PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky predictions-Week 6

JALMOND
October 4th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Well, here we are already in week six in the Big Sky. A full slate of conference games on tap, only Montana State is not playing a conference game (odd number of teams, odd team out). An interesting slate this week. Upstart Sac State goes to Ogden to face Weber's defense, Eastern heads to Missoula to play the Grizzlies and, out of all the teams in the Big Sky, it seems the Eagles are the least intimidated by Wash-Griz, and Northern Arizona heads to Portland State where the Vikings could gain the outright lead in the conference with a win. With all that, here are my predictions for this weekend. Currently I am sitting at 28-3 and have not missed a pick since week 3. We'll see how these turn out.

EWU @ UM---Eagles are smarting from the home loss to Portland State last week and now have to go to the Grizzly den to face Montana. On the other hand, the Griz got all they could handle from a pesky Weber team. One of the better games on the docket and, contrary to last week, both offenses show up...UM 41, EWU 33.

Southern Utah @ MSU---The Cats take a break from conference play to entertain Southern Utah of the Great West conference. The Thunderbirds started off the year against the Griz and are playing a murderous schedule. Homecoming in Bozeman and a Cat victory...MSU 35, Southern Utah 14.

NAU @ PSU---The Vikings are flying high after a tough road win against EWU. NAU needs some love after a terrible road loss at Sacramento last week. Portland State is on a roll and the run and shoot seems to be clicking, at least for now. The Jacks need this win to right the ship. The question, can they do it in Portland?...PSU 28, NAU 20.

UNC @ ISU---The Bears offense made some progress last week against Cal Poly, the Bears defense still is the same. The Bengals looked good the first half against MSU, the second half was terrible. Battle for the Basement in the Big Sky (or maybe a spark to jumpstart the season)...ISU 28, UNC 21.

Sac State at WSU---The Hornets bounced NAU last week at home while the Wildcats gave the Griz everything they could handle, yet WSU came out short. Sooner or later the Wildcat offense has to produce because the defense will keep the team in the game. A low scoring game favors the Wildcats...WSU 13, Sac State 10.

So there they are, and I'm predicting the home team will hold serve. Maybe a stretch taking WSU and once again PSU, but it is tough for anyone to win on the road in conference games and maybe this week will show it.

AZGrizFan
October 4th, 2007, 02:18 AM
#1, I don't think EWU puts up 33. But then again, I don't think Montana scores 41. I'm thinking more like 27-13 or 27-17.

#2, UNC is so bad, ISU should beat them by significantly more than that.

#3, I honestly think Weber gets beat by Sac State. Remember, Weber lost their best defensive player on a questionable block by a Griz O-lineman....

SactoHornetFan
October 4th, 2007, 10:41 AM
EWU @ UM: The Griz finally had competition last week and scared the heck out of Hauck. PSU finally brought EWU down to reality after their fast start. Even though EWU is has been the most successful team to win in Wash-Griz, it will not happen this time. UM 28, EWU 14.

SUU @ MSU: MSU right now is at the top of my BSC power rankings. They have proved that the coaching change has not had any bad lingering effects and I think they are a better team because of it. SUU, is just simply bad. The Bobcats in a rout. MSU 38, SUU 7.

NAU @ PSU: PSU seems to have figured out (more like Mouse) that if you are going to keep White alive (not just healthy), you need to do the R&S out of the 'Gun. Fortunately, it paid off as the Viks were able to come back and beat EWU. NAU, well, their season ended last week in our crib. With Kriesen hurt, there is no way they win. PSU 34, NAU 10.

UNC @ ISU: You know, there is a soft spot in my heart for UNC, only becasue we were there 10 years ago. We went 0-8, 1-10 in our first year in 1996 in the Sky. In 1997, we went 1-7, 1-10 with our lone win against ISU. Of course for us, that game was played at Hornet Stadium. History repeats itself and UNC gets their lone win of 2007, "upsetting" ISU at the Dome. UNC 17, ISU 10.

Now for my game of the week.

SAC @ WSU: Wow. I have never seen our defense as dominate as they were against NAU last week. The offense, feeding off what our D did, responded. Even though Smith's numbers were not great (13-32-2), he still managed two TD throws and scored one on a run to go with 233 yds in the air. I think he gained some major confidence in his game and will come out again firing. Our defense, what can I say. Outstanding.

Weber's defense took a major hit with that disgusting cut block on Johnson which will probably end his career, which is sad. He was a major presence on their pass defense. If Smith gets going, I think Weber will have a tough time because he a catalyst for them. Their one black mark on defense is their rush defense where they are allowing 205 yds a game. If Jones or Hilliard get their momentum, then it could be a long day for the Wildcats.

On offense, WSU is also starting a freshman qb in Cam Higgins. In his starting debut against the Griz, he was 13-27-1 for 133 yds in a very hostile environment. He will have to face a Hornet Defense who has recorded 18 sacks this year, second most in Div. I-FCS. If our D gets rolling and keeps up the pressure, Higgins could be also in for a long day.

In the end, I think with our offense finally jelling and our defense continuing to show why its one of the better ones in FCS, I think the Hornets finally get their first win at Stewart Stadium.

SAC 31, WSU 14.

catbob
October 4th, 2007, 11:09 AM
You guys posting this over at www.bigskyfans.com? :)

already123
October 4th, 2007, 11:44 AM
good predictions. I think Sac pulls out a win however.

Im gonna go with the upset....UNC OVER ISU 24-20

ncbears
October 4th, 2007, 12:05 PM
That's two people for UNC against ISU. I don't know. It's possible but we always struggle against ISU. I'm gonna pick the Bungals beating the Cubs. 21 - 7.

I'll go with Jalmonds picks the rest of the way.

Green Cookie Monster
October 4th, 2007, 03:20 PM
It's homecoming for the Bengals, that is worth 6 points. Sorry, Bears, I think ISU will win this game. You will win at your homecoming the following week.

As for Sac State, the game will be 28-24, it's a tossup. Until the team can prove to me that last week wasn't a fluke, I'll start letting my heart vote again.

DuckDuckGriz
October 4th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I think the Bengals will roll UNC, they have way more speed.

Grizaholic17
October 4th, 2007, 04:35 PM
#1, I don't think EWU puts up 33. But then again, I don't think Montana scores 41. I'm thinking more like 27-13 or 27-17.

#2, UNC is so bad, ISU should beat them by significantly more than that.

#3, I honestly think Weber gets beat by Sac State. Remember, Weber lost their best defensive player on a questionable block by a Griz O-lineman....

Very True. But I would be put this game at an even closer margin. Given their record, they deserve some credit. They scare the Griz this week, and it will be closer to 24-20. I hope not, but that is my guess.

Peems
October 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Good predictions by everyone, most of the games should be tight, save the Cat game.

catbob
October 6th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Good predictions by everyone, most of the games should be tight, save the Cat game.

Well considering there are a couple inches of snow on the ground, anything could happen today. :(

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
October 6th, 2007, 11:37 AM
I honestly think UNC's only going to win one game this year and it won't be against ISU. I attend the USD games here and i've seen UNC play and it can't be described as anything more than sad...I really hope they pull one out because I've started to feel sorry for them but I just don't think it'll happen

DaBears
October 6th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I honestly think UNC's only going to win one game this year and it won't be against ISU. I attend the USD games here and i've seen UNC play and it can't be described as anything more than sad...I really hope they pull one out because I've started to feel sorry for them but I just don't think it'll happen

Wow thanks for the vote of confidence saying UNC will win a game this year! I feel like we might beat Prairie View A&M's losing streak record.

Mike Johnson
October 7th, 2007, 01:00 AM
I appreciate all those votes of confidence for Weber State (none here that I can find). It is about time Weber State put together a good game on both sides of the field.

Also, it looks like SUU with snow and mud was able to almost keep up with Montana State.

I Bleed Purple
October 7th, 2007, 01:37 AM
I appreciate all those votes of confidence for Weber State (none here that I can find). It is about time Weber State put together a good game on both sides of the field.
I work too much, so I can't post much during the week. Besides, what reasons did we have to receive any votes of confidence? Bodes well with an easier schedule and an offense.

DuckDuckGriz
October 7th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Weber looks pretty dang good and I'm glad we're done with them this year because they'll only get better.

JALMOND
October 7th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Well, here we are already in week six in the Big Sky. A full slate of conference games on tap, only Montana State is not playing a conference game (odd number of teams, odd team out). An interesting slate this week. Upstart Sac State goes to Ogden to face Weber's defense, Eastern heads to Missoula to play the Grizzlies and, out of all the teams in the Big Sky, it seems the Eagles are the least intimidated by Wash-Griz, and Northern Arizona heads to Portland State where the Vikings could gain the outright lead in the conference with a win. With all that, here are my predictions for this weekend. Currently I am sitting at 28-3 and have not missed a pick since week 3. We'll see how these turn out.

EWU @ UM---Eagles are smarting from the home loss to Portland State last week and now have to go to the Grizzly den to face Montana. On the other hand, the Griz got all they could handle from a pesky Weber team. One of the better games on the docket and, contrary to last week, both offenses show up...UM 41, EWU 33.

Southern Utah @ MSU---The Cats take a break from conference play to entertain Southern Utah of the Great West conference. The Thunderbirds started off the year against the Griz and are playing a murderous schedule. Homecoming in Bozeman and a Cat victory...MSU 35, Southern Utah 14.

NAU @ PSU---The Vikings are flying high after a tough road win against EWU. NAU needs some love after a terrible road loss at Sacramento last week. Portland State is on a roll and the run and shoot seems to be clicking, at least for now. The Jacks need this win to right the ship. The question, can they do it in Portland?...PSU 28, NAU 20.

UNC @ ISU---The Bears offense made some progress last week against Cal Poly, the Bears defense still is the same. The Bengals looked good the first half against MSU, the second half was terrible. Battle for the Basement in the Big Sky (or maybe a spark to jumpstart the season)...ISU 28, UNC 21.

Sac State at WSU---The Hornets bounced NAU last week at home while the Wildcats gave the Griz everything they could handle, yet WSU came out short. Sooner or later the Wildcat offense has to produce because the defense will keep the team in the game. A low scoring game favors the Wildcats...WSU 13, Sac State 10.

So there they are, and I'm predicting the home team will hold serve. Maybe a stretch taking WSU and once again PSU, but it is tough for anyone to win on the road in conference games and maybe this week will show it.

Looks like 4-1 this week (thank you Weber). Would have had another perfect week if Glanville's gamble paid off. Oh well, my overall record now is 32-4 and I'd say not too bad.

Peems
October 7th, 2007, 09:41 PM

and tight they were, save the Weber game xlolx