PDA

View Full Version : ASU's D-line changes

Saint3333
October 10th, 2007, 12:07 PM
http://www.wataugademocrat.com/2007/1008/shakeupatdefensiveline.php

IMO this could be the missing link for our defense to get back to where there were last year. If ASU can stop GSU from running up the middle in two weeks they will know they can stop anyone.

wocorebel
October 10th, 2007, 12:12 PM
You couldn't really stop Wofford could you, you can blame your young line all you want. They put up over 300 on you just like everyone else. Wofford's attack is better than GSU. I hope we get you again in the playoffs, but it would be only right to have it again at Wofford if Wofford wins out.

Longrifle
October 10th, 2007, 12:15 PM
You couldn't really stop Wofford could you, you can blame your young line all you want. They put up over 300 on you just like everyone else. Wofford's attack is better than GSU. I hope we get you again in the playoffs, but it would be only right to have it again at Wofford if Wofford wins out.

The young line was just one of the issues. Even with all of our issues we still had a chance to win the game. I hope we get you again also, and I don't care where it's played.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Why would it be right? Because you know we'll take your butts in KBS???
On the other hand, it would be better to play you at Wofford again, otherwise Ayers will be whining for 10 years..

seantaylor
October 10th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Wofford's attack is not better. GSU leads the nation in rushing. Again.

dungeonjoe
October 10th, 2007, 01:04 PM

hey, take it down a notch. Save some of that enthusiasm for the regular seasonxlolx xlolx

CharlestonAppFan
October 10th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Wofford's attack is not better. GSU leads the nation in rushing. Again.

I believe you are correct Mr. Taylorxthumbsupx ....It will be great to see how the next few games develops as it will give a better indication of how our DL will perform come November and hopefully December. IF we can contain GSU, I like our chances...but that is a big IF IMO.

jonmac
October 10th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Gee, it seems as if the proverbial "chip" has fallen off our shoulder and afixed itself squarely onto at least this woffie's shoulder. We will blame a poorly placed and coached (and young) d-line and remainder of the defense for the wofford loss just like any team would look for the weakness that caused a loss in a game that could have gone either way. Come on, wofford is not the best thing since sliced bread just because they are playing better than most teams the right now. No team is head and shoulders above many others at this particular time in the season. Yes, the conference championship will most likely reside in Spartanburg this year but the rest remains to be seen as far as playoffs and the NC goes. As far as I can see there are still lots of teams that will have a great chance to win it all. I would venture to say that 10 of the 16 in the playoffs, whoever they may be, will have a legitimate shot.

It also seems to me that a new rivalry is brewing in the SoCon between wofford and ASU. Cool.

GOAPPS!!!!!

wocorebel
October 10th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Did I say anyhting about Wofford winning the national championship, all I said is that GSU rushing offense isn't the best, the haven't played a hard schedule yet, and that if both ASU and Wofford run the tables and meet again in the playoffs then it should be held at Wofford being that they won the heads-up during the season and would finish with the same record.

CamelCityAppFan
October 10th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Did I say anyhting about Wofford winning the national championship, all I said is that GSU rushing offense isn't the best, the haven't played a hard schedule yet, and that if both ASU and Wofford run the tables and meet again in the playoffs then it should be held at Wofford being that they won the heads-up during the season and would finish with the same record.

First of all, both Wofford and ASU running the table is a pretty big if.

Secondly, fair or not, stadium size and revenue generation is a factor in deciding who gets the home field during playoffs. The only way Wofford and App meet in the playoffs in Spartanburg is if Wofford has a higher seed than App, and remember-- there's only 4 seeds handed out.

The Moody1
October 10th, 2007, 02:42 PM
"It also seems to me that a new rivalry is brewing in the SoCon between wofford and ASU. Cool."

Not really. Wofford has about two good teams every decade. When they can compete at a high level for two or three seasons in a row then maybe they will become more of a rival. Since they came into the conference they have won 3 out of the 11 games. I guess they can be about as much of a rival as Western. They have won 2 out of the last 10.

CharlestonAppFan
October 10th, 2007, 02:53 PM

I'm not sticking up for GSU (no right minded ASU fan would ever do that xsmhx :( :D xlolx ), but based on the schedule so far, Wofford doesn't have the best rushing attack compared to GSU. Now I agree with you that they haven't played a very hard schedule, but both (ASU & Woffie)teams will find out their (GSU) strength in the coming weeks.

Wise men don't blow smoke without a fire first to fan the flames......be careful of the dreaded crow my fellow AGS'er...xwhistlex xwhistlex

Appdad
October 10th, 2007, 03:09 PM
I think Wofford and ASU are 3-3 in the last 6 years. That sounds pretty competitive to me.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 10th, 2007, 04:17 PM

I think we have played a hard enough schedule with the numbers we have to show that we are not only a good offense, but the best offense in the conference until Armanti Edwards gets back. Compare the offensive production GSU has had against their opponents compared to the other opponents that GSU has played, especially with SDSU, who has played against Northern Iowa, Youngstown State, and Western Illinois.

james_lawfirm
October 10th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Wofford has a great team this year. I too hope to play the Terriers again this year. Only right? Maybe, maybe not. I prefer for the re-match to be in Boone.

WoCoTerrier
October 10th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Not really. Wofford has about two good teams every decade. When they can compete at a high level for two or three seasons in a row then maybe they will become more of a rival. Since they came into the conference they have won 3 out of the 11 games. I guess they can be about as much of a rival as Western. They have won 2 out of the last 10.

We're 42-17 the past five seasons, 26-11 in the SoCon. Throw in this year and we're 47-18, and 29-11 in the SoCon. Looks like we've been a good team more than just 2 years in a decade. What does it take to get some respect?

appstate38
October 10th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Back to the reason for this thread... I like the changes that were made up front. Nothing wrong with tweeking things to help the D be more productive. The Terriers have the respect of the Apps and most of the rest of the SoCon. Just don't go acting like you "walked the dog" on us because that just didn't happen.

WoCoTerrier
October 10th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I don't think you have to worry about Wofford fans being the cocky ones. xsmiley_wix

jonmac
October 10th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Back to the reason for this thread... I like the changes that were made up front. Nothing wrong with tweeking things to help the D be more productive. The Terriers have the respect of the Apps and most of the rest of the SoCon. Just don't go acting like you "walked the dog" on us because that just didn't happen.

Agreed, and that was the main point of my first post until I got to rambling. Teams ALWAYS try to find out what went wrong in a loss and improve upon it. It's not making excuses, just fixing problems. And it seems right now that we have.

I just got rubbed the wrong way a little by that woffie post, maybe I shouldn't have, sorry, but it sounded like we were being accused of making excuses for that loss and I don't believe any of us have.

proasu89
October 10th, 2007, 07:40 PM
http://www.wataugademocrat.com/2007/1008/shakeupatdefensiveline.php

IMO this could be the missing link for our defense to get back to where there were last year. If ASU can stop GSU from running up the middle in two weeks they will know they can stop anyone.

Thought I would remind everyone what the FREAKIN thread is about. Wocorebel, no where in Saint's post has he challenged you or anyone else from Wofford to a pi$$ing contest. xpeacex Read it, don't read it, but please don't start that crap here.

jonmac
October 10th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Thought I would remind everyone what the FREAKIN thread is about. Wocorebel, no where in Saint's post has he challenged you or anyone else from Wofford to a pi$$ing contest. xpeacex Read it, don't read it, but please don't start that crap here.

Thanks, guess I wasn't the only one rubbed wrong by that post. Worst thing is, I let myself get sucked into it. Dang. xsmhx

GWU may not be the best to gauge by but I do think some right decision were made on the D-line. Makes a little bigger, stronger experieced up front. It's also nice to have a capable pass rusher coming from the middle as well as the end as long as Tharrington can get the technique down. The changes should make a big difference as well as the well timed off week.

terrierbob
October 10th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Agreed, and that was the main point of my first post until I got to rambling. Teams ALWAYS try to find out what went wrong in a loss and improve upon it. It's not making excuses, just fixing problems. And it seems right now that we have.

I just got rubbed the wrong way a little by that woffie post, maybe I shouldn't have, sorry, but it sounded like we were being accused of making excuses for that loss and I don't believe any of us have.

Only one "woffie" posted it.

Saint3333
October 11th, 2007, 07:52 AM

WOW read much. ASU has CHANGED it's d-line to include bigger/faster players at the DT as Tharrington moved from DE to DT, which allows the LSU transfer, Washington to start at DE. This will improve our d-line, run defense, and QB pressure.

Scared to come to the ROCK I see.

lizrdgizrd
October 11th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I'm glad we've made changes to the D-line because it's obvious that what we were doing wasn't cutting it. Hopefully this will be the adjustment we need to get us over the hump and back to the NC game. xthumbsupx

appfan2008
October 11th, 2007, 10:54 AM
i think it comes at the perfect time.. and i am glad our coaches see this as a need and are doing something to fix it... we they be as good as last year? who knows but i do know it needed help and i hope/think this will do it

ASUdrummer
October 11th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Every Mon/Wed/Fri I walk into class and chat with Gary (Tharrington) about what's going on and as a result I don't worry too much about our Saturdays. We went into Spartanburg with a beat up team and played an 'okay' game of football. No offense Wofford, but you played your best game of the season against us. Argue that all you want but I'm pretty sure it's the consensus that App is loaded when it's running on all cylinders. As far as our defense, the biggest problem I see is TACKLING!!! The first one or two guys bounce off of the dude. If we can learn to wrap up instead of trying and knocking people out then we'll be fine.

GreatAppSt
October 11th, 2007, 11:13 PM
We're 42-17 the past five seasons, 26-11 in the SoCon. Throw in this year and we're 47-18, and 29-11 in the SoCon. Looks like we've been a good team more than just 2 years in a decade. What does it take to get some respect?

finishing better than 4th more than 3 years out of 10.:D