PDA

View Full Version : Rivalry

DOME
October 12th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Just curious with UNI v SIU this weekend.
Who does your school hate/love to beat most?

danefan
October 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Albany's rival is Stony Brook. Unfortunately we aren't playing again for the next three years! crazy, but what a good game to end (for now) the series on. Last second Albany field goal to win.

TheValleyRaider
October 12th, 2007, 02:31 PM
SUNY-Ithaca

OL FU
October 12th, 2007, 02:40 PM
This year - - - Presbyterian:o xbawlingx

Walkon79
October 12th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Goes without saying

brownbear
October 12th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Either URI or Harvard?

skinny_uncle
October 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM
It depends on the sport.
In football, probably UNI.
In basketball, it has to be Creighton.

Mountain Panther
October 12th, 2007, 03:27 PM

UNI vs YSU trumps UNI vs SIU in football.

citdog
October 12th, 2007, 03:35 PM
V@gina Military Institute- hate but have a smidgen of respect for

Furman- HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT

DuckDuckGriz
October 12th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Fort Lewis

Montana State is our cupcake game

:D

skinny_uncle
October 12th, 2007, 03:43 PM

A lot of folks down here would say Illinois State in football since we have been playing them longer (This year will be the 70th meeting). It just seems that UNI-SIU is often a turning point in the league race in recent years.

turfdoc
October 12th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Goes without saying

No it doesn't.

I am no newby to FCS but I have no clue even what team you root for, much less who you play regularly (sorry I do not have all 100+ helmets memorized)

Tailbone
October 12th, 2007, 04:09 PM
No it doesn't.

I am no newby to FCS but I have no clue even what team you root for, much less who you play regularly (sorry I do not have all 100+ helmets memorized)

Oh, nevermind Walkon, he's a Montana State bobcat fan.
They are arrogant beyond belief and think that everything about their program is not only recognized, but revered.xsmiley_wix

Most incredibly, they think they belong on the same field as the Griz. xeekx
Yup. I couldn't believe it either.

grizband
October 12th, 2007, 04:13 PM
No it doesn't.

Who do you cheer for turfdoc?

McNeese72
October 12th, 2007, 04:16 PM
SLI, USL, ULL, or whatever the hell they call themselves now. Of course, after the game this season, it will probably be another 20+ years before they agree to play us again.

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/ull07gscore.jpg

Doc

DOME
October 12th, 2007, 04:17 PM
It depends on the sport.
In football, probably UNI.
In basketball, it has to be Creighton.

I don't much care for Creighton either...I just like to hate the same team year round.

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 12th, 2007, 04:44 PM
You mean Besides ULM???

AggieFinn
October 12th, 2007, 04:51 PM
UC Davis LOVES to beat:

Sacramento State (sucks!)

also...

Cal Poly
and I feel a rivalry with Univ. of San Diego starting to come on.

skinny_uncle
October 12th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I don't much care for Creighton either...I just like to hate the same team year round.
Maybe we can send you some of our "I h8 Cr8on" shirts.
:D

AppChicago
October 12th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Michigan.

AppChicago
October 12th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Actually, it's hard to say. Historically, WCU. More recently? Furman? GSU? Wofford???? Can I just say "SoCon"?

patssle
October 12th, 2007, 05:17 PM
SFA

The best rivalry in the SLC :D

Cap'n Cat
October 12th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Back in the day, DOMEr, it was UNI-WIU and UNI-EIU.

YaleFootballFan
October 12th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Very simple. Scoreboard.

http://hacks.mit.edu/Hacks/by_year/2006/H_Y_huge_ego/.photos.autogen/scoreboard.medium.JPG

nmatsen
October 12th, 2007, 07:12 PM

Not even close. We are YSU's rivalry. They are not ours. A rivalry is a game that you want to win every year because you go back and forth, back and forth. Like us with SIU, another type of rivalry is a team that beats you every year. As we are to YSU. They are not to us.

Hansel
October 12th, 2007, 07:16 PM
SDSU

also really like to beat Davis in football

GOKATS
October 12th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Goes without saying

Yep! xthumbsupx

JaxSinfonian
October 12th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Troy friggin' State.

Unfortunately, it's been a long time since that happened.

Since then we've enjoyed beating up on Samford. Alas, we're about done with that too, but for different reasons.

The Gadfly
October 12th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Winthrop and Coastal Carolina will ALWAYS be rivals in EVERYTHING. No matter which conference each may move to or if the schools move to different countries, rivals we will always be.

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 12th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Michigan.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 12th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Some will say UMAINE, but for the vast majority of us who bleed UNH blue & white, it is definitely
(Z)UMASS.

skinny_uncle
October 12th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Not even close. We are YSU's rivalry. They are not ours. A rivalry is a game that you want to win every year because you go back and forth, back and forth. Like us with SIU, another type of rivalry is a team that beats you every year. As we are to YSU. They are not to us.

I think you are on to something there. The fact that you just sold out for a game for the first time in a dozen years and it is SIU says something.

UMass922
October 12th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I suppose the closest thing we have to a rivalry right now would be with UNH, but for me, in an ideal world, it would be with UConn. I would support UMass moving up to FBS if it meant joining the Big East and developing a serious, competitive rivalry with the Huskies. I'm not sure it would be as big a deal for most UMass fans as it would be to me (perhaps many might prefer a rivalry with Boston College), but being from Connecticut, it would mean a lot to me personally. It's something I fantasize about.

GannonFan
October 12th, 2007, 10:13 PM
The only one we truly hate are those stinkin' wildcats from nova. Hate 'em.

ngineer
October 12th, 2007, 10:21 PM
No one even needs to ask a Lehigh or Lafayette alum...For the 143rd time on November 17.

BlueHen86
October 12th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Delaware State:D

BlueHen86
October 12th, 2007, 10:23 PM
The only one we truly hate are those stinkin' wildcats from nova. Hate 'em.

villanova has a football team?
Who knew?xrolleyesx

HIU 93
October 13th, 2007, 09:00 AM
It is also our rivalry weekend. Norfolk State- extremely heated rivalry.

Pantherpower
October 13th, 2007, 09:11 AM
No one even needs to ask a Lehigh or Lafayette alum...For the 143rd time on November 17.

Oldest rivalry in all of football, isn't it? Pretty sure I saw/read that somewhere...

Golden Eagle
October 13th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Used to be Middle Tennessee. Now it's probably either Austin Peay or Eastern Kentucky.

bulldog10jw
October 13th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Oldest rivalry in all of football, isn't it?...

No.

TheValleyRaider
October 13th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Oldest rivalry in all of football, isn't it? Pretty sure I saw/read that somewhere...

Longest continually played game, but close enough

bobbythekidd
October 13th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Why has no one from the GSU faithful posted on this?

Furman, Furman, and Furman!

furman94
October 13th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Historically- citadel (the)

Recently- Appy and GSU

Franks Tanks
October 13th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Its the most played Rivalry-- Some of the Ivy schools started playing each other first

No_Skill
October 13th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I don't think anyone can deny that in DII it was UND, but now and into the future it is and will be SDSU. xthumbsupx

Go...gate
October 13th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Lot of debate on whether Colgate really has an arch-rival anymore, but probably Cornell, which is the our most-played opponent. Cornell could care less about beating us, however.

Based on how they fared against Rutgers today, I predict that Syracuse may want to start playing Colgate and Cornell again so they have a chance to win a couple of games in a season.

bulldog10jw
October 13th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Lot of debate on whether Colgate really has an arch-rival anymore, but probably Cornell, which is the our most-played opponent. Cornell could care less about beating us, however.

Based on how they fared against Rutgers today, I predict that Syracuse may want to start playing Colgate and Cornell again so they have a chance to win a couple of games in a season.

I don't see who Cornell's main rival would be, if not Colgate. Columbia? Ceretainly not anyone else in The Ivys. Do they still scrimmage Ithaca College? ;)

citdog
October 13th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Historically- citadel (the)

Recently- Appy and GSU

BEAT THAT BABTIST ASS TODAY!

Franks Tanks
October 13th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I don't see who Cornell's main rival would be, if not Colgate. Columbia? Ceretainly not anyone else in The Ivys. Do they still scrimmage Ithaca College? ;)

Penn-Cornell is the big rivarly for both schools

bulldog10jw
October 13th, 2007, 11:11 PM

I always thought, and still think, Penn would rather beat Princeton. My list of the Ivies rivals, or at least who they MOST want to beat:

Yale and Harvard is obvious.
Brown would most like to beat Harvard. Ditto for Dartmouth.
Penn wants to beat Princeton.
Cornell wants to beat Penn.
Princeton wants to beat Yale.
Columbia wants to beat anybody.

TheValleyRaider
October 13th, 2007, 11:29 PM

In football, I'm not sure that's the case. I think Cornell cares a good deal about beating us. In other sports (hockey), maybe not as much as we want to beat them, but for this one, I think they want this one as badly as any of their Ivy games

Go...gate
October 13th, 2007, 11:29 PM

Right. They used to play every year on Thanksgiving, as did Colgate and Brown.