18. Cal Poly
19. Hampton
20. Western Illinois
21. Richmond
22. Georgia Southern
23. Furman
24. The Citadel
25. Eastern Kentucky

Dropped Out: Eastern Illinois (18), Sam Houston State (19), Illinois State (24)

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Lafayette (54), Eastern Illinois (45), Villanova (32), Grambling St. (30), Missouri St. (29), Sam Houston St. (25), San Diego (22), Alabama A&M (16), Norfolk St. (11), Eastern Washington (9), Southern (9), Elon (6), Illinois St. (5)

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Southern Illinois
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Youngstown St.

89Hen
October 8th, 2007, 12:05 PM
5. Wofford (2)
7. Appalachian St. (2)
22. Georgia Southern
23. Furman
24. The Citadel

Elon (6)
No WCU? xrolleyesx xcoffeex

Hansel
October 8th, 2007, 12:15 PM

East Coast bias within the SoCon xcoffeex

putter
October 8th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Surprising that YSU has the most significant loss. With the Gateway being the way it is they certainly are not out of the conference or playoff picture. I feel there were other losses that put teams on the playoff bubble picture in week 5.

HiHiYikas
October 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Not from me...

OL FU
October 8th, 2007, 12:22 PM

I can tell you are impressedxthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
October 8th, 2007, 12:46 PM
UNI can have #1 (until Saturday).
:D

HiHiYikas
October 8th, 2007, 12:59 PM
If a 35-point victory warrants a 2-position drop, I hope ASU can do the UMass thing next week and climb a spot while idle.

BigApp
October 8th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Surprising that YSU has the most significant loss. With the Gateway being the way it is they certainly are not out of the conference or playoff picture. I feel there were other losses that put teams on the playoff bubble picture in week 5.

I agree. Sad but true, we gotta set some kind of definition of "Most Significant Loss".

Before the changes were made, the last 3 with to be selected would be better classified as "Highest Profile Loss", not Most Significant.

And, once again, the Biggest Win & Loss came in the same game.

BigApp
October 8th, 2007, 01:06 PM
3. Massachusetts (3)
9. James Madison
11. Hofstra
12. New Hampshire
16. Delaware
21. Richmond

Villanova (32)

No Northeastern? xrolleyesx xcoffeex

xsmiley_wix :D xsmiley_wix :D xsmiley_wix

drpnut
October 8th, 2007, 01:07 PM
AGS pollsters can someone help me with this:

How can the Citadel still be ranked, and how is Furman at 2-3 back in?

This makes no sense. If Furman had beaten GA. South. or App or another SoCon I could possibly see it, but not with 10 pt win over the Beach Chickens.

I think the rest of the poll looks about right. All in all a good job, but those two need some revisiting.

Holla

citdog
October 8th, 2007, 01:10 PM

This makes no sense. If Furman had beaten GA. South. or App or another SoCon I could possibly see it, but not with 10 pt win over the Beach Chickens.

I think the rest of the poll looks about right. All in all a good job, but those two need some revisiting.

Holla

Yo, YO, YO,

the mfin 'Dogs be ballin yo! Dey straight up #24!

Holla

OL FU
October 8th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Holla

Citadel lost to a top five team. I don't think it is a stretch for them to be ranked. Furman, still as a lot to prove

citdog
October 8th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Yo, YO, YO,

the mfin 'Dogs be ballin yo! Dey straight up #24!

Holla

see above

HiHiYikas
October 8th, 2007, 01:18 PM
It's very simple, really...I had The Citadel at 21 last week, they lost a conference game to a top 10 team. A 3 or 4 spot drop is adequate, since they're still looking good enough to beat about everybody in the "also receiving votes" list.

Furman hasn't shown themselves to be a top 25 team in my opinion, however.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 8th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Let's see...three teams dropped out of the top 25 that were in it last week, and Furman was 25 last week, and they moved up two spaces to 23. That hardly indicates AGS voters being overwhelmed with their win over Coastal.

El Cid does not deserve to be kicked out because they have proved themselves to be a solid team and lost to an undoubtable Wofford team. And Elon has been receiving votes since they waxed Liberty, so what's new about that?

As for GSU, well, I want you to name a more logical team to replace with the three that were knocked out of the top 25.

slostang
October 8th, 2007, 01:24 PM
If a 35-point victory warrants a 2-position drop, I hope ASU can do the UMass thing next week and climb a spot while idle.

Just a guess, but the drop may have had more to do with the news that Armanti Edwards may out for the season. Elder is a very good QB, but AE is a great QB.

mcveyrl
October 8th, 2007, 01:27 PM
In my poll, Citadel didn't drop as far as Furman did. If anyone was around for our discussion last week, they knew that Furman was in my Top 25 (I think they were 18/19) because I thought they were one of the 25 best teams in the country.

But, I was looking for a more impressive win over Coastal so, even though they won, I rethought my positioning. They're still in my Top 25, but close to the bottom.

The Citadel lost to what is by all accounts a great team. I'm not going to slight them too much - although they did drop a little.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 8th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Just a guess, but the drop may have had more to do with the news that Armanti Edwards may out for the season. Elder is a very good QB, but AE is a great QB.

Or the fact that there is a wide range of opinions of who should make up the top 5, and some people just decided not to include ASU because some other team has impressed them more.

ButlerGSU
October 8th, 2007, 01:42 PM
GSU is ranked too high. Also, how is it that App lost to Wofford yet remains ranked ahead of them?

Death Dealer
October 8th, 2007, 02:15 PM
GSU is ranked too high. Also, how is it that App lost to Wofford yet remains ranked ahead of them?

I think they deserve to be there right now with their record. That may change in the next few weeks, only time will tell.

texcap
October 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM

Here is the top 10 for this week:
1. Northern Iowa (72)
2. North Dakota St. (19)
3. Massachusetts (3)
4. Montana (3)
5. Wofford (2)
6. McNeese St. (1)
7. Appalachian St. (2)
8. Southern Illinois (2)
9. James Madison
10. Youngstown St

It appears to me that Wofford at #5 is ahead of Appalachian State at #7. What are you seeing that is different?xconfusedx

G.S.Green
October 8th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Hampton beat a quality Princeton team on the road. Princeton will most likely win the Ivy this year so one could consider that a statement game of sorts. Until Delaware State looses, you still have to consider HU the second best team in the MEAC and that will make for an interesting argument come selection time.

G.S.Green

appfan2008
October 8th, 2007, 02:25 PM
i wonder how asu can drop after such a dramatic butt whooping of gwu

mcveyrl
October 8th, 2007, 02:29 PM

My guess is that a lot of voters moved Wofford ahead of them with Wofford's win. As for the other spot, I'm not sure. It's possible that they lost some points by voters putting SIU ahead of them after the Salukis' win.

FWIW, ASU moved up in my poll, but that's because Montana dropped a few places.

YaleFootballFan
October 8th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Hampton beat a quality Princeton team on the road. Princeton will most likely win the Ivy this year so one could consider that a statement game of sorts. Until Delaware State looses, you still have to consider HU the second best team in the MEAC and that will make for an interesting argument come selection time.

G.S.Green

Are you sure about that? xrolleyesx

Princeton is probably the third best team in the Ivy, behind #16 Yale and Harvard.

GaSouthern
October 8th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Elon was in my top 25, Furman and GSU were not!

R.A.
October 8th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Princeton is probably the third best team in the Ivy, behind #16 Yale and Harvard.

This is true.

Also remember that... Hampton lost to Delaware State at Hampton. Hampton beat Princeton at Princeton. Princeton beat Lafayette at Lafayette, so essentially at this time on could say that the second place team in the MEAC, is better than the top team in the Patriot League.

Cocky
October 8th, 2007, 04:23 PM
What about Chattanooga? or even vote for next year's Samford. It is just several voters are associated with the SOCON.

AZGrizFan
October 8th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25
10/8/2007
(First place votes in parenthesis)
1. Northern Iowa (72)
2. North Dakota St. (19)
3. Massachusetts (3)
4. Montana (3)
5. Wofford (2)
6. McNeese St. (1)
7. Appalachian St. (2)
8. Southern Illinois (2)
9. James Madison
10. Youngstown St.
11. Hofstra
12. New Hampshire
13. Yale
14. Nicholls St.
15. Montana St.
16. Delaware
17. Delaware St.
18. Cal Poly
19. Hampton
20. Western Illinois
21. Richmond
22. Georgia Southern
23. Furman
24. The Citadel
25. Eastern Kentucky

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Lafayette (54), Eastern Illinois (45), Villanova (32), Grambling St. (30), Missouri St. (29), Sam Houston St. (25), San Diego (22), Alabama A&M (16), Norfolk St. (11), Eastern Washington (9), Southern (9), Elon (6), Illinois St. (5)

No more ridiculous than

3) UMass
9) JMU
11) Hofstra
12) New Hampshire
16) Delaware
21) Richmond

Villanova (32)

;)

UNHWildCats
October 8th, 2007, 04:24 PM

G.S.Green

Yale will have a lot to say about that.

Saint3333
October 8th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Or the fact that there is a wide range of opinions of who should make up the top 5, and some people just decided not to include ASU because some other team has impressed them more.

Coach Moore told the Winston Salem Journal yesterday that ASU would NOT seek a medical red-shirt for AE and that he would play again this season. Maybe that means against GSU. :D

Grizaholic17
October 8th, 2007, 04:33 PM
10/8/2007
(First place votes in parenthesis)
1. Northern Iowa (72)
2. North Dakota St. (19)
3. Massachusetts (3)
4. Montana (3)
5. Wofford (2)
6. McNeese St. (1)
7. Appalachian St. (2)
8. Southern Illinois (2)
9. James Madison
10. Youngstown St.
11. Hofstra
12. New Hampshire
13. Yale
14. Nicholls St.
15. Montana St.
16. Delaware
17. Delaware St.
18. Cal Poly
19. Hampton
20. Western Illinois
21. Richmond
22. Georgia Southern
23. Furman
24. The Citadel
25. Eastern Kentucky

This looks about right for the top 5.

Ivytalk
October 8th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Agreed. This year, the Ivy League looks like Yale and a pack of also-rans. I had the Bulldogs at #12 this week, and they could be a top 10 team very soon.

AlphaSigMD
October 8th, 2007, 04:47 PM
This is true.

Also remember that... Hampton lost to Delaware State at Hampton. Hampton beat Princeton at Princeton. Princeton beat Lafayette at Lafayette, so essentially at this time on could say that the second place team in the MEAC, is better than the top team in the Patriot League.

Perhaps you haven't heard, but the transitive property doesn't apply to sports.

Maybe the MEAC is better than the patriot league, but not because of this logic.

Purple Knight
October 8th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Why the h.. is Montana in the top 10? Simply because they started there preseason. Nothing on the field this year places them in this elite group.

mcveyrl
October 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Why the h.. is Montana in the top 10? Simply because they started there preseason. Nothing on the field this year places them in this elite group.

Yea, but the people that put them there in the preseason knew their schedule. Everybody acts like Montana is scheduling as they go and using that as a reason to drop them out of the Top 10!!

They've dropped in my poll after two unimpressive wins, but prior to that they were doing what I expected a Top 5 team to do to that level of competition, beating the holy heck out of them.

DOME
October 8th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Call me biased, which I might be but I still think SIU deserves a little more respect. Everyone complains about strenghth of Montanas schedule and how they should beat weak teams but a bunch of points or play a good team. Well isn't that what SIU has been doing? a 62 point win over a weak Indiana St at ISU then a win over YSU (still a top ten team to some people) and they get left out in favor of three teams that have already lost this year?

mcveyrl
October 8th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Call me biased, which I might be but I still think SIU deserves a little more respect. Everyone complains about strenghth of Montanas schedule and how they should beat weak teams but a bunch of points or play a good team. Well isn't that what SIU has been doing? a 62 point win over a weak Indiana St at ISU then a win over YSU (still a top ten team to some people) and they get left out in favor of three teams that have already lost this year?

You're biased!!

Actually, I've got SIU at No. 1 right now. If UNI beats them, they'll be No. 1.

CCU97
October 8th, 2007, 06:08 PM
1. Northern Iowa (1)
2. North Dakota St. (2)
3. Massachusetts (3)
4. Montana (7)
5. Wofford (4)
6. McNeese St. (6)
7. Appalachian St. (5)
8. Southern Illinois (9)
9. James Madison (8)
10. Youngstown St. (11)
11. Hofstra (10)
12. New Hampshire (14)
13. Yale (12)
14. Nicholls St. (15)
15. Montana St. (13)
16. Delaware (17)
17. Delaware St. (18)
18. Cal Poly (16)
19. Hampton (19)
20. Western Illinois (22)
21. Richmond (ARV)
22. Georgia Southern(20)
23. Furman (21)
24. The Citadel (25)
25. Eastern Kentucky (ARV)

Eastern Illinois (23), Eastern Illinois (23), San Diego (24)

Others considered: Lafayette, Villanova, Grambling St, Missouri St., Sam Houston St., Alabama A&M, Norfolk St., Eastern Washington, Southern, Elon, Illinois St.

MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Sam Houston St.

JohnStOnge
October 8th, 2007, 06:25 PM

I don't think their accomplishment level this year is among the top 5 but one can argue that they have a lot of starters back from a team that got to the semis last year.

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 8th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Top 5 are OK. Richmond at #21 is too low despite loss on the road to NU. Does anyone other than Ivy Group supporters really consider Yale to be #13 and better than Delaware?

R.A.
October 9th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Perhaps you haven't heard, but the transitive property doesn't apply to sports.

Maybe the MEAC is better than the patriot league, but not because of this logic.

Lol... I just said that one could say that the MEAC 2nd place team is better than the Patriot League 1st place team-- based on a small piece of data that we have on comparative competiton based on a common opponent, Princeton.

Did you take it that I was implying something much more?:D xlolx

Grizaholic17
October 9th, 2007, 12:15 AM

maybe because it's gwu.

ButlerGSU
October 9th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Here is the top 10 for this week:
1. Northern Iowa (72)
2. North Dakota St. (19)
3. Massachusetts (3)
4. Montana (3)
5. Wofford (2)
6. McNeese St. (1)
7. Appalachian St. (2)
8. Southern Illinois (2)
9. James Madison
10. Youngstown St

It appears to me that Wofford at #5 is ahead of Appalachian State at #7. What are you seeing that is different?xconfusedx

I was talking about the coaches poll where App is ranked ahead of Wofford.

Saint3333
October 9th, 2007, 07:58 AM
maybe because it's gwu.

Wow a griz fan talking about weak opponents...xcoffeex

Nice one point win on Saturday.

appfan2008
October 9th, 2007, 08:04 AM
maybe because it's gwu.

yeah you have nothing to say here as you beat a similar team also at home by one point while we beat our opponent by 38... uh dont want to hear it

mlbowl
October 9th, 2007, 08:52 AM
xlolx
yeah you have nothing to say here as you beat a similar team also at home by one point while we beat our opponent by 38... uh dont want to hear it

LMFAOxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Gardner-Webb=Eastern Washingtonxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

MarkCCU
October 9th, 2007, 08:54 AM
10/8/2007

23. Furman
24. The Citadel

Hmmmm even after Citadel's loss to Wofford I think they should still be ranked higher.

terrierbob
October 9th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Coach Moore told the Winston Salem Journal yesterday that ASU would NOT seek a medical red-shirt for AE and that he would play again this season. Maybe that means against GSU. :D

Excellent move. xsmileyclapx

HensRock
October 9th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I don't think their accomplishment level this year is among the top 5 but one can argue that they have a lot of starters back from a team that got to the semis last year.

That argument is valid in week 1 or 2 when you don't have much else to go on. Welcome to Week 7, where for 2 weeks in a row, the Griz have narrowly escaped 2 unranked teams.

Grizzaholic
October 9th, 2007, 03:28 PM

WOW.....This thread made it 4 pages before someone brought up Montana's SOS. Unbelieveable!

mistersykes
October 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM

There's no way that GWU and Eastern Washington are on the same level. Now, you could argue that Montana should have beaten them by more, but to say that the teams are very similar is silly. xtwocentsx

james_lawfirm
October 9th, 2007, 07:21 PM
There's no way that GWU and Eastern Washington are on the same level. Now, you could argue that Montana should have beaten them by more, but to say that the teams are very similar is silly. xtwocentsx

How are GWU & EWU not on the same level? Both are unranked, for starters. Obviously, they both play FCS football. (OK, DUH!) Anyway, to compare them does not sound so silly to me. I think Appfan's earlier post was really meant to disparage Montana's SOS, rather than to compare GW & EW.

catbob
October 9th, 2007, 10:43 PM
EWU would beat the snot out of GWU. Eastern has the #3 offense in the country in terms of total offense, while GWU has put up a whopping 9 TDs this year (compared to 22 for EWU). Matt Nicholls is 3rd in the country in total offense.

FCS Go!
October 9th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Hey Big Sky folks, don't forget that Gardner-Webb is from both the East and the South. They are by definition at least the equal of any Big Sky team, probably better. :D

mlbowl
October 10th, 2007, 07:18 AM
I think Appfan's earlier post was really meant to disparage Montana's SOS

REALLY...ya think?xrolleyesx