PDA

View Full Version : Missouri State @ Western Illinois

WIUFan
October 10th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I know its the "B" game in the Gateway this week, but I still haven't seen a thread. I think WIUs defense comes up big at home this week with a few key interceptions, and Donaldson shreds MSU's defense, like he did in the last game last year. WIUs freshman QB finally gets his passing game together too, and throws for 200+ yards.

Western Illinois 24, Missouri State 14

From Football Gameplan:

Missouri State (4-2) @ Western Illinois (4-2)

This is a matchup of strengths. Missouri State and their bruising RB Gerald Davis can run the ball as best as anyone in the FCS. Western Illinois has a stout run defense and can also run the ball. I think that Western Illinois passing attack will finally get on track this game against a shaky pass defense that’s giving up over 270 yards per game. Missouri State lives by the big play, but what happens when you face a defense that does an outstanding job of preventing the big play? Prediction: Western Illinois 27 – Missouri State 20

PMB4Life
October 10th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I call this game the Battle of Teams That Are Halfway Decent.

I think Missouri State stuns a few people with their good offense. WIU should be able to move the ball well also. This one has all the makings of an offensive shootout.

Mountain Panther
October 10th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I call this game the Battle of Teams That Are Halfway Decent.

I won't be looking past either of these teams when we play them. xreadx

Shockerman
October 10th, 2007, 07:28 PM
My gut says I should pull for WIU in an ugly rout... But, I have been watching the Bears program this year. The more that Mo-state wins the more Don Beggs (WSU President) will feel the pressure. So begrudgingly I say go Bears.

unigriff
October 10th, 2007, 08:06 PM
i picked MSU over WIU this week....they didnt let me down against the redbirds....I went 9-3 last week with only losing the Rutgers, Nebraska and Eastern Washington games....so...come on Bears!

skinny_uncle
October 10th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Most people see this as the battle for fourth place in the Gateway at this point. Either team could be dangerous down the line. The loser will be putting one foot on the banana peel if they have playoff hopes this year. It should be a good game.

BearsCountry
October 11th, 2007, 01:17 AM
The more that Mo-state wins the more Don Beggs (WSU President) will feel the pressure. So begrudgingly I say go Bears.

Thats ironic I think the same thing. Shocker football rests on Terry Allen's shoulders.

strike00
October 11th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Thats ironic I think the same thing. Shocker football rests on Terry Allen's shoulders.

I must be missing something obvious :o. Why do you guys think this?

Cap'n Cat
October 11th, 2007, 07:17 AM

I think Wichita is thinking of starting up football again, Striker.

xconfusedx

leatherneck177
October 11th, 2007, 08:42 AM
The Necks will not overlook this Bear team. The loss at Plaster Field last year dropped WIU to 5-6, instead of what most thought would finish as a 6-5 season.

I see WIU coming out with a tight defense. The offense should be a bit better, but we will still run, run, run the ball past them. I'd like to see the passing game step up a bit. No way we get away with running the ball like we have against UNI, SIU and YSU.

Necks 32
Bears 17

MSUBear42
October 11th, 2007, 09:54 AM
MO State wins it after putting up a good balanced attack for 450 yards

MSU 28
Necks 17

BearsCountry
October 11th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Wichita State looks at us as their rival and threat in the majority of the sports. Think about it in about everything we about equal. Very similar at least. The biggest gripe at Stinky Pinky U, is that football would hurt the other sports. Now if they look at us and our football team is successful then they dont want to fall behind.

Shockerman
October 11th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Wichita State looks at us as their rival and threat in the majority of the sports. Think about it in about everything we about equal. Very similar at least. The biggest gripe at Stinky Pinky U, is that football would hurt the other sports. Now if they look at us and our football team is successful then they dont want to fall behind.

That would pretty much sum it up. Go Bears!

MSUBear42
October 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Good to hear from a sane Shox fan.

leatherneck177
October 11th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Are you guys maybe getting a little carried away with this "success"? Wins over Central Arkansas, Illinois State, Missouri-Rolla and UT-Martin? It's not like you're winning the Gateway on a consistent basis.

Does a 4-2 record really "scare" Wichita State into a football program?

I'd say that Wichita State would want a football program if they feel it will increase their overall aspect of university exposure. Fact is, they probably are weighing the amount of exposure and interest the program will generate for them. Will it make them a "complete" university if they are feeling inadequate? Or do they want a FCS program that can also start 4-2?

I am not comparing Missouri State to WIU at all. I am just trying to see the rational of a 4-2 start being leveraged into Wichita State dying to get a football program.

MSUBear42
October 11th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Neck, clearly you dont understand OUR situation too well.

We were freakin 2-9 last year. We've already increased our TD total from last year by 10 TDs, have doubled our wins, and people are actually excited about Bears football for the first time in a long while.

leatherneck177
October 11th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Neck, clearly you dont understand OUR situation too well.

We were freakin 2-9 last year. We've already increased our TD total from last year by 10 TDs, have doubled our wins, and people are actually excited about Bears football for the first time in a long while.

I do understand that. I know that the program has struggled. I just can not see that kind of a start making Wichita State jealous. Even with people talking, if that was the case Wichita State would have brought the program back a long time ago.

I could see with success like Southern Illinois, completely bringing a program back to the top of the FCS. That would bring some serious hype and attention. I am not ruling it out because it appears as though you have an excellent team this year, but I think that Wichita State would really be feeling it IF you guys were pulling in attention about your football program. It is one thing for Springfield to be excited, but is Wichita up in arms about your football program?

My point is, I bet that Wichita is dying for a program, but I do not think Missouri State is the reason why they really want one. I believe they just want their program back one way or another.

How much exposure can a non-major FCS or FBS program generate? That is what the Wichita State president is trying to evaluate. Most athletic departments are dependent on their football programs, but with basketball and baseball being so healthy at Wichita State, do they need one?

MSUBear42
October 11th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I see what you mean.

leatherneck177
October 11th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I see what you mean.

With that being said, it would be nice to have Wichita State bring a program back, maybe somehow we could get them in the Gateway.

AND MY BIGGEST PIPE DREAM:

The merger of the Gateway into the Missouri Valley. Then we could get in for basketball. :)

MSUBear42
October 11th, 2007, 01:24 PM
You can take away evansville. No objection here.

I think everyone dreams of the Gateway becoming the MVC.

bberilam
October 11th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I think this games a toss-up... 50-50... anyone-can-win... kinda game. I will take the bears in a homer pick, they have shown in 3 games now that they can overcome shortcomings (defense, mental mistakes, etc.) and win. It's a team full of guys who know how to win, but they are young and WIU has the defense reputation.

It'll be a good game, wish I could watch it.

You are right WIU in valley basketball is a pipe-dream, not gonna happen.

Bears 41
Necks 31

douglasdmb
October 11th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I always say this, but I will be able to die a happy man if I am able to someday watch a Bears-Shockers football game at least once in my life.

BearsCountry
October 11th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I do understand that. I know that the program has struggled. I just can not see that kind of a start making Wichita State jealous. Even with people talking, if that was the case Wichita State would have brought the program back a long time ago.

I could see with success like Southern Illinois, completely bringing a program back to the top of the FCS. That would bring some serious hype and attention. I am not ruling it out because it appears as though you have an excellent team this year, but I think that Wichita State would really be feeling it IF you guys were pulling in attention about your football program. It is one thing for Springfield to be excited, but is Wichita up in arms about your football program?

My point is, I bet that Wichita is dying for a program, but I do not think Missouri State is the reason why they really want one. I believe they just want their program back one way or another.

How much exposure can a non-major FCS or FBS program generate? That is what the Wichita State president is trying to evaluate. Most athletic departments are dependent on their football programs, but with basketball and baseball being so healthy at Wichita State, do they need one?

Its not this year I am talking about it, its over a longer period which is basically starting now. MSU takes the program up to UNI or SIU standards which is very possible with the coach and resources, it will open up the eyes of Wichita State, I guarantee it.

skinny_uncle
October 11th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Good to hear from a sane Shox fan.
I'll have to get back to you on that one after I mull it over a bit.
xlolx

Shockerman
October 11th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I always say this, but I will be able to die a happy man if I am able to someday watch a Bears-Shockers football game at least once in my life.

THat makes two of us my friend. Having a successful Mo-State would in fact be a huge deal. The MVC is in the middle of facility arms race right now. Whatever WSU does, Mo-State does better. THey have an indoor practice field for Baseball, now we are building one. It goes on and on. Watching the SWMOSTU Bears sell out plaster and become a top tier team in FCS would be very hard to swallow for SHOX fans. Tulsa used to be our #1 rival. They bit the bullet and kept their football program afloat while we "suspended" ours. At the time many thought they would just go down the tubes. Well that didn't happen. Their basketball team has made huge runs in the big Dance and now the Football team is an annual bowl contender. They are now in CUSA which sits on the BCS board with the big six. It is safe to say that we made the wrong choice.

It is the hope of many Shocker fans that we don't make the wrong choice again. Although it may be a while, Missouri State has ambitions of someday being in a major FBS conference. Will they get there? Not right away but it is safe to say that their transition to DI has been a splashing success, so there is no reason to bet against them. To see another rival leave for the Greener pastures would not go over well.

When WSU starts up Football again, the long term goal will be FBS. Like it or not that is the way it is. In the future it is very likely that the MVC will return to FBS Football. SIU is getting prepared with Saluki way, MO-State is getting ready to announce a new east side bleacher expansion, Illinois State has made their intentions very public and our currently trying to fund a new FBS sized stadium, Northern Iowa has proved to be a huge success in the Valley they could easily make that transition with us. That is 4 Valley schools who could and will go FBS, add in WSU, Tulsa, WKU and YSU and you would have 8 core teams that would make up the new Valley.

WSU
ISU
UNI
SIU
TU
MSU
WKU
YSU

Keep Bradley and Creighton for a total of 10 schools. We could keep the round robin in both Basketball and Football. Evansville, ISU Blue and Drake would likely accell in either the OVC or Horizon.

This is all wild specualtion. The whole point is that WSU will not let another rival leave us behind again. I personally like FCS Football and would be thrilled to play at that level. However, most shox fans have a complex when we are compared to KU or K-State. Ask a TU fan, they know all about that.

MSUBear42
October 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I'd love having TU back in the Valley, I think it would be best for them, too.

bberilam
October 11th, 2007, 04:21 PM
THat makes two of us my friend. Having a successful Mo-State would in fact be a huge deal. The MVC is in the middle of facility arms race right now. Whatever WSU does, Mo-State does better. THey have an indoor practice field for Baseball, now we are building one. It goes on and on. Watching the SWMOSTU Bears sell out plaster and become a top tier team in FCS would be very hard to swallow for SHOX fans. Tulsa used to be our #1 rival. They bit the bullet and kept their football program afloat while we "suspended" ours. At the time many thought they would just go down the tubes. Well that didn't happen. Their basketball team has made huge runs in the big Dance and now the Football team is an annual bowl contender. They are now in CUSA which sits on the BCS board with the big six. It is safe to say that we made the wrong choice.

It is the hope of many Shocker fans that we don't make the wrong choice again. Although it may be a while, Missouri State has ambitions of someday being in a major FBS conference. Will they get there? Not right away but it is safe to say that their transition to DI has been a splashing success, so there is no reason to bet against them. To see another rival leave for the Greener pastures would not go over well.

When WSU starts up Football again, the long term goal will be FBS. Like it or not that is the way it is. In the future it is very likely that the MVC will return to FBS Football. SIU is getting prepared with Saluki way, MO-State is getting ready to announce a new east side bleacher expansion, Illinois State has made their intentions very public and our currently trying to fund a new FBS sized stadium, Northern Iowa has proved to be a huge success in the Valley they could easily make that transition with us. That is 4 Valley schools who could and will go FBS, add in WSU, Tulsa, WKU and YSU and you would have 8 core teams that would make up the new Valley.

WSU
ISU
UNI
SIU
TU
MSU
WKU
YSU

Keep Bradley and Creighton for a total of 10 schools. We could keep the round robin in both Basketball and Football. Evansville, ISU Blue and Drake would likely accell in either the OVC or Horizon.

This is all wild specualtion. The whole point is that WSU will not let another rival leave us behind again. I personally like FCS Football and would be thrilled to play at that level. However, most shox fans have a complex when we are compared to KU or K-State. Ask a TU fan, they know all about that.

This would be amazing... the best conference re-allignment strategy I've seen. But it can't happen until 2011 because of the D1 FBS lock right?

BearsCountry
October 11th, 2007, 06:12 PM

WSU
ISU
UNI
SIU
TU
MSU
WKU
YSU

As much as I love to have Tulsa back they are happy being with the Texas schools. Go north and you will see the future IMO. NDSU and SDSU. But I would love your conference. xthumbsupx

MSUfan2010
October 11th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I know its the "B" game in the Gateway this week, but I still haven't seen a thread. I think WIUs defense comes up big at home this week with a few key interceptions, and Donaldson shreds MSU's defense, like he did in the last game last year. WIUs freshman QB finally gets his passing game together too, and throws for 200+ yards.

Western Illinois 24, Missouri State 14

From Football Gameplan:

Missouri State (4-2) @ Western Illinois (4-2)

This is a matchup of strengths. Missouri State and their bruising RB Gerald Davis can run the ball as best as anyone in the FCS. Western Illinois has a stout run defense and can also run the ball. I think that Western Illinois passing attack will finally get on track this game against a shaky pass defense that’s giving up over 270 yards per game. Missouri State lives by the big play, but what happens when you face a defense that does an outstanding job of preventing the big play? Prediction: Western Illinois 27 – Missouri State 20

He may have but who won that game last year? Better defense, better offense, better players all around.

Bears 42
Leatherwhatevers 31

I-AA Fan
October 12th, 2007, 11:30 AM

WSU
ISU
UNI
SIU
TU
MSU
WKU
YSU

This is probably for another forum, but what makes you think YSU would want to leave the Horizon? Certainly not for men's basketball. Maybe the MVC womens programs are better, but that is it. The Horizon is the darling of the NCAA tournament media over the last few years. Clearly the selection committee realized their mistake from a couple years ago & will not go 4-deep in the MVC again ...and the MVC is always top-heavy, where the Horizon is far more of a balanced MBB conference. YSU would have baseball issues as well. They compete well in the Horizon. In the Mid-Con they alway's finished second behind Oral Roberts & the conference never saw more than a single bid. The same thing would happen in the MVC. It would take WIU 5 to 10-years to become competitive at that level.

Then there is the fact that YSU is about 6 hours from the closest GFC school (an issue that haunts them in football & will be even worse in 2008, thank you DSU's) ...Lady Pen's volleyball & soccer budgets do not allow the teams to frequent the Youngstown airport.

MSUBear42
October 12th, 2007, 11:33 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Now that's funny! Horizon better than the Mo Valley in Mens Hoops? Baseball? haha, thanks for the laugh.

I-AA Fan
October 12th, 2007, 01:37 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Now that's funny! Horizon better than the Mo Valley in Mens Hoops? Baseball? haha, thanks for the laugh.

Again, not football, but I did not say baseball, in my last comment. In fact, I said just the opposite.

Men's basketball in the HL ...9 teams and only one has not made the DI dance ... (YSU is that team) of the remaining 8 that have made the dance, 7 teams advanced, and 6 have made the sweet-16. 2 elite-8, one great-8, 2 final-4 (showing my age) & one national champion (Loyola). The Horizon League has sent 17 teams to the NCAA Tournament in the last 10-years. Those clubs have produced 11 wins, including four "Sweet 16" appearances. Also, I never used the word "better" ...you did. Feel free to take this to the non-football threads.

BearsCountry
October 12th, 2007, 01:37 PM
This is probably for another forum, but what makes you think YSU would want to leave the Horizon? Certainly not for men's basketball. Maybe the MVC womens programs are better, but that is it. The Horizon is the darling of the NCAA tournament media over the last few years. Clearly the selection committee realized their mistake from a couple years ago & will not go 4-deep in the MVC again ...and the MVC is always top-heavy, where the Horizon is far more of a balanced MBB conference. YSU would have baseball issues as well. They compete well in the Horizon. In the Mid-Con they alway's finished second behind Oral Roberts & the conference never saw more than a single bid. The same thing would happen in the MVC. It would take WIU 5 to 10-years to become competitive at that level.

xlolx xlolx xlolx
MVC > Horizon

4 teams a mistake? 2 of them made the Sweet 16. Your best team lost to our worst and the only reason you got a second bid this year is bc Wright State upset Butler.

MSULB#47
October 12th, 2007, 02:15 PM
You seem to think that the Bears Defense has NEVER seen its share of exceptional running backs....

The kid who run's like a truck at UT-Martin...Rice with ISU and Blow.....

Donaldson will be no surprise...he will take his licks too.....

That doesnt suggest WIU will win If he runs for 200+ yards either

Bears Defense is a bend but dont break setup....they make the plays that they have to....

Someone mentioned WIU will have an exceptional passing game?....xnonono2x

The WIU QB will have to read the 'cover 2' scheme and make adjustments....on the fly?

WIUFan
October 12th, 2007, 05:27 PM
He may have but who won that game last year? Better defense, better offense, better players all around.

Bears 42
Leatherwhatevers 31

Yeah MSU won last year, but WIUs defense was horrible compared to this year. MSU snuck the victory out in the last five minutes, at home, in a game that had zero playoff implifications. WIU still dominated the game. Things are a lot different this year for WIU and MSU, not only is the situation different (both teams are playoff contenders and WIU is at home), but the teams are a lot different too. I'm saying that WIUs defensive improvements will be the deciding factor in the game this year, and because MSUs defense really hasn't shown any signs of improving compared to last year, I see no reason that Donaldson won't run wild.

Cap'n Cat
October 12th, 2007, 05:35 PM

Then there is the fact that YSU is about 6 hours from the closest GFC school (an issue that haunts them in football & will be even worse in 2008, thank you DSU's) ...Lady Pen's volleyball & soccer budgets do not allow the teams to frequent the Youngstown airport.

The farther and longer Youngstown stays away from a good conference in basketball, the better. Keep WIU, too. We don't need any less-than-mediocre programs from any less-than-mediocre conferences.

xnodx

MSULB#47
October 12th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Yeah MSU won last year, but WIUs defense was horrible compared to this year. MSU snuck the victory out in the last five minutes, at home, in a game that had zero playoff implifications. WIU still dominated the game. Things are a lot different this year for WIU and MSU, not only is the situation different (both teams are playoff contenders and WIU is at home), but the teams are a lot different too. I'm saying that WIUs defensive improvements will be the deciding factor in the game this year, and because MSUs defense really hasn't shown any signs of improving compared to last year, I see no reason that Donaldson won't run wild.

uuh excuse me...the defense is much improved from last year...it was the defense who made the stops in our wins to put us in a position to win.....

we are just about dialed in....

Again, who cares If Donaldson runs wild...the kid at UT Martin ran wild...but he was stopped when it was on the line.... Blow and Rice ran semi wild....:D ...but they stopped them and made the plays that allowed the offense to fire off!

Defense wins games..Offense scores the points....

WIUFan
October 13th, 2007, 04:22 PM
uuh excuse me...the defense is much improved from last year...it was the defense who made the stops in our wins to put us in a position to win.....

we are just about dialed in....

Again, who cares If Donaldson runs wild...the kid at UT Martin ran wild...but he was stopped when it was on the line.... Blow and Rice ran semi wild....:D ...but they stopped them and made the plays that allowed the offense to fire off!

Defense wins games..Offense scores the points....

WIU 31, MSU 10

Just like I said.

douglasdmb
October 13th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Congrats to WIU on what was a bigger blowout than the score indicated. You clearly have a real shot at stealing a spot near the top from UNI, SIU, and YSU. I hope to see you guys back in the playoffs this year. xthumbsupx

Reed Rothchild
October 13th, 2007, 10:56 PM
WIU might be back!