PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky GOW Prediction Thread - Cats @ Eagles

Walkon79
October 9th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Let's get this started for what is the game of the week in the BSC and may be the game of the week in FCS

MSU 17
EWU 14

DuckDuckGriz
October 9th, 2007, 02:54 PM
MSU 28
EWU 31

It's either going to be a close Eagle win or a reverse blowout for the Cats after EWU had such a letdown the last two weeks.

putter
October 9th, 2007, 02:55 PM
The Cats better bring their D to Cheney. It should be a good game (as much as a game can be by two mediocre Big Sky teams) :p

lizrdgizrd
October 9th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Let's get this started for what is the game of the week in the BSC and may be the game of the week in FCS

MSU 17
EWU 14

Maybe the GOW for the BSC, but not the FCS GOW. xnonono2x

putter
October 9th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Maybe the GOW for the BSC, but not the FCS GOW. xnonono2x

That's why the thread was titled the Big Sky GOW! Take a chill pill lizrd. xconfusedx

Walkon79
October 9th, 2007, 03:05 PM
The Cats better bring their D to Cheney:p

Thus the reason for my prediction. Our D is better at almost every position except Bierman, so I believe this will be a low scoring game compared to last week.

lizrdgizrd
October 9th, 2007, 03:09 PM
That's why the thread was titled the Big Sky GOW! Take a chill pill lizrd. xconfusedx
If I was any more chill my tongue would stick to the roof of my mouth. Read Walkon's original statement again, putter. He claimed it might also be the FCS GOW. I was disabusing him of this notion. xrolleyesx

BSC GOW. xnodx

Walkon79
October 9th, 2007, 03:14 PM
If I was any more chill my tongue would stick to the roof of my mouth. Read Walkon's original statement again, putter. He claimed it might also be the FCS GOW. I was disabusing him of this notion. xrolleyesx

BSC GOW. xnodx

Overstated I'll admit, since only one is currently ranked. I would bet that there won't be a more entertaining game in the country this weekend.

lizrdgizrd
October 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Overstated I'll admit, since only one is currently ranked. I would bet that there won't be a more entertaining game in the country this weekend.
No way to tell until the games are played, but it should be a good one. xnodx

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
October 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I think it all depends on EWU's mentality...if their heads are in the dumps because of their last two losses this game is gonna suck, but if their hungry for a win because of the last two weeks then it'll be good and I think the Cats will come out on top but they better play a lot better than they did against SUU cuz that was almost a huge embarrassment

MSU 24
EWU 17

putter
October 9th, 2007, 05:18 PM

BSC GOW. xnodx

My bad lizrd, one to many Pepsi's has got me spinning. My apologies xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 9th, 2007, 05:43 PM
My Eagles have too much to lose (playoff hopes), and after two narrow losses against formerly ranked and ranked teams, there's no way we let this one slide. A repeat 500+ yards of offense? I doubt it, but Nichols is sure going to try ;)

That, and Boyce is going to be even more pumped after being picked as the Sports Network National Player of the Week.

EWU 27
MSU 21

mvemjsunpx
October 9th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Thus the reason for my prediction. Our D is better at almost every position except Bierman…

What could possibly make you think that?

Tyler Joyce is better than either Bobcat OLB. Loren Utterback is at least equal to Will Claggett. Both Griz safeties (Torrey Thomas & Colt Anderson) are definitely better than Jeff Brown/Ramon Lewis & Kevin Retoriano. Craig Mettler is probably better than Chris Kolone (though they are different types of DT's).

The Montana & Montana St. defenses are built very similarly, though. They're both strongest & deepest & senior-heavy at linebacker (the Griz are a little better & a little deeper). The Bobcat D-line is a little bit better. The secondaries are about even, with MSU having better corners & UM having better safeties.

As for the MSU-EWU game, I think the Eagles win it: 34-21.
The Bobcats usually struggle in Cheney. They will have trouble with Nichols & his receivers (I don't know if Tony Davis will be healthy or not) & Eastern's defense has been better than expected.

GOKATS
October 9th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Cats 31

Eags 21

CatFan22
October 9th, 2007, 07:17 PM

Tyler Joyce is better than either Bobcat OLB. Loren Utterback is at least equal to Will Claggett. Both Griz safeties (Torrey Thomas & Colt Anderson) are definitely better than Jeff Brown/Ramon Lewis & Kevin Retoriano. Craig Mettler is probably better than Chris Kolone (though they are different types of DT's).

The Montana & Montana St. defenses are built very similarly, though. They're both strongest & deepest & senior-heavy at linebacker (the Griz are a little better & a little deeper). The Bobcat D-line is a little bit better. The secondaries are about even, with MSU having better corners & UM having better safeties.

The Bobcats usually struggle in Cheney. They will have trouble with Nichols & his receivers (I don't know if Tony Davis will be healthy or not) & Eastern's defense has been better than expected.

Wrong and wrong.

Peems
October 9th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I think it won't matter whether the Cats have a better D than the Griz because EWU will move the ball. The question is whether or not EWU can get the ball in the endzone. If the Cats bend but don't break, I believe they will win. Also the Cats will have to be more consistent on offense if they want to win. If the cats can score around 25 pts, I believe they will win. In the end I see a close game and I'm really unsure of who will win, one thing is for sure though, I'm glad we are done with EWU xnodx

Walkon79
October 9th, 2007, 10:02 PM

I do agree with the Corner / Safety comparison. Don't agree with the Mettler / Kolone comparison. Griz have a better pass rush, but Cats have a better overall pass defense, IMO.

Bierman and Daly are difference makers and cancel eachother out.

I hope that EWU "O" can't put two of those games back to back, or we could be in trouble. Rolo also needs to play much better than last week, but it sounds like the conditions will be okay. 63 and sunny at game time in Cheney!!

Walkon79
October 9th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I think it won't matter whether the Cats have a better D than the Griz because EWU will move the ball. The question is whether or not EWU can get the ball in the endzone. If the Cats bend but don't break, I believe they will win. Also the Cats will have to be more consistent on offense if they want to win. If the cats can score around 25 pts, I believe they will win. In the end I see a close game and I'm really unsure of who will win, one thing is for sure though, I'm glad we are done with EWU xnodx

Pretty fair assessment on this game, Peems.

I'd like to be done with Eastern, Portland State and NAU at this point, especially with two out of three on the road!!

WyomingGrizFan
October 10th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Eastern Washington Eagles = 38
"I tawt I saw a puddy tat" = 17

EWU starts a desperation run towards the FBS Play-offs winning their next five conference games finishing the regular season 8 - 3.

Puddy tats begin a six game losing streak allowing Bobby Hauck to win his first game in Bozeman and the subsquent beginning of STREAK II!!!

Quite actually, this is the Big Sky second best GOW. The Griz @ Sacramento State is 'el numero uno' BSC GOW.' Which side you guys on?

Griz0383
October 10th, 2007, 10:32 AM
What is MSU's defense ranked in the BSC and the FCS? I can't find the info but I want to see how the BSC defense's break down comparatively if someone could do the correct research! Good luck this weekend MSU!

CrazyCat
October 10th, 2007, 11:04 AM
MSU corner Kory Austin says it all.

" Our offense will hit its stride and when they explode they'll explode all at once. It's more of a ticking time bomb. They didn't go off this game, but next game, watch out."

Cats 40
Eags 17

DuckDuckGriz
October 10th, 2007, 03:51 PM
MSU corner Kory Austin says it all.

" Our offense will hit its stride and when they explode they'll explode all at once. It's more of a ticking time bomb. They didn't go off this game, but next game, watch out."

Cats 40
Eags 17

That's why you should never leave Warm Springs.

;)

cats2506
October 10th, 2007, 04:21 PM
MSU 27
EWU 20

Cats D scores one TD

Ronin
October 10th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Yawn...

CrazyCat
October 10th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Yawn...

Ronin?
http://www.marotti.com/images/smallsize/Family/big%20yawn%20(Small).jpg

DuckDuckGriz
October 10th, 2007, 05:48 PM
MSU 28
EWU 31

It's either going to be a close Eagle win or a reverse blowout for the Cats after EWU had such a letdown the last two weeks.

I got negative rep points from a Texas State fan for this. xlolx

Walkon79
October 10th, 2007, 06:10 PM
What is MSU's defense ranked in the BSC and the FCS? I can't find the info but I want to see how the BSC defense's break down comparatively if someone could do the correct research! Good luck this weekend MSU!

Last I saw the Cats and Griz ranked 1 and 2, or 2 and 1 depending on your perspective, in most major defensive categories. Cats were #1 pass efficiency defense, Griz were #1 against the run. Very close in scoring defense. The only major difference is scores BY the defense. Cats are running away with that one!!

CrazyCat
October 10th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I got negative rep points from a Texas State fan for this. xlolx

Bobcats of any color stick together. We are a very PC species.xsmiley_wix

Peems
October 10th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Last I saw the Cats and Griz ranked 1 and 2, or 2 and 1 depending on your perspective, in most major defensive categories. Cats were #1 pass efficiency defense, Griz were #1 against the run. Very close in scoring defense. The only major difference is scores BY the defense. Cats are running away with that one!!

I can tell you prior to the EWU game the Griz were #1 in the nation in scoring defense with around 10.3 pts per game. Currently I'm sure it went up a little after allowing 23.

Also to CrazyCat, your prediction, while a bit "out there" is very possible. The Griz were just a few dumb mistakes from going up 14-0 at halftime and probably could have put the nail in the coffin against EWU and made it a blowout. If the Cats can score early I like their chances, I've had some time to think about the game and my prediction is...

EWU 24
Cats 27

kalm
October 10th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I've said all along that this year we're a 6-5 team, possibly 7-4 with a few breaks, and 8-3 if we over-achieve. I'm getting tired of games that should go a long way to telling us where were at...

Eastern is in the top 3 (bsc) in scoring, rushing yards, and passing yards. The Cats are not. It's hard to find the defensive stats, but it's safe to assume that, at best, the cats are about the same as the Griz. Eastern will continue the underneath passing game to Boyce as long as it works, but if MSU takes it away, understand that Nichols still has other weapons including a running game effective enought to make successful screens and going over the top off of play action a real possiblity.

I think that Montana had difficulty with our team speed at WR and at DE, so it will be interesting to see how MSU matches up. If our defense plays like it did against the Griz, I don't see us losing this one or possibley any other conference games.

We learned our lesson against PSU and I say we handle the Cats, 37-17.

catbob
October 10th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Keep in mind you are a playing a team that has given up 8.75 points per game (excluding A&M, but still 14.6 with them included), is 4th in the nation in pass efficiency defense, 9th in turnover margin, and has only given up 2 TDs outside of A&M.

Our offense has struggled against man-to-man coverage defenses so far this year, but the #1 rusher in the Big Sky goes to Cheney Saturday, I hope you are ready for a steady dose of Demetrius Crawford, who is only averaging 6.55 yards per carry and 99 yards per game.

If EWU can get the running game working at all, it could be a long day for us. But if we shut that down, and can focus on stopping Nicholls, I think we can hold the EWU to under 21. Whether or not we can score more than 21 remains to be seen. I will say the last 3 games there has been rain, snow, or mud for the Cats, so it will be nice to play on decent conditions for once.

EDITED: to add the fact the Cats D has 10 INTs on the season and only allowed 2 TDs through the air.

kalm
October 10th, 2007, 11:41 PM
We also have 10 picks and have given up signicantly less rushing yards than you, but that might be because teams have had success throwing on us. Your stats might be inflated a bit due to competition - which is not your fault, but you haven't played a good offense since A&M. This one could be tight. Good luck.

already123
October 11th, 2007, 10:49 AM
We can talk about numbers all day but the bottom line is that EWU will not lose 3 games in a row this year, doesnt matter who they are playing this week. Paul Wulf will not let his team (esp this years team) stumble like that