PDA

View Full Version : Indiana State: A Report

WIUFan
October 8th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I drove from St. Louis to Terre Haute this weekend for the WIU@Indiana State game, and even though I was happy with the win, I have a new sympathy for Indiana State.

I found the stadium, which oddly enough was about five miles from campus off in some residential/industrial area of town. Obviously, the students aren't going to be too interested in going to a game where you can't walk to, and that was the case because there were practially no students there. The stadium was nothing to write home about either, I found out it was built in 1924, and sure looked like it too, all ugly worn down cement. The attendance was 2411, leaving the middle of the stands totally empty, it was strange just being able to walk to one end or the other in the stands, so I could move with the ball. All of this considered, the fans that were there were great, and still really excited about their team. The new/old coach was really fired up too, jumping out in the field and throwing his hands up in the air on almost every play. Indiana State played pretty well too, I was suprised by the fact that the defense came up big in quite a few situations. As the game ended, the fans for Indiana State gave their team a standing ovation and a round of applause as they walked off the field, even though their team lost by 12.

WIU came up huge when it counted though, and the defense looked great for Western. The cornerbacks played great, and the Indiana State QB was forced to scramble on over half of the pass plays. WIU dominated the game end to end... just couldn't get it in the endzone (or make the field goal) on most drives.

Anyways, just though I'd give some thoughts on a team and town that no one pays a lot of attention to. xrolleyesx

JayJ79
October 8th, 2007, 12:18 AM
that has GOT to be a very tough sell when it comes to recruiting

Zoo
October 8th, 2007, 12:20 AM
that has GOT to be a very tough sell when it comes to recruiting

Yeah seriously.

Recruits like playing in front of nice stadiums.

DelState05
October 8th, 2007, 12:33 AM
LOL yeah teh do have problems with recurits ... They where talking to me when i was looking at teams after my so. season in Jr. College.... I It was between them Del state and Central Mizzo U(D-2) i didnt even take the trip to see the crummy school . Who want sto go to indiana...I gladely picked DSU over them!!!!!!!!!!!!

DFW HOYA
October 8th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Recruits like playing in front of nice stadiums.

I've heard that... :(

skinny_uncle
October 8th, 2007, 07:20 AM
With Raetz being only an interim coach, I wonder how their coaching search is going. It will have to be a guy who really loves a challenge. It will be tough to turn around this program, especially playing in the Gateway.

BearsCountry
October 8th, 2007, 08:20 AM
With Raetz being only an interim coach, I wonder how their coaching search is going. It will have to be a guy who really loves a challenge. It will be tough to turn around this program, especially playing in the Gateway.

Their new AD has impressed me so far. I think he is getting the whole department there turned around.

Killsback
October 8th, 2007, 10:08 AM
How can WIU be happy with only scoring 19 points on a team that had just given up 72 to SIU the week before. That is a moral victory for Indiana State. WIU should be wondering where their offense is.

MSUBear42
October 8th, 2007, 10:13 AM
LOL yeah teh do have problems with recurits ... They where talking to me when i was looking at teams after my so. season in Jr. College.... I It was between them Del state and Central Mizzo U(D-2) i didnt even take the trip to see the crummy school . Who want sto go to indiana...I gladely picked DSU over them!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was unnecessary

JoeNeck90
October 8th, 2007, 05:04 PM
How can WIU be happy with only scoring 19 points on a team that had just given up 72 to SIU the week before. That is a moral victory for Indiana State. WIU should be wondering where their offense is.

I think you're always happy with a win but, yes, 19 was not good. Not happy at all. In all fairness to INST, I'm sure it was a rough week before the SIU game and there probably wasn't much prep time, if any. I saw the SIU game and the WIU game. INST came out inspired and more fundamentally sound. They didn't look as sloppy as the week before. Their defense did pretty well but wore down by the second half and WIU was able to run well. So, I don't think SIU would have hung 72 on 'em, probably 45 to 50, though. Their new coach may have gotten their heads on straight for a game or two.