PDA

View Full Version : Why the name change is not working

mcveyrl
October 5th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Just had a conversation with a co-worker that is a big Tennessee fan.

Was telling her about how we had some big games in our conference this year.

Anyway, she asked if we were NAIA or Div. II. I said no, we're I-AA (didn't use the new name). She says "Oh, so you're like App.State." I said yes. So she says "So you're now FCS." I said yes. She said "so, you used to be Div. II." xoopsx xoopsx

I tried to explain but it didn't work. And she is VERY knowledgable about football and sports.

If people didn't get it to start off, they're not going to get it now.

citdog
October 5th, 2007, 11:05 AM
women. football. enough said.

Ronbo
October 5th, 2007, 11:07 AM
One of the reasons is that media like ESPN won't change it.

Here is the I-AA scorboard. Look in the upper left area of the scoreboad. It says "Division I-AA".

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/scoreboard?confId=81&weekNumber=6&seasonYear=2007

OSBF
October 5th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Hell, on our board we still have some football "fans" that refer to FBS/BCS as DI and everything else is DII. They are forever talking about ILS moving "up" to DI football, them they get all pissy when you remind them that we already are a DI football program. No matter how hard one tries, you can't prevent the stupid from being stupid.

UNHWildCats
October 5th, 2007, 11:10 AM
my god.... its rather simple....

In the late 70's the NCAA split Div I into basically two leagues.

One was I-A the other I-AA

Trying to cause less confusion the NCAA last year changed the names to FBS and FCs to reflect the difference in each.

Its that simple.. how can anyone not understand it.

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 11:11 AM
FCS sucks. I-AA now, I-AA forever.

Interested in FCSFAN's thoughts on this. For a newcomer, he seems to know a lot about I-AA.

xnodx

Ronbo
October 5th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Email a protest to ESPN here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=espncscontact

Here is my comment to them.

There is no longer Division I-A and Division I-AA. They no longer exist. You are illegally using those terms. Please cease and desist. My next step will be to contact the NCAA.

UNHWildCats
October 5th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Email a protest to ESPN here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=espncscontact

Here is my comment to them.

xeyebrowx Im not sure its illegal to use the terms I-A and I-AA

Ronbo
October 5th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I'll bet the NCAA could sue them to cease and desist. If fact I'm sure of it. Those Divisions no longer exsist.

Cleets
October 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM
What was wrong with 1-AA ...?

Nothing, but lets "fix what ain't broke" and make it broke.. so now it needs fixin'

xnodx

xoopsx

citdog
October 5th, 2007, 11:22 AM

Nothing, but lets "fix what ain't broke" and make it broke.. so now it needs fixin'

xnodx

xoopsx

Cleets is a Southerner at heart!

AZGrizFan
October 5th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Interested in FCSFAN's thoughts on this. For a newcomer, he seems to know a lot about I-AA.

xnodx

xlolx

Cleets
October 5th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Cleets is a Southerner at heart!

I LOVE THE SOUTH..!!!! xbowx

UNHWildCats
October 5th, 2007, 11:26 AM

xnodx

xoopsx

Aside from the fact it was I-AA xcoolx

Ronbo
October 5th, 2007, 11:27 AM

xnodx

xoopsx

Mr Cleets, you can call it whatever you want. That's your right. But the Media has to get it right. I-A and I-AA no longer exsist, the NCAA has officially changed it. The Media needs to use the correct names or they are mis-reporting.

spelunker64
October 5th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Most of our local media is still using I-AA or the FCS/I-AA half way conversion...

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 11:30 AM
You know, I-AA is a proud distinction. Many multitudes of us here need to stop this "abused little sister" ***** and accept, and be proud of, the fact that we are in our own subdivision. Too much I-A wannabe shat around here, endlessly comparing us to the larger programs and whining about a lack of attention like little kids.

As Jesus Christ said, some 2000 years ago:

"Give to I-A what it I-A's and give to I-AA what is I-AA's."

Relax. Shut up. Support your team. You will NEVER be as good as Penn State or Michigan or Southern Cal.....or Montana. Move on.

xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

spelunker64
October 5th, 2007, 11:33 AM
You know, I-AA is a proud distinction. Many multitudes of us here need to stop this "abused little sister" ***** and accept, and be proud of, the fact that we are in our own subdivision. Too much I-A wannabe shat around here, endlessly comparing us to the larger programs and whining about a lack of attention like little kids.

Relax. Shut up. Support your team. You will NEVER be as good as Penn State or Michigan or Southern Cal.....or Montana. Move on.

:D

Don't forget Central Michigan, oh wait we are as good as them... xrolleyesx

DFW HOYA
October 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM
There is no longer Division I-A and Division I-AA. They no longer exist. You are illegally using those terms. Please cease and desist. My next step will be to contact the NCAA.

There are no laws governing use of these words, short of a registered trademark infringement, so it's clearly not illegal. ESPN can call it pretty much whatever it wants, anyway.

Cleets
October 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Mr Cleets, you can call it whatever you want. That's your right. But the Media has to get it right. I-A and I-AA no longer exsist, the NCAA has officially changed it. The Media needs to use the correct names or they are mis-reporting.

I call it FCS...
but nobody in the press core does...

BearsCountry
October 5th, 2007, 11:41 AM

xbowx

Ronbo
October 5th, 2007, 11:45 AM
My point is shoddy reporting. If you want I-AA back then petition the NCAA to change it back. Otherwise you are living in the past saying it. And ESPN saying it is bad reporting.

That's right! Cap'n Cat is the king of living in the past.xsmiley_wix

JayJ79
October 5th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I still think (or at least hope), that they'll change the name back.
Just like they repealed the stupid clock rule changes that they had last year.

citdog
October 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM
That's right! Cap'n Cat is the king of living in the past.xsmiley_wix

i think i have that title, thank you very much!

aust42
October 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I think the media's refusal to use the FBS/FCS terms are a clear indication of how the masses feel about the change. It was stupid. Try explaining what FBS/FCS is to the average fan. Just confuses them. There are four levels of football: 1A, 1AA, Div II and Div III. That's simplistic and a clear definition. FBS, FCS, Div II, Div III? Why not just change the classifications to FBS, FCS, FFS, FES so Div II & III don't feel like 2nd & 3rd class citizens?

MarkCCU
October 5th, 2007, 11:56 AM

xnodx

IAA...GET THE F OUT!!!!!!!!

I KNOW IAA. I'VE WORKED WITH IAA. YOU SIR ARE NO IAA!!!!!

MarkCCU
October 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Don't forget what Col.Sanders said..

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

xcoffeex xrulesx xreadx xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx

I'm not saying..I'm just saying.

andy7171
October 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM

xnodx
xlolx Cappy, you crack me the F up sometimes! xlolx

UNHWildCats
October 5th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I think the media's refusal to use the FBS/FCS terms are a clear indication of how the masses feel about the change. It was stupid. Try explaining what FBS/FCS is to the average fan. Just confuses them. There are four levels of football: 1A, 1AA, Div II and Div III. That's simplistic and a clear definition. FBS, FCS, Div II, Div III? Why not just change the classifications to FBS, FCS, FFS, FES so Div II & III don't feel like 2nd & 3rd class citizens?
Those never existed xcoolx

I dont understand how people can properly idenrtify Div II and III and yet still say Div 1 it was I-A and I-AA

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 12:02 PM
xlolx Cappy, you crack me the F up sometimes! xlolx

Only "sometimes"?

xconfusedx xconfusedx :( :( :(

:p

UNHWildCats
October 5th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Only "sometimes"?

xconfusedx xconfusedx :( :( :(

:p

Cant expect us to be cracked up when your off on one of your 10 days safari's right?

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Cant expect us to be cracked up when your off on one of your 10 days safari's right?

http://www.gata.com/gataimages/capnysu.jpg
"I can't hear you, Travis, there's some young Asian hunk yappin' in my ear!"

xlolx xlolx xlolx

MarkCCU
October 5th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Cap'n Cat http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/techtwo/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=677287#post677287)

xnodx

Of course. I-AA is the PREMIER Level of Competition when it comes to the Atheletic sport of American Football.

Anyone who follows that I-A knows jack *****. They are worthless.

They are as useless at tits on a bull.

Where have I heard that rhetoric before?

UNHWildCats
October 5th, 2007, 12:15 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

WTF a YSU shirt????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????

MarkCCU
October 5th, 2007, 12:19 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Whoa, talk about a face only a mother could love.xsmhx

Notice I didn't say whose mother? :D xsmiley_wix

MarkCCU
October 5th, 2007, 12:20 PM
WTF a YSU shirt????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????

He's a EOH,

Equal Oppurtunity Hater.

JayJ79
October 5th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Those never existed xcoolx

I dont understand how people can properly idenrtify Div II and III and yet still say Div 1 it was I-A and I-AA

I wonder if Div. II and Div. III people are so anal retentive about the roman numerals. It is much easier to type D2 and D3.

and it is/was called "one double A", not "'eye' double A", so what's the big deal?

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I wonder if Div. II and Div. III people are so anal retentive about the roman numerals. It is much easier to type D2 and D3.

and it is/was called "one double A", not "'eye' double A", so what's the big deal?

No big deal, Jaybird. I-AA is better.

Tealblood
October 5th, 2007, 12:53 PM
How bout while I was watching the Clemson-Ga Tech game on this past Sat. on ABC.

They had a listing of scores scrolling and listed different conferences and then listed I-AA scores some were correct then they listed like Middle Tenn. St and Buffalo and some others all under the banner I-AA

BulldogFan
October 5th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Sounds to me that the female UT fan knows a bit about the FCS. There is nothing better than a female college football fan. Let's wait another year or so before we give up on the new monickers.The only reason BCS took off was because of the press coverage and the fan response that ridiculed and doubted the fact that it was computer based and extremely flawed.
Go 'Dogs, Beat Wofford!

HiHiYikas
October 5th, 2007, 01:26 PM
The name change isn't "not working." The name has been changed. It worked. My wife signed her maiden name for a while after we got married. It happens all the time.

Another example, since I'm in Boone right now...I didn't park in the new parking deck yesterday, I parked in the old history building.

Y'know, if the name change was designed to turn a bunch of college football fans into smarmy, geekish, nomenclature policemen, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 01:27 PM
The name change isn't "not working." The name has been changed. It worked. My wife signed her maiden name for a while after we got married. It happens all the time.

Another example, since I'm in Boone right now...I didn't park in the new parking deck yesterday, I parked in the old history building.

Y'know, if the name change was designed to turn a bunch of college football fans into smarmy, geekish, nomenclature policemen, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

As you say, "it happens all the time". We'll see which survives, Yikey.

:)

But, I'm still interested in what FCSFAN has to say about this issue. For a newcomer, out of nowhere, he seems to be well-versed in I-AA shiat.

Mountaineer
October 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM

This. xthumbsupx

But, I'm still interested in what FCSFAN has to say about this issue. For a newcomer, out of nowhere, he seems to be well-versed in I-AA shiat.

xlolx xlolx

xwhistlex

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 01:34 PM
This. xthumbsupx

xlolx xlolx

xwhistlex

What?

Dude should share his accumulated knowledge. I'm sure there's a stat and I-AA history freak hiding behind that username....among other things!

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Mountaineer
October 5th, 2007, 01:38 PM
What?

Dude should share his accumulated knowledge. I'm sure there's a stat and I-AA history freak hiding behind that username....among other things!

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Definitely. I, however, am keeping my mouth shut before the strike or ban
stick comes down. I mean look at all the trouble AZ gets in. xeyebrowx

xsmiley_wix :p xlolx

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/2676/the20truthij7.jpg

gophoenix
October 5th, 2007, 01:51 PM

xnodx

It all sucks. Make it D-I. We're all D-I, no subclassification. Make the max scholarships be 85 or whatever. If you _want_ to fund 85, go ahead. At the beginning of the year, each conference decides whether to participate in the playoff system or the bowl system. If you want to be in the playoff system, you must give 63 scholarships for a maximum of 5 years, but anyone can play up to the bowl level.

It is easy. Number of fans in stadiums doesn't matter in any other sports. Number of scholarships given doesn't matter in any other sport. Number of coaches hired doesn't matter in any other sports.

This whole thing with football is BS. And if it is that focused on money, then all the FBS programs and the NCAA need to stop masking themselves as non-profits and the IRS needs to hit them for what they are.

UMass922
October 5th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Yahoo! uses the correct nomenclature for its scoreboard. So it's entirely doable.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/scoreboard?&w=6&c=iaa_all

mcveyrl
October 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM
It all sucks. Make it D-I. We're all D-I, no subclassification. Make the max scholarships be 85 or whatever. If you _want_ to fund 85, go ahead. At the beginning of the year, each conference decides whether to participate in the playoff system or the bowl system. If you want to be in the playoff system, you must give 63 scholarships for a maximum of 5 years, but anyone can play up to the bowl level.

It is easy. Number of fans in stadiums doesn't matter in any other sports. Number of scholarships given doesn't matter in any other sport. Number of coaches hired doesn't matter in any other sports.

This whole thing with football is BS. And if it is that focused on money, then all the FBS programs and the NCAA need to stop masking themselves as non-profits and the IRS needs to hit them for what they are.

I agree in principle, although that seems kind of complicated.

The whole problem is that the people who thought we were D2 to start off with just think that D2 changed to FCS.

SU Jag
October 5th, 2007, 02:11 PM
the name change was dumb for the start! I still say 1-AA.

Seahawks Fan
October 5th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Here is from Don Hansen's "The Red Zone":

"...the NCAA geniuses mandated that the familiar separation of Division 1 football teams into two distinct categories, 1-A and 1-AA, shall henceforth be redesignated the Football Bowl Subdivision(FBS) and the Football Championship Subdivision(FCS). Now I am clearly not a genius, like those who sit atop the heirarchies at America's largest and most prestigious universities, so I'm having some difficulty trying to understand how this change could be any more confusing than it seems. First of all, 1-A and 1-AA are very clear and simple, and they have worked well for almost 30 years. Was there a problem here? USA Today and most major newpapers have not confused their readers by referring to FBS and FCS, and have sensibly continued to use the time-honored 1-A and 1-AA monickers. Second, why change to an acronym which includes two of the same words and results in confusing even the most avid of college football fans? Why not call it what it really is...the bowl-eligible division (how about "B"?) and the playoff-eligible division ("P" would work!)? Thus we can easily distinguish between the teams that actually play for a national title from those who vie to play in televised bowl games for the privilege of allowing someone else's opinion to rank them at the end of the season. As we have seen over and over historically, the bowl system is a terrible way to try to determine a national champion in major college football. Three years out of four a one-game "playoff" (i.e., bowl game) is not adequate to crown a true champion. This year is a prime example...this past week five of the Top 10 teams four weeks into the season were upset, most by unrated teams, creating a huge upheaval in the rankings. What's to say that the same teams at the end of the season could not be upset by other teams in the top sixteen in the final ratings? This problem is no longer a whisper to the geniuses who run the NCAA, it is a howling scream. The next time the NCAA wants to introduce a major change, why not make it the only one that really is important? Why not institute the long-needed 16-team playoff in 1-A? Yes, that's right, I called it 1-A!"

http://www.donhansen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1670

I agree with him. xthumbsupx

JALMOND
October 5th, 2007, 03:27 PM
This week I heard some co-workers hashing over the losses by both the Ducks and Beavers, and the talk got to the point where there were no big DI wins by the state last week. I told them that PSU beat Eastern Washington and that PSU is DI so the Vikings got the only DI win. This brought out a small chuckle followed by a roar of laughter. I was told that, if I wanted to follow small college football, I should follow Linfield. They also informed me that the only big time DI football in Oregon is the Pac-10 and that, if I don't know about the Pac-10, then I know nothing.

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Definitely. I, however, am keeping my mouth shut before the strike or ban
stick comes down. I mean look at all the trouble AZ gets in. xeyebrowx

xsmiley_wix :p xlolx

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/2676/the20truthij7.jpg

I don't understand. You know a guy is someone else (or three others) and you can't point that out?

And, I'M the one with the problem.

????

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

:D

PMB4Life
October 5th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Anyway, she asked if we were NAIA or Div. II. I said no, we're I-AA (didn't use the new name). She says "Oh, so you're like App.State." I said yes. So she says "So you're now FCS." I said yes. She said "so, you used to be Div. II."

I tried to explain but it didn't work. And she is VERY knowledgable about football and sports.

It seems to me if she were VERY knowledgeable, she'd know what I-AA was or the fact that Tennessee is HOME to the I-AA national championship. We have a lot of women here at UNI who know that I-AA is not a type of battery, and that FCS is not a feminine hygiene product. But I'll bet they aren't knowledgeable like your friend.

Eyes of Old Main
October 5th, 2007, 07:50 PM

xnodx

Nice xthumbsupx

FCSFAN
October 5th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Nice and wrong.......................... just because someone knows way more than him about the FCS............ that's not hard to do..............

Eyes of Old Main
October 5th, 2007, 08:03 PM
I prefer the I-AA moniker to FCS. I use FCS here since some people are zealots about it, but elsewhere, it's "all I-AA, all the time".

If ESPN, etc. won't change, that ought to show people that it is a stupid change. Most football fans with any sense khew what I-AA was, now most think FCS is D-II. What does that tell you? It's confusing.

Either way, sending e-mails, writing letters and making phone calls using terms like "illegal" makes us look like lunatics and freaks. Educate through reasoned discourse, not abrasive language. Stuff like that fuels the fire that we are small time. Just like those tactics can make the gun lobby, the environmentalists, fundamentalist churches, and many others look out of touch, so will it make us look out of touch. You can apply that thought to the "Divvy Awards" as well. If I was a sportswriter that was "given" on of those, I'd make sure my next column hgihlighted it and thrash the sender appropriately. Never argue with people who buy ink by the barrel (or bandwidth by the server).

In reality, I think it is a move to further distance our level of play from the BCS schools so less focus is paid to us in favor of them and their financial interests. Everything happens for a reason, and the BCS schools want to limit competition from wherever they can. Why else would they be talking about enforcing long ignored attendence requirements that will flush half the Sun Belt and MAC back down to FCS?

On last thought. Last Saturday, I noticed that the lettering on the outside of Paladin Stadium and on the Fieldhouse inside the stadium, their titles and championship appearances were referred to as "1AA" and not "I-AA". Isn't that some sort of blasphemy?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 5th, 2007, 08:03 PM
I think FCS sucks. Can't figure out why it's a big deal to some if you use the term 1AA as this is what I grew up with. This site and a lot of others I go to never seemed to have a problem with the moniker in the past before the change. Now we have to have both to get the point across as to what level we are talking about. I haven't seen one article written on 1AA football that didn't have the quotes saying that it was formerly called 1AA football.

Eyes of Old Main
October 5th, 2007, 08:08 PM
and wrong.......................... just because someone knows way more than him about the FCS............ that's not hard to do..............

I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with him, I just thought it was semi-humorous and wanted to ackowledge that he made me laugh. No harm, no foul. xpeacex

As to who knows what about FCS, I can't (and won't) say. But the community might not agree with you on that since from time to time newer and lower post count posters are shot down as not knowing as much as someone who's been around or has more posts to their credit. I disagree with that and don't ascribe to that style of rebuttal, but it happens. I enjoy both of your posts and the only thing I am sure of is that you both no more about FCS as a whole than I do. xbowx xbowx

skinny_uncle
October 5th, 2007, 08:12 PM
"What's in a name?"

Peems
October 5th, 2007, 08:48 PM

xnodx

Well Cappy, it should be noted that FCSFAN has been around since July of 2003, just look at his join date. Which begs the question, how did he know about the name change before the NCAA?:)xeyebrowx

Eyes of Old Main
October 6th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Well Cappy, it should be noted that FCSFAN has been around since July of 2003, just look at his join date. Which begs the question, how did he know about the name change before the NCAA?:)xeyebrowx

Maybe he's on the NCAA committee and knew that if he could talk them into that name, it would match the AGS user name he had already established.

Either that or the user name was registered by a guy standing in the bushes on the grassy knoll.

AmsterBison
October 6th, 2007, 02:08 AM
For football, either name works.

I've always thought the change was more for other sports. I know the media in the hometown of NDSU's old rival was pretty consistent about saying that NDSU was DI-AA in basketball and that NDSU was moving its athletic programs to DI-AA.

BDKJMU
October 6th, 2007, 08:28 AM
xnodx

Ditto. Always have used I-AA. Probably always will.

McTailGator
October 6th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Anyway, she asked if we were NAIA or Div. II. I said no, we're I-AA (didn't use the new name). She says "Oh, so you're like App.State." I said yes. So she says "So you're now FCS." I said yes. She said "so, you used to be Div. II." xoopsx xoopsx

KEEP IT SIMPLE FOR ALL OF THEM...

WE ARE DIVISION I

JEEZ,

What is so hard about that?