PDA

View Full Version : How would you rank the SoCon teams right now?

GSU Eagle
October 6th, 2007, 09:44 PM
After today's games I would put it this way right now:

1. Wofford. I don't think anyone could argue with that.
2. Appalachian St. This one seems a no-brainer right now also.
3. Georgia Southern and Citadel. Tie for now.
4. Elon
5. Furman
6. Chattanooga
7. Western Carolina

Yes I know Chattanooga beat GSU, but look at the overall picture.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 6th, 2007, 09:52 PM
If you use the same etiquette that applies to regular polls, then I think that this is right. But if you want to take into account injuries....with Armanti Edwards, ASU may be better than Wofford. UTC may be better than Furman with Miller. As for GSU and El Cid, who knows, we'll settle it in Statesboro on October 20th for GSU's homecoming game.

drpnut
October 6th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Hey FCS_pwns_FBS

I believe Appy is just as good with Elder as they are with Edwards. Edwards did really nothing against Wofford. Sure he was still nicke up some, but he must have been near healthy or they would have held him out. I think had he been able to play the whole game against Woffy it would not have made much of a difference.

Holla back.

Peace

GaSouthern
October 6th, 2007, 10:21 PM

4. Elon
5. Furman
6. Chattanooga
7. Western Carolina

So El Cid really withdrew from the conference after their whipping today??? xlolx

Eyes of Old Main
October 6th, 2007, 10:24 PM
So El Cid really withdrew from the conference after their whipping today??? xlolx

Did they run off to the Big South to be with VMI so they could be "more competitive"?

chattanoogamocs
October 6th, 2007, 10:29 PM

I can understand you putting GSU ahead of Chattanooga...GSU is 4-1 and UC is now 1-4. They got the head to head, but GSU is obviously a better and more consistent team. Bizarro Mocs, as per usual, are all over the place.

GaSouthern
October 6th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I'd say we've played the two worst conference teams and are 1-1 we are not close to being #3 right now.

GaSouthern
October 6th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I can understand you putting GSU ahead of Chattanooga...GSU is 4-1 and UC is now 1-4. They got the head to head, but GSU is obviously a better and more consistent team. Bizarro Mocs, as per usual, are all over the place.

You guys have a great team, just need a coach, very much like GSU of last year xcoffeex

But what do I know, our own beloved coach lost to the mocs xeyebrowx

Seven Would Be Nice
October 6th, 2007, 10:33 PM
The ranking sounds about right. I think Elon, El cid, and GSU are the biggest "uncertains" at this point. Mostly Cid and GSU tho.

youwouldno
October 6th, 2007, 10:37 PM
GSU is a very, very weak 4-1. No good wins and one bad loss. Looking at the rest of the Eagles schedule, best case is 7-4, and 6-5 is more likely. And 2 more wins aren't a sure thing.

So far as the SoCon generally, #1 and #2 are obvious. Everything else is totally up in the air.

T-Dog
October 6th, 2007, 10:44 PM
1. Wofford Hands down. Ran the SoCon gauntlet and have the tools to make a huge impact.
2. Appalachian St On the rebound and definate two
3. Citadel Tough loss today but they aren't out.
4. Elon Almost blew it this week but they stay here for consistantly good play.
5. GaSo UTC loss hurts them in the standing and the fact there defense is very suspect.
6. Chattanooga Although they lost to C-N, the win in Statesboro propels them up.
7. Furman Nothing so far has impressed me about them this year. And Coastal isn't that good.
8. Western Carolina Just like last year me thinks.

chattanoogamocs
October 6th, 2007, 10:49 PM
You guys have a great team, just need a coach, very much like GSU of last year

But what do I know, our own beloved coach lost to the mocs

I believe the vast majority of Moc fans...me included...completely agree.

Your coach is only 5 games into a clean up effort...our coach has plenty of time to improve and produced only one winning season.

When you team is that inconsistent, you gotta start looking at the coaching staff.

I hate always being the fan (alum) of the SoCon team that has some really great players...but never has any real success (coaching, coaching, coaching)

I am a BIG Hatcher fan...I am quite envious of you guys. (I have said it a number of times on here...I rallied Moc fans about Hatcher the last time we had a coaching change, but Steve Sloan had pre-picked his "boy" Rodney...and we now have 15 wins and 35 losses to show for it)

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 6th, 2007, 11:00 PM
GSU is a very, very weak 4-1. No good wins and one bad loss. Looking at the rest of the Eagles schedule, best case is 7-4, and 6-5 is more likely. And 2 more wins aren't a sure thing.

So far as the SoCon generally, #1 and #2 are obvious. Everything else is totally up in the air.

SDSU isn't a good win? They are just a few big plays from being 4-1 in a very tough schedule. No way in heck to do we lose 4 or more games if Foster stays unhurt for the rest of the season.

I think there's a decent chance that we can upset either Appy or Wofford on the road, and I doubt that we will lose to both The Citadel and Elon. That and I think we have the easiest FBS game by far out of all of the teams in the Socon and we have a decent shot at winning the game.

youwouldno
October 6th, 2007, 11:50 PM
SDSU isn't a good win? They are just a few big plays from being 4-1 in a very tough schedule. No way in heck to do we lose 4 or more games if Foster stays unhurt for the rest of the season.

I think there's a decent chance that we can upset either Appy or Wofford on the road, and I doubt that we will lose to both The Citadel and Elon. That and I think we have the easiest FBS game by far out of all of the teams in the Socon and we have a decent shot at winning the game.

I didn't realize how bad Colorado St was. I just was thinking of the first two games, which they lost but played very close @ Colorado and home vs. (soon to be #1) Cal. Still they aren't as horrible as the 0-5 record indicates.

I expect GSU to lose 1 home game, between Citadel and Furman, and then 2 or 3 of the 4 away games. GSU fans are optimistic all of the sudden but the fact is, you haven't played anyone yet.

AppStateold299
October 7th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Hey FCS_pwns_FBS

I believe Appy is just as good with Elder as they are with Edwards. Edwards did really nothing against Wofford. Sure he was still nicke up some, but he must have been near healthy or they would have held him out. I think had he been able to play the whole game against Woffy it would not have made much of a difference.

Holla back.

Peace

I have to disagree with you on the fact that Elder is not as good as Edwards. He does not give us the same options as with a healthy Edwards. Yes Edwards played for a while in the Wofford game, but there is no doubt that it wasn't a healthy Edwards. I think it would have changed the outcome of that game if he was healthy. It was said he wasn't 100%, but they played him anyways hoping an almost healthy Edwards would put a W on the board.

gvilleapp
October 7th, 2007, 07:38 AM
After watching the game yesterday, I think CoCo Hillary gives App the option of mixing up the game sorta like Florida did last year with Leak and Teabo. I think we all knew what kind of runner CoCo would be from the QB position, but I couldn't believe the touch he had on his passes.

With CoCo and Trey both in the game at the same time, that is a lot for a defensive coordinator to try and prepare for. Trey has played lights out since coming in for AE in the second half against Wofford, but I don't think the staff will hesitate to use CoCo in some running situations. CoCo is like AE in that he can break off those 25+ yard runs on the QB draws and such. I still hope AE fully heals and we have a three headed monster at QB.

I hope we get another chance at the Terriers and I don't much care where we play them. To be the best you gotta beat the best. For App to win the re-match I think the most important factor for us is tackling. We proved we can score on the Terriers, but we didn't prove we could stop them. I like the changes I see up front on the DL. Tim Washington the LSU transfer is starting to live up to the billing and Gary Tharrington's move to DT sure looked good yesterday.

Man, I love football season.

I have to disagree with you on the fact that Elder is not as good as Edwards. He does not give us the same options as with a healthy Edwards. Yes Edwards played for a while in the Wofford game, but there is no doubt that it wasn't a healthy Edwards. I think it would have changed the outcome of that game if he was healthy. It was said he wasn't 100%, but they played him anyways hoping an almost healthy Edwards would put a W on the board.

OL FU
October 7th, 2007, 07:42 AM

4. Elon
5. Furman
6. Chattanooga
7. Western Carolina

Generally I would agree but I think The Citadel still probably takes third. Very hard to compare records at this point. Furman's isn't good but we have played a tough schedule. GSU's is good but GSU hasn't played a tough schedule. Still I think you have us in the right place:(

But next week may change it all.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2007, 08:55 AM
For what it's worth, Furman would be undefeated and a top 10 team with Georgia Southern's schedule right now.

SDSU: 2-3
UWG: 1-5 (only win over powerhouse Clark Atlanta)
UTC: 1-4 (with their only win coming over GSU)
WCu: 1-5
CCU: 1-4

GSU's opponent's combined record is 6-21. Only one team Furman has played to date has a losing record (CCU) while every team on GSU's schedule has a losing record.

Hard to rank teams when the competition level has been this different. App, Furman, GSU, The Citadel, and Elon have one conference loss. It'll be an interesting show the rest of the way.

TheCatamount
October 7th, 2007, 09:33 AM
WCU is a legit team now with Hearns at QB

blueballs
October 7th, 2007, 10:12 AM
For what it's worth, Furman would be undefeated and a top 10 team with Georgia Southern's schedule right now.

I've seen both Furman and SDSU play and I'm not prepared to say that Furman would defeat SDSU. As for the rest of the teams on that schedule, I'd agree. However, Furman was not any more dominant against CCU at home than GSU was on the road.

We'll know everything we need to know about GSU after the next 3 weeks- @Elon, @ASU, vs. The Citadel.

Right now I think the SoCon gets two teams- Wofford and ASU- in for sure with Wofford having an excellent chance for a seed, and Citadel has a reasonable shot as well.

GSU will have to win out at home and split on the road defeating either ASU or Wofford to get in... that's a taaaaaaaaaaaall order.

Furman has to win out and that means beating ASU at home and El Cid and GSU on the road, which is a longshot and very unlikely.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 7th, 2007, 11:31 AM

SDSU: 2-3
UWG: 1-5 (only win over powerhouse Clark Atlanta)
UTC: 1-4 (with their only win coming over GSU)
WCu: 1-5
CCU: 1-4

GSU's opponent's combined record is 6-21. Only one team Furman has played to date has a losing record (CCU) while every team on GSU's schedule has a losing record.

Hard to rank teams when the competition level has been this different. App, Furman, GSU, The Citadel, and Elon have one conference loss. It'll be an interesting show the rest of the way.

No doubt we have an easier schedule so far than you guys do, but I don't know if I'd say that you guys would be undefeated. I'll say one thing, though. I'm pretty sure that SDSU is a better team than Hofstra is. I'm not sure how you guys would have done playing Coastal at their place, either.

DuckDuckGriz
October 7th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I haven't seen much, but I was pretty impressed with UTC's showing at Arkansas yesterday.

youwouldno
October 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM
No doubt we have an easier schedule so far than you guys do, but I don't know if I'd say that you guys would be undefeated. I'll say one thing, though. I'm pretty sure that SDSU is a better team than Hofstra is. I'm not sure how you guys would have done playing Coastal at their place, either.

Hofstra is much, much better than SDSU.

GSUhooligan
October 7th, 2007, 12:24 PM
SDSU would be 5-0 with Hofstra's schedule too....

09/08 Furman W 32-17
09/15 at Albany W 28-13
09/22 at URI W 37-24
09/29 Stony Brook W 33-28
10/06 Maine W 38-13

youwouldno
October 7th, 2007, 12:38 PM
SDSU would be 5-0 with Hofstra's schedule too....

09/08 Furman W 32-17
09/15 at Albany W 28-13
09/22 at URI W 37-24
09/29 Stony Brook W 33-28
10/06 Maine W 38-13

Probably. But its still incorrect to say that, since SDSU has played better teams and lost, that they are a better team.

By that logic, Furman is better than GSU, which is the contention GSU fans have been arguing against (though I personally did not make such a claim).

GSU would be 2-3 with Furman's schedule. It will just take more games to really know where the teams stand.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 7th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Probably. But its still incorrect to say that, since SDSU has played better teams and lost, that they are a better team.

By that logic, Furman is better than GSU, which is the contention GSU fans have been arguing against (though I personally did not make such a claim).

GSU would be 2-3 with Furman's schedule. It will just take more games to really know where the teams stand.

I didn't say that GSU was better than Furman because they have a better record. You have to look at scores, marigins of victory, and strength of schedule. All things considered, I think SDSU is better than Hofstra and it's definitly a stretch to say that HU is "much, much better" than SDSU.

OL FU
October 8th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Ah the fun of trying to decide who is best using schedules that are not comparable. I don't know if Hofstra is better than SDSU, or vice versa. All I know is Furman has not looked good. Outside of the fun of trying to do the above it isn't worth too much argument.

but wins count, that is why I agree with the first posters assessment ( for the most part),I wouldn't say that GSU and the Citadel are interchangeable but I would say Elon and GSU are interchangeable for 4th and 5th, that battle will be decided this weekend and of course the entire ranking could change very quickly.

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Those are comparisons you just can't make. Saying one team from one conference who plays no one the other team does is better is ridiculous.

What you can say is GSU and Furman both beat Coastal. GSU ran all over them and gave up all kinds of points. Furman didn't score as much but stifled their offense. What does that say? nothing right now.

Also note that GSU got SDSU at home while Furman had to go on the road to NY to play Hofstra.

asu70
October 8th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Even with turnovers and playing half the game without AE, we still had a chance to win with our last offensive drive. I like our chances against WC if we get healthy no matter where we play. If we play in Boone, I like our chances almost 100%.

Laserlips
October 8th, 2007, 08:45 AM
FWIW:

I'm a big GSU "Homer", but I don't see how anyone could rank us in the top three of the SOCON.

Our Eagles are in a year of transition, we have more injuries for this point in the season than I can ever remember in past years, and it seems our defense runs the gamut from great to mediocre from one play to the next.

This isn't even a "rebuilding" season for GSU .. Coach Hatcher has (smartly I think) seen the available talent, and is making the most of that talent. Players recruited under three different Head Coaches for three different offensive schemes mean we have talented players, but not a team recruited for one type program.

IMO our Eagles have bought into Coach Hatcher and his staff and are giving him everything they have.. I am proud of each of them, and I think our kids have the "capability" to stay on the field with any team in the SOCON.. We might not beat them all, but I assure you no team is well advised to take our beaten up GSU Eagles of 2007 lightly.

Truth is, we should have beaten Chatt, but by the same logic we had no business beating SDSU.... Turnovers made the difference in both of those contests.

I'll tell you, just from watching the game those SDSU guys were pretty darn good, and pretty darn BIG, and well conditioned.. I think all of that heat and humidity most of us thought would slow down the Jacks did more to OUR guys than those of SDSU.. I don't understand that, as our guys practice under those conditions all the time...xconfusedx

Anyway, our Eagles aren't the pick of the litter in the SOCON, but I think our Coaches are making the best of the talent available, and as long as Jayson is taking the snaps we always have the chance to stay in a ball game with pretty much anybody.. I wish our rb's weren't all hurt, but injuries are a part of the game, and probably every team has the same problem to some degree.

This GSU fan's considers our GSU Eagle season is already a success.
We've won more games now that last year under the mis-guidance of the BVGOOBER, so any more wins are just bonus's..

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

P.S. How about Jessie Hartley's last second field goal to beat SDSU? Um.. That's different.xthumbsupx

appstate38
October 8th, 2007, 10:06 AM
If you use the same etiquette that applies to regular polls, then I think that this is right. But if you want to take into account injuries....with Armanti Edwards, ASU may be better than Wofford. UTC may be better than Furman with Miller. As for GSU and El Cid, who knows, we'll settle it in Statesboro on October 20th for GSU's homecoming game.

That will be good trick considering you guys will be at the Rock on Oct. 20
I want to know how you will pull that one ofxoopsx

Appdad
October 8th, 2007, 10:08 AM
That will be good trick considering you guys will be at the Rock on Oct. 20
I want to know how you will pull that one ofxoopsx

Big screen TV?

OL FU
October 8th, 2007, 10:28 AM
FWIW:

I'm a big GSU "Homer", but I don't see how anyone could rank us in the top three of the SOCON.

Our Eagles are in a year of transition, we have more injuries for this point in the season than I can ever remember in past years, and it seems our defense runs the gamut from great to mediocre from one play to the next.

This isn't even a "rebuilding" season for GSU .. Coach Hatcher has (smartly I think) seen the available talent, and is making the most of that talent. Players recruited under three different Head Coaches for three different offensive schemes mean we have talented players, but not a team recruited for one type program.

IMO our Eagles have bought into Coach Hatcher and his staff and are giving him everything they have.. I am proud of each of them, and I think our kids have the "capability" to stay on the field with any team in the SOCON.. We might not beat them all, but I assure you no team is well advised to take our beaten up GSU Eagles of 2007 lightly.

Truth is, we should have beaten Chatt, but by the same logic we had no business beating SDSU.... Turnovers made the difference in both of those contests.

I'll tell you, just from watching the game those SDSU guys were pretty darn good, and pretty darn BIG, and well conditioned.. I think all of that heat and humidity most of us thought would slow down the Jacks did more to OUR guys than those of SDSU.. I don't understand that, as our guys practice under those conditions all the time...xconfusedx

Anyway, our Eagles aren't the pick of the litter in the SOCON, but I think our Coaches are making the best of the talent available, and as long as Jayson is taking the snaps we always have the chance to stay in a ball game with pretty much anybody.. I wish our rb's weren't all hurt, but injuries are a part of the game, and probably every team has the same problem to some degree.

This GSU fan's considers our GSU Eagle season is already a success.
We've won more games now that last year under the mis-guidance of the BVGOOBER, so any more wins are just bonus's..

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

P.S. How about Jessie Hartley's last second field goal to beat SDSU? Um.. That's different.xthumbsupx

Of all your wins so far, the SDSU win has impressed me the most. I think they are a very good team. I am very interested in this weekends gamexnodx Should tell us a lot about both teams

asu70
October 8th, 2007, 10:34 AM

4. Elon
5. Furman
6. Chattanooga
7. Western Carolina

1. WC
2. App
3. Elon and Citadel
5. GSU
6. FU
7. Chattanooga
8. WCU

walliver
October 8th, 2007, 04:20 PM
1) App State - probably the best team in the conference - but not unbeatable
2) Wofford - hopefully we can beat ASU again (A win at the pebble is not unheard of). Most likely conference champion.

(gap here)

3) Citadel - No big win yet (Webber, Chas South, and UTC don't count)
4) Elon - No big win yet (coming close to USF and ASU doesn't count).

(gap here)

5) Georgia Southern - SDSC is a good win, but team still seems erratic. (could be in top three by the end of the year)
6) Furman - Losing to good teams doesn't prove much. Beating CCU ain't much this year.

(gap here)

7) UTC - some things remain the same
8) Western Carolina - I've seen posts that they are now the team to beat;) , but I'll reserve judgement on that.

(gap here)

2008) Samford.