PDA

View Full Version : When are these schools eligible for FCS Playoffs?

Timpdude
October 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I am curious.. We have a discussion going on over at www.gojaxstate.com (Jacksonville State University fanboard) that somehow started talking about the Great West Football Conference. It got me thinking...

When will NDSU and SDSU be eligible for the playoffs? Will they both be eligible next year when they go to the Gateway? Or are they eligible for one this year?

When will UND and USD be eligible for bids from the Great West (after they join next year)? This would have a lot of effect on the playoff expansion as the GWC would need to add 1 more team to the conference to be eligible for the autobid should the NCAA open it up for them. Any thoughts on who the 6th team could be? Or do you think they will try to apply for the autobid with 5 teams?

--Timpdude

BisonBabe
October 4th, 2007, 02:16 PM
I am curious.. We have a discussion going on over at www.gojaxstate.com (Jacksonville State University fanboard) that somehow started talking about the Great West Football Conference. It got me thinking...

When will NDSU and SDSU be eligible for the playoffs? Will they both be eligible next year when they go to the Gateway? Or are they eligible for one this year?

When will UND and USD be eligible for bids from the Great West (after they join next year)? This would have a lot of effect on the playoff expansion as the GWC would need to add 1 more team to the conference to be eligible for the autobid should the NCAA open it up for them. Any thoughts on who the 6th team could be? Or do you think they will try to apply for the autobid with 5 teams?

--Timpdude

NDSU and SDSU will be playoff eligible next year

UAalum72
October 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM

--Timpdude
NCAA rule - all conferences must have six teams together for two years in order to apply for an autobid, applies to all sports.

I think UND and USD don't even start the clock for the conference until they finish their transition, so the GWC will need three playoff-eligible teams to join now to get the AQ in two years. UND and USD can't help the application until 2012 or 2013?