PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent?

URMite
October 3rd, 2007, 08:47 AM
There are some teams with great traditions (or terrible ones). But Richmond has been top 20 and won bowl games in FBS, we've been a few times to the FCS playoffs, sometimes winning a game.

And yet if we go 6-5 or better this year, it will mark the first time in the 125 yr history of our program that we have had 3 winning seasons in row. I find that an amazing stat for a team that occasionally is pretty good.

Could it be that we are actually developing a program instead of a 1 yr team?

We usually hear about great programs and sometimes about futile ones, but are there any other stories of roller coaster programs?

89Hen
October 3rd, 2007, 09:01 AM
What you're describing is normal for most CAA/A10/Yankee programs. Many have had decent 2-5 year runs but have had losing seasons between these periods. For example, when Maine made their run to two straight playoffs we heard about how they were building a program that would be near the top for some time to come, but here they are struggling to keep it at .500. UNH has been phenomenal with Santos at the helm, but they have a tough road to make the playoffs this year and we'll have to wait to see how they are without Santos. That's not to say their program isn't light years ahead of where they were just 5 years ago... they're talking about facility improvements, increased attendance, etc...

I think in general more of the CAA schools have realized the value in putting together a good program and not just throwing something on the field so students have something to go see on Saturdays. There may be a few left behind (URI, NU, Hofstra, VU) who decide they really just don't want to invest in it. UR has always fielded a competitive team and is making the right move in getting a better sized stadium on campus. I think you may see some more consistency out of your Spiders in the future, but with everyone else improving too, it may not result in more conference titles. xpeacex

DetroitFlyer
October 3rd, 2007, 09:16 AM
Just the opposite. Dayton has had winning seasons 29 out of the last 30 years. ( Last year broke the streak when we finished 4-6 ). In addition, we have not been shut out in 346 consecutive games. ( The last time Dayton was shut out was 10/16/1976 against Marshall when we lost 9-0. ).

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 3rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
It's going to be very interesting to see where UNH goes the next few years. I'd like to see the talk of stadium improvements continue to show results. The new turf is a start. As long as Coach Mac is around we should be fine. But without continued upgrades who knows how long that would be.

To be a consistant program you need strong backing from the schools administration. UNH's new president is a Delaware guy so lets hope.

It's tough in the CAA (and other conferences I'm sure) to be at the top year after year. You need some breaks. U Maine last year lost 2 or 3 games that were very winnable. Delaware suffered thru injuries. The top programs bounce back from that. I see Richmond as a program headed in the right direction. I do question the limited seating in the new stadium.

Tribe4SF
October 3rd, 2007, 09:35 AM
What you're describing is normal for most CAA/A10/Yankee programs. Many have had decent 2-5 year runs but have had losing seasons between these periods. For example, when Maine made their run to two straight playoffs we heard about how they were building a program that would be near the top for some time to come, but here they are struggling to keep it at .500. UNH has been phenomenal with Santos at the helm, but they have a tough road to make the playoffs this year and we'll have to wait to see how they are without Santos. That's not to say their program isn't light years ahead of where they were just 5 years ago... they're talking about facility improvements, increased attendance, etc...

I think in general more of the CAA schools have realized the value in putting together a good program and not just throwing something on the field so students have something to go see on Saturdays. There may be a few left behind (URI, NU, Hofstra, VU) who decide they really just don't want to invest in it. UR has always fielded a competitive team and is making the right move in getting a better sized stadium on campus. I think you may see some more consistency out of your Spiders in the future, but with everyone else improving too, it may not result in more conference titles. xpeacex

Pretty clear take, 89. Talk of programs becoming consistent winners has to be viewed in the context of an increasingly competitive conference. Same with writing off a program as no longer competitive, as Bruce Dowd has done with W&M.

Richmond has the right coach in place, but I think most expect his stay there will be limited. Their new stadium will be nice, but is too small. Why anyone would plan a stadium that won't hold your largest recent crowds is beyond me. They had over 11,000 for JMU last year...believe new stadium will help attendance...and plan it for 9,000? Get some consultation from that fine business school up there!xsmhx

URMite
October 3rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I do see us overcoming adversity better than in past years, so that is promising.

I have been sceptical of the 9k figure as well, but I keep being told it is all that can be approved and that expansion approval is much easier. We shall see. Of course, we could just limit visitor tickets to 500. xwhistlex

BTW I didn't mean consistently winning the conference, just consistently being competitive.

And I still think 3 seasons in a row above .500 shouldn't be that difficult. I'm a little surprised we have never done it, even if we were a doormat more often than not in FBS.

brownbear
October 3rd, 2007, 01:15 PM
Brown went from 1st place (9-1) in the Ivy League in 2005 to last place (3-7) in 2006.

89Hen
October 3rd, 2007, 01:29 PM
They had over 11,000 for JMU last year...believe new stadium will help attendance...and plan it for 9,000?
I didn't know that. I thought the new one would hold 15k which IMO would be perfect for them.

89Hen
October 3rd, 2007, 01:30 PM
And I still think 3 seasons in a row above .500 shouldn't be that difficult. I'm a little surprised we have never done it, even if we were a doormat more often than not in FBS.
That is surprising to me too.

UNHWildCats
October 3rd, 2007, 01:32 PM

I think UNH has another great QB in Toman, he may not be as great as Santos, but he surely looks like he can come close, I think UNH will sustain the great play that we have seen over the past several years.

GannonFan
October 3rd, 2007, 01:42 PM
UNH isn't just a flash in the pan - for a long time UNH was a pretty decent program under previous coach Bill Bowes. McDonnell had some rocky years taking up the reins after Bowes retired in 1999, but he's turned things around nicely. Of course, he'll have to prove it's turned around for good with Santos graduating. But UNH was never "bad" - certainly didn't have tons of great years (not a lot of playoff appearances or wins), but they were never a dreg.

URMite
October 3rd, 2007, 02:10 PM
That is surprising to me too.

Finally decided to stop being lazy and check for myself instead relying on last year's promotional hype.

They are definitely looking at > .500 not equal to but still...

not forever - 1953-55 5-3-1, 5-4, 4-3-2
and 2 streaks in the 30s 3 & 4 years and that is it.

50 years is still a long time...