PDA

View Full Version : Who gets the seeds?

Khan4Cats
October 4th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Okay, I'm bored and really wanted to start another thread where Griz and Bison fans can start sniping at each other.xrolleyesx

No seriously, this, I think gets to the heart of the current, and silly (for now) debate over who should be #1.
That is: what happens if....

Montana runs the table to finish 11-0

McNeese runs the table to finish 11-0

SIU or UNI run the table to finish 11-0

Delaware and UMass run the table, Delaware would be 11-0, UMass 10-1 but would tie for CAA title

Appalachian State and Wofford run the table, both would be 10-1, Wofford would get the auto-bid.

Which teams get the seeds? I don't see the committee giving three "western" teams seeds (Big Sky, Southland, and Gateway). I also don't see them passing up the $$$ from Montana even though McNeese and UNI/SIU would have FBS wins on their resume.

Wow, I wish we had a game this week. I guess I can hope for some upsets that might clarify this a little. But it does make for some interesting discussion.

Grizzaholic
October 4th, 2007, 12:16 PM
No comment....damn I just made a comment.

FCS Go!
October 4th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Montana- they'd still be #1 right?xbawlingx
Gateway champ- toughest conf. in FCS
App St- win over Mich trumps away loss
UMass- loss @BC better than win over Westchester or whoever they are.

Ronbo
October 4th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Griz go 11-0 plus 23,500 a game attendance, Griz get a top 2 seed. Take that to the bank.

But..... why worry. If the Griz are as weak as you all think we'll be 8-3 or 9-2 and the subject will be moot.xsmiley_wix

GannonFan
October 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Okay, I'm bored and really wanted to start another thread where Griz and Bison fans can start sniping at each other.xrolleyesx

No seriously, this, I think gets to the heart of the current, and silly (for now) debate over who should be #1. That is what happens if....

Delaware and UMass run the table, Delaware would be 11-0, UMass 10-1 but would tie for CAA title

Appalachian State and Wofford run the table, both would be 10-1, Wofford would get the auto-bid.

Which teams get the seeds? I don't see the committee giving three "western" teams seeds (Big Sky, Southland, and Gateway). I also don't see them passing up the $$$ from Montana even though McNeese and UNI/SIU would have FBS wins on their resume.

Wow, I wish we had a game this week. I guess I can hope for some upsets that might clarify this a little. But it does make for some interesting discussion.

Well, you have 4 undefeated teams in your scenario - those 4 get the seeds. The only one without an FBS team and therefore win in your scenario would be Montana, but they would still trump Wofford at 10-1 with a loss to an FBS team. Appy St wouldn't be considered for a seed if that many undefeated teams with FBS wins were there, plus Wofford would get the seed before them due to the head to head.

blur2005
October 4th, 2007, 12:22 PM

No seriously, this, I think gets to the heart of the current, and silly (for now) debate over who should be #1. That is what happens if....

Delaware isn't going 11-0. I don't know if any CAA team will be able to pull off an 8-0 record in conference play.

Since Montana will probably go 11-0, they'll likely get a seed. UNI will get a seed. Wofford will get a seed over App State if they manage to go 10-1. I gotta say of the teams left, App State might actually get the last seed, giving the SoCon two seeded teams.

nmatsen
October 4th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Montana gets a 3-4 seed even at 9-2. The NCAA will not pass up the money.

AZGrizFan
October 4th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Montana gets a 3-4 seed even at 9-2. The NCAA will not pass up the money.

Not in his scenario. If there's that many teams at 11-0, 10-1, there's no way the NCAA gives Montana a seed @ 9-2.

EmeryZach
October 4th, 2007, 12:48 PM
If UMass can get by UNH then we should be fine and we should get the seed.

OldFootballGuy
October 4th, 2007, 01:45 PM

No seriously, this, I think gets to the heart of the current, and silly (for now) debate over who should be #1.

In your scenario, the seeds would be as follows:

#1 Montana - Big crowds = Big $
#2 Appalachian St. - Two-time defending champs with a win at Michigan
#3 Northern Iowa
#4 UMass

Wofford gets woffed again because the committee does not want a semi-final game on national TV played in front of 6,147 people.

GannonFan
October 4th, 2007, 01:47 PM
In your scenario, the seeds would be as follows:

#3 Northern Iowa
#4 UMass

Wofford gets woffed again because the committee does not want a semi-final game on national TV played in front of 6,147 people.

If UD runs the table as in this scenario, they'd be 11-0 with a win over an FBS team, and wins agains UNH, JMU, and Richmond. UMass would have wins over UNH and Hofstra and a loss to an FBS team. I think UMass is pretty good, but they wouldn't get a seed as a 10-1 team over an 11-0 UD team.

Cap'n Cat
October 4th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Well, you know Montana has one printed up already in Selection Committe Land, their "Auto-Auto", so there are only three available.

OldFootballGuy
October 4th, 2007, 01:53 PM
If UD runs the table as in this scenario, they'd be 11-0 with a win over an FBS team, and wins agains UNH, JMU, and Richmond. UMass would have wins over UNH and Hofstra and a loss to an FBS team. I think UMass is pretty good, but they wouldn't get a seed as a 10-1 team over an 11-0 UD team.

You're right, I overlooked Delaware when I was writing that. They would get the #4 instead of UMass.

Go...gate
October 4th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Delaware isn't going 11-0. I don't know if any CAA team will be able to pull off an 8-0 record in conference play.

Since Montana will probably go 11-0, they'll likely get a seed. UNI will get a seed. Wofford will get a seed over App State if they manage to go 10-1. I gotta say of the teams left, App State might actually get the last seed, giving the SoCon two seeded teams.

Delaware beats Navy and UMass and they may very well go 11-0. They look like of a hell of a club.

ChickenMan
October 4th, 2007, 02:57 PM
UD doesn't play UMass.. but I seriously doubt that they will go unbeaten.

Grizzaholic
October 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Well, you know Montana has one printed up already in Selection Committe Land, their "Auto-Auto", so there are only three available.

And that would be correct!!! AZ tell him what he has won.xlolx

DuckDuckGriz
October 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Delaware could also make the case for crowd and $$. I think Montana gets in as one but has to go undefeated or lose only 1 game for that to happen.

bjtheflamesfan
October 4th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Assuming everything works out as Khan says, Id have it this way:

#1 UNI- Undefeated, with a win over a I-A/FBS team and conference champ
#2 Montana- Not a big fan of the schedule but undefeated is undefeated
#3 UMass- Only loss to an FBS team, and winning a tough conference in the CAA
#4 Wofford- Win over Appy State, and winning out in SoCon (which ASU has pretty much owned the last couple years)

blukeys
October 4th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Assuming everything works out as Khan says, Id have it this way:

#1 UNI- Undefeated, with a win over a I-A/FBS team and conference champ
#2 Montana- Not a big fan of the schedule but undefeated is undefeated
#3 UMass- Only loss to an FBS team, and winning a tough conference in the CAA
#4 Wofford- Win over Appy State, and winning out in SoCon (which ASU has pretty much owned the last couple years)

If Delaware goes 11-0 they would have a win over an FBS team (Navy) and will have won what appears to be the stronger division of the CAA.

bjtheflamesfan
October 4th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Well does the CAA have a championship game? If so, UD and UMASS would be on a collision course

mcveyrl
October 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Well does the CAA have a championship game? If so, UD and UMASS would be on a collision course

No, it doesn't (but it should!). That was one of the first threads I started here at AGS...

In this scenario Delaware has to get the seed over UMass if they beat Navy, JMU, Richmond, and UNH. Plus the $$ issue.

Delaware has a much tougher CAA schedule than UMass.

mcveyrl
October 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM
By the way, if Delaware goes undeafeated, they should be a 1 or 2 seed.

james_lawfirm
October 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Well, you have 4 undefeated teams in your scenario - those 4 get the seeds. The only one without an FBS team and therefore win in your scenario would be Montana, but they would still trump Wofford at 10-1 with a loss to an FBS team. Appy St wouldn't be considered for a seed if that many undefeated teams with FBS wins were there, plus Wofford would get the seed before them due to the head to head.

GannonFan:
You are assuming that an 11-0 team is > a 10-1 team. Not necessarily true. My example (& one I am SURE the playoff committee will remember) is Hampton in 2005. They were 11-0 got a #4 seed & got soundly defeated at home in the FIRST round. Future committees will not make the same mistake. In 2006, the committee must have done something right b/c no seeded team lost to an unseeded team. Therefore, they MUST be figuring in strength of schedule into the seeds. Not sure that attendance is figured in, but it might be.

Thus, I believe a 10-1 ASU team WOULD be considered for a seed, assuming Wofford & ASU win out (a very tough assumption). Also, following from the same argument, one simply must question whether Montana gets a seed at all. Maybe, but maybe not.

mcveyrl
October 4th, 2007, 04:48 PM
GannonFan:
You are assuming that an 11-0 team is > a 10-1 team. Not necessarily true. My example (& one I am SURE the playoff committee will remember) is Hampton in 2005. They were 11-0 got a #4 seed & got soundly defeated at home in the FIRST round. Future committees will not make the same mistake. In 2006, the committee must have done something right b/c no seeded team lost to an unseeded team. Therefore, they MUST be figuring in strength of schedule into the seeds. Not sure that attendance is figured in, but it might be.

Thus, I believe a 10-1 ASU team WOULD be considered for a seed, assuming Wofford & ASU win out (a very tough assumption). Also, following from the same argument, one simply must question whether Montana gets a seed at all. Maybe, but maybe not.

I think the SOS and conference difference in the Hampton example make it apples and oranges.

I think ASU would be CONSIDERED for a seed. But if the Gateway and CAA champs were undefeated in conference, they'd get seeds. Plus, you KNOW an 11-0 Montana team gets a seed.

That leaves one seed for probably 5-6 worthy teams. ASU would be in that mix, but I'm not sure they'd get it.

bjtheflamesfan
October 4th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I'll grant you that one. JMU and UNH have been right around if not in the top 10 all year, and a win over an FBS does have a lot more weight than a competitive loss. Maybe Yeager can consider working out a championship game. I mean I think they have enough teams to make it happen.

james_lawfirm
October 4th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I think the SOS and conference difference in the Hampton example make it apples and oranges.

I think ASU would be CONSIDERED for a seed. But if the Gateway and CAA champs were undefeated in conference, they'd get seeds. Plus, you KNOW an 11-0 Montana team gets a seed.

That leaves one seed for probably 5-6 worthy teams. ASU would be in that mix, but I'm not sure they'd get it.

Huh? You don't just figure SOS based on OOC games. The strength of the in-conference teams also count. So, I don't understand your apples & oranges comment. The SoCon is tougher than last year.

And, I do not KNOW that an 11-0 Montana would get a seed. That was my point with Hampton.

eaglesrthe1
October 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Delaware could also make the case for crowd and $$. I think Montana gets in as one but has to go undefeated or lose only 1 game for that to happen.

Don't forget, when it comes to attendance, ASU will be top dog this year.

Petrie Dish
October 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I'll grant you that one. JMU and UNH have been right around if not in the top 10 all year, and a win over an FBS does have a lot more weight than a competitive loss. Maybe Yeager can consider working out a championship game. I mean I think they have enough teams to make it happen.

Teams can only play in one post-season. If the CAA had a championship, the two teams playing in it would be ineligible for the playoffs. See the SWAC.

james_lawfirm
October 4th, 2007, 04:57 PM

I don't know who Yeager is, but if you are talking about a CAA championship game, I think there is a rule that a conference cannot play a champ game AND play in the playoffs. Or, perhaps they can if everyone stays under the 11 reg. season games. For some reason, no other FCS conferences do that, and I presume it is due to NCAA regs.

DuckDuckGriz
October 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Don't forget, when it comes to attendance, ASU will be top dog this year.

Yeah but does ASU make as much money? Don't they stuff some fans into those hillsides for extra cheap and/or free?

Also if ASU drops one or 2 more games will they continue to sell out?

DOME
October 4th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I know the UNIDOME will sell 16-17,000 tickets. Is that small for a FCS stadium?

Cap'n Cat
October 4th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Griz go 11-0 plus 23,500 a game attendance, Griz get a top 2 seed. Take that to the bank.

But..... why worry. If the Griz are as weak as you all think we'll be 8-3 or 9-2 and the subject will be moot.xsmiley_wix

Ronboy - no one thinks Montana is weak, it's their schedule. Weak non-conf, weak conf. Waste of a seed if they get in.

Setting things straight.

mcveyrl
October 4th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Huh? You don't just figure SOS based on OOC games. The strength of the in-conference teams also count. So, I don't understand your apples & oranges comment. The SoCon is tougher than last year.

And, I do not KNOW that an 11-0 Montana would get a seed. That was my point with Hampton.

I guess Montana and Hampton might be comparable, but the SOS and conference (which I see what you're saying about them going hand-in-hand) is much better for the CAA and Gateway. I think an undefeated team in those leagues definitely get seeds. FWIW, the SoCon strength of schedule is greater too, and if it was ASU that went undefeated in conference I would say they'd definintely get a seed, but see below for why that might not be the case.

And I KNOW that an 11-0 Montana gets a seed because they're Montana. They're the Notre Dame of FCS!! Their SOS might be comparable to Hampton, but their sway with the committee is much greater.

So, if there's undefeated Gateway and CAA champs, they get seeds. An undefeated Montana gets a seed. And then there's 5-6 for the last seed. My gut reaction is that the SoCon champ gets that seed, but that's where I think ASU might get considered over Wofford because of the win over Michigan and stadium capacity.

BTW, the order of these seeds is anybody's guess.

Peems
October 4th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I guess Montana and Hampton might be comparable, but the SOS and conference (which I see what you're saying about them going hand-in-hand) is much better for the CAA and Gateway. I think an undefeated team in those leagues definitely get seeds. FWIW, the SoCon strength of schedule is greater too, and if it was ASU that went undefeated in conference I would say they'd definintely get a seed, but see below for why that might not be the case.

And I KNOW that an 11-0 Montana gets a seed because they're Montana. They're the Notre Dame of FCS!! Their SOS might be comparable to Hampton, but their sway with the committee is much greater.

So, if there's undefeated Gateway and CAA champs, they get seeds. An undefeated Montana gets a seed. And then there's 5-6 for the last seed. My gut reaction is that the SoCon champ gets that seed, but that's where I think ASU might get considered over Wofford because of the win over Michigan and stadium capacity.

BTW, the order of these seeds is anybody's guess.

First off, the Hampton Montana thing is silly. People are going off the fact that since Montana had a weak OOC schedule that everything is weak regarding them. The Big Sky is not the CAA, but the Big Sky is also not the MEAC. By comparing the two you are insulting the entire Big Sky. Also "Notre Dame of the FCS" what does that mean? Does it mean that we are ALWAYS overranked NEVER beat big time opponents? That was a dumb comment. If the Griz go undefeated, they will have done so going through one of the top 5 conferences in the country, that is not THAT weak.

james_lawfirm
October 4th, 2007, 08:29 PM
First off, the Hampton Montana thing is silly. People are going off the fact that since Montana had a weak OOC schedule that everything is weak regarding them. The Big Sky is not the CAA, but the Big Sky is also not the MEAC. By comparing the two you are insulting the entire Big Sky. Also "Notre Dame of the FCS" what does that mean? Does it mean that we are ALWAYS overranked NEVER beat big time opponents? That was a dumb comment. If the Griz go undefeated, they will have done so going through one of the top 5 conferences in the country, that is not THAT weak.

Peems:

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never compared the Big Sky with the CAA or the MEAC. I can be insulting without help from others (pun intended.) For the record, someone else mentioned Notre Dame, not me.

I was comparing Hampton's SOS in 2005 w/ Montana's this year. No offense was intended. I guess my real concern here is that team's with weak schedules should not get a seed. Period. This is the counter to the scheme of arranging an easy schedule so you can go 11 - 0. Numerous posters have mentioned concerns about Montana's weak schedule, I am not the only one. If the Big Sky is "not that weak", then the SOS will rise and these concerns will cease.

For what it's worth, I am REALLY hoping for an ASU/Montana rematch of the 2000 playoffs. This time, it's our turn - in Boone.

mcveyrl
October 4th, 2007, 08:36 PM

I guess what I was trying to say is that if ANY of those conferences could possibly be compared to the MEAC it would be the Big Sky, but I do agree that the Big Sky is a better conference.

I also wasn't trying to say that Montana is overranked (if you read the other threads, I've got them No. 2 in my poll). I was saying that they are one of the traditionally revered programs that, if we were honest, is historically favored by the committee (and they've deserved it).

My original point was that an undefeated Griz get a seed. I reinforced that point, when somebody said they weren't guaranteed a seed, by saying that they are one of the revered teams that the committee looks favorably on. In other words, even if they had the SOS of a MEAC school, they'd get a seed at 11-0.

Chill out. I think Montana's a good team or I wouldn't have them number 2. I was pointing out a few things for the sake of argument, not trying to take anything away from Montana.
xpeacex xpeacex

Grizaholic17
October 4th, 2007, 08:41 PM

If Montana wins out, they will stay #1 or #2 in the Sports Network poll. They can't bump them down unless they lose. And crowds and money matters more than SOS. And they don't base most of it on SOS. Have you been around the past couple of years???? Montana has 3 ranked teams on its agenda by the way. Actually, make that 2...EWU was knocked down after there loss this past week. And, Sac State killed NAU more than App. St. did. All confusing, but give the credit to BSC. It is GOOD!

Grizaholic17
October 4th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Peems:

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never compared the Big Sky with the CAA or the MEAC. I can be insulting without help from others (pun intended.) For the record, someone else mentioned Notre Dame, not me.

I was comparing Hampton's SOS in 2005 w/ Montana's this year. No offense was intended. I guess my real concern here is that team's with weak schedules should not get a seed. Period. This is the counter to the scheme of arranging an easy schedule so you can go 11 - 0. Numerous posters have mentioned concerns about Montana's weak schedule, I am not the only one. If the Big Sky is "not that weak", then the SOS will rise and these concerns will cease.

For what it's worth, I am REALLY hoping for an ASU/Montana rematch of the 2000 playoffs. This time, it's our turn - in Boone.

You won't get it in Boone if Montana wins out. I don't think you understand that. If Montana wins out, then all playoff opponents go to the zoo! And, by the way, Kidd-Brewer is no Wa/Griz. You keep thinking it is...but it's not. sorry to burst your bubble. When you get a 88.8% winning percentage, then you can talk.

james_lawfirm
October 4th, 2007, 08:52 PM
You won't get it in Boone if Montana wins out. I don't think you understand that. If Montana wins out, then all playoff opponents go to the zoo! And, by the way, Kidd-Brewer is no Wa/Griz. You keep thinking it is...but it's not. sorry to burst your bubble. When you get a 88.8% winning percentage, then you can talk.

Maybe we meet in Boone, maybe not. I do not agree (or understand) that Montana automatically gets a seed if they win out. We will see - lots of football left. I tried to arrange a game last year in Chatty, but y'all screwed it up.

Percentages are nice, but 29 straights wins at home are even better.

As to your earlier post, I believe the playoff committee pays more attention to the GPI (Mont. #10) than the Sports Network poll (Mont. #1).

JmuSkinsfan
October 4th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Man, everyones giving love to UD. Let's not forget that JMU is ranked higher and has just as good of a chance of going undefeated as UD from here on out ....but it won't happen. JMU will likely finish 9-2, same with UD, and UMASS will likely finish 10-1. That gives JMU and UD chances at homefield games, but not a seed...and if Umass wins out they gotta get a seed.

The way I see it...is Montana (assuming they win out) will get a seed, UNI (if they win out) gets a seed. Then the winner of the CAA gets a seed, and whoever finishes 2nd in the Gateway or CAA (whoever has a stronger SOS most likely) will get a seed, assuming App. State and Wofford finish 9-2.

There could easily be a jumble at the top, but I don't think Montana will win out...

Chances are, we will see a few teams at 10-1...and those few teams will get the seeds. Maybe even a 9-2 team will get a seed ala YSU last year. It's early in the season, and while I agree with most of you that the top is much heavier this year than in the past, there will still be upsets along the way which will make it easier for the committee come November...not all the top teams will come out of conference play unscathed.

mcveyrl
October 4th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Man, everyones giving love to UD. Let's not forget that JMU is ranked higher and has just as good of a chance of going undefeated as UD from here on out ....but it won't happen. JMU will likely finish 9-2, same with UD, and UMASS will likely finish 10-1. That gives JMU and UD chances at homefield games, but not a seed...and if Umass wins out they gotta get a seed.

The way I see it...is Montana (assuming they win out) will get a seed, UNI (if they win out) gets a seed. Then the winner of the CAA gets a seed, and whoever finishes 2nd in the Gateway or CAA (whoever has a stronger SOS most likely) will get a seed, assuming App. State and Wofford finish 9-2.

There could easily be a jumble at the top, but I don't think Montana will win out...

Chances are, we will see a few teams at 10-1...and those few teams will get the seeds. Maybe even a 9-2 team will get a seed ala YSU last year. It's early in the season, and while I agree with most of you that the top is much heavier this year than in the past, there will still be upsets along the way which will make it easier for the committee come November...not all the top teams will come out of conference play unscathed.

I wasn't necessarily giving love to UD, blech!!, I was just using the scenario given at the beginning.

appfan2008
October 4th, 2007, 09:11 PM
app st will have a seed if they finish 8-3 due to money... in 05 we were 8-3 and seeded 2 bc our loses were kansas lsu and at furman

Grizaholic17
October 4th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Maybe we meet in Boone, maybe not. I do not agree (or understand) that Montana automatically gets a seed if they win out. We will see - lots of football left. I tried to arrange a game last year in Chatty, but y'all screwed it up.

Percentages are nice, but 29 straights wins at home are even better.

As to your earlier post, I believe the playoff committee pays more attention to the GPI (Mont. #10) than the Sports Network poll (Mont. #1).

Hate to say it, but again, have you been around for the past couple of years? Montana will get playoffs throughout if they win out...no matter what. It is how the stupid, yes stupid, system works. I think it is ridiculous, but that's how it is. And we have been to the consecutive home wins and back. We are used to it....sounds conceded, I know, but nothing new to us.

McNeese75
October 4th, 2007, 09:21 PM
yall are all full of s^%t xnodx :D

GannonFan
October 4th, 2007, 09:22 PM
app st will have a seed if they finish 8-3 due to money... in 05 we were 8-3 and seeded 2 bc our loses were kansas lsu and at furman

And this year if Appy St finishes 8-3 the losses will be to Wofford and two other FCS teams - heck, I think they'll all be conference losses. No way, no how, does Appy St, at such an 8-3, get a seed. Mark it down. xthumbsupx

AlphaSigMD
October 4th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Meh, it probably won't matter much this year, because Montana will not go thru the big sky undefeated. Somebody will get them, and then everyone will jump off their bandwagon, just like App State. Then they'll go on a string of wins, sneak into the playoffs with a 4 seed, and win two close games with Southern Ill and McNeese, before losing at No.1 UNI at the dome.

Take that to the bank.

AlphaSigMD
October 4th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Unless they really suck, and go 8-3 with 3 BSC losses. An 8-3 montana misses the playoffs.

An 8-3 UNI, SIU, App State, UMass, Delaware and UNH will go to the playoffs. Wofford, would probably...but they never have before...but this year is different.

AlphaSigMD
October 4th, 2007, 09:28 PM
That should get the griz faithful roaring...

DuckDuckGriz
October 4th, 2007, 09:31 PM
That should get the griz faithful roaring...
http://www.discoverychannel.com.au/survival_zone/worst_case/bear/asset/9848645080343892_When%20It's%20A%20Bear,%20Don't%2 0Stare_page1.jpg

Grizaholic17
October 4th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Unless they really suck, and go 8-3 with 3 BSC losses. An 8-3 montana misses the playoffs.

An 8-3 UNI, SIU, App State, UMass, Delaware and UNH will go to the playoffs. Wofford, would probably...but they never have before...but this year is different.

That won't happen...sorry. One of these years it might, but the griz are GOOD! Just wait.

AlphaSigMD
October 4th, 2007, 09:35 PM
That won't happen...sorry. One of these years it might, but the griz are GOOD! Just wait.

I agree. I fully believe that they will accomplish the 1st scxthumbsupx enerio i laid out.

appfan2008
October 4th, 2007, 09:36 PM
looking forward to the griz playing someone so that they can prove that they are good

Grizaholic17
October 4th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I agree. I fully believe that they will accomplish the 1st scxthumbsupx enerio i laid out.

Darn, I like arguing with Appy's! It's my favorite. I do agree that Montana should be #2 or #3 though. Just for the record. We play better at those rankings anyway.

Retro
October 4th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Sorry guys, but If Mcneese runs the table, they will be a top 4 and maybe top 2 seed..

App's loss hurts them in this case. A loss is a loss, even if you went and beat what was then a top 5 FBS team. The NCAA doesn't give a free pass to teams with an FBS loss either..

App got a high seed with 2 losses to FBS teams before because there weren't teams with better records with a quality of schedule at that time..

Wofford's loss to NC State hurts them despite it being an FBS team, because you can't reward them for that and not reward Mcneese for beating another FBS team of similar quality even if they did beat app.

If there are undefeated teams in the scenerio as mentioned, they will get priority if they bid on the games and their attendance has been half way decent along with the strength of schedule..

It's a long way to go, so who knows how it all ends!xpeacex

FCS Go!
October 4th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Sorry guys, but If Mcneese runs the table, they will be a top 4 and maybe top 5 seed..

It's a long way to go, so who knows how it all ends!xpeacex

I think Mcneese is in the same boat as non-MT Big Sky teams- the conference is considered "weak" by the brainiacs in the East/South. Seriously do you think Mcneese would get the nod over an 11-0 UNI, 11-0 Montana, 10-1 App St or 11-0 Delaware? I don't. Mcneese might deserve it more (how anyone would determine that I have no idea) but the Southland's rep will hurt them.

JmuSkinsfan
October 4th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I'm still baffled by how JMU didn't get a home game last year. Our bid had to have been decent, and we average at least 15,000 per game for every game...

I guess once we get the new expansion done we will have better bids, but come on...we have to get a home playoff game ONE of these year...esp. if we go 9-2 (9-1 vs. FCS). I'm not advocating a top 4 seed in that scenario, but at least give us 1 home game opposed to sending us to the #4 team in the first round despite our #5 ranking in the polls!

Grizaholic17
October 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM
looking forward to the griz playing someone so that they can prove that they are good

Also, the Griz are playing an Eastern Washington team that was ranked in the top 25, but knocked down because of their loss to PSU I believe. So, Give them a break. ANd PSU will most likely be ranked when we play them, and MSU is ranked. Throw us a little bone people.

JmuSkinsfan
October 4th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Also, the Griz are playing an Eastern Washington team that was ranked in the top 25, but knocked down because of their loss to PSU I believe. So, Give them a break. ANd PSU will most likely be ranked when we play them, and MSU is ranked. Throw us a little bone people.

I'm using JMU as an example here because they are my team...but this is likely the case for most CAA / Gateway schools. Say JMU and Montana both go 10-1 (hypothetical)...who gets the higher seed? I have a feeling Montana would, despite JMu playing much tougher competition. So you play two ranked teams in Eastern Washington and Montana State...

JMU...at the time they play their opponents...

#5 UNH (W)
if the teams win out against weaker CAA teams before these matchups...
#10 (ish) Richmond
@ #5 / 6 (ish) Delaware

Again, pure speculation and I'm just using JMU to represent the CAA / Gateway teams vs. Montana in SOS....but I'm afraid in this situation the committee would go purely based upon prestige and give the higher seed to Montana...but I feel like that's been established...and agreed upon, by everyone including montana fans. I don't mean to drive this point into the ground but just wanted to give my $.02

McNeese75
October 4th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I think Mcneese is in the same boat as non-MT Big Sky teams- the conference is considered "weak" by the brainiacs in the East/South. Seriously do you think Mcneese would get the nod over an 11-0 UNI, 11-0 Montana, 10-1 App St or 11-0 Delaware? I don't. Mcneese might deserve it more (how anyone would determine that I have no idea) but the Southland's rep will hurt them.

An 11-0 McNeese team is NOTHING like a non Mt BSC team. xnonox

Carry on with the conjecture as I doubt the committee will have the issue of dealing with 4 undefeated teams in the seedings. Somebody is going to slip xnodx

Grizaholic17
October 4th, 2007, 10:09 PM
An 11-0 McNeese team is NOTHING like a non Mt BSC team. xnonox

Carry on with the conjecture as I doubt the committee will have the issue of dealing with 4 undefeated teams in the seedings. Somebody is going to slip xnodx

xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex Nice words of wisdom there!

FCS Go!
October 4th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I'm using JMU as an example here because they are my team...but this is likely the case for most CAA / Gateway schools. Say JMU and Montana both go 10-1 (hypothetical)...who gets the higher seed? I have a feeling Montana would, despite JMu playing much tougher competition. So you play two ranked teams in Eastern Washington and Montana State...

A 10-1 Montana team won't get a seed unless everyone else is 9-2 or worse. A first round home game? Sure but no seed.

Grizaholic17
October 4th, 2007, 10:15 PM
A 10-1 Montana team won't get a seed unless everyone else is 9-2 or worse. A first round home game? Sure but no seed.

xnonox I would beg to differ. The committee knows what they want.

xthumbsupx $$$xthumbsupx

blur2005
October 4th, 2007, 10:24 PM

JMU...at the time they play their opponents...

#5 UNH (W)
if the teams win out against weaker CAA teams before these matchups...
#10 (ish) Richmond
@ #5 / 6 (ish) Delaware

Again, pure speculation and I'm just using JMU to represent the CAA / Gateway teams vs. Montana in SOS....but I'm afraid in this situation the committee would go purely based upon prestige and give the higher seed to Montana...but I feel like that's been established...and agreed upon, by everyone including montana fans. I don't mean to drive this point into the ground but just wanted to give my $.02
We know that if JMU goes 10-1, the committee will STILL find a way to give the Dukes a road game...which is the most mysterious and incomprehensible occurrence every postseason.

FCS Go!
October 4th, 2007, 10:26 PM
xnonox I would beg to differ. The committee knows what they want.

xthumbsupx $$$xthumbsupx

Oh come on! We know where that loss is likely to come from- the last game of the season. A loss that late would kill Montana's chance of a seed.

Even if the loss happened earlier do you seriously think a one loss Griz team would get a seed over an 11-0 team from the CAA, Gateway or Southland? A 10-1 JMU, App St, Delaware, UNI, Youngstown or even Wofford would get the seed over MT. The NCAA and MT would still get their first round cash cow in WaGriz against some poor 3rd place team from the south/east.

It's all hyperbole though. The Griz will win out.xthumbsupx

blur2005
October 4th, 2007, 10:26 PM
No, a 10-1 Montana team could well get a seed. All this talk of winning out is probably in error as teams ALWAYS falter one week. App State, for example, had their bad week (no offense to Wofford, who played a lot better that game...and the Terriers will probably have their bad game eventually). UNI or SIU are going to lose, and maybe both, along with Youngstown State; Delaware is going to lose a game along the way...UMass may as well.

Grizaholic17
October 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM
No, a 10-1 Montana team could well get a seed. All this talk of winning out is probably in error as teams ALWAYS falter one week. App State, for example, had their bad week (no offense to Wofford, who played a lot better that game...and the Terriers will probably have their bad game eventually). UNI or SIU are going to lose, and maybe both, along with Youngstown State; Delaware is going to lose a game along the way...UMass may as well.

A man who knows what he's talking about everyone! I applaud.xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

JmuSkinsfan
October 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM

No, but it's true. Its so early in the season, so much can happen. The top 4 seeds will likely have the records 10-1, 10-1, 9-2, 9-2

Peems
October 4th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Peems:

I was responding to Mcevryl, sorry if you were confused.

WoCoTerrier
October 4th, 2007, 10:42 PM

Sorry, we already had our bad week against NC State.

AZGrizFan
October 5th, 2007, 01:15 AM

I'll take that bet. But it won't matter, because not everybody else will be 9-2 or worse. I will bet you 20 bucks the Griz are seeded no lower than 3rd.

james_lawfirm
October 5th, 2007, 08:06 AM
I was responding to Mcevryl, sorry if you were confused.

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. Sorry. Won't happen again. I still thought I made at least one good point somewhere in that post. (Just not sure where.)

GannonFan
October 5th, 2007, 08:12 AM
We know that if JMU goes 10-1, the committee will STILL find a way to give the Dukes a road game...which is the most mysterious and incomprehensible occurrence every postseason.

You JMU guys are just paranoid - it's not like JMU gets screwed every postseason - heck, you've only been in the postseason twice since 1999 anyway so it's not even like you guys are in it every year to be screwed. You got sent on the road in 2004 because you guys got outbid by Lehigh - that's JMU's fault. And then last year you got sent to YSU because every now and then that happens - SIU had to go to UD in 2003 despite winning the Gateway and both being in the top 3 of the GPI - it happens to other non-JMU teams all the time. One time being screwed isn't a pattern.

Saint3333
October 5th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Yeah but does ASU make as much money? Don't they stuff some fans into those hillsides for extra cheap and/or free?

Also if ASU drops one or 2 more games will they continue to sell out?

Where do you get your info from? Seats on the hill go for the same price as the stands either $20 or $25 depending on the game.

Will they continue to sell out. Well G-Webb and GSU are sold out, 4,000 and 1,500 hill tickets are sold for WCU and UTC respectively so yes they will.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 5th, 2007, 09:22 AM
No one is paranoid, but remember that many JMU posters are still newbies, myself included (been around since about 2003 or so...).

What the anger is all about actually has very little to do with being "screwed" by the committee, but rather being "screwed" by our admin who fail miserably in the PR department. We want a bigger stadium. We got news that a stadium ultimately reaching 40-45K capacity down the road (30+ years down the road mind you) is in the works. We were told last year we would get visuals, etc., only to be told to wait until the after the BOV meets in the fall. Well, the BOV met last Friday - not a word about the football program in their meeting. Still no news.

What do we have? A pending lawsuit because JMU took the road less traveled (opportunities for student athletes), had waayyyy too many sports that could not compete, and now had to cut sports to comply with Title IX Legislation. The lawsuit by EIA (Equity in Athletics) was thrown out by a judge, but the appeal process is still underway. In truth (as it seems to me), our cowardly admin do not say a word about the millions it will cost to expand Bridgeforth Stadium - a move that would put us in the league of Delaware, App St., YSU, etc. in terms of attendance and potential $$$ for home playoff games - for fear of having their plans be used against them in a court of law, albeit the cutting of sports has very little to do with financial operations in the athletic department. However, cutting sports does allow for the same budget to be used for efficiently to create more competitive teams (i.e. full scholarships as opposed to partial scholarships in golf, tennis, etc. non-olympic sports like all of our rival institutions).

So I guess you're right, JMU is paranoid, but it is not the fans. Rant over. xpeacex

Seeds will be:

#1 UNI
#2 Montana
#3 Umass
#4 App St/ McNeese St.

All this will change in a couple weeks though, except for Montana. No doubt they are on track for a seed as usual. xcoffeex

Khan4Cats
October 5th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Good discussion, which is what I was hoping for-not just a jump on Montana session, but actual arguments for different seeds.

I tried to pick certain teams because of both potential records and reputation for seeding. It was interesting that McNeese wasn't even commented on until about the 6th page of responses. There is a traditional power, that has as good a tradition at drawing fans, and has a real good shot at being undefeated given the Southland's inconsistency (or dip, as some might say). I think they would almost certainly have a seed if they stay unbeaten.

I agree that Montana has a real good shot at staying unbeaten, which also almost certainly garner a seed.

I put UNI/SIU together because both cannot stay unbeaten, but if SIU gets through YSU and UNI in the next two weeks, the schedule opens for them to run the table. But if either of them make it through the Gateway unbeaten it will have been a major accomplishment and worthy of a seed. I could have included YSU as well, but thye have to go to both SIU (this week) and UNI (10/27).

I had to pick and choose from the CAA. I kept UMass because they are rated highest now and will only climb if they run the table. I chose Delaware over Hoftsra, JMU, and Richmond (the other unbeaten CAA teams) but you could have put any of them in. I guess if Delaware, of that group, were to finish unbeaten and in a tie with UMass, they would be the one most likely to jump UMass for a seed. Hofstra can only go unbeaten by beating UMass. JMU could end in a tie with UMass (10-1 overall) but I think UMass would get the nod plus I gave Delaware an advantage because they get JMU at home, Richmond could also run the table, but like JMU, I don't see them taking a nod from UMass.
Again, like the Gateway, if any team runs the CAA unbeaten, it will have been a major accomplishment and worthy of a seed.

That brings us to the SoCon. Wofford could run the table and get the auto bid from the conference, yet ASU could also run the table and bring an argument for a seed because of seating capacity.

Like I said, this has been some good discussion. It's a long way to go yet and things will undoubtably get shaken up by some unexpected happenings along the way. I'm sure the discussions will just get more interesting as we go. But what the heck, UNI is off this week and I needed something to ponder. Hope everyone has fun this weekend, I get to do yard work!

Black Saturday
October 5th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan4Cats
Okay, I'm bored and really wanted to start another thread where Griz and Bison fans can start sniping at each other.

"In your scenario, the seeds would be as follows:

#3 Northern Iowa
#4 UMass

Wofford gets woffed again because the committee does not want a semi-final game on national TV played in front of 6,147 people."

I think you are right on if this is the scenario to be.

FWIW, APP is probably leading in average attendance this year over 28k per game

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Okay, I'm bored and really wanted to start another thread where Griz and Bison fans can start sniping at each other.

#3 Northern Iowa
#4 UMass

Wofford gets woffed again because the committee does not want a semi-final game on national TV played in front of 6,147 people."

The "dirty little secret" of Montana's SOS will play out by then and they will lose to MSU, anyway. App State will lose at GSU.

Northern Iowa takes the #1 seed.

srgrizizen
October 5th, 2007, 01:06 PM
The "dirty little secret" of Montana's SOS will play out by then and they will lose to MSU, anyway. App State will lose at GSU.

Pretty hard to call the UM SOS a secret after the topic has absolutely dominated this board for two months.

But here's the real scoop on seeding: WA-GRIZ stadium starts every season with one of the four seeds. Then, regardless of record, the Griz team just has has to show up and play. Frankly, I don't see how they've ever won a playoff game!

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Pretty hard to call the UM SOS a secret after the topic has absolutely dominated this board for two months.

But here's the real scoop on seeding: WA-GRIZ stadium starts every season with one of the four seeds. Then, regardless of record, the Griz team just has has to show up and play. Frankly, I don't see how they've ever won a playoff game!

I was talking about the nation at large.

But, you're right. They sit fat, dumb and happy in Missoula, their "auto-auto" already in Indianapolis for the Selection Committee.

xnodx xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

texcap
October 5th, 2007, 01:11 PM

App State may lose to GSU, but if they do it will be in Boone and not at GSU.

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 01:14 PM
App State may lose to GSU, but if they do it will be in Boone and not at GSU.

Gotcha, Tex!

UncleSam
October 5th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Quote:

#3 Northern Iowa
#4 UMass

If Delaware goes 11-0 and UMass 10-1, you can bet your bottom dollar that UD will get a seed over UMass, they would have played a more difficult schedule and would attract far larger crowds ($$$).

Umass74
October 5th, 2007, 01:51 PM
If Delaware goes 11-0 and UMass 10-1, you can bet your bottom dollar that UD will get a seed over UMass, they would have played a more difficult schedule and would attract far larger crowds ($$$).

How do figure that? The Hens would only have 10 DI wins---- same as UMass and a win over a "mid-major". Delaware's OOC is much weaker than UMass'.

Also UMass sold out our last playoff game.

UncleSam
October 5th, 2007, 02:00 PM
UD's conference schedule is stronger and they would have a FBS win (Navy), while UMass would have a FBS loss.

also, never discount the $$$ factor. UD wins there too.

KAUMASS
October 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I believe UMass has a member on the selection committee this year to bring those points out posted by UMass74 IF those scenarios play out. We still have 6 weeks of football left, alot of things can happen. I wouldn't get to riled up yet.

GannonFan
October 5th, 2007, 02:03 PM
How do figure that? The Hens would only have 10 DI wins---- same as UMass and a win over a "mid-major". Delaware's OOC is much weaker than UMass'.

Also UMass sold out our last playoff game.

Conference schedule is easier. You miss Richmond, JMU, and UD and instead play W&M, Towson, and nova. All 3 of those top teams from the South play each other and still get UNH from the North. And it's not like UMass's OOC was that stellar - feasting on a down Patriot League this year isn't that impressive.

mcveyrl
October 5th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I believe UMass has a member on the selection committee this year to bring those points out posted by UMass74 IF those scenarios play out. We still have 6 weeks of football left, alot of things can happen. I wouldn't get to riled up yet.

Doesn't he have to step out of the room when UMass is considered, like in basketball?

I thought so, but I could be way off. I'm really not sure.

HensRock
October 5th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Then your member on the committee would have to leave the room when talking about UMass. It would be for his own good too, because he would have a lot of 'splainin to do if UMass got a seed over UD when UD was the conferece's autobid - and if both win out with UMass at 10-1 and UD at 11-0 (which is the case we're talking about here) that's exactly how it plays out. But you are right in that we're getting way ahead of ourselves here. Still a lot of football to play before we need to start worrying about this stuff.

Umass74
October 5th, 2007, 02:12 PM
UD's conference schedule is stronger and they would have a FBS win (Navy), while UMass would have a FBS loss.

also, never discount the $$$ factor. UD wins there too.

Nope, don't buy it. Delaware's DII win drops them to only 10 DI wins. That's a major hit.

If you are going to take into account conference difficultly then you have to take into account OOC difficulty.

UncleSam
October 5th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I agree that there is little chance that UD will finish 11-0, they still have UNH, JMU, Richmond and Navy, so I'd say 9-2 or 8-3 is far more likely than 11-0. I do think UMass, considering their schedule, has a real good chance to finish 10-1.

UncleSam
October 5th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Nope, don't buy it. Delaware's DII win drops them to only 10 DI wins. That's a major hit.

If you are going to take into account conference difficultly then you have to take into account OOC difficulty.

Not that it will happen, but it's money in the bank, that an 11-0 Delaware team gets a seed in any FCS playoff. xnodx

ps.. UMass lost to their ONLY good OCC opponent

BestOfBreed
October 5th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Then your member on the committee would have to leave the room when talking about UMass. It would be for his own good too, because he would have a lot of 'splainin to do if UMass got a seed over UD when UD was the conferece's autobid - and if both win out with UMass at 10-1 and UD at 11-0 (which is the case we're talking about here) that's exactly how it plays out.

He has to leave the room when they discuss UMass but he'll be there when they discuss UD (and other potential seeds). I'm sure he'll have great things to say about UD and those other teams if UMass has a shot at a seed xwhistlex

HensRock
October 5th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Read the CAA Tiebreaker format. A UD win over FBS Navy would more than make up for the Div-II game.

Delaware would be the CAA autobid in this scenario.

KAUMASS
October 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Here is the link to the bylaw for the committee member.

www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=37174

Click on the 2006 Division playoff Handbook...it is on pg 6. There are 22 pages with some neat info and who is on the panel this year.

Umass74
October 5th, 2007, 02:27 PM
He has to leave the room when they discuss UMass but he'll be there when they discuss UD (and other potential seeds). I'm sure he'll have great things to say about UD and those other teams if UMass has a shot at a seed

The UMass rep is the Chairman of this year's committee. :)

KAUMASS
October 5th, 2007, 02:33 PM
With the utmost respect for UD, beat UNH Saturday and then we can talk.xthumbsupx

HensRock
October 5th, 2007, 02:34 PM
With the utmost respect for UD, beat UNH Saturday and then we can talk.xthumbsupx

Agreed! xthumbsupx

AppGirl
October 7th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Now that we've got the longest current win streak, at home, can we talk? xrulesx xcoffeex

drpnut
October 7th, 2007, 08:45 PM
AppGirl

You are a pretty knowledgable "footballer". So let's talk seeds.

I believe if both Wofford and App win out both will get seeds, Woffy gets no.3 and you guys get no. 4, If UMass wins out they get no. 1 and UNI gets no. 2.

Holla

drpnut
October 7th, 2007, 08:47 PM
News flash to all of you Griz-maniacs.

No way will Montana run the table and get a seed. Very suspect win leaves me with a lot of doubts, and Mont. is my favorite FCS team after my Wofford T-Dogs, and JMU

Holla

woffordgrad94
October 7th, 2007, 09:17 PM
If we go 10-1 and we get shipped out to a 9-2 Montana, I'll be pissed.

T-Dog
October 7th, 2007, 10:22 PM
If Woffy and App win out they should both get seeds. If Wofford loses, they don't get a seed. Same with App.

umassfan
October 7th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Agreed! xthumbsupx

Well I guess that didnt happen.

UNHWildCats
October 7th, 2007, 11:00 PM
can we give UNH all 4 seeds? :p

T-Dog
October 7th, 2007, 11:19 PM
can we give UNH all 4 seeds? :p

You'll still lose before the semis.

UNHWildCats
October 7th, 2007, 11:21 PM
i dunno if were a seed in each group, certainly there will have to be a matchup that we can win :p

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2007, 11:41 PM
This speculation is a complete waste of time at this point. Most of the top 10 will lose at least once in the next 6 weeks, a few 2 times. I wouldn't be shocked to see a current top 10 drop 3. Look at I-A, 9 of the top 10 from 2 weeks ago lost in a 2 week period. I wouldn't even waste time speculating now- wait till early Nov.

T-Dog
October 7th, 2007, 11:44 PM
i dunno if were a seed in each group, certainly there will have to be a matchup that we can win :p

Not a chance. You'd drop two games at home in the 1st half and tow in the 2nd round. You'd outgain your opponets 700- 150 in each game but lose 22-17.