PDA

View Full Version : Will 3 Big Sky teams get into the playoffs this season?

Lumberjacks76
September 4th, 2005, 02:53 AM
Montana, Eastern Washington, Montana State?

Paul

Cap'n Cat
September 4th, 2005, 02:58 AM

Paul

Good Lord. It's not even Labor Day yet.

:rolleyes:

MSUCats
September 4th, 2005, 06:40 AM

Paul

Just two. The TV streak of the griz is not the only one that will end this year. :p

ChickenMan
September 4th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Just two. The TV streak of the griz is not the only one that will end this year. :p

Will the Griz be in hibernation by early December... :D

Ronbo
September 4th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Every Sept. we hear this same crap. Keep dreaming.

Lumberjacks76
September 4th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Montana plays at Oregon next. Oregon has a woeful secondary. Houston really made them look bad. A chance for Montana to hang in there against a PAC-10 opponent.

Has a Division I-AA team ever defeated a PAC-10 team?

Paul

MSUCats
September 4th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Montana plays at Oregon next.

Paul

I think so, but certainly not this year. The griz/duck game will be similar to the other Big Sky teams against the Pac-10 yesterday. Lopsided.

If the ducks and griz played last year.....maybe. A story of two different teams this year. I'm pretty sure Lex will find it a little tougher to run at the Ducks DL then Fort Lewis. :spank:

PhantomCAT
September 4th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Berquist and Washington combined can't compete with Kolb from Houston. Kolb is a good I-A qb. B and W are not decent I-AA qb's. The vaunted passing attack of yester-year is done and gone. Give the ball to Lex 50 times and pray.

Proud Griz Man
September 4th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Paul

1990. Montana 22 versus Oregon State 15.
1996. Montana 35 versus Oregon State 14.
Montana has 2 wins versus 12 losses and 2 ties against Oregon State.

Historically, Montana is 0 - 5 versus California, 0 - 4 versus Stanford, 0 - 6 versus UCLA, 0 - 5 versus USC, 1 - 16 and 1 tie versus Washington, 2 - 32 versus Washington State, and 0 - 7 and 1 tie versus Oregon. Some of these games occurred between WWI and WWII when Montana played in a league with many of these PAC10 schools plus Utah.

Regarding next week, UM will be overmatched by Oregon's size, speed, and depth. I hope that UM can compete for 2 or 3 quarters, avoid a blow-out and avoid major injuries. I disagree with some of the Bobcats fan comments, we cannot solely rely on Lex and the running backs. We must mix up the play calling and utilize some short, mid-range, and long passes.

Lumberjacks76
September 4th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Well, the NAU-UofA game last year wasn't so bad. NAU trailed 7-3 entering the 4th quarter. Had a chance to win that one.

I expect a similar game this year.

Paul

JALMOND
September 4th, 2005, 03:23 PM
During yesterday's PSU-OSU game, the TV showed that OSU was 18-2-2 against the current Big Sky members. They broke that down, too, showing that they are 12-2-2 against Montana and 6-0 against the rest (well, 7-0 now).

As for the conference getting three teams in, it depends on how the other conferences do. PSU has a chance to finish third in the conference, yet have four losses (at OSU, at Boise, at EWU and at Montana and no chance for error anywhere else). As we know from last year, four losses and you don't get an at-large. We need to hold serve against the rest (pretty tough) and probably have to steal one of those as well. Montana State and NAU both look tough this year as well.