PDA

View Full Version : Great West Football

USDFAN_55
October 3rd, 2007, 10:55 PM
I was curious what you guys think might happen with the Great West Football Conference after this seaon? Are there any schools that are going to replace North Dakota State or South Dakota State? I can't see the conference going on much longer with only 3 members.

poly51
October 3rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
I was curious what you guys think might happen with the Great West Football Conference after this seaon? Are there any schools that are going to replace North Dakota State or South Dakota State? I can't see the conference going on much longer with only 3 members.

North Dakota State and South Dakota State are being replaced by the University of North Dakota and the University of South Dakota starting next year.

Model Citizen
October 3rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
No, USD isn't joining.

USDFAN_55
October 3rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
North Dakota State and South Dakota State are being replaced by the University of North Dakota and the University of South Dakota starting next year.

Any more teams that are interested? I would think you would want at least the minimum number of teams required to get an AQ.

footballer23
October 3rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
No, USD isn't joining.

Are you referring to University of South Dakota or University of San Diego?

Model Citizen
October 3rd, 2007, 11:05 PM
San Diego. Never gave a thought to what South Dakota calls itself.

footballer23
October 3rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
San Diego. Never gave a thought to what South Dakota calls itself.

I was just confused because he put it right after the post that said South Dakota and North Dakota were in and I was trying to figure out why he was talking about San Diego... then I realized the person who started the thread is a San Diego fan... I'm good now, though! It just takes me awhile sometimes.

USDFAN_55
October 3rd, 2007, 11:12 PM
I was just confused because he put it right after the post that said South Dakota and North Dakota were in and I was trying to figure out why he was talking about San Diego... then I realized the person who started the thread is a San Diego fan... I'm good now, though! It just takes me awhile sometimes.

I have no clue why he thought I was going to turn this into a San Diego should join the GWFC. I was just wondering what the future for the GWFC looked like. What's the likelyhood of North Dakota and South Dakota jumping ship just as the state schools did at the first chance they get?

slostang
October 3rd, 2007, 11:42 PM
Both the University of North Dakota and the University of South Dakota have made a five year comitment to the GWFC. I would assume that means there are finacial penalties for leaving early.

As far as the University of San Diego, if they really want a shot at the playoffs the, GWFC would be a great fit. I know they say that the cost of scholarships makes this unlikely. If you want to compete in the playoffs with out scholarships, why not compete in a conference with or with out scholarships and prove that you can compete. The travel in the GWFC would have to be less than the PFL and UC Davis and Cal Poly could make for great rivalry games in the future.

The University of San Diego is a great school and San Diego is a great city. I would love to see the University of San Diego in the GWFC.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Both the University of North Dakota and the University of South Dakota have made a five year comitment to the GWFC. I would assume that means there are finacial penalties for leaving early.

As far as the University of San Diego, if they really want a shot at the playoffs the, GWFC would be a great fit. I know they say that the cost of scholarships makes this unlikely. If you want to compete in the playoffs with out scholarships, why not compete in a conference with or with out scholarships and prove that you can compete. The travel in the GWFC would have to be less than the PFL and UC Davis and Cal Poly could make for great rivalry games in the future.

The University of San Diego is a great school and San Diego is a great city. I would love to see the University of San Diego in the GWFC.

That conference would become very interesting very quickly, but what other team or teams could you add to get to the AQ quota?

USDFAN_55
October 4th, 2007, 12:15 AM
That conference would become very interesting very quickly, but what other team or teams could you add to get to the AQ quota?

My initial thought would be Humboldt State. I'm not sure if they would want to jump up the the FCS though.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2007, 12:24 AM
My initial thought would be Humboldt State. I'm not sure if they would want to jump up the the FCS though.

Yeah I never Even thought of them. Then you could have doormat to make the AQ. Does St. Mary's still have a football program or did they give it up?

slostang
October 4th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Yeah I never Even thought of them. Then you could have doormat to make the AQ. Does St. Mary's still have a football program or did they give it up?

St. Mary was a member of the GWFC for about a week. Shortly after the GWFC formed with NDSU, SDSU, UNC, Cal Poly, UC Davis, Southern Utah and St. Mary, St. Mary dropped their football program. They never played a game as a member of the GWFC.

I would rather see a DII team like Western Washington, Central Washington or Western Oregon join the GWFC. I do not see Humbolt joining.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2007, 12:36 AM
St. Mary was a member of the GWFC for about a week. Shortly after the GWFC formed with NDSU, SDSU, UNC, Cal Poly, UC Davis, Southern Utah and St. Mary, St. Mary dropped their football program. They never played a game as a member of the GWFC.

I would rather see a DII team like Western Washington, Central Washington or Western Oregon join the GWFC. I do not see Humbolt joining.

A couple of good choices there. West Wash, and Cent. Wash are both pretty good aren't they?

Model Citizen
October 4th, 2007, 12:50 AM
West Wash, and Cent. Wash are both pretty good aren't they?

I'm not impressed with Western Washington, which is 0-3 against their D-II opponents (two blowouts). Well, I guess they're better than Davis.

JBB
October 4th, 2007, 05:12 PM
The GWFC might have a nice future. 5 yrs is a long time. The charter members can probably still leave at will, like The Mighty Land Grants, but if it hangs together it could catch a break or two and become something formadable (auto bid).

The 2 Dakota Universities are also members of a scheduling alliance. It was started 4 years ago and included the XDSUs. It only had 4 or maybe 6 years to go for auto bid status. In time it could become something too.

wapiti
October 4th, 2007, 05:48 PM

Maybe even chadron state.

AggieFinn
October 4th, 2007, 06:13 PM
This is the Great West we're talking about - North Dakota/South Dakota has been the eastern limit so far, so a lot of good D-II programs could be a great fit. Chadron St., Western Washington, Central Washington, Southern Oregon, Humboldt St. (has some work to do), Nebraska-Omaha etc. etc. San Diego would be a good fit, but I'm curious as to how well they'll compete after Johnson is lost to graduation (...to the NFL).

JBB
October 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM
There is the moratorium, but that really gives schools a chance to plan. All of the schools mentioned could be ready to go in 5 yrs and ready to join the other alliance as well. It will be looking pretty good by then.

poly51
October 4th, 2007, 06:25 PM
The problem for a D-II school to move to FCS the rest of their athletic program has to go to D-I. That is a major jump. U San Diego is already D-I and FCS so they would only have to change football confrences.

USDFAN_55
October 4th, 2007, 06:28 PM
The problem for a D-II school to move to FCS the rest of their athletic program has to go to D-I. That is a major jump. U San Diego is already D-I and FCS so they would only have to change football confrences.

And withthe money they would save in not having to travel so much to the East coast could go towards athletic scholarships.

hebmskebm
October 4th, 2007, 06:41 PM
couldnt san diego join the gwfc with like 30-35 schollys, or is their a scholly minimum for the conference? id imagine san diego, with their reputation as a great academic school, could bring in some great west coast scholar athletes who could split those schollys up, pay half tuition, and still save a ton of money over going cross-country to play in the ivy leage or patriot. san diego is sort of on an island out on the west coast as an elite academic school with fcs football.

SochorField
October 4th, 2007, 08:17 PM
couldnt san diego join the gwfc with like 30-35 schollys, or is their a scholly minimum for the conference? id imagine san diego, with their reputation as a great academic school, could bring in some great west coast scholar athletes who could split those schollys up, pay half tuition, and still save a ton of money over going cross-country to play in the ivy leage or patriot. san diego is sort of on an island out on the west coast as an elite academic school with fcs football.

Not really. UC Davis and Cal Poly are elite academic schools. that makes 3 with FCS football in one state.

Mustang Man
October 4th, 2007, 10:43 PM
san diego is sort of on an island out on the west coast as an elite academic school with fcs football.

Elite? Cal Poly and UC Davis are chop liver? xrolleyesx

Surprised no one has mentioned Fort Lewis of Colorado.

DavisAggie
October 5th, 2007, 03:20 PM
This is the Great West we're talking about - North Dakota/South Dakota has been the eastern limit so far, so a lot of good D-II programs could be a great fit. Chadron St., Western Washington, Central Washington, Southern Oregon, Humboldt St. (has some work to do), Nebraska-Omaha etc. etc. San Diego would be a good fit, but I'm curious as to how well they'll compete after Johnson is lost to graduation (...to the NFL).

I would like the Great West to add Univ. of San Diego; they're a Tier 1 college like Cal Poly and UC Davis. It only makes sense.

I watched video on Johnson this past week, wow that kid can play. Losing him to graduation (NFL) is really going to hurt Univ. of San Diego football. We have a bye week before we play Univ. of San Diego, so we'll be ready to repeat last years performance and unfortunately for Johnson he'll lose his final college game.

But most importantly, my wife and I will be at the game - looking forward to watching Johnson in person.

GOTOREROS
October 5th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I would like the Great West to add Univ. of San Diego; they're a Tier 1 college like Cal Poly and UC Davis. It only makes sense.

I watched video on Johnson this past week, wow that kid can play. Losing him to graduation (NFL) is really going to hurt Univ. of San Diego football. We have a bye week before we play Univ. of San Diego, so we'll be ready to repeat last years performance and unfortunately for Johnson he'll lose his final college game.

But most importantly, my wife and I will be at the game - looking forward to watching Johnson in person.

Not going to argue with what you said. I think USD can win, but it will be a VERy tough game. Hopefully JJ can work some magic in his last regular season game! xsmiley_wix