PDA

View Full Version : NorthDakotaSt?

flexbone
October 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Are they eligible for the playoffs this year?

BearsCountry
October 9th, 2007, 11:58 AM
No, 2008.

flexbone
October 9th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I thought since they are going to ANOTHER conference next year they would be ineligible for 2008?

flexbone
October 9th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I went over to their site and you are right. Next year they will be able to go to the playoffs. What a crock of crap, they need to be able to participate THIS YEAR. I don't understand the logic.

spelunker64
October 9th, 2007, 12:09 PM
xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex

appfan2008
October 9th, 2007, 12:09 PM
it is stupid... if they are fcs then let them participate... i understand the thought behind not letting them but they are a top 5 team...

Mountain Panther
October 9th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Rules are rules. xreadx

BisBison
October 9th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Rules are rules. xreadx

We know, we get it, but it still sucks.xbawlingx xbawlingx But we're having fun anyway. Our playoff is next week at Minnesota. I think we have 3 downtown hotels reserved pretty much top to bottom. I think gopher fans will be close to being outnumbered in their home dome.

Hansel
October 9th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Maybe we should make this a sticky ;)

appfan2008
October 9th, 2007, 01:54 PM
We know, we get it, but it still sucks.xbawlingx xbawlingx But we're having fun anyway. Our playoff is next week at Minnesota. I think we have 3 downtown hotels reserved pretty much top to bottom. I think gopher fans will be close to being outnumbered in their home dome.

i would be very surprise if you outnumber them or even come close!...

i would be impressed if you make it 80-20

Bison05
October 9th, 2007, 01:57 PM

We had more than a 80-20 representation last year. With the UMinn team struggling and the fact that last year's game was so close, we should have a bigger crowd and Minnesota a smaller crowd.

MCCat
October 9th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't doubt if its not close to 50-50! Go Bison!!

Go Bison
October 9th, 2007, 03:06 PM
NDSU travels very well and most Bison fans from ND just plan a vacation out of it. Keep in mind there are thousands of NDSU alumni in the Twin Cities. I work in the Twin Cities and all the Gopher season ticket holders I know are selling their tickets to Bison fans.

BisonBacker
October 9th, 2007, 04:51 PM
It's sounding like 20k is a possibility.

mksioux
October 9th, 2007, 04:58 PM
It's sounding like 20k is a possibility.
I was there last year and it seemed like there was more than 20k Bison fans. Or maybe they were just a lot louder than the Gopher fans. xbowx I would not be the least suprised if it's close to 50/50. Poor Gopher fans. It almost makes me feel sorry for them. xsmiley_wix

JohnStOnge
October 9th, 2007, 05:07 PM
If I remember previous discussions correctly I think the problem is that D-II schools have players that would not normally be eligible in FCS...so they have to wait for such players to "clear" the system. Could be wrong but I think it was something like that. Ralph knows.

One reason I don't like it is I don't get to include NDSU's performances in the records of I-AA/FCS playoff teams vs. I-A/FBS schools.

Maybe next summer I'll try to get whatever the most "official" I-AA/FCS poll has been each year and look at the teams that finished each year ranked vs. I-A/FBS.

JayJ79
October 9th, 2007, 10:53 PM
One reason I don't like it is I don't get to include NDSU's performances in the records of I-AA/FCS playoff teams vs. I-A/FBS schools.

Why not?
They're still a FCS team, they're just not playoff eligible this year.
If an Ivy League team beat a FBS team, would you be able to include that in whatever? (not sure that would ever happen, but still)

Gil Dobie
October 10th, 2007, 06:47 AM

You will be surprised then. I am one that bought 4 tickets from a Gophers season ticket holder. From my small town of 500 in North Dakota, there are at least a dozen that grew up there and are now living in the Minneapolis St Paul area. Lots of ND transplants in Minnesota. Plus, Fargo is only 3.5 hours from the game.

lucchesicourt
October 10th, 2007, 06:58 AM
JOHNSTOnge,

That part about some of the D2 players not beiing elgible because FCS has higher standards is D1AA or FCS propaganda. When UCD was going through the exact same thing as NDSU we heard the same stuff, and the fact is UCD's academic requirements are much higher than those of D1AA or FCS. NDSU is very similar to UCD in that their standards are NOT lowered to get athletes into their program. I know FCS uses this as an argument but that is like a sieve, it just doesn't hold water.

Griz0383
October 10th, 2007, 10:20 AM
If I was a NDSU fan I would be worried about a 2008 season let down and missing the playoffs. Not saying it will happen but the thought of it happening would scare me. Personally, I hope it doesn't since I believe recent NDSU teams would have had much influence in the playoffs. Playing for a conference championship is cool but it’s nothing compared to the national championship. I hope someday to follow the Griz to your dome for some tale gating and watch a game. Good luck this weekend!

spelunker64
October 10th, 2007, 10:25 AM
2008 will be tough because of the loss of our outstanding QB Steve Walker.

WestRiverBison
October 10th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I know a large group of managers from NE North Dakota/NW Minnesota that are coming to the game. They typically go to a Vikings games, but since they suck they decided to come to the Bison game.

If the pre-game is half as good as last year, the Depot will be rockin!!!!!

First, beat Miss Valley State!

AZBison
October 10th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I think that most Bison fans have though of a potential 2008 "down year" especially since we will be starting conference play in the Gateway. I try to be optomistic though. We should have attracted some attention and thus some talent in the last few years.

lizrdgizrd
October 10th, 2007, 10:37 AM
JOHNSTOnge,

That part about some of the D2 players not beiing elgible because FCS has higher standards is D1AA or FCS propaganda. When UCD was going through the exact same thing as NDSU we heard the same stuff, and the fact is UCD's academic requirements are much higher than those of D1AA or FCS. NDSU is very similar to UCD in that their standards are NOT lowered to get athletes into their program. I know FCS uses this as an argument but that is like a sieve, it just doesn't hold water.
I thought it was that the minimum standards for DII were lower than DI, not the particular school's standards. xpeacex

Mike Johnson
October 10th, 2007, 10:46 AM
JOHNSTOnge,

Agreed. It isn't about the players. It is about the rules for reclassifying or being admitted to the NCAA. Every reclassifying institution has to go through the reclassification process and that includes a number of years as a provisional member of the new classification. It has more to do with ensuring that the institution can effectively follow the new rules (reporting requirements and that self monitoring programs are in place to catch rule violations) before full membership is granted. It is also a means of slowing down reclassifications to ensure order in the system. If schools could reclassify instanteously, we would see far more flux than we do now. Provisional members of a classification are not eligible for NCAA sponsored post or pre season tournaments or bowls.

I also agree that almost all the time, the reclassifying program doesn't immediately rise to the top of the new classification, so it is often not an issue. I feel for the team that is as successful as NDSU is this year while they are still a provisional member.

And, I do want to point out that changing conferences would not increase the time of provisional membership. Obtaining a conference membership, however, can decrease the time of provisional membership if the conference is willing to help with and guarantee some of the monitoring that is required.

srgrizizen
October 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I think everyone agrees that it is a shame NDSU can't show how far they would go in the playoffs with one of their best teams ever. But on the bright side, if they win out, there is absolutely no limit to how good they can be in the minds of their fans. The team will be legendary! As the years roll by, they'll be greater and greater, probably deserving of the FCS, FBS and NFL Championships. And the speculation as to how bad they would have pounded the likes of Montana will grow to Bunyanesque proportions, maybe 77 - 0, (oh wait, that's where it is today), and no one will be able to prove otherwise.

Meanwhile, they'll have to be satisfied with recognition in the polls, and a #1 ranking there is already richly deserved. xpeacex

gregatim
October 10th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Hilarious post srgrizizen xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx. We knew the rules when we decided to make the switch. And outside of a vocal minority, not too many Bison fans are squealing that much about the playoff situation. We all agree its too bad we are not eligible, but in the big picture of where we are, we are all just thrilled that Coach Bohl, his staff, and the players have restored the integrity back to our football program after we went through some tough times in the early 2000's.

If we run the table, I can't imagine how sick everyone else will be of hearing about the Bison. Some quotes you might just hear from some of our over-zealous fans in 10 or 15 years if we do go undefeated:

"Our cheerleaders would have beaten Montana by 50, that's why they paid us to not play them.xlolx "

"The NFL was considering allowing the Bison to play in the playoffs as it we were the only team that would have been able to give the Patriots a game.xlolx xlolx "

Disclaimer: The previous post is to be read with heavy sarcasm.

spelunker64
October 10th, 2007, 03:16 PM
What!? We're not eligible!

Ronin
October 10th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I was there last year and it seemed like there was more than 20k Bison fans. Or maybe they were just a lot louder than the Gopher fans

Is there anyone left in ND?

I look forward to seeing your team next year -- welcome to the Gateway.

lucchesicourt
October 10th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I agree it is because the rules say so, NOT because the students do not meet D1AA or FCS requirements as some have said over the years. The rules are the rules, and that is the reason why there is a 4 year waitng period before you are playoff elgible. I was just pointing out that it has nothing to do with academic standards.

FargoBison
October 10th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I agree it is because the rules say so, NOT because the students do not meet D1AA or FCS requirements as some have said over the years. The rules are the rules, and that is the reason why there is a 4 year waitng period before you are playoff elgible. I was just pointing out that it has nothing to do with academic standards.

Your 100% right. It has everything to do with keeping schools out of DI IMO. If it was really unfair the NCAA would have never let schools put two sports on a 2 year fast track.

No_Skill
October 10th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Agreed. It isn't about the players. It is about the rules for reclassifying or being admitted to the NCAA. Every reclassifying institution has to go through the reclassification process and that includes a number of years as a provisional member of the new classification. It has more to do with ensuring that the institution can effectively follow the new rules (reporting requirements and that self monitoring programs are in place to catch rule violations) before full membership is granted. It is also a means of slowing down reclassifications to ensure order in the system. If schools could reclassify instanteously, we would see far more flux than we do now. Provisional members of a classification are not eligible for NCAA sponsored post or pre season tournaments or bowls.

I also agree that almost all the time, the reclassifying program doesn't immediately rise to the top of the new classification, so it is often not an issue. I feel for the team that is as successful as NDSU is this year while they are still a provisional member.

And, I do want to point out that changing conferences would not increase the time of provisional membership. Obtaining a conference membership, however, can decrease the time of provisional membership if the conference is willing to help with and guarantee some of the monitoring that is required.

Let's not forget that this entire process can be waived if the NCAA so chooses.

Example: U Mary in Bismarck began it's transition from NAIA to DII last year. I beleive they were granted full DII status this year.

Why? You tell me.

JohnStOnge
October 10th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Why not?
They're still a FCS team, they're just not playoff eligible this year.
If an Ivy League team beat a FBS team, would you be able to include that in whatever? (not sure that would ever happen, but still)

It's just sticking to an objective criterion for representing "top" I-AA/FCS teams. Years back I decided to use teams that made the I-AA playoffs so as to avoid power ratings and polls because some people don't like power ratings and polls.

No matter what you do, there will always be questions about some "top" teams being left out and others that aren't really "top" teams being in. I personally would use power ratings as the best way, but I know that a lot of people don't like them.

bisonguy
October 10th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Let's not forget that this entire process can be waived if the NCAA so chooses.

Example: U Mary in Bismarck began it's transition from NAIA to DII last year. I beleive they were granted full DII status this year.

Why? You tell me.

IF DI lost it's identity
IF there was a decent loss of members in DI
IF DI was desperate for membership
IF there was little difference between DI and DII in compliance
THEN the NCAA might look at granting exceptions.

However, that's not the case. Gene Taylor has stated numerous times that the four years are needed to get all your ducks in a row to meet the criteria for reclassifying to DI.

BisonBacker
October 11th, 2007, 10:28 AM
If I was a NDSU fan I would be worried about a 2008 season let down and missing the playoffs. Not saying it will happen but the thought of it happening would scare me. Personally, I hope it doesn't since I believe recent NDSU teams would have had much influence in the playoffs. Playing for a conference championship is cool but it’s nothing compared to the national championship. I hope someday to follow the Griz to your dome for some tale gating and watch a game. Good luck this weekend!

2008 will be a challenge since we will be losing our QB Walker to graduation. We will lose him and several other good players but were not alone in that boat. Every team loses good players every year. Successful programs find ways to reload and continue with the successes, look at the Griz. I also think we have a good QB backing up Walker. The only thing I would like to see is that he get some more game experience/playing time. I think we will be seeing that this week against MVSU.

98chev
October 11th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I know alot of ndsu fans that are looking on the bright side of things. For example we were not even supposed to be eligble for a playoff bid for a few more years but they dropped a couple of years for us. However our basketball team will not be eligible for almost a decade.

The one thing that doesn't make sense is the fact that some players (i.e. Steve Walker) will never be able to play in a playoff situation while he is here that just kind of seems un fair to me.

Go Bison
October 11th, 2007, 12:29 PM
However our basketball team will not be eligible for almost a decade.

NDSU's basketball team is eligible for the NIT this year and if they win the Summit League next year they will make the Big Dance. Not sure where you are getting your facts?!?!?!?

TheBisonator
October 11th, 2007, 01:19 PM
NDSU's basketball team is eligible for the NIT this year and if they win the Summit League next year they will make the Big Dance. Not sure where you are getting your facts?!?!?!?

Yep, our b-ball team will go to the Big Dance next year if we win the 2008-09 Summit tournament.

bison gameday
October 11th, 2007, 01:41 PM
i think a bigger issue than lossing many key players is if we will be able to hold on to the coaching staff...
not just bohl but also what about pat p and willie mack eventually someone is going to give these guys more money than what ndsu can match

skinny_uncle
October 11th, 2007, 03:10 PM
2008 will be a challenge since we will be losing our QB Walker to graduation. We will lose him and several other good players but were not alone in that boat. Every team loses good players every year. Successful programs find ways to reload and continue with the successes, look at the Griz. I also think we have a good QB backing up Walker. The only thing I would like to see is that he get some more game experience/playing time. I think we will be seeing that this week against MVSU.
Looking at the Gateway, SIU, UNI and YSU all have senior QBs who will be graduating this year. It looks to me like you walking into a level playing field next year.

RabidRabbit
October 11th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Looking at the Gateway, SIU, UNI and YSU all have senior QBs who will be graduating this year. It looks to me like you walking into a level playing field next year.

Yes, the Jacks, Leathernecks will be returning experienced QB's to toss into that mix. The Jacks' biggest loss will be Parker Douglass, Kicker.

X-Factor
October 11th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I know alot of ndsu fans that are looking on the bright side of things. For example we were not even supposed to be eligble for a playoff bid for a few more years but they dropped a couple of years for us. However our basketball team will not be eligible for almost a decade.

The one thing that doesn't make sense is the fact that some players (i.e. Steve Walker) will never be able to play in a playoff situation while he is here that just kind of seems un fair to me.

Basketball can make the dance in 2008 by winning the Summit league autobid.