PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane relief

skinny_uncle
September 4th, 2005, 07:03 PM
I hear SIU is letting the Red Cross set up booths to take donations at their next home game. Anyone else out there considering this idea?

JMU2004
September 4th, 2005, 07:15 PM
JMU already did.....hopefully 15,000 people emptied thier pockets.

I've been spreading my donations out in $20 incriments......b/t work, school, and national drives....good to see the country donating so much

Hansel
September 4th, 2005, 07:26 PM
NDSU took donations at their home game last week as well

Umass74
September 4th, 2005, 08:17 PM
I have an embarrassing story to tell.

When I went to the Richmond-UMass game Thursday, someone stopped me just inside the entrance and asked for a donation for something (I didn’t hear what he said). I figured it was some kind of Spider athletic thing, so what the hell, I gave them a buck----figuring they might start a pep band or something.

Later in the game they announced that the collections were for the hurricane relief. No wonder the kid looked at me funny! :o

I’ve got a week to go on my vacation. We’re ending with a trip up to Hamilton to see the Colgate game.

As soon as I get back, I’ll send a check to the American Red Cross that will be a lot more than that lousy buck..

bobcatfan06
September 4th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Texas State took donations last night as well. Don't know how much was raised though, haven't heard a number. I think Texas State is also allowing a certain number of students from Tulane and UNO to attend Texas State for free. We are already really cramped as it is (27,000 students) so I think that is why they set a limit.

blukeys
September 4th, 2005, 08:20 PM
I give to the Salvation Army and not the Red Cross. There is no bureacratic overhead and they usually get there before the Red Cross. I had a Sociology Professor (an atheist)while an undergrad who told me that the Salvation Army was the best at a disaster area. His specialty was studying human behavior in disasters so he always had bags packed so if an earthquake or hurricane came thru he could take off immediately. He was not around to teach classes after disasters.

At any rate he told our class that the Red Cross showed up right before the television cameras came and left when the cameras left. He also said the SA didn't require people to fill out forms and that the SA food was much better than the Red Cross. When it was discovered after the 9-11 disaster that the Red Cross diverted 9-11 dollars to their general fund I was thankful I sent my check to the Salvation Army.

ngineer
September 4th, 2005, 10:29 PM
I give to the Salvation Army and not the Red Cross. There is no bureacratic overhead and they usually get there before the Red Cross. I had a Sociology Professor (an atheist)while an undergrad who told me that the Salvation Army was the best at a disaster area. His specialty was studying human behavior in disasters so he always had bags packed so if an earthquake or hurricane came thru he could take off immediately. He was not around to teach classes after disasters.

At any rate he told our class that the Red Cross showed up right before the television cameras came and left when the cameras left. He also said the SA didn't require people to fill out forms and that the SA food was much better than the Red Cross. When it was discovered after the 9-11 disaster that the Red Cross diverted 9-11 dollars to their general fund I was thankful I sent my check to the Salvation Army.

I agree alot with what you post. I have a friend who did a lot of volunteer work for the ARC and then saw the bloated budget for high-priced corporate types to 'run things'..I suppose the ARC does have it's good purposes, but it is not the most efficient in using the dollars. I give to the Salvation Army as well.

grizzpaw
September 5th, 2005, 09:21 AM
montana raised over $7500 last week i hope we can match this again! :D