PDA

View Full Version : SWAC AD: Trying to Play SWAC Foe OOC

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Does not seem like the mandate is going to work when ADs are actively trying to schedule games against SWAC foes OOC. I know that in some cases, they would probably draw better attendance, but this does not help the conference in terms of the mission it apparently set out to accomplish when setting forth a seven game schedule instead of the nine game mandate....

-----------------------
No rematch next year

Alabama A&M and Southern won't play next season when the SWAC begins playing a seven-game schedule, A&M athletics director Betty Austin said earlier this week.

Southern is not one of A&M's designated games and as a result, Southern athletic director Greg LaFleur has opted not to play the Bulldogs.

"I've been talking to Greg for the last five or six months trying to get this deal done," Austin said. "Southern is not obligated to play us under the new seven-game format, but I told him if Southern comes to us in 2008, we'd come back in 2009.

"I haven't given up on it. I've tried extremely hard to get it worked out. I think it's a win-win situation for both of us. He needs home games like I need home games."

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1191764839226770.xml&coll=1&thispage=3

FormerPokeCenter
October 7th, 2007, 10:59 AM
-----------------------
No rematch next year

Alabama A&M and Southern won't play next season when the SWAC begins playing a seven-game schedule, A&M athletics director Betty Austin said earlier this week.

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1191764839226770.xml&coll=1&thispage=3

Now that Alabama A&M has spanked Southern, the Jags ain't gonna play them unless they HAVE to.

Where most teams like to try to get a little payback, Southern likes to avoid asswhippings by not scheduling them....

Mr. Tiger
October 7th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Does not seem like the mandate is going to work when ADs are actively trying to schedule games against SWAC foes OOC. I know that in some cases, they would probably draw better attendance, but this does not help the conference in terms of the mission it apparently set out to accomplish when setting forth a seven game schedule instead of the nine game mandate....

The mission is to allow teams more scheduling flexibility. You will see more non-conference matchups against FCS schools and that's one of the main goals. But some schools cannot afford to eliminate some conference moneymaking matchups, just like some members of the Southland Conference can't afford to stop playing money games against FBS schools.

Panther88
October 7th, 2007, 04:54 PM
The mission is to allow teams more scheduling flexibility. You will see more non-conference matchups against FCS schools and that's one of the main goals. But some schools cannot afford to eliminate some conference moneymaking matchups, just like some members of the Southland Conference can't afford to stop playing money games against FBS schools.

Basically. xthumbsupx

R.A.
October 7th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Southern brings crowds to A&M... Alabama A&M needs Southern.

Alabama A&M brings losses to Southern... Southern doesn't need A&M.

Simple as that.

Why isn't Alabama A&M scheduling a game at home versus Tuskegee??? Seems logical to me.

Crews is huge, like 25,000 I think, and Tuskegee is a natural rivalry for A&M.

Skegee would probably want some money from it. Pay them a little extra for an away opponent. Give them $50,000 each season to come back to Crews... that's big money for any HBCU, but espeically a DII.

Make this game cost $15.00 a ticket since it would be such a big game in Hunstville and for Blacks in Alabama.

$15.00 X 20,000 people = $300,000 - $50,000 for Tuskegee= $250,000.

Add to that advertising dollars form Alabama Black businesses, and Alabama A&M can come away with about $300,000 profit for a home game versus Tuskegee.

Give the Tigers $25,000 up front, $25,000 after the game if money is so tight at A&M.

As the game grows, and it will, raise the price for tickets up to $20.00-$25.00, Alabama folks will still fill Crews up.

Think about it-- Five years from now, Alabama A&M could be sitting on $25.00 per ticket X 25,000 people= $625,000 - $50,000 for Tuskegee = $575,000. Add the advertising dollars and Alabama A&M could have a $600,000- $700,000 HOME GAME!!!

A&M has to be a bit more innovative with their approach, and not be lazy with trying to hustle Southern for a buck... the Jags can play anyone in HBCU football that they want to.

A&M has to keep winning, and build up more big games, aside from just the Magic City Classic and homecoming.

Tuskegee vs. Alabama A&M seems to be there for the taking... heck, even Rich Boy had A&M and Tuskegee Battling in his music video... that might be sort of a clue Bulldogs...

Some schools have all the tools to build something great, but keep looking for John Merrit and Southern U handouts....xrolleyesx

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2007, 06:24 PM

The SLC vs FBS comparison against SWAC vs SWAC in OOC does not hold muster. Those are two different things.

The LA schools need that money (they are competing with one hand tied behind their back) while the others will typically schedule one of those games which is norm for FCS nowadays.

SWAC vs SWAC out of conference is partially the money of (a) hoping a SWAC school will draw and (b) not having to travel too far. However, I really wish these SWAC schools would use this to their advantage and try to find their way out of the cellar of full-scholly FCS football against better competition. Games against better competition will only make the SWAC better especially when playing for the "in-house" league championship.

Oh well, to each their own. It's a shame the SWAC does not put some restrictions on OOC play to their schools. Well, a shame all around that the SWAC does not have standards that their schools need to meet as it relates to athletics and academics as other conferences do whether it limit on guarantee games, limitations on sub-Div I opponents and amount of conference championship sports one must participate in.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 7th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Now that Alabama A&M has spanked Southern, the Jags ain't gonna play them unless they HAVE to.

Where most teams like to try to get a little payback, Southern likes to avoid asswhippings by not scheduling them....
Please stop.

FormerPokeCenter
October 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Please stop.

The truth is an absolute defense. If you don't like it, that's not MY fault.

If you want to change the perception that Southern schedules like dishonorable cowards, then talk to your AD, your Athletic Committee or whomever you have to talk to get them to schedule teams who've beaten you.

That Southern ducks McNeese is an incontrovertable fact. One could make the argument that they don't feel the need to deal honorably with PWC's, based on history, and they'd probably be justified.

But now, you have hard evidence that they do it with a SWAC school too.

What's the common denominator? ANS: Southern gets it's ass whipped and then won't play the other team again.

Objecting to my posts isn't going to change that. Aggressive scheduling will.

SU Jag
October 7th, 2007, 07:46 PM

If you want to change the perception that Southern schedules like dishonorable cowards, then talk to your AD, your Athletic Committee or whomever you have to talk to get them to schedule teams who've beaten you.

That Southern ducks McNeese is an incontrovertable fact. One could make the argument that they don't feel the need to deal honorably with PWC's, based on history, and they'd probably be justified.

What's the common denominator? ANS: Southern gets it's ass whipped and then won't play the other team again.

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x Glad to know that we're on your mind! xlolx

SU Jag
October 7th, 2007, 07:49 PM

Lets get this isht straight. We dog AAMU every year, but they've beaten us in some close games the past 2 seasons. Why schedule a conference team as an OCC game when we can do other wise. Why wont AAMU schedule one of the Alabama schools, maybe because they'll get beat(see Stillman 2006). This topic had nothing to do with McNeese so lets keep it that way.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 7th, 2007, 08:12 PM

No matter how much you cry over it SU isn't going to play McNeese. SU isn't running from aamu. Why schedule them and travel, when we could schedule a home game. Football is buisness first.

FormerPokeCenter
October 7th, 2007, 08:30 PM
xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x Glad to know that we're on your mind! xlolx

It's not so much that you're on my mind, as it is that Southern comes immediately to mind when somebody mentions cowardly scheduling practices.

It's a name brand recognition thing. Kinda like Coke and softdrink, Xerox and copy, Southern and Cowardice....

FormerPokeCenter
October 7th, 2007, 08:32 PM
No matter how much you cry over it SU isn't going to play McNeese. SU isn't running from aamu. Why schedule them and travel, when we could schedule a home game. Football is buisness first.

Exactly, it IS a business, and we went to your place in good faith and wasted our money on a game against a terrible team. The band wasn't able to put on a good show because of the weather.

It's a business and we want to recoup our investment. We don't particularly care about kicking your asses. Been there, done that. There's no challenge in it.

We want our money back....

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2007, 09:29 PM

Is Southern going to play NCCU again? Is that game on tap or what? xconfusedx

SU Jag
October 7th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Is Southern going to play NCCU again? Is that game on tap or what? xconfusedx

I think we go to NCCU next year or the year after.

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2007, 09:55 PM

Good deal...Southern seems to have a schedule in place more so than the rest of the conference especially with renewing the rivalry against FAMU.

Why was Alabama A&M saying you guys needed games? AAMU should be able to get Samford and JaxSt (when they are not playing AlaSt) without fail. What other schools are a short drive from AAMU?

Hansel
October 7th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Delaware played UNH as an OOC.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Montana paid N. Colorado to play them twice a year ;) .

SU Jag
October 7th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Good deal...Southern seems to have a schedule in place more so than the rest of the conference especially with renewing the rivalry against FAMU.

Why was Alabama A&M saying you guys needed games? AAMU should be able to get Samford and JaxSt (when they are not playing AlaSt) without fail. What other schools are a short drive from AAMU?

AAMU needs butts in the seats. They have one of the strangest fan bases I've ever seen. AAMU is deep here in Birmingham, and you can notice it. From car tags, flags, and ect. But their fans dont go to the games on the "Hill". An AAMU alm ripped the fans for only having 13,000+ at homecomming last week, which was the worst attended homecomming in years. Besides the John Merritt Classic(Tennessee State), Homecomming, and the Magic City Classic their fans dont show up. And thats has AAMU alums pi**ed! Southern is one of their big draws, so is Jackson State. Samford would fill the need that AAMU needs. Samford fans arent flocking to games either. AAMU is more interested in playing teams like Miles or Tuskegee because they know they can get 40-50,000 or more in Birmingham for those games. I think AAMU will lay in Birmingham next season against Tuskegee, I know that Miles and Bama State might have something comming up. AAMU wants "BIG" games, JSU and Samford cant provide you with that.

Mr. Tiger
October 8th, 2007, 12:31 AM
AAMU needs butts in the seats. They have one of the strangest fan bases I've ever seen. AAMU is deep here in Birmingham, and you can notice it. From car tags, flags, and ect. But their fans dont go to the games on the "Hill". An AAMU alm ripped the fans for only having 13,000+ at homecomming last week, which was the worst attended homecomming in years. Besides the John Merritt Classic(Tennessee State), Homecomming, and the Magic City Classic their fans dont show up. And thats has AAMU alums pi**ed! Southern is one of their big draws, so is Jackson State. Samford would fill the need that AAMU needs. Samford fans arent flocking to games either. AAMU is more interested in playing teams like Miles or Tuskegee because they know they can get 40-50,000 or more in Birmingham for those games. I think AAMU will lay in Birmingham next season against Tuskegee, I know that Miles and Bama State might have something comming up. AAMU wants "BIG" games, JSU and Samford cant provide you with that.

You are correct. Alabama A&M is indeed unique. They don't draw very well at home. Their fans are in Birmingham. Their AD has to work hard to find games that will attract fans or face budget cuts.

GeauxLions94
October 8th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Yoo hoo. Southern. We'll play you. Have LaFleur call Erdmann and let's get this thing started. xnodx xnodx xnodx

BgJag
October 8th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Yoo hoo. Southern. We'll play you. Have LaFleur call Erdmann and let's get this thing started. xnodx xnodx xnodx

Always thought that would be a good game because of location. (approx 50 miles). The Biggest problem is your stadium size. Less than an hour away is like a home game but how many of our fans will get inside the stadium? j/K.xcoffeex

BgJag
October 8th, 2007, 11:09 AM

The conference set the 7-games that count since the elimanation of the 9 game mandate, and AAMU is not one of our 7 games. Are you advocating that we still play the other teams, although they won't count toward the conference standing or try to Schedule non-OOC games. You, T.T. and others can't have it both ways. Your hate and resentment toward our school shows b/c we will not give you a pay day at home. With 3 OOC game available I hope our A.D. is thinking the same thing if not I have the ear of the people to get him replaced. Nothing personal, just business.xpeacex

89Hen
October 8th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Some schools have all the tools to build something great, but keep looking for John Merrit and Southern U handouts....xrolleyesx
Sounds familiar RA. xeyebrowx xcoffeex

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM

WTH Dude???

Southern is trying to schedule someone besides a SWAC opponent and you jump on them for this...xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

MOVE ON!!!! You McNeese fans are Obsessed.

jstate83
October 9th, 2007, 01:43 PM
The SLC vs FBS comparison against SWAC vs SWAC in OOC does not hold muster. Those are two different things.

The LA schools need that money (they are competing with one hand tied behind their back) while the others will typically schedule one of those games which is norm for FCS nowadays.

SWAC vs SWAC out of conference is partially the money of (a) hoping a SWAC school will draw and (b) not having to travel too far. However, I really wish these SWAC schools would use this to their advantage and try to find their way out of the cellar of full-scholly FCS football against better competition. Games against better competition will only make the SWAC better especially when playing for the "in-house" league championship.

Oh well, to each their own. It's a shame the SWAC does not put some restrictions on OOC play to their schools. Well, a shame all around that the SWAC does not have standards that their schools need to meet as it relates to athletics and academics as other conferences do whether it limit on guarantee games, limitations on sub-Div I opponents and amount of conference championship sports one must participate in.

Now see.
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt before you posted this bullshat.

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 9th, 2007, 01:51 PM

Isn't that ONE of the purposes for dropping the SWAC Mandate?????

Do people always contradict themselves like this??? First McNeese about Southern....Now this???

WILL PEOPLE JUST LET THE SWAC BE!!!!!!!

I almost forgot....Don't let that Southland Schools need money BS fool ya....Come up here and you'll get a PRIME example....

The school NEEDS money but can pay millions for a clock that doesn't even work properly and a stupid water fountain....Nice way to hit up the Alums eh???

jstate83
October 9th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Believe it or not, I'll bet in 2 year's, JSU will not only be playing both SU and GRAM in the regular season.
Maybe both every 3 or 4 years but not both in the same year, every year.

I just got that feeling we will only meet one of ya'll in B-Ham from now on and I truly believe that it will be GRAM that the SWAC bump's off our regular season schedule.
P.View and Texas Southern are likely 2 other's that will be dropped.

No way the SWAC gonna give up, depending on where it's played, 45,000 to 50,000 people for a regular season game SU/JSU.

jstate83
October 9th, 2007, 02:01 PM
[/B]

Isn't that ONE of the purposes for dropping the SWAC Mandate?????

Do people always contradict themselves like this??? First McNeese about Southern....Now this???

WILL PEOPLE JUST LET THE SWAC BE!!!!!!!

I almost forgot....Don't let that Southland Schools need money BS fool ya....Come up here and you'll get a PRIME example....

The school NEEDS money but can pay millions for a clock that doesn't even work properly and a stupid water fountain....Nice way to hit up the Alums eh???

Hey man, you know how it is. xlolx
They say they want us in the playoff's but then say we don't deserve a spot based on competition.

They say we need to schedule more OOC games, (no argument from me), and then want to hand pick those games for us.

I get good laugh's here sometimes.
The teams I want is any out of Louisana, Hampton, Famu, SCSU.

Renew some old series like SFA and play DEL ST again like back in the late '80's and 90's.

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 9th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Hey man, you know how it is. xlolx
They say they want us in the playoff's but then say we don't deserve a spot based on competition.

They say we need to schedule more OOC games, (no argument from me), and then want to hand pick those games for us.

I get good laugh's here sometimes.
The teams I want is any out of Louisana, Hampton, Famu, SCSU.

Renew some old series like SFA and play DEL ST again like back in the late '80's and 90's.

Hard for me to get a laugh when it gets old though....xrolleyesx

We should be worried about Southland teams making the playoffs and actually WINNING a Title....Not about who other conferences schedule. **** THAT.....I'M WORRIED ABOUT IF WE WILL ACTUALLY FIELD AN OFFENSE TO BE ABLE TO MAKE FIRST DOWNS!!!!!!! :D

How embarassing....:o :o :o

I believe I'm starting to understand how Montana fans feel a little.....

BgJag
October 9th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Hard for me to get a laugh when it gets old though....xrolleyesx

We should be worried about Southland teams making the playoffs and actually WINNING a Title....Not about who other conferences schedule. **** THAT.....I'M WORRIED ABOUT IF WE WILL ACTUALLY FIELD AN OFFENSE TO BE ABLE TO MAKE FIRST DOWNS!!!!!!! :D

How embarassing....:o :o :o

I believe I'm starting to understand how Montana fans feel a little.....

About time someone from the SLC post something that make sense. Btw, can you get me reservation the weekend of the christmas festival?:D xthumbsupx xreadx

UCABEARS75
October 9th, 2007, 03:39 PM
UAPB has taken the opportunity to actually seek us out and we will play them in '08 & '09 (at least) in Little Rock.

This gives them (and us) a chance for a $$$ game, hopefully we will draw 25,000 or more, play a D-Iaa team OOC, and give both teams fans basically a home game.

I applaud UAPB's new athletic director as this comes just a few years after they walked out on a contract for three games.

GeauxLions94
October 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Always thought that would be a good game because of location. (approx 50 miles). The Biggest problem is your stadium size. Less than an hour away is like a home game but how many of our fans will get inside the stadium? j/K.xcoffeex

That's why I said New Orleans.

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 10th, 2007, 01:07 PM
About time someone from the SLC post something that make sense. Btw, can you get me reservation the weekend of the christmas festival?:D xthumbsupx xreadx

Thought it was first come, first serve???

I wouldn't know....I've never been the 5 years I've lived here.

FormerPokeCenter
October 10th, 2007, 01:18 PM
The conference set the 7-games that count since the elimanation of the 9 game mandate, and AAMU is not one of our 7 games. Are you advocating that we still play the other teams, although they won't count toward the conference standing or try to Schedule non-OOC games. You, T.T. and others can't have it both ways. Your hate and resentment toward our school shows b/c we will not give you a pay day at home. With 3 OOC game available I hope our A.D. is thinking the same thing if not I have the ear of the people to get him replaced. Nothing personal, just business.xpeacex

I don't hate Southern and I don't resent Southern. Not having any respect for somebody isn't the same thing as hating them or resenting them.

The facts are these. I don't expect a payday from Southern. I expect them to repay the courtesy we extended to them in going to their place first, which we did even AFTER they reneged on the original promise to play.

We went to their place, spent money, gave THEM a welfare-like payday and when it comes time to recoup that, they ducked us. That's not an honorable way to conduct business, but it's apparently the Southern way. I guess we all have to go with our strengths....

I find it predictable and humorous that they won't schedule yet another team that beats their ass...

FormerPokeCenter
October 10th, 2007, 01:19 PM
WTH Dude???

Southern is trying to schedule someone besides a SWAC opponent and you jump on them for this...xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

MOVE ON!!!! You McNeese fans are Obsessed.

No, we're not obsessed, we've just got good memories.

Southern's dishonorable. There's no other way to look at it....

BgJag
October 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Thought it was first come, first serve???

I wouldn't know....I've never been the 5 years I've lived here.

thought you might have connection with a bed & breakfast. I've been wanting to come there for the last few years but I prefer to spend atleast one night in town instead of driving back. I here rooms are booked that weekend. Guess I'll have to limit my drinking and drive back to Lafayette or Baton Rouge afterward.xthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
October 10th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Really?! I might have to find some tickets for that one. xchinscratchx