http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007710050302

ASU's QB iffy for season
Hurt shoulder may keep Edwards out
by By Keith Jarrett, [email protected]
published October 5, 2007 12:15 am
Read 1 comment »
e-mail this
Print this

ASHEVILLE- Appalachian State starting quarterback Armanti Edwards has been week-to-week with a shoulder injury since the season-opening win at Michigan, and now coach Jerry Moore is wondering if his star sophomore will play again this season.
Advertisement

Edwards, with a 14-1 record as a starter, suffered a sprained (left, throwing) shoulder and a chipped bone against the Wolverines and missed ASU's next two games.

He started the Sept. 22 game against Wofford but left early in the third quarter after taking a hit on the shoulder.

The speedy southpaw sat out last week's win at Elon and is not expected to play in Saturday's 2:30 p.m. homecoming game vs. Gardner-Webb (2-2).

"I'm practicing now and rehabbing the shoulder three times a day with ice and weights," said Edwards, who rushed for more than 1,000 yards and threw for more than 2,000 last year to lead the Mountaineers to a second straight FCS national championship.

"We've got a bye week after this game so hopefully I'll be ready for the next game (Oct. 20 vs. Georgia Southern)."

Moore, for the first time this season, suggested Edwards might not be available this year.

"It's a good guess that he might play against Georgia Southern, but right now he can't play and I don't know if he will play again this season," said Moore.

"It seems like every time he's ready to play he has another setback."

Senior reserve Trey Elder has performed well (44-of-70, 692 yards, seven TDs, 320 yards rushing, four TDs), starting three times and playing in the second half in the loss at Wofford.

"Trey taught me most of what I know about running this offense, so it's not a surprise he's playing well," said Edwards, who is 28-of-41 for 330 yards and three scores and has rushed for 99 yards and a pair of TDs.

No. 5 ASU (4-1), going after its 30th consecutive win at Kidd Brewer Stadium, won last year's meeting 41-6 at Gardner-Webb, a FCS team in the Big South Conference.

"This is a non-conference game and then we have the bye, so I guess that came at a good time," said Edwards.

"By the Georgia Southern game I will have had four weeks to heal," said Edwards. "They told me the only way I could hurt it again is if I took a hit on it, and that's what happened at Wofford.

"But it's getting better and I'm confident I'll play again this year."

BAD news for App fans.

pantherfan
October 5th, 2007, 08:21 PM
whoa....xeekx

Peems
October 5th, 2007, 08:52 PM
So does a medical redshirt come in to play

brownbear
October 5th, 2007, 09:07 PM
So does a medical redshirt come in to play

It would have to, he only played one game.

pantherfan
October 5th, 2007, 09:12 PM
It would have to, he only played one game.

Actually two...and it was 4 games into the season. Not sure how this would play out in the case of a redshirt. Heck, if he keeps progressing after recovering from this, he might skip for the NFL anyway after another year or two...xthumbsupx

Griz0383
October 5th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I wish him the best! He is amazing to watch and would be a shame if he doesn't see the field again this year!

proasu89
October 5th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Actually two...and it was 4 games into the season. Not sure how this would play out in the case of a redshirt. Heck, if he keeps progressing after recovering from this, he might skip for the NFL anyway after another year or two...xthumbsupx

It's my understanding if he takes another snap the redshirt option is gone.

GRZZ
October 5th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I have heard that playing in the a game from week four on greatly impacts whether or not you can get one. I know there have been times that it has happened though so there are exceptions to everything.

Zoo
October 5th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I wish him the best! He is amazing to watch and would be a shame if he doesn't see the field again this year!

I agree with you 100%.

Good luck to Armanti.

Retro
October 5th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I think the redshirt applies if you play in less than 20% of your teams regular season games.

blackfordpu
October 5th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I think the redshirt applies if you play in less than 20% of your teams regular season games.

You are correct.

That sucks for Edwards and Appy State. Huge blow to the team.

Good luck to him.

Lionsrking
October 5th, 2007, 11:43 PM
You are correct.

That sucks for Edwards and Appy State. Huge blow to the team.

Good luck to him.

I believe the rule is you can't participate in more than 20% of your team's games or participate in any game past the midpoint of the season. If he played in two games and neither were past the midpoint, he should be eligible for a medical redshirt.

McNeese_beat
October 5th, 2007, 11:46 PM

But I don't think you can play AFTER the first 20 percent of the schedule either. So playing in that 4th game may have disqualified him. I'm not 100 percent sure on that, so somebody feel free to clarify.

That keeps people from "calling up" redshirt freshmen to get playing time in the last two games of the year...kind of like September baseball call-ups.

Peems
October 5th, 2007, 11:48 PM
It's time for one of us to do a little research and find the NCAA "law"xreadx

texcap
October 6th, 2007, 12:07 AM
It's time for one of us to do a little research and find the NCAA "law"xreadx

I did some research on this last week. This is what I found out:

1. It is officially called a medical hardship waiver.

2. Whether it is granted is determined by the school's conference, not the NCAA (at least initially). The NCAA is the first stop only if the school is an independent. If a conference denies the request it can be appealed to the NCAA.

3. A player can play in up to 20% of the games for your team. 20% of 11 games is 2.2. In these cases the NCAA rounds up so a player can appear in 3 games.

4. The player must not have competed past the midpoint of the season, so as long as he has only played in three of the first five games he is still eleigible.

5. The player must suffer a season ending injury.

I found this information on the Virginia Tech and Lincoln University (DII I think) websites. They said almost the same thing verbaitem so I feel pretty confident of the information.

Eyes of Old Main
October 6th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Always hate to see stuff like this, but better to shut him down for the year and have him ready to go next season than risk furthering the injury. While that sucks in the short term, it'd be best in the long term, particularly if he could get a redshirt.

JayJ79
October 6th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I think it is 3 (maybe even 4) competitions, that have to have taken place in the first half of the season.

And I believe it is up to the disgression of the conference (assuming the NCAA criteria are met).

In any case, it is in section 14.2.4 of the Div. I manual

patssle
October 6th, 2007, 12:16 AM
They told me the only way I could hurt it again is if I took a hit on it, and that's what happened at Wofford.

Why do coaches do this? All it took was 1 hit to hurt him again and they knew this and they played him anyways? What do they expect...the QB won't get hit?

Thats very irresponsible of coaches.

(not ragging on just App State, but other schools have done this too)

YoUDeeMan
October 6th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I think it is 3 (maybe even 4) competitions, that have to have taken place in the first half of the season.

And I believe it is up to the disgression of the conference (assuming the NCAA criteria are met).

In any case, it is in section 14.2.4 of the Div. I manual

"A. "Hardship" is defined by NCAA regulations as "an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness," provided that certain criteria set forth by NCAA regulations are met. Such incapacity may include a female athlete's pregnancy. A student-athlete will not be charged with the loss of that season of competition eligibility by the conference or the Academics / Eligibility / Compliance Cabinet if all the following criteria are met:
1. The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institution or occurs subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete's senior year of high school;
2. The injury or illness occurs prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and
3. The injury/illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport), or 20% (whichever number is greater) of the institution's scheduled contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only scheduled competition (excluding exhibition contests and scrimmages) against outside participants during the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), is countable in calculating the number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport."

Got this from the gohens.net site. Sorry, the poster did not provide a link.

AppMan
October 6th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Why do coaches do this? All it took was 1 hit to hurt him again and they knew this and they played him anyways? What do they expect...the QB won't get hit?

From today's Winston Salem Journal.

Moore did say that there is no plan to pursue any possibility of a medical redshirt season and keep Edwards out the rest of the year.

SeattleGriz
October 6th, 2007, 12:53 AM

Not to sound like an azz, but the win over Michigan. As much as everyone covets the FCS National Championship, the win over Michigan will always be a far larger victory amongst ALL fans (FBS and FCS).

By the way, I never said it was a better victory, just bigger.

Best wishes to Armanti, for no team wants to win by default.

SeattleGriz
October 6th, 2007, 01:02 AM
By the way, as much as I love Montana football, no victory has made me as zealous, as the App State win over Michigan.

TigerFan17
October 6th, 2007, 01:36 AM
As a fan of a team that is riddled with key injuries, I feel your pain. And as a person, I wish him the best. Hate to see stuff like this. Incredible player, poise and character for such a young guy, best wishes!

xnodx xnodx xnodx

Lionsrking
October 6th, 2007, 02:02 AM
But I don't think you can play AFTER the first 20 percent of the schedule either. So playing in that 4th game may have disqualified him. I'm not 100 percent sure on that, so somebody feel free to clarify.

That keeps people from "calling up" redshirt freshmen to get playing time in the last two games of the year...kind of like September baseball call-ups.

Unless the rules changed and I missed it, that's incorrect. A player can actually play in any one particular game up to game five (in an 11-game schedule) and still be eligible for a medical hardship, assuming he hasn't participated in more than two games. In other words, he could play in game one and game five and still be eligible as long as the season ending injury occured in the first half of the season. If Leonard played in more than two games then it doesn't matter anyway, but had the fourth game only been his first or second game played, he would be eligible.

appfan2008
October 6th, 2007, 07:14 AM
it may be the best to just shut him down

Ronbo
October 6th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Your offense is still putting up good numbers with Trey. The defense seems to be a little down. Have there been injuries there too?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 6th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I don't think they need to give him a medical RS. I think if he isn't well enough to play by October 20th, he will at least be well enough to play on November 24, and I think it's safe to say that the chances of ASU not going to the playoffs are pretty remote even with Elder running the O.

Here's to hoping that is well and playing on October 20th. It'll be another great game in the GSU-ASU series.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 6th, 2007, 10:02 AM
By the way, as much as I love Montana football, no victory has made me as zealous, as the App State win over Michigan.

I don't know about you, but for me it was a combination of elation and jealousy.

Jerbearasu
October 6th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Your offense is still putting up good numbers with Trey. The defense seems to be a little down. Have there been injuries there too?

After a very tough pre-season camp it seems that the team is a lot more banged up than normal. Last week we also had two O-linemen down. As far as defense, I don't think anyone is out with injury but everyone is sore as I mentioned. The real problem with the D is that the D-ends aren't getting the pressure that they did in the past. The loss of Murrell to graduation is taking a larger toll than I thought it would. They are moving people around this week to get the right combination on the line that they are looking for. They moved Tharrington to DT and Tim Washington (LSU transfer) is getting his first start at D-end.

CamelCityAppFan
October 6th, 2007, 02:36 PM
There's a much needed bye coming up this week for the Apps. They can evaluate Armanti's healing & progress and decide whether or not to play him.

In the meantime, Trey is doing an excellent job running the offense.

I could see keeping Edwards out a few more weeks to have him ready for a playoff run, so I think a medical redshirt would only come in to play if there was no chance he could play before December.

ASU88
October 6th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I could see keeping Edwards out a few more weeks to have him ready for a playoff run, so I think a medical redshirt would only come in to play if there was no chance he could play before December.
I don't like the idea of Trey playing all or most of the rest of the season and then turning to AE in the playoffs. I think it would be expecting too much of AE to come in with so little work and be expected to play well.