PDA

View Full Version : Gentlemen, and Ladies, Wofford College is for real

citdog
October 6th, 2007, 04:25 PM
never expected what happened today. Wofford and Mike Ayers deserve all the credit. If there are 8 teams better than the Terriers in the FCS I am a Yankee.

Mr. C
October 6th, 2007, 04:31 PM
never expected what happened today. Wofford and Mike Ayers deserve all the credit. If there are 8 teams better than the Terriers in the FCS I am a Yankee.

You Yankee.
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

And people thought I was crazy for voting them No. 1.

ASUG8
October 6th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Welcome to our world. I don't know how you stop them, and I agree that they are a much better team than their ranking would indicate. I had some hopes that the Citadel or GSU might get a win, but with the defensive meltdown that GSU had today I don't think they stand a chance (no offense, GSU fans).

Black and Gold Express
October 6th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Next time you should save yourself the pain and just believe the rest of us when we tell you that your team is in for a long day. xsmiley_wix

citdog
October 6th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Next time you should save yourself the pain and just believe the rest of us when we tell you that your team is in for a long day. xsmiley_wix

whatever dude. We had our chances to win the game today, just wasn't our day. OUR SEASON IS NOT OVER. THE 'DOGS ARE STILL THRUSTING!

Eyes of Old Main
October 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks for all the kind words, but while Wofford's win today was very big for us, I don't want to take anything away from The Citadel. Their defense played great most of the day and their offense refused to quit, even when the outcome was assured.

Make no mistake, the Bulldogs are a very good football team and will push everyone they play the rest of the way. I would not be at all surprised if they made the playoffs.

And citdog, I know you aren't a yankee, but I'm not sure we are the #1 team in the FCS. Either way, we've done well so far this season.

Oh, and here's that shovel, my friend...

Zoo
October 6th, 2007, 06:35 PM

I too agree with you, Wofford proved today against the Bulldogs that they are the real deal.

drpnut
October 6th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Hey folks,

The last three weeks most of the major I-aa writers have picked against Wofford. Do you think that they now see that we are the real deal?

Speaking of the top 5 teams... How can Wofford not be in the top 5, even if one of the teams above us doesn't lose? Montana barely survived today against 3-2 East. Wash. James Madison barely survived Northeastern, Mass, and UNI were idle, so does Wofford still get the cold shoulder?

What should be convincing is not just the fact that we have won the last three games but we absolutely crushed Appy, Furman and El Cid. Three weeks in a row. Will another I-AA team have that kind of resume? I don't think so.

Speaking of Conference race... the CAA is now really shaken up. I say the best they do is get 3 teams in.

Peace

JmuSkinsfan
October 6th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Hey folks,

The last three weeks most of the major I-aa writers have picked against Wofford. Do you think that they now see that we are the real deal?

Speaking of the top 5 teams... How can Wofford not be in the top 5, even if one of the teams above us doesn't lose? Montana barely survived today against 3-2 East. Wash. James Madison barely survived Northeastern, Mass, and UNI were idle, so does Wofford still get the cold shoulder?

What should be convincing is not just the fact that we have won the last three games but we absolutely crushed Appy, Furman and El Cid. Three weeks in a row. Will another I-AA team have that kind of resume? I don't think so.

Speaking of Conference race... the CAA is now really shaken up. I say the best they do is get 3 teams in.

Peace

It really depends on how things finish out...but you could still see 4+ teams with at least the record of 8-3....they will beat up one each other, which I think a lot of people expected because the conference is turning out to be more than just the "big 6."

And JMU is ranked #9....if I'm not mistaken, Wofford was #8. JMU playing poorly (a win is a win is a win, especially on the road in the CAA) should not cause Wofford to move ahead of us, because we are behind them in the first place anyway

ASU88
October 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Wofford has definately earned mucho respect. They would have to slip up to lose a game, now. Could happen, but I'm not betting on it.

They should have a high ranking and a nice seed in the playoffs.

Darn ankle-biters have started biting HARD!!

Baldy
October 6th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Gotta give it up to citdog....Master of the Obvious. xcoffeex

Baldy
October 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Welcome to our world. I don't know how you stop them, and I agree that they are a much better team than their ranking would indicate. I had some hopes that the Citadel or GSU might get a win, but with the defensive meltdown that GSU had today I don't think they stand a chance (no offense, GSU fans).
Probably (hopefully) more of a result of being up 24 points and the defense letting up after the half. More teams seem to roll over after being down by 3+ TD's...there was no quit in those boys.

AppStateSVX
October 6th, 2007, 07:33 PM

umm.......Wofford did not "absolutely crush" Appalachian State. Wofford beat us, yes, but the game was literally down to Apps last possession, had Trey Elder been able to convert the 4th and 2, ASU could have won that game. Not to even mention if a certain #14 had been playing......
enjoy the wins, but don't get so damn cocky, you are good, but very beatable

james_lawfirm
October 6th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Hey folks,

Peace

For the record, I voted Wofford #1 in my AGS poll after its ASU win. However, I disagree that Wofford "absolutely crushed" ASU. App had a chance to win with a few minutes left. A boneheaded call on 4th down (screen pass) cost App its chance to win. But, Wofford is the real deal. I don't know if anyone in the SoCon will beat them. I was hoping it was going to be The Citadel. Alas.

dungeonjoe
October 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM

Thanks citdog. Just got back from the game a little while ago. When finished, Johnson-Half Complete Stadium;) will be the finest in FCS. Add the great hospitality, and there you have a great football atmosphere.

As far as taking the T-Dogs seriously, I kinda hope Mr. C and Chucky continue to pick our opponents; it has made for good locker room postings for the terriers.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 6th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Yes, this is an impressive win, I don't care what anyone says. The Citadel has already proved that they are a good team and they play tough at home as any Socon fan will tell you.

Good day for the Socon. Wofford showcases their power, UTC doesn't get blown out by Arkansas (34-15 final score), Furman ends their choking streak and improves the Socon's record versus the Big South on the year to 5-0, App. State gets another blowout (what is it with ASU scoring most of their points in one quarter?), and GSU takes down a strong Great West team that is 1-4 because they are glutton's for punishment with their schedule.

asu70
October 6th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Hey folks,

Peace

WC has a very good team but absolutely crushed App... what game were you watching on sept. 22?

drpnut
October 6th, 2007, 09:22 PM
To my Appy friends (my wife is an App graduate so I do pull for you guys except one week-end a year.)

I'll rephrase it. We destroyed Furman, dominated the Citadel and dominated you guys. I don't see how you can say otherwise. From the opening kick-off we had your number, rolled up 400 yards of offense on the team that beat Michigan. Sure our defense gave up a lot of yards. But to Wofford folks, beating Appy by 11 is considered a pretty good whipping, especially since it doesn't happen often.

Changing the subject a bit... How many teams from the SoCon get in this year? I feel that App. and Wofford are locks... who else?

And to the CAA folks.. I think this year the Committee will be hard pressed to let in an 8-3 team that has three defeats in Conference play. So if the CAA can produce 4 teams that are at least 8-3 with only two conference defeats, maybe 4 get in, but no other way. The rest of the nation is shaping up pretty nicely.

I think if Furman can finish 7-4 with only 2 SoCon losses, they would be more attractive than an 8-3,3 conference loss CAA team like NH, or Richmond. And you mmust understand, I despise Furman.

Looks like the jury is still out on the Big Sky "Griz machine."

And Youngstown ST. has to regroup now.

Just thoughts.

Holla back at your boy.

Peace

thirdgendin
October 6th, 2007, 09:24 PM
To my Appy friends (my wife is an App graduate so I do pull for you guys except one week-end a year.)

I'll rephrase it. We destroyed Furman, dominated the Citadel and dominated you guys. I don't see how you can say otherwise. From the opening kick-off we had your number, rolled up 400 yards of offense on the team that beat Michigan. Sure our defense gave up a lot of yards. But to Wofford folks, beating Appy by 11 is considered a pretty good whipping, especially since it doesn't happen often.

Changing the subject a bit... How many teams from the SoCon get in this year? I feel that App. and Wofford are locks... who else?

And to the CAA folks.. I think this year the Committee will be hard pressed to let in an 8-3 team that has three defeats in Conference play. So if the CAA can produce 4 teams that are at least 8-3 with only two conference defeats, maybe 4 get in, but no other way. The rest of the nation is shaping up pretty nicely.

I think if Furman can finish 7-4 with only 2 SoCon losses, they would be more attractive than an 8-3,3 conference loss CAA team like NH, or Richmond. And you mmust understand, I despise Furman.

Just thoughts.

Holla back at your boy.

Peace

No way. Assuming that fourth loss is to ASU, we would have ZERO quality wins and four losses. I wouldn't put us in the field if that's the case.

drpnut
October 6th, 2007, 09:30 PM
By the way, to my Furman buddies...

I don't despise you as a school, etc. I despise the fact that you have always had our number and we are still playing catch up for past years.

Holla back.

PEace

drpnut
October 6th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Hey thirdgendin,

I would consider wins against Citadel and Ga. South quality wins.

And I still believe a 2 loss season in the SoCon is better than a 3 loss season in the CAA-this year. Those guys are really smacking each other around.

Holla back

Peace

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 6th, 2007, 09:33 PM

Just thoughts.

Holla back at your boy.

Peace

I was hoping that we could get four in this year but with Wofford beating The Citadel that does not look likely. The Socon just has too many FBS games this year (NINE in all). And I think GSU has a better chance of getting in at this point than Furman does. We just need to win 4 of the next 6. I think the very best we can do now is three teams (two AL bids).

drpnut
October 6th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Hey FCS_ pwns_ FBS

Who do you think has the better shot you guys or the Citadel?

Holla back

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 6th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Hey FCS_ pwns_ FBS

Who do you think has the better shot you guys or the Citadel?

Holla back

About the same. Obviously whoever wins between the two has the better chance.

JmuSkinsfan
October 6th, 2007, 10:07 PM
An 8-3 CAA team would make it hands down over a 7-4 team regardless of conference affiliation. The committee will see that the CAA went 19-2 vs. out of conference teams. The SoCon will be lucky to send 3...but I can't see more than Wofford and App. State..

CAA will send at least 3...and probably 4. UMass, Delaware, JMU, Hofstra / UNH

drpnut
October 6th, 2007, 10:16 PM
JmuSkinsfan,

This is why I love I-aa ball, so many scenarios and opinions.

You seem to have missed what I said about 8-3 CAA teams. I believe you will get 3 teams in if all are 8-3. But if the fourth team is 8-3 with 3 conference losses I don't see it happening again this year like last.

Right now the only two from the CAA I feel good about are you all and UMAss. Hofstra struggled against Stony Brook, and UNH will lose one more and again, I can't see them slipping in this year with 3 losses.

And what happens if Towson runs the table or if Richmond rebounds?

By the way... my final 4-- App., Wofford, JMU, UNI

Holla back

Eyes of Old Main
October 6th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Not sure I'd say Wofford "crushed" App, drpnut. We crushed Furman and beat The Citadel after a convincing 2nd half, but "beat" is as far as I'll go with the Mountaineers. Remember, aside from the late TD when Wofford was running out the clock, we are talking about a 4 point game where they had the ball last. No crushing in that scenario at all.

Anyway, I'll say AT THIS POINT it appears that Wofford and Appalachian will make the field assuming nothing crazy happens. Then I'd say one of either Georgia Southern or The Citadel will get in assuming no more losses except to Wofford or Appalachian. Furman has a very outside shot, but would need a signature win over Appalachian and no more losses which is a longshot. Hopefully, no one fades down the stretch and the SoCon can send 3 schools. But, as has been often said, there is A BUNCH of football left to be played so anything could happen.

drpnut
October 6th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Eyes of old Main,

The score doesn't tell it all. From where I sit we still put a butt whipping on App. We ran better schemes, had them on their heels the whole game.

We took Furman to the wood shed, and I stand by my language of "crushing the Citadel." They had the best defense in the league, holding oponents to 90 yards rushing and we rammed down their throat for over three hundred. About 60 yards of their qb's yardage cam after the game was well in hand and we were playing the deep zone. And they were averaging 45 pts. a game ant their O scored zero on us. To me it adds up to a crushing.

If you like to use other descriptives that is fine. That is why this chat stuff is so fun.

The bottom line-- we are the real deal. Period.

Holla back.

JmuSkinsfan
October 6th, 2007, 11:36 PM
JmuSkinsfan,

This is why I love I-aa ball, so many scenarios and opinions.

You seem to have missed what I said about 8-3 CAA teams. I believe you will get 3 teams in if all are 8-3. But if the fourth team is 8-3 with 3 conference losses I don't see it happening again this year like last.

Right now the only two from the CAA I feel good about are you all and UMAss. Hofstra struggled against Stony Brook, and UNH will lose one more and again, I can't see them slipping in this year with 3 losses.

And what happens if Towson runs the table or if Richmond rebounds?

By the way... my final 4-- App., Wofford, JMU, UNI

Holla back

I like that final four very much...and it would make for a crazy championship game regardless of who makes it...

I did miss the part about the multiple 8-3 teams. So I apologize for misunderstaning you on that aspect. The great thing about FCS though is that, regardless, by the end of the year everything will work out. That's why I love the playoffs!

I thought I had a good grasp on the CAA before this weekend, but now I am thoroughly confused. The parity is definitely there. UMass is definitely the best team in the conference, with JMU a close 2nd. I do like Hofstra and Delaware, but again....it will play itself out and is extremely hard to predict this early.

GreatAppSt
October 7th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Hey folks,

but we absolutely crushed Appy

Uh Huhxrolleyesx

CID1990
October 7th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Not sure I'd say Wofford "crushed" App, drpnut. We crushed Furman and beat The Citadel after a convincing 2nd half, but "beat" is as far as I'll go with the Mountaineers. Remember, aside from the late TD when Wofford was running out the clock, we are talking about a 4 point game where they had the ball last. No crushing in that scenario at all.

Anyway, I'll say AT THIS POINT it appears that Wofford and Appalachian will make the field assuming nothing crazy happens. Then I'd say one of either Georgia Southern or The Citadel will get in assuming no more losses except to Wofford or Appalachian. Furman has a very outside shot, but would need a signature win over Appalachian and no more losses which is a longshot. Hopefully, no one fades down the stretch and the SoCon can send 3 schools. But, as has been often said, there is A BUNCH of football left to be played so anything could happen.

I don't know about the three-team prediction. The only way The Citadel will get into the playoffs is to win out, and that means beating ASU and GSU. Possible, but if we beat GSU and lose to ASU, there is no way (given the lack of respect we have typically gotten from polls, etc.) that we will get in.

All that being said, Wofford's defense was the key to yesterday's game. They are deep beyond belief, and they kept our offense off the field. By the 3rd quarter, it was obvious that our defense was spent. I predicted a defensive battle, but one thing I didn't predict was that our offense would be of absolutely no assistance to our defense.

Another big thing about Wofford is that their QBs are pretty much interchangeable. Widmeyer came in in the second half and ran that damn option over and over and over again and our guys were just wheezing.

Unlike some other folks, I'll be pulling for WoCo from here on out, since I would rather The Citadel get in the playoffs based on our own play, and not based on a team that beat us losing later down the road. If The Citadel gets in, it will be because we earned it, and not because a better team gave us a gift by losing.

A great win by Wofford. Now let's beat Furple!!

ChickenMan
October 7th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Peace

With that kind of convoluted logic.. I think you must despise the CAA a lot more... :p

OL FU
October 7th, 2007, 08:25 AM
With that kind of convoluted logic.. I think you must despise the CAA a lot more... :p

Yes we have to be 8-3 especially after last years playoff performancexnodx

AZGrizFan
October 7th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I am a Yankee.

xeyebrowx xeekx

OL FU
October 7th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by citdog

I am a Yankee.

xeyebrowx xeekx

I think that may be worse than being a scalawagxlolx

Eyes of Old Main
October 7th, 2007, 10:41 AM
I think that may be worse than being a scalawagxlolx

If he's a yankee now, he'll end up back down south soon enough. I guess that'd make him a carpetbagger.

citdog
November 24th, 2007, 04:14 PM
remember this thread?

Eyes of Old Main
November 24th, 2007, 04:16 PM
remember this thread?

Yes we do!!!

And thanks to you, citdog for remembering it...

james_lawfirm
November 24th, 2007, 04:17 PM
remember this thread?

Yep.

xbowx xbowx xbowx

Way to go, Terriers!!!

DuckDuckGriz
No one ever doubted Wofford was for real. Little dogs, big bite!

citdog
well, i do my bestxsmiley_wix