, hitting a dropping LB in the flat directly in his line of site, but did hit a few guys on the chest he had no business delivering the ball to, and they flat out ***** the bed. Someone needs to be the finisher, and no one is stepping up, and we NEED big plays to make up for Sedale's inevitable poor ones. Too many third and long shot gun draws...when they spy the QB, a tailback draw does not work either--offensive coordinator 101. Lack of a running game or not, the proper mix with the "spread" offense can compensate. But we did not. Holy Cross game could be ugly if we are not healthy, have a poor gameplan and bad attitude coming off this loss. Hopefully Coen will rally the troops, hit the video room, and maybe water down the offense, audible, automatic packages, and blitz beaters for Sedale, so he has less going thru his head, and his just executes.

I agree with alot of what you said. Have you noticed when Lehigh goes into it's 'no huddle' and works on the quick release passing schemes, we have moved the ball quite well. Seems like the longer everyone has to 'think' about what they're doing they can't execute. "Just Do It"..;)