-Halftime

saint0917
September 3rd, 2005, 01:58 PM
Am I seeing this right

CCSU 15
'Gate 6
-Halftime

Yes your are my friend listen live here

CCSU vs Colgate Live (http://athletics.colgate.edu/Football/)

aceinthehole
September 3rd, 2005, 02:06 PM
Or you can listen at www.ccsubluedevils.com !

CCSU returns an INT for a 47-yard TD!

Central Connecticut State now up 21-6 with 8:00 left in the 3rd Q

umassfan
September 3rd, 2005, 02:10 PM
Wow looks like Tom had really turned this team around.

aceinthehole
September 3rd, 2005, 02:25 PM
End of the 3rd

CCSU 21 (with the ball)
'Gate 12

aceinthehole
September 3rd, 2005, 02:49 PM
Colgate has turned the ball over 7 times!

CCSU still up 21-19 with about 8:00 left in the game.

saint0917
September 3rd, 2005, 03:06 PM
27 seconds left it comes down to a Colgate FG, their on the 10 yard line. 13 must be freaking out. it's GOOD one point lead Colgate up by one

aceinthehole
September 3rd, 2005, 03:11 PM
CCSU is attempting a 30yrd FG to win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saint0917
September 3rd, 2005, 03:13 PM
it's good CCSU wins

FlyBoy8
GOOD!

WOW.

DFW HOYA
Now that was a wild finish: No time outs, :16 left, CCSU throws a 66 yard pass and gets out of bounds with :01 left to set up the FG.

Colgate announcer: "THE KICK IS....good."

aceinthehole
September 3rd, 2005, 03:14 PM
CCSU ends Colagte 17 game home win streak! Devils win, Devils win!

Central Conn wins 24-22

saint0917
September 3rd, 2005, 03:16 PM
Now that was a wild finish: No time outs, :16 left, CCSU throws a 66 yard pass and gets out of bounds with :01 left to set up the FG.

Colgate announcer: "THE KICK IS....good."

Ya that was funny, Congrats to CCSU, what a great game.

igo4uni
September 3rd, 2005, 03:20 PM
We may need to put Colgate13 on suicide watch. :(

peace

igo4uni

bkrownd
September 3rd, 2005, 03:31 PM
No more jokes about UMass scheduling "cupcake" CCSU from now on.

mainejeff
September 3rd, 2005, 03:35 PM
Great win for Central Connecticut. I think that you will see their program along with Albany and Stony Brook hook up with some from the A-10 (Maine, UNH, URI, and possibly UMass) to form a new I-AA Eastern conference eventually.

ISUMatt
September 3rd, 2005, 03:40 PM
WOW

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 3rd, 2005, 04:38 PM
Great win for Central Connecticut. I think that you will see their program along with Albany and Stony Brook hook up with some from the A-10 (Maine, UNH, URI, and possibly UMass) to form a new I-AA Eastern conference eventually.

JMHO -- Not a chance unless an Auto-bid becomes available, more teams can be added and the big "if" CCSU, UA and SBU increase scholarships. The recent NEC extension by Albany and Stony Brook doesn't give me the "warm fuzzies" about upgrades.

Do you really think that if during the next five years UNH and/or Maine has an opportunity to solidify their CAA Football alliance, that they'll say "no thanks" because they're waiting for CCSU, UA and SBU or because of allegiance to UMass/URI? I don't.

Great win CCSU!

saint0917
September 3rd, 2005, 04:59 PM
JMHO -- Not a chance unless an Auto-bid becomes available,

I think you only need a 6 team division to get an auto-bid, but you'll never see an Eastern Conference with those teams. Albany, Stony Brook, Umass, Maine, UNH, and URI, wont happen.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 3rd, 2005, 05:07 PM
I recognize that you only need 6 teams to be eligible for an autobid. But without expanding the playoff field or some league giving up their bid, no bids are available. And personally, I don't think a six team league provides enough stability to "bet the farm" on. Unless forced out of the CAA, I just don't see UNH or Maine giving that alliance up.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread. Look forward to more details on the Colgate-CCSU game from folks who attended.

89Hen
September 3rd, 2005, 05:23 PM
Central Conn wins 24-22
HOLY S! A CCSU fan! My deepest sympathy to 13 and the other Colgate fans, but welcome CCSU friend. Please stick around! Congrats on a big win! xprost2x

aceinthehole
September 3rd, 2005, 05:32 PM
I listened on www.ccsubluedevils.com

After the opening kickoff, 'Gate 1st play from scrimmage was a 66 pass play that put them in the red zone. CCSU held them to a FG. Central answered with a quick FG on its 3rd possession. CCSU didn't trail again, until :30 left in the game. Not much on O from 'Gate untill late in the 3rd Q. In the final :30, CCSU hit a 70 pass play to set up the game winning 33-yd FG!

Clearly this is an upset, but CCSU is well coached and has talent to compete with any team. Colgate was starting a new QB (as was Central) who had no experience and he threw 5 INTs. Colgate had 7 turnovers, and was very sloppy in their opening game. They will be a better team as the year progresses, but so too will CCSU.

CCSU hosts URI next week in new Britain! Now this will be a game they think they can win. Coach was very dissapointed in their game last season vs. the Rams becasue the Central kids didn't think they could win. Now I'm sure they feel different. Read the quotes from Masell and he is serious about creating a program, not a team, that can compete on a national IAA level. Masella created a "Tuchdown Club" with the support of the university and FB alumni (Scott Pioli, Mike Sherman, Dave Campo, etc) to raise funds to help the program. They are commited to building a winner and are recruiting very hard. Their goal is to compete with the Maines and New Hampshires of the IAA world.

Check out the recap and stats: http://ccsubluedevils.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/090305aaa.html

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2005, 07:07 PM
It was a heartbreaking loss no matter how you slice it :( :bawling: :( :bawling: :( :bawling:

From my perspective, the biggest thing was Colgate pretty much played like **** in the first half, and then improved only sporadically in the second. Poor tackling, missed blocks, overthrown passes, the Raiders just looked out of it most of the game. Slow, uninspired football.

I have a few beefs with the half-dozen holding/block-in-the-back calls I saw the refs miss against CCSU (not that I'm biased or anything ;) ), and I'm not really sure if they should have added the extra second onto the clock for the last field goal, but honestly, they shouldn't have made any kind of difference in the game. Perhaps if Saraceno hits the reciever for the TD on 3rd and goal early in the game, rather than overthrowing him, his confidence is up early on and the game turns out differently.

All that being said, CCSU played a great game, had a good and vocal fan group with them, and did everything they needed to for the win.

ngineer
September 3rd, 2005, 07:16 PM
I think today shows that the NEC is picking up the pace in getting players. Their biggest competition, so say the polls this year, is Monmouth who brought an inspired game to Lehigh today. As I've said earlier in the week, they have some players, especially at the skill positions which is always threatening. We played CCSU four or five years ago and it was a joke (58-10). Congrats on significant improvement.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 3rd, 2005, 07:22 PM
Colgate can't hang their head on this one. Everyone knew it was going to be a transition period of some sorts. There is still a lot of talent in Hamilton, NY just not much experience. This is probably the most shocking loss i've seen Colgate have since they lost to St. Mary's a few years ago. The most impressive part about Lehigh's run over the last 7 years is they haven't really had a loss like Colgate suffered today. Towson in '02 is the only one that comes to mind.

ngineer
September 3rd, 2005, 08:32 PM
I'm getting a little worried. It's after 9:30 p.m. and no word from the 'voice of reason' on the Board. Hope he hasn't taken this one too bad. How long before a 'missing persons report' can be filed? ;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 3rd, 2005, 08:34 PM
I'm getting a little worried. It's after 9:30 p.m. and no word from the 'voice of reason' on the Board. Hope he hasn't taken this one too bad. How long before a 'missing persons report' can be filed? ;)

He posted on the Don Henson small college board soon after the game was over. So it would appear he didn't drink the kool-aid.

89Hen
September 3rd, 2005, 08:45 PM
Clearly this is an upset, but CCSU is well coached and has talent to compete with any team.
It's nice having you here, but you will be called on comments like that. CCSU has NOT been competitive in any way with playoff conference OOC's in a LONG time.

URI 39 - CCSU 7
UNH 70 - CCSU 20
UMass 52 - CCSU 7
Maine 52 - CCSU 3
Lehigh 58 - CCSU 10

Sam Adams
September 3rd, 2005, 09:15 PM
This win and CCSU's performance last season indicates that Massella is a damn fine football coach. If CCSU continues on this trajectory, Massella will be on the short list for an A10 job.

colgate13
September 3rd, 2005, 09:57 PM
I am alive and well. Stunned and dissappointed, but alive. I gave my quick summary on the blog, but we played like ass in the first half and deserved to lose. I can only hope this is the wake up call the program needs. We've been coasting since 2003 and haven't shown the life that we once did.

I think 21 of the 24 points came off of turnovers. Our QB likely has one more half to get his act together. If we're going to have that kind of QB performance, I'd prefer it came out of a freshman. Otherwise, our defense did a pretty good job on the day except for a few blown coverages, one that cost the game.

I give a lot of credit to CCSU. They came out ready to play and had several chances to pack it in. Right off the bat, we hit a 60+ yard play and they hold us to a FG. They continued to hold tough through the 1st half and we looked tentative. No one is ready to take the offensive reigns. Then once we go ahead with 30 something second left, they come back and play like champions. I take my hat off to CCSU today. I also think Colgate better be thinking long and hard about what kind of season this will be. If this team shows up for the entire season, we'll be lucky to win 4 games.

I will be mourning for the rest of the weekend...

89Hen
September 3rd, 2005, 10:02 PM
Don't open the crapsville bar yet 13. You are tied for second in the Patriot. Only 1/2 game back of my favorite PL team. :p

Georgetown 1-0
Colgate 0-0
Lehigh 0-0
Lafayette 0-0
Holy Cross 0-0
Fordham 0-0
Bucknell 0-1

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2005, 10:14 PM
in the PL, yes.
Overall:
Georgetown 1-0
Holy Cross 1-0
Lafayette 1-0
Lehigh 1-0
Bucknell 0-1
Colgate 0-1
Fordham 0-1

Now why'd you have to go and ruin 89's words of encouragement for us? ;)

blukeys
September 3rd, 2005, 10:20 PM
Don't open the crapsville bar yet 13. You are tied for second in the Patriot. Only 1/2 game back of my favorite PL team. :p

Georgetown 1-0
Colgate 0-0
Lehigh 0-0
Lafayette 0-0
Holy Cross 0-0
Fordham 0-0
Bucknell 0-1

I've got a soft spot for G'town myself 89. My Dad attended the prep school and began his college career at G'town. He played on the 150lb. football team while at the prep school and made the college boxing team when he first matriculated to G'town (I think the Hoyas still have a boxing team). My Mom was responsible for Dad transferring to UD. After marriage she wanted to stay close to family in Wilm. De.. and so Dad gave up his G'town career.

I guess I could have been a G'town fan had it not been for my Mother. Wait, that would have been impossible! Well some things are inevitable.

aceinthehole
September 3rd, 2005, 11:40 PM
It's nice having you here, but you will be called on comments like that. CCSU has NOT been competitive in any way with playoff conference OOC's in a LONG time.

URI 39 - CCSU 7
UNH 70 - CCSU 20
UMass 52 - CCSU 7
Maine 52 - CCSU 3
Lehigh 58 - CCSU 10

My point was Central has NEVER PERFORMED to their potential in years past (as those scores certainly show), but IMHO they've always had some good talent and should have performed much better in those games. Of course our talent was/is not as deep as the Delawares of the world, but I'm certain we've had our share of kids that could play at a high IAA level.

Bottom line, I know one game isn't enough to predict how CCSU will perform against the top tier of IAA, but its a great start and Masella has me convienced that the future is bright in New Britain. Now I'd like to see them consistently play at this level every week, however for now we get to enjoy a big upset and lookk forward to URI's visit to CCSU next week! Can we do it 2 weeks in a row? I can't wait to find out.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 4th, 2005, 06:24 AM
One thing's for sure: Monmouth/CCSU is going to be one whale of a game.

MU Alum
September 4th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Great job by CCSU stepping up in thier OOC game and getting it done. I know alot of posters on here thought this would be a huge upset, but I knew the game could be close as long as your new QB played well. How did Harge play?

Go...gate
September 4th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Congratulations to Central Connecticut on a nice win which was no fluke. You guys played a great ganme and deserved the victory.

JALMOND
September 4th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Don't know much about Central Connecticut (we don't get much from you out here on the West Coast), but thanks to this board, we do know a lot about Colgate, and for you to beat them tells me alot about your team this year. Good luck to you this year.

Go...gate
September 4th, 2005, 04:59 PM
We're going to be OK, and we will have more than four victories :eek: by the time the season is over. CCSU was ready to play and deserved the win. We have work to do, but Biddle's players will accept the challenge.

colgate13
September 4th, 2005, 08:03 PM
How did Harge play?

Harge did not play. He's out indefinitely from what I understand with a medical issue.

I don't think his play would have made much difference. Our run defense actually had their heads on and were one of the bright spots of the game (along with our receiver play).

That said, CCSU w/Harge has to be even better than they were, so if he comes back, NEC folks should take notice.

MU Alum
September 5th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Harge did not play.
I don't think his play would have made much difference. Our run defense actually had their heads on and were one of the bright spots of the game

I dont know how you can rationalize that statement. Harge is their best player on offense and was one of the top 2 running backs in the NEC last season. I think he could have had a pretty good impact on the game. Im impressed that they still could come away with the victory considering they were replacing their QB from last year along with there main offensive player in Harge.

TigerFan17
September 5th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Colgate can't hang their head on this one. Everyone knew it was going to be a transition period of some sorts. There is still a lot of talent in Hamilton, NY just not much experience. This is probably the most shocking loss i've seen Colgate have since they lost to St. Mary's a few years ago. The most impressive part about Lehigh's run over the last 7 years is they haven't really had a loss like Colgate suffered today. Towson in '02 is the only one that comes to mind.

Woah woah woah...that year we were 6-5 and in the PL...its not like we were some NEC team that teams consistently stomped. We were a middle of the conference team. Granted, you were clearly picked to win, but don't make it out to sound like we were like a high school team. Everybody constantly trashing us is getting old. WE'RE NOT THAT BAD AND WE'RE ONLY GETTING BETTER.

In Towson's 37 seasons, they have a record of 201-169-4. Under current coach Gordy Combs, 73-64.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Woah woah woah...that year we were 6-5 and in the PL...its not like we were some NEC team that teams consistently stomped. We were a middle of the conference team. Granted, you were clearly picked to win, but don't make it out to sound like we were like a high school team.

If you read it again i was reaching with Towson in '02. I said Lehigh hadn't had a loss like Colgate had on Saturday and the only one that i could make some sort of connection with is Towson in '02. Towson wasn't bad in '02 but in terms of Lehigh's losses over the last 7 years that was probably the worst. Although i think most Lehigh fans would like to wipe '02 out of their memory due to the fact that something like 14-15 starters that year missed significant time during the season.

TigerFan17
September 5th, 2005, 12:51 PM
If you read it again i was reaching with Towson in '02. I said Lehigh hadn't had a loss like Colgate had on Saturday and the only one that i could make some sort of connection with is Towson in '02. Towson wasn't bad in '02 but in terms of Lehigh's losses over the last 7 years that was probably the worst. Although i think most Lehigh fans would like to wipe '02 out of their memory due to the fact that something like 14-15 starters that year missed significant time during the season.

Okay, thats fair. You have to try to understand what its like when people consider you a "doormat" team when your current coach holds a winning record with the team. We had a terrible season last year but that had to be expected...a middle of the pack PL team joining the A10 South! So, after one 3-8 season the I-AA football world considers us a doormat and its not at all true and is frustrating. I probably just over-reacted because I'm tired of hearing that junk. :)

colgate13
September 6th, 2005, 10:04 AM
I dont know how you can rationalize that statement. Harge is their best player on offense and was one of the top 2 running backs in the NEC last season. I think he could have had a pretty good impact on the game. Im impressed that they still could come away with the victory considering they were replacing their QB from last year along with there main offensive player in Harge.

I can easily rationalize that statement: I saw the offensive line play. Unless Harge is the next coming of Barry Sanders, he would not have had much of an impact IMO. There were no holes to run through. The run defense played pretty darn well. It wasn't like the backs that were in there didn't hit the hole hard enough or weren't fast enough to get outside.

TheValleyRaider
September 6th, 2005, 11:21 AM
13, I figure you're the guy to pose this question to:

Is there really any rhyme or reason to Biddle's poor record in opening games? Does it have something to do with the system the team uses? Does he need actual film of the opponents from the current season to gameplan better?

I generally feel better about the weekend and the season in general when I take from it that we played terribly, especially in the first half. If that was the best effort we could put forth, then it would be a long season. Knowing they'll improve gives me some hope that the rest of the season won't be like that.

Also, any comments on the Band from someone watching? We're looking for ways to better serve our audience. Comments/Criticisms welcome :nod:

colgate13
September 6th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I wish I had an answer to the opening game jinx. Even in the 2 wins, remember G'Town in 2003 was almost a loss. It's strange. Maybe it's the way the coaching staff performs, maybe it's pure coincidence, but I think it's more to do with who we schedule.

CCSU and G'Town are bad examples of a typical Colgate home opener. The remaining teams that are usually our openers have been UMass, Villanova twice, UConn twice, Richmond twice... see a pattern? We've been playing some of our toughest games, A-10 opponents, first! UMass was scheduled to be first this year but I believe I remember correctly in that we dropped Columbia from our bye week and instead added CCSU to open with this year. We did it for the next two years as well, throwing Monmouth in there to open before UMass. In general, I like the idea, but it appears to have bit us in the ass!

I too noticed that the sun did in fact come out the day after, and there is hope and things to be happy about in Colgate football land. We'll come to play next week. It might not be a win, but it will be a game.

As for the band, I think I was sitting a ways up from you. In general I think the band has gotten tighter than previous years, and you sound louder too. More members? the only comment I would offer is that I wish the band and/or cheerleaders started more fan chants. The main force I see doing that is the guy with the bull horn that sits below reserved seating!

Side note: What really struck me though was the number of cheerleaders we have. It's like 3x the number we used to have in the mid 90s.

89Hen
September 6th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Side note: What really struck me though was the number of cheerleaders we have. It's like 3x the number we used to have in the mid 90s.
And their breasts are probably bigger too. You're just getting to be a dirty old man 13. :p