PDA

View Full Version : Next Year's Playoffs

mcveyrl
October 9th, 2007, 01:14 PM
So, I know we've got this year to deal with, but this doesn't really involve one specific team.

It's pretty much a given that 8-3 is the cutoff for the playoffs now. To get in at 7-4 there has to be some extenuating circumstances.

So, once the 12 game schedule starts up is the standard going to be 9-3 or 8-4? Maybe someone that understands probability and statistics knows better than me, but I would think that this affects the way you schedule.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I just happened to think about it and thought I'd bring it up.

skinny_uncle
October 9th, 2007, 01:16 PM
What if some teams play 12 games and others 11? How would that impact your question?

lizrdgizrd
October 9th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Don't forget the new format for the playoffs. That might affect the number of games that can be played too. xnodx

mcveyrl
October 9th, 2007, 01:25 PM
What if some teams play 12 games and others 11? How would that impact your question.

I think it has a huge impact. What if you have four teams: two are 8-3 with an all FCS schedule, one is 9-3 with a DII win, one is 8-4 with a BCS loss.

Would you throw the "out of subdivision" games out and look at that, because I think that changes the way the committee looks at it now if you do.

Don't forget the new format for the playoffs. That might affect the number of games that can be played too. xnodx

I also wondered about this, if we add a week to the playoffs and add a week to the season, does that mean we start in May??xconfusedx

skinny_uncle
October 9th, 2007, 01:31 PM
FBS games count like any other DI game. Seven DI wins is the current standard to receive consideration for an at-large bid. Pick someone you might beat if you are going after a payday. DII games just reduce your chances of getting to seven. If the standard becomes eight with a twelve game schedule, most teams will try to find a twelfth game.

89Hen
October 9th, 2007, 01:48 PM
We had 12 game schedules in 2002 and 2003. Something to remember though is not all teams play 12 just because they are allowed.

2002 At-large selections
Appalachian State (8-3)
Eastern Illinois (8-3)
Furman (8-3)
Maine (10-2)
Montana (10-2)
Northwestern State (9-3)
Villanova (9-3)
Western Kentucky (8-3)

2003 At-large selections
Bethune-Cookman (9-2)
Florida Atlantic (9-2)
Massachusetts (10-2)
Montana (9-3)
Northern Arizona (8-3)
Southern Illinois (10-1)
Western Illinois (8-3)
Western Kentucky (8-3)

mcveyrl
October 9th, 2007, 01:50 PM
We had 12 game schedules in 2002 and 2003. Something to remember though is not all teams play 12 just because they are allowed.

2002 At-large selections
Appalachian State (8-3)
Eastern Illinois (8-3)
Furman (8-3)
Maine (10-2)
Montana (10-2)
Northwestern State (9-3)
Villanova (9-3)
Western Kentucky (8-3)

2003 At-large selections
Bethune-Cookman (9-2)
Florida Atlantic (9-2)
Massachusetts (10-2)
Montana (9-3)
Northern Arizona (8-3)
Southern Illinois (10-1)
Western Illinois (8-3)
Western Kentucky (8-3)

Looks to me like 8-4 is a pretty big no-no.

appfan2008
October 9th, 2007, 01:53 PM

2002 At-large selections
Appalachian State (8-3)
Eastern Illinois (8-3)
Furman (8-3)
Maine (10-2)
Montana (10-2)
Northwestern State (9-3)
Villanova (9-3)
Western Kentucky (8-3)

2003 At-large selections
Bethune-Cookman (9-2)
Florida Atlantic (9-2)
Massachusetts (10-2)
Montana (9-3)
Northern Arizona (8-3)
Southern Illinois (10-1)
Western Illinois (8-3)
Western Kentucky (8-3)

SIU in 03 at 10-1 an at large... wow

GannonFan
October 9th, 2007, 01:55 PM

They tied with UNI and were Gateway Co-Champs that year - they both can't have the autobid.

UNHWildCats
October 9th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Well if a conference has two VERY VERY good teams one season the winner of the matchup gets the auto and a 10-1 gets an atlarge :p

UDBlueLotFan
October 9th, 2007, 02:02 PM
The Gateway is still having nightmares of Newark from 03':D

GannonFan
October 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM
The Gateway is still having nightmares of Newark from 03':D

Another Hen poster - God Bless Ya!!!!!

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/jenkins-12-6-03.gif

2003 UD - Natl Champs, A-10 Champ, and de facto Gateway Champ

89Hen
October 9th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Well if a conference has two VERY VERY good teams one season the winner of the matchup gets the auto and a 10-1 gets an atlarge :p
Having seen them both in action that year, I'm not sure I'd call them VERY VERY good teams. xsmiley_wix

AlphaSigMD
October 9th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Sounds like this could be the SoCon this year...

McTailGator
October 9th, 2007, 09:09 PM

The 18 team thing will NOT pass.

BisonBacker
October 9th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I believe it will pass from what I've read. Seems like most coaches are also in favor of it.

skinny_uncle
October 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM
They tied with UNI and were Gateway Co-Champs that year - they both can't have the autobid.
Yeah.
All based on a three point loss in that
DOME

xoopsx

danefan
October 10th, 2007, 08:44 AM

The bold letters indicate that you are aboslute in this statement? Why such conviction? Do you know something different then the rest of us?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 10th, 2007, 09:06 AM
My guess is 8-4 is not so bad as making sure you have 8 Div-I wins, and then you look at the quality of the wins (ex. beating a FBS team, tough conference, etc.). 8-3 and 9-3 do not look the same as 8-4. I think there will usually be enough teams above .666 to keep 8-4 teams out.

The 18 team playoff sounds very likely next year. :( I'm not a fan.

I know I've read in newspapers that Mickey Matthews (JMU head coach) is in favor of it, as well as AD Jeff Bourne.

89Hen
October 10th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Mickey Matthews (JMU head coach) is in favor of it
MM has never been afraid of speaking his mind about anything. xsmiley_wix

aceinthehole
October 10th, 2007, 09:24 AM

I have yet to read a single published quote from a player, coach, school or conference representative, or NCAA offical that is against the expansion to 18-teams for 2008. If you have one, please post it here.

The 18 team thing is VERY LIKELY to happen for next season, regardless of the objections from some on this board. :p

89Hen
October 10th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I have yet to read a single published quote from a player, coach, school or conference representative, or NCAA offical that is against the expansion to 18-teams for 2008. If you have one, please post it here.
You have a lot of people at places that are on the edge looking in speaking up in favor of it (plus media loonies like Mickey Matthews xsmiley_wix ) so who is going to come out in public and say "I don't like it" (besides gutsy, brave people like me xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix )? :p

BTW, I'm not really kidding. Do a Google search for articles on playoff expansion and you get hits from CalPoly, the Dakotas, Albany, Charleston.... xnodx

aceinthehole
October 10th, 2007, 11:21 AM
You have a lot of people at places that are on the edge looking in speaking up in favor of it (plus media loonies like Mickey Matthews xsmiley_wix ) so who is going to come out in public and say "I don't like it" (besides gutsy, brave people like me xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix )? :p

BTW, I'm not really kidding. Do a Google search for articles on playoff expansion and you get hits from CalPoly, the Dakotas, Albany, Charleston.... xnodx

Yes, I've read many conference and school representatives of the NEC, Great West, Big South, support this expansion in the media. I've also read support from PL, Gateway, CAA, and SWAC officials too. So, I'd argue it has strong support across the entire FCS community.

Of course there are probably some schools/officals that do not support the idea, but I'd guess they are the very small minority and have not made those views known to the public.

Yes, 89 you are gutsy and brave! xbowx :)

Shockerman
October 10th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I think it is safe to assume that as we head towards a 24 team playoff that the 12 game schedule is forever dead. 12 games would only create further conflict. I suppose the one good thing would be that the championship game would get pushed back farther. I think it should be played on New Years Day or eve with the rest of the big bowls. But hey, that is just me.