PDA

View Full Version : Delaware @ New Hampshire Game Thread

UNH_BLUE
October 6th, 2007, 11:27 AM
It's another hot day in Durham. Let's hope UNH is hotter than the weather.

No score. 1st quarter.

Games on CN8

Go...gate
October 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM
This sounds like it will be a fine game. xthumbsupx

UNH_BLUE
October 6th, 2007, 11:40 AM
UNH is getting zero pressure on the QB. Delaware is marching.

TigerFan17
October 6th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Game not on CN8 here...mid-atlantic.

We have North America DanceSport instead...xlolx

UNH_BLUE
October 6th, 2007, 11:44 AM
UNH holds 'em to a FG.

Del 3
UNH 0

UNH_BLUE
October 6th, 2007, 11:51 AM
UNH has a good drive going. Inside the 20.

UNH_BLUE
October 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Great 10 yard scramble by Santos!!!

Touchdown New Hampshire!!

UNH 7

Del 3

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM
TD Santos. First points vs Delaware in the 2nd Qtr this season

UNH_BLUE
October 6th, 2007, 11:59 AM
UNH forces Del to punt

UNH_BLUE
October 6th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Santos hurt his right shoulder at the end of a big run.

Uh oh.

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Santos shaken up favoring right shoulder after big run Toman in at QB

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 12:05 PM
sicko catch at the 2

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 12:06 PM
TD UNH

UNH_BLUE
October 6th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Santos to the locker room. About five minutes left in 1st half

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 12:12 PM
another defensive stop for the cats

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 12:12 PM
fsake punt nothing. UNH Ball

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 12:13 PM
TD UNH

UNHWildCats
toman to levan to boyle 45 yards.

TheTribeHasSpoken
Is Santos okay?

Score?

UNHWildCats
21-3

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 12:14 PM
shoulder he wasnt getting meduical attention on thye ideline but UNH_blue says he went to the locker room, its near the end of the half. Wait and see i guess

TigerFan17
October 6th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Seems that "high-talented" UD defense isn't to highly talented.

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 12:16 PM
ya and the pathetic UNH D aint so pathetic :p

jennifer03878
October 6th, 2007, 12:16 PM
hey all..

Wow... what a fake out by the Cats.. 21-3

Hope Santos is going to be OK.. He is definately someone they can't be without for any length of time, though this trickery is some fun to watch :D

UNH_BLUE
October 6th, 2007, 12:17 PM
It looked like Santos couldn't even lift his right arm. I'd be very surprised if Santos returns in the 2nd half.

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 12:20 PM
UNH stops them on 4th and 1

Will
October 6th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Toman can really play. He was a highly touted QB recruit for UNH and will be the starter the next few years.

UNH_BLUE
October 6th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Off-topic but how about that monster walk-off by Manny yesterday?

He freakin' crushed it.

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 12:28 PM
21-3 half

89Hen
October 6th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Game not on CN8 here...mid-atlantic.

We have North America DanceSport instead...xlolx
xconfusedx xsmhx WTF? It says UD at UNH on the channel. xmadx

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 12:48 PM
why does UNH have live stats on the site if they dont use it.,..its annoying.

jennifer03878
October 6th, 2007, 12:49 PM
good seeing Santos back on the field... let's see how he does with some warm up tosses

Col Hogan
October 6th, 2007, 12:52 PM
xconfusedx xsmhx WTF? It says UD at UNH on the channel. xmadx

Same here...but it definately is a dance contest...xbawlingx

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 12:53 PM
here guys Video link

http://channelsurfing.net/watch-cn8.html

Nebuta
October 6th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Omar scores. Looks like UD might give Omar some more then 4 carries this half.

UNH_BLUE
October 6th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Wow!! R.J. is super fast!!!

89Hen
October 6th, 2007, 01:05 PM
here guys Video link
Thanks T, I do have it, but am still pissed I can't watch it on the TV.

UNH_BLUE
October 6th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Sweeeeeeeeet!

delaware fumble. new hampshire ball

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 01:10 PM
TD UNH

UNH_BLUE
October 6th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Toman is the Showman!!

89Hen
October 6th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Receiver looked out of bounds on the small screen. xeyebrowx

Will
October 6th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Toman is a big talent. He actually has better speed than Santos.

Will
October 6th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Receiver looked out of bounds on the small screen. xeyebrowx

He caught the ball inbounds and the ball broke the plain immediately after.

89Hen
October 6th, 2007, 01:16 PM
He caught the ball inbounds and the ball broke the plain immediately after.
Looked like his foot was on the line... but I only am on the internet screen. :(

89Hen
October 6th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Toman is a big talent. He actually has better speed than Santos.
Would only be fitting if he ends up being good since the Hens knocked out Granieri and gave Santos his shot four years ago. :p

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 01:24 PM
TD UNH

Will
TD UNH!

Sick scramble to escape the pass rush and 30+ yard touchdown pass to Levan!

UNH_BLUE
Ricky who????:D

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 01:25 PM
35-10 1:10 remaining 3rd

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I think we officially dont need to worry about QB when Santos graduates :p

Will
October 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM
That play was just as sweet as anything I've seen Santos do.

UNH_BLUE
October 6th, 2007, 01:31 PM
I think we officially dont need to worry about QB when Santos graduates :p

That's a great feeling to have.

Toman the Showman!!

Remember, I coined it first. xrulesx

Nebuta
October 6th, 2007, 01:36 PM
UNH Back up QBs own UD. Lol.

Kinda like the year Santos came in the game.

Will
October 6th, 2007, 01:37 PM
TD Pass to the UD tight end

35-17 UNH with 12:50 to play

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 01:40 PM
does santos have a nickname?

TigerFan17
October 6th, 2007, 01:45 PM
does santos have a nickname?

Ricky "Which one is David Ball" Santos?

;)

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 01:55 PM
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6407/santostomanyt7.gif

Will
October 6th, 2007, 01:58 PM
TD Omar Cuff

35-24 UNH with 3:40 left in the game

Nebuta
October 6th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Big Stop for UD defense.

89Hen
October 6th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Too little too late. :(

89Hen
October 6th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Too little too late. :(

Maybe not?! xeyebrowx

Nebuta
October 6th, 2007, 02:11 PM
UNH D is getting picked apart.
TD Omar 3 TD. 21st for the season

89Hen
October 6th, 2007, 02:12 PM
35-30 1:33 to go, onside kick coming.

89Hen
October 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
WTF? Worst attempt at an onside kick I've ever seen. xsmhx

Congrats UNH. Still alive! xbowx

Will
October 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Final score 35-30

UNH played too conservative, too early in the 4th quarter but were just able to hang on. Great game from Toman.

Nebuta
October 6th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Good game.
Great victory for UNH when they needed it the most.
Had to have this win for a chance in the playoffs.
UNH's quarterback for the furture looks great.
Nice opening up the play book, offense executed well.

Nice try Delaware. Good effort. The offense came out flat but turned it around in the end. Defense needs to contain better.
Omar fumble didnt help the come back cause.
A little too late but 20 unanswer points to end the game.

Jaxhen
October 6th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Congrats UNH. Looks like you've got another great QB for the future.

WrenFGun
October 6th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Welp, here's hoping Santos will be okay. He looked pretty good on the sideline in the second half, but they went with Toman. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the go next week against Iona. The future remains bright with Toman next season and beyond. With that said, Santos is surely still the man here.

Also noteworthy, Kackert really looked good in limited action. The defense looked much improved, until the dropoff in the fourth. I'm excited for that.

It was a win we absolutely had to have, and for the most part, aside from the last 12 minutes, UNH just dominated. They only have two road games left this season, though sadly, it's Hofstra and UMass. Need to take 1 of those 2, and take care of business at home, to have a shot at the playoffs. What a start though.

Way to go! Kudos to the classy UD fans on this board.

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM
ya these delaware boys here are pretty nice... now only if they had a couple hot asians -_-

Old Cat Fan
October 6th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Just got back from the game perfect weather, great game kept telling my wife that the Hens were not going to give up and would make a game out of it. Santos did seem like he was moving his arm around at the beginning of the second half. He should be alright. Hats off to the Delaware fans for a nice turnout. I had one of them asking me where I got my Dunkins coffee that I had brought in with me, he was having caffene withdrawerals and could'nt believe there was no coffee for sale at the stadium. Good to see David Ball on the sidelines supporting his old teamates. All in all a big win for UNH and great game time for Toman. I will however say that they did play way to conservative in the 4th, that 4th and 1 with everyone on the line and telling the defense that the QB was getting the handoff was just a bad call in my opinion. Little dissapointed for the turnout on the cats side, with tickets $17 apiece for general admission might be creeping up a bit to keep people home :(

Old Cage
October 6th, 2007, 03:53 PM
With UMass not getting the chance this year to take down Delaware and James Madison, I was hoping that they would go 0-fer-2 in New England today.

I'll take this one. Thank you.

mcveyrl
October 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Just got home and watched this one on the DVR and WOW, what a performance by UNH and their backup QB, who, as near as I can figure was their 3rd QB at the start of the year (I'm assuming he was behind the QB that got kicked off the team).

I was also fairly impressed with the UNH D (the fourth quarter it looked like they were going into deep zone coverage so I'm not really counting that against them).

Delaware's defense was, obvioiusly, not very impressive but they weren't exactly facing a low-key, ball control offense. I was also impressed with Flacco, although not surprise since I saw him last year in Harrisonburg. He was very efficient and didn't make many mistakes.

I'm interested to know if Delaware fans wish Keeler would've given Cuff some more touches early on. I was surprised we didn't see him that much. Has that been the MO all year or was it a surprise to you all as well?

RadMann
October 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Congrats to UNH! UNH always has had a class team and fans ever since UD started playing them when we joined the Yankee Conference back in the day.....

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Just got home and watched this one on the DVR and WOW, what a performance by UNH and their backup QB, who, as near as I can figure was their 3rd QB at the start of the year (I'm assuming he was behind the QB that got kicked off the team).

I was also fairly impressed with the UNH D (the fourth quarter it looked like they were going into deep zone coverage so I'm not really counting that against them).

Delaware's defense was, obvioiusly, not very impressive but they weren't exactly facing a low-key, ball control offense. I was also impressed with Flacco, although not surprise since I saw him last year in Harrisonburg. He was very efficient and didn't make many mistakes.

I'm interested to know if Delaware fans wish Keeler would've given Cuff some more touches early on. I was surprised we didn't see him that much. Has that been the MO all year or was it a surprise to you all as well?
I dont know what the plan was but the first depth chart I saw was before the announcement that Hendricks was charged with murder but after the school knew about it and Toman was #2

Sam Adams
October 6th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Congrats to UNH on a nice win. Way to Represent the CAA North !!

aust42
October 6th, 2007, 05:57 PM
UNH played a great game. Kudo's to their redshirt freshman QB for an incredible game. UD made too many mistakes today. Penalties, aggressive play calling and a key turnover, but that's football. But we showed a lot of character scoring 20 points in the 4th quarter to come down to an on-side kick and make a game of it.

Go Hens!!

HensRock
October 6th, 2007, 06:33 PM
UNH had their backs to the wall with 2 conference losses coming in today. They came to play and UD did not. I think our soft schedule may have left out team a bit overconfigdent coming in. My VCR did not record the game and I was out all day xmadx xmadx xmadx .
Good win by UNH.
Hopefully this is a wake-up call for the Hens.

Henny
October 6th, 2007, 06:50 PM
HR I was going to watch it on demand with comcast, since I was at my son's game most of the first half but the way UD lost, I think I want to keep my dinner down. Lineman jumping, Omar fumbling, Flacco overthrowing receivers multiple times, not wrapping up on the freshman QB, letting receivers get behind the DB's.........The Hens didnt come to play, but UNH is a top quality team and the best coached team in the CAA.

Zoo
October 6th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Good job on the win UNH!

R.A.
October 6th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Nice try by Delaware.

Hampton found out last season how hard it is to take down Santos and the New Hampshire ball club with their 41-38 playoff loss.

Take it out on your next opponent Hens.

RadMann
October 6th, 2007, 07:52 PM
UD is pretty much familiar with Santos, as he launched his career against UD. Today, their backup did the job much of the way as Santos was injured....

SunCoastBlueHen
October 6th, 2007, 09:10 PM
UNH is the better team. xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

JmuSkinsfan
October 6th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Nice try by Delaware.

Hampton found out last season how hard it is to take down Santos and the New Hampshire ball club with their 41-38 playoff loss.

Take it out on your next opponent Hens.

Well I'm glad UD fell, and UNH won...this certainly helps up JMU's status this season, as their 41-24 win in the home-opener over UNH is looking almost as good now as it did when it happened and UNH were ranked #5..

R.A.
October 6th, 2007, 10:55 PM
UD is pretty much familiar with Santos, as he launched his career against UD. Today, their backup did the job much of the way as Santos was injured....

Those backup QBs can be tricky... I saw Varsity Blues.xlolx

Peems
October 6th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Wow, I thought UNH had little to no chance after reading all the other threads that the UD fans had posted in. Great win!

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Wow, I thought UNH had little to no chance after reading all the other threads that the UD fans had posted in. Great win!

Ya cause fans are never homers when it comes to picking who will win..... Why would you assume a team would win based on what the opponents fans thought. xeyebrowx

Peems
October 6th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Oh, I thought UNH had a good chance, but the way the UD people were talking you would have thought it would take a miracle for UNH to win.

UNHWildCats
October 6th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Oh, I thought UNH had a good chance, but the way the UD people were talking you would have thought it would take a miracle for UNH to win.

ya im still puzzed how the AP can call it an upset.... really either way the game went I dont think it would have been an upset. But yea cause UNH played a tougher early schedule and were only 2-2 and Delaware had a weaker schedule everyone thought Delaware was better.

R.A.
October 7th, 2007, 12:59 AM
History was against Delaware.

Sam Adams
October 7th, 2007, 06:42 AM
UD isn't as good as UNH, that was against UD too.

ChickenMan
October 7th, 2007, 07:27 AM

UD wasn't as good yesterday.. just as Richmond apparently wasn't as good as Towson.. but one game doesn't determine the outcome of an entire season.. l'll reserve judgement as to just how good UD and the rest of the CAA really are until mid November.

WrenFGun
October 7th, 2007, 08:50 AM
As a UD fan, I feel like you have to be a bit concerned. Aside from W&M, you've lost to the only real team you've played this season. I'm just happy UNH was able to back up the faith I put in them, but I don't believe it was an upset. A 2-2 team that has played 3 games on the road, two against top 25 FCS opponents and the other against an FBS opponent is certainly a battle-tested, talented team, and they proved that yesterday.

Go Cats.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 7th, 2007, 11:32 AM
UD wasn't as good yesterday.. just as Richmond apparently wasn't as good as Towson.. but one game doesn't determine the outcome of an entire season.. l'll reserve judgement as to just how good UD and the rest of the CAA really are until mid November.

I'm sure UD fans feel that if this game was at UD or things had gone just a little differently the outcome would or could have been different. I felt the same way leaving Richmond and JMU. Such is life in the CAA. At this point UNH's more difficult schedule had them better prepaired for this game. Come November which ever CAA teams make the playoff will be well prepaired for the next 3 or 4 games.

Spider
October 7th, 2007, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=WrenFGun;680515]As a UD fan, I feel like you have to be a bit concerned. Aside from W&M, you've lost to the only real team you've played this season.]
I think you've hit the 'nail on the head'.......

ChickenMan
October 7th, 2007, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=WrenFGun;680515]As a UD fan, I feel like you have to be a bit concerned. Aside from W&M, you've lost to the only real team you've played this season.]
I think you've hit the 'nail on the head'.......

If I were a 'Spider' fan.. I'd be a lot more concerned with my own team losing to a down and nearly out Towson squad that had been dominated by both UMass and Delaware... xrolleyesx

Nebuta
October 7th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Yeah, 4 carries for Omar in the first half for 35 yards. To be down 21-3 at half. Keeler and the coaching staff can only wonder what would have happen if they got him more involved earlier.

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 7th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Just say that road wins are hard to come by in this league so I was not surprise with the outcome. This was the first real test for the Hens.

UD does have a potent offense and they will make the playoffs. They have UR and JMU at home which is in their favor while UNH has Hofstra and UMASS on the road.

blur2005
October 7th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah, 4 carries for Omar in the first half for 35 yards. To be down 21-3 at half. Keeler and the coaching staff can only wonder what would have happen if they got him more involved earlier.
Why does the Delaware staff do this sometimes, ignoring Cuff? I'd give it to him all the time, every game.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 7th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Why does the Delaware staff do this sometimes, ignoring Cuff? I'd give it to him all the time, every game.

I know this will be difficult for you Dukes fans to fathom because JMU runs the ball so well against UNH, but the UNH defense was actually doing a very good job against the run in the 1st half so UD went to the air, IMHO.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 7th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Just got back from the game perfect weather, great game kept telling my wife that the Hens were not going to give up and would make a game out of it. Santos did seem like he was moving his arm around at the beginning of the second half. He should be alright. Hats off to the Delaware fans for a nice turnout. I had one of them asking me where I got my Dunkins coffee that I had brought in with me, he was having caffene withdrawerals and could'nt believe there was no coffee for sale at the stadium. Good to see David Ball on the sidelines supporting his old teamates. All in all a big win for UNH and great game time for Toman. I will however say that they did play way to conservative in the 4th, that 4th and 1 with everyone on the line and telling the defense that the QB was getting the handoff was just a bad call in my opinion. Little dissapointed for the turnout on the cats side, with tickets $17 apiece for general admission might be creeping up a bit to keep people home :(

Old Cat, are you a transplanted Southerner? It was WAY too HOT for a football game in October yesterday in Durham!! xrotatehx xlolx Did you notice the exodus from the home side once UNH went up 35-10? I saw quite a few nasty sunburns after the game!! Shoot, I skipped my beloved Sam Adams Octoberfest brew before the game for summer brews (Sea Dog Apricot Wheat and Harpoon Raspberry Hefeweizen). xrotatehx xlolx xlolx

The turnout of Delaware fans was the best turnout by a visiting team that I've seen for many years. Really, only a couple of Maine games even compare in numbers, but not when you compare traveling distance. On the home side, it was probably the worst turnout I've seen outside of monsoon games during the past couple of seasons. Students were late arriving and didn't pack their endzone bleachers and there weren't as many SRO folks either. Don't know if the Columbus Day weekend was a factor or if the hot weather just had folks making other plans. It was very puzzling and not anticipated at all.

Speaking of Hen's fans, it was great to talk with many of them out in the tailgate field and especially to visit with Henfan and his family and friends once again. Really enjoyed introducing them to "05", OxSox, YorkCounty and another set of player's parents. Granite, my apologies as I forgot to contact you during the week. That faux pas hit me somewhere along I-495 on Saturday morning. :o :o xmadx

Excellent game and effort by the Wildcats. They really seemed to shore up the kickoff return coverage and the defense played really well until they went into that "prevent" defense after going up 35-10. Can't say enough about the job RJ Toman did in relief of Ricky. Not only to finish off the drive where Ricky got hurt on his run into the red zone, but also to run the entire offense and not allow Delaware to tee off on him. JMHO, but more poised and skilled than the celebrated Santos baptism I witnessed in Newark back in 2004.

Because I happened to be in the West End Zone at the time of the play, I got a fantastic view of what was one of the best individual plays I've seen in the past few years. Toman was about to get absolutely crushed on the blindside when somehow he sensed the pass rusher coming full speed from the left side. He executed an awesome pivot move then just accelerated away from him. The right handed RJ Toman scrambled left toward the sideline then threw a TD pass to Keith LeVan. Maybe being an understudy to Houdini has its benefits!! xnodx xbowx xlolx xlolx

Kackert returning for UNH was huge. There was one 2nd and 10 type play in the 2nd quarter deep in their own territory where Chad swept right end for a first down run. Neither Ward nor Simpson would have had enough speed to make the same play.

I know 35-30 is a high scoring game, but hardly the shootout many anticipated. And I would have bet big bucks that the 1st Quarter score wasn't going to be the actual 0-0 score!!

I think Ricky will be back in action soon, but it is very comforting to know that we have a quality backup QB!!!

SOCAL
October 7th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Old Cat, are you a transplanted Southerner? It was WAY too HOT for a football game in October yesterday in Durham!! xrotatehx xlolx Did you notice the exodus from the home side once UNH went up 35-10? I saw quite a few nasty sunburns after the game!! Shoot, I skipped my beloved Sam Adams Octoberfest brew before the game for summer brews (Sea Dog Apricot Wheat and Harpoon Raspberry Hefeweizen). xrotatehx xlolx xlolx

The turnout of Delaware fans was the best turnout by a visiting team that I've seen for many years. Really, only a couple of Maine games even compare in numbers, but not when you compare traveling distance. On the home side, it was probably the worst turnout I've seen outside of monsoon games during the past couple of seasons. Students were late arriving and didn't pack their endzone bleachers and there weren't as many SRO folks either. Don't know if the Columbus Day weekend was a factor or if the hot weather just had folks making other plans. It was very puzzling and not anticipated at all.

Speaking of Hen's fans, it was great to talk with many of them out in the tailgate field and especially to visit with Henfan and his family and friends once again. Really enjoyed introducing them to "05", OxSox, YorkCounty and another set of player's parents. Granite, my apologies as I forgot to contact you during the week. That faux pas hit me somewhere along I-495 on Saturday morning. :o :o xmadx

Excellent game and effort by the Wildcats. They really seemed to shore up the kickoff return coverage and the defense played really well until they went into that "prevent" defense after going up 35-10. Can't say enough about the job RJ Toman did in relief of Ricky. Not only to finish off the drive where Ricky got hurt on his run into the red zone, but also to run the entire offense and not allow Delaware to tee off on him. JMHO, but more poised and skilled than the celebrated Santos baptism I witnessed in Newark back in 2004.

Because I happened to be in the West End Zone at the time of the play, I got a fantastic view of what was one of the best individual plays I've seen in the past few years. Toman was about to get absolutely crushed on the blindside when somehow he sensed the pass rusher coming full speed from the left side. He executed an awesome pivot move then just accelerated away from him. The right handed RJ Toman scrambled left toward the sideline then threw a TD pass to Keith LeVan. Maybe being an understudy to Houdini has its benefits!! xnodx xbowx xlolx xlolx

Kackert returning for UNH was huge. There was one 2nd and 10 type play in the 2nd quarter deep in their own territory where Chad swept right end for a first down run. Neither Ward nor Simpson would have had enough speed to make the same play.

I know 35-30 is a high scoring game, but hardly the shootout many anticipated. And I would have bet big bucks that the 1st Quarter score wasn't going to be the actual 0-0 score!!

I think Ricky will be back in action soon, but it is very comforting to know that we have a quality backup QB!!!

You guys have to remember that Toman came from a high powered nationally ranked HS program and was well schooled by Bob Johnson who has trained many college and pro players---yes it also helps to be with Santos everyday and learn all of the tricks first hand--all in all a good combination

Old Cat Fan
October 8th, 2007, 12:19 AM
"Old Cat, are you a transplanted Southerner? It was WAY too HOT for a football game in October yesterday in Durham!! Did you notice the exodus from the home side once UNH went up 35-10? I saw quite a few nasty sunburns after the game!! Shoot, I skipped my beloved Sam Adams Octoberfest brew before the game for summer brews (Sea Dog Apricot Wheat and Harpoon Raspberry Hefeweizen). "

Wow far from a transplanted southener , born- raised-work and lived all my middle age life in Somersworth, Dover, Rochester area. :) It was really hot for October, my wife was one of the sun burnt fans, I kept reminding her how we froze our asses off couple years ago during the playoffs, everytime she complained about the heat xnodx xnodx Actually I think the D Ball record run last year really brought some fans out that would have not normally have come, hopefully I'm wrong because if they were not there Sat, I don't see them coming out for Iona, homecoming or not xconfusedx

Nebuta
October 8th, 2007, 01:35 AM
To answer your question what was up with Delaware's game plan? I have no clue, I just watched the game and noticed the same thing you all did.

Looking at the game and the stats, I'd imagine Delaware game plan in the beginning was to have Flacco pass.
As the first drive of the game would indicate 8 pass plays and only 2 run plays. Omar ran 2 yards and then 3 yards. And on the 2nd drive 7 pass plays and 4 run plays for Omar 5, -1, 6 and 4 yards.

Now you could say UNH defense stopped Omar in the 1st half and changed UD's game plan. UNH defense gave up by the 35-10 score. But prior to that, on the first drive of the 2nd half, when the game was still very much undecided, UD went back to Omar as there was only 3 pass plays and 6 runs. (1, 7, 5, 5, 5, and 8 yard TD score) And the next drive UD moved the ball down the field as well only to see Omar fumble.

UNH defense did make a big sack on 4th down stop when they needed it. They mixed up blitz packages very well. UD made it interesting. But the better, more hungry team won.

I am sold on the turn around of UNH defense after one week? No, there are still questions about the defense giving up almost 500 yards of offense, regardless of how soft of coverage one is getting.

mcveyrl
October 8th, 2007, 07:42 AM

I know this will be difficult for you Dukes fans to fathom because JMU runs the ball so well against UNH, but the UNH defense was actually doing a very good job against the run in the 1st half so UD went to the air, IMHO.

Cuff only getting 4 carries in the first half is not indicative of UNH's defense (although it was good Saturday!). He, IMO, should've had 4 touches in the first series.

But, Flacco was hitting short passes that were as good as runs, so maybe they just decided to stick with that. Who knows whether it would've made a difference, it was going to be hard to catch up to the UNH offense.

YoUDeeMan
October 8th, 2007, 08:52 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Let's revisit this again in another month. xnodx

UD made plenty of mistakes, especially the coaching staff, but they have more than enough talent to beat any team out there.

Don't kid yourselves, UNH fans. And at the start of the second half, UNH was certainly NOT in a prevent defense. UD went to the game plan they should have had at the beginning of the game and blew through the UHN defense for a TD without much effort. UD was again blowing through UNH's D until Omar put the ball on the ground. xsmhx

And later on, the UNH "prevent" D didn't prevent anything.

BTW, that first half fake punt was not supposed to happen. xoopsx They signals got mixed up. Ouch!

UNH won the game...congrats. And that was a super performance by your back up QB.

Whether UD was previously "battle tested" or not, the team and the coaching staff are upset about the way they played in the first half. The rest of the CAA and FCS will now have to deal with a focused UD team.

Kosty
October 8th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Can someone from UNH tell me how the AD's office can release a press release about the game and there is not one single word about Santos being hurt during the game??? Are they just ignoring the fact that he was hurt?? They mention his name once to say that he had 51 yards rushing on the day.

http://unhwildcats.com/index.cfm?id=CA22C91E-DEE5-8060-5375830A0F23F4AA&pid=773761A1-B422-425B-0BDACD0F6FC489F5&archive=0

DB_Atlantic10
October 8th, 2007, 09:32 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

UD made plenty of mistakes, especially the coaching staff, but they have more than enough talent to beat any team out there.

Don't kid yourselves, UNH fans. And at the start of the second half, UNH was certainly NOT in a prevent defense. UD went to the game plan they should have had at the beginning of the game and blew through the UHN defense for a TD without much effort. UD was again blowing through UNH's D until Omar put the ball on the ground. xsmhx

BTW, that first half fake punt was not supposed to happen. xoopsx They signals got mixed up. Ouch!

UNH won the game...congrats. And that was a super performance by your back up QB.

Whether UD was previously "battle tested" or not, the team and the coaching staff are upset about the way they played in the first half. The rest of the CAA and FCS will now have to deal with a focused UD team.

YAWN!!!! xcoffeex

OxSoxUNH05
October 8th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Can someone from UNH tell me how the AD's office can release a press release about the game and there is not one single word about Santos being hurt during the game??? Are they just ignoring the fact that he was hurt?? They mention his name once to say that he had 51 yards rushing on the day.

http://unhwildcats.com/index.cfm?id=CA22C91E-DEE5-8060-5375830A0F23F4AA&pid=773761A1-B422-425B-0BDACD0F6FC489F5&archive=0

Turns out its probably not that big a deal. Just an AC sprain, maybe they'll go with toman vs. IONA to give it more time to heal.
http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071007/SPORTS/710070363/-1/TOWN0301

UNHWildCats
October 8th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Turns out its probably not that big a deal. Just an AC sprain, maybe they'll go with toman vs. IONA to give it more time to heal.
http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071007/SPORTS/710070363/-1/TOWN0301

With them saying he coulda played the second half and having this week im sure Santos is fine and has nothing to heal... I would be surprised though to see him play this week. No reason.

Minuteman87
October 8th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Let's revisit this again in another month.

Don't kid yourselves, UNH fans. And at the start of the second half, UNH was certainly NOT in a prevent defense. UD went to the game plan they should have had at the beginning of the game and blew through the UHN defense for a TD without much effort. UD was again blowing through UNH's D until Omar put the ball on the ground.

BTW, that first half fake punt was not supposed to happen. They signals got mixed up. Ouch!

Ninety-nine percent of all failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses --George Washington Carver

He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else --Benjamin Franklin.

ChickenMan
October 8th, 2007, 06:39 PM
No excuses from me.. UNH outplayed UD for three quarters and deserved to win the game.. but anyone who thinks that one tough loss by UD or Richmond or any other CAA contender means anything more than ONE loss isn't very aware of the competition within the CAA. JMU.. in no surprise to me.. struggled mightily at N'eastern and could have very easily gotten a road loss there. There's no doubt in my mind that UD will bounce back from the UNH loss.. just as Richmond will from their loss at Towson. There's way too much football left to be played for anyone to have already determined who's who in the CAA.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 8th, 2007, 07:00 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

For the record, I said UNH went into the "prevent" defense after they went up 35-10. And I put prevent in quotes, because it obviously didn't prevent too much. My observation was that most of the blitz packages were stopped at that point in the game. Also, Omar put the ball on the deck because he got stripped by a Wildcat defender. No question that UD was moving the ball in the 3rd Qtr., but at the same time the UNH D has causing turnovers as a significant feature. Unfortunately, we've never had the studs on D to just beat teams straight up.

I read all those quotes too and for the life of me I can't figure out why they just didn't call a timeout? xconfusedx xconfusedx I haven't watched a replay of the game yet, but my memory says UD didn't line up in a punt formation (need to go watch it). It just seemed like there was plenty of time for the coaching staff to recognize the wrong formation and call time out. I didn't read any specific quotes from the coaches taking the blame for that mistake. It seemed like an odd thing to hang on the players.

No question UNH needed this game more than Delaware. And I've been following our league long enough to know that one game doesn't define a team's season (thinking about W&M crushing UNH in consecutive seasons that ended up pretty good for UNH). I fully expect UD to be in the mix come November and challenging for the CAA crown.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 8th, 2007, 07:04 PM
No excuses from me.. UNH outplayed UD for three quarters and deserved to win the game.. but anyone who thinks that one tough loss by UD or Richmond or any other CAA contender means anything more than ONE loss isn't very aware of the competition within the CAA. JMU.. in no surprise to me.. struggled mightily at N'eastern and could have very easily gotten a road loss there. There's no doubt in my mind that UD will bounce back from the UNH loss.. just as Richmond will from their loss at Towson. There's way too much football left to be played for anyone to have already determined who's who in the CAA.

Agree 100%! xnodx xnodx

Jaxhen
October 8th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Well said.

Jaxhen
October 8th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Ninety-nine percent of all failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses --George Washington Carver

He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else --Benjamin Franklin.

Pretty unfair. I think there is a difference between an excuse and offering a valid explanation of certain events. I haven't heard of one UD fan on this board or GoHens say that UD deserved to win that particular game. UNH out coached and out played UD on that particular day. UD fans have congratulated UNH on their win and their fine performance, but like any fan or coach does, you analyze your performance and what caused it and what you need to do to improve upon it so it doesn't happen again. Nothing wrong with that. I think UNH is a very talented team, but I believe UD is also. We really won't know which teams are the best in the CAA or FCS until the season is over.

YoUDeeMan
October 8th, 2007, 09:38 PM

He who laughs last, laughs loudest --- One Happy Dude xlolx xlolx xlolx